PDA

View Full Version : England vs Montenegro; England vs Poland

Simon
October 8th, 2013, 6:49 AM
Cole out of the Montenegro game, Rooney and Sturridge picked up knocks but are going to be ok...Montenegro without Vucinic which is big.

Think we will beat Montenegro. Dunno about Poland. Hopefully they can nick a point against Ukraine and then we should be alright. There's a reasonable possibility that Ukraine could go into the last game needing to rack up a mammoth goal tally to overtake our goal difference (currently 7 better than them)...against San Marino. Could be fun.

Simon
October 8th, 2013, 6:56 AM
P.S. does anyone care?

Beefy
October 8th, 2013, 7:27 AM
:wtf:

Why would anyone not care? If we lose this we don't go to the World Cup. It's the fucking World Cup.

Simon
October 8th, 2013, 7:31 AM
I was hilariously satirising myself to annoy that boring child Bennedy.

JP
October 8th, 2013, 7:33 AM
I think some people are mistaking the (welcome) absence of the usual England hype machine and apathy.

We're starting to view the national team the way it actually is rather than the way we wish it were, so there's less boastful screaming and more realistic thoughts of how we might do and some useful discussions on what we might be able to do to get better.

JP
October 8th, 2013, 7:33 AM

Booooooooooooooooo! :grumpy:

Beefy
October 8th, 2013, 7:36 AM
I think some people are mistaking the (welcome) absence of the usual England hype machine and apathy.

We're starting to view the national team the way it actually is rather than the way we wish it were, so there's less boastful screaming and more realistic thoughts of how we might do and some useful discussions on what we might be able to do to get better.

We've gone way too far the wrong way.

Simon
October 8th, 2013, 7:40 AM
Although I was joking, even the thought of England at the World Cup doesn't get me excited any more. It's been nine years since we were even watchable at a major tournament. Genuinely more excited about seeing Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy etc than England. Would only need one decent game against a shitbox team in the groups to get me interested again but the last time I can remember us playing really well in a tournament match was probably...Croatia in 2004? Arguably Portugal the same tournament? But even in that game we defended for 85 minutes after Owen's early goal.

EDIT: I was out of my head during the Sweden game in 2006 but I think we played well there?

JP
October 8th, 2013, 7:46 AM
We've gone way too far the wrong way.

Why'd you think that?

The current crop of players isn't as strong as we've been used to since around Euro 96. We got a very favourable draw for qualifying and I have no serious worries about us not making it, but in Brazil I'd be expecting more of the same as we saw in Euro 2012; solid and capable but not among the favourites. We were only a better Glen Johnson contact away from getting to the semis last time around and with the players we currently have I'd say anything similar would be a success.

As long as we're able to combine a realistic outlook with sensible planning and a little bit of hope I don't see that much of a problem with the toning down of the victory rhetoric.

Beefy
October 8th, 2013, 8:36 AM
Although I was joking, even the thought of England at the World Cup doesn't get me excited any more. It's been nine years since we were even watchable at a major tournament. Genuinely more excited about seeing Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy etc than England. Would only need one decent game against a shitbox team in the groups to get me interested again but the last time I can remember us playing really well in a tournament match was probably...Croatia in 2004? Arguably Portugal the same tournament? But even in that game we defended for 85 minutes after Owen's early goal.

EDIT: I was out of my head during the Sweden game in 2006 but I think we played well there?

But you'll be in the pub an hour before our first game, Three Lions will come on and you'll be well up for it. And that is what is on the line.

Beefy
October 8th, 2013, 8:41 AM
Why'd you think that?

The current crop of players isn't as strong as we've been used to since around Euro 96. We got a very favourable draw for qualifying and I have no serious worries about us not making it, but in Brazil I'd be expecting more of the same as we saw in Euro 2012; solid and capable but not among the favourites. We were only a better Glen Johnson contact away from getting to the semis last time around and with the players we currently have I'd say anything similar would be a success.

As long as we're able to combine a realistic outlook with sensible planning and a little bit of hope I don't see that much of a problem with the toning down of the victory rhetoric.

We're a solid quarter final team as we have been for the last 20 years. I think it's pathetic that other countries go into tournaments not trying or not hoping to win and would never want England to be in that position. That's when I'll stop supporting England.

"Victory rhetoric"? What does that even mean? I've never met anyone who has seriously ever believed that England have been the best team going into any tournament that we've entered in my lifetime. Even 96 we were terrible for at least four years before that and Venables was getting all sorts of stick going in. But these are knock-out cup competitions and you don't need to be the best. You just need to be reasonably solid and very lucky.

Gary J
October 8th, 2013, 11:19 AM
The only time i remember thinking England would genuinely going to win an international tournament was Euro 88. Due to our qualifying record and the perception we were robbed at Mexico 86 i seem to remember most media coverage saying it would be between us and Holland. It was a major shock to see us lose all 3 group games.

Bennedy
October 8th, 2013, 11:43 AM

The king of comedy strikes again.

Don't expect us to play very well over these two games. We should be solid against Montenegro and I could see a 2-0 win there. I think Poland will be a tougher game and that could quite easily end in a draw. Hopefully Sturridge stays fit and brings with him the goals he has been scoring for Liverpool.

Have Rooney and Sturridge really played together for England? I can't seem to remember them on the same pitch many times. Something about them two up front together quite excites me.

turdpower
October 8th, 2013, 1:56 PM
:wtf:

Why would anyone not care? If we lose this we don't go to the World Cup. It's the fucking World Cup.

hahaha, I didn't expect it to be you to take the bait.

Simon
October 11th, 2013, 7:28 AM
Wonder what formation we will go with. People are saying Townsend might start, big shout for a game of such importance.

I reckon Roy will play it safe and go 4-3-3 rather than 4-2-3-1

Hart

Walker - Cahill - Jagielka - Baines

Lampard - Gerrard - Wilshere

Rooney - Sturridge - Welbeck

If we do go 4-2-3-1...

Hart

Gerrard - Wilshere

Townsend - Rooney - Welbeck

Sturridge

Romford Pele
October 11th, 2013, 8:16 AM
Wonder what formation we will go with. People are saying Townsend might start, big shout for a game of such importance.

I reckon Roy will play it safe and go 4-3-3 rather than 4-2-3-1

Hart

Lampard - Gerrard - Wilshere

Rooney - Sturridge - Welbeck

If we do go 4-2-3-1...

Hart

Gerrard - Wilshere

Townsend - Rooney - Welbeck

Sturridge

Hart

Gerrard - Lampard

Milner - Rooney - Wellbeck

Sturridge

RFF Champ
October 11th, 2013, 8:54 AM
There is zero chance that Rooney will be played out of the centre. Sturridge might but it's unlikely. I think Walcott is quite a big miss.

Beefy
October 11th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Walcott is our best player so yeah he's a huge miss.

MikeHunt
October 11th, 2013, 10:38 AM
I hope yous get pumped.

Simon
October 11th, 2013, 10:41 AM
I hope...nope. Literally no opinion on Scotland.

Apparently in this hypothetical Nation League that UEFA want to set up to replace international friendlies (weirdly it hasn't had much traction in the media, I'd have thought it would be a huge story), Scotland will be in Division Six :lol:

MikeHunt
October 11th, 2013, 10:44 AM
We aren't playing tonight. Congratulations football god. I will piss myself if yous don't qualify from the "easy" group.

Simon
October 11th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Sounds to me like you're just another Scot looking for a way to justify the fact that you've pissed yourself.

RFF Champ
October 11th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Walcott is our best player so yeah he's a huge miss.

He's definitely not our BEST player but he's one of the few proven top level match winners we've got.

Simon
October 11th, 2013, 11:34 AM
5 goals in 40-odd appearances and three of them were in the same game, hardly a top level match winner. Rooney, Gerrard and Hart are the only match-winners we have, and Hart's gone to shit. We've got a couple with potential coming through like Sturridge and Wilshere but I doubt any opposition manager looks at us and sees a match-winner beyond Rooney at the moment.

RFF Champ
October 11th, 2013, 12:26 PM
10/10 for the flamboyance shown to discredit 90% of his career and one of the most important England performances for a good while.

MikeHunt
October 11th, 2013, 12:44 PM
First half of the n. Ireland games been rather entertaining so far.

JP
October 11th, 2013, 2:39 PM
Townsend chosen ahead of Milner, now that inspires a bit of confidence.

Andy
October 11th, 2013, 2:52 PM
Walcott frightens the shit out of international defences - he's a very important player for England.

MikeHunt
October 11th, 2013, 3:03 PM
Townsend?!?!

Fanny
October 11th, 2013, 3:29 PM
Andy the England and Rangers supporter

Bad Collin
October 11th, 2013, 3:40 PM
Fucks sake Rooney. That sums up his half, he has been gash.

JP
October 11th, 2013, 3:48 PM
Fucks sake Rooney. That sums up his half, he has been gash.

Think Rooney's been one of our better players, some great tracking back, making things out of nothing and is looking seriously hyped. Poor finish with his chance but I'm happy with him so far.

Gerrard and Lampard though, not entirely happy with and Walker has been sloppy at times. Some good stuff from Townsend though.

JP
October 11th, 2013, 4:04 PM
GET IN!

Townsend, fucking superb.

Simon
October 11th, 2013, 4:04 PM
Townsend, class.

Bad Collin
October 11th, 2013, 4:12 PM
Sensational from Townsend

Andy
October 11th, 2013, 4:14 PM
The value of genuine pace in international football :yes:

Simon
October 11th, 2013, 4:18 PM
Ahahahah

Hlebsfall
October 11th, 2013, 4:21 PM
Carrick? Fuck off.

wardy
October 11th, 2013, 4:23 PM
I think Townsend's been shit, they should have Jim Beglin on for a game like this.

JP
October 11th, 2013, 4:28 PM
Oh great, now for the inevitable 20 minutes of bricking it.

TraXX
October 11th, 2013, 4:33 PM
Cracking goal!

Simon
October 11th, 2013, 4:35 PM
Fucking Townsend boys. Beefy called it when he was at Yeovil.

Simon
October 11th, 2013, 4:36 PM
Spot on for once from Tyldesley, Hodgson deserves credit for taking a risk on him.

Hlebsfall
October 11th, 2013, 4:36 PM
Just like his Freddy Eastwood shout. He should be a scout.

Bad Collin
October 11th, 2013, 4:37 PM
What a debut, better than Lamberts. We should play 11 new players on Tuesday.

MikeHunt
October 11th, 2013, 4:41 PM
Fucking hate you cunts even more bursting my correct score coupon. Townsend was shit till the goal.

turdpower
October 11th, 2013, 4:44 PM
We should just play Welbeck, Lennon, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Rooney, Sturridge, Townsend as a forward 6.

Most of the attacks would break down, but it'd be fun to watch.

JP
October 11th, 2013, 4:47 PM
Fucking hate you cunts even more bursting my correct score coupon. Townsend was shit till the goal.

:lol:

Townsend was our best player even before the goal, stunning debut.

Beefy
October 11th, 2013, 4:51 PM
Just like his Freddy Eastwood shout. He should be a scout.

:cool:

I don't like to blow my own trumpet.

We moan a lot but come in that was a very decent performance. Lovely stuff.

Fanny
October 11th, 2013, 5:00 PM
England looked extremely dangerous every time they moved forward, it was genuinely entertaining. Townsend looks so hungry, what an incredible goal, really happy for the lad. Can you imagine how good Sturridge will get over the next few years? I think he's still to mature fully, it's quite exciting for you lot how immense he could be.

They're a good team, not world-beaters, but there was an industry there tonight that's often been lacking and a sense of teamwork whereas sometimes there feels like a bit of a disconnect between individuals. Credit to Woy for setting them up to go for the jugular. Sure, there was some luck, but that was a deserved win.

Jaymz
October 11th, 2013, 5:22 PM
Sturridge seemed a bit selfish at points, but I was very impressed with Andros Towsend.

Wellbeck looked like an annoyance to Montenegro's defense as usual without really threatening too much, and Rooney looked in decent form.

One more win and we're going to Brazil!

JP
October 11th, 2013, 5:28 PM
Twitter's going a bit mental about Chiles's Polish comment.

Andy
October 11th, 2013, 5:30 PM
What was it?

Beefy
October 11th, 2013, 5:30 PM
Yeah I thought when he said it that people would get him in it.

JP
October 11th, 2013, 5:34 PM
"There will be 15,000 (Polish people) here on Tues - good job, I need some building work doing"

Silly.

JP
October 11th, 2013, 5:35 PM
But seriously, some people are going mental.

Just saw somebody trying to equate it to Rodney Marsh's joke about the Tsunami.

Andy
October 11th, 2013, 5:36 PM
Haha, hope he gets sacked. Not because it's outrageous, just because he's a massive prick.

Fanny
October 11th, 2013, 5:37 PM
he's a fucking idiot usually and that's a stupid mistake. Fuck him. If they were playing India would he say "good thing, I fancy a curry!"? Same thing. Dickhead.

turdpower
October 11th, 2013, 5:42 PM
Is Jack Wilshire annoyed that someone called "Andros" plays for England?

And he's a bit brown looking too.

JP
October 11th, 2013, 5:43 PM
This was only made today and Chiles is making it happen, love it. :D

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomphillips/the-29-stages-of-a-twitterstorm

Bad Collin
October 11th, 2013, 5:43 PM
I think Jack he only wants players whose surnames sound like counties

Joe Hartfordshire in goal.

Andy
October 11th, 2013, 7:15 PM
How is it possible for Northern Ireland to be so bad? I know they've not got as many players to pick from as they did a few years ago but they have some good ones in there.

turdpower
October 12th, 2013, 4:56 AM
I think Jack he only wants players whose surnames sound like counties

Joe Hartfordshire in goal.

Now do the whole XI.

RFF Champ
October 13th, 2013, 4:24 AM
How is it possible for Northern Ireland to be so bad? I know they've not got as many players to pick from as they did a few years ago but they have some good ones in there.

Colin Murray made the point that they just become as good as the team they are playing. When they play Russia etc. they match them yet when they play Luxembourg they fall down to their level. Fair observation.

Rip
October 15th, 2013, 12:08 PM
£200 on tonight, must be mad considering it's bloody Poland!

MikeHunt
October 15th, 2013, 12:15 PM
I don't want rip to lose all that cash but........I hope yous get pumped.

Bad Collin
October 15th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Doesn't seem likely. I think we will be very cautious and end up drawing 0-0.

Simon
October 15th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Poland are bollocks, if nerves get to us it could be tight but I'll say 2-0...one early in the second half, one late on. Apparently Hodgson might play Carrick and Milner ahead of Wilshere/Lampard and Townsend :\

El Capitano Gatisto
October 15th, 2013, 1:02 PM
Colin Murray made the point that they just become as good as the team they are playing. When they play Russia etc. they match them yet when they play Luxembourg they fall down to their level. Fair observation.

They could have beaten Portugal as well. It's a joke, beating Russia plus matching Portugal home and away (only separated by the quality of Ronaldo's finishing really at home) then serving up the sort of shite on display against Azerbaijan and Luxembourg. It's fucking stupid, too, because winning the easy games is what will get easier groups in future. Dropping down the group tables is disastrous for future draws.

son_of_foley
October 15th, 2013, 1:11 PM
They could have beaten Portugal as well. It's a joke, beating Russia plus matching Portugal home and away (only separated by the quality of Ronaldo's finishing really at home) then serving up the sort of shite on display against Azerbaijan and Luxembourg. It's fucking stupid, too, because winning the easy games is what will get easier groups in future. Dropping down the group tables is disastrous for future draws.

Somehow I'm still behind Michael O'Neill.

Big things needed in next 2-3 years

New GK
New captain (J.Evans has to be that man in all aspects hopefully)
New RB (Hodson isnt good enough)
Find a good CM balance. It's shot to pieces at the minute.

Simon
October 15th, 2013, 1:14 PM
Didn't Evans get sent off for something idiotic the other day?

El Capitano Gatisto
October 15th, 2013, 3:27 PM
What a dig that was from Townsend.

Andy
October 15th, 2013, 3:27 PM
Breaking with pace through the middle is working a treat for Poland. Gerrard and Carrick are too slow.

The Rosk
October 15th, 2013, 3:39 PM
This has been the most entertaining England game since 2004.

El Capitano Gatisto
October 15th, 2013, 3:41 PM
It's not working that well, Poland shouldn't really still be in this. England are unfortunate that the best openings have fallen to Welbeck. Welbeck is the new Park Ji-Sung, except no where near as good a finisher. He's an effective player up until the moment he gets the ball, then he's more often a liability than a benefit. His movement, work rate and pressing are excellent, but it all goes to shit when the ball bounces off one of his big trampoline feet or he has to think about what to do with it. England need to get Sturridge in the areas Welbeck has been.

There's 1-0 anyway. England should go on to drill them now, Poland look really bad.

Andy
October 15th, 2013, 3:43 PM
Baines has been brilliant.

MikeHunt
October 15th, 2013, 3:58 PM
He's still not as good as cole.

Gary J
October 15th, 2013, 4:03 PM
Baines has been better then Cole for the past 3 seasons.

MikeHunt
October 15th, 2013, 4:06 PM
Disagree, defensively cole shits on him from a great height.

Im im not watching the England game cause unlike my confused friend Andy I'm watching scotland, LIKE HE FUCKING SHOULD BE!

Gary J
October 15th, 2013, 4:10 PM
I agree Cole is better defensively and on his day he is better but he doesn't have as many as those as he used to. Baines has been far more consistent now for a long long time.

How are Scotland doing?

El Capitano Gatisto
October 15th, 2013, 4:16 PM
I hate this bollocks where they don't show pitch invaders nowadays. If they had that back in the old days we'd have missed out on Peter Schmeichel chucking around some Turkish fanatic and getting death threats, or Dida diving after a "slap" from a Celtic fan.

Simon
October 15th, 2013, 4:18 PM
I hate this bollocks where they don't show pitch invaders nowadays. If they had that back in the old days we'd have missed out on Peter Schmeichel chucking around some Turkish fanatic and getting death threats, or Dida diving after a slap from a Celtic fan.

Yeah and that mad bloke at Euro 2004 who fucked himself into the net.

MikeHunt
October 15th, 2013, 4:21 PM
I agree Cole is better defensively and on his day he is better but he doesn't have as many as those as he used to. Baines has been far more consistent now for a long long time.

How are Scotland doing?

Very well. Under a bit of pressure early first half and again right now but we're looking good.

Fanny
October 15th, 2013, 4:21 PM
criminal if you lot fuck this up here

MikeHunt
October 15th, 2013, 4:24 PM
I bloody love international football. Get rid if this club shit lets just do this everyweek.

El Capitano Gatisto
October 15th, 2013, 4:26 PM
Weird decision to get Lampard on for Carrick. Unless Carrick has an injury or something.

MMH
October 15th, 2013, 4:29 PM
Disagree, defensively cole shits on him from a great height.

Im im not watching the England game cause unlike my confused friend Andy I'm watching scotland, LIKE HE FUCKING SHOULD BE!

Baines offers much more attacking wise though. Depends what you want in your full backs really.

They are both very good, its a nice problem for England to have i suppose.

MikeHunt
October 15th, 2013, 4:32 PM
Super Stevie Naismith!!! YAS!!! Lovely stuff!!!

Hlebsfall
October 15th, 2013, 4:33 PM
Ozil carried off injured. Great.

Beefy
October 15th, 2013, 4:33 PM
Why are England games so exciting for 23 of every 24 months? And so terrible when it comes to the actual tournaments?

Gary J
October 15th, 2013, 4:34 PM
Very well. Under a bit of pressure early first half and again right now but we're looking good.

I was a bit surprised how good you were when you played us as most reports have you down as shit obviously having barely seen any of Scotlands games that's all I've got to go by. Don't know if it's been a turnaround since Strachan took over or just poor management from the previous managers.

MMH
October 15th, 2013, 4:35 PM
Why are England games so exciting for 23 of every 24 months? And so terrible when it comes to the actual tournaments?

They are like a lot of decent but not great teams. When something is on the line they shit themselves and panic.

MikeHunt
October 15th, 2013, 4:36 PM
Cause yous are a bunch of bottlers.

if I ever see James Forrest in a Scotland top again after the performances from the full backs and wingers tonight it will be too bloody soon. Absolutely shit.

The Rosk
October 15th, 2013, 4:44 PM
Furst bit of elation I've had for years watching England. Good stuff.

Fanny
October 15th, 2013, 4:44 PM
well scripted - Stevie G, great player, great captain, well deserved. Chuffed for him.

Beefy
October 15th, 2013, 4:45 PM
Give us the cup

Fanny
October 15th, 2013, 4:47 PM
AHshgaskhagsgahe;jsalw

Mik
October 15th, 2013, 4:48 PM
I prefer watching this younger England team, shame that this World Cup will probably ruin them for the new generation.

Rip
October 15th, 2013, 4:49 PM

:D

Simon
October 15th, 2013, 4:50 PM

Yeah definitely. Two genuinely good performances, albeit against crap teams. No reason to think we will do any better than the quarters again but going that far playing decent football would be an improvement on the shit we gave been served over the past nine years.

El Capitano Gatisto
October 15th, 2013, 4:53 PM
Yeah definitely. Two genuinely good performances, albeit against crap teams. No reason to think we will do any better than the quarters again but going that far playing decent football would be an improvement on the shit we gave been served over the past nine years.

England will play awful football at the World Cup. This is Roy Hodgson we're talking about. Don't forget how dreadful the Ukraine game was, that is more the style that Hodgson brings to a challenging game.

son_of_foley
October 15th, 2013, 4:54 PM
I prefer watching this younger England team, shame that this World Cup will probably ruin them for the new generation.

Would be nice if the likes of lalana, morrison, Lambert and beraihno got added to the squad. They might be bloody fun to watch then although it has improved a lot.

Simon
October 15th, 2013, 6:13 PM
Morrison might well be added if he carries on with his current form. Berahino has a lot to prove. The other two, meh there are plenty of better players ahead of them.

Beefy
October 15th, 2013, 6:20 PM
Rickie Lambert is by far the best targetman who England have available. If fit, I'm sure he'll go to Brazil.

Lagom
October 16th, 2013, 4:07 AM
A certain someone may disagree with you...

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article8626698.ece/BINARY/original/Carlton-Cole.jpg

RFF Champ
October 16th, 2013, 4:12 AM
The way it's going Ward-Prowse will probably get in ahead of Lallana.

son_of_foley
October 16th, 2013, 4:18 AM
Yeah you never know. I think Lallana is a nice move from Lampard and Gerrard. Let's be honest it's getting silly bringing them both isn't it at that age? I would bring Lallana ahead of Frank I think.

Wonder if they could directly replace Wellbeck with Walcott in that front 4. Would be interesting for sure.

Would take Morrison ahead of Oxlade-Chamberlain personally.

Bennedy
October 16th, 2013, 4:38 AM
I want Frank to play in this World Cup and then he should probably call it a day. Think Gerrard will probably last until the Euros.

Judas Iscariot
October 16th, 2013, 4:46 AM
Way to get in, lads. Can't wait for the oncoming inflated expectations turned hatred.

Bennedy
October 16th, 2013, 4:48 AM
There will be none of that. Well, maybe a little bit of hatred.

Simon
October 16th, 2013, 4:53 AM
If he doesn't improve at international level on the last two games, Lampard won't go to the World Cup.

Grimario
October 16th, 2013, 5:06 AM
Way to get in, lads. Can't wait for the oncoming inflated expectations turned hatred.

To turn this into a general international thread for a moment... did you see the last 5 minutes of the Mexico game with overlaid coverage of your win against Panama? Two goals in 5 minutes had their commentator screaming GOD BLESS AMERICA, "We love you! We love you forever!", "For that we can now call you Mexican" and also some harsh ripping into the Mexican team with "you have no humility. You give nothing to the shirt. You feel nothing for the team... but the US does!"

MikeHunt
October 16th, 2013, 5:09 AM
If he doesn't improve at international level on the last two games, Lampard won't go to the World Cup.

I bet he will. His leg could be falling off and he'd still be taken. Stupid.

Beefy
October 16th, 2013, 5:32 AM
I don't think that's true. Hodgson has already said that he doesn't want to bring the big name players along in squads if they aren't seriously being considered for the first team. Wouldn't surprise me if neither Lampard nor Cole got to Brazil.

I'd take Lampard and use him as cover for Gerrard (presuming Gerrard starts). England's biggest problem in the Euros was that Parker and Gerrard had no cover at all so had to always play. They were both dead on their feet from about 30 minutes in against Italy.

MikeHunt
October 16th, 2013, 5:35 AM
I will bet you any money that if fit lampard and cole go to the World Cup.

MikeHunt
October 16th, 2013, 5:35 AM
Any money up to the value of £5

Beefy
October 16th, 2013, 5:41 AM
What's everyone's squad for the finals? I know there's a few youngsters coming through but I think I'd be tempted to go with players I know a bit about although could definitely be persuaded to do without Milner and/or Henderson. I'd like to see Sterling and Morrison in there but think it might be too soon.

Jones gets in ahead of Smalling purely because he can also add some youth to the midfield if needed.

Hart
Foster
Forster

Johnson
Walker
Cole
Baines
Jagielka
Lescott
Cahill
Jones

Gerrard
Lampard
Carrick
Wilshere
Townsend
Walcott
Milner
Henderson

Lambert
Rooney
Welbeck
Sturridge

Goes without saying I'd be getting on the phone to Beckham as well....

Simon
October 16th, 2013, 5:41 AM
Cole will go for sure, the replacements aren't strong enough regardless of whether or not Andy thinks Kieran Gibbs is the new Roberto Carlos. Lampard will probably be ok if he sorts his form out but he was awful against Montenegro and about as bad as it's possible to be in 20 minutes last night. Gerrard is obviously nailed on, Carrick and Wilshere both have an argument for being ahead of him...there isn't a great deal beyond that but Milner, Cleverley and others are more versatile than Lampard.

Beefy
October 16th, 2013, 5:42 AM
I will bet you any money that if fit lampard and cole go to the World Cup.

I hope they do. But Hodgson's words previously suggest that they won't.

Simon
October 16th, 2013, 5:45 AM
I wouldn't make any assumptions about Townsend going to the World Cup. He was England's best player in these two games, but he hasn't been brilliant for us so far this season and once Lamela is bedded in there's a strong possibility that he'll be on the bench most weeks.

Bad Collin
October 16th, 2013, 5:56 AM
Here are the dates and times of games: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23144640

All the times look decent apart from the random 2am game on a Sunday night. I can't wait to be in a pub for an England 11pm kick off.

:england:

Beefy
October 16th, 2013, 5:58 AM
That is going to be messy. Definitely going to be an all-dayer starting with breakfast in the pub.

I wonder how many times I'll hear Three Lions and Vindaloo that day....

Beefy
October 16th, 2013, 6:09 AM
Really hope we get Brazil in the tournament opener.

Bad Collin
October 16th, 2013, 6:17 AM
That would be incredible. Brazil or Germany would be my pick for the top seed in our group.

Simon
October 16th, 2013, 6:19 AM
Fuck is wrong with you niggaz. Weakest seed please.

Beefy
October 16th, 2013, 6:21 AM
I've always been jealous of the teams playing in that curtain-raiser. Fuck, imagine Brazil vs England kicking off the tournament...!

I think that will be the best time to play Brazil anyway.

I'd want to avoid Spain, Netherlands and Germany but I'd take anyone else including Brazil.

Simon
October 16th, 2013, 6:24 AM
Brazil would buttfuck us. If we can get through the tournament without meeting Brazil/Argentina/Spain/Netherlands/Germany/Italy/Portugal/Belgium I would fancy us to scrape into the semis.

MikeHunt
October 16th, 2013, 6:32 AM
Brazil would buttfuck us. If we can get through the tournament without meeting Brazil/Argentina/Spain/Netherlands/Germany/Italy/Portugal/Belgium I would fancy us to scrape into the semis.

hahahahahahaha! thats quite the list.

MikeHunt
October 16th, 2013, 6:33 AM
if we can avoid all the teams that might beat us then we might get to the final.

ridiculous simon.

Beefy
October 16th, 2013, 6:37 AM
I'm pretty sure it was a joke, MikeHunt.

Bring 'em on I say (other than Spain, Germany or Netherlands, as I said). Let's win this fucker.

Simon
October 16th, 2013, 6:41 AM
I swear there are some fucking thickos on here these days.

Beefy
October 16th, 2013, 6:41 AM
The excitement of England going to another tournament has got to him.

Andy
October 16th, 2013, 6:54 AM
Kieran Gibbs got called up ahead of the kid at Southampton which was my point from a couple of weeks ago.

Simon
October 16th, 2013, 6:57 AM
I think your point was that he was England's left back for the next decade or something similar. Not really the same as getting called up to one squad.

Andy
October 16th, 2013, 7:21 AM
It was that he'd probably be the next left back after Cole considering Baines will be in his 30s when Cole packs it in.

And Bobby Carlos was overrated.

Simon
October 16th, 2013, 7:23 AM
Baines is on the verge of replacing Cole now and he's only 28. By the time he's done you'd like to think Shaw would be a better player than Gibbs is seeing as there isn't much to choose between them now and he's only 18.

Gary J
October 16th, 2013, 7:37 AM
Even if Luke Shaw wasn't the replacement for Baines with Gibbs injury record and the fact he's not that great. Danny Rose and Ryan Bertrand will probably be better options.

MikeHunt
October 16th, 2013, 7:49 AM
I'm pretty sure it was a joke, MikeHunt.

Bring 'em on I say (other than Spain, Germany or Netherlands, as I said). Let's win this fucker.

If it was then it is well masked by all the other ridiculous things Simon blurts out on a regular basis.

I am truly excited about watching yous get battered in a major tournament again.

Simon
October 16th, 2013, 7:54 AM
Nice try passing the buck on you making yourself look like a dimwit.

The whole hating England thing doesn't work MikeHunt because, as always, we've already done better than Scotland at this World Cup. We could lose every game 5-0...still better than Scotland.

MikeHunt
October 16th, 2013, 8:04 AM
This we you are referring to is it;

england
ireland
Nigeria

?

also I don't hate England I just love yous all losing. I watched the footballers football show or something like that on sky and bloody hell the only people on it talking sense were John Barnes and glen hoddle, that's right Barnes and hoddle, fucking hell. We know we aren't that great, mind you I'm rather excited about the future.

Simon
October 16th, 2013, 8:06 AM
Yeah your future is looking pretty rosy :lol::nono:

The Sun gave all England players a rating of 10 last night :D

Beefy
October 16th, 2013, 8:07 AM
Random tangent here but when is the Independence vote next year? I wonder if having it around the time of the World Cup would see an increase in 'Yes' votes?

Beefy
October 16th, 2013, 8:08 AM
also I don't hate England I just love yous all losing.

No wonder you're angry all the time.

One defeat in 22. Arise Sir Roy.

MikeHunt
October 16th, 2013, 8:14 AM
No wonder you're angry all the time.

One defeat in 22. Arise Sir Roy.

Wait till next year and all the same old faces trudge out the usual underwhelming performances and yous are dumped out the competition early as fuck. Lovely.

MikeHunt
October 16th, 2013, 8:15 AM
Yeah your future is looking pretty rosy :lol::nono:

The Sun gave all England players a rating of 10 last night :D

A lot better than it did a year ago.

ah the sun the hight of journalism.

Darkoke
October 16th, 2013, 8:23 AM
You are almost as easy to wind up as your pal Peter Griffin

Beefy
October 16th, 2013, 8:50 AM
Wait till next year and all the same old faces trudge out the usual underwhelming performances and yous are dumped out the competition early as fuck. Lovely.

Just so I understand what is happening here, a Scot is having a go at England for being dumped out of a competition early?

You've never got out of a group! :D

El Capitano Gatisto
October 16th, 2013, 9:03 AM
England will stink the tournament up real bad with Hodgson's style of play. If England line up in their first game with a midfield of Gerrard and Lampard then it would be seriously depressing for everyone, England supporters, football watchers in general. Watching them try to play football together as codgers against Ukraine was pitiful, like a parody of their ineptitude as an international midfield over the past decade. Why do successive England managers keep trying it?

Taking Ravel Morrison would be an interesting idea, although he might show up in Peru with suitcases full of cocaine or some other troublesome bollocks. I think though that Hodgson has to dispense with his customary defensiveness. There are some interesting young players in England's side, a base midfield of Gerrard, Carrick and Wilshere behind Sturridge, Rooney and Welbeck/Walcott could be pretty useful, with full-backs for width, then add in the likes of Chamberlain, Barkley and/or Morrison as bench options for impact. Impact players do work at the World Cup if they have the ability. Cole/Baines and Glen Johnson being fit could be very important for England. It seems weird to say that about Johnson but Kyle Walker is such a crap player while Smalling and Jones look uncomfortable there, he really is an important option with his ability going forward.

Andros Townsend I think is another SWP. Looks alright now but he's not that good a player. He's far too limited a player to be of any real danger to a decent side. If he goes to the World Cup he'll be underwhelming but he has probably earned his spot now.

Red Dog
October 16th, 2013, 10:08 AM
I'm starting to think Wellbeck is a bit shit.

turdpower
October 16th, 2013, 1:36 PM
I swear there are some fucking thickos on here these days.

It's a classic case of being so anti (or indeed pro) something that the joke doesn't register.

Rip
October 16th, 2013, 3:23 PM
Collected my winnings today.

Wife went to Ikea tonight.

Bollocks.

Darkoke
October 16th, 2013, 3:43 PM
The Swedish defeating England yet again...

Rip
October 16th, 2013, 4:10 PM
Worst part is now I have to build the bloody stuff.

JP
October 16th, 2013, 6:40 PM
Well this is incredibly disappointing.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/england-boss-hodgson-caught-up-2460799

Bad Collin
October 16th, 2013, 6:45 PM
Why? No offence was meant or taken.

Unless you mean it is disappointing that the Mirror are sensationalising this.

JP
October 16th, 2013, 6:52 PM
Why? No offence was meant or taken.

Unless you mean it is disappointing that the Mirror are sensationalising this.

Yep, the latter.

Apparently offence was taken by one player and that's how the story has come about. Collymore's tweets about this pretty much perfectly sum it up;

Thought I'd read Roy ''story''. Biggest load of bollocks I've ever wasted 10 seconds reading.He gave a context laden tale for fucks sake.

Demeans every anti racism campaigner by having cheap pop at RH who said NOTHING WRONG. Makes campaigners seem over PC & petty. They're not.

MikeHunt
October 17th, 2013, 1:58 AM
How's that racist? Cause it says monkey? Slaves? I don't get it and it's not funny, Woy Brent.

turdpower
October 17th, 2013, 2:02 AM
Top Tip: To avoid racist connotations, never use the word "monkey" from now on. Go specific. Chimpanzee, Gorilla etc.

MikeHunt
October 17th, 2013, 2:41 AM
Seems so.

Gary J
October 17th, 2013, 3:18 AM
Was monkey on that list of words Liverpool banned if so it was probably Gerrard who was offended.

Beefy
October 17th, 2013, 5:52 AM
Story was written by Ollie Holt. He's one 'Arry's mates isn't he?

Seen a suggestion that it was Frank Lampard who ran to the press with it, which would be the second time in a year that a Chelsea player has taken a 'monkey' comment completely out of context.

Simon
October 17th, 2013, 5:59 AM
Bit of a non-story if Townsend and the rest of the black players in the team were alright with the context. That said, Hodgson is an idiot for not recognising the potential issues of aligning a black player with a monkey in any context, however innocent. Thankfully the media seem to have let the story die quite quickly.

Beefy
October 17th, 2013, 6:06 AM
This country....

Darkoke
October 17th, 2013, 6:13 AM
Bit of a non-story if Townsend and the rest of the black players in the team were alright with the context. That said, Hodgson is an idiot for not recognising the potential issues of aligning a black player with a monkey in any context, however innocent. Thankfully the media seem to have let the story die quite quickly.

Talksport and Sky Sports News have pretty much said they're running with it all day.

I think it's very odd the English press have a habit of causing problems for the national team and the FA.

Bennedy
October 17th, 2013, 6:15 AM
I don't see it being Lampard. Has Hodgson even come out and said anything about it yet? It might just be complete nonsense.

1_Pablo_Angel
October 17th, 2013, 6:16 AM
What a load of shite. Our media really do suck a lot of the fun out of football for me.

Bennedy
October 17th, 2013, 6:17 AM
I don't see it being Lampard. Has Hodgson even come out and said anything about it yet? It might just be complete nonsense.

Just seen that it has been confirmed, but yeah, what a load of old shit.

Simon
October 17th, 2013, 6:40 AM
I love the idea that the media, even a battyrag like The Sun, would fictionalise a joke about a monkey from space in order to make Hodgson look bad.

Beefy
October 17th, 2013, 6:52 AM
They're not fictionalising it Simon but they're making it into something which it isn't.

At best it was mildly insensitive but I don't even think it was that. there's zero blame attached to Hodgson at all and, as Collymore said, all making this a story does is discredit genuine cases of racism. Shite like this makes the Kick it Out campaign look terrible.

Grimario
October 17th, 2013, 6:58 AM
They're not fictionalising it Simon but they're making it into something which it isn't.

I think he is referring to Bennedy's comment that it might be complete nonsense... which I assume was meant to be that it was all made up nonsense.

Simon
October 17th, 2013, 7:01 AM
Na Hodgson definitely has to accept a level of responsibility because there was a possibility someone could be offended, and he should have known that before telling the story. Of course The Sun (and particularly Oliver Holt who is a complete cunt) are turning it into a massive issue and should be blasted for it (it's on the fucking FRONT PAGE by the way) and whichever player went to the papers should be ashamed of himself, but any joke, story, anecdote or whatever that involves a black guy being depicted as a monkey is something you should steer clear of, regardless of context - if only because some people are thick and will jump to conclusions.

I feel sorry for Hodgson to an extent, certainly I would accept that to him it was a reasonable and innocent analogy, but this is the world we live in. He should have thought twice and not made that analogy. I would compare it to the argument that raged on here a few years back regarding people getting mugged, where my opinion is that while OF COURSE the mugger is the main person to blame, if the victim has gone to a known dangerous area then he needs to accept a level of responsibility for putting himself in danger. Hodgson went to that dangerous area.

Simon
October 17th, 2013, 7:01 AM
I think he is referring to Bennedy's comment that it might be complete nonsense... which I assume was meant to be that it was all made up nonsense.
Yeah this. Funnily enough, if the story was nonsense it could still have appeared in the Star quite easily.

El Capitano Gatisto
October 17th, 2013, 7:40 AM
It's not a racism issue, it's a "today's climate" issue and it's stunning Hodgson would be stupid enough to say something like that when there are a million other analogies/jokes he could have used. Hodgson lived and worked in South Africa for a year at the height of apartheid and the sporting boycott of the country, he likely knows a bit about horrible racism and this joke obviously pales in comparison. The implication that he decided at half time in a huge international game to take the opportunity to compare Andros Townsend literally to a monkey because of his skin colour in a highly racist fashion is at the centre of this and it's exceptionally moronic.

Whichever player (I haven't seen the confirmation of Lampard) ran to the press really is a snide little arsehole. The optimism of England qualifying was allowed to last one whole day. What a strange country.

El Capitano Gatisto
October 17th, 2013, 10:34 AM
It's also telling that whatever player leaked it ran to the press with it rather than the FA or PFA or anybody like that, or asked Andros Townsend if he was bother by it. Not professional, obviously looking to cause a stir rather than having any genuine concerns. They've put Townsend at the centre of something unwelcome at this point in his career too, just as he was getting good press for his performances.

Andy
October 17th, 2013, 10:37 AM
So bizarre. No surprise it's Custis and Holt running with it, weren't they Harry's best mates?

Hlebsfall
October 17th, 2013, 10:40 AM
This has become some bizarre footballing parody. You've got the Sky Sports presenters straight faced reading the headline that 'Roy Hodgson won't be made to apologise for a joke he made about a monkey in space.' Literally word for word that is what one of them just said.

El Capitano Gatisto
October 17th, 2013, 10:41 AM
It is seriously like a Brass Eye special.

The Rogerer
October 17th, 2013, 1:33 PM
I've just seen a billboard in GTA V for "Space Monkey 3D", which now leads me to believe it's a common turn of phrase I've never heard before. Is it like Space Cadet? Is this like when Naomi Campbell got annoyed when someone called her a Chocolate Teapot?

Beefy
October 17th, 2013, 1:43 PM
Interesting article here showing how England would have been seeded had they not scheduled so many showpiece '150th Anniversary of the FA' friendlies.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...raw-friendlies

Key paragraphs if anyone doesn't want to read the lot:

For example, against Sweden last November England were leading 2-1 with 15 minutes to play, made a stream of second-half substitutions and eventually lost the match 4-2. The match earned them no ranking points. Had they simply not played that game they would currently be 48.55 points better off. Six months later England won a feeble 161 points by drawing with the Republic of Ireland. Had that game also never been scheduled, England would currently be ranked by Fifa as the sixth best team in the world.

Play the percentages: England would have got 543 points had they won at the Maracană in June, but there were just 181 on offer for a draw while defeat would have left them with nothing. Meanwhile you can get 483 points for beating Peru at home, or 468 for beating Honduras. In this context the FA's decision to schedule an away friendly against Brazil, or for that matter Sweden, in the year of a World Cup finals draw is unjustifiable. Even if all their other results had been unchanged, had England played no friendlies at all in the last 12 months they would be 181 ranking points better off, and officially the fourth best team in the world.

El Capitano Gatisto
October 17th, 2013, 1:58 PM
The FA has bills to pay too, so organising a load of easy friendlies isn't an option. Obviously neither is no friendlies.

I don't think seeding will be that big a deal anyway, there'll be maybe one or two hard, competitive groups, but the rankings being a bit funny also means some weak teams get seeded so equally there will be the odd very weak group. The World Cup generally has two clearly weaker sides per group anyway, so there's no excuse for not getting through other than under-performance.

Beefy
October 17th, 2013, 2:04 PM
Oh yeah, I'm not overly bothered about it. Just thought it was interesting.

Don't want to get Spain or Germany from Pot 1 but also don't want to get Netherlands or Italy from Pot 2.

Fanny
October 17th, 2013, 2:25 PM
they don't deserve to be seeded, really. You know I'm not anti-England either Beef

MikeHunt
October 17th, 2013, 2:42 PM
You should be.

Fanny
October 17th, 2013, 2:52 PM
too lazy

MikeHunt
October 17th, 2013, 3:02 PM
It shouldn't be hard

Fanny
October 17th, 2013, 3:03 PM
really lazy

Bennedy
October 17th, 2013, 3:13 PM
You should be.

Why should he be?

MikeHunt
October 17th, 2013, 3:22 PM
I feel I've made this clear a million times.

Bennedy
October 17th, 2013, 3:42 PM
I feel I've made this clear a million times.

Why Fanny should be anti england? I don't think you have.

MikeHunt
October 17th, 2013, 4:01 PM
For the same reasons I am. It's really fucking satisfying watching England lose.

Bennedy
October 17th, 2013, 4:13 PM
For the same reasons I am. It's really fucking satisfying watching England lose.

Why would he share those views?

MikeHunt
October 17th, 2013, 4:15 PM
I would say the majority of the people in Scotland do

Fanny
October 17th, 2013, 5:11 PM
I'm special - I don't really give a fuck. I call it like I see it. I'm a maverick. A lone wolf.

wardy
October 17th, 2013, 5:32 PM
I'm pretty much the same as you Fandouche. I only like to see a team get beat if their fans wind me up or if I hate their manager/players, so it's only ever been whoever Celtic/Scotland are playing and of course Rangers.