PDA

View Full Version : Wrestlers who would make the best topic for a movie!!!!

chatty
August 21st, 2013, 11:22 AM
Continued from the News and Notes thread!!!

Anyway I picked out Eddie, Jake and Bret and here's why:

Eddie - Comes from a Mexican wrestling family so can start of in childhood growing up with the pressures of being in a famous wrestling family, wrestles around the world, Tag Parter Art Barr dies, has the romance story with Vickie and later Tory, drugs/alcohol, getting Ko'd off Hawk, Car crash that nearly killed him whilst drinking liquid ecstasy, WCW with the cruisers and their jump to WWE, Radicalz, getting fired, re-emergence in the indies and back to WWE, finally winning the title, death.

Jake - again grew up with a famous wrestling dad, this time though it was an abusive realationship, making his name in the terrortories until WWF and the Snake character, escapades with the snake, great rivalries with Savage, Steamboat etc, getting smashed int he head by Honky Tonks guitar leading to alcohol abuse, leaving WWE, fall to the bottom, messing up his kids, re-emergence in WWF, Austin, return to alcohol, DDP Yoga and beating the drink. Also all the Christianity stuff.

Bret - growing up in wrestling family, making the way to the top ahead of his siblings in Stampede, being taken over by Vince and WWF, Hart Foundation, Champion, Owen/Bulldog relationships, Shawn and their feud, Austin, Montreal, Ownes death, WCW and then Goldberg/Stroke, WWF/E v the Hart Family and divide of his family. Coming back, settling scores with Shawn/Vince and improved health, guys had like three wives so probably has some other shit going on there as well.

Those are just bits and bobs you could graft a film from, lots of ups and downs, tragedy, hitting rock bottom and shooting back to the top (or at least finding happiness or whatever), great rivalries etc

Who would you most like to see a film about?

Cewsh
August 21st, 2013, 11:25 AM
I'm amazed they've never made a movie about Andre the Giant. I assume it's just because there's nobody who could play him.

chatty
August 21st, 2013, 11:32 AM
I'm amazed they've never made a movie about Andre the Giant. I assume it's just because there's nobody who could play him.

Nicolay Valuev with a wig and someone speaking for him:chin:

The Law
August 21st, 2013, 11:33 AM
Chris Benoit is probably the most fascinating, but I don't think a movie is the right medium to explore his story. A documentary would probably work better. Interviews with the people who knew him could shed some light into what happened.

Hulk Hogan is kind of an obvious one. The most famous wrestler in history. The guy is basically synonymous with professional wrestling. All sorts of stuff to cover there: his rise, Wrestlemania, his relationship with Savage and Liz, steroids, Wrestlemania III, dropping the title to Warrior and trying to retreat from the spotlight, only to be called back. Leaving the WWF for WCW, starting the Monday Night War, joining the NWO, and finally returning to the WWE and absolutely blowing the roof off every arena he went to for the first few months (go back and watch the clips, especially the show in Montreal where the ovation went all the way through the commercial).

Ric Flair shows both the best and worst of wrestling. A great artist, a guy who was better at his craft than just about anyone else, but also someone who has had a tremendous toll taken on him by his life in wrestling. The piece on Grantland about his personal problems was excellent.

Vince McMahon's takeover of the professional wrestling business always seemed like something that would make a great movie. The Freudian aspect of him being driven to surpass his dad and disobeying his dying wish that he not destroy the territory system. Having his life threatened by the old-school promoters he was putting out of business. Leveraging his company and nearly going bankrupt, only to breakthrough and become a billionaire and the undisputed king of professional wrestling. Wrestlemania I seems like it would be the right time for the movie to end. A second movie could cover the steroid trial and the Monday Night War. Actually, you could make an entire movie about the Monday Night War.

JP
August 21st, 2013, 11:35 AM
A film based on the lives of both Eddie and Vickie Guerrero could be outstanding and wouldn't finish the film on a downer but the incredibly uplifting story of a Widow entering a world she has never been in before to ensure an income for her family and subsequently becoming on of the best of all time in her role.

Hero!
August 21st, 2013, 11:35 AM
Punk - between leaving home as a teen, running his own backyard fed, his brother stealing from him, being "adopted" into his friend's family, working about 43 jobs while wrestling, ruling the Indy scene, cracking his skull, having an ear drum destroyed in OVW, befriending Paul E, getting called up, winning & losing the belt, turning heel, 2 stables, pipe bomb, mega heel, and to top it all off: sleeping with a fuck ton of divas, well...c'mon, who wouldn't wanna watch this?

WizoOzz
August 21st, 2013, 11:36 AM
No one's said Mick Foley yet?

Seriously, there's a ton of potential for a Foley flick - he's got three goddamned books filled with stories from his wrestling experience. Why it hasn't happened yet is honestly a travesty.

Atty
August 21st, 2013, 11:38 AM
Jake would be a bit close to Randy The Ram and too depressing. I'd like to say Scott Hall but that would have the same issues. Both guys came amazingly close to the top, only for their demons to rip them down.

A more uplifting choice where they could show both the demons AND a recovery would be Shawn. I know I'm biased, but seeing him as a drug addled shithead and leaving after breaking his back with The Undertaker only to return a new man four years later and have his final match being Taker sending him off would be amazingly uplifting by the end. Showing him find himself in the middle, sort his life out and NOT go back to his demons is a key with him. You also get to show him bury the hatchet with Bret, hug the man he used to hate and really fix his life. Bits with him refusing title runs after his return would also play to the power of reform, as there's no chance shithead Shawn would ever have said no.

A bit with him coked out of his mind a WM 17 would be sad in there, but could really be tied in nicely, with Taker being the one who got him out of there before he did something (more) dumb. Really, having it end with his match with Taker, after how tied in he'd be throughout the story, and Mark breaking character to hug the reformed man in the ring could be such an inspiring ending. Then something with him happily fishing or hunting with his kids and happy with his wife—now I need this.

Blindsidemonster
August 21st, 2013, 12:03 PM
Honestly, I think Shane Mcmahon would be fascinating story. Seeing the business through his eyes; his father's way of doing business; watching his sister grow in the business and ultimately taking a completely different path than her and her husband ...pretty much giving away his chance to follow in his footsteps and be in charge of the WWE to clear his own path. It could spotlight his work ethic and his ability to go out there and not just hang with the boys but steal the show with them as well. Focus on his charisma and how nutty his family could be at certain times and you have a pretty interesting story fit for screen.

chatty
August 21st, 2013, 12:09 PM
Chris Benoit is probably the most fascinating, but I don't think a movie is the right medium to explore his story. A documentary would probably work better. Interviews with the people who knew him could shed some light into what happened.

Hulk Hogan is kind of an obvious one. The most famous wrestler in history. The guy is basically synonymous with professional wrestling. All sorts of stuff to cover there: his rise, Wrestlemania, his relationship with Savage and Liz, steroids, Wrestlemania III, dropping the title to Warrior and trying to retreat from the spotlight, only to be called back. Leaving the WWF for WCW, starting the Monday Night War, joining the NWO, and finally returning to the WWE and absolutely blowing the roof off every arena he went to for the first few months (go back and watch the clips, especially the show in Montreal where the ovation went all the way through the commercial).

Ric Flair shows both the best and worst of wrestling. A great artist, a guy who was better at his craft than just about anyone else, but also someone who has had a tremendous toll taken on him by his life in wrestling. The piece on Grantland about his personal problems was excellent.

Vince McMahon's takeover of the professional wrestling business always seemed like something that would make a great movie. The Freudian aspect of him being driven to surpass his dad and disobeying his dying wish that he not destroy the territory system. Having his life threatened by the old-school promoters he was putting out of business. Leveraging his company and nearly going bankrupt, only to breakthrough and become a billionaire and the undisputed king of professional wrestling. Wrestlemania I seems like it would be the right time for the movie to end. A second movie could cover the steroid trial and the Monday Night War. Actually, you could make an entire movie about the Monday Night War.

Were actually getting a Benoit film aren't we?

Benoit has a good story and a very sinister one at that, I think you're right, a documentary would be better because of several aspects. One is that they don't really know what happened so its not only gonna end on a sour note but also inconclusively at that, second is I'm not sure they will be able to get the true feel of Benoit in a couple of hours like a documentary would because they have to build him up to be a real nice guy family man only to shatter that image of 40+ years in one devastating weekend. I think the film will completely focus on the murders and just paint wrestling in a bad light.

Cewsh
August 21st, 2013, 12:18 PM
I don't think there's any way to make a dramatized movie about Chris Benoit without depicting him as a mustache twirling cartoon villain.

JP
August 21st, 2013, 12:23 PM
I don't think there's any way to make a dramatized movie about Chris Benoit without depicting him as a mustache twirling cartoon villain.

Incredibly easy.

chatty
August 21st, 2013, 2:22 PM

They could go the There Will Be Blood slow burn route rather than the Max Cady psycho from the start route though and I dont think they will.

Atty
August 21st, 2013, 3:00 PM
They could go the There Will Be Blood slow burn route rather than the Max Cady psycho from the start route though and I dont think they will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JghkG4WydNk

Benoit is just far too depressing.

chatty
August 21st, 2013, 3:23 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2102498/

Anaconda Sniper
August 21st, 2013, 3:25 PM

Anybody want a peanut?

BullyRayStoleMyLunch
August 21st, 2013, 5:41 PM
It HAS to be Foley. An underdog, looking like none of the rest of the top stars achieving the near impossible to cement his legacy alongside his peers? Hollywood all over it.

Mr_Nobody
August 21st, 2013, 6:09 PM
I agree 100% on Foley, and they could honestly end it with his first title win, as it would be the logical culmination of him as a wrestler.

The other one that seems like would be an interesting choice is Kurt Angle. Olympic Gold Medalist...drama of the broken neck, moving in to wrestling, repeated injuries, company on his shoulders, drug addiction, jump to TNA, divorce, legit problems with the boss, and continued problems with substance abuse. Hopefully, after rehab, he can make a triumphant return, which would be a nice end to the story.

Excel
August 21st, 2013, 6:54 PM
This would be great. A fantastic subject for a biopic. If any should be done it should be vince. Who would you have play him?

Andy
August 21st, 2013, 7:34 PM
Punk - between leaving home as a teen, running his own backyard fed, his brother stealing from him, being "adopted" into his friend's family, working about 43 jobs while wrestling, ruling the Indy scene, cracking his skull, having an ear drum destroyed in OVW, befriending Paul E, getting called up, winning & losing the belt, turning heel, 2 stables, pipe bomb, mega heel, and to top it all off: sleeping with a fuck ton of divas, well...c'mon, who wouldn't wanna watch this?

Any more info on these bits? I only know of Punk since early 2011 when I got back into WWE full time.

Kdestiny
August 21st, 2013, 7:38 PM
He has dated a ton of Divas so there's that.

As far as cracking his skull, he did that while in ROH and he was out for a while. I'd recommend watching his Documentary to see more about him it's really awesome :yes:

Andy
August 21st, 2013, 7:41 PM
I have watched it and really enjoyed it but I don't remember them saying much about that.

I know he's with Lita at the moment, who else has he dated?

takerson
August 21st, 2013, 7:41 PM
Any more info on these bits? I only know of Punk since early 2011 when I got back into WWE full time.

He cracked his skull on the indies and kept working through it because he couldn't afford not to. And he's slept with a lot of Divas including Lita, Beth Phoenix, Traci Brooks, Mickie James, Maria Kanellis, among others.

Andy
August 21st, 2013, 7:46 PM
Fair play.

The Law
August 21st, 2013, 7:46 PM
I'm thinking Christian Bale to play the 1980s 40ish Vince. There's a resemblance (back when Vince's hair was dark) and Christian Bale can do anything. He can use some version of his Batman voice to do Vince's gravely voice. And the scene of Bale singing "Stand Back" would be an instant classic.

"Sex, Lies, and Headlocks" starring Christian Bale. Michael Douglas would be good for a current Vince. Maybe Bryan Cranston for Vince from the 1990s. Vince McMahon is definitely the one who knocks.

mr sabu
August 21st, 2013, 10:40 PM
power uti

Mills
August 21st, 2013, 10:47 PM
RVD could be a fun movie

mth
August 21st, 2013, 10:50 PM
I have watched it and really enjoyed it but I don't remember them saying much about that.

I know he's with Lita at the moment, who else has he dated?

I think it might be expanded on in the extras/deleted scenes, if I remember correctly. He cracked his skull and finished he match and I don't think he got it checked out for a couple of weeks. He just sat in the basement in the dark while recovering and was supposed to take a year or so to recover and was back wrestling in about three months.

Jarrod1983
August 21st, 2013, 11:12 PM
Why not HBK? Shawn had a career brought up in the 80s so you'd still have all the stars. Plenty of fun scenes they could film with Shawn & Marty. A nice movie montage with some 80s heavy metal. You'd have the drama of his feud with Bret and the forming of the Kliq. You have the Syracuse beatdown and the comeback. The title reign and the curtain call. All fun scenes that could be explored in a movie. The retirement then the comeback. Plus the love story with Rebecca. Take my money.

wardy
August 22nd, 2013, 6:14 AM
100% Vince McMahom and possibly Triple H as well.

Beefy
August 22nd, 2013, 6:48 AM
If Ralph Macchio winning a children's karate tournament with a bruised leg is worth a film then surely Kurt Angle winning an Olympic Gold Medal with a broken freakin' neck is worth one??

Excel
August 22nd, 2013, 7:01 AM
It's true!

OD50
August 22nd, 2013, 8:04 AM
I'd say the correct answer is Bruno Sammartino. Just the prelude with Bruno escaping Italy from the Nazi's would be movie stuff material.

Kimura Kid
August 22nd, 2013, 9:45 AM
Bret - growing up in wrestling family, making the way to the top ahead of his siblings in Stampede, being taken over by Vince and WWF, Hart Foundation, Champion, Owen/Bulldog relationships, Shawn and their feud, Austin, Montreal, Ownes death, WCW and then Goldberg/Stroke, WWF/E v the Hart Family and divide of his family. Coming back, settling scores with Shawn/Vince and improved health, guys had like three wives so probably has some other shit going on there as well.

I'll always feel that Bret Harts story is the biggest tragedy in pro wrestling history. The guy should be remembered for being top 5 greatest pro wrestlers of all time, Shawn Michaels and Bret Harts careers had the potential to mirror one another. From the highest of highs to the lowest of lows. So much potential lost along the waste side. And he'll never be remembered for the things he should be......Just sad.

Jimmy Zero
August 22nd, 2013, 10:20 AM
Bret Hart isn't remembered as one of the best technical wrestlers of all time?

Kimura Kid
August 22nd, 2013, 11:11 AM
He is don't get me wrong. But I think he'll be remembered more for all the other shit. I think it's overshadowed his talent inside the ring unfortunately.

It shouldn't but I feel it has......Maybe that's just how I view it though. :dunno:

Jarrod1983
August 22nd, 2013, 11:15 AM
Bret is all time greatest. I sat front row and watched Bret battle Yoko in A Bay NY in 93. My buddy actually got his glasses! I remember Bret for the great wrestling but the conversation does always end up steered toward Montreal & Shawn. I agree that Vince would be a Good flick too!

Ochoa
August 23rd, 2013, 1:06 PM
Edge.

Kdestiny
August 23rd, 2013, 1:07 PM
Freddie Blassie

kangus
August 23rd, 2013, 4:23 PM
If Ralph Macchio winning a children's karate tournament with a bruised leg is worth a film then surely Kurt Angle winning an Olympic Gold Medal with a broken freakin' neck is worth one??
Now I want to see a Karate Kid-esque movie about Kurt Angle. They could even have a scene where Kurt's coach does the Mr.Miyagi warm hands trick to his neck right before the big gold medal match.

El_Dandy
August 24th, 2013, 5:20 PM
If Bruno were a jew, his story would win an academy award.

My choice would Cavernario Galindo

JRSlim21
August 24th, 2013, 6:57 PM
Sting?.... oh wait, let's burn that from memory.

Hero!
August 24th, 2013, 7:36 PM

Cracked his skull on the indies - refused medication and healed up by staying in his family's basement, sleeping for 20 hours a day and only waking up to eat wheat thins and drink Gatorade. Went back to wrestling full time in like 3 months.

had his eardrum shattered in OVW by a stiff shot. WWE wanted to give him a deaf gimmick, but Paul E wouldn't let them.

Has been in relationships with: Daffney, Traci Brooks, Mickie James, Maria, Beth Phoenix, and Lita.

Hero!
August 24th, 2013, 7:38 PM
Oh, peopl already answered :(

well, I still think it would be funny to see a movie about his crazy life. Dude worked at some weird science experiment lab when he was on the indies. Humor!!

Myles
August 24th, 2013, 8:00 PM
mick foley for sure... I also like the Vince ideas.

9-to-5 Jobber
August 25th, 2013, 12:57 PM

Also, it would have an awesome soundtrack.