PDA

View Full Version : The 2014 FIFA World Cup general discussion thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Beefy
October 21st, 2013, 10:23 AM
With the European play-off draw having taken place I thought now was a decent time for a main thread for the build-up to the tournament.

Portugal v Sweden

France v Ukraine

Greece v Romania

Iceland v Croatia

Croatia have been pants lately so I'd say Iceland have a great chance of qualifying. I'd fancy Sweden over the Portuguese so we could have a Ronaldo-less World Cup.

Simon
October 21st, 2013, 10:32 AM
I'd love to see Iceland qualify, never realised until recently just how small the country is, 300k and only 20k registered footballers which includes everyone down to park football.

Hopefully Portugal, France, Romania and Iceland. Would love to see Croatia there ahead of every other play-off team except Iceland, never mind. Sad that one of Ronaldo and Ibra won't be there.

El Capitano Gatisto
October 21st, 2013, 11:04 AM
That's identical to my feelings on it. I want Zlatan at the World Cup but also Ronaldo needs to be there. I always want Croatia to do well but it would be amazing for Iceland to go, especially to see Eidur Gudjohnsen at a big international tournament.

turdpower
October 21st, 2013, 1:01 PM
I saw an idea on Football 365 which is mental and would never happen but could potentially be great fun just to think about.

A "my country didn't qualify" squad. Bale, Zlatan/Cristiano, Lewandowski, Vidic etc.

Prototype16
October 21st, 2013, 1:49 PM
Pretty interesting draw - none seem like foregone conclusions. Portugal and France probably got the hardest draws they could without facing each other.

For nostalgic reasons Romania making it would be nice - they contributed a lot to the tournaments in the 1990s- but I don't much about their current squad and I always find myself rooting for Greece when they make a tournament so I'd be happy with either of those going through

It would be great to see Iceland make it but seems unlikely, they came through a fairly weak group. I like seeing a few new teams making the finals though - I was pleased Bosnia finally made it and Burkina Faso have a great chance. Hopefully Iceland can do it too

Grimario
November 19th, 2013, 6:42 PM
Uruguay and Mexico are the likely two remaining teams to quality which (according to a few sites) means these are the likely pots.

Pot 1
Brazil
Argentina
Colombia
Uruguay*
Spain
Germany
Belgium
Switzerland

Pot 2
Japan
Australia
Iran
South Korea
USA
Costa Rica
Honduras
Mexico*

Pot 3
Chile
Ecuador
Ivory Coast
Nigeria
Cameroon
Ghana
Algeria
Russia

Pot 4
Netherlands
Italy
Bosnia-Herzegovina
England
Portugal
France
Greece
Croatia

Simon
November 19th, 2013, 7:36 PM
Draw on Dec 6th. If we avoid Chile and Russia in Pot 3 it would have to be a pretty big cock up for us not to get through. Hope we get Ghana or Ivory Coast.

El Capitano Gatisto
November 19th, 2013, 7:42 PM
Ghana are apparently a very good side at the moment. They smashed Egypt 6-1 in the first play-off leg which suggests they must be alright.

Judas Iscariot
November 20th, 2013, 3:15 AM
New Zealand had ONE JOB to score five more goals than Mexico.

Stupid fucking kiwis.

Judas Iscariot
November 20th, 2013, 3:25 AM
It's absolutely adorable how excited the kiwi fans get whenever they touch the ball or complete a pass, though.

Judas Iscariot
November 20th, 2013, 3:41 AM
There's just something beautiful with the kiwi reaction to that penalty.

My lord kiwis have to be the most inherently happy people in the world.

Judas Iscariot
November 20th, 2013, 3:41 AM
Oh my god another goal. What an amazing people.

Grimario
November 20th, 2013, 3:42 AM
They could yet pull this off.... only need 6 more in the last 10 minutes!

Judas Iscariot
November 20th, 2013, 3:45 AM
Fucking Mexico.

Judas Iscariot
November 20th, 2013, 3:47 AM
I just hate Mexico so much. I don't want any Mexicans to be happy.

Grimario
November 20th, 2013, 3:48 AM
Racist. Going to call you Judas Griffin.

Judas Iscariot
November 20th, 2013, 4:03 AM
It's not racist, it's truth.

My favorite thing last World Cup was watching US v England, talking shit and getting into a giant Yanks v English "God Save The Queen" vs "My Country Tis of Thee" sing off and buying drinks for one another. It was brilliant.

US vs Brazil at the Confederation Cup, they tried to teach me how to dance.

Gold Cup against Mexico? Try to dodge the glass beer bottles that are hurled at you.

The Mexican team is disgusting and their supporters are somehow worse than that.

Fuck Mexico.

Judas Iscariot
November 20th, 2013, 4:10 AM
Oh my god I hate Mexico.

Simon
November 20th, 2013, 5:24 AM
Mexico >>>>>>>>> USA

Grimario
November 20th, 2013, 5:34 AM
Mexico >>>>>>>>> USA

Mexico only scraped through to the PLAY OFF because the USA beat Panama in a meaningless game (for the USA) to end the qualifiers. If it wasn't for the USA, Panama would have played NZ instead...

And given that Mexico finished SIX points behind Costa Rica and Australia beat Costa Rica last night, I think we can safely say that Australia > Mexico.

:shifty:

wardy
November 20th, 2013, 6:55 AM
I've always loved the USA team. They're all typical American 110% give it there all playing for the badge types. Never seem to have any divers either. I might get the strip.

Red Dog
November 20th, 2013, 7:05 AM
Thanks for your contributions to this thread Judas. Your soccerball knowledge is excellent.

Judas Iscariot
November 20th, 2013, 3:35 PM
I'm glad you appreciate my biting commentary and extremely detailed analysis.

MikeHunt
November 20th, 2013, 3:54 PM
I've always loved the USA team. They're all typical American 110% give it there all playing for the badge types. Never seem to have any divers either. I might get the strip.

Ever since the days of Reyna I've had a bit of a soft spot for the yanks team. Captain america was stunning for us. I always wanted bedoya to get run of games as he always looked like he had potential to be brilliant

Red Dog
November 21st, 2013, 4:34 AM
Robbie Findlay was, and no doubt still is, dogshit.

Judas Iscariot
November 21st, 2013, 4:54 AM
But he runs really fast!

Also lol @ Croatia for being a bunch of demonstrative Nazi supporters. Again. If anyone has an issue with it, "That's their problem."

Grimario
November 21st, 2013, 4:59 AM
But he runs really fast!

Also lol @ Croatia for being a bunch of demonstrative Nazi supporters. Again. If anyone has an issue with it, "That's their problem."

One of their players is a born and raised Australian :( Stupid European countries poaching some of our best through ancestry :(

Judas Iscariot
November 21st, 2013, 5:29 AM
It's like when Rossi decided to play for Italy. Forever may he be cursed.

I assume it makes Aussies twitch when Aussie-born players go off to play for their "homeland" too?

Hey kurac, you're Australian. Odi u picku materinu. Ubit cu te, pa te mrtvog jebat.

Judas Iscariot
November 21st, 2013, 5:29 AM
Ajmo.

Judas Iscariot
November 21st, 2013, 5:46 AM
One of their players is a born and raised Australian :( Stupid European countries poaching some of our best through ancestry :(

Aye that's Simunic, has the most caps for them. He was the one sent off after getting THREE yellows and was running around flashing Nazi salutes and getting the crowd to get in on the Ustace Nazi chant.

What sort of prison colony are you running down there, Grim?

And what sort minority segment of any particular nation takes pride in being historically used by the Nazis to exterminate human beings?

My girl and her family, especially because her mother grew up as a Croat on the Serbian side of the border, absolutely despise it. But she's got cousins where I look at them and I'm like, "What the fuck?"

Fanny Batter
November 21st, 2013, 7:04 AM
Everybody think Spain have had their day? They've not looked at all convincing lately. I can't look past Brazil, on quality alone I'd probably have them behind Germany but you can't ignore those lunatics that support them. It will be a cauldron for opponents.

El Capitano Gatisto
November 21st, 2013, 7:12 AM
I don't know, Spain still have the strongest team and squad around. They maybe lack a truly great attacking player at the moment, with Villa on the wane and Torres a disaster, but they still have some very good forwards. It must be tough for them to keep winning and they have to go all around the world to play friendlies, it's bound to take its toll on the squad. I think when it comes to the challenge of retaining the World Cup and winning it outside of Europe, in Brazil especially, they'll be inspired by that.

Germany for me still have problems with their defence and are too open, Spain have the ability to kill a game off. Germany had a pretty easy group but their games against Sweden home and away showed the problems they have with how open their play is. They will give chances to the opposition. Brazil I think have problems in midfield and are probably going to rely on Neymar, the pressure on him will be intense. The pressure on the whole team might be unmanageable, especially with the recent civil unrest and general anger at the tournament organisation and how it fits in to the country's social/financial inequalities. If the team doesn't do well and win in style, it could get very ugly for them.

Argentina obviously have weaknesses in their team in defence too but attacking-wise, you can't argue with Messi, Aguero, Higuain, di Maria, Lavezzi and Lamela. There's no better attacking line-up around. Messi and Aguero especially can score against anyone.

Simon
November 21st, 2013, 7:20 AM
Totti is going to come out of retirement again and bang Italy to victory I reckon. And if he doesn't, he'll just keep playing until the next World Cup.

El Capitano Gatisto
November 21st, 2013, 7:24 AM
It would be glorious to see. I suppose you can never discount the Italians, they are winners as a footballing nation. If Rossi is fit it will be interesting to see him and Balotelli together, on paper it looks like a great partnership.

Darkoke
November 21st, 2013, 2:13 PM
No European team has ever won it when it's been held in South America - are we pretty much accepting that will change next year?

Simon
November 22nd, 2013, 5:20 AM
Not really, Argentina and Brazil are up there as possibilities for sure. You would assume it would be out of them, Spain and Germany.

El Capitano Gatisto
November 22nd, 2013, 5:36 AM
There's a couple of other interesting South American teams as well. Uruguay's partnership of Cavani and Suarez has two of the in-form players in Europe over the past couple of years and they complement each other well. Columbia too are getting a lot of hipster praise, particularly for having James Rodriguez and Falcao. Of course underdogs never actually win the World Cup but there's always the hope something weird will happen if a team does sneak its way to the semis.

RFF Champ
November 22nd, 2013, 7:05 AM
Chile must have a shout. Two top class players in key positions and excellent form under a new coach.

Simon
November 22nd, 2013, 7:08 AM
Everyone always touts these teams with a couple of class players but it never happens - it's all well and good talking about Sanchez, Suarez, Falcao etc, but that ignores the mediocre elements of the team. If someone said "Oh England have got a chance, look at Rooney and Gerrard" then we'd rightly laugh in their stupid, probably fat, faces.

I'd be stunned if anyone outside the four I mentioned won it, even Italy and Holland seem to have fundamental flaws that will prevent them from going beyond the semis at absolute best.

Grimario
November 22nd, 2013, 7:17 AM
Australia are going to win it.

El Capitano Gatisto
November 22nd, 2013, 7:24 AM
Talking about Cavani and Suarez or Falcao and Rodriguez is a little different to talking about Gerrard and Rooney I would argue, and that would be true even talking about Gerrard and Rooney 5 years ago. I don't think the rest of the teams could be called poor, either, the point is that decent teams with a couple of great players can win games at a tournament.

Grimario
November 22nd, 2013, 7:35 AM
Colombia also have Jackson Martinez who has scored a billion goals at Porto and Bacca going from a bucketload of goals at Club Brugge to scoring regularly in La Liga. That's some decent depth just up front that you wouldn't say England have either.

Simon
November 22nd, 2013, 7:37 AM
In previous tournaments I would have agreed with you - Brazil 2002 being a notable example, Greece in 2004 at the Euros as well. But the standard is so high at the top level now with Spain raising the bar that I don't think it's enough to have a couple of superstars any more. If you want to look at a team with a weird mix of superstars up front and fairly mediocre players further back in the team, Argentina are a far better bet than Uruguay, Chile or Colombia. I'd have a ridiculous team like France as more likely winners than any of those, simply because IF they managed to pull it together, the quality in the side is unreal. It's all or nothing with them really, abject failure in the groups or it all clicks and they smash their way into the semis or further.

Interesting also that after all the hype about Belgium being dark horses, they got filled in twice over the international break and now everyone has forgotten about them. Apparently Japan were fantastic against them (won 3-2), and they got a draw against Holland too. Should be a laugh watching them.

El Capitano Gatisto
November 22nd, 2013, 7:49 AM
Yeah Columbia have more than just those two players, it was just to illustrate the point. Jackson Martinez has looked brilliant in the CL for Porto, it seems unlikely he'll be there past this season. He is a bit like Falcao at Porto actually, waiting for someone to take a punt and stump up the transfer fee for him.

Any team with match-winners can win a knock-out game on a given day. The level of consistency Spain have shown is something new, but no team looks invincible. Pretty much every tournament I've seen in my lifetime has seen a fairly average or under-rated/under-appreciated team go far with a couple of great players (Argentina in 1990, Sweden and Bulgaria in 1994, Brazil and Italy were workman-like teams pulled along by Romario and Baggio in 1994, Czech Republic in 1996, Croatia in 1998, Germany in 2002, Greece in 2004 etc. etc.) and it's not a stretch to say a team could do it once they get to the semis. Uruguay got there last time, I think Suarez and Cavani are better players since then and the team has won a Copa America in the interim too. Argentina have these great attacking players but have enough vulnerability about them to be hurt by other teams. Same goes for Germany and Brazil. Players like Suarez and Cavani can exploit any vulnerability in a team because they are superb. The argument against it is that the same 4 teams (Brazil, Italy, Germany and Argentina) tend to win the World Cup but it's not to say it can't happen. The tournament only happens every 4 years so surprises are obviously going to be rare, but the chances are a strange winner will happen at some point and having fantastic attacking players can carry a team pretty far.

Simon
November 22nd, 2013, 7:54 AM
Well I hope you're right as I'd love to see a team win it from left-field, but I can't see it happening just yet. I just think that the standard of those four teams is way above anyone else. Maybe the fact that it's in South America will play into the likes of Uruguay and Colombia's hands, if the weather is too much for the Europeans and the pressure is too much for Brazil.

Grimario
November 22nd, 2013, 7:56 AM
Apparently Japan were fantastic against them (won 3-2), and they got a draw against Holland too. Should be a laugh watching them.

Japan are part of the WC furniture now. Head and shoulders above every other team in Asia with some brilliant players. Can't wait to see Honda step up a level at AC Milan come the new year.

Ringo
November 22nd, 2013, 5:41 PM
Love Japan. They were actually pretty impressive at the last world cup and given they had quite a few young players people were already talking them up to do well this time around.

And it does seem that Colombia are legitimately dangerous now. Lots of very good players at high profile clubs in their prime. They're a settled side that play exciting football. Every reason for them to be the trendy "dark horse" pick.

Simon
December 6th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Don't know if any of you cunts are aware but the World Cup draw starts in about twenty minutes. I would post the pots but tbh I don't fully understand them so I'll just put the fucking draw up as it happens.

Group A
Brazil
Cameroon
Mexico
Croatia

Group B
Spain
Chile
Australia
Holland

Group C
Colombia
Ivory Coast
Japan
Greece

Group D
Uruguay
Italy
Costa Rica
England

Group E
Switzerland
Ecuador
Honduras
France

Group F
Argentina
Nigeria
Iran
Bosnia

Group G
Germany
Ghana
USA
Portugal

Group H
Belgium
Algeria
Good Korea
Russia

Bad Collin
December 6th, 2013, 12:20 PM
What was wrong with the other thread you sliderule?

Simon
December 6th, 2013, 12:22 PM
That was for the uh...build-up :shifty: forgot about it tbh but I think the draw deserves it's own thread anyway you POTTY-fixing shitebag!

Bad Collin
December 6th, 2013, 12:24 PM
The draw starts soon lads.

Simon
December 6th, 2013, 12:26 PM
SUCK YOUR MUM

Beefy
What time does it actually start? Seems like a lot of build up!

Brazil, Algeria, Iran and England in Group H please.

Simon
14 minutes lads.

Simon
December 6th, 2013, 1:17 PM
Ahahaha group stage exit nailed on.

Beefy
December 6th, 2013, 1:20 PM
Ouch.

Ringo
December 6th, 2013, 1:21 PM
Ahaha. Absolutely brilliant. Manaus too. Will be great fun.

El Capitano Gatisto
December 6th, 2013, 1:22 PM
That's a rough draw for England, they'll be doing well to get out of that group. Italy can start slowly, but they'll fancy themselves to win after Euro 2012, and Uruguay will be a nightmare for England with Suarez and Cavani up front.

France are such jammy cunts. Their group is a poor state of affairs. Belgium got a favourable draw too.

Group of death is definitely: Germany, USA, Ghana and Portugal. Germany should top it, but second place is wide open, depending on how Ronaldo plays.

Spain, Chile, Holland, Australia is another interesting group (Australia are going to get shat on).

Slare
December 6th, 2013, 1:22 PM
England will probably have to settle for a Europa league place.

Bad Collin
December 6th, 2013, 1:23 PM
We are not getting out of that group but it will be a fun set of matches at least.

Ringo
December 6th, 2013, 1:25 PM
I'm sure France will still find a way to spectacularly crash out.

Love Group B. Three potentially super matches there (Spain/Chile in Maracana too).

MTR
December 6th, 2013, 1:28 PM
Ouch tough draw for the US. Have to beat Ghana in the opener and have to do something against one of the other two to even have a chance to get out of that group.

Beefy
December 6th, 2013, 1:48 PM
I can already see England getting screwed. Draw with Italy and potentially Italy and Uruguay could manufacture a draw to knock us out.

Bloody foreigners.

Jaymz
December 6th, 2013, 3:41 PM
Can we start the sweepstake for who gets blamed by the media for England's exit?

El Capitano Gatisto
December 6th, 2013, 3:56 PM
Suarez is nailed on to do something cheaty and awful.

turdpower
December 6th, 2013, 3:58 PM
a) Manager
b) Guy who misses the penalty
c) The bloke who got sent off
d) Ref
e) Foreigner(s)

JP
December 6th, 2013, 4:02 PM
Suarez is nailed on to do something cheaty and awful.

Break Gerrard's leg in training during the last week of the season.

Simon
December 6th, 2013, 4:17 PM
Suarez is gonna do something nuts before the end of the seaskn, get hounded out of the country before the World Cup and shove it right up us when we play them. Nailed on.

Mik
December 6th, 2013, 5:04 PM
Meh. We generally get a decent draw and struggle, so why not get a good draw for a change, who cares?

MikeHunt
December 6th, 2013, 5:13 PM
Ha!

Bad Collin
December 6th, 2013, 5:23 PM
Who did Scotland get?

MikeHunt
December 6th, 2013, 5:26 PM
Don't care. I'm going to have a chuckle next summer

Grimario
December 6th, 2013, 7:07 PM
Bring on 2018.

Prototype16
December 6th, 2013, 7:41 PM
It's tough for England but not impossible. We could sneak a 0-0 against Italy - a dull game in hard conditions but we'll all be too drunk to care about that - and then four points from the last two games would do it. If we go through you wouldn't fear anyone from group C.

Then there are two other really strong groups - Spain's and Germany's - which should make for a great start to the tournament

Cracking draw- really looking forward to the summer

Simmo Fortyone
December 9th, 2013, 6:23 PM
If Australia score a goal I'll piss on my own face

turdpower
December 9th, 2013, 6:41 PM
If Australia score a goal I'll piss on my own face

QUOTED.

Grimario
December 18th, 2013, 6:50 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/interactive/2013/dec/18/world-cup-2014-draw-strength-of-schedule?CMP=twt_gu

Analysis on WC group strength. Australia with the toughest, apparently, wooo.

turdpower
December 18th, 2013, 7:21 PM
They'll still nick a goal for a bit of pissy face action.

turdpower
December 18th, 2013, 7:22 PM
I'm also glad they put a picture of Neymar on the graph. Necessary.

Chris Scott
January 31st, 2014, 7:51 PM
Was looking at Sturridge Scoring & assisting record this season and seen it's similar rate to Sergio Aguero this season.

Sturridge 13(2) games, 13 goals, 3 assists
Aguero 15(1) games, 15 goals, 5 assists

That's pretty incredible when you think about it. Those statistics just can't be ignored. Its surprising how he is going under the radar to some extent. Its a world cup year and he is English, I thought the media would be all over him.

Surely him upfront with Rooney behind him.

Beefy
March 31st, 2014, 8:34 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/31/england-world-cup-brazil-kit-2014

New England kit has been unveiled after FIFA asked that teams play in one colour kits for some wanky reason. It's another story to get the tournament back on the radar though.

I was putting together my squad of 23 and couldn't come up with a single decent choice for even third centre-half in the squad let alone fourth. It's not like the first two are much good either. Other than that though I'm quite liking the look of England at the minute.

Think I'd go:

Hart
Foster
Forster

Johnson
Jones
Baines
Cole
Jagielka
Cahill
Caulker

Gerrard
Carrick
Wilshere
Henderson
Lallana
Stirling
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Barkley

Rooney
Sturridge
Welbeck
Rodriguez
Lambert

Could be persuaded to squeeze Milner and Carroll in there for Barkey and Lambert.

MikeHunt
March 31st, 2014, 8:47 AM
I would take Milner ahead of every midfielder you've mentioned.

Simon
March 31st, 2014, 8:56 AM
Goalkeepers
Hart, Forster, Foster

Defenders
Cole, Shaw, Cahill, Jagielka, Caulker, Jones, Johnson

Midfielders
Gerrard, Carrick, Henderson, Wilshere, Milner, Lallana, Sterling, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley

Forwards
Sturridge, Rooney, Welbeck, Carroll

Nothing particularly controversial in my list other than Baines not making it. Just never been in the least bit convinced by him at international level for whatever reason, Shaw looked more at home in 45 minutes against Denmark than Baines ever has. Carroll ahead of Lambert as his size offers something that even the best defenders will struggle with, and I think Barkley and Sterling are essentials now, not necessarily as starters (Sterling should IMO but I would understand the logic of using him as an impact sub) but they have that added bit of class that you're just not going to get from Townsend, Rodriguez, Adam Johnson if he's still in the reckoning.

First eleven is more difficult to call. The spine of the team is pretty much set in stone, but picking two from Lallana/Welbeck/Sterling on the wings is difficult as they all have different but worthy reasons for being picked. For me left back simply depends on who we're playing - Shaw against inferior sides (so basically Costa Rica :(), Cole when we're more likely to be on the back foot. Right back is difficult - Neither Johnson nor Walker particularly convince, Jones is obviously going as a back-up for a couple of positions, I think Flanagan is class but this tournament is too early for him, he looks like he has a red card in him through over-committing himself...a couple of times yesterday he made excellent, strong tackles but a split-second mistiming would have been an instant red. Johnson probably gets it on experience.

Hart

Johnson - Cahill - Jagielka - Cole

Carrick - Gerrard

Lallana - Rooney - Welbeck

Sturridge

I disagree with you Biffo on third choice centre back - I think Caulker is class, and is doing more than anyone to help keep Cardiff up, not only defending superbly but captaining the side and popping up with regular goals. It's a shame he's only got one cap so far as I think once he's established he will easily be good enough to be a regular in the squad if not the first eleven...but God help us if Jones gets any playing time at centre back. I agree that we suddenly have reasonable strength in depth for the first time in a while, with young players like Sterling, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley and Shaw likely to be on the bench but more than ready to make an impact if needed. Just a shame that after twenty years of lacking almost everywhere but, it's now our defence that looks ropey. Cahill/Jagielka is fine but it's hardly Ferdinand/Terry/Campbell/King/Carragher. There doesn't seem to be much on the horizon either - Caulker will go on to be class (we're already linked with getting him back, which we absolutely should do if possible) but beyond that very little. I believe Lascelles at Forest is very highly rated and expected to go right to the top, but beyond that ther'es nothing really is there? Wisdom at Derby? :dunno:

son_of_foley
March 31st, 2014, 9:11 AM
Honest to god I don't think Caulker is anything special at all. Don't think he's smart enough to play regular international football either.

Think Liam Moore at Leicester looks a good shout for the future.

Harry Maguire might do alright too.

John Stones although not a CB could be an important player down the line.

son_of_foley
March 31st, 2014, 9:12 AM
If Roy takes Townsend as well fucking hell that would be some move as he looks like a nothing player. Prepared to be proven wrong on that in the summer

Beefy
March 31st, 2014, 9:14 AM
I'd have no issue with having Milner in the squad. I like him. But I think we have enough players of enough quality whereby we don't need him. He's barely playing nowadays.

Townsend did do well in those last couple of games in Qualifying but, again, there's enough players playing better and playing more in the Premier League every week that I don't see how he can take a space in the squad.

Torn
March 31st, 2014, 9:34 AM

Based on what? He's an immobile lump.

Beefy
March 31st, 2014, 9:39 AM
Back to kits, looks like if FIFA did ask for teams to play in one colour then we're about the only side doing it.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/kits/185925/pies-bumper-guide-to-each-and-every-kit-being-worn-at-brazil-2014-world-cup-photos.html

son_of_foley
March 31st, 2014, 10:06 AM
Based on what? He's an immobile lump.

I've been impressed with his positioning and ability under a high ball. That said I know it's league one but thought he did well in the FA Cup against higher league opposition. I don't think he's better than Caulker for example but think he's someone who may get a move sooner than later.

Simon
March 31st, 2014, 10:17 AM
So many tasty kits for the World Cup in that list. Argentina, Holland and Brazil always come up with the goods. Brazil and Argentina's away kits and Germany's home kit are the balls as well. Ours doesn't look bad at all, it's just boring to have the same kit every year. I'd be alright with having similar home kits if we tried something different with the away kit every now and then.

Andy
March 31st, 2014, 11:37 AM
Milner will definitely go, I'd expect him to start the two difficult group games too.

Baines seems a certainty too and I'd expect Cole to edge out Shaw given the relative youth likely to go on the wings and up front.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Townsend go no matter how shit he is.

Wilshere might not be fit, in fact I'd say he's a serious doubt considering his record and our pathetic record of predicting when he'll be back. Gerrard and Carrick would be torn apart, need a bit of pace and drive in the deep midfield role. Not sure Ox is ready for it but he might be a shout.

I don't see England winning a game in all honesty.

Simon
March 31st, 2014, 11:41 AM
Townsend isn't outright shit, he's just incredibly predictable. He's still probably enough of an unknown quantity (despite being three years older he's played half as many top flight games as Sterling) that his direct running would put the shits up a few defences...but he's easily the weakest of the realistic options we have on the wings, so hopefully he won't go.

Andy
March 31st, 2014, 11:42 AM
Forgot about Henderson, he's been class. Fuck it, just try and recreate the Liverpool team. Gerrard and Henderson deep, Sturridge, Rooney and Sterling switching positions all the time and Lallana vaguely hugging a wing or playing off the front. That might be exciting though, no chance we see that from Roy.

Simon
March 31st, 2014, 11:51 AM
I think we might just surprise a few people if Hodgson shows a bit of bottle and takes the handbrake off. Not 100% convinced that Lallana will transfer his Premier League class to the international stage, but I honestly think Sterling and Sturridge could massively enhance their reputations this summer. Sterling is improving so quickly it's insane, in the space of a few months he's changed from a direct winger without much in the way of intelligence or diligence into a really hard working, clever player who is happy moving centrally and playing between the lines. He's lightning quick (not far off Walcott I would say?) and stronger than he looks. I didn't pay much attention to the hype when he first came onto the scene, a bit jaded by the talk of previous wonderkids who never made anything of themselves...but Sterling looks the real deal to me.

Sadly in all likelihood we'll play with Sturridge on the right doing fuck all and Sterling sitting on the bench if he goes at all. But if Hodgson shows a bit of sack I think contrary to every previous tournament over the past 16 years, our best bet would be to play attacking football - the defence isn't up to scratch and we have some genuine quality in various areas in attack, so why not have a fucking go?

turdpower
March 31st, 2014, 11:58 AM
I think that might be the first "third" international kit I've seen. Well done Brazil on making a bit more cash.

Gary J
March 31st, 2014, 12:59 PM
Wilshere might not be fit, in fact I'd say he's a serious doubt considering his record and our pathetic record of predicting when he'll be back. Gerrard and Carrick would be torn apart, need a bit of pace and drive in the deep midfield role. Not sure Ox is ready for it but he might be a shout.

Even if Wilshere is fit in time he shouldn't go based on his performances this season. Sadly just like Lampard he's probably guaranteed a spot.

MMH
March 31st, 2014, 2:28 PM
Honest to god I don't think Caulker is anything special at all. Don't think he's smart enough to play regular international football either.

Think Liam Moore at Leicester looks a good shout for the future.

John Stones although not a CB could be an important player down the line.

John Stones is a CB....

Id have him on the plane for Brazil if they are looking at some younger lads. Hes going to be brilliant in a few years.

Bad Collin
March 31st, 2014, 2:52 PM
Henderson is no good deep, he needs to be further up the pitch defending from the front and generally being awesome:

Hart

Gerrard - Carrick

Henderson - Rooney - Sterling

Sturridge

son_of_foley
March 31st, 2014, 3:08 PM
John Stones is a CB....

Id have him on the plane for Brazil if they are looking at some younger lads. Hes going to be brilliant in a few years.

Right back at Barnsley wasn't he? When he was signed there was chat about looking at John Brayford and someone else at same time.

I assumed he was Coleman's heir apparent if you cashed in

son_of_foley
March 31st, 2014, 3:13 PM
Thought he was only in cb due to injuries very interesting. He's a big boy too

Grimario
March 31st, 2014, 4:50 PM
Apologies to England if Ben Williams officiates your game. Absolutely diabolical full time SCHOOL TEACHER part time official that has been given the nod to officiate at the WC.

MMH
March 31st, 2014, 6:25 PM
Right back at Barnsley wasn't he? When he was signed there was chat about looking at John Brayford and someone else at same time.

I assumed he was Coleman's heir apparent if you cashed in

He has played at RB yeah. Played there for us and although decent enough he doesnt suit what our full backs are there for. He looks like a CB playing well at RB is that makes sense? His future is deffo as a CB.

Tyias Browning is our young RB back up, made the bench the past few weeks. We wouldnt give up Coleman without a fight im sure. Vital to how we play and seems to sign a long term contract every other week.

Awaits Moyes 3M bid.

Judas Iscariot
April 3rd, 2014, 2:51 AM
The US home is a golf shirt and the away is an abomination. The Centennial was even better and it makes the prom queen sash look awesome.

I don't think you were talking about tops but fuck.

Beefy
April 7th, 2014, 1:40 PM
Massive shame for Jay Rodriguez that he'll be out for six months. He's playing so well at the moment and seems like a nice lad too. Means I can squeeze Jimmy Milner into my squad now though.
Hart
Foster
Forster

Johnson
Jones
Baines
Cole
Jagielka
Cahill
Caulker

Gerrard
Carrick
Wilshere
Henderson
Lallana
Stirling
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Barkley
Milner

Rooney
Sturridge
Welbeck
Lambert

The Rosk
April 7th, 2014, 1:54 PM
Squeeze him in? He's fucking starting and if not I'm gonna cut someone.

Chris Scott
April 7th, 2014, 2:41 PM
Gutted for Jay, he was likely going to make the squad. Means probably Welback is going now for fucks sake.

Gary J
April 7th, 2014, 3:16 PM
Welbeck will have always been part of the squad. Deservedly so since he has been our most prolific striker for a while. If Rodriguez had gone it would have only been as back up to him.

Chris Scott
April 7th, 2014, 3:44 PM
I wouldn't have took him over Rodriguez. Welback has been less than average this season in the few games he's played. I have no problem in knowing Sturridge and Rodriguez can make it at the WC.

Gary J
April 8th, 2014, 7:36 AM
Bit harsh on Welbeck saying he's been less then average this season considering he's barely played and when he has I've thought he's played pretty well. I would say the only time I say Man Utd look a good team this season was the game against West Brom a few weeks back when he came on for Van Persie. I think he did quiet well against Bayern last week too. He's also only started 12 league games this season and he's scored 9 which isn't a bad return.

He gets a lot of stick at times and rightly so that miss against Bayern Munich comes to mind straight away but I wouldn't say he had been less then average.

There was no chance at all Rodriguez would have gone ahead of him. Welbeck has been our best forward since Roy took over.

Simon
April 8th, 2014, 7:38 AM
Welbeck's frustrating but weighing up the good and the bad he's still a very decent player.

Beefy
April 8th, 2014, 8:20 AM
Welbeck was going either way - deservedly so on the back of his England performances IMO. I'd have taken Rodriguez as well but that's besides the point at this stage thanks to his injury.

Grimario
April 8th, 2014, 8:23 AM
Anyone seen any of the Doncaster games since Lucas Neill signed for them? Three months ago it looked like he would be clubless heading towards the world cup yet people were expecting him to still Captain the side.

Pablo Diablo
April 25th, 2014, 7:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XviR7esUvo

World Cup hype begins.

TraXX
April 26th, 2014, 2:04 AM
I'd love to see England adopt the diamond midfield that Liverpool currently use.

Hart

Johnson - Jagielka - Cahill - Baines

Gerrard
Oxlade-Chaimberlin -------- Henderson
Lallana

Rooney - Sturridge

Subs: Foster, Jones, Barry, Wilshere, Barkley, Sterling, Welbeck

It is only my opinion, and I'm sure there will be some glaring misses and snubs, but I genuinely believe that that could be our best team. What do you guys think?

Beefy
April 26th, 2014, 8:56 AM
I'd have Cole, Sterling and Wilshere in for Baines, Lallana and Ox. I think we'll play a front three. And Cole is still far better than Baines for me.

Gary J
April 26th, 2014, 9:25 AM
Cole is better then Baines on his day but he has too few of those days now. Maybe a little harsh since he has barely played this season but I think Baines has been consistently better then him for the past few seasons now and deserves to be ahead of Cole.

Wilshere shouldn't even be in the squad for Brazil as he's been very poor this season. Sadly if he is fit like fat Frank he'll go.

Beefy
April 26th, 2014, 9:32 AM
It isn't about who "deserves" to play, it is who is the best player. Ashley Cole is a better defender.

I doubt Lampard will go.

Gary J
April 26th, 2014, 9:40 AM
As I said Cole is better on his day but when he was playing regularly last season he was having less of these days. I think Kieran Gibbs is more likely to be Roy's choice to take the left back spot then Baines to be honest.

MikeHunt
April 26th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Surely you want to start with the Liverpool midfield and attack.

turdpower
April 26th, 2014, 11:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XviR7esUvo

World Cup hype begins.

That is great.

Simon
April 26th, 2014, 11:55 AM
I'd have Cole, Sterling and Wilshere in for Baines, Lallana and Ox. I think we'll play a front three. And Cole is still far better than Baines for me.

For England definitely. Don't know whether it's a technical issue or a mental problem but Baines looks so, so much better for Everton than he does for England. Shaw looked better in 45 minutes against whoever the fuck we played the other week (Denmark?) than I can ever remember Baines looking.

We have some really decent options in midfield and attack now. I'm quite excited for when Hodgson leaves and we might have a manager willing to exploit their abilities with more expansive football.

wardy
April 26th, 2014, 11:56 AM
That advert got me right up for ZLATAN at the world cup.

Andy
April 26th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Zlatan won't be there. He's too good for the world cup.

wardy
April 26th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Nah mate he was in the video. He'll be there.

Simon
April 30th, 2014, 6:23 AM
Squad to be confirmed on May 12th.

Grimario
April 30th, 2014, 11:22 PM
http://m.fifa.com/worldcup/games/be-there-with-hyundai/vote-slogan/index.html

VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE SLOGAN!!!

Fuck me, who came up with these and how did they get to be finalists?

Australia:
- WE GOT THIS MATES
- SOCCEROOS: HOPPING OUR WAY INTO HISTORY
- WHAT A RIDE TO THE GAMES

:wtf::wtf:

Ringo
May 1st, 2014, 4:43 AM
:lol: Those are great.

Big fan of these too:

تحيا الجزائر 3،2،1
ONE TWO THREE VIVA ALGERIA

サムライよ!! 戦いの時はきた!!
SAMURAI, THE TIME HAS COME TO FIGHT !

WIR SIND SCHWEIZER - DAS IST UNSERE STUNDE - 20:14, PRÄZIS
WE ARE SWISS, THIS IS OUR TIME, 20:14 PRECISELY

MikeHunt
May 1st, 2014, 5:09 AM
Townsend out. Was he seriously still being considered to be in the squad?

Beefy
May 1st, 2014, 5:10 AM
Possibly in Roy Hodgson's head.

MikeHunt
May 1st, 2014, 5:13 AM
Insanity. He's absolutely shit. I'd rather take a one legged Walcott than Townsend.

BBF
May 1st, 2014, 5:19 AM
Yeah, never want to see a player injured but quite relieved he won't be on the plane.

Simon
May 1st, 2014, 5:34 AM
I think Townsend was nailed on to go prior to the injury. He's been pretty rubbish for us this season but came in and did well for England at the end of last year, it's understandable that Hodgson would go with someone who has actually performed for him. He was lucky in that he came in at a time when we were really lacking a direct player in Walcott's absence, but Sterling and the Ox offer that plus genuine quality.

JP
May 1st, 2014, 5:39 AM
Some players turn it on for England, Townsend looked like he might have been one of them. Shame for the lad as this was probably his only opportunity to play in a big tournament.

Hlebsfall
May 1st, 2014, 6:10 AM
He's an absolute bollocks one trick pony. He'll be a Championship player soon enough. Probably with 'Arry as he'll give him 40 grand a week.

Andy
May 1st, 2014, 6:24 AM
I still don't see England winning a game in Brazil.

Simon
May 1st, 2014, 6:27 AM
Why would we not beat Costa Rica?

Andy
May 1st, 2014, 6:28 AM
Because we're pretty shit.

MikeHunt
May 1st, 2014, 6:29 AM
Definitely supporting England, Simon and Andy?

Simon
May 1st, 2014, 6:30 AM
The country I was born in and have lived in for my entire life? Yes mate.

Andy
May 1st, 2014, 6:31 AM
Yes mate Scotland aren't there.

Simon
May 1st, 2014, 6:34 AM
Who are you supporting MikeHunt?

MikeHunt
May 1st, 2014, 6:37 AM
The country I was born in and have lived in for my entire life? Yes mate.

Thought you might be throwing your weight behind Nigeria with Ireland not being there.

Yes mate Scotland aren't there.

Scotland before England. That's an interesting and new developing for you Andy. Next it will be rangers before arsenal.

MikeHunt
May 1st, 2014, 6:39 AM
Who are you supporting MikeHunt?

Anyone playing England. The usual. Sadly Ireland aren't there as that narrows down my teams to support in the group stage to three instead of six. Disappointing.

Beefy
May 1st, 2014, 6:39 AM
Because we're pretty shit.

You're pretty shit.

Does anyone actually know anything about Costa Rica? I assume Paolo Wanchope is playing for them.

Simon
May 1st, 2014, 6:41 AM
Thought you might be throwing your weight behind Nigeria with Ireland not being there.

fffffff I'm not African black I'm Jammo black, wagwan with that.

MikeHunt
May 1st, 2014, 6:46 AM
http://youtu.be/-j6FsINI7OM

Grimario
May 1st, 2014, 6:47 AM
You're pretty shit.

Does anyone actually know anything about Costa Rica? I assume Paolo Wanchope is playing for them.

They have two players playing here in Australia.

And even we beat them in a friendly.

MikeHunt
May 1st, 2014, 6:52 AM
You're pretty shit.

Wanchope is their assistant

Beefy
May 1st, 2014, 7:00 AM
Maybe they are shit then. Everyone seems to be assuming they will be without actually knowing anything about them.

Still think we'll draw one and lose one of the first two then get screwed over in the last game by a convenient draw between Uruguay and Italy. Wouldn't surprise me if we snuck through though. Italy must be due a Major Tournament implosion at this stage.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 1st, 2014, 7:07 AM
Seems like a lot of England's hopes depend on how Liverpool finish the season. If they lose the title, I could see Sturridge, Johnson, Sterling, Henderson and Gerrard all being completely punctured. If they win, that lot could be on fire. There's other options to all of them but it would be good to be able to just slot the Liverpool players into that team and get some of the form they've been showing recently. Not that Hodgson would be caught playing a game as fluid as Rodgers has them playing, but bringing a club side understanding to an international side does work for a lot of big teams.

Romford Pele
May 1st, 2014, 7:11 AM
We will do well to get out of the group.

Gary J
May 1st, 2014, 7:11 AM
You're pretty shit.

Oviedo and Joel Campbell play for them and that's my knowledge of them.

Ringo
May 1st, 2014, 12:41 PM
Bryan Ruiz!

RFF Champ
May 1st, 2014, 1:09 PM
Seems like a lot of England's hopes depend on how Liverpool finish the season. If they lose the title, I could see Sturridge, Johnson, Sterling, Henderson and Gerrard all being completely punctured. If they win, that lot could be on fire. There's other options to all of them but it would be good to be able to just slot the Liverpool players into that team and get some of the form they've been showing recently. Not that Hodgson would be caught playing a game as fluid as Rodgers has them playing, but bringing a club side understanding to an international side does work for a lot of big teams.

I see it the other way. For a start it's the World Cup and players will motivate themselves but also with Gerrard he's been amazing for England since he was made captain and he may want to use the World Cup as a springboard for league failure. Also we have Dr Steve Peters going with us who will focus minds.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 1st, 2014, 1:13 PM
Dr. Steve Peters probably has as much potential to piss people off as motivate them. Some people are "psychology-minded" while others are the opposite and get no benefit or, worse still, react badly to that sort of bollocks. It's a risk taking a psychologist along for a tournament and expecting professional footballers all to listen and find some benefit from it.

The streak of wins Liverpool put together to get close to the title has been an unbelievable effort, I think it'll be very difficult for them to keep going this summer if they don't have the boost of a title win vs. the depression of blowing it when it looked like they had in their hands.

RFF Champ
May 1st, 2014, 1:45 PM
These Liverpool players you mentioned are obviously suited to his methods. Suarez and Gerrard have praised him and given him credit for helping them produce their recent form. Ronnie O'Sullivan said he wouldn't have won his last two World Championships without him. The players are going to give him a chance.

The effort exerted into that winning streak is the same whether they win the league or not. The 2 outcomes both present unique challenges for the mindset of our best attackers whether it's failure or the feeling of having completed their goals but it's the World Cup and their fitness will be managed and it's the World Cup, they'll be up for it.

Prototype16
May 1st, 2014, 1:46 PM
Still think we'll draw one and lose one of the first two then get screwed over in the last game by a convenient draw between Uruguay and Italy. Wouldn't surprise me if we snuck through though. Italy must be due a Major Tournament implosion at this stage.

Italy did a pretty good job of imploding at the last world cup

I think we've got a good chance of going through - the opener against Italy has 0-0 written all over it, particularly given the conditions it's going to be played in. We should be able to do something against Uruguay, they made a bit of a mess of qualifying and aside from Suarez and Cavani it sounds like a lot of their players are past their best. It's going to be a tight group but whatever happens it should be more fun than four years ago

Andy
May 1st, 2014, 1:51 PM
Aside from Cavani and Suarez...in other words aside from the two blokes who have more talent than every eligible player in the Premier League put together.

JP
May 1st, 2014, 3:00 PM
Dr. Steve Peters probably has as much potential to piss people off as motivate them. Some people are "psychology-minded" while others are the opposite and get no benefit or, worse still, react badly to that sort of bollocks. It's a risk taking a psychologist along for a tournament and expecting professional footballers all to listen and find some benefit from it.

I'd hope, and expect actually, that his role would be more individualistic rather than group based. If it is and players can decide to speak to him or not then I think it's quite a savvy move. If not... :\

El Capitano Gatisto
May 1st, 2014, 3:02 PM
These Liverpool players you mentioned are obviously suited to his methods. Suarez and Gerrard have praised him and given him credit for helping them produce their recent form. Ronnie O'Sullivan said he wouldn't have won his last two World Championships without him. The players are going to give him a chance.

The effort exerted into that winning streak is the same whether they win the league or not. The 2 outcomes both present unique challenges for the mindset of our best attackers whether it's failure or the feeling of having completed their goals but it's the World Cup and their fitness will be managed and it's the World Cup, they'll be up for it.

Well actually we don't know at all whether they are suited to his methods, since you can't really separate how much of it is due to the psychologist and how much is due to having good players with a good coach with the psychology on top. Ronnie O'Sullivan is the most talented snooker player in the world, perhaps ever, but clearly has psychological issues. If some psychiatrist has managed to find the trick to getting his mind straight, that's good, but people who go looking for that sort of help are likely already minded to accepting it. Further, I'd put Suarez and Gerrard doing well this season down to being great players with a lot of talent being used well by an innovative coach, rather than any magical effect of psychology. I would also say it is different having that as part of a club set-up as opposed to parachuting a guy in to a World Cup squad situation. Maybe he will do some good, but we know at least from scientific studies that "talking therapies" aren't all that effective in population terms. All great managers or bosses in any profession will be amateur psychologists anyway and will know how to identify people they can work with then motivate those people effectively. The danger with the psychology theory stuff is that it can switch people off or annoy them, as it has always done with me any time I've had to sit through a load of bullshit.

History is littered with players not getting themselves up for the World Cup so it's a bold assumption to make that the competition itself will be enough to overcome the disappoint of squandering the chance of a title that may never come again for those players. The actual effort in winning all those games may be the same but the perceived effort won't be when they reflect on it, which is what is important in regards to human nature.

RFF Champ
May 1st, 2014, 3:49 PM
Your own experience is distracting you from the fact that these players are quoted praising this guy for straightening their mind set's to be the great players we agree they are.

“If I could have afford to have Steve 24/7 – then I would. But if Liverpool can have him there for four or five years then they’ll win the Premier League.' - Ronnie a year ago.

How right he was. On the count that Liverpool made huge strides since his arrival. Also on the fact that they lost their most important game of the season while the mind doc was away. This guy is proven as the best by 3 of the best sportsmen and women in the World as making a huge difference. Mentality must be the biggest thing to block talent from its full potential, it's a great addition by England and will go a long way to negate the discussed after effects of the league.

RFF Champ
May 1st, 2014, 3:54 PM
I'd hope, and expect actually, that his role would be more individualistic rather than group based. If it is and players can decide to speak to him or not then I think it's quite a savvy move. If not... :\

Players are invited to sessions individually. When your captain is speaking in these terms about him, you might as well give it a shot.

“I had a career-threatening injury called a groin avulsion where the muscle comes off the bone,” Gerrard said.

“I’d seen three or four surgeons and they weren’t really convincing me that I could play again so I turned to him.

“He helps you with positivity, the power of thought, and staying upbeat, that sort of stuff.

“It was a very important stage in my career.

“I read his book and now I basically understand the different parts of the brain.

“He does simplify things and I am a lot more patient as a person now and I think I’ve improved as a person. He’s also helped me with the game as well.”

RFF Champ
May 1st, 2014, 4:00 PM
Henderson:

“I’ve been speaking to Steve for exactly a year now and have felt massive benefits from it,” said Henderson.

Sturridge:

“Steve has helped a lot in terms of mindset,” Sturridge said.

“He’s all about self-belief: don’t go out there with the mentality of trying to do something, just let it happen.

Sterling:

"The way he [Peters] works is brilliant,"

"At first I thought it wasn't for me. On the outside you might think it's complicated, but all the messages are very straightforward. It was really important."

RFF Champ
May 1st, 2014, 4:00 PM
We're going to win the World Cup thanks to Dr Steven Peters.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 1st, 2014, 4:05 PM
Your own experience is distracting you from the fact that these players are quoted praising this guy for straightening their mind set's to be the great players we agree they are.

“If I could have afford to have Steve 24/7 – then I would. But if Liverpool can have him there for four or five years then they’ll win the Premier League.' - Ronnie a year ago.

How right he was. On the count that Liverpool made huge strides since his arrival. Also on the fact that they lost their most important game of the season while the mind doc was away. This guy is proven as the best by 3 of the best sportsmen and women in the World as making a huge difference. Mentality must be the biggest thing to block talent from its full potential, it's a great addition by England and will go a long way to negate the discussed after effects of the league.

Actually it's not just my experience, since I have expressed quite clearly that talking therapies on a wide basis aren't that effective. I'm never said he couldn't help people, what I said is that psychologists have the potential to annoy people as well as motivate them. In some people, at best, they will have no effect, in others it can be actively detrimental listening to people trying to take you through thinking exercises and listen to stuff about "self-actualisation" and all that malarkey.

Your last paragraph is a bit stupid to be honest. I'm struggling to describe it in more polite terms. The ability of the sportsmen is besides the point and doesn't make their opinion any more valid, besides that all of them have performed to extreme heights before this psychologist came along. Furthermore, the mistake Ronnie makes is the same one you are making: that if it works for him it will work for anyone, which we know from actual empirical evidence in other fields that psychological techniques simply do not work on everyone.

RFF Champ
May 1st, 2014, 4:14 PM
You said England are fucked if Liverpool lose the title. These players have all shown relaxed attitudes to these things and the best possible mindset since working with the doc, so who are these people you're saying he will annoy? Your experience and your studies aren't relevant because we know these are 'psychology minded' people. Steven Gerrard thought his career was over altogether before working with this guy. If he can overcome that then they can motivate them for a World Cup after narrowly missing a league title.

RFF Champ
May 1st, 2014, 4:19 PM
I'm not denying what you're saying, I'm sure there will be players that won't respond to his methods and will avoid them. Just in the initial discussion about the Liverpool players being punctured or not knowing how much influence Peters has, it's clear he has an awful lot and that should address the concerns you raised about those players potentially under performing because of the outcome of the league.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 1st, 2014, 4:20 PM
You said England are fucked if Liverpool lose the title. These players have all shown relaxed attitudes to these things and the best possible mindset since working with the doc, so who are these people you're saying he will annoy? Your experience and your studies aren't relevant because we know these are 'psychology minded' people. Steven Gerrard thought his career was over altogether before working with this guy. If he can overcome that then they can motivate them for a World Cup after narrowly missing a league title.

I didn't say that. Have you developed reading problems? I said I thought those players could be dealt a blow if they lose the title, I also said there are alternative options to all of them for England but it would be nicer to be able to slot those guys in who would be on a high, rather than a devastating low, if they win the title rather than blow it.

The people he may annoy would be the rest of the England squad who don't work with him on a day-to-day basis, since the Liverpool contingent are only a minority of the guys actually there. Further, when players are winning games their attitudes may be different to when they are losing them. Dr. Steve Peters has nothing to do with the football Liverpool are playing or the style Rodgers has implemented, nor can he make them more talented. Luis Suarez has been scoring mountains of goals throughout his career. What we can say for sure is that winning players are happy with how things are going and that they currently have a high opinion of this bloke. It's no more down to him that they are playing well than it will be when their form takes a dip and they start to lose.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 1st, 2014, 4:27 PM
Also, attributing his absence to losing a game at Chelsea was a bit silly. If his techniques work then he doesn't need to be around for them to work. He's supposed to alter thought patterns and emotional responses that you can use in pressure situations, not exude a magical aura of winning from his very being.

Gary J
May 1st, 2014, 4:27 PM
Also in one of the quotes Sterling admits he didn't think it would be for him at first. Doesn't say how long before he bought into it. He may not be working with the rest of the players for long enough to buy into what he's saying and they might just think who is this dickhead spouting shit.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 1st, 2014, 4:29 PM
It might be a problem too when you listen to this positive thinking guy, then go into a team talk from Roy Hodgson telling you not to cross the halfway line and make sure you stick to a flat bank of 4 and kick it long to the big lad or pass it back to your goalie.

RFF Champ
May 1st, 2014, 5:24 PM
I didn't say that. Have you developed reading problems? I said I thought those players could be dealt a blow if they lose the title, I also said there are alternative options to all of them for England but it would be nicer to be able to slot those guys in who would be on a high, rather than a devastating low, if they win the title rather than blow it.

The people he may annoy would be the rest of the England squad who don't work with him on a day-to-day basis, since the Liverpool contingent are only a minority of the guys actually there. Further, when players are winning games their attitudes may be different to when they are losing them. Dr. Steve Peters has nothing to do with the football Liverpool are playing or the style Rodgers has implemented, nor can he make them more talented. Luis Suarez has been scoring mountains of goals throughout his career. What we can say for sure is that winning players are happy with how things are going and that they currently have a high opinion of this bloke. It's no more down to him that they are playing well than it will be when their form takes a dip and they start to lose.

You've got the reading problems and you've brought Gary J along for the ride. That's exactly what you said, that Englands hopes depend a lot on these Liverpool players (true) but questioned their frame of mind. You've then created your own mini-argument about Peters pissing off other players, you're probably right, but where does that fit in with the Liverpool discussion? All the while four of these cruical five players are quoted as being coached effectively by a mind doctor so whatever the outcome of the league, they're likely to bounce back fine.

It's not 1996 anymore, psychologists are a key part of top level sport and Roy Hodgson doesn't play two banks of four.

Bad Collin
May 1st, 2014, 5:27 PM
I reckon he is a hypnotist who just tells the players to big him up.

RFF Champ
May 1st, 2014, 5:38 PM
There were certainly signs, particularly against Poland of Woy operating a more attacking style. Watch just about any section of the highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkPsEoFBFQ4) and one, if not both, of our full backs are in the opposition half. It was probably also Baines' best game so far for England because he had that freedom. I suspect that'll be reigned in against Italy but my biggest concern surrounding Hodgson was a complete lack of flexibility to be aggressive in trying to win a game. At Fulham he had two attacking full backs in Konchesky and Paintsil and he had Billy Jones at WBA but he had wingers like Duff and Brunt there though that would really defend. We didn't have that with Townsend and Sturridge yet they still pushed up which is promising because we're going to have to attack games at times.https://forums.rajah.com/editpost.php?p=7318600&do=editpost

El Capitano Gatisto
May 1st, 2014, 5:41 PM
You've got the reading problems and you've brought Gary J along for the ride. That's exactly what you said, that Englands hopes depend a lot on these Liverpool players (true) but questioned their frame of mind. You've then created your own mini-argument about Peters pissing off other players, you're probably right, but where does that fit in with the Liverpool discussion? All the while four of these cruical five players are quoted as being coached effectively by a mind doctor so whatever the outcome of the league, they're likely to bounce back fine.

It's not 1996 anymore, psychologists are a key part of top level sport and Roy Hodgson doesn't play two banks of four.

They're quoted as saying he's been helpful, what else would they say? He's been useless? Their manager brought him in and he tells them nice things and they're winning games. I actually doubt he'll be able to do much if they have blown this title and I question his methods, if we accept for a moment the weight you've put upon them, if those players got wound up so much by a Chelsea team wasting time in a game that Liverpool didn't even need to win. A draw would have suited Liverpool much, much more than it would Chelsea, yet Liverpool still responded badly to Chelsea defending and wasting time. Liverpool were as much mentally defeated as tactically on Sunday by Chelsea's stalling work, so what does that say for their mental strength? Why is it so easy to assume they would bounce back quickly when Steven Gerrard alone was so clearly mentally wounded by his slip?

And Daniel Sturridge's form has been poor for a number of weeks now, so there is also that side issue. Maybe he needs extra sessions.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 1st, 2014, 5:46 PM
There were certainly signs, particularly against Poland of Woy operating a more attacking style. Watch just about any section of the highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkPsEoFBFQ4) and one, if not both, of our full backs are in the opposition half. It was probably also Baines' best game so far for England because he had that freedom. I suspect that'll be reigned in against Italy but my biggest concern surrounding Hodgson was a complete lack of flexibility to be aggressive in trying to win a game. At Fulham he had two attacking full backs in Konchesky and Paintsil and he had Billy Jones at WBA but he had wingers like Duff and Brunt there though that would really defend. We didn't have that with Townsend and Sturridge yet they still pushed up which is promising because we're going to have to attack games at times.https://forums.rajah.com/editpost.php?p=7318600&do=editpost

I think the game away to Ukraine is more indicative of Hodgson's approach to a difficult game and that was over-whelmingly backward and negative. Rigid, predictable and direct is how England will play this summer. He is a man left behind by modern football,

RFF Champ
May 1st, 2014, 6:12 PM
I think the game away to Ukraine is more indicative of Hodgson's approach to a difficult game and that was over-whelmingly backward and negative. Rigid, predictable and direct is how England will play this summer. He is a man left behind by modern football,

Vintage Hodgson, that game. It got us what we needed. He's done that in a couple of crucial situations, he did it for Fulham in their Europa semi final 1st leg away at Hamburg under difficult circumstances. It was the ash cloud, if I remember, they had to get the national express over. It's a useful tactic to be able to deploy if your manager and players can pull it off. I imagine we'll do it with the Italians and leave the rest in our hands.

Equally though, the most promising part has been the fact that we haven't played 4-4-2 at all and at home we've attacked teams. It's exciting that he's going to have some proper time to work with these players because one thing you can't argue with is his record in improving players. In his full season as West Brom manager his team scored more than Rodgers' Swansea side, in his half season I think they were 6th highest scorers. Only Germany and Holland scored more goals than us in qualifying, he's trying to carve an attacking identity into the side. My key reservation was whether he'd cope managing a side that had to win games and couldn't settle for draws if necessary but I think his philosophy has been surprisingly positive.

RFF Champ
May 1st, 2014, 6:18 PM
They're quoted as saying he's been helpful, what else would they say? He's been useless? Their manager brought him in and he tells them nice things and they're winning games. I actually doubt he'll be able to do much if they have blown this title and I question his methods, if we accept for a moment the weight you've put upon them, if those players got wound up so much by a Chelsea team wasting time in a game that Liverpool didn't even need to win. A draw would have suited Liverpool much, much more than it would Chelsea, yet Liverpool still responded badly to Chelsea defending and wasting time. Liverpool were as much mentally defeated as tactically on Sunday by Chelsea's stalling work, so what does that say for their mental strength? Why is it so easy to assume they would bounce back quickly when Steven Gerrard alone was so clearly mentally wounded by his slip?

And Daniel Sturridge's form has been poor for a number of weeks now, so there is also that side issue. Maybe he needs extra sessions.

These quotes are from articles dedicated to the work they've done with the man, they don't have to say anything at all. You won't find a single quote from Glen Johnson, for example, even though I think it's acknowledged he attends sessions with him.

A draw would have suited them more but obviously the manager hasn't told them to play for a draw. That's got nothing to do with the psychologist who wasn't even present but then you know that and are probably just being difficult. The evidence is there for you to see, interpret it differently to me if you like.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 1st, 2014, 6:51 PM
These quotes are from articles dedicated to the work they've done with the man, they don't have to say anything at all. You won't find a single quote from Glen Johnson, for example, even though I think it's acknowledged he attends sessions with him.

A draw would have suited them more but obviously the manager hasn't told them to play for a draw. That's got nothing to do with the psychologist who wasn't even present but then you know that and are probably just being difficult. The evidence is there for you to see, interpret it differently to me if you like.

...I am sure that is where the quotes come from, but I doubt those players rang up and offered their opinions. They were asked, they were hardly going to say he is pointless, are they?

Whether the manager told them to play for the draw or not, why did they get so wound up by Chelsea stalling and defending? They were visibly peeved about it, at one point two Liverpool players manhandling Jose Mourinho to get the ball back. They didn't need to win the game to win the title, so it seems to me that a person equipped with superb psychological thinking techniques would be able to keep it cool in such a situation. It's easy to say Dr. Steven Peters is a great guy when you're winning game after game, but what good is the psychological training when it fails at the most important point? Like I said, Liverpool were mentally defeated moreso than tactically and it told in how they behaved on Sunday. Perhaps that is just me interpreting the evidence differently.

Once again, him being there is not the point. You misunderstand psychology or don't really know what it is if you think he needs to be there. It's not about giving inspirational speeches or seeping victory rays out of your eyes in a Christ-like fashion, it's about training people how to think and using thought techniques to alter responses to situations. In this case it'll likely be emphasising to footballers how to deal with pressure situations and how to free their decision making, how to respond to negativity, nerves and fear. Gary J is right in bringing up one point at least, these things, when they do work, take time. People undergoing CBT, for example, have to keep diaries for a number of weeks on how they respond to situations so they can reflect on them later, so the benefits for the rest of the World Cup squad seem marginal even for those who might buy into it.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 1st, 2014, 6:59 PM
Vintage Hodgson, that game. It got us what we needed. He's done that in a couple of crucial situations, he did it for Fulham in their Europa semi final 1st leg away at Hamburg under difficult circumstances. It was the ash cloud, if I remember, they had to get the national express over. It's a useful tactic to be able to deploy if your manager and players can pull it off. I imagine we'll do it with the Italians and leave the rest in our hands.

Equally though, the most promising part has been the fact that we haven't played 4-4-2 at all and at home we've attacked teams. It's exciting that he's going to have some proper time to work with these players because one thing you can't argue with is his record in improving players. In his full season as West Brom manager his team scored more than Rodgers' Swansea side, in his half season I think they were 6th highest scorers. Only Germany and Holland scored more goals than us in qualifying, he's trying to carve an attacking identity into the side. My key reservation was whether he'd cope managing a side that had to win games and couldn't settle for draws if necessary but I think his philosophy has been surprisingly positive.

Ukraine could and should have won that game. Getting a draw away is fine, but doing it without being able to control the game in any way, being unable to keep possession and to look nervy and vulnerable against a distinctly mediocre side is not encouraging. 22 of their 29 goals came against two very shit teams. Draws home and away vs Ukraine and away to both Montenegro and a turgid Poland side are more indicative of his approach. That was a fairly simple group. I will not be surprised if Joe Hart is once again England's main play-maker vs Italy this summer.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 1st, 2014, 7:06 PM
The Ukraine game was also an example of Hodgson reverting to the direct approach in a challenging match. Sticking Lambert up front with 5 midfielders 40 yards away twatting the ball at him. Inspiring.

Beefy
May 4th, 2014, 2:04 PM
Rumours in the papers that England will take three left backs. Hodgson needs to man up and make the tough call here. One of Shaw, Cole and Baines shouldn't go.

RFF Champ
May 4th, 2014, 2:19 PM
Doesn't even seem like a tough call to me, Baines and Cole is a no-brainer.

RFF Champ
May 4th, 2014, 2:24 PM
I think we've got a bit of a problem with our midfielders being out of form. Carrick, Barkley, Henderson and Wilshere have all either not been playing or not playing particularly well.

Andy
May 4th, 2014, 2:42 PM
Don't worry, Gerrard and Lampard are in bloody good form. Gareth Barry too.

Fanny Batter
May 4th, 2014, 4:16 PM
Barkley played well against Chelsea. Wilshere shouldn't go, he's been out too long. Joe Cole, Lampard, Gerrard and Stuey Downing will do the business.

turdpower
May 4th, 2014, 4:26 PM
Rumours in the papers that England will take three left backs. Hodgson needs to man up and make the tough call here. One of Shaw, Cole and Baines shouldn't go.

Well the toughest call is who starts in the first game. Taking 3 is pointless obviously.

Simon
May 4th, 2014, 4:46 PM
Barkley was fantastic yesterday as well as scoring a ridiculous goal.

Three left backs is idiotic. Pretty sure he will go with Baines and Cole.

Grimario
May 6th, 2014, 7:05 AM
Lucas Neill has been told he won't be in the WC squad. Oh noes.

son_of_foley
May 7th, 2014, 4:33 AM
Squad I would take

Hart, Foster, Butland

Johnson, Smalling, Baines, Cole, Cahill, Jagielka, Stones

Gerrard, Henderson, Wilshire, Milner, Lallana, Barkley, HUDDLESTONE

Sterling, Sturridge, Rooney, Carroll, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wellbeck

Think I would take Carroll over Lambert. He's winning everything in the air at the minute. Something to prove before he inevitably falls to pieces again. I don't even really rate Carroll at all.

son_of_foley
May 7th, 2014, 4:33 AM
If I was being honest I would probably take Berahino ahead of Wellbeck too

Torn
May 7th, 2014, 4:45 AM
What has Berahino done over the last 6 months other than play 15 mins a game and get punched by his team mates to deserve a spot?

RFF Champ
May 7th, 2014, 4:57 AM
Bamford is better than Berahino, in my opinion. Welbeck has been invaluable for England because he's the only one with a surprise factor and prepard to try a backheel or something like that but I think Sterling will probably be able to offer that too.

Torn
May 7th, 2014, 5:05 AM
Bamford has the benefit of being a nice posh lad instead of an absolute dickhead so that helps. I doubt there is going to be any kind of surprise selection but Wickham is the most likely striker wildcard? It's not like he is suddenly going to pick Charlie Austin. Although I would like that.

Grimario
May 7th, 2014, 5:08 AM
Lee Gregory. Highest scoring Englishmen this season, isn't he?

Torn
May 7th, 2014, 5:14 AM
We're not Australia mate, we don't have the scour the Conference for anyone with a valid passport.

Grimario
May 7th, 2014, 5:21 AM
Ahaahahahaha.

Oh.

:(

We are taking 5 or 6 from Australia... we aren't Conference standard. Gregory would probably be amazing for us up front too... Cahill is likely our "striker".

Beefy
May 7th, 2014, 5:36 AM
I also wonder if Conor Wickham may have played his way into contention as an alternative to Lambert or Carroll.

That targetman decision is the most difficult one of the lot, I think.

Simon
May 7th, 2014, 5:37 AM
Not convinced we'll take a fourth striker. Sturridge/Welbeck/Rooney with as many attacking midfielders dragged in as possible.

Beefy
May 7th, 2014, 5:41 AM
If there's one current international manager who is going to make sure that he brings a targetman to the World Cup it'll be Roy Hodgson.

Romford Pele
May 7th, 2014, 6:07 AM
I think Carroll will make it. Lambert just does not convince me at this level and Wickham has just hit a bit of form, he has a lot to prove

My squad:-

GK
Hart
Carson
Foster

DF
Johnson
Jones
Smalling
Baines
Cole
Cahill
Jagielka

MID
Gerrard
Wilshire
Barkley
Milner
Sterling
Ox
Lampard
Henderson
Lallana

ATT
Rooney
Sturridge
Carroll
Wellbeck

Thoughts?

I think Rodriguez might have made it if not injured and Shaw just isnt quite ready yet. Glad Walker and Townsend didnt make it though - both overrated shite.

Torn
May 7th, 2014, 6:27 AM
Have you and sof got Smalling in your squad because you think Roy will take him or you would include him? I'd legitimately rather take Tony Craig than him right now. His versatility is going to get him a spot but I'd much prefer if Clyne went to cover Glen Johnson than the alternatives.

Romford Pele
May 7th, 2014, 6:37 AM
Have you and sof got Smalling in your squad because you think Roy will take him or you would include him? I'd legitimately rather take Tony Craig than him right now. His versatility is going to get him a spot but I'd much prefer if Clyne went to cover Glen Johnson than the alternatives.

I don't rate Smalling but there are very few options there. He has at least played at that level whilst Craig and Clyne (I do like him) are untested.

There is definitely an issue of depth at the back, I'm just prayign Jag and Cahill dont get injured!

MikeHunt
May 7th, 2014, 6:39 AM
Wickham to brazil! MikeHunt says yes!

Romford Pele
May 7th, 2014, 6:43 AM
Based on a half dozen good performances?

MikeHunt
May 7th, 2014, 6:46 AM
Based on the fact he's even more shit than the rest of the players.

who was it that said take puncheon a few weeks ago as well. I fully endorse that also.

MikeHunt
May 7th, 2014, 6:49 AM
In all seriousness though you would take the likes of Barkley, whiltshire, smalling, Carroll and jones who have been out of form all season or just have not been playing regularly (injury/form).

Romford Pele
May 7th, 2014, 6:49 AM
Oh, irony.

Yeah Puncheon is the 2014 Michael Ricketts. No thankyou.

MikeHunt
May 7th, 2014, 6:51 AM
What's the irony?

Romford Pele
May 7th, 2014, 6:51 AM
In all seriousness though you would take the likes of Barkley, whiltshire, smalling, Carroll and jones who have been out of form all season or just have not been playing regularly (injury/form).

Barkley and Wilshire have been good this season. Granted Wilshire has been injured but who else is there? Cleverley - shite. Young - shite. Barry - shite

I agree Jones and particular Smalling do not impress me, but again there isnt much choice there. Carroll is the best we have at a plan B in attack.

Romford Pele
May 7th, 2014, 6:52 AM
What's the irony?

Your first post. Don't worry about it.

MikeHunt
May 7th, 2014, 6:53 AM
Barkley and Wiltshire have been incredibly average/shite.

i think barry has had a fat far better season than both.

Romford Pele
May 7th, 2014, 6:55 AM
I dont think you can have Barry and Gerrard in the same midfield now. It was a toss up between Barry and Lampard but I think fat Frank is more likely to come on late in a game and get a goal, hence his inclusion.

Gary J
May 7th, 2014, 7:00 AM
Wilshere has been completely shit as evidenced by the fact when I've mentioned it this season hardly anyone has defended him.

MikeHunt
May 7th, 2014, 7:02 AM
I honestly never really got the hype surrounding Wiltshire. I can see Barkley being a bit more worthy of it.

Gary J
May 7th, 2014, 7:06 AM
Same always thought Ramsey was a far better player then Wilshere and that Arsenal fans should be more excited about him.

Barkley has looked fairly good the times I've seen him not quiet sure he deserves the hype he's been getting recently but he might live up to it eventually.

Romford Pele
May 7th, 2014, 7:08 AM
Wilshire has had some solid games this season, I have seen every Arsenal game and he is there to link the play - he wont score a lot of goals but that is not his job.

He is one of the few players who can pass the ball and shield it well. Almost every tournament in the last 15 years England have struggled to keep possession against decent sides. I cannot tell you how much it infuriates me when Gerrard starts doing the hollywood 50 yard balls which go absolutely nowhere.

Romford Pele
May 7th, 2014, 7:10 AM
Same always thought Ramsey was a far better player then Wilshere and that Arsenal fans should be more excited about him.

Barkley has looked fairly good the times I've seen him not quiet sure he deserves the hype he's been getting recently but he might live up to it eventually.

Ramsey is a different type of player, much more like someone like Lampard. Box to box, good eye for goal.

Barkley has looked very, very good since he has broken through. He could be a fantastic player if he continues like he has.

Bennedy
May 7th, 2014, 7:21 AM
http://www1.skysports.com/FIFA-World-Cup-2014/england/squad-selector/d93533d7a8890cf0f9c6c2bf4c880ee7397855f2

My picks. Jones and Smalling can both fuck off, I'm taking Flanagan and Stones.

Beefy
May 7th, 2014, 7:26 AM
Hart
Foster
Forster

Johnson
Jones
Baines
Cole
Jagielka
Cahill
Caulker

Lallana
Gerrard
Milner
Wilshere
Barkley
Henderson
Carrick
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Stirling

Rooney
Sturridge
Welbeck
Carroll

Give us the cup now. Just pray that we don't get any injuries at centre-half.

MikeHunt
May 7th, 2014, 7:33 AM
http://www1.skysports.com/FIFA-World-Cup-2014/england/squad-selector/d93533d7a8890cf0f9c6c2bf4c880ee7397855f2

Paul merson football pundit would take Defoe. Fantastic. Give him a job now England.

Romford Pele
May 7th, 2014, 7:37 AM
Yeah Merson should do one - Defoe ffs.

Romford Pele
May 7th, 2014, 7:39 AM

How many games has Stones played? Flanagan needs another year I think. Lot of risk there.

Simon
May 7th, 2014, 7:40 AM

who was it that said take puncheon a few weeks ago as well. I fully endorse that also.

Christophe Berra (28 caps) :lol:
Alan Hutton (39 caps) :lol:
Gary Caldwell (55 caps) :lol:
Kenny Miller (69 caps) :lol:

Romford Pele
May 7th, 2014, 7:42 AM
Its alright Darren Fletchers back :lol:

Simon
May 7th, 2014, 7:42 AM
On this season's form Flanagan should go, he's been the best left back for me and even short of games at right back he's more worthy of selection than any of the alternatives...the only problem is he's so aggressive and tough-tackling that I worry if the stricter refereeing at the World Cup would be a problem, one mistimed challenge and he's off.

Simon
May 7th, 2014, 7:43 AM
Its alright Darren Fletchers back :lol:

Fletcher is class to be fair, United look a much better team with him on the pitch.

Romford Pele
May 7th, 2014, 7:46 AM
On this season's form Flanagan should go, he's been the best left back for me and even short of games at right back he's more worthy of selection than any of the alternatives...the only problem is he's so aggressive and tough-tackling that I worry if the stricter refereeing at the World Cup would be a problem, one mistimed challenge and he's off.

Has he even played for England? I'm not saying we shouldnt take any uncapped players, but I dont think Woy would trust him to throw him into a game against Italy or Germany.

Romford Pele
May 7th, 2014, 7:47 AM
Fletcher is class to be fair, United look a much better team with him on the pitch.

That isnt hard this season though is it.

BBF
May 7th, 2014, 7:49 AM

That was me. Partly cos he's good but mainly cos he's a Barnet boy.

son_of_foley
May 7th, 2014, 8:15 AM
What has Berahino done over the last 6 months other than play 15 mins a game and get punched by his team mates to deserve a spot?

FOX IN THE BOX

son_of_foley
May 7th, 2014, 8:17 AM
I think he'll go as he can cover at CB more than someone like Clyne can. So yeah more because Roy would take him. I wouldn't take Kyle Walker. I don't rate Smalling but rate him as a steadier force than Jones currently. There really is a noticeable lack in quality cb

I don't rate Smalling but there are very few options there. He has at least played at that level whilst Craig and Clyne (I do like him) are untested.

There is definitely an issue of depth at the back, I'm just prayign Jag and Cahill dont get injured!

Think he was joking about Tony Craig mate

BBF
May 7th, 2014, 8:31 AM
I think he'll go as he can cover at CB more than someone like Clyne can. So yeah more because Roy would take him. I wouldn't take Kyle Walker. I don't rate Smalling but rate him as a steadier force than Jones currently. There really is a noticeable lack in quality cb

Especially when you consider the amazing quality we had a few years ago at centre back. its like strikers in the mid 90s

son_of_foley
May 7th, 2014, 9:04 AM
A fit JONNY EVANS would be your best centre-back. FUCK A GARY CAHILL

BBF
May 7th, 2014, 9:08 AM
Agreed.

I genuinely don't think a front 6 of Gerrard, Henderson, Rooney, Sterling, Ox/Lallana and Sturridge would see us that bad this summer but the back 4 are lacking hugely.

Shame Roy won't play like Rodgers has got Liverpool playing this season and let those 6 just go for it. Concede 3 but fuck it we'll score 5.

Romford Pele
May 7th, 2014, 9:12 AM
If Euro 2012 taught us anything, its that Woy will be very conservative.

I will be very suprised if he plays two strikers. If Rooney and Sturridge start, one of them will be wide right with Wellbeck wide left in 4-5-1.

I like our first choice centre backs and we have good options at left back. I have never been convinced about Glen Johnson and the other centre halves are poor no doubt.

Midfield looks solid.

Torn
May 7th, 2014, 9:12 AM
Think he was joking about Tony Craig mate

Ahaha yes obviously. He is very good though!

Yeah there is no depth at CB at all. And as you said before when you brought up Harry bloody Maguire as a promising one for the future there aren't many youngsters on the rise either. Slightly outraged Maguire got in the League One team of the year over Craig. Oh and James Tarkowski I feel has a much more promising future than Maguire. The guy is pure class. Your boy Liam Moore looked good when he was with us but Tarkowski is on another level completely.

Torn
May 7th, 2014, 9:13 AM
Lallana is a must start for me. Has to play surely.

BBF
May 7th, 2014, 9:15 AM
I'd play Lallana for sure.

I do think this tournament could be very exciting for us if those front 6 are let loose but its not going to happen.

Romford Pele
May 7th, 2014, 9:19 AM
Starting 11?

Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines

Henderson Gerrard Wilshire

Ox Rooney Wellbeck

Simon
May 7th, 2014, 9:20 AM
Hart

Henderson - Gerrard

Sterling - Rooney - Welbeck

Sturridge

Hart is still the only realistic choice for goalkeeper, he's actually been really good since he came back into the City side - Forster looks a very good keeper but until he's playing in a proper league you can't really tout him as England's number one just because he does well against Barcelona once a year. Foster just isn't quite up to scratch, perfectly decent third choice keeper though.

Most of the defence picks itself - there's an argument for saying Flanagan should be our first choice right back as all the other options have been injured (Walker), crap (Jones, Smalling) or injured and crap (Johnson). However Johnson has rarely let England down and is decent both defensively and going forward. Cahill is now a very, very good centre back and well worth his place, Jagielka is fine if limited...if one of those two gets injured we are fucked because the paucity of alternatives is frightening. Caulker should definitely go ahead of Jones or Smalling but almost certainly won't. Left back is more difficult - despite being the best of the three realistic choices domestically, Baines has never looked comfortable in an England shirt for me. Assuming it's him and Cole that go, I'd have Cole ahead of him every time - still easily the best we have and never lets us down regardless of the opposition.

Gerrard and Henderson are certs for the two deeper midfield positions IMO. Wilshere is a decent option from the bench if we're lacking a bit of creativity, Carrick a superb alternative to Gerrard if we lose him.

The three attacking midfielders is where it gets a bit trickier, with plenty of good options. Thankfully Townsend is now ruled out as Hodgson has a bonk on for him even though he's shit. For me Sterling should be a guaranteed starter now, he has improved to an incredible extent over the past year and is now genuinely one of the best young players in Europe for my money, he has it all - lightning pace, good work rate, a decent brain and, crucially, a final ball which is where previous options like Lennon, Walcott, Townsendbetc have let themselves down. Barkley has to go, but personally I'd have him as an option from the bench - bring him on if we need a goal and let him cause some mayhem. It's easy to dismiss Rooney as past it but he's still the best attacking player we have, and an essential starter behind the main striker. For the left wing, I'd be tempted by Lallana who has so much quality on the ball, but it's difficult to ignore Welbeck's pace and work rate, plus he's a goal threat.

Sturridge up front. There are no other realistic options. If Hodgson plays Rooney up front and Sturridge on the right, we might as well jack it in and spend June preparing for the Euro 2016 qualifiers.

The eleven I've put above has plenty of quality and solidity, and it leaves a host of excellent attacking subs available - Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley, Wilshere, Baines/Shaw...players that come with more risk, but more natural attacking impetus.

Torn
I was pretty excited by the front 6 of Gerrard, Henderson, Wilshere, Rooney, Sturridge and Sterling in the last friendly, then he stuck Sturridge on the wing and we played like complete shit. The only creative spark came from Lallana when he came on. We're going to have to be conservative against Italy and Uruguay though so I'm not going to stay Roy's style is a bad thing just yet.

Romford Pele
Lallana is a must start for me. Has to play surely.

In place of who? Wilshire? Henderson?

I put Ox in but it could easily be Sterling. I'm not convinced Sturridge will start.

BBF
May 7th, 2014, 9:32 AM
Wilshire's shit.

Hart
Johnson - Cahill - Jagielka - Baines
Henderson - Gerrard
Sterling - Rooney - Lallana
Sturridge

Use Ox as a impact player, Welbeck if we need some work put in from the front and Barkley as the unknown midfielder who will just go for it.

son_of_foley
May 7th, 2014, 9:32 AM
Ahaha yes obviously. He is very good though!

Yeah there is no depth at CB at all. And as you said before when you brought up Harry bloody Maguire as a promising one for the future there aren't many youngsters on the rise either. Slightly outraged Maguire got in the League One team of the year over Craig. Oh and James Tarkowski I feel has a much more promising future than Maguire. The guy is pure class. Your boy Liam Moore looked good when he was with us but Tarkowski is on another level completely.

I think Liam Moore is probably better than Stephen Caulker who I think is poop

son_of_foley
May 7th, 2014, 9:34 AM
Most of the defence picks itself - there's an argument for saying Flanagan should be our first choice right back as all the other options have been injured (Walker), crap (Jones, Smalling) or injured and crap (Johnson).

I honestly think there is absolutely no argument for that at his current level.

Torn
May 7th, 2014, 9:37 AM
Hart
Johnson - Cahill - Jagielka - Baines
Henderson - Gerrard
Sterling - Rooney - Lallana
Sturridge

This would be my team too.

I think Liam Moore is probably better than Stephen Caulker who I think is poop

I've barely seen any of Cardiff this year to judge Caulker. Thought he looked very good the last two years though. Not sure why but Moore hasn't got much game time at Leicester since the start of the year?

Beefy
May 7th, 2014, 9:39 AM
Milner will start against Italy. I think Hodgson will go into that game looking to not lose.

A couple of months ago I'd have agreed that you need to start Sturridge through the centre and push Rooney out wide if necessary. I'm not so sure now. Rooney has ended the season more strongly, IMO.

Simon
May 7th, 2014, 9:39 AM
I honestly think there is absolutely no argument for that at his current level.

You don't rate Flanagan? I had a similar argument the other day with a guy who doesn't rate him and I just don't get it...he has been superb this season. Maybe could add a bit more going forward which might be a problem as usually it seems easier to teach a naturally attacking full back to defend than a naturally defensive full back to attack, but beyond that he is solid as fuck, never gives up, comfortable on the ball...I think he has been a revelation.

Beefy
May 7th, 2014, 9:41 AM
Hart

Johnson Jagielka Cahill Cole

Henderson Gerrard Wilshere

Milner Sturridge Rooney

0-0 in the rain-forest then move on from there.