PDA

View Full Version : England vs Scotland

Simon
August 13th, 2013, 6:16 AM
Anyone care?

Should be nice to see us rack up a few goals against one of the minnows of international football, what do people reckon the team will be?

JP
August 13th, 2013, 6:33 AM
My first England game and it's against Scotland, I cannot wait. :D

Bad Collin
August 13th, 2013, 6:33 AM
I am watching this for Lambo. Hopefully he gets a hat trick.

Torn
August 13th, 2013, 6:43 AM
Hope Lambert starts on one side with Rhodes on the other.

son_of_foley
August 13th, 2013, 6:47 AM
My first England game and it's against Scotland, I cannot wait. :D

Find that a bit odd JP. You're big into your footy how come you never went to an international before? Especially when they were up in Manchester etc?

Mik
August 13th, 2013, 6:50 AM
I've never been to an international game either.

Torn
August 13th, 2013, 6:53 AM
Same. The only international game I would actually be interested in going to is at a major tournament.

son_of_foley
August 13th, 2013, 6:56 AM
Maybe it's the higher standard of the local club football with you guys. I bloody love an international. Have done since I was a kid

son_of_foley
August 13th, 2013, 7:01 AM
Same. The only international game I would actually be interested in going to is at a major tournament.

So you never wanted to see Beckham and Scholes? I thought you kind of identified with the team and got behind it a bit. Would've thought heading to Wembley to see the national side would've been quite high up your list?

JP
August 13th, 2013, 7:14 AM
Find that a bit odd JP. You're big into your footy how come you never went to an international before? Especially when they were up in Manchester etc?

Just never really had the opportunity before, either timing didn't fit or didn't have the money at the time.

And I live in Birmingham mate.

Torn
August 13th, 2013, 7:16 AM
Maybe if, like I said it was a real meaningful match, which for me would be at a tournament. I support the national team obviously, but most of these games are shit, with little atmosphere at extortionate prices. I think I can safely tick going to Wembley off the list after the last few years also.

wardy
August 13th, 2013, 7:28 AM
I've got a feeling this one might not have a shit atmosphere.

Slare
August 13th, 2013, 7:42 AM
We are going to win. This is literally the only thing we have to play for for at least a year and a half.

StevieV
August 13th, 2013, 7:45 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing the press reaction should England lose.

MikeHunt
August 13th, 2013, 8:34 AM
I properly can't wait. I would be happy with a competitive performace and anyone but fucking kenny miller starting. Give Rhodes a fucking go! I'd fucking love love love it if we won!!!

Mik
August 13th, 2013, 8:45 AM
Righto Kevin.

MikeHunt
August 13th, 2013, 8:49 AM
Hahahaha! I must have channeled him while typing. Do love a bit of mental kev.

Torn
August 13th, 2013, 9:09 AM
Give Rhodes a fucking go!

Yes please. I would be genuinely quite happy if he scored. He's English really anyway :shifty:

Andy
August 13th, 2013, 9:18 AM
Who do you think I should support for this Mike?

MikeHunt
August 13th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Whoever you pick just stick with them for the love of god!

ONE TEAM,
ONE COUNTRY.

Its ridiculous to think otherwise.

Andy
August 13th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Went to East Fife vs Dunfermline at the weekend and I'm currently sorting out my tickets for Arsenal vs Southampton in November. :cool:

Hlebsfall
August 13th, 2013, 3:47 PM
Your under 21 team is fucking shit.

MikeHunt
August 13th, 2013, 5:39 PM
Went to East Fife vs Dunfermline at the weekend and I'm currently sorting out my tickets for Arsenal vs Southampton in November. :cool:

stupid. why bother with arsenal? pick one you absolute fanny!

Mik
August 13th, 2013, 5:41 PM
Why do you care so much? Let him support two teams if he wants, plenty of people have a lower league team that they support on the side, this is pretty much the exact same situation.

Bennedy
August 13th, 2013, 5:48 PM
It is a different country as well.

If it was Arsenal and Crystal Palace that he supported then that would be a bit weird.

wardy
August 13th, 2013, 5:50 PM
Supporting Scotland AND England is mental though.

turdpower
August 13th, 2013, 6:34 PM
It is a different country as well.

If it was Arsenal and Crystal Palace that he supported then that would be a bit weird.

I don't know how much you keep up with football, but CP aren't a lower team.

Beefy
August 13th, 2013, 6:38 PM
Maybe if, like I said it was a real meaningful match, which for me would be at a tournament. I support the national team obviously, but most of these games are shit, with little atmosphere at extortionate prices. I think I can safely tick going to Wembley off the list after the last few years also.

Nah, England tickets are dirt cheap, especially in comparison with what Ireland charge. You can get a ticket for England at Wembley for less than I paid to watch Southend vs Plymouth.

I bloody love a trip to Wembley to see England. Can't beat it.

Bennedy
August 13th, 2013, 6:41 PM
I don't know how much you keep up with football, but CP aren't a lower team.

They fucking should be.

MikeHunt
August 13th, 2013, 6:51 PM
Why do you care so much? Let him support two teams if he wants, plenty of people have a lower league team that they support on the side, this is pretty much the exact same situation.

I genuinely can't grasp the concept of why you would want to do that. It's fine going to see your local team and fully agree with anyone who does so. I mean when I was younger once the rangers season tickets became too expensive as I had turned 16 I switched to Stirling Albion. Although I would never ever say I supported them! I followed them cause I wanted to watch football not because I liked them. Yes I check their results but I couldn't care less if they win or lose, rangers on the other hand I do give a fuck about.

supporting scotland and England is absolutely stupid. Even if you're of dual nationality I still believe you should pick one. It's fucking simple.

turdpower
August 13th, 2013, 6:52 PM
I bloody love a trip to Wembley to see England. Can't beat it.

You ever seen United at Old Trafford?

Beefy
August 14th, 2013, 3:05 AM
I hate watching football unless I care about one of the teams involved. It's why I struggle to watch any LOI stuff over here and why I only watch maybe five Premier League matches a season. Football isn't a fun sport to watch without some sort of emotional investment, IMO.

Beefy
August 14th, 2013, 3:06 AM
You ever seen United at Old Trafford?

Seen United once. I might have told you about it. Wasn't impressed.

Bennedy
August 14th, 2013, 3:47 AM
I hate watching football unless I care about one of the teams involved. It's why I struggle to watch any LOI stuff over here and why I only watch maybe five Premier League matches a season. Football isn't a fun sport to watch without some sort of emotional investment, IMO.

Completely agree. If there is another game on and I am in a pub then I will watch bits and pieces while having a chat and a beer, but I can very rarely sit indoors and watch a full 90 minutes of football involving two teams that I don't care about.

JP
August 14th, 2013, 3:49 AM
Seen United once. I might have told you about it. Wasn't impressed.

My mate was at Roots Hall for that game.

I love him to bits, but do you think he ever lets the chance to boast about their 100% record against Man U? Does he bollocks.

Beefy
August 14th, 2013, 4:14 AM
It's the first thing I say to any Manchester United fan that I meet.

Only team in England with a positive record against them :cool:

Anyway my point was that I can understand developing an affection for another team if you start going to watch them. It's Andy's additional love of Rangers that I find inexplicable.

Simon
August 14th, 2013, 4:31 AM
Blimey I am the opposite to you lot. I could happily watch football all day every day, as my girlfriend could attest to.

I'm in a similar boat to Andy with England and Ireland. Weirdly, even though I follow England much more, it's more through convenience and having a greater knowledge of the side - if the two sides played each other, I would want Ireland to win.

Don't have anything like that at club level though. There are a lot of teams I like to see do well for various reasons - QPR, Watford, Reading, Brighton (well, up until recently when the fans decided to all become wankers) - but I'd happily see Spurs murder all of them. I don't even really have much fondness for United any more, which will presumably surprise the people on here who reckon I'm secretly a United fan :mad:

son_of_foley
August 14th, 2013, 4:34 AM
It's the first thing I say to any Manchester United fan that I meet.

Only team in England with a positive record against them :cool:

Anyway my point was that I can understand developing an affection for another team if you start going to watch them. It's Andy's additional love of Rangers that I find inexplicable.

Think Mikes issue is more England Scotland are rivals (at least in Scotland). Supporting both is a bit odd.

It would be like you supportinhg Southend and whoever your biggest rival is? I'm guessing it's probably class and dignity

Beefy
August 14th, 2013, 4:34 AM
Brighton fans have always been wankers.

EDIT - supporting England & Scotland is odd (although one of my best mates is a Scot who supports England too) but Mikehunt has made the same point about Arsenal and Dunfermline.

Andy
August 14th, 2013, 4:46 AM
I guess the thing with England and Scotland is that growing up for ten years in England it was barely a rivalry. Scottish people tend to think the English hate the Scots as much as the Scots hate the English but the reality is English people really couldn't give a fuck. I really don't see why it's difficult to grasp that I'd support both of them. Spent half my life in each and I'm half and half myself. Easy.

Also with the clubs, I started supporting Arsenal very early because I was fairly close and my family were all fans and took me to games. When I moved to Scotland, all my new mates supported Dunfermline and my Grandparents lived there for years. It took a long while to feel like I properly supported them and at first I was just going to watch a game of football, but now I'm a proper fan. Especially after last season when the club was in so much trouble. You can't go to games like the ones against Raith, Partick and Falkirk last season, feel the emotion from everyone involved with the club, not knowing if it will survive, and not become emotionally attached.

It was a real eye opener actually. Arsenal might not sign anyone else this summer but they won't have to go through that at least.

Andy
August 14th, 2013, 4:49 AM
Think Mikes issue is more England Scotland are rivals (at least in Scotland). Supporting both is a bit odd.

It would be like you supportinhg Southend and whoever your biggest rival is? I'm guessing it's probably class and dignity

It's not though. It's not like I support Arsenal and Tottenham. It would be like Beefy supporting England and Wales if he was half and half. Again, wouldn't be a problem as far as I'm concerned. My Dad looks out for Scotland results because he lives here now but he only supports England. I agree it'd be a little weird if he supported Scotland too but that's different.

Beefy
August 14th, 2013, 4:55 AM
I'm half and half myself.

Knew it.

son_of_foley
August 14th, 2013, 4:58 AM
It's not though. It's not like I support Arsenal and Tottenham. It would be like Beefy supporting England and Wales if he was half and half. Again, wouldn't be a problem as far as I'm concerned. My Dad looks out for Scotland results because he lives here now but he only supports England. I agree it'd be a little weird if he supported Scotland too but that's different.

It is though. It's a 1 sided rivalry everyone knows that. You started on the unaware side of the rivalry that's fine.

If Beefy supported England and Wales you can bet your life that a lot of welsh fans would have a problem with it.

Simon
August 14th, 2013, 5:03 AM
Knew it.

waaaaaaaaaaaaay

Andy
August 14th, 2013, 5:03 AM
Meh, I'd be surprised, if it was the same situation. For the record nobody I've been to Scotland or Dunfermline games with has ever given a fuck. I've had the ocassional "how can you support both", but my reasoning has always satisfied everyone. It's only on here I've had the outrage.

Mik
August 14th, 2013, 6:22 AM
I genuinely can't grasp the concept of why you would want to do that. It's fine going to see your local team and fully agree with anyone who does so. I mean when I was younger once the rangers season tickets became too expensive as I had turned 16 I switched to Stirling Albion. Although I would never ever say I supported them! I followed them cause I wanted to watch football not because I liked them. Yes I check their results but I couldn't care less if they win or lose, rangers on the other hand I do give a fuck about.

supporting scotland and England is absolutely stupid. Even if you're of dual nationality I still believe you should pick one. It's fucking simple.

The fact that you can't understand it is irrelevant. There's lots of people that support both Sunderland AND Newcastle because they just want north east football to prosper. Frankly, who he wants to support is none of your concern.

The bigger concern should be more about why he's such a whining unsatisfied arsenal fan, despite their years of overachievement.

Simon
August 14th, 2013, 6:24 AM
There's lots of people that support both Sunderland AND Newcastle because they just want north east football to prosper.

WUUUUUUUUUUUUH?

Mik
August 14th, 2013, 6:25 AM
Aye, loads of people do that up here. Bobby Robson was famously a Sunderland nod Newcastle fan as a youth, he just loved the north east and wanted both teams to do well.

Simon
August 14th, 2013, 6:35 AM
Dozy northern mugs

Bennedy
August 14th, 2013, 6:37 AM
I do find that a little bit mental, but whatever.

Andy
August 14th, 2013, 7:31 AM
That is BULLSHIT

:shifty:

Simon
August 14th, 2013, 9:21 AM
So what are we thinking for a scoreline eh lads lads lads

Slare
August 14th, 2013, 9:22 AM
Scotland 1-0.

JP
August 14th, 2013, 9:54 AM
3-1 England

Beefy
August 14th, 2013, 9:59 AM
1-1. Lampard with a late equaliser. Scotland will be up for it. England won't.

Bad Collin
August 14th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Yeah 1-1 or 1-0 to them, the Jocks are going to be roused to say the least.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 14th, 2013, 10:28 AM
A Scottish guy on my Facebook tried to organise a big night for it at his, then posted some kind of poem on Facebook, then cancelled his big night today because he got a ticket. Fucking noob. It's a friendly.

Beefy
August 14th, 2013, 10:47 AM
It's their World Cup Final. Without being too patronising ( :D ) this is a nation who have never reached the knock-out rounds of a tournament. This is as big as it gets for Scotland.

BBF
August 14th, 2013, 10:50 AM
There were plenty of kilts on upper street at 7am this morning already drinking. normally i would say they were well up for tonight but that's just an average wednesday for them.

Simon
August 14th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Games like this are probably the reason 95% of London's tramps are Scottish - loads of feckless jocks come down for a jolly, spend their return fare on a few bonus pints and spend the rest of their lives arguing with the pigeons in Cardboard City.

Bad Collin
August 14th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Cardboard city has higher house (box) prices than Glasgow

Simon
August 14th, 2013, 11:22 AM
hahahahaha I HATE THOSE SWEATY JOCK CUNTS

Slare
August 14th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Trafalgar square is currently filled with bubble bath. A lot of our lot are using this as an opportunuity for our yearly wash.

We will batter you cunts like we batter our wives and pizzas though.

Darkoke
August 14th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Bastard I meant to neg Slare for not having any national pride just there but pos'd him instead.

Slare
August 14th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Thanks mate I appreciate it.

BBF
August 14th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Its alright I negged him so thats evened it out.

Slare
August 14th, 2013, 12:32 PM
He didn't really he possed me Darkoke, this has backfired on you dramatically you dour cuntttttttto.

I just saw our predicted starting line-up. We're gonna get fuckeeeeeed

Torn
August 14th, 2013, 1:41 PM
Hope Lambert starts on one side with Rhodes on the other.

Kenny Miller instead of Rhodes and no Lambert. GAH.

wardy
August 14th, 2013, 3:02 PM
Buzzing out of my mind for this. When we win I would like to claim a jesus sucks style victory over the forums.

VOTE AYE IN 2014

Bad Collin
August 14th, 2013, 3:09 PM
This is great so far, some hefty challenges going in already.

Bad Collin
August 14th, 2013, 3:12 PM
Fucking hell Joe

Hlebsfall
Ah, look at all those celebrations. Bless.

Dreadful keeping. Hart, the new Paul Robinson.

wardy
yaaaaaaaaaasesdfgggg

YOU GIVE ME SOMETHING

Torn
August 14th, 2013, 3:15 PM
Good to see English James Morrison from Darlington grabbing a Wembley goal.

...oh.

TraXX
August 14th, 2013, 3:18 PM
Scotland are looking good, but that's to be expected considering three of them are Norwich boys! :wired:

For the record, Ruddy would've saved that. :yes:

Torn
August 14th, 2013, 3:20 PM
Scotland are looking good, but that's to be expected considering three of them are Norwich boys! :wired:

For the record, Ruddy would've saved that. :yes:

I'd expect a conference goalkeeper to save that.

TraXX
August 14th, 2013, 3:22 PM
I'd expect a conference goalkeeper to save that.

Probably. Is your 'keeper English then?

Torn
August 14th, 2013, 3:25 PM
Probably. Is your 'keeper English then?

WOW.

(yes :happysad:, after getting rid of future England international Simon Moore to Cardiff)

BBF
August 14th, 2013, 3:29 PM
TEOOOOOOO

Torn
August 14th, 2013, 3:29 PM
THEO.

wardy
August 14th, 2013, 3:30 PM
YIKES

Bennedy
August 14th, 2013, 3:32 PM
Great pass from Cleverley there.

Bad Collin
August 14th, 2013, 3:34 PM
It's weird watching this England team they have bursts of brilliance them look shite for ages.

Hlebsfall
August 14th, 2013, 3:41 PM
I've only just noticed Welbeck is playing. He is absolute pony.

Torn
August 14th, 2013, 3:43 PM
What a dreadful decision.

Bad Collin
August 14th, 2013, 3:43 PM
These linesmen are gash

wardy
August 14th, 2013, 3:51 PM
You only scored when we were down a man. Big Hanley would've chucked himself against the post to stop that. CHEATS.

MikeHunt
August 14th, 2013, 3:53 PM
First 25 mins was fucking unreal stuff for us! Best football I've seen us play since 1998! Jesus! Fell apart a bit after that but fuck me amazing stuff from us for a bit there. Welbeck is fucking shite! Lucky with the offside as well. Enjoying this game a lot. Lets do this more often!

wardy
August 14th, 2013, 3:58 PM
I agree. It was weird seeing us bring able to string a few passes together for once.

Andy
August 14th, 2013, 4:05 PM
Why the fuck is Kenny Miller still playing for Scotland? He needs to do everyone a favour and pack it in. And yeah Welbeck is shit, such a bad touch.

Andy
August 14th, 2013, 4:06 PM
Nevermind.

Torn
Why the fuck is Kenny Miller still playing for Scotland? He needs to do everyone a favour and pack it in.

errrrrrr

TraXX
Why the fuck is Kenny Miller still playing for Scotland? He needs to do everyone a favour and pack it in. And yeah Welbeck is shit, such a bad touch.

:lol:

wardy
August 14th, 2013, 4:07 PM
Addghjnnkjcggggggfrfg

Andy
August 14th, 2013, 4:07 PM
Worked a treat. Put your house on Welbeck scoring next. :shifty:

Hlebsfall
August 14th, 2013, 4:08 PM
Cahill just got absolutely raped by fucking Kenny Miller.

Andy
August 14th, 2013, 4:09 PM
I stand by what I said though, that's probably the most impressive thing he's done in his international career. All downhill now, time to fuck off.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 14th, 2013, 4:09 PM
I went to a couple of Whitecaps games when I was in Vancouver last month and Kenny Miller was guff. Though he did score a tasty goal in a derby vs Seattle I saw on TV. He missed from about a yard out against Chicago. Fuck knows where that strike just came from.

The touches on display from Welbeck and Rooney are woeful. Unprofessional even.

Torn
August 14th, 2013, 4:10 PM
WELBECK :lol: go on lad!

Andy
Oh come on :lol:

Jay
Worked a treat. Put your house on Welbeck scoring next. :shifty::D

wardy
August 14th, 2013, 4:11 PM
Andy please say that another one of our shit players is going to score please

TraXX
August 14th, 2013, 4:11 PM

Double :lol:

Hlebsfall
August 14th, 2013, 4:12 PM
Miller and Welbeck confirmed for reading rajahdotcomforwardslashforums

Simon
August 14th, 2013, 4:13 PM
Can't work out exactly how but Kenny Miller Iooks like a white Samuel Eto'o. I think its the eyes.

wardy
August 14th, 2013, 4:21 PM
HE DOES. I've said it for years. I always notice the similarities in their goal celebrations for done reason.

Torn
August 14th, 2013, 4:24 PM
RICKIE.

Torn
August 14th, 2013, 4:27 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS RICKIE LAMBERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beefy
#lambertforengland

wardy
Charlie Mulgrew will score at least 2 so it's alright.

TraXX
August 14th, 2013, 4:28 PM
With his first touch in international football!

Incredible!

Bad Collin
Lambo!!!!!!!!!!! What a hero.

Beefy
Amazing moment. TORN AND I BLOODY TOLD YOU.

Torn
:hyper: :hyper:

Torn
August 14th, 2013, 4:30 PM
Leigh Griffiths instead of Rhodes :wtf:

TraXX
That's what happens when you pick on form and not 'names'.

What a beautiful moment for him.

Jay
GO ON GRIFFITHS, LAD.

wardy
Here's Griffiths. The hacketest man in the West Midlands since Lescott fucked off to Merseyside.

Beefy
August 14th, 2013, 4:33 PM
How come we've stunk out every tournament since 2004 with dull, negative football and yet almost all of our friendlies are exciting goal-fests?

Torn
August 14th, 2013, 4:39 PM
HERE HE COMES. JORDAN.

Andy
August 14th, 2013, 4:40 PM
Wonder goal or not, how can Scotland managers keep playing Miller ahead of Rhodes and Griffiths who scored 50 goals between them last year :dunno:

Hlebsfall
August 14th, 2013, 4:45 PM
welbeck MOTM. Andy Townsend is an absolute clown.

MikeHunt
August 14th, 2013, 6:12 PM
Loved that game! So much passion for us and absolutely amazing to see us be so competitive! Felt a draw was fair but lamberts finish was great! Genuinely so happy despite defeat. Hopefully miller calls it a day after tonight, would be a great way to go out!

JP
August 14th, 2013, 7:49 PM
That was amazing.

Great game, incredible atmosphere, just brilliant.

RFF Champ
August 15th, 2013, 3:44 AM
I stand by what I said though, that's probably the most impressive thing he's done in his international career. All downhill now, time to fuck off.

His finishes against Belgium or Sweden are the best things he's done. He's class, he's ice cool on the ball (when his first touch lets him hold it) and plays lovely flicks and dinks. He's exactly the type of attacker that's cool in possession that we've been after as an option for ages because he offers something different to everyone else.

son_of_foley
August 15th, 2013, 4:16 AM
Fuck all of you cunts we beat Russia

son_of_foley
August 15th, 2013, 4:19 AM
fuck you boris yeltsin
fuck you boris yeltsin
na na na na
na na na na

Hey Torn. Niall McGinn called you a cunt and then fucked up another international fullback.

Simon
August 15th, 2013, 4:21 AM
Scotland were excellent last night I thought, much more comfortable in possession in tight spots than we ever seem to be.

It's almost embarrassing how key Wilshere is to our play already, he's played something like 500 minutes of international football and every player, including Gerrard and Rooney, just look to get the ball to him wherever possible.

Gary J
August 15th, 2013, 4:51 AM
Probably why we look so shit at times.

JP
August 15th, 2013, 5:35 AM
Came from behind twice and still won, should have scored more, some very nice attacking play and with the two goals we conceded one of them was an awful mistake which will only happen once in a blue moon and the other was a fantastic goal from Miller.

Don't understand the negativity. Great game to watch, nice football played by both teams.

Simon
August 15th, 2013, 5:39 AM
Came from behind twice and still won, should have scored more, some very nice attacking play and with the two goals we conceded one of them was an awful mistake which will only happen once in a blue moon and the other was a fantastic goal from Miller.

Hart has made more of those mistakes than practically any top level goalkeeper over the past couple of years. And while Miller's finish was excellent, the ease with which he escaped Cahill was a joke. One not-particularly-subtle dummy and he was in yards of space.

Torn
August 15th, 2013, 5:44 AM
Fuck all of you cunts we beat Russia

fuck you boris yeltsin
fuck you boris yeltsin
na na na na
na na na na

Hey Torn. Niall McGinn called you a cunt and then fucked up another international fullback.

He is a dick.

Will Grigg with a pivotal role in this massive win for you guys I see.

JP
August 15th, 2013, 5:58 AM
Hart has made more of those mistakes than practically any top level goalkeeper over the past couple of years. And while Miller's finish was excellent, the ease with which he escaped Cahill was a joke. One not-particularly-subtle dummy and he was in yards of space.

I'd play Foster over Hart, but I'm biased.

With their second sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say well done, it was outstanding. Yes Cahill may have been sold a little too easily but it wasn't a major mistake and Miller still had an awful lot to do.

Gary J
August 15th, 2013, 6:03 AM
Why would you be biased Hart and Foster both played for Birmingham didn't they?

JP
August 15th, 2013, 6:04 AM
Why would you be biased Hart and Foster both played for Birmingham didn't they?

Yeah.

Alright, maybe I'm not biased, it just sometimes feels that way when I seem to be disagreeing with what seems to be the vast majority of other fans. Foster is the better keeper out of the two for me.

Andy
August 15th, 2013, 6:20 AM
His finishes against Belgium or Sweden are the best things he's done. He's class, he's ice cool on the ball (when his first touch lets him hold it) and plays lovely flicks and dinks. He's exactly the type of attacker that's cool in possession that we've been after as an option for ages because he offers something different to everyone else.

Kenny Miller is not class, jesus christ. His first touch is so rarely good that he's shite at holding the ball up, he doesn't win anything in the air and his goal record is abysmal. He doesn't deserve to be in that Scotland team.

Probably why we look so shit at times.

You don't understand football.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 15th, 2013, 6:24 AM
I think Alex got himself mixed up and was on about Welbeck.

Weirdly Welbeck does seem to be able to score for England on a regular enough basis, despite being perversely shit at finishing at club level.

Gary J
August 15th, 2013, 6:30 AM
Jack Wilshere doesn't understand football at all.

He needs to actually learn he doesn't need to be involved in every little thing. At Arsenal these runs keep exposing Arteta and leaving your defence vulnerable and he did the same with us last night. When he goes further forward at Arsenal he gets in Cazorla's way constantly. Shouldn't forget how woeful his final ball is or how much of a lack of goal threat he is.

I said last season Spurs should have only been worried about losing the race for 4th if Wilshere stayed injured and missed the end of the season. He barely played in those last ten games and Arsenal looked a far better team as Cazorla was free to roam wherever he wished and not have Wilshere getting in his way and as a result Arsenal looked a far better team,

Rafa Benitez had a similar problem with Gerrard wanting to do everything and generally being a brainless idiot who would leave gaping gaps which is why he would often play him on the right where he could cause less damage. Maybe Wenger should do the same with Wilshere and stick him out on the left which is where I think he was originally playing when you were all wanking over how great he was going to be.

It is perhaps you who doesn't understand football if you really think he is Arsenal's best player.

Simon
August 15th, 2013, 6:40 AM
Jack Wilshere doesn't understand football at all.

He needs to actually learn he doesn't need to be involved in every little thing. At Arsenal these runs keep exposing Arteta and leaving your defence vulnerable and he did the same with us last night. When he goes further forward at Arsenal he gets in Cazorla's way constantly. Shouldn't forget how woeful his final ball is or how much of a lack of goal threat he is.

I said last season Spurs should have only been worried about losing the race for 4th if Wilshere stayed injured and missed the end of the season. He barely played in those last ten games and Arsenal looked a far better team as Cazorla was free to roam wherever he wished and not have Wilshere getting in his way and as a result Arsenal looked a far better team,

Rafa Benitez had a similar problem with Gerrard wanting to do everything and generally being a brainless idiot who would leave gaping gaps which is why he would often play him on the right where he could cause less damage. Maybe Wenger should do the same with Wilshere and stick him out on the left which is where I think he was originally playing when you were all wanking over how great he was going to be.

It is perhaps you who doesn't understand football if you really think he is Arsenal's best player.
You have a weird blind spot where Wilshere is concerned. He is absolute class. I would not be saying that about an Arsenal player if it wasn't true.

It's an easy comparison to make but he is very reminisicent of Paul Gascoigne, the way he drifts past players seemingly without doing much. His choice of pass isn't always perfect, but he is the only player we have who is comfortable receiving the ball in tight situations - even players like Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard aren't especially comfortable in that situation. Cleverley has an element of that about him but not to the same extent. It's a massive thing for us to have a player who is happy to receive the ball in those situations, as it allows us to rotate the ball a little better, the way every other European nation does as second nature. We all know how much trouble England have retaining possession - even if he's the only one, a player like Wilshere who always offers himself for the pass and is always capable of receiving it in those cirumstances means we can keep the ball for longer periods, as we did yesterday.

MMH
August 15th, 2013, 6:49 AM
I still dont get Wilshire either.

Gary J
August 15th, 2013, 6:51 AM
Wilshere is nowhere near or even slightly reminisicent of Gascoigne. Maybe the Gazza of these days.

Andy
August 15th, 2013, 6:54 AM
Gary go read my posts on Wilshere if you want, I'm not going through the whole argument again. Comparing him to Gerrard is laughable. He's a massive asset to England, easily their best midfielder and the first England player in years who can match the technical ability of other superior nations.

Bennedy
August 15th, 2013, 7:00 AM
I prefer Cleverley. Two different types of player though.

Gary J
August 15th, 2013, 7:00 AM
No Andy you still haven't explained to me why he is a better attacking midfielder then Rosicky and Cazorla because I've pointed this out load of times to you and you've still yet to say why Wilshere is better in that role then both.

He is not a better option as a defensive midfielder then Arteta because he can't tackle (which is the only way he compares to Scholes) also as I've pointed out he doesn't have the intelligence to stay disciplined.

Your argument is basically oh he can pass a ball which is something ANY basic midfielder can do.

Gary J
August 15th, 2013, 7:03 AM
I prefer Cleverley. Two different types of player though.

I think Cleverley needs the arrogance that Wilshere or Joe Hart have (despite their flaws they do think they are a lot better then they actually are) as he will retain the ball too long at times. Welbeck seems to have this problem so maybe it was Fergie knocking the confident arrogant attitude out of them so they didn't get too big for their boots???

MMH
August 15th, 2013, 7:37 AM
Gary go read my posts on Wilshere if you want, I'm not going through the whole argument again. Comparing him to Gerrard is laughable. He's a massive asset to England, easily their best midfielder and the first England player in years who can match the technical ability of other superior nations.

Well maybe thats it, he may have the "technical ability" to match other nations but if nobody else in the team does then its pretty pointless.

Hes got ability of course, he has much more to prove for me though.

Slare
August 15th, 2013, 8:20 AM
Leah Griffiths looks like Kane the night he unmasked.

Anyway, cracking game, we looked good and it the blow was softened by Lambert getting the winner rather than one of the cunts in the England team.

Plenty positives for both sides to take from there really. Our mob are getting the optimism up just enough to have it crushed unmercifully again at the next qualifying campaign. Like clockwork.

Simon
August 15th, 2013, 8:26 AM
Griffiths looks like something out of The Hills Have Eyes, he has something of the nuclear holocaust survivor about him.

Andy
August 15th, 2013, 8:35 AM
No Andy you still haven't explained to me why he is a better attacking midfielder then Rosicky and Cazorla because I've pointed this out load of times to you and you've still yet to say why Wilshere is better in that role then both.

He is not a better option as a defensive midfielder then Arteta because he can't tackle (which is the only way he compares to Scholes) also as I've pointed out he doesn't have the intelligence to stay disciplined.

Your argument is basically oh he can pass a ball which is something ANY basic midfielder can do.

Why does he have to be better than Rosicky or Cazorla to be a good player? It's not his position for club or country either so I really don't know what your point is here. He plays as one of two deep lying midfielders alongside Arteta, not instead of him. He's given licence to push forward from that position, especially if Cazorla is playing further forward as he often drops deep when Wilshere pushes forward. If you're not happy with him pushing forward then you have an issue with the tactics of Wenger and Hodgson, not Wilshere. He is a very intelligent player. He keeps the ball moving, drives into space, can take the ball under pressure, he's an excellent passer and he's a tenacious tackler. He's not perfect but he's very very good and still improving. Sometimes a little aggressive in the tackle but that'll improve with experience. He is of course a better tackler than Scholes, whose tackling was laughable.

MMH
August 15th, 2013, 8:37 AM
Why does he have to be better than Rosicky or Cazorla to be a good player? It's not his position for club or country either so I really don't know what your point is here. He plays as one of two deep lying midfielders alongside Arteta, not instead of him. He's given licence to push forward from that position, especially if Cazorla is playing further forward as he often drops deep when Wilshere pushes forward. If you're not happy with him pushing forward then you have an issue with the tactics of Wenger and Hodgson, not Wilshere. He is a very intelligent player. He keeps the ball moving, drives into space, can take the ball under pressure, he's an excellent passer and he's a tenacious tackler. He's not perfect but he's very very good and still improving. Sometimes a little aggressive in the tackle but that'll improve with experience. He is of course a better tackler than Scholes, whose tackling was laughable.

Nah he shit.

Beefy
August 15th, 2013, 8:39 AM
You're shit.

Gary J
August 15th, 2013, 8:50 AM

Didn't say he had to be a better player then Rosicky or Cazorla to be a good player although if he was better then those two he would be pretty decent. I pointed that out as the claim Wilshere is Arsenals best player is laughable.

As for the tactics employed by Wilshere and Roy I don't think it helps that no-one knows exactlywhat is Wilsheres best position it sure as hell isn't an attacking threat because he is woeful there as I've pointed out many times before. Also I've pointed out he isn't effective as a holding midfielder because of his lack of positional sense and terrible tackling and he's no better as a box to box midfielder for the same reasons. He's no better then Aaron Ramsey.

I think he'd be better off stuck out on the left where he will leave less gaps in central midfield because at the moment I would say if he stays fit the entire season Arsenal will definitely miss out on the top 4.

Andy
August 15th, 2013, 8:54 AM
I said he is England's best midfielder, not Arsenal's best player. As for your second point, I don't know where to start. I just think your plain wrong about the tackling, positioning and "woeful attacking threat". How many times have you seen him as an attacking midfielder out of interest Gary? Because he's played as a deep lying midfielder from his debut up to now. I can only remember a very small run of games where he played off the striker due to injuries and he did well. He's got a great eye for a threaded pass and he's got a great whipped cross on him too. He does need to improve his finishing though.

Anyway, that's me done on the subject now. You're obviously not going to change your mind so, whatever.

Beefy
August 15th, 2013, 8:55 AM
Just because you've pointed something out several times doesn't make you right, Gary. I'm sure a number of us have disagreed with you several times.

Gary J
August 15th, 2013, 8:59 AM
When have I seen him as an attacking midfielder? Probably the same games you saw him there last season when we had this argument

I think you should watch him more closely. In our recent games he's been playing further forward, leaving Arteta and Diaby/Ramsey as the two shielding the back four. He's been the creative midfielder the last few games so he shouldn't be stationed in front of the defence; he should be defending from the front, chasing balls down etc.

Gary J
August 15th, 2013, 9:02 AM
Just because you've pointed something out several times doesn't make you right, Gary. I'm sure a number of us have disagreed with you several times.

No doubt and i'm not saying i'm right i'm saying I don't see just what is so great about him and seeing him compared to Gazza and Scholes is laughable he is nowhere near the level they were at.

Andy
August 15th, 2013, 9:02 AM
Yeah for like a few games, couple of months max if I remember correctly. And that was during our run of amazing form.

So to say he is woeful in that position with so few games to base it on is just plain wrong, not even any debate about it.

Gary J
August 15th, 2013, 9:03 AM
What run of amazing form?

Simon
August 15th, 2013, 9:03 AM
I can get into a discussion about whether he's as good as people make out, but the way Gary J is making out like he's actively a hindrance to Arsenal and England seems is so obvious stupid that it can't really be argued against. I don't know whether he's just too stubborn to admit he was wrong in an early assessment of Wilshere, he's on the wind up or he just has crap views on the player, but it's difficult to take him seriously when Wilshere being anything like the way Gary J describes him is objectively wrong.

Simon
August 15th, 2013, 9:04 AM
No doubt and i'm not saying i'm right i'm saying I don't see just what is so great about him and seeing him compared to Gazza and Scholes is laughable he is nowhere near the level they were at.

To clarify, I was saying he is a similar style of player to Gascoigne, not that he is as good as him (although he certainly could be).

Andy
August 15th, 2013, 9:08 AM
What run of amazing form?

When we barely dropped any points after losing to Spurs last season, overcame a big points deficit to get fourth on the final day

Gary J
August 15th, 2013, 9:08 AM
Fair enough I don't see it as I don't think he is creative enough at all. To be fair if he was half as good as Gascoigne he'd be pretty good.

Gary J
August 15th, 2013, 9:09 AM
When we barely dropped any points after losing to Spurs last season, overcame a big points deficit to get fourth on the final day

Oh you mean after Wilshere got injured and barely played.

Beefy
August 15th, 2013, 9:10 AM

We're talking about style of play. I think both are good comparison. Wilshere has a level of control on the ball and composure whilst under pressure which is very unlike most English players of the last 20 years other than Paul Scholes. He also has the ability to drop a shoulder and ghost past defences when in possession that is reminiscent of Gascoigne. He's not at the level of either of those two at this stage but in terms of his potential importance to both his club and national sides they're fair comparisons.

England's biggest problem for years has been an inability to retain possession. In Wilshere we have a talented young player who offers something that other players his age don't. If there were 20 players coming through with a similar level of natural ability then maybe people would concentrate more on the things that Wilshere can't do rather than the things that he can. Sadly that isn't the case

No one is suggesting he's the finished article or that he's perfect. Just that he's a very talented young player who is already very important to both Arsenal and England because of how different he is to other players being produced in this country.

Gary J
August 15th, 2013, 9:13 AM
I agree with your assessment of Scholes as I feel he is the nearest we have had to having a world class player since Bryan Robson.

Wilshere may very well turn out to be a great player in a few seasons in which case i'm sure a lot of these posts will be quoted but at the moment i'm just not seeing it.