PDA

View Full Version : World of Tanks

Pablo Diablo
July 22nd, 2013, 9:44 PM
Right so I just started playing this on the PC and I am SHIIIIIT.

But the game is addictive as hell. Basic idea for people who don't know is that it's an MMO with tanks that is free to play. You get put in 15 v 15 battles where your aim is either to eliminate all the enemy or to capture their base. Oh, you also only can die once per round. So rushing is not a good tactic as you will be blown to smithereens.

There are 6 countries (USA, Germany, France, Russia, China, Britain) and you can play as tanks from all of them. You have a garage where you can hold 7 different tanks at a time. You start off at the bottom though with a shit tank from every country. As you go through your battles you gain experience and credits. This experience and money allows you to research and upgrade your shit tank and follow a tech tree to unlocking the next tier of tank. There are 10 tiers in total but it gets much more expensive as you go up and the xp doesn't really scale with the tier you're at.

In each fight you will only be placed with people within 2 tiers of you. SO if you're a tier 4 tank you will see people as low as tier 2 all the way up to tier 6. It's a game that definitely requires strategy and something I don't have yet, a knowledge of the different tanks in the game and their armor. Because if you are in a shit tier 2 tank. You will not be able to penetrate through the armor of a tier 5 tank. Even taking into account that there are weak points on the different tanks (i.e. the side of the turret).

I recently unlocked a Tier 4 tank and have wasted so much time playing it.

Anybody else play? Any questions, I'm extremely new but have been reading up on it so maybe I could answer.

http://worldoftanks.com/ is the website if anyone would like to download the client and play for free.

Grimario
July 27th, 2013, 1:23 AM
Downloading it. If it sucks, I am blaming you.

Pablo Diablo
July 27th, 2013, 1:39 AM
Just remember, don't play it like a shooter where you'll respawn. Be patient, take cover. Peek in and out of cover.

And your first set of tanks suck compared to what you can end up getting.

Grimario
July 27th, 2013, 1:50 AM
Good advice. But while I wait the few days to download the 5gb, I will be busy playing Warframe instead.

Judas Iscariot
July 27th, 2013, 2:25 AM
What are the specs on this?

Seen commercials and the reviews for a couple of years have been great. Don't have a very good machine, though. Toshiba somethingorother.

I never play games on PC ever since I bought Age of Empires III for two different machines, couldn't run it on either and couldn't bother.

Mikey_Jones
July 27th, 2013, 5:07 AM
World of Tanks is a brilliant game. Considering it's free, it's outstanding. I've got tanks ranging from Tier 1 to Tier 5 right now.

It's worth looking in advance to see what tanks look good, and working towards that tank. You need to get experience to unlock upgrades for your tank, which you get in the battles. You can get experience by either damaging/killing enemy tanks, or spotting them first on your team. If you spot someone and they killed by your team-mates, you get a lot of experience. But this is only really suitable for light tanks. There are 5 different types of tank:

Light: Small, weak armour and health but fast, usually with quick fire guns. The best way to earn experience with light tanks is by scouting, although you don't want to rush out at the start of the battle

Medium: Average armour and health, average speed and an average gun. In the lower tiers these tanks are quite good, as the weaker guns can't penetrate their armour

Heavy: The heavy tanks don't become unlocked until tier 4 (I think), but they are worth getting. Huge health and armour with a good gun. The only problem is they are slow. The battle can be over by the time you get there

Tank Destroyers (TD): My favourite type of tank. The tanks armour/health/speed range from decent to good, but the guns are superb. You can take out tanks in one hit, which is great fun. The American TD line is my choice at the moment, they can reach speeds of 60 km/h.

Artillery/SPG: The guns fire lopped shells from the back of the battlefield. You need to rely on your team-mates to spot the enemy tanks, but a good SPG can win the game

Those are the five types of tanks, each has it's advantages and disadvantages. Some good tips would be:
Stay behind bush cover, rather than inside the bush. If you can spin your mouse around and not see any of your own tank from the other side, you're good.
Don't rush out at the start. You'll die straight away. It's better to sit back and wait
Play the objective. Some maps you just need to defend your base.

Grimario
July 27th, 2013, 9:04 AM
Cheers Mikey, sounds interesting. Shall hopefully check it out before this weekend is over...

Pablo Diablo
July 27th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Mikey did a much better job of explaining.

Also I don't think the specs are that intense.

I'm currently heading towards the KV-1 (Soviet heavy) with my main go. Also starting a bunch of the American lines.