PDA

View Full Version : Rajah's Top PS2 Games List

Pages : [1] 2

The Rick
November 6th, 2013, 11:05 PM
The Top 30 kinda
Playstation 2 Games

http://www.geekgamerz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/vilagszerte_leall_a_playstation_2_gyartasa_1-770x472.jpg

Wiki- (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2)

The PlayStation 2 (プレイステーション2 Pureisutēshon Tsū?, officially abbreviated as PS2 worldwide) is a video game console that was manufactured by Sony Computer Entertainment. It was released on March 4, 2000, in Japan followed by North America and Europe later the same year. The sixth-generation console competed with the Sega Dreamcast, Microsoft Xbox, and Nintendo GameCube.

The PlayStation 2 went on to become the best-selling video game console, selling over 150 million units. More than 3,800 game titles have been released for the PS2 since launch, and more than 1.5 billion copies have been sold. Sony later manufactured several smaller, lighter revisions of the console known as "slimline" models, and in 2006 introduced the successor, the PlayStation 3.

On January 4, 2013, Sony announced that the PlayStation 2 had been discontinued after 12 years of production – one of the longest runs for a video game console. Despite the announcement, new games for the console continue to be produced including Final Fantasy XI: Seekers of Adoulin for Japan and FIFA 14 and Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 for Occident. Sony unveiled the PlayStation 4 console the following month on February 20, 2013.

22 lists were submitted by Rajah posters to decide the ordering of the list. 123 different titles were voted for. These are your selections...

The Rick
November 6th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Master List

1. Grand Theft Auto: Vice CIty
2. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
3. WWE Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain
4. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
5. (Tied) Final Fantasy X
Grand Theft Auto III
7. Shadow of the Colossus
8. Metal Gear Solid 2
9. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
10. God of War II
11. Resident Evil 4
12. Pro Evolution Soccer 6
13. God of War
14. Bully
15. Final Fantasy XII
16. SSX 3
17. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008
18. (Tied) Silent Hill 2
SSX: Tricky
20. (Tied) Kingdom Hearts 2
Tekken Tag Tournament
22. X-Men Legends 2: Rise of Apocalypse
23. Pro Evolution Soccer 5
24. Kingdom Hearts
25. Dragon Quest VIII
26. (Tied) Guitar Hero II
Medal of Honor: Frontline
28. Final Fantasy X-2
29. WWE Smackdown!: Shut Your Mouth
30. (Tied) ESPN NFL 2K5
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
SOCOM II: U.S. Navy SEALs

Runners up
33. Soulcalibur II (30 points, 3 votes)
34. (tied) 28 points
Fire Pro Wreslting Returns (3 votes)
Guitar Hero (3 votes)
36. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 (26 points, 2 votes)
37. (tied) 24 points
Ratchet and Clank (2 votes)
WWF Smackdown!: Just Bring It (3 votes)
39. MVP Baseball 05 (23 points, 2 votes)
40. Burnout 3: Takedown (22 points, 2 votes)
41. (tied) 21 points
Timesplitters 2
Viewtiful Joe
43. (tied)
Resident Evil: Code Veronica (2 votes)
SSX (3 votes)
45. Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (19 points, 2 votes)
46. (tied) 17 points
Gran Turismo 4 (3 votes)
Killer 7 (1 vote)
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks (2 votes)
Ratchet and Clank: going Commando (1 vote)
Socom 3 (1 vote)
51. (tied) 16 points
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (2 votes)
Madden 2005 (1 vote)
Pro Evolution Soccer 4 (1 vote)
Socom: Combined Assault (2 vote)
Tekken 5 (2 votes)
62. (tied) 14 points
Bloody Roar 3 (1 vote)
Freedom Fighters (1 vote)
Max Payne (2 votes)
Mortal Kombat: Deception (1 vote)
66. (tied) 13 points
Jack and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (1 vote)
Pro Evolution Soccer (1 vote)
68. (tied) 12 points
Katamari Damacy (2 votes)
Lego Star Wars (3 votes)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2 (1 vote)
Silent Hill 4 (1 vote)
Star Wars: Battlefront (1 vote)
Twisted Metal: Black (2 votes)
XIII (1 vote)
75. (tied) 11 points
Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance (2 votes)
Brian Lara Cricket 2005 (1 vote)
Dark Cloud 2 (1 vote)
Guitar Hero 3: Legends of Rock (1 vote)
Jak 3 (1 vote)
80. (tied) 10 points
Black (1 vote)
Dynasty Warriors 4 (1 vote)
Devil May Cry (1 vote)
Lego Star Wars 2 (1 vote)
Ratchet and Clank: Up your Arsenal (1 vote)
Smackdown vs. Raw: 2006 (1 vote)
Devil May Cry 3 (1 vote)
87. (tied) 9 points
Amplitude (1 vote)
James Bond: Agent Under Fire (1 vote)
MVP Baseball 2004 (1 vote)
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (1 vote)
The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (1 vote)
X-Men Legends (1 vote)
93. (tied) 8 points
Madden 2002 (1 vote)
MLB Slugfest 2003 (1 vote)
Spider-man 2 (1 vote)
Suikoden III (1 vote)
The Simpsons: Road Rage (1 vote)
98. (tied) 7 points
All-Star Baseball 2004 (1 vote)
Dark Cloud (1 vote)
Shadow of Destiny (1 vote)
SSX: On Tour (1 vote)
Ultimate Spider-man(1 vote)
War of the Monsters (1 vote)
105. (tied) 6 points
Capcom Classics Vol. 1 (1 vote)
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy (1 vote)
Hitman: Blood Money (1 vote)
Hitman: Contracts (1 vote)
The Adventures of Cookie and Cream (1 vote)
109. (tied) 5 points
God Hand (1 vote)
Ring of Red (1 vote)
Smackdown vs Raw (1 vote)
Tony Hawk's Underground (1 vote)
Zone of the Enders (1 vote)
114. (tied) 4 points
Destroy All Humans (1 vote)
Hot Shots Golf 3 (1 vote)
NFL Street 2 (1 vote)
Transformers (1 vote)
118. (tied) 3 points
Crazy Taxi (1 vote)
Drakan: the Ancients' Gates (1 vote)
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories/Liberty City Stories (1 vote)
ICO (1 vote)
Midway Arcade Treasures (1 vote)
Shadow Hearts (1 vote)

The_Mike
November 6th, 2013, 11:09 PM
They are seriously still making PS2 games in 2013? That's amazing.

The Rick
November 6th, 2013, 11:14 PM
#30 Tied
SOCOM II: U.S. Navy SEALs

http://pwned.com/gamecovers/playstation2/15901a253801791c4e86c76fc32efb8c-SOCOM_II__U_S__Navy_SEALs.jpg

Developed by: Zipper Interactive and the U.S. Navy
Published by: Sony Computer Entertainment
Release date: November 4, 2003
Votes: 2
Highest vote: 1st
By: Mills

gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ9Whx3AaVk

Runners up
118. (tied) 3 points
Crazy Taxi (1 vote)
Drakan: the Ancients' Gates (1 vote)
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories/Liberty City Stories (1 vote)
ICO (1 vote)
Midway Arcade Treasures (1 vote)
Shadow Hearts (1 vote)

Bert
November 6th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Midway Arcade Treasures was one of mine.

That was the first time I played Gauntlet and had so many good games with it. SpyHunter, Paperboy, Marble Madness, RoadBlasters were all really addicting.

Psycho666Soldier
November 7th, 2013, 2:29 AM
Never much cared for the SOCOM series, but I do remember back in the AIM days, I messaged a friend saying what's up, and he said "SOCOM." My first reaction was Metal Gear Solid, and I was all like, "Yeah, that's awesome!" as I thought he was saying he was playing MGS, but after a few messages, I realized he meant a completely different game. I totally get why this is here, though. The game was pretty damn popular for FPS/Online players.

I'm the only one who voted Shadow Hearts. Not surprised. Any of you who like RPGs and feel the PS2 had weak ones need to play that game now. A unique battle system, great story, and all-in-all one of the last great JRPGs as the genre was dying out. The battle system really put it over for me, and apparently, the sequel that came out is even greater(got a bunch of high ratings and was like Game of the Year or something in some magazine):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny-3ohKr5Yo

Olympus
November 7th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Pretty shocked that ICO is way down at the bottom. That would have easily made my list, except I never played it until I got it on a PS3 disc with SoTC.

SOCOM was an excellent game for its time. First game they ever really advertised as being an online game, I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj74k4wu3-U

Atty
November 7th, 2013, 1:03 PM
I was the only vote for Ico?! Fucksake people! Get your shit together!

The Rick
November 7th, 2013, 3:08 PM
#30 Tied
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

http://86bb71d19d3bcb79effc-d9e6924a0395cb1b5b9f03b7640d26eb.r91.cf1.rackcdn.c om/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/prince-of-persia-the-sands-of-time-ps2-box.jpg

Developed by: Ubisoft Montreal / Milan
Published by: Ubisoft, SCEJ
Writer/Designer: Jordan Mechner
Release date: November 6, 2003
Votes: 4
Highest vote: 7th
By: Atty, Pablo Diablo

gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuKAsDmP6Bc

Runners up
114. (tied) 4 points
Destroy All Humans (1 vote)
Hot Shots Golf 3 (1 vote)
NFL Street 2 (1 vote)
Transformers (1 vote)

Atty
November 7th, 2013, 5:22 PM
Really? Come on now! 30th?!

turdpower
November 7th, 2013, 5:34 PM
I voted for 3 different Pro Evos. Sorry Atty.

I've also never played either of these games.

Pablo Diablo
November 7th, 2013, 8:28 PM
Ico I have never played, neither SotC. I know that makes my list lacking some.

But Sands of Time people. While some of the newer ones weren't as good Sands of Time was just a really great game and I remember it feeling revolutionary at the time.

The Rick
November 7th, 2013, 8:53 PM

But Sands of Time people. While some of the newer ones weren't as good Sands of Time was just a really great game and I remember it feeling revolutionary at the time.

I don't think that makes anyone's list lacking. We have different likes, and money situations. Not all of us can play all the games. Plus some of us are able to stumble upon great deals that allow us to play more than we regularly would have. I don't discount anyone's list, you like what you like.

Psycho666Soldier
November 7th, 2013, 9:01 PM

Sands of Time is an excellent game and probably deserved higher on the list, but I personally liked Warrior Within better, which I voted in place of Sands of Time. It was hard keeping Sands off the list, but it was hard enough fitting the games I did.

Pablo Diablo
November 7th, 2013, 9:05 PM
Warrior Within was a good one too but I went with Sands of Time and couldn't really justify 2 PoP games despite rating it where I did.

Psycho666Soldier
November 7th, 2013, 9:15 PM
Warrior Within was a good one too but I went with Sands of Time and couldn't really justify 2 PoP games despite rating it where I did.

Pretty much my situation with Warrior Within. Sands is probably more deserving as it was so innovative at the time and spawned the rest of the series, I just thought Warrior Within was everything Sands of Time was but better, and with much improved combat.

Pablo Diablo
November 7th, 2013, 9:31 PM
I don't disagree but I went with Sands because of its innovation. I mean rewinding the game, holy shit that was mind blowing to me.

Mark Hammer
November 7th, 2013, 9:43 PM
I've heard of all these, but never played them. I'm sure they deserve a higher spot.

Psycho666Soldier
November 7th, 2013, 9:57 PM
I would say Sands of Time definitely deserves a higher spot. I'm quite surprised ICO didn't make the list, but apparently I'm not the only one who never was able to play it.

Shadow of the Colossus better be in the Top 5, though.

Atty
November 7th, 2013, 10:14 PM
I've heard of all these, but never played them. I'm sure they deserve a higher spot.

You can download all in HD on the PS3/360 for maybe 9.99 each. That's about what I paid over a year ago for them. With PoP, I just wanted Sands in HD so I was delighted to find that downloading just that game was an option. Ico may not be everyone's thing, but Shadow of the Colossus should be required gameplay for everyone who at all likes games. It's such a brilliant game with the immersive isolation of the player being unmatched by any game ever.

Plus, any boss where you have to platform while being flown around on it's wing is worth the price of admission alone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81gCxvUo-dg

The Rick
November 8th, 2013, 3:11 PM
#30 Tied
ESPN NFL 2K5

http://pics.mobygames.com/images/covers/large/1100635649-00.jpg

Developed by: Visual Concepts
Published by: 2K Sports
Release date: July 20, 2004
Votes: 3
Highest vote: 7th
By: blackening, Olympus

game play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89k02yf3mrQ

Runners-up
109. (tied) 5 points
God Hand (1 vote)
Ring of Red (1 vote)
Smackdown vs Raw (1 vote)
Tony Hawk's Underground (1 vote)
Zone of the Enders (1 vote)

Psycho666Soldier
November 8th, 2013, 3:18 PM
Hate sports games. Absolutely hate 'em. A lot of that has to do with the fact that I hate sports. Sands of Time should have been way higher than this for sure.

Solid runners-up class, though. Nice shout with God Hand, loved SD vs. RAW, Tony Hawk's Underground is underrated, and Zone of the Enders is fucking great.

What's amazing is there are so many great games for the PS2 that I couldn't even fit onto my list, let alone everything that doesn't make the Top 30 list.

The Rick
November 8th, 2013, 3:20 PM
And for 90% of the people that picked it up, Zone of the Enders was the icing of the cake. Most people picked it up for the MGS demo that was packed in. Same reason Crackdown did well on X-Box. Companies need to do that more often. Activision wants to sell the next ... whatever, pack in a demo of the next COD.

turdpower
November 8th, 2013, 4:26 PM
Hate sports games. Absolutely hate 'em. A lot of that has to do with the fact that I hate sports. Sands of Time should have been way higher than this for sure.

UH OH.

You're going to be seeing quite a few I reckon.

Interesting what you saw about some games. I'd like to see a top "games series" list. So I don't have to mention 4 Pro Evo's, 1 could just be Pro Evo, Smackdown, Tony Hawks etc etc

turdpower
November 8th, 2013, 4:38 PM
The Rick, can you explain the points scoring system to me please? 1-10 how many points each position gets?

Also can you explain why each post has runners up in it?

Psycho666Soldier
November 8th, 2013, 4:52 PM
UH OH.

You're going to be seeing quite a few I reckon.

Interesting what you saw about some games. I'd like to see a top "games series" list. So I don't have to mention 4 Pro Evo's, 1 could just be Pro Evo, Smackdown, Tony Hawks etc etc

I'm expecting the Pro Evo games, I just hate the NFL ones the most. I do hate the decision between which sequel to put in, and wondering whether you should exclude one, because sometimes they're just as good with improvements, and you have to wonder if the impact the original game had is stronger...then you don't want to exclude other games that deserve a spot, and gah...

I don't remember the actual scoring system, but he puts the runners-up just to give more to the post rather than showing all the games that didn't get voted at the very end.

Mills
November 8th, 2013, 5:05 PM
Damn it Socom was fantastic. I bought my PS2 with this game and Red Faction. I played it all the freakin time.

Olympus
November 8th, 2013, 5:08 PM
Surprised I was the only person who voted Zone of the Enders.

The Rick
November 8th, 2013, 5:47 PM
The Rick, can you explain the points scoring system to me please? 1-10 how many points each position gets?

Also can you explain why each post has runners up in it?

Each title gets point inversely related to their position. ie. #1 gets 15pts, #2 gets 14pts, and so on to #15 getting 1pt. Also eash title gains 2points for each list it appears on. So the bottom most games each garnered 3pts a piece. 1 point for being #15 on someone's list, and 2pts for being on a list.

The points per list came about to help as a tie breaker between titles, it doesn't solve it though.

turdpower
November 8th, 2013, 5:58 PM
Oh, I didn't know we could do 15 games.

None of this maths worked out with 10 game lists :D

Olympus
November 8th, 2013, 6:09 PM
ESPN NFL 2K5

It's unbelievable how well this game holds up today, despite being almost 10 years old. I'm not sure if that's a testament to how good this one is, or just how short Madden has come in the areas of commentary, presentation, etc... The core game is fine, it's the little bells and whistles that put it over the top. Commentary and presentation in this game have yet to be surpassed.

turdpower
November 8th, 2013, 7:09 PM
I think that sums up between the differences of what you guys want from an NFL game compared to a Football game on our end.

It's all about gameplay for us. For years we played Pro Evo with fake teams, fake player names, fake kits, fake badges and fake stadiums, all because the gameplay was fucking superb. Although we had Peter Brackley on commentary before 5.

Olympus
November 8th, 2013, 9:54 PM
I think that's true for me too though... there have been games with fake NFL people and the gameplay has sucked as well. Madden has always been the standard bearer, until this game came along and blew everyone away. The gameplay was just as good, but it had all the other stuff that brought it to the next level. A year later, EA bought the exclusive license. I still play Madden and enjoy it, but this game was awesome, and it doesn't seem like it'd be THAT hard to bring Madden to that level.

The Rick
November 8th, 2013, 9:58 PM
I think that's true for me too though... there have been games with fake NFL people and the gameplay has sucked as well. Madden has always been the standard bearer, until this game came along and blew everyone away. The gameplay was just as good, but it had all the other stuff that brought it to the next level. A year later, EA bought the exclusive license. I still play Madden and enjoy it, but this game was awesome, and it doesn't seem like it'd be THAT hard to bring Madden to that level.

EA losses the exclusive NFL deal next year. SO a NFL 2K15 isn't out of the question. A long shot yes, but not out of the realm of possibility.

The Rick
November 9th, 2013, 1:02 PM
WWE SmackDown! Shut Your Mouth

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/box/2/6/2/561262_19552_front.jpg

Developed by: Yuke's
Published by: THQ (WWE SmackDown! Shut Your Mouth)
Yuke's (Exciting Pro Wrestling 4)
Release date: October 31, 2002
Highest vote: 4th
By: The Rick

gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lqF3uryNXw

Runners-up
105. (tied) 6 points
Capcom Classics Vol. 1 (1 vote)
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy (1 vote)
Hitman: Blood Money (1 vote)
Hitman: Contracts (1 vote)
The Adventures of Cookie and Cream (1 vote)

hithit
November 9th, 2013, 7:58 PM
Damn it Socom was fantastic. I bought my PS2 with this game and Red Faction. I played it all the freakin time.

me too mills. socom 3, combined assault, and 2 were my top 3 games for this list. doubt anyone besides me and you voted for them.

Mills
November 9th, 2013, 8:09 PM
Shut Your Mouth was a great game

turdpower
November 9th, 2013, 9:10 PM
I have no memory of "Shut Your Mouth"

I had and loved "Just Bring it" and I know "Here Comes the Pain" was awesome, I must have just skipped one out.

Atty
November 9th, 2013, 9:25 PM
Was Shut Your Mouth the one where Jericho had the ridiculous pink attire?

Mills
November 9th, 2013, 9:38 PM
the video Rick linked has Jericho in the first 2 seconds, i think its the attire youre talking about. I think I created 40-50 guys on Shut your Mouth, just a fun game

The Rick
November 9th, 2013, 9:57 PM
the video Rick linked has Jericho in the first 2 seconds, i think its the attire youre talking about. I think I created 40-50 guys on Shut your Mouth, just a fun game

Me too, and I was able to max out everyone's stats before Here Comes The Pain came out the next year. Man, that was when the yearly releases had me excited for wrestling games.

The gameplay was simpler to HCtP. You could set up your character to gut kick and powerbomb to blaze through the Royal Rumble. In two more games they would take the Royal Rumble match option and make a mockery of it.

I also remember climbing on top of the fist the first day I had it. I thought I did something wrong. I was fighting to the left of the stage, and ran at an angle to go back to the stage. Instead I started climbing up to the fist, and jumped off. I was amazed. Eventually the goal of matches with friends was to land a move from the top of the fist. So so satisfying when done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWbSarrsdHA

The_Mike
November 9th, 2013, 10:14 PM
I loved doing stuff off the fist, and the general sense of freedom these earlier Smackdowns had. Not as fancy as the hot spots in later games, but it felt so much more organic.

Mills
November 10th, 2013, 12:13 AM
did it have table matches? I always remember trying to do moves off the fist through tables

Atty
November 10th, 2013, 12:37 AM
I always felt goofy playing as Shawn in the n.W.o or white t-shirt.

Clearly he had to be the champion...

The Rick
November 10th, 2013, 2:01 PM
Final Fantasy X-2

http://www.theicecave.org/damage_control/multimedia/ffx2covers_082909.jpg

Developed by: Square Product Development Division 1
Published by: (JP) Square, (NA) Square Enix, (PAL) Electronic Arts
Directed by: Motomu Toriyama
Produced by: Yoshinori Kitase
Artist: Shintaro Takai
Written by: Kazushige Nojima, Daisuke Watanabe
Composers: Noriko Matsueda, Takahito Eguchi
Release date: March 13, 2003
Votes: 5
Highest vote: 4th
By: Peter Griffin

gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=458JwH169nc

Runners up
98. (tied) 7 points
All-Star Baseball 2004 (1 vote)
Dark Cloud (1 vote)
Shadow of Destiny (1 vote)
SSX: On Tour (1 vote)
Ultimate Spider-man(1 vote)
War of the Monsters (1 vote)

Olympus
November 10th, 2013, 2:20 PM
A game I never played. It came out right around the time I went to college, so I just didn't have time.

JP
November 10th, 2013, 2:25 PM
Incredibly underrated game thanks to its pop facade.

One of the best rpg systems they've ever created and under the sugary surface is an emotive story which brilliantly continues the thread from FF X.

JP
November 10th, 2013, 2:26 PM
A game I never played. It came out right around the time I went to college, so I just didn't have time.

If you can still get a hold of it (or emulate) then it's well worth a play. Multiple endings, open ended, full of secrets, just a really enjoyable game.

turdpower
November 10th, 2013, 3:26 PM
Final Fantasy is a game franchise which has completely passed me by and I have no interest in visiting it.

JP
November 10th, 2013, 3:32 PM
Final Fantasy is a game franchise which has completely passed me by and I have no interest in visiting it.

Every one is completely different to the other.

For the most part it is seriously only the name, not even the genre, which connects them.

turdpower
November 10th, 2013, 5:10 PM
I watched a mate play FF7 on PSX and since then I have had no interest.

Psycho666Soldier
November 10th, 2013, 5:18 PM
God, I fucking HATE this game. The battle system was brilliant. The style, design, atmosphere, and the story(or at least how it progresses until you're closer to the end) is just horrid. If they brought out a different game with FFX-2's battle system, I'd be happy.

Nice shouts on Dark Cloud, Shadow of Destiny, and Ultimate Spider-Man though. Dark Cloud was so creative, and it made me have a soft spot for the game, and then I fell in love when Dark Cloud 2 came out(which better be on this list). Shadow of Destiny was a relatively unknown game with that unique time-travelling/puzzle-solving premise. A bit short and replay value was minimal, but first time through, it's a blast.

Olympus
November 10th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Shadow of Destiny was on my list. I love time travel, and while that game had a lot of weaknesses, it captured the paranormal aspects of that brilliantly. It was a game where I literally put down the controller frequently and just... thought... about what was going on.

Atty
November 10th, 2013, 11:56 PM
You all should be ashamed of yourselves for voting this over THE SANDS OF TIME!

I'm going to invent a time machine just to give all your mothers abortions before you are born and cause this tragedy.

The_Mike
November 11th, 2013, 12:16 AM
I watched a mate play FF7 on PSX and since then I have had no interest.

That doesn't really get over the point that they are all vastly different games.

I liked FF X-2. It was silly and poppy and played with anime tropes a lot, but under the hood was an enjoyable system for having adventures hinging on a really, really good battle system. And to be honest I liked the story a hell of a lot more than XII or XIII. At least I knew who the characters were and what they wanted, and I could move around the world rather than endlessly trudge through deserts or corridors.

Dark Cloud was also on my list, wish I'd got more mileage out of it but I just got distracted with other things. For its time, though, it was a grand adventure in its own right.

Atty
November 11th, 2013, 12:20 AM
It's not hard to like a story more than FF13. I liked the story of Mario Sunshine more than FF13.

The_Mike
November 11th, 2013, 12:25 AM
I liked the story of The Human Centipede more than FFXIII. Still, the story is what brought me to Final Fantasy games and hooked me on them, so X-2's being all right is a boon compared to what abysmal nonsense the series has churned out since then.

Atty
November 11th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Story is the draw of Final Fantasy. Always has been. Lacking it, nothing else matters and that's why shit like 13 could never work.

turdpower
November 11th, 2013, 3:02 AM
That doesn't really get over the point that they are all vastly different games.

I'm not denying that at all, I'm explaining why I have never had any interest in this series.

JP
November 11th, 2013, 6:43 AM
FF XIII is soul destroyingly awful for 30 odd hours.

Kunt 4 Life
November 11th, 2013, 3:12 PM
I love the final fantasy series and have played and completed all the numbered main ones but by god did Xiii suck dick. I gave up after 10 hours and hated every minute.

The Rick
November 11th, 2013, 3:33 PM
#26 Tied
Medal of Honor: Frontline

http://199.101.98.242/media/shots/150668-Medal_of_Honor_-_Frontline_(USA)-1.jpg

Developed by: EA LA
Published by: EA Games
Release date: May 28, 2002
Highest vote: 2nd
By: Chris

gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqdLPBUm-40

Runners up
93. (tied) 8 points
Madden 2002 (1 vote)
MLB Slugfest 2003 (1 vote)
Spider-man 2 (1 vote)
Suikoden III (1 vote)
The Simpsons: Road Rage (1 vote)

Bert
November 11th, 2013, 3:46 PM
No one else voted for slugfest. :nono:

Beefy
November 11th, 2013, 4:35 PM
Surprised Frontline didn't do better. MOH is a popoular franchise and Frontline is probably its best game. That opening level is insane.

JP
November 11th, 2013, 4:38 PM
I love the final fantasy series and have played and completed all the numbered main ones but by god did Xiii suck dick. I gave up after 10 hours and hated every minute.

The ridiculous thing is if you can somehow struggle through the swamp of shite until you reach Pulse then you find yourself a brilliant game.

The endgame content is magnificent.

Pablo Diablo
November 11th, 2013, 4:43 PM
It's weird. I was not really a big FPS guy on the PS2. Not sure why. It's not that I didn't like FPS games, I'd play them on my computer, just never got into it on the PS2 for some reason.

Beefy
November 11th, 2013, 5:03 PM
I hate FPS games. The WW2 MOH games were some of the very few FPS games which haven't bored me to tears - probably because they had a decent story to tell.

turdpower
November 11th, 2013, 5:07 PM
I voted for this, it was one of the only FPS games I had on PS2.

turdpower
November 11th, 2013, 5:40 PM
Whoever voted for Simpsons Road Rage, great taste, it would have made it in my top 15. It was everything Crazy Taxi was but so much better.

I only did a list of 10 :ashamed:

Chris
November 11th, 2013, 6:16 PM
Shame that Frontline is so far down the list. With the Call of Duty games, I tend to just muck about online. But Frontline was one of the few FPS games where I genuinely enjoyed the single player and could revisit it several times.

The Rogerer
November 11th, 2013, 6:19 PM
The ridiculous thing is if you can somehow struggle through the swamp of shite until you reach Pulse then you find yourself a brilliant game.

The endgame content is magnificent.I got to the endgame being told that, I am calling stockholm syndrome.

I think PS2 FPS were dodgy because the sticks still had a fairly big deadzone, and people handn't figured out decent control schemes yet.

T.I (uh oh)
November 11th, 2013, 7:11 PM
Solid runners-up class, though. Nice shout with God Hand, loved SD vs. RAW, Tony Hawk's Underground is underrated, and Zone of the Enders is fucking great.

God Hand was mine. One of those quintessential B-grade games that (for me) made the PS2 awesome. Like many of Clover (now Platinum Games) games, it looks so simple on the surface, but is surprisingly deep with it's mechanics.

Whoever voted for Simpsons Road Rage, great taste, it would have made it in my top 15. It was everything Crazy Taxi was but so much better.

Me again. Road Rage was excellent. Sure the voice over got annoying after a while, but the levels were packed with easter eggs and fan service. Again, it's a B-grade game, and probably something that you can only get away with during launch period, but I really enjoyed it.

Bert
November 11th, 2013, 7:58 PM

I only did a list of 10 :ashamed:

Road Rage was on my top 30 but I had to cut that in half and it didn't make the cut unfortunately.

Atty
November 11th, 2013, 11:06 PM
FF XIII is soul destroyingly awful for 30 odd hours.

That right there is the single worst thing about the game. After 30+ hours, it does get good, but that's in no way a positive when you have to waste over 30 hours of your life to get to the good portion. Even worse is that the good section can't even really be played until beating the game as it won't let you level up far enough to even be a challenge to the enemies of that section until the game is cleared.

After getting to that section, I enjoyed the combat enough to do most everything. I probably tripled the actual game time doing all the challenges and got to the point where I gave the game another chance from the start. That second run was one of the most soul crushingly awful gaming experiences I've had. All the flaws were clear and that it wouldn't let you even experiment with the combat system for 20ish hours made it so incredibly boring.

Final Fantasy really should look at what BioWare did with Mass Effect. ME2 was an excellent character study where you got sidequests with each character where you got to know and care about them—FF would thrive with that type of structure. Character saves continuing on past the initial game is also something that FF could see beneficial with the story evolving based on what you do, former team mates becoming foes and seeing your actions have an actual impact on the world.

The Rick
November 12th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Medal of Honor: Frontline still has one of the best opening sequences for a game. So many good moments in that game. I'm not a big fan of FPS games, but if a game is stellar I will try it. Same reason I played Star Wars KotOR.

Final Fantasy lost me at XII. Once they dropped the side-by-side random encounter battles, they lost me. I liked XII okay, but I found the magic to be missing. I think that is a reason that people put FFX on a pedestal. Its kinda like how a girl that is a 6-7 looks much better surrounded by some overweight 2s, 3s and 4s.

The Rick
November 12th, 2013, 3:38 PM
#26 Tied
Guitar Hero 2

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-kLgo-7wRWZ4/UNMkZa9uB1I/AAAAAAAAASo/AS9mpy3PK20/s1600/guitar_hero_2_dvd_ntsc-5bcdcovers_cc5d-front.jpg

Developed by: Harmonix
Published by: Activision
Designers: Greg LoPiccolo, Rob Kay, Chris Canfield, Josh Randall, Jack McCauley
Release date: November 7, 2006
By: Pablo Diablo

gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqjAygDQnu8

Runners up
87. (tied) 9 points
Amplitude (1 vote)
James Bond: Agent Under Fire (1 vote)
MVP Baseball 2004 (1 vote)
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (1 vote)
The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (1 vote)
X-Men Legends (1 vote)

Bert
November 12th, 2013, 3:47 PM
Guitar Hero III was better. So was X-Men Legends 2. I mean it had Deadpool, c'mon.

turdpower
November 12th, 2013, 3:55 PM
Was GH3 on PS2? I had it on PS3 so never even considered voting for it.

I voted for this instead.

Olympus
November 12th, 2013, 4:09 PM
I didn't think it was, but... http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Hero-III-Legends-Playstation-2/dp/B000TGB4V4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384286871&sr=8-1&keywords=guitar+hero+iii+ps2

GH3 was actually the reason I bought a PS3. My future wife (girlfriend at the time), mentioned she had a blast playing Guitar Hero at camp, so it was the perfect excuse to justify buying a PS3 on my meager grad school pittance.

As such, I never played a GH game on PS2. I played the hell out of its predecessor though, and it made my list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB9ZhLBSoBQ

turdpower
November 12th, 2013, 4:20 PM
I know GH1 was cover songs of the actual tracks, was 2? I know 3 had original songs.

The Rogerer
November 12th, 2013, 4:27 PM
GH2 was original songs. They also released just about every one on PS2

turdpower
November 12th, 2013, 4:31 PM
I'd love to see what Fifa 14 looks like on PS2 to be fair.

The Rogerer
November 12th, 2013, 7:47 PM
Looking on youtube, it looks about the same TBH. There's not a lot more you're going to get out of it really. I wonder if it sold more worldwide than the PS3 version. It's a quandry between the sort of people who will still use an old console and yet want up to date football.

The Rick
November 12th, 2013, 7:56 PM
Looking on youtube, it looks about the same TBH. There's not a lot more you're going to get out of it really. I wonder if it sold more worldwide than the PS3 version. It's a quandry between the sort of people who will still use an old console and yet want up to date football.

Well PS2 didn't catch on big in Latin American countries until PS3 came out. So much poverty, that when PS2 had that last big price drop to $99 USD more people were able to afford them. EA isn't going to put out that title unless it sells more than enough to be worth its while.

Pablo Diablo
November 12th, 2013, 8:27 PM
Guitar Hero III was better. So was X-Men Legends 2. I mean it had Deadpool, c'mon.

GH3 was a PS3 game for me so couldn't really put it here.

I knew my vote for this would be far and away above everyone elses. Basically this game to me was such a big part of my PS2 days. It was the first of the rhythm games that I played. To me it was just such a unique and enjoyable game. I played the shit out of it. I remember the first time I played Free Bird (it was on medium) and I beat it, it felt amazing. I loved these games I can't deny. I would probably even put Rock Band 2 in my top 3 games of the PS3.

It's not everyone's cup of tea and it got completely overexposed and killed the genre completely. But to this day I look back at GH2 and nothing but fond memories come to me.

Also in GH2 the songs were cover versions still for the most part.

Mills
November 13th, 2013, 2:11 AM
I got in the music games late, I got Rock Band 3 and 4 for Wii, Lego Rock Band too. Love them still though, played the shit out of my drums still

turdpower
November 13th, 2013, 3:05 AM

That reminds me of the time wardy (I wish we could tag people in posts, he'll never see this) first got his PS3 and I was absolutely baffled that he said he didn't have a HDMI cable and was using it through some old telly.

turdpower
November 13th, 2013, 3:07 AM
Two things I hated about Guitar Hero:

It wasn't a game you could play drunk with mates

If you played too much of it throughout the day, when you shut your eyes (particularly before going to sleep) you could see coloured lines going down.

The Rogerer
November 13th, 2013, 5:09 AM
I had gotten big into Singstar after a party, and then I moved away into a shared student house, and after a week of living there I bought Guitar Hero and played that for about a month, occasionally involving someone else. I used to get the travelling eye thing, and also when I moved onto hard I started getting shooting pains in my wrist from trying to use my little finger for the first time.

JP
November 13th, 2013, 6:14 AM
I didn't include Singstar on my list because it was more just a bit of a laugh and a vanity tool, really enjoyed playing it though.

Never played any of the music games.

turdpower
November 13th, 2013, 1:15 PM
Yeah we had singstar at uni as well, one of my mates was ridiculous at it, getting near perfect scores, but couldn't sing at all.

The Rick
November 13th, 2013, 3:08 PM
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

http://lvls.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/ps2-dq8.jpg

Developed by: Level-5
Published by: Square Enix
Directed by: Akihiro Hino
Produced by: Ryutaro Ichimura, Yoshiki Watabe
Designed by: Yuji Horii
Artists: Akira Toriyama, Takayuki Sameshima, Kazunari Matsuo
Composer: Koichi Sugiyama
Release date: November 27, 2004
By: The_Mike

gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yfWNUUxbG4

Runners up
80. (tied) 10 points
Black (1 vote)
Devil May Cry (1 vote)
Lego Star Wars 2 (1 vote)
Ratchet and Clank: Up your Arsenal (1 vote)
Smackdown vs. Raw: 2006 (1 vote)
Devil May Cry 3 (1 vote)

JP
November 13th, 2013, 3:29 PM
Only three votes for this? I can only imagine it's because not enough people got to play it. Who's the third voter then; me, Mike and...

Just a brilliant, fun, superbly put together classically made rpg.

turdpower
November 13th, 2013, 3:38 PM
Never played it.

Never heard of it.

turdpower
November 13th, 2013, 3:39 PM
Lets talk about Runners UP:

Great game.

Psycho666Soldier
November 13th, 2013, 7:54 PM
Only three votes for this? I can only imagine it's because not enough people got to play it. Who's the third voter then; me, Mike and...

Just a brilliant, fun, superbly put together classically made rpg.

That would be me. I loved this game. Probably would have been higher if it didn't get stolen from me and I never got to finish it. Like you said, it's a superb classic JRPG with enough frills to keep it from being generic and repetitive. Probably the best in the Dragon Quest series from what I played.

Dynasty Warriors 4 was on my working list before I cut it down, as was Black. Black was a great entry for an FPS(and I don't even like FPS games) and still deserves a sequel...though Battlefield 4 is kind of stepping on its former glory.

The Dynasty Warriors series will always be one of my favorite games to play, and 4 may be the best one behind 6.

Also, I absolutely loved Guitar Hero II. More than GH3(if only because of the song selection even. It just couldn't really surpass the quality of all the other games I voted in my head. Then again, it was on my working list.

The Rick
November 13th, 2013, 8:09 PM
That would be me.

Hate to say it bud, but this was not on the list you submitted to me the second time.

JP
November 13th, 2013, 8:13 PM
Psycho, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :nono:

This masterpiece could have been higher. Shame on you sir, shame on you! :cry:

Psycho666Soldier
November 13th, 2013, 8:14 PM
I could have sworn I put it on the list! Damn it! A glaring omission! I demand I redo my list and this whole countdown shall be reset!

The Rick
November 13th, 2013, 8:15 PM
I could have sworn I put it on the list! Damn it! A glaring omission! I demand I redo my list and this whole countdown shall be reset!

okay so we get rid of Shadow Hearts?

Psycho666Soldier
November 13th, 2013, 8:35 PM
okay so we get rid of Shadow Hearts?

Only because no one else voted for it.

Atty
November 13th, 2013, 8:42 PM
Medal of Honor: Frontline still has one of the best opening sequences for a game. So many good moments in that game. I'm not a big fan of FPS games, but if a game is stellar I will try it. Same reason I played Star Wars KotOR.

Final Fantasy lost me at XII. Once they dropped the side-by-side random encounter battles, they lost me. I liked XII okay, but I found the magic to be missing. I think that is a reason that people put FFX on a pedestal. Its kinda like how a girl that is a 6-7 looks much better surrounded by some overweight 2s, 3s and 4s.

Same reason VII looks so amazing next shit like VI.

The Rick
November 13th, 2013, 10:16 PM
I preordered the first Guitar Hero. The guy at EB Games gave me a weird look, but I liked what I was reading about the game through interviews in EGM anf GameInformer. When I got the game, it was hard to get people to play it. When I did get them to play though, it was hard to wrestle away.

Guitar Hero 2 upped the ante, and on release day I took the day off work with some friends. We played to unlock all the songs, and then played head-to-head the rest of the day. Great songs on both games.

The Rogerer
November 14th, 2013, 6:30 AM
I voted for Dragon Quest as well. It is obscure, but I would have to put it as the top PS2 RPG. I never beat the final boss, which somewhat defeats my point, but it's hard to think of a more charming RPG. It kept things simple and down to earth. It's also tricky to recommend because you have to make a very firm commitment to a Dragon Quest game, it makes you grind quite a bit compared to an FF. Just thinking about it makes me smile, though, I wish I had bought it on release when I would have had a lot more time for it.

Damn it, I want to get back to this game now. I can't do this.

turdpower
November 14th, 2013, 1:49 PM
Guitar Hero 3 was my first experience of it, but we had a PS2 in our shared uni house so we ended up getting 1, 2 and 80's for that.

I ended up being able to complete some of the songs just using feet. I didn't do so good at uni that year.

The Rick
November 14th, 2013, 3:17 PM
Kingdom Hearts

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/box/5/8/7/516587_50919_front.jpg

Developed by: Square Product Development Division 1
Published by: (JP) Square, (NA) Square, (EU) SCEE, (AU) SCE Australia
Directed by: Tetsuya Nomura
Produced by: Shinji Hashimoto, Yoshinori Kitase
Artist: Takayuki Odachi
Written by: Jun Akiyama, Daisuke Watanabe, Kazushige Nojima
Composer: Yoko Shimomura
Release date: March 28, 2002
Highest vote: 5th
By: JP

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5HADV0hJM4

Runners up
75. (tied) 11 points
Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance (2 votes)
Brian Lara Cricket 2005 (1 vote)
Dark Cloud 2 (1 vote)
Guitar Hero 3: Legends of Rock (1 vote)
Jak 3 (1 vote)

JP
November 14th, 2013, 3:35 PM
:shocked:

Frankly amazed this is so low.

Joyous like very few games are, this managed to combine the Disney and FF universes and produced something truly magical. A great story, brilliant use of the various licences, incredibly inventive and so much fun.

turdpower
November 14th, 2013, 6:15 PM
Again, never heard of it.

Runners up though;

Brian Lara Cricket. What a fucking game.

JP
November 14th, 2013, 6:18 PM
Again, never heard of it.

Alright, Dragon Quest I could understand, but Kingdom Hearts is one of the world's biggest gaming franchises.

There is a gap in your heart mate and only Donald, Goofy and Sora can fit it. Unless you're Heartless? DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNN!!!!

Atty
November 14th, 2013, 6:26 PM
I can't imagine not having heard of Kingdom Hearts. I've never played any of them, but I've heard of them.

turdpower
November 14th, 2013, 7:33 PM
I don't describe myself as a big gamer to be honest.

Proper gamers probably think I'm a right cunt. Nowadays I play COD, GTA and Fifa, that's it.

It's the equivalent of people who say they like Metal and just listen to Metallica (that was me for a while).

Liking football and supporting Man United.

I get it, I'm a cunt.

Beefy
November 14th, 2013, 8:22 PM
I've never heard of Kingdom of Hearts

Atty
November 14th, 2013, 9:34 PM
That's probably because it's not called Kingdom of Hearts.

The_Mike
November 14th, 2013, 9:44 PM
As you can tell, I loved Dragon Quest VIII. After being disappointed with FFXII (great game, atrocious story) and never really finding a JRPG to fill that void, I heard a few mentions of it and was looking at the box in a game store when a clerk told me "buy it, buy it now... as long as you've got nothing to do for six weeks". With that endorsement I went for it and instantly fell in love with the art style, the music, the colourful characters and the gorgeous open world. I really think it's the last good JRPG I've played, and it hit all the right notes, with enough depth and variation to help cushion the grind that is inherent in such games. The only RPG I've ever completed every single thing in, I just loved to keep revisiting that world. Also Jessica > Tifa.

It's not for everyone, though, so I don't have an issue with a great game like Kingdom Hearts being above it. Pretty surprised they are both so low, though, I thought KH in particular would be in the top ten.

Atty
November 14th, 2013, 9:48 PM
With Disney having Star Wars, KH4 could be simply massive if it has Disney, FF and Star Wars characters.

The Rick
November 15th, 2013, 2:48 PM
Pro Evolution Soccer 5

http://www.covergalaxy.com/ps2/Pro%20Evolution%20Soccer%205%20GERMAN%20PAL%20COVE R.jpg

Developed by: Konami
Published by: Konami
Release date: 4 August 2005
By: Simon

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX2Kdo6F-Ug

Runners up
68. (tied) 12 points
Katamari Damacy (2 votes)
Lego Star Wars (3 votes)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2 (1 vote)
Silent Hill 4 (1 vote)
Star Wars: Battlefront (1 vote)
Twisted Metal: Black (2 votes)
XIII (1 vote)

JP
November 15th, 2013, 2:52 PM
XIII only just missed my list, one my favourite FPS ever and it's not a genre I'm particularly a fan of.

Psycho666Soldier
November 15th, 2013, 2:59 PM
No love for Dark Cloud 2 or Katamari. For shame. Dark Cloud 2 was brilliant and Katamari is one of the most addicting games ever. :(

I'm pretty shocked Kingdom Hearts didn't make it higher. I wonder if that means KH II is still to come or if it will get a high spot on the runners-up list?

turdpower
November 15th, 2013, 2:59 PM
PES 5 was huge just because it was the first season a Premier League team (or two in this case) had OMG REAL KITS.

turdpower
November 15th, 2013, 3:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92HQJhk0f9M

Atty
November 15th, 2013, 3:13 PM
Who the fuck voted for Silent Hill 4?

Pablo Diablo
November 15th, 2013, 5:53 PM
Lego Star Wars just made it onto my list. It was fun for what it was.

Mark Hammer
November 15th, 2013, 6:12 PM
Same reason VII looks so amazing next shit like VI.

Debatable.

The Rick
November 16th, 2013, 1:13 PM
X-Men Legends 2: Rise of Apocalypse

http://www.covergalaxy.com/ps2/X-Men%20Legends%202%20Rise%20Of%20Apocalypse%20COVER .jpg

Developed by: Raven Software, SuperVillain Studios
Composer: Gregor Narholz
Release date: September 20, 2005
By: Bert, Blackening

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97qFFMz06d0

Runners up
66. (tied) 13 points
Jack and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (1 vote)
Pro Evolution Soccer (1 vote)

Pablo Diablo
November 16th, 2013, 1:29 PM
I was the third. Very good game.

Beefy
November 16th, 2013, 1:34 PM
Lego Star Wars just made it onto my list. It was fun for what it was.

I loved it. Booted up the HD version on the PS3 the other day just for a couple of hours and I still think it's so much fun.

turdpower
November 16th, 2013, 1:35 PM
Never played it.

The Rick
November 16th, 2013, 6:30 PM
I liked X-Men Legends and Legends 2, but I played it a lot more on X-Box. With the exception of the Smackdown games the PS2 was my 1-2 player console. The X-Box, and GameCube was the 3-4 player console. The Legends games were far better with more people.

I like the Kingdom Heats games, but never loved them the way many did. There is so much charm to them, but the there are just some things that really grate on me during play.

The Rick
November 17th, 2013, 2:33 PM
#20 Tied
Tekken Tag Tournament

http://greleases.com/bg_bilder/tekken-tag-tournament-ps2-boxart.jpg

Developed by: NAMCO
Published by: NAMCO, (EU) SCEE
Directed by: Katsuhiro Harada
Release date: March 30, 2000
By: Bert

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bT6nBFXDPk

Runners up
62. (tied) 14 points
Bloody Roar 3 (1 vote)
Freedom Fighters (1 vote)
Max Payne (2 votes)
Mortal Kombat: Deception (1 vote)

turdpower
November 17th, 2013, 4:13 PM
I stopped playing Tekken after number 3 on PSX.

Why have they never taken Tekken to the modern world?

Pablo Diablo
November 17th, 2013, 4:20 PM
Tekken Tag number one eh Bert?

You know, never really got into playing it on the PS2 but it was fun in arcades.

Bert
November 17th, 2013, 4:26 PM
I played the shit out of X-Men Legends 2 and Tekken Tag. I want a new X-Men Legends game so bad.

Tekken Tag is the only fighting game I can remember where I actually beat arcade mode with every single character to unlock the rest of the characters. The roster was great and Tekken Bowl was amazing too.

Bloody Roar 3 was also one of mine. The characters transforming into animals was implemented so well and added something no other fighting game has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7bM5JToUrk

The Rick
November 17th, 2013, 5:16 PM
The only fighting games I could fit onto my list were two Smackdown games, and Soulcalibur II. I enjoyed more fighting games on PS1. Part of that was that a neighbor down the street had a Japanese exchange student that brought his PS1. He had a shit load of different fighting games. I played the Japanese Rival Schools game in July a week after it was released in JP. Then I bought my copy in September.

After some good 3D fighters on PS1(Bushido Blades, Tobals, Toshindens, etc...), the PS2 didn't follow up in that genre very well outside of the Smackdown games, and one HUGE OMISSION on my part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unGDaRa7pEw

I don't know why, but I completely forgot this title. I would probably put it at #10, and bump Drakan off of my list.

Pablo Diablo
November 17th, 2013, 5:20 PM
God damn. I forgot it as well. Def Jam Vendetta was my shit.

Chris
November 17th, 2013, 6:32 PM
I love Tekken Tag - easily my favourite fighting game, on PS2 or anything else. I spent many an afternoon playing Tekken Bowl with mates. Kept playing it right up the time where Wii Sports came out.

I knew I'd be the only one to vote for Freedom Fighters - I think it's hugely underrated. The squad-based gameplay was so simple and yet so much fun, and the ragdoll physics never got old.

T.I (uh oh)
November 17th, 2013, 6:44 PM
Tekken Tag was my #5. Great game. Probably the first game where I really noticed how important the meta game was. Among my group of mates, some of them were really experienced Tekken players - but they all used the same characters, and all had very similar play styles. I had never played a Tekken game in my life, and just chose characters who I thought looked cool. My mates had lots of trouble adapting to my 'style' of play (aka button mashing). Once I actually got the hang of my characters, it forced them to choose different characters to counteract mine. Made it much more interesting than watching countless battles between Paul, Jin, Marshall & Brian.

From the runners-up, I played a fair bit of Freedom Fighters - was a lot of fun - and I'm not someone who generally likes third-person shooters. Mortal Kombat Deception was ass. The very worst of the mainline MK games. 2 good things came from MKD - the Noob-Smoke team (and the revelation that Noob is OG Sub Zero), and Havik.

Mills
November 17th, 2013, 6:46 PM
I forgot def jam too :(

The Rogerer
November 18th, 2013, 5:06 AM
I stopped playing Tekken after number 3 on PSX.

Why have they never taken Tekken to the modern world?Are you thinking of Souledge/calibur?

The Rick
November 18th, 2013, 3:31 PM
#20 Tied
Kingdom Hearts II

http://vgboxart.com/boxes/PS2/27658-kingdom-hearts-2.png

Developed by: Square Enix Product Development Division 1
Directed by: Tetsuya Nomura
Produced by: Shinji Hashimoto, Yoshinori Kitase
Programmed by: Hiroshi Harata, Kentaro Yasui
Written by: Kazushige Nojima
Composer: Yoko Shimomura
Release date: December 22, 2005
Highest vote: 3rd
By: Mills

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03oMPJiR2mo

Runners up
56. (tied) 15 points
Beyond Good & Evil (1 vote)
Manhunt (1 vote)
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES (1 vote)
Rogue Galaxy (1 vote)
Silent Hill 3 (1 vote)
Socom 2 (1 vote)

Matthew
November 18th, 2013, 3:42 PM
yo i love tekken tag. fuck yea.

i am always really good with yoshimitsu which is fun. usually teamed with bryan for the 'odd-couple' dynamic.

would whoop you all.

JP
November 18th, 2013, 3:49 PM
Firstly, KH2 so low is a downer.

Secondly, I was the only person to vote for Rogue Galaxy? Level 5 brilliance.

Thirdly, 15 points though? It was my number 2, not my number 2, Rick.

The Rick
November 18th, 2013, 3:52 PM
Firstly, KH2 so low is a downer.

Secondly, I was the only person to vote for Rogue Galaxy? Level 5 brilliance.

I have at #3 for you. 13 points for the list, and 2 points for being on one list.

JP
November 18th, 2013, 3:56 PM
Ahhhhhhh, I gets you.

And I just remembered what I have at two, which if my number 1 doesn't win (it won't you perfection hating bastards) then it better. :squint:

The Rogerer
November 18th, 2013, 4:05 PM
I couldn't be doing with Kingdom Hearts at all. It was all too soulless for me, characters I liked just being resurrected to look pretty on screen.

turdpower
November 18th, 2013, 4:51 PM
Guess what guys?

I've never heard of this.

The Rogerer
November 18th, 2013, 4:52 PM
Turdpower were you thinking of the SOULCALIBUR GAMES?

turdpower
November 18th, 2013, 4:52 PM

Yeah, I didn't vote for it. But I didn't vote for it.

turdpower
November 18th, 2013, 4:53 PM
Turdpower were you thinking of the SOULCALIBUR GAMES?

Vaguely heard of that.

Never played it.

God I'm such a fucking cunt. I'm the same with movies. Up until about 2 years ago I'd never seen any movies ever basically.

The Rogerer
November 18th, 2013, 4:55 PM
I asked because you said "Why don't they make a modern day Tekken" when they are set in the present

turdpower
November 18th, 2013, 4:59 PM
I more meant, take the characters from Tekken and turn it into an action-adventure game.

The Rogerer
November 18th, 2013, 5:04 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/89/Death_by_Degrees.jpg/256px-Death_by_Degrees.jpg

It was rubbish

turdpower
November 18th, 2013, 5:07 PM
Nar, I want Yoshimitsu mate.

The Rogerer
November 18th, 2013, 5:13 PM
He is in Anna Kournikova's Smash Court Tennis, which I have a copy of.

turdpower
November 18th, 2013, 5:14 PM
I had the demo of that and fucking loved it.

turdpower
November 18th, 2013, 5:14 PM
Never enough to buy the full game.

The Rogerer
November 18th, 2013, 5:15 PM
The gutting feeling when you started something on a Playstation demo disc and it was only a video

turdpower
November 18th, 2013, 5:16 PM
What were those demos all about that felt like they'd been made by a disabled man?

The Rogerer
November 18th, 2013, 5:23 PM
:lol:

The Net Yaroze ones? There was a 'make your own playstation game' kit that was pretty expensive and sometimes they'd put one of them on.

Peter Griffin
November 18th, 2013, 5:45 PM
Jak and Daxter not even on the proper list is appalling.

T.I (uh oh)
November 18th, 2013, 6:21 PM
So looks like I was the only one to vote for Beyond Good & Evil. Thats now 5 of 15 on my list that I was the only vote. I'm guessing that my #1 will be a solo vote too. Ouch.

No wonder Ubisoft won't fund BGE2 - obviously no market for it. :p

Bert
November 18th, 2013, 8:17 PM
To me Beyond Good & Evil was a Gamecube game, until now I didn't even know it was on PS2. A friend of mine had it on Gamecube and really liked it but I never played it for more than 5 minutes. Now I have it on Steam and haven't even played it 5 minutes.

T.I (uh oh)
November 18th, 2013, 8:18 PM
Yeah I owned BGE on Gamecube - but it's too good to leave off this list. So fucking play it alright!

The Rick
November 19th, 2013, 3:18 PM
#18 Tied
SSX: Tricky

http://www.covergalaxy.com/ps2/SSX%20Tricky%20COVER.jpg

Developed by: EA Canada
Published by: (NA) EA Sports Big, (EU) Electronic Arts, (JP) Electronic Arts Victor
Release date: November 5, 2001
By: Pablo Diablo

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZs9m_oRY4s

Runners up
51. (tied) 16 points
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (2 votes)
Madden 2005 (1 vote)
Pro Evolution Soccer 4 (1 vote)
Socom: Combined Assault (2 vote)
Tekken 5 (2 votes)

The Rogerer
November 19th, 2013, 3:27 PM
BADOMP DAMP DOMP

SSX was the first PS2 game that really impressed me, and Tricky turned it up a few notches to something louder and more exciting.

Mills
November 19th, 2013, 3:34 PM
i loved SSX, really glammed up the THPS series then made it its own

T.I (uh oh)
November 19th, 2013, 6:55 PM
SSX Tricky is so awesome.

The track design is amazing - so many different routes, so much potential for big air, and no death pits that sprung up in the reboot.
Also had an awesome soundtrack, great effects (pyro, lighting etc). Just a pleasure to play.

It's weird, cause I consider Tricky to be super revolutionary - but it didn't spawn that many clones. Probably because they set the bar so high that they scared off potential competitors.

Hopefully this is a sign that SSX 3 is well high on this list - as it is superior to Tricky in almost every way - although Tricky may stick out more in people's minds as it was quite an early release on PS2.

Pablo Diablo
November 19th, 2013, 7:19 PM
TRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRICKY

Loved this game so much.

I put Tricky on higher than SSX 3 just because I remember enjoying Tricky more.

The Rick
November 19th, 2013, 8:00 PM
I missed out on SSX. I didn't get my PS2 until the Gran Turismo 3 bundle. I was strapped for cash after I bought it, and was very judicious at what I bought. By the time I wanted to play it SSX: Tricky came out. Blew my mind. I liked Cool Boarders on PSX, but it didn't have the same impact that Tricky had when I played it. The tracks are so memorable, and I maxed out every character. SSX 3 was really good, but Tricky had so much more impact upon me.

The Rick
November 20th, 2013, 9:42 AM
#18 Tied
Silent Hill 2

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3oLB6Otdlcs/TT8_m6mEj2I/AAAAAAAAJb4/Im1GNfn1knw/s1600/silent_hill_2_retail_dvd-front.jpg

Developed by: Konami Computer Entertainment Tokyo
Directed by: Masashi Tsuboyama
Produced by: Akihiro Imamura
Written by: Hiroyuki Owaku, Takayoshi Sato
Composer: Akira Yamaoka
Release date: September 24, 2001
By: Kunt 4 Life

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ll2pFSbUhY

Runners up
46. (tied) 17 points
Gran Turismo 4 (3 votes)
Killer 7 (1 vote)
Socom 3 (1 vote)

JP
November 20th, 2013, 9:49 AM
I adore the story and concept of SH2, but I just didn't enjoy the gameplay that much.

Atty
November 20th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Only four votes? Rick, mind posting where the four people had it ranked? Kunt had it #1 and I think I had it #3 or #4. I would say I'm shocked it's this low, but after Sands of Time and Ico showed up this low, I'm not. There are a lot of HD re-releases out there that people should try.

JP, with Silent Hill 1-3 the controls were absolutely terrible but that only added to it for me. It made the games all the more claustrophobic for me when things would creek around in the shadows and fog. I'm claustrophobic anyway, but it made those games so immersive and disturbing to me that I think they're just brilliant.

Kunt 4 Life
November 20th, 2013, 4:41 PM
That makes me sad that Sh2 is so low down. Absoulty loved that game and i dont think the sh series has topped it.

The Rogerer
November 20th, 2013, 4:50 PM
The HD re-release is shockingly creaky and not a good way to play it. It's a brilliant game though, still manages to get under my skin in a way that nothing else manages. I'm also a fan of how the game plays, almost too simple and weird but it makes combat feel alien

The Rick
November 20th, 2013, 7:27 PM
Only four votes? Rick, mind posting where the four people had it ranked? Kunt had it #1 and I think I had it #3 or #4. I would say I'm shocked it's this low, but after Sands of Time and Ico showed up this low, I'm not. There are a lot of HD re-releases out there that people should try.

1st, 3rd, 7th, and 15th

The Rick
November 20th, 2013, 7:31 PM
Had I play Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks on PS2, it would have been on my list. I played it on X-box though. If I didn't play it and enjoy it on the PS2, I didn't put it on my list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM4afA5kodI

blackening
November 20th, 2013, 7:55 PM
Runners up
This was my #1. Nobody else enjoyed or even played the Ratchet and Clank games?

T.I (uh oh)
November 20th, 2013, 8:23 PM
Runners up
46. (tied) 17 points
Killer 7 (1 vote)

These were me.

killer7 was my number 1. It's definitely not for everyone, and it sold like ass, so I probably shouldn't be surprised that no-one else gave it a vote.
Shoaling Monks was down a bit further. Apparently Shoaling Monks is getting a remake/reboot using the MK9 engine. Day 1.

Mark Hammer
November 21st, 2013, 11:01 AM
Very surprised that I was 1 of only 2 people who voted for MK: Shaolin Monks. That game was lots of fun. Interesting regarding a remake, I hadn't heard that.

Mark Hammer
November 21st, 2013, 11:03 AM
Ignore.

The Rick
November 21st, 2013, 3:16 PM
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008

http://paybymobilephone.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/pro-evolution-soccer-2008-ps2.jpg

Release date: 26 October 2007
By: Turdpower

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1KNNd3lqYY

Runners up
43. (tied)
Resident Evil: Code Veronica (2 votes)
SSX (3 votes)

45. Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (19 points, 2 votes)

The Rick
November 22nd, 2013, 4:11 PM
SSX 3

http://www.covergalaxy.com/ps2/SSX%203%20COVER.jpg

Developed by: EA Canada
Published by: EA Sports Big
Release date: October 20, 2003
By: Stan Accy

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmyd2kTuR_s

Runners up
41. (tied) 21 points
Timesplitters 2
Viewtiful Joe

Pablo Diablo
November 22nd, 2013, 6:43 PM
It was a good game. I wish Tricky was above it but I guess looking back it was technically the better game.

The Rick
November 22nd, 2013, 7:28 PM
Technically yes, and the multiplayer was better. I don't have near the memory of it that I do with Tricky though. However, there are some sections in 3 where you seem to fall forever. The visuals in the distance are just so crisp, and immense.

Dreyski
November 23rd, 2013, 5:12 AM
Never played it...hang on :shifty:

About the only thing Tricky had over this was the different board types (e.g. racing boards were much faster but a pig to control). Beautiful, beautiful games to watch, listen to and play. Not sure about the player in the video though, 3 minutes for Snow Jam? :lol:

The Rick
November 23rd, 2013, 12:33 PM
Final Fantasy XII

http://vgboxart.com/boxes/PS2/8261-final-fantasy-xii.png?t=1182016404

Developed by: Square Enix Product Development Division 4
Directed by: Hiroyuki Ito, Hiroshi Minagawa
Produced by: Akitoshi Kawazu
Artists: Hideo Minaba, Isamu Kamikokuryo
Written by: Daisuke Watanabe, Miwa Shoda, Yasumi Matsuno
Composers: Hitoshi Sakimoto, Hayato Matsuo, Masaharu Iwata, Nobuo Uematsu, Taro Hakase, Yuji Toriyama
Release date: March 16, 2006
By: JP

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEmIKXz4ZgI

Runners up
39. MVP Baseball 05 (23 points, 2 votes)

40. Burnout 3: Takedown (22 points, 2 votes)

The_Mike
November 23rd, 2013, 12:38 PM
I've said a few times over the years that I really liked this game but thought it was a terrible Final Fantasy. Terrible may be a little strong but the story just wasn't there for me. Considering the strength of the story in Final Fantasy Tactics, you'd think revisiting Ivalice would make for something epic, but unfortunately they kind of over did it and it went from epic to vague and impersonal. I just couldn't find a reason to care about anybody. The actual gameplay was great though, hunts were a fun diversion and the battle system was swift enough to make grinding range from tolerable to fun. It's a great engine and it had wonderful atmosphere. I wish somebody could get a hold of that world and system SE created and make a game with a different story. It's a really good RPG, it just doesn't fit with the drama and emotion of most of the rest of the series, to my mind.

The Rick
November 23rd, 2013, 12:41 PM
And I'll say I kinda really like this game, but it was killing my Final Fantasy love hour by hour as I played it. I don't like that battle system, and it felt so far away from what Final Fantasy is to me. If it was called anything other than Final Fantasy I don't think I would have had a problem putting it on my list.

The Rogerer
November 23rd, 2013, 1:27 PM
I was all up for it with the pedigree of Tactics and Vagrant Story, but this game didn't have it's head screwed on. That is a poor choice of metaphor since director Yasumi Matsuno had a breakdown and left the company during the development. Also it had a shockingly terrible soundtrack for an FF game. No memorable music whatsoever.

The_Mike
November 23rd, 2013, 10:58 PM
A couple of tracks grew on me over time but they were really just nice ambience. You're right, there was basically nothing memorable in the soundtrack. With XIII and XIV being outright train wrecks it looks like the series as we knew it basically died in a dusty field in Ivalice. I had heard there were staff issues but didn't know about Matsuno specifically, but it might explain why reportedly they didn't come up with the character of Vaan until near the end of development. That would be Vaan the main character. I can imagine the pressure to keep up the tradition of great, dramatic stories was enormous, but coming up with new main cast members at the near last minute can't have been a good direction to go.

JP
November 24th, 2013, 5:49 AM
My favourite game of all time. The best use of hardware we're ever likely to see and groundbreaking in its execution.

I don't get the dislike for the battle system, with it being the most intuitive of any ff battle system to date. Neither do I understand why people think it's a weak story or that it has weak characters. It is very un-ff like in its story but that by no means makes it weak. It is the opposite of FF 13 in many ways (which for 30 odd hours sucks ass), with a more complicated, nuanced and relatable story and characters, much better music - give me well built orchestral over cartoony signature tunes any day - and genuine originality running through it rather than being filled with paper thin anime tropes and weak set piece after weak set piece.

It is so much fun, incredibly deep, has wonderful end game content and introduced us to Ivalice, a world and lore that actually feel substantial as opposed to just being there to be used.

The_Mike
November 24th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Wait, what game are you talking about?

The Rick
November 24th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Bully

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WZOC2jgU_hI/TrS2g6j5geI/AAAAAAAADmI/CpWw9ndJDw0/s1600/capa_ps2_%5Bwww.gamecover.com.br%5D0204.jpg

Developed by: Rockstar Vancouver
Published by: Rockstar Games, (JP) Bethesda Softworks
Written by: Dan Houser, Jacob Krarup
Composed by: Shawn Lee
Release date: 17 October 2006
Votes: 7
By: Stan Accy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzyhtkwyyx0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzyhtkwyyx0

Runners up
37. (tied) 24 points
Ratchet and Clank (2 votes)
WWF Smackdown!: Just Bring It (3 votes)

The_Mike
November 24th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Loved this one. It was a really addictive, fun little sandbox, and I think the mechanic of following a timetable really added to it. I'm surprised there never was a sequel or a game with similar mechanics made more recently. As usual, the controversy surrounding it showed how talented a lot of people are at summoning faux outrage.

Dreyski
November 25th, 2013, 6:25 PM
My favourite game of all time. The best use of hardware we're ever likely to see and groundbreaking in its execution.

I don't get the dislike for the battle system, with it being the most intuitive of any ff battle system to date. Neither do I understand why people think it's a weak story or that it has weak characters. It is very un-ff like in its story but that by no means makes it weak. It is the opposite of FF 13 in many ways (which for 30 odd hours sucks ass), with a more complicated, nuanced and relatable story and characters, much better music - give me well built orchestral over cartoony signature tunes any day - and genuine originality running through it rather than being filled with paper thin anime tropes and weak set piece after weak set piece.

It is so much fun, incredibly deep, has wonderful end game content and introduced us to Ivalice, a world and lore that actually feel substantial as opposed to just being there to be used.

Looks like it's me and you against the world, JP.

That said, it was my first dip into the world of FF (and then I went to X-2), so I can understand why some are hating on it, but I said a similar thing about SSX On Tour. Take away the name, and there's a perfectly good game underneath. It's just a departure from what came before, and I hate random encounters.

The Rick
November 25th, 2013, 7:58 PM
God of War

http://www.covergalaxy.com/ps2/God%20Of%20War%20COVER.jpg

Developed by: SCE Santa Monica Studio
Published by: Sony Computer Entertainment, (JP) Capcom
Directed by: David Jaffe
Produced by: Shannon Studstill
Artist: Dave Matthews
Written by: Marianne Krawczyk, Alexander Stein, David Jaffe, Keith Fay
Composers: Gerard Marino, Mike Reagan, Ron Fish, Winifred Phillips, Winnie Waldron, Cris Velasco, Marcello De Francisci
Release date: March 22, 2005
By: Atty, Funboy

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITnI6ZZIAsk

Runners up
36. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 (26 points, 2 votes)

Peter Griffin
November 25th, 2013, 8:05 PM
Only ever played the HD collection on ps3, But fantastic series of games.

Bert
November 25th, 2013, 8:17 PM
Bully was great but I've really only played it on PC so I didn't put in my PS2 list.

Pablo Diablo
November 25th, 2013, 8:55 PM
Ah God of War. Rekindling my interest in Classical Greek myth. Good stuff this was.

Atty
November 25th, 2013, 11:52 PM
The God of Wars were late enough on PS2's lifespan that I didn't play them until the HD Collections. Amazing games. The first is so great. A simple but powerful story with very tight controls and fantastically fun gameplay. Much like Sands of Time in that regard. God of War II improved in many ways but I related to the story less, largely because it forced me to be a fucking pillow biter right at the start. Tried everything to avoid putting my powers into that sword so that Zeus could pop a more predictably heel turn than HHH.

The Rick
November 26th, 2013, 3:58 PM
Pro Evolution Soccer 6

http://www.caratulas.com/juegos/caratulas/P/Pro_Evolution_Soccer_6-DVD-PS2.jpg

Release date: 27 October 2006
Votes: 5

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbJ2iz83Nxc

Runners up
34. (tied) 28 points
Fire Pro Wreslting Returns (3 votes)
Guitar Hero (3 votes)

JP
November 26th, 2013, 4:13 PM
I missed out on this edition of Pro Evo so I've never seen Cesc's blow job face before.

turdpower
November 26th, 2013, 5:13 PM
We had John Terry on our version instead of Cesc.

I seem to recall they actually did adverts with Adriano and Terry too.

Adriano was ridiculous on that game too, 99 shot power and loads of rumours floating around that him and Recoba were "hard coded" into the game to be better than their stats showed just because the guy who owned Konami loved them.

The Rick
November 27th, 2013, 3:53 PM
Resident Evil 4

http://www.covergalaxy.com/ps2/Resident%20Evil%204%20COVER.jpg

Developed by: Capcom Production Studio 4
Published by: Capcom
Directed by: Shinji Mikami
Produced by: Hiroyuki Kobayashi
Designers: Toshita Kotani, Shigenori Nishikawa, Koji Kakae
Artists: Yoshiaki Hirabayashi, Yuichi Akimoto, Yoshifumi Hattori
Written by: Shinji Mikami, Haruo Murata
Composers: Misao Senbongi, Shusaku Uchiyama
Release date: October 25, 2005
Votes: 6
By: Fro, Mark Hammer

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETUgPTf2Reg

Runners up
33. Soulcalibur II (30 points, 3 votes)

JP
November 27th, 2013, 4:21 PM
In my top 5 games ever made, but a Gamecube game for me.

The Rick
November 27th, 2013, 7:25 PM
... a Gamecube game for me.

:yes:

My Gamecube didn't have the wealth of great titles that the PS2 did. When a great game came out for it, I made a point to pick it up.

The_Mike
November 27th, 2013, 11:49 PM
I got it on the Wii, it was just great fun throughout. I do not understand how they managed to pull this gem out of such a terrible franchise, or how they managed to go back to making such atrocious nonsense soon after. It's brilliant as a shooter, as a survival horror, even as a toy for the Wiimote with the various modes available.

The Rick
November 28th, 2013, 12:06 PM
# 10
God of War II

http://www.caratulas.com/juegos/caratulas/G/God_Of_War_2-DVD-PS2.jpg

Developed by: SCE Santa Monica Studio
Published by: Sony Computer Entertainment, (JP) Capcom
Directed by: Cory Barlog
Produced by: Steve Caterson
Written by: Cory Barlog, James Barlog, Marianne Krawczyk
Composed by: Gerard Marino, Ron Fish, Mike Reagan, Cris Velasco
Release date: March 13, 2007
By: Funboy

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsa5jD3sba8

The Rick
November 29th, 2013, 1:58 PM
# 9
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

http://www.covergalaxy.com/ps2/Tony%20Hawks%20Pro%20Skater%203%20COVER.jpg

Developed by: Neversoft
Release date: October 28, 2001

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U3kTTxMBvY

Pablo Diablo
November 29th, 2013, 2:30 PM
Didn't comment yesterday but God of War 2 was a really, really enjoyable game. I think it was my favourite of the series. Haven't played the last one yet though.

The Rick
November 29th, 2013, 3:36 PM
Both God of War II, and THPS 3 appeared on my list. Both great games, and memorable moments abound from each. Specifically God of War II probably has the best opening sequence with the Colossus of Rhodes. I don't think any other game opening has grabbed my attention span by the throat the way GoW II did.

http://basementrejects.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/god-of-war-ii-colossus.jpg

Mark Hammer
November 29th, 2013, 6:26 PM
I absolutely loved RE4 and owned it on both the PS2 and Gamecube. Turned the RE formula upside down and succeeded tremendously. I'm surprised it didn't place higher.

turdpower
November 29th, 2013, 7:52 PM
Looking back I probably don't rank it third, but it was brilliant. Not the best game in the THPS series, but the leap between 2 and 3 was the biggest of the series, and thus the most impressive.

Atty
November 29th, 2013, 9:53 PM
Both God of War II, and THPS 3 appeared on my list. Both great games, and memorable moments abound from each. Specifically God of War II probably has the best opening sequence with the Colossus of Rhodes. I don't think any other game opening has grabbed my attention span by the throat the way GoW II did.

http://basementrejects.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/god-of-war-ii-colossus.jpg

Uncharted 2 and Mass Effect 2 had better openings to me, but GoW II is class in how it throws you straight into a massive battle.

The Rick
November 30th, 2013, 2:04 PM
# 8
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

http://www.covergalaxy.com/ps2/Metal%20Gear%20Solid%202%20Sons%20Of%20Liberty%20D UTCH%20PAL%20COVER.jpg

Developed by: KCEJ
Directed by: Hideo Kojima
Produced by: Hideo Kojima
Written by: Hideo Kojima, Tomokazu Fukushima
Composed by: Harry Gregson-Williams, Norihiko Hibino, Rika Muranaka
Release date: November 12, 2001
Votes: 11
By: The Rogerer

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGM-LD9gyXY

The Rogerer
November 30th, 2013, 2:16 PM
People will think I'm mental for putting this first, but this game encapsulates so much about the Playstation 2 for me and it was the reason I wanted to get one, as well as being a sequel that actively subverts the notion of being a sequel. It debuted so many gameplay features that were miles ahead of what was possible in the previous game, and the story is also absolutely mental. I don't blame people for preferring Snake Eater, but I think this game has much tighter gameplay, and maybe I'm rooting for the underdog, but this was the foundation that Snake Eater built on and in some ways muddied with throwing everything at the wall to see what stuck.

You also have crazy things, like when you start and say you haven't played MGS1, it cuts the first hour or two out of the game in order to set up a mystery that new players might not recognise. Unashamedly crazy.

The_Mike
November 30th, 2013, 2:19 PM
That sounds like a pretty interesting feature. I wish more games could be aware of where you're coming from in relation to the franchise and adapt accordingly.

The Rick
December 1st, 2013, 2:22 PM
# 7
Shadow of the Colossus

http://www.covergalaxy.com/ps2/Shadow%20Of%20The%20Colossus%20COVER.jpg

Developed by: Team Ico
Published by: Sony Computer Entertainment
Directed by: Fumito Ueda
Produced by: Kenji Kaido
Composed by: Kow Otani
Release date: October 18, 2005
Votes: 8
By: Atty

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4l2iuGWxGA

Pablo Diablo
December 1st, 2013, 3:05 PM
I really should get that Ico/SoC combo pack and finally play these games.

The Rick
December 1st, 2013, 3:10 PM
I really should get that Ico/SoC combo pack and finally play these games.

Or you could have gotten PS+, and would already have them. ;)

Fantastic game. On paper, boss battle after boss battle doesn't sound the most appealing game. In practice, though, it is a fabulous game. Great art, and styling.

Pablo Diablo
December 1st, 2013, 3:34 PM
If I were in the states I would have gotten PS+ on Friday. Sony hates Canada though and we don't get the good sales. So out of protest I'm still not getting it.

The Rick
December 1st, 2013, 3:52 PM
If I were in the states I would have gotten PS+ on Friday. Sony hates Canada though and we don't get the good sales. So out of protest I'm still not getting it.

I thought the codes were only specific to north america. You could have taken advantage of the Amazon $30 card, or the $25 ebay sales. Regardless, PS+ is a great deal even without the sale. 4 games each month. Now one of those is a vita game, so you might not be able to use it now. Download those games and delete them, because you might pick up a Vita down the road.

Pablo Diablo
December 1st, 2013, 4:01 PM
I thought the codes were only specific to north america. You could have taken advantage of the Amazon $30 card, or the $25 ebay sales. Regardless, PS+ is a great deal even without the sale. 4 games each month. Now one of those is a vita game, so you might not be able to use it now. Download those games and delete them, because you might pick up a Vita down the road.

I wouldn't have been able to buy it.

It's a fair point about the PS+ in general.

The Rick
December 2nd, 2013, 3:49 PM
# 5 (Tied)
Grand Theft Auto III

http://bundae.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/grand_theft_auto_3-usa.jpg

Developed by: DMA Design
Published by: Rockstar Games, (JP) Capcom
Directed by: Adam Fowler, Obbe Vermeij
Produced by: Leslie Benzies, Dan Houser
Written by: Dan Houser, Paul Kurowski, James Worrall
Release date: October 22, 2001
By: Chris, Peter Griffin

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jONTvpvj7DM

The_Mike
December 2nd, 2013, 9:28 PM
I thought this might be number one, actually. I guess it'll be Vice City or San Andreas then. A fantastic game, a real treat for just fucking around in a city-sized sandbox. Technically surpassed many times over by subsequent games, but it was such a strong initial offering and such a huge leap from the 2D games that it was seriously groundbreaking. Wish they hadn't crippled flying, though it's obvious why.

The Rogerer
December 3rd, 2013, 5:08 AM
I've seen it said that flying was always out, but who knows.

I completed this and Vice City back to back last year, and I preferred 3. The map is a lot better, and although Vice City does a good job of capturing the 80s, GTA 3 created it's own little world. It was funny to see Vice City already start to creep in little extra features that would go on to be the bloat. Vice City is an achievement in how quickly they were able to make it after GTA 3, but even it just felt like a repeat of what GTA 3 was doing. Again, a game that came out quite early and defined the console.

Beefy
December 3rd, 2013, 7:20 AM
III's Liberty City is still my favourite GTA World. I played it end of last year/beginning of this one and you just slot back in straight away. I thought this might be no.1 too.

The Rick
December 3rd, 2013, 3:43 PM
# 5 (Tied)
Final Fantasy X

http://www.covergalaxy.com/ps2/Final%20Fantasy%20X%20Dutch%20PAL%20COVER.jpg

Developed by: Square
Published by: (JP) Square, (NA) Square EA, (AU) SCE Australia, (EU) SCEE
Produced/Directed by: Yoshinori Kitase
Written by: Kazushige Nojima, Daisuke Watanabe, Motomu Toriyama
Composed by: Nobuo Uematsu, Masashi Hamauzu, Junya Nakano
Release date: July 19, 2001
Votes: 10
By: Peter Griffin

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNCK_9X5D2A

The_Mike
December 3rd, 2013, 4:02 PM
To me, the last proper Final Fantasy, though X-2 and XII were enjoyable games in their own right. Some of the writing's a bit silly and Tidus just isn't a very interesting character, but it's a beautifully realised world that hits so many right notes for me as an RPG fan. They also managed to get away with not having an overworld map or much chance for exploring. I'm not sure why it feels so different in physical structure from FFXIII's corridors of tedium, but it probably helps that I actually cared about where I was, where I was going, and what was going on. The pilgrimage story gives the narrative a constant driving force that helps them get away with there not being much scope for wandering around, I suppose.

The Rogerer
December 3rd, 2013, 4:17 PM
Flicking back through the list, I got shut up as I approached #25 but in the top 15-20 there's only a couple of games that came out between 2001 and 2005. The PS2 had a very strong start and finish but I can't remember what was happening in that middle period :lol:

I quite liked FFX at the time although wasn't entirely entranced with it. I look forward to maybe getting the HD rerelease and not suffering the awful PAL conversion.

The Rick
December 4th, 2013, 10:02 PM
# 4
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

http://www.covergalaxy.com/ps2/Metal%20Gear%20Solid%203%20Snake%20Eater%20PAL%20C OVER.jpg

Developed by: KCEJ (Snake Eater), Kojima Productions (Subsistence)
Directed/Produced by: Hideo Kojima
Written by: Hideo Kojima, Tomokazu Fukushima, Shuyo Murata
Composed by: Harry Gregson-Williams, Norihiko Hibino, Shuichi Kobori, Nobuko Toda, Rika Muranaka, Star Sailor
Release date: November 17, 2004
By: Beefy, Psycho666soldier

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti4sqG85FU4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koo_7H8xKYQ

The_Mike
December 4th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Never was a fan of the MGS series, so I can't offer a comment. For the rest of the list, we're obviously looking at Vice City, San Andreas and what else?

Pablo Diablo
December 4th, 2013, 10:14 PM
This really was a great game. Almost ended up right where I rated it. I think it's my favourite of the series. By a bit as well actually.

Pablo Diablo
December 4th, 2013, 10:16 PM
Not sure what we're still missing. All my list will be done with SA and VC.

The_Mike
December 4th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Must be Here Comes the Pain now that I think about it.

Atty
December 5th, 2013, 12:24 AM
Yeah, it will be an SD game...

Beefy
December 5th, 2013, 5:26 AM
Never was a fan of the MGS series, so I can't offer a comment.

MGS3 is the best game of all time, IMO. Absolutely awesome and really got me back into the series after MGS2 had completely killed off my enthusiasm.

I'd say that it is the most accessible game of the series for new-comers as well - with fewer tedious codec conversations and a fairly straight-forward narrative. The HD version of Subsistence is fucking beautiful as well.

Dreyski
December 5th, 2013, 6:51 PM
Absolutely stunning game. Some of the best visuals on the PS2 ever, when I got the HD version on PS3 I couldn't even tell the difference. Plus any excuse for posting this again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yf1Q4VPW6o

The Rick
December 5th, 2013, 7:57 PM
# 3
WWF Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain

http://www.covergalaxy.com/ps2/WWE%20Smackdown!%20Here%20Comes%20The%20Pain%20COV ER.jpg

Developed by: Yuke's
Published by: THQ
Release date: October 27, 2003
Votes: 11
By: The Rick

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUpqU1zdMMw

Pablo Diablo
December 5th, 2013, 8:02 PM
I don't think I've played any wrestling game since N64. Madness.

turdpower
December 5th, 2013, 8:13 PM
I can't remember if I voted for this or not.

Bert
December 5th, 2013, 8:14 PM
HCTP is the best wrestling game.

The_Mike
December 5th, 2013, 8:31 PM
I think I preferred its direct successor, but it was a very good instalment of the Smackdown series. A lot of people keep saying its control scheme and match flow were the best ever, but I didn't find it much different from the games either side of it. Was this the one with the Elimination Chamber that couldn't really be used for anything cool? Great roster, though, and I actually thought the bra and panties match had a fun gameplay mechanic. Stripping polygonal wrestlers, though... what a strange thing to do. They should have probably included some kind of video footage for after the match, because it was blatantly for fapping purposes anyway. At least then it would involve real women.

The Rick
December 6th, 2013, 5:08 PM
# 2
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

http://www.covergalaxy.com/ps2/Grand%20Theft%20Auto%20San%20Andreas%20PAL%20COVER .jpg

Developed by: Rockstar North
Published by: Rockstar Games, Capcom (Japan)
Written by: Dan Houser, James Worrall, DJ Pooh
Release date: October 26, 2004
Votes: 16
By: Mark Hammer

Gameplay

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e131/mnmfan/BluehellMap.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e131/mnmfan/BluehellMap.jpg

The Rick
December 6th, 2013, 5:13 PM
# 1
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

http://www.covergalaxy.com/ps2/Grand%20Theft%20Auto%20Vice%20City%20COVER.jpg

Developed by: Rockstar North
Published by: Rockstar Games, Capcom (Japan)
Written by: Dan Houser, James Worrall
Release date: October 27, 2002
Votes: 15
By: Olympus, Pablo Diablo

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikuQNuRI-ao

http://i49.tinypic.com/34iqw03.gif

Pablo Diablo
December 6th, 2013, 5:54 PM
Yes! Nailed it.

Pablo Diablo
December 6th, 2013, 5:56 PM
I have never been as hyped for a game as I was for this and no game has met my expectations as much as this.

I think it's the first game I ever 100%. In a time before Trophy's and achievements too.

This trailer here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjc7aPui55I

I can't hear that song without being transported back to Vice City. The different districts you could go in. Man I just loved this game.

turdpower
December 6th, 2013, 7:18 PM
Guitar Hero 80's.

JP
December 6th, 2013, 7:22 PM
Glad Vice City got the number one, I think it's a vastly superior game to SA.

Pablo Diablo
December 6th, 2013, 7:25 PM
Guitar Hero 80's.

I enjoyed that one too despite it being a phone-in job from Harmonix to finish their deal and get onto making Rock Band.

Bert
December 6th, 2013, 7:42 PM
Glad Vice City got the number one, I think it's a vastly superior game to SA.

No swimming though.