PDA

View Full Version : Darren Young announces he's gay.

Lousaka Romon Polite
August 15th, 2013, 4:31 AM
Good for him. Does anyone care and how will it affect him?

The Rogerer
August 15th, 2013, 4:38 AM
If there is such a thing, it's a fairly good time for an 'athlete' to come out with the protests about what's happening in Russia and the Olympic boycotts. I'm not saying it was staged, but WWE corporate will be lapping this up. If I were to be cynical about it they are probably delighted that they have someone out and not too high up the card and he will be at every B A Star event.

I also trust that they're not going to Billy and Chuck this, so that's something.

mr sabu
August 15th, 2013, 4:40 AM
it's the hair

Lousaka Romon Polite
August 15th, 2013, 4:48 AM
He announced on TMZ.

G-Fresh
August 15th, 2013, 5:04 AM
The fruity dancing shit didn't give it away.

MMH
August 15th, 2013, 5:05 AM
Good for him. In a strange way it also could be a very good thing for his career.

Bennedy
August 15th, 2013, 5:24 AM
Does this mean a Prime Time Players push? I hope so.

Red Dog
August 15th, 2013, 5:25 AM
Black and Gay?

He will get a job at the BBC shortly.

MMH
August 15th, 2013, 5:30 AM
Just watched the interview, it was incredibly awkward.

I do think people make far too much of the "homophobic wrestling business" though and how being gay could cause problems for wrestlers in WWE. Vinces right hand man for many years was gay and there have been a handful of very powerful guys who are homosexual. I think in terms of employment opportunities it doesnt matter one iota.

Some people say that the fans may react badly to someone being gay. Times are different now though and even then I find that wrestling fans react to people acting gay rather than actually being gay. If anyone has a problem with gay people then they probably find wrestling "gay" anyway and dont watch it.

the_man_diva
August 15th, 2013, 5:30 AM
It was weird, three hours ago I was just on the phone with a transgender wrestler that I compete with and we were discussing how our friend, Hudson Envy, an openly lesbian wrestler out here on the west coast has a WWE tryout very soon ... we both agreed that a female coming out would be easier and more accepted, yada, yada, yada and boom, this breaks out ... good for Darren. I'm very impressed and I'm so completely happy that I was around as a fan to actually see an active member of the roster come out. I just hope they keep him as he is, and don't "fruitify" him and turn him into a Rico or an Orlando Jordan.

Bennedy
August 15th, 2013, 5:37 AM
Black and Gay?

He will get a job at the BBC shortly.

The next Doctor Who.

JP
August 15th, 2013, 5:44 AM
Good lad.

:)

Fanny Batter
August 15th, 2013, 6:30 AM
There should be no stigma attached to homosexuality anyway, it's 2013. Good for Darren in seeing that hiding something like that is unneccessary nowadays, as we are growing wiser as a society fortunately. This is following the first couple of openly gay MMA fighters, admittedly ladies but still progress.

JP
August 15th, 2013, 6:35 AM
There's been an openly gay MMA fighter around for years; Shad Smith.

Vice
August 15th, 2013, 6:47 AM
GSP too.

Rip
August 15th, 2013, 6:52 AM
He's a pretty talented guy who by all accounts is a damn hard worker who takes advice and looks to improve, the PTP tag team is a good gimmick and pairing who should be tag Champs soon, more interesting is how this will impact long term on his career and on his singles chances.

I like the guy, his sexuality makes no difference to me what matters is if he's good enough and, to me, he's certainly capable of being a strong upper mid-carder for a long time in the business, if this can get him a push and a payday then good for him, it's really no bigger deal to me than Punks choice to be alcohol and drug free or DBs time as a lunatic veggie.

Plus considering how matter of fact he was about it I'm guessing everyone in the locker room and the office probably knew anyway.

Andy
August 15th, 2013, 7:43 AM
Camp hairdresser gimmick in 3, 2...

chatty
August 15th, 2013, 7:44 AM
Good for him.

Just hope its not setting ideas of in Vinces head whereby he's gonna turn him into the biggest gay parody of all time.

Dead.Man.Walking
August 15th, 2013, 7:45 AM
GSP too.

Lol

Dead.Man.Walking
August 15th, 2013, 7:46 AM
http://cdn2.cagepotato.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/gsp_dancing_tvshow2.gif

chatty
August 15th, 2013, 7:48 AM
Its a good sign for humankind though that people are coming out and its not being made a huge deal of. It means its getting accepted as normal and society aint being as bigoted as they once were. This year the boxer Cristobal Cruz announced he was gay - he was the first active boxer in the history of the sport to come out, that amazed me somewhat as the sport has gone on for centuries and whilst its obvious why no one had come out in times gone by it still surprised me it took till 2013 before someone did.

JP
August 15th, 2013, 7:54 AM
Camp hairdresser gimmick in 3, 2...

His gimmick has always been pretty camp though, been a touch of the Johnny B Badd all through his WWE career so far.

That's probably not going to change either. I just hope well meaning people don't jump on it as a bad sign.

Psycho666Soldier
August 15th, 2013, 8:21 AM
Awesome news. In a weird way, you could almost tell. Like, I never would have called him out as gay, but knowing it was him that came out, I'm not too surprised. Great to hear he did so with no fear, and it only helps our community further itself.

Slare
August 15th, 2013, 8:25 AM
I think this may result in a big push for him. WWE would be smart to capitalize on this with it being a political hot topic just now. If they really want to show they're able to B A STAR and all of that nonsense, then at least treat it with a bit of dignity rather than turning him into Boy George Kanyon.

Wasn't there a thread about this a few months ago actually>?

Andy
August 15th, 2013, 8:46 AM
I can see it now. Pancake Patterson returns on Raw and derides Darren for coming out. "You ain't no nephew of mine now son". Titus vs Darren for the main event of WMXXX.

Jenova
August 15th, 2013, 8:52 AM
Respect for him. Quite a shock because wasn't he dating Tamina Snuka at one point?

Hotbeef-Injection
August 15th, 2013, 9:42 AM
I think this has potential benefits for his career. I've always liked Darren Young and I think the Prime Time Players are a very good tag team.

What I don't want is for Vince to freak out and start either worrying about sponsors or thrusting this is the limelight waaaay too much. Mention it, say they're proud of his decision to come out, maybe give them a title reign for good PR and then just leave it be.

Glen
August 15th, 2013, 9:55 AM
Respect for him. Quite a shock because wasn't he dating Tamina Snuka at one point?

There's a joke here somewhere...

Glen
August 15th, 2013, 9:58 AM
The way it's reported on the front page of Rajah pisses me off. "Because there's physical contact and so little clothing..." then it should be a bigger problem right? Ugh. Who gives a fuck. It's work. It's the same for straight people as well.

Fair play to the lad.

That interviewer deserves a slap mind.

The Law
August 15th, 2013, 10:02 AM
I definitely made a thread about this back after Jason Collins (the gay NBA player) came out. I'm happy this has happened, as it's yet another sign of progress. I don't expect a big deal to be made of this, I don't expect his gimmick to change, and honestly I don't even think they'll a acknowledge it on TV. There are gay people in every profession, and now we can scratch wrestling off the list of professions in which gay people have felt forced to keep who they were a secret. There's not really a ton to say about this, because it's 2013 in the United States of America and thankfully homosexuality has become accepted by the general population. I'm glad he did this, it will help inspire gay men and women who were hesitant to enter the wrestling business, or who thought that being a wrestler meant they had to hide their true selves. Just another day in history.

Hero!
August 15th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Hopefully this encourages all the other gays to come out now.

mth
August 15th, 2013, 10:45 AM
I had the PTP characters as a gay couple in my mind for awhile so I actually chuckled a bit about this. Awesome and good for him. There's definitely positive potential for this if they choose to do anything with it on television. Wouldn't be bad if they didn't do anything, as well, and just let him be.

Beer-Belly
August 15th, 2013, 10:54 AM
They rarely handle this kind of thing with subtlety, so they'd do well to stay away from it. Not to mention, many of the audiences around the country cheer Zeb Colter because "boo Messcans". I can only imagine how they'd react to a gay wrestler.

Cewsh
August 15th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Huge fucking deal to have gay representation in a legendarily anti-gay industry. Really thrilled about this.

The_Mike
August 15th, 2013, 11:08 AM
The way it's reported on the front page of Rajah pisses me off. "Because there's physical contact and so little clothing..." then it should be a bigger problem right? Ugh. Who gives a fuck. It's work. It's the same for straight people as well.

By that logic, Trish Stratus should have had a problem wrestling The Rock (or vice versa). I'm pretty sure he touched her bottom while giving her a bodyslam once!! Gay people can quite obviously be professional enough to not jump the bones of somebody they are wrestling, just like everyone else. You're right, it's a pretty stupid way for Mr. Reporter to put it.

They rarely handle this kind of thing with subtlety, so they'd do well to stay away from it. Not to mention, many of the audiences around the country cheer Zeb Colter because "boo Messcans". I can only imagine how they'd react to a gay wrestler.

That's my concern as well. Wrestling seems to be straddling two audiences right now, and I worry that enough people getting mad at 'the gay wrestler being shoved down our throats' could cause a very unsavoury backlash. The more modern audience, like the net-savvy young adults and especially the kids who love Cena, probably won't give a toss, but there has always been that more backward element that the wrestling industry in general keeps pandering to for some reason. It'll be hard to avoid causing a ruckus over this when the company has purposefully played on Tea Party stereotypes already.

Beer-Belly
August 15th, 2013, 11:13 AM
From the main page:

Last night, WWE Superstar Darren Young revealed to a TMZ.com reporter that he is gay.

TMZ caught up with John Cena in Los Angeles and asked him about Young's decision to come out publicly. Cena initially said that there were no openly gay wrestlers in WWE - but when he was told that Darren Young had "come out" earlier that night, he said, "Oh, wonderful."

"I know Darren personally. Darren's a great guy. That's a very bold move for him. And congratulations for him for actually finally doing it."

Cena says he's proud of Young, because his own brother is gay and knows how hard it can be to come out.

As for how WWE will handle the situation - Cena says WWE won't care one way or another.

"For us, it's entertainment ... and if you're entertaining you shouldn't be judged by race, creed, color or sexuality ... as long as you're entertaining."

Melly
August 15th, 2013, 11:36 AM
My first reaction was, "Aw and he's cute too" :lol: All happiness to him. He's a great wrestler.

VHS
August 15th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Good for him! Still a big fan of his, and something like this takes serious courage.

Bennedy
August 15th, 2013, 11:58 AM
I honestly hope there are no idiot fans out there who will chant stuff at him now. They should be chucked out if they do.

MMH
August 15th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Huge fucking deal to have gay representation in a legendarily anti-gay industry. Really thrilled about this.

How is it anti gay? I have never understood this viewpoint.

Newf
August 15th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Awesome news. In a weird way, you could almost tell. Like, I never would have called him out as gay, but knowing it was him that came out, I'm not too surprised.

This. There's some superstars you'd go "WHAT?! NO WAY!" and would never in a million years suspect. Kanyon, for example, surprised me. With Darren I thought "Yeah, I could see it..."

I had the PTP characters as a gay couple in my mind for awhile so I actually chuckled a bit about this.

'shipping now, are you?

In all seriousness, watching that video I kind of worried "Did he not realize this would be on TMZ and is he pranking the guy?" cuz of how conveniently the response came from the question, and the way Darren was smiling and laughing at first, but I think more than anything it is A) a hot button issue right now (and I know how those reports like to rely on go-to/stock questions) and B) Darren probably felt a little nervous and also emboldened at the same time. I know I sometimes laugh when I'm nervous. As he goes on you can see he kind of calms down and gives some heartfelt answers. At the end of the day it's good that he felt comfortable enough to come out and compelled to do so when that opportunity presented itself. He could've just given some company-line-toeing answer but it seems he thought "Now's my chance, I need to say this" and good for him.

Kimura Kid
http://i.imgur.com/W0jmZ.gif

Hero!
I'm really starting to wonder if he'll address this on air at all. I'd love if he didn't just acting all FLAMING just because he's gay, but I think it would be great for him to just say a little something along the lines of "I am finally being true to myself and I hope that I can encourage more people to do the same."

I just really, REALLY hope no one ever uses this on him in a promo to get heel heat.

Cewsh
August 15th, 2013, 12:16 PM
How is it anti gay? I have never understood this viewpoint.

Well we could get into a debate about how it has been presented on television, but I meant more the audience and the wrestlers themselves. All American sports have been anti-gay until recently.

The_Mike
August 15th, 2013, 12:19 PM
I just really, REALLY hope no one ever uses this on him in a promo to get heel heat.

I think it could be done all right if handled correctly. Heels are meant to be bad guys, after all. As long as the company presents it as bullshit and unacceptable, then I don't think it would be a huge problem. And obviously, there's a difference between somebody like Punk needling him with a barb like "bet your mom is sad now she won't have any grandchildren" and Bradshaw calling him a fairy or a fag.

The Rogerer
August 15th, 2013, 12:20 PM
What a bizarre example

Hero!
August 15th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Yeah, it wouldn't be too bad if someone just hits him with a little jab, but if they come flat out and insult him, I'd be quite pissed.

Im honestly so happy for Darren and this business right now. I really hope more of the closeted guys just come out and say "Yeah, we're gay, we're proud, and we're wrestlers." I like that Triple H and Steph have already commended Darren for his bravery on twitter. This is seriously awesome.

MMH
August 15th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Well we could get into a debate about how it has been presented on television, but I meant more the audience and the wrestlers themselves. All American sports have been anti-gay until recently.

Well certainly when it comes to TV. The movies industry also puts out some horrendous gay stereotypes it doesnt mean the industry is anti gay, far from it infact!

I cant say I have heard any instance of gay bashing from wrestlers, though im sure like in all walks of life certain idiots feel that way. Jim Barnett, Pat Patterson, Terry Garvin are three guys who had very very important roles in the industry and all three were gay. I dont think there is an agenda there at all or ever has been. Even Steve Lombardi (Im not 100% sure he is gay come to think of it, but he supposed to be of course) has been employed for years. Any shoot interviews I have heard with wrestlers the Patterson question always comes up and it didnt seem to bother any of them either. I have always thought that wrestling gets harshly slated for being anti gay (and anti black come to think of it).

Yeah the audience I guess in certain ways. Most gay wrestlers have been portrayed as heels though so I dunno if the heat comes from being "gay" or being heels.

The_Mike
August 15th, 2013, 12:29 PM
What a bizarre example

Which one?

Yeah, it wouldn't be too bad if someone just hits him with a little jab, but if they come flat out and insult him, I'd be quite pissed.

It's definitely something they need to be careful of, nobody should feel like they have to put up with abuse in the workplace, even for the sake of entertainment. Probably best to steer clear of angles like that anyway, but I think they could get away with it if done with care. Got to get heat somehow. WWE's problem is usually forgetting to have in-universe consequences for bad guys who berate and belittle people, like the whole Thickie Mickie fiasco.

Im honestly so happy for Darren and this business right now. I really hope more of the closeted guys just come out and say "Yeah, we're gay, we're proud, and we're wrestlers." I like that Triple H and Steph have already commended Darren for his bravery on twitter. This is seriously awesome.

:yes: Indeed it is.

LOCONUT
August 15th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Wouldnt surprise me if the mid west and south crowds make his nights difficult. Christian Republicans tend to not be to keen on social progress.

Bert
August 15th, 2013, 12:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ZZTUcjG.png

I guess he'll change it to two things.

Beer-Belly
August 15th, 2013, 12:39 PM
His character can still like women.

Hero!
August 15th, 2013, 12:40 PM
A gay man can't portray a character who likes women. Just look at NPH on HIMYM...oh, wait.

Tainted Eclipse
August 15th, 2013, 12:42 PM
I had the PTP characters as a gay couple in my mind for awhile

i bet so mth

but yeah thats cool for him. as absurdly as wrestling has treated gay characters on screen, many seem to have made out fine in the business, patterson being a big example of course. i'm actually really interested to see where they go with this. i could see them giving him a push for the PR, i could see them keeping him exactly where he is now, i could unfortunately see them cutting down on what little airtime PTP have because they don't think the dynamic would "work" anymore, at the same time i could see them changing absolutely nothing about darren young's character under the pretense that WWE wants to be more "hollywood" and gay actors can easily portray straight characters.

Beer-Belly
August 15th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Drudge linked to this article so expect some vile shit to be written in the comments section.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/08/15/wwe-wrestler-darren-young-announces-hes-gay/

Slare
August 15th, 2013, 1:20 PM
Interesting to see Coach in that article say there were 'Several' openly gay wrestlers on the roster when he was around. I think it's great that he came out in such a , well, a low-key and matter of fact way. Really accentuates how much of a non-issue it 'should' be now.

Bennedy
August 15th, 2013, 1:31 PM
Darren Young is trending on Twitter. Shame there is not an episode of Raw on so they can mention this fact.

Zyphlin
August 15th, 2013, 1:51 PM
Won't change the fact that when I hear his name the first thing I'll think of is still "Black Cena"

Hero!
August 15th, 2013, 2:09 PM
Young's first tweet since coming out:

@DarrenYoungWWE: Never b bullied n2 silence.Never allow yourself 2 be made a victim.Accept no ones definition of your life; DEFINE YOURSELF- Harvey Fierstein

WWE.com issued a statement in support of D Young as well. Awesome stuff.

The Law
August 15th, 2013, 2:16 PM
This is pretty much going as expected. Everyone says nice things, then we can all get on with our lives because it just isn't that big of a deal at this point. Vince McMahon has always struck me as a guy who would be reasonably tolerant, given that he worked so closely with Pat Patterson over the years. If nothing else, Vince definitely will put up with anyone that makes him money.

I really hope nothing changes with Young as a wrestler. The fact that Fred Rosser the person is gay doesn't mean that Darren Young the character has to be gay. Honestly, very little about the Darren Young character (or most wrestling characters) suggested that he was either gay or straight. Like, if Bret Hart were gay it wouldn't have changed anything about the Hitman character, or Rock or Steve Austin. Particularly in this PG era, WWE storylines are almost never of a sexual nature. So the sexuality of a character just doesn't really come up most of the time.

I don't think anything good or positive would come from Darren Young's character being gay. Wrestling is not the place where social issues are handled in a delicate, sensitive way. Best thing we could probably hope for would be Vito wearing a dress, where it wasn't particularly offensive. That's pretty much the ceiling for pro wrestling right now.

Cewsh
August 15th, 2013, 2:18 PM
This is pretty much going as expected. Everyone says nice things, then we can all get on with our lives because it just isn't that big of a deal at this point.

I don't think that's the right way to put it. It IS a big deal. It just isn't something negative to most people anymore.

Morrison
August 15th, 2013, 2:23 PM
I don't think that's the right way to put it. It IS a big deal. It just isn't something negative to most people anymore.

agreed. ideally, yeah, it's not that big a deal and in theory, yeah, shouldn't be a big deal, but it's asinine to be dismissive and try and sweep it under the rug just because YOU are tolerant. you're not the one that stuff like this helps, from either side of the argument.

The_Mike
August 15th, 2013, 2:54 PM
Surely the big deal here is that we now live in a world where a wrestler feels perfectly fine telling a camera crew "oh yeah, I'm gay"? We didn't live in that world yesterday.

Cewsh
August 15th, 2013, 2:58 PM
Surely the big deal here is that we now live in a world where a wrestler feels perfectly fine telling a camera crew "oh yeah, I'm gay"? We didn't live in that world yesterday.

That is great. But there are a lot of things that make this a big deal. The possibility that it will allow other gay wrestlers or athletes to feel comfortable following his example, the fact that children or adults who had never had much experience with gay people will see this tv show they love endorsing a gay man lovingly in a way that might change how they see gay people altogether, and, maybe most importantly, this adds one more name to the very short list of gay role models for aspiring wrestlers, athletes or anything else.

It's a big deal, not because of what it means for Darren Young, but because of what it means for the next Darren Young.

The_Mike
August 15th, 2013, 2:58 PM
Drudge linked to this article so expect some vile shit to be written in the comments section.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/08/15/wwe-wrestler-darren-young-announces-hes-gay/

And there they are.

The sight of uranus, drives queerrrs insanus...

The_Mike
August 15th, 2013, 3:00 PM
That is great. But there are a lot of things that make this a big deal. The possibility that it will allow other gay wrestlers or athletes to feel comfortable following his example, the fact that children or adults who had never had much experience with gay people will see this tv show they love endorsing a gay man lovingly in a way that might change how they see gay people altogether, and, maybe most importantly, this adds one more name to the very short list of gay role models for aspiring wrestlers, athletes or anything else.

It's a big deal, not because of what it means for Darren Young, but because of what it means for the next Darren Young.

That is pretty much what I meant. If Young's in a place where he can do it, all those next steps follow.

Hero!
August 15th, 2013, 3:05 PM

This. This right here. Darren Young just showed everyone else in the back that you can go ahead and open up about your sexuality and guess what? Nobody is gonna treat you differently. The company will openly wish you the best and applaud your bravery. Your sexuality doesn't matter - your work ethic does.

Andy
August 15th, 2013, 3:58 PM
Call me a cynic, but I don't think WWE will be able to let this go without doing something with it. I can definitely see them mentioning it on Raw, congratulating Darren, PTPs come out and get a nice reception then Zeb comes out and starts asking what's wrong with the country. Something like that.

It's obviously great for Darren and possibly others that he's come out but it really shouldn't change Darren Young the character. Could easily become a big mess.

mth
August 15th, 2013, 4:26 PM
Josh Matthews: "Very proud to be apart of @WWE today. Tremendous show of courage from @DarrenYoungWWE"

David Otunga: "I'm proud of @DarrenYoungWWE for his courageous decision. He's a genuinely good dude and one of the most talented performers in @WWE"

Drew McIntyre: "History in our business will remember @DarrenYoungWWE as a pioneer with the courage to say proud, this is who I am. Hell of a talent & a man"

Renee Young: "Happy for @DarrenYoungWWE! Big moment for him and everyone else. Happy for you, bud!"

Curt Hawkins: "Wow! @DarrenYoungWWE is fearless. This is a historic day for the sport of professional wrestling. Good for you D-Young!"

Tony Dawson: "“@StephMcMahon: Congratulations to @DarrenYoungWWE for being the first openly gay WWE Superstar!” I support D Young 100%."

Evan Bourne: "Nothing but love and respect for my dude @DarrenYoungWWE!"

Zack Ryder: "Proud of you bro @DarrenYoungWWE"

Titus O'Neal: "I'm VERY PROUD of @DarrenYoungWWE He's been like Family 2Me&My Kids And that won't Change!
#ImInFullSupportOfDarren"

Triple H: "Congratulations, @DarrenYoungWWE for living YOUR life, YOUR way. #proud"

Stephaine: "Congratulations to @DarrenYoungWWE for being the first openly gay WWE Superstar!"

Rosa Mendes: "@DarrenYoungWWE I'm so proud of you!! See you this week!!"

Gregory Helms: "Good job @DarrenYoungWWE Respect!! Somewhere my friend Kanyon is smiling down."

Matt Morgan: ENORMOUS courage out of @DarrenYoungWWE today! U should be very proud of urself Darren! #WhatAGreatExampleForOthers

Defrost
August 15th, 2013, 4:31 PM
This. This right here. Darren Young just showed everyone else in the back that you can go ahead and open up about your sexuality and guess what? Nobody is gonna treat you differently. The company will openly wish you the best and applaud your bravery. Your sexuality doesn't matter - your work ethic does.

Pat Patterson, who has been openly gay forever, has been the right hand man of the most powerful man in the history of Professional Wrestling for 35 years. Not really sure where this notion of homosexual discrimination on Pro Wrestling is coming from.

Badger
August 15th, 2013, 4:35 PM
There's a reason he's called "Mr No Days Off." Pat Patterson came.............up with the nickname.

StoneColdWWE316
August 15th, 2013, 4:36 PM
Good for Darren and it takes alot of courage to do what he did. I doubt they will give him a Goldust ot Rico type character now as some have said. Also glad WWE is supporting him on this too.

Stanford
August 15th, 2013, 4:40 PM

Bret Hart tweeted the exact opposite opinion. Does that surprise you?

Beer-Belly
August 15th, 2013, 5:24 PM
Darren Young the gay, I respect him for he honestCan't imagine anybody topping that.

Beer-Belly
August 15th, 2013, 5:26 PM

Pro wrestling is far more accepting of homosexuality than most sports.

Cewsh
August 15th, 2013, 5:27 PM

I saw that earlier. He's long been a passive endorser of gay rights, so if he says that wrestling has been positive in this area for a long time then I'm grateful to hear it from someone who has been in the locker rooms and knows the people. But if he means on television then he's a big stupidhead.

Tyson
August 15th, 2013, 6:05 PM
Huge props to Fred "Darren Young" Rosser. :beer::beer::beer:

Slowly but surely I hope that we are getting to the point where ones sexuality is irrelevant, where everyone is accepted rather than judged.

Andy
August 15th, 2013, 6:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/W0jmZ.gif

I really do love this gif.

JP
August 15th, 2013, 7:07 PM
Josh Matthews: "Very proud to be apart of @WWE today. Tremendous show of courage from @DarrenYoungWWE"

David Otunga: "I'm proud of @DarrenYoungWWE for his courageous decision. He's a genuinely good dude and one of the most talented performers in @WWE"

Drew McIntyre: "History in our business will remember @DarrenYoungWWE as a pioneer with the courage to say proud, this is who I am. Hell of a talent & a man"

Renee Young: "Happy for @DarrenYoungWWE! Big moment for him and everyone else. Happy for you, bud!"

Curt Hawkins: "Wow! @DarrenYoungWWE is fearless. This is a historic day for the sport of professional wrestling. Good for you D-Young!"

Tony Dawson: "“@StephMcMahon: Congratulations to @DarrenYoungWWE for being the first openly gay WWE Superstar!” I support D Young 100%."

Evan Bourne: "Nothing but love and respect for my dude @DarrenYoungWWE!"

Zack Ryder: "Proud of you bro @DarrenYoungWWE"

Titus O'Neal: "I'm VERY PROUD of @DarrenYoungWWE He's been like Family 2Me&My Kids And that won't Change!
#ImInFullSupportOfDarren"

Triple H: "Congratulations, @DarrenYoungWWE for living YOUR life, YOUR way. #proud"

Stephaine: "Congratulations to @DarrenYoungWWE for being the first openly gay WWE Superstar!"

Rosa Mendes: "@DarrenYoungWWE I'm so proud of you!! See you this week!!"

Gregory Helms: "Good job @DarrenYoungWWE Respect!! Somewhere my friend Kanyon is smiling down."

Matt Morgan: ENORMOUS courage out of @DarrenYoungWWE today! U should be very proud of urself Darren! #WhatAGreatExampleForOthers

I don't think I've ever been prouder to be a wrestling fan than I am today.

Just wonderful.

Judas Iscariot
August 15th, 2013, 7:30 PM
Oh, hai Cewsh:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/aug/15/darren-young-wwe-wrestler-comes-out

You think you're so fucking cool because The Guardian mentions one of your tweets.

Fuck you.

RuneEdge
August 15th, 2013, 7:33 PM
:lol:
Nice one, Cewsh. :yes:

Judas Iscariot
August 15th, 2013, 7:35 PM
I think it's great that he's out. I also assume that some guys in the back knew already, but you know what happens when you assume.

Good on him, though honestly I didn't initially give as much of a shit as maybe I should because I think a person's sexuality is a non-issue.

Reading comment sections on different websites covering the story sends me into a frothing rage.

When did "HETEROPHOBIA" become a catch phrase for asshole "anti-fag" pieces of shit to describe some sort of mental issue with gays?

JP
August 15th, 2013, 7:35 PM
Ahahahahahahahahaha, AMAZING!

Judas Iscariot
August 15th, 2013, 7:36 PM
He could have provided a link to this Rajah thread, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Always hogging the fucking spotlight.

Fucking Cewsh.

mimozed
August 15th, 2013, 7:38 PM
I love it wrestling is like bill and Teds bogus journey the music brought everyone together in harmony now the WWE is the real life example are there any more social barriers left to break through so we can all just have fun no matter what?

RuneEdge
August 15th, 2013, 7:38 PM
Yeah, Cewsh. We could do with the rub. Get us over.

Judas Iscariot
August 15th, 2013, 7:41 PM
Yeah, Cewsh. Give us the rub. :naughty:

Matthew
August 15th, 2013, 7:47 PM
hopefully this needs to a new stable

the gay union

the gay nation of domination

Matthew
face stables

JP
the gay nation of domination

Gaytion of Domination.

Andy
August 15th, 2013, 7:49 PM
It's an unfortunate coincidence that Darren Bent has been trending for most of the day along with Darren Young.

JP
August 15th, 2013, 7:52 PM
It's an unfortunate coincidence that Darren Bent has been trending for most of the day along with Darren Young.

I'd take Bent over Young any day.

Hang on a minute...

Mark Hammer
August 15th, 2013, 7:54 PM
Not surprised honestly, but good on him for having the courage to come out.

Cewsh
August 15th, 2013, 9:05 PM
Oh, hai Cewsh:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/aug/15/darren-young-wwe-wrestler-comes-out

You think you're so fucking cool because The Guardian mentions one of your tweets.

Fuck you.

He could have provided a link to this Rajah thread, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Always hogging the fucking spotlight.

Fucking Cewsh.

Yeah, Cewsh. We could do with the rub. Get us over.

Yeah, Cewsh. Give us the rub. :naughty:

I had no idea about this until Rip PMed me. The guy didn't ask me to use it or anything. But I am proud to be used as a source alongside such legends of the business as @xmaslights and @ajleefan89.

MerLuv
August 15th, 2013, 9:31 PM
My favorite comment came from a dude on Deadspin who wrote, "It's the Main Event... Not the main STEVEnt!"

Reading the comments on the HuffPo story it's clear that there are some terrible effing people in this world.

Vandal
August 15th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Good for him!

Jarrod1983
August 16th, 2013, 12:27 AM
Imagine the heel HEAT that Titus could get for turning on Darren now. Too bad we are in the days of the politically correct WWE. Of course if it was still the old days I'd venture Darren wouldn't be so quick to out himself. Good for him though. Just a waste of a money angle that could get them BOTH over.

Bluegunn
August 16th, 2013, 3:39 AM
Vince won't fruity up his character because of this. He refused with Orlando Jordan, and did not do it with Kanyon. Just let Young keep his character unless it gets too stale. But only ironic thing is how Cena's actual brother is gay and Young looks a lot like Cena.

MMH
August 16th, 2013, 5:45 AM
Vince won't fruity up his character because of this. He refused with Orlando Jordan, and did not do it with Kanyon. Just let Young keep his character unless it gets too stale. But only ironic thing is how Cena's actual brother is gay and Young looks a lot like Cena.

Other than dressing Kanyon up as Boy George of course...

Hero!
August 16th, 2013, 12:31 PM
http://www.wwe.com/videos/darren-young-appears-on-the-today-show-to-discuss-his-recent-announcement-of-his-26140700

Darren Young on the Today show.

A picture of Darren and his boyfriend of two years
http://www.pwmania.com/artman/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/darren-youngbf.jpg

VHS
August 16th, 2013, 9:43 PM
Great guy. :yes:

mth
August 16th, 2013, 9:51 PM
In regards to the locker room knowing, both Randy Orton and Big Show said in interviews they did not know Young was gay prior to his coming out. Titus O'Neil, on the other hand, said he did.

Mills
August 16th, 2013, 11:15 PM
His tag partner should know, but if Young did not want everyone to know, its not a big deal

Kneeneighbor
August 16th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Why should his tag partner know?

TimeSplitter
August 16th, 2013, 11:49 PM
I think Titus should know because they spend so much time together. Not should in the sense that he HAS TO KNOW, but should in the sense that they are close friends and are comfortable sharing intimate parts of there lives together.

Very proud of Darren for making a rather historic mark in this industry.

Vice
August 17th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Why should his tag partner know?

Ain't you ever seen a cop movie, yo? You ain't a real partner unless you can trust the other mothafucka with yo' LIFE. No secrets between partners.

On another note, the dude now has a job with WWE until he dies.

Myles
August 17th, 2013, 12:36 AM
a gay guy on my facebook was posting about this...

who the fuck is Darren young? good on him I guess for coming out, but never heard of the guy. was he in that money tag team where they paid people to do dumb shit? those guys looked a little more gangster though.

I haven't watched raw in a couple years so no clue who this guy is. Is he a big star or just a jobber ?

mth
August 17th, 2013, 12:57 AM
Behold the power of the internet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_Young_%28wrestler%29

virms
August 17th, 2013, 1:08 AM
What is this internet you speak of?

JP
August 17th, 2013, 1:45 AM
The next time Darren Young wrestles, if he gets a positive reception from the crowd I will be in serious danger of blubbering like a little girl.

Myles
August 17th, 2013, 2:40 AM
pretty sure he is gonna get heckled big time, I like the idea of him not receiving a positive response and turning HEEL.

he should become entitled and use the race card as well as the gay card to say that he isn't getting respected and should hate on white America

he could be like bret hart where he was cheered in Canada but booed in the us. except Darren young could be a face in progressive decent places like seattle, cali, new York etc. and be a monster heel in backwards fucked up republican strongholds like texas and other white trash hell holes. Have him fued with some republican shit like jbl and they do the heel/face swap thing depending on where they are. that is how you draw, although I have never seen this guy so I don't know if he is charismatic enough to pull this off.

Myles
August 17th, 2013, 2:43 AM
Behold the power of the internet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_Young_%28wrestler%29

don't ever talk to me like that again

MikeHunt
August 17th, 2013, 4:23 AM
Anyone else find it a bit funny that a lot of the superstars are saying they're behind Darren?

ARE YOU NOW!!!!!

mr sabu
August 17th, 2013, 5:53 AM
well mike

im sure there was plenty of people behind pat patterson when he came out as well

Badger
August 17th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Honestly don't think they'll making a storyline out of this, Young's just not high profile enough. If anything, it's Titus they should be pushing more because he is superior.

BullyRayStoleMyLunch
August 17th, 2013, 12:51 PM
First off, I'd like to echo the sentiments already stated: this is a big, positive step, and one I quite honestly thought was at least a decade away, so MASSIVE kudos to Young.

I saw a few messages towards the beginning of this thread advocating a PTP push, title run etc, on the basis of this... While I'm fully aware my opinion may be unpopular, I think that would be a mistake EQUALLY as big as trying to get heel heat from it. In fact, giving him a push that is transparently, clear as day, based on the admirable openness of his sexuality, rather than his talent or merit to the WWE Universe, has the possibility to harm his standing in the longer term.

And that, to quote DDP, would be a BAD thing.

JT4104
August 17th, 2013, 12:57 PM
time to bring in orlando jordan to team up with him then...it only makes sense.

Vice
August 17th, 2013, 1:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/6Ne8eev.gif

Matthew
August 17th, 2013, 1:18 PM
to expand on that (and the video is from 2010 :wtf:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8LEUVrvdiY

Kimura Kid
August 17th, 2013, 1:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/6Ne8eev.gif

WTF? Explanation please?

MikeHunt
August 17th, 2013, 1:25 PM
he's gay and tna are stupid.

Newf
August 17th, 2013, 5:42 PM
WTF? Explanation please?

He's bizarre, he's eccentric.

9-to-5 Jobber
August 17th, 2013, 5:47 PM

I had no idea about this until Rip PMed me. The guy didn't ask me to use it or anything.

I still can't get used to journalists using Twitter to quote people (as opposed to, like, contacting the person for an original comment). Either way, that's cool that Cewsh was in the article.

The more I think about it, this is a really good thing for Young's career. While it's unlikely to hotshot him into the main event, it's gotta be good insurance against being future endeavored. I had the TV on that day, and this news came up three times in about an hour.

I still can't believe how far the LGBT community has come in such a short time. Two or three years ago, I would have not believed that gay marriage would have a majority of Americans' support, and pro athletes would be coming out on a near-regular basis. Despite how sickened I get over some of the racial animosity that persists, this is one issue that makes me damn proud of this country and its people.

_me
August 17th, 2013, 9:41 PM
I still can't believe how far the LGBT community has come in such a short time. Two or three years ago, I would have not believed that gay marriage would have a majority of Americans' support, and pro athletes would be coming out on a near-regular basis. Despite how sickened I get over some of the racial animosity that persists, this is one issue that makes me damn proud of this country and its people.

Well it does take a lot of time to hate of the gays AND the blacks. And we know the anti-Obama stuff isn't going anywhere for a few more years.

It won't surprise me in 2016 when "they" will be upset about women doing men's job and ruining families and tamp down on the racial stuff. But it won't have anything do to with Hillary running. Just like the racial stuff has nothing to do with Obama. Total coincidence.

MikeHunt
August 17th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Oh, hai Cewsh:

Fuck you.

thats actually really fucking cool cewsh.

Good wee bit of free pr for you! Any more hits on your twitter or web page since?

G-Fresh
August 17th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Well it does take a lot of time to hate of the gays AND the blacks. And we know the anti-Obama stuff isn't going anywhere for a few more years.

It won't surprise me in 2016 when "they" will be upset about women doing men's job and ruining families and tamp down on the racial stuff. But it won't have anything do to with Hillary running. Just like the racial stuff has nothing to do with Obama. Total coincidence.

"You" are as fucking stupid as "your" progressive propaganda is.

Cewsh
August 17th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Thanks, man. No new Twitter followers, but we did get about a thousand random hits from Google the next day. Not sure it's connected, but hey.

MikeHunt
August 17th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Good stuff. That's not a bad wee number.

_me
August 17th, 2013, 11:12 PM
"You" are as fucking stupid as "your" progressive propaganda is.

I am not surprised you don't agree. We can't all idolize men who shoot unarmed minors.

Bert
August 18th, 2013, 3:11 AM
I'm pretty sure he had arms.

stylepoints
August 19th, 2013, 7:44 PM
Gay? Straight? Hey, gotta stick it somewhere :dunno: Is it courageous for a celebrity to come out in 2013 though? No. 2-3 years ago? Yeah, it would have been. Hope the wrestling world can move on from this and not make this guy's sexuality a focal point. EDIT: Don't get me wrong. Sex is ALWAYS a focal point.

Cewsh
August 19th, 2013, 8:19 PM
Gay? Straight? Hey, gotta stick it somewhere :dunno: Is it courageous for a celebrity to come out in 2013 though? No.

Bullshit.

stylepoints
August 20th, 2013, 7:18 AM
If you're some dude off the streets coming out in your personal life that's a different story. Darren knew for PR reasons alone he was safe from any repercussions from the company or it's employees. If he gets fired next month, he'd be the richest ex WWE employee in history. Coming out in 2013 if you're a celebrity will not hurt your career, only give you a huge deal of short term exposure, which in today's media will be all positive. Would Darren Young ever in his entire life end up on Today Show if he never came out? When's the last time he got a win besides last night? Little risk, huge gain. You're a fool if you think otherwise.

JP
August 20th, 2013, 7:27 AM
If you're some dude off the streets coming out in your personal life that's a different story. Darren knew for PR reasons alone he was safe from any repercussions from the company or it's employees. If he gets fired next month, he'd be the richest ex WWE employee in history. Coming out in 2013 if you're a celebrity will not hurt your career, only give you a huge deal of short term exposure, which in today's media will be all positive. Would Darren Young ever in his entire life end up on Today Show if he never came out? When's the last time he got a win besides last night? Little risk, huge gain. You're a fool if you think otherwise.

And you're a fool if you don't realise that coming out, no matter how many times you have to do it, is incredibly difficult and emotionally taxing.

There might be an upside to it for him professionally, but he is the first to put his neck out like this and no matter how much of a positive response you think you might there is always doubt and is always terrifying.

The_Mike
August 20th, 2013, 11:01 AM

You think coming out wouldn't hurt Tim Tebow's career?

While I doubt Young would be fired by WWE for being gay, if he were future endeavoured next month, what the hell could he do about it? The industry has zero protection from being fired because a McMahon is in a mood that day, and he's a contractor with no recourse. Unless he videotaped Vince telling him "fuck off you fag", he couldn't sue them for discrimination, at best he could kick up a fuss in the media, which in America is pretty hyperactive and will probably have forgotten about him quickly. And he'd still have to deal with a significant portion of the population who think he's just an attention seeker, or who try to belittle and minimise the brave step he has taken.

Cewsh
August 20th, 2013, 11:51 AM
That's to say nothing of the time he'll have the next time he walks into a gym in Alabama or some place.

AudioDynamite
August 20th, 2013, 12:03 PM
That's to say nothing of the time he'll have the next time he walks into a gym in Alabama or some place.

Or just because they can't fire him right off doesn't mean they can't bury him, I mean look how well Kanyons career went after he came out.

Mills
August 20th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Kanyon was released before he came out of the closet, unless you're suggesting that he should've been rehired due to him coming out of the closet

Cewsh
August 20th, 2013, 12:10 PM
People have been arguing for years over whether Kanyon being gay played a part in his release. I think his depression played a much bigger role in torpedoing his career. But he was so terrified of anyone knowing he was gay that the idea haunted him his whole life.

AudioDynamite
August 20th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Kanyon was released before he came out of the closet, unless you're suggesting that he should've been rehired due to him coming out of the closet

No I am saying he should have been rehired because he was one hell of an athlete and I think him being gay railroaded any chances he may have had.

Cewsh
August 20th, 2013, 12:23 PM
No I am saying he should have been rehired because he was one hell of an athlete and I think him being gay railroaded any chances he may have had.

I don't think that it did. Its not like he was getting a push and was suddenly fired. They didn't see anything in him as a talent.

AudioDynamite
August 20th, 2013, 12:24 PM
I don't think that it did. Its not like he was getting a push and was suddenly fired. They didn't see anything in him as a talent.

I could be wrong but he really didn't have any indie jobs after coming out did he?

Cewsh
August 20th, 2013, 12:27 PM
I could be wrong but he really didn't have any indie jobs after coming out did he?

He worked tons of indies, actually.

AudioDynamite
August 20th, 2013, 12:38 PM
He worked tons of indies, actually.

Ok I wasn't sure thanks for clarifying :)

Peter Griffin
August 20th, 2013, 5:04 PM
Mainstream coverage of the Darren Young situation continues, as the Howard Stern Show spent some time discussing it on their radio show this past Monday morning. Stern and his crew mainly took the opportunity to mock wrestling, noting it's the perfect job for a homosexual because they are "half naked, oiled up guys who roll around on the ground together."

From the main page. This Howard Stern sounds like a right knob.

Cewsh
August 20th, 2013, 5:10 PM
He's basically famous for mocking everything. It's a skill that has made him one of the highest paid entertainers in the history of the world.

G-Fresh
August 20th, 2013, 5:10 PM
Howard Stern is the shit. Other than the mocking wrestling stuff.

Cewsh
August 20th, 2013, 5:11 PM
People like DVDA love him.

Peter Griffin
August 20th, 2013, 5:12 PM
He's basically famous for mocking everything. It's a skill that has made him one of the highest paid entertainers in the history of the world.

Well I have heard of him, But not really familiar with his work.

JP
August 20th, 2013, 5:16 PM
He has more wrestling people on than any other mainstream talk figure and is as far from homophobic as it gets.

It would have been in good spirits mate, no need to worry about that with this. :yes:

Tainted Eclipse
August 20th, 2013, 5:17 PM
sounds about like the same joke every single person in the entire world has made at least 35 times each

VHS
August 20th, 2013, 5:17 PM
Stern is old, trivial news.

BullyRayStoleMyLunch
August 20th, 2013, 5:57 PM
Mainstream coverage of the Darren Young situation continues, as the Howard Stern Show spent some time discussing it on their radio show this past Monday morning. Stern and his crew mainly took the opportunity to mock wrestling, noting it's the perfect job for a homosexual because they are "half naked, oiled up guys who roll around on the ground together."

From the main page. This Howard Stern sounds like a right knob.

The day I take Howard Stern's words about anything of a sexual nature to heart is the same day I take Hitler's advice on race relations the same way. Guy's a fucking clownshoes.

RuneEdge
August 21st, 2013, 3:37 PM
"What a week for the WWE. Summer Slam is in the books, and there is so much to talk about. First leading into the PPV in LA, Darren Young comes out to TMZ that he is gay.

As you know WWE got a ton of free mainstream press heading into their second biggest PPV of the year. I’m happy for Darren, and I applaud his courage. On the other hand, there is no way that this was just a spur of the moment statement. I have been told that this was carefully thought out, and Darren and the WWE had this planned the whole time. There is just no way that Darren was conveniently asked that specific question and he just happened to decide now is as good a time as any to come out."
Pretty much how I felt about the whole thing. I'm happy for Darren for being able to open up about himself, and I'm glad that WWE's been really cool about it, but don't like how people praise the company for the way they handled it since I find it hard to believe that it wasn't all premeditated.

Rip
August 21st, 2013, 3:53 PM
Kanyon never fitted into the WWE/F thinking for whatever reason but his sexuality wasn't the issue as he kept it hidden till he'd gone, his personal life was a mess he suffered from depression and a couple of other disorders throughout his life, sadly he was probably always going to end up the way he did regardless, and unfortunately he is now often used as a weapon against the WWE, and if there were any truth to that I can't imagine his close friend DDP would be quite as happy to deal with them as he is.

I see the PTP seem to be on a run now, well deserved and about time, although I'm not sure about the face turn...