PDA

View Full Version : The past 10 years in WWE...

BBF
August 12th, 2013, 1:26 PM
OK so I recently posted in the Ramble thread that my girlfriend had got us a couple of tickets to the RAW taping over here in the UK in November. All fine and dandy, brilliant work darling superb. Now she likes wrestling, and we've watched a couple of bits from recent years this week but she hasn't watched properly for 10 years so was genuinely a bit lost about who anyone is. I've filled her in (lol) on the BIG things like Benoit's STUFF, Eddie's death and retirements of people like Shawn and Edge etc but I'd like to give her a bit of knowledge of the current roster before we go. This is where you come in.

What do I need to show/tell her about the past 10 years? She's going to need to know about Cena, Punk, how things have evolved with HHH/Steph and stuff but what can I actually use to tell her these things?

Please post vital videos or breakdowns or anything which will enlighten her so she can enjoy November a little more.

Thanks in advance.

Cewsh
August 12th, 2013, 1:38 PM
I've gotten a bunch of people into wrestling lately and I'd say the key things are the things that are still significant now and likely to come up in the course of watching a show. Everything else can be expanded on later. So showing her anything CM Punk and John Cena related is key. They real key is who does she like already? I've found that if you show them stuff through the lens of the guys or girls that they like to start with it all works out better.

BBF
August 12th, 2013, 1:41 PM
Good plan. Because she's not watched for such a long time she likes all the old faves ie. The Rock, Big Show, Taker and from the small amounts we've watched together she is partial to Punk and Ziggler. She also fancies Randy Orton ( :squint: CEWSH) so I could probably use that to my advantage...

Cewsh
August 12th, 2013, 2:20 PM
Boom, there you go. You definitely want to show her stuff from the Rock/Cena and Rock/Punk feuds so she can ease into familiarity with those guys. Big Show has feuded with everyone, and Randy Orton has the Money in the Bank briefcase right now. He might well be feuded with Cena come November.

As long as she's familiar with the top guys, the rest comes naturally. So find ways to bring her up to speed on guys like Cena, Punk, Bryan and Lesnar and let the other guys sell themselves.

My most successful way to do this is find a Raw coming up where someone she likes is doing something, like whenever Show makes his comeback, and then have her watch with you. Bust on the show and be lighthearted about it, (putting too much pressure on it or trying to pack in too much info puts people off,) and then make sure she's watching when her favorites are on. That builds a solid base of interest and she might be into it from then on.

Wrestling is surprisingly easy to sell to people as long as you make it fun and easy.

Atty
August 12th, 2013, 3:03 PM
I'll write more here later, but Punk/Cena is a must for recent stuff.

Beyond that, I would actually show her Taker/Shawn/HHH/Flair stuff. They're not regular now, but their matches were some of the most brilliant storytelling the company has done and strong enough where the matches can tell the story without a bunch of promos. That can hook someone as strong as anything, as if they get into the story there it means they're into the matches as well. The other thing there is that they are "cleaner" matches. No blood, silliness or something that could be off-putting to a new viewer.