PDA

View Full Version : Orange is the New Black

The Law
July 18th, 2013, 9:28 PM
Anyone watch this? Netflix original series released last week. I'm about halfway through and it's absolutely excellent. From the creator of "Weeds," and very similar in both substance and tone. It's about a suburban white woman who goes to prison for a minor drug crime she committed years prior. The characters in this show are absolutely fascinating, whether it's the various women in the prison, the guards, or the families on the outside. Anyone, I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes TV. Best new TV show I've seen since...probably "Homeland."

The only two really notable cast members are Jayson Biggs (from "American Pie," plays the fiancee of the main character) and Laura Prepon (Donna from "That 70s Show").

Fro
July 18th, 2013, 9:35 PM
I saw the adverts for this but haven't watched it. I wasn't a fan of Weeds so I'm not sure it'll be for me. I'll probably check it out at some point though.

Bert
July 18th, 2013, 9:42 PM
I watched through it these past few days. I really enjoyed it and I'm excited for Season 2 now.

Jimmy Zero
July 18th, 2013, 10:31 PM
I was initially interested, but was immediately turned off when I heard it was by the same guy that did Weeds. I absolutely hated Weeds.

I'll give this a shot, though. I've been hearing nothing but positive things, so far.

Bert
July 18th, 2013, 11:18 PM
A lady created Weeds. I don't think it's as dark as Weeds ended up getting for a while.

VanillaJello
July 19th, 2013, 4:29 PM
Anyone watch this? Netflix original series released last week. I'm about halfway through and it's absolutely excellent. From the creator of "Weeds," and very similar in both substance and tone. It's about a suburban white woman who goes to prison for a minor drug crime she committed years prior. The characters in this show are absolutely fascinating, whether it's the various women in the prison, the guards, or the families on the outside. Anyone, I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes TV. Best new TV show I've seen since...probably "Homeland."

The only two really notable cast members are Jayson Biggs (from "American Pie," plays the fiancee of the main character) and Laura Prepon (Donna from "That 70s Show").

And Taylor Schilling with her "movie star" titties.

Fro
July 19th, 2013, 5:53 PM
I went to high school with Taylor Schilling.

Bert
July 19th, 2013, 6:44 PM
Did you hit that?

Fro
July 19th, 2013, 8:59 PM
I wish. She was a few years older than me but her brother was in my grade.

Jimmy Zero
July 19th, 2013, 9:58 PM
Fro, you dirty brother fucker.

Pipkin
February 12th, 2014, 3:57 AM
This has been in my Netflix queue forever, and I finally got around to it a few days ago. I'm through about 10 episodes and it is excellent.

Mik
February 12th, 2014, 10:56 AM
I think that you're just about done in that case. I enjoyed it, but it seems very much like a one season concept to me.

Kimura Kid
February 12th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Wow, My wife watches this and just assumed it was one of her girly shows like Vampire Diaries or Pretty Little Liars. lol

BBF
February 12th, 2014, 11:05 AM
I think that you're just about done in that case. I enjoyed it, but it seems very much like a one season concept to me.

Agree to a certain extent. It will be interesting to see where they go with it in Season 2.

I enjoyed the first season immensely, sped through the 13 (?) episodes within a few days. It helps that Laura Prepon is fucking gorgeous too.

Mik
February 12th, 2014, 11:07 AM
I dont agree.

BBF
February 12th, 2014, 11:10 AM
re: Laura Prepon?

Mik
February 12th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Yup.

BBF
February 12th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Fair enough. I don't like her blonde but dark hair and glasses I think she looks amazing.

JRSlim21
February 13th, 2014, 1:39 AM
Fair enough. I don't like her blonde but dark hair and glasses I think she looks amazing.

This. She's always been attractive but her look on the show ups it a bit. I think the girl with the Bostonian accent is the hottest.

Pipkin
February 13th, 2014, 2:19 AM
I've never found Laura Prepon all that attractive. I've really never cared for her work either, to be honest, but she's been solid in this.

I finished season one earlier today, and wow...really interesting. I was sort of wondering how they'd stretch the show into a second season too, but the way season one ended gave me hope that there's still plenty to do with these characters.

Newf
February 13th, 2014, 3:24 AM
I remember when it first launched I had friends ranting and raving about it on Facebook, one even saying she was going to watch it a second time after she'd just finished watching it the first time.

That seemed strange to me and yet after I gave in and watched in (in binge-viewing fashion) I too felt the urge to watch it again, which doesn't happen often with many shows or even individual seasons.

I think it's something about the close quarters of it that gives it a real charm, all these odd characters forced to come together, and the fact that it's incredibly clever and well-written.

Bert
April 19th, 2014, 4:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e99SkdcB2UU

Kdestiny
April 19th, 2014, 4:38 PM
Can't wait

JRSlim21
April 20th, 2014, 5:58 PM
Curious as to how the new characters are, especially the woman from Red's past

Mik
April 21st, 2014, 9:14 AM
The trailer seems like its moving away from the comedy aspect a bit and becoming a lot less believable.

Jordo
April 21st, 2014, 10:34 AM
Not really surprised if that is what happens. Weeds toed that line and swayed back and forth too

Jordo
June 7th, 2014, 6:49 AM
Sooo second season is out. I binged on it yesterday got through 8 episodes, seems just as good as the first season imo.

Am I alone in laughing everytime someone shouts no touching because it reminds me of arrested development?

mth
June 7th, 2014, 12:17 PM
The wife and I watched 5 episodes last night. Probably going to watch another few this afternoon. It's fantastic as expected gut some of the flashback scenes with the characters as kids are just terrible. Awful dialogue magnified by bad acting. Otherwise, though, great stuff.

JRSlim21
June 8th, 2014, 11:55 PM
I finshed the 2nd season earlier today. I won't spoil it but some of these characters and their backstory is just gutwrenching and allowed me to get emotionally invested. For those who have seen the whole season...

Crazy Eyes as a child was probably #1.
Tasty's best friend growing up getting killed by Vee.
The interaction between Miss Rosa and the kid who shares cancer with her.
Tasty and Poussey's friendship

THis season was more drama than comedy and it worked.

Simon
July 22nd, 2014, 7:04 AM
I just finished the second season. Not a great deal to say other than it was fantastic from start to finish, and that fade on Ms. Rosa to her former self was great. Vee was one of the best screen villains I've seen in a long time, superbly written where every bit of manipulation she pulled seemed obvious to the viewer but believably hidden from the people she was using.

Also is it just me or does Don't Fear The Reaper sound a lot like the theme tune to Game On?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqyCpoZdR_8

Simon
June 18th, 2015, 5:21 AM
Anyone watching the latest series? I'm five episodes in and after a slow start it's beginning to get good again.

Jimmy Zero
June 18th, 2015, 10:26 AM
I am. It's been solid, if unspectacular. I like the direction they've gone with Piper, as far as focusing a bit less on her and Alex (and Jason Biggs, who's hopefully gone for good). Alex is probably my least favorite character and I hope she's gone soon, too.

I like that they're focusing more on the supporting inmates, and the issues being presented due to the prison being owned by a for profit corporation is pretty cool, too.

I hope Daya gives birth soon, because that's by far the worst thing on the show. Her and her mother are almost unbearable to watch.

BBF
June 22nd, 2016, 4:45 AM
Anyone watched the latest season?

It's been better than the third for me and is a decent little watch. Just got up to episode 12 and I'm fucking devastated. Like Lem in The Shield levels of :( :( :( :(

Simon
June 22nd, 2016, 5:07 AM
Will probably end up watching it despite finding the third series pretty tough going.

Romford Pele
June 22nd, 2016, 7:19 AM
Watched first half of series 1 and got bored.

Mr_Nobody
June 22nd, 2016, 8:56 AM
Anyone watched the latest season?

It's been better than the third for me and is a decent little watch. Just got up to episode 12 and I'm fucking devastated. Like Lem in The Shield levels of :( :( :( :(

It's a stupid series, and I hate it...and I too was devistated. It reminded me of Oz with Augustus's death.

Seanny One Ball
December 5th, 2016, 2:35 PM
I've just gone through the first three seasons of this on DVD and I think it's excellent.
The only thing I dislike about this show is the protagonist who is not only a thoroughly unlikeable cunt but who is also played by a terrible, ugly actress. That would in itself be completely unforgivable and see me throw the entire show in the bin but for the fact that every single thing besides Piper Chapman in that show is brilliant.

So many amazing characters and well crafted comedy make this a joy to watch but I'm 100% serious when I say I have fast forwarded every single speech that Piper Chapman makes because even the sound of her cunt voice makes me want to put my fist through the telly.

Hopefully season 4 sorts itself out and really pushed her storyline to the back of the queue and gives her the absolute minimum screen time, she's not interesting or remotely sympathetic. She's a terrible bastard and who the fuck wants to watch a show about a stupid cunt who thinks she's smart by offering up unasked for bullshit that she learned by rote and who plays gangster like the fucking idiot kids you see in any high school up and down the country.

Honestly kill her off, make the whole show about the other inmates like Oz was.

ReDPath
August 29th, 2019, 7:53 AM
Finally finished the binge.

Great show. Certainly one to remember. Great ensemble, lots of dynamics at play. Walking Dead could learn a thing or two about character interaction and dynamics by comparison.

Really liked the first 4 seasons. I feel like Season 5 tried to be too ambitious and Season 6 unfortunately felt very filler despite a brand new location. Season 7 was a nice wrap up.

The only thing I'm really torn about is...

The choice to cut out half the characters and focus on only one max prison after Season 5. On one hand, it was disappointing that we didn't get to see those guys for basically 2 full seasons until the series finale. On the other hand, I'd almost like to praise the choice because it was ballsy. If this were Walking Dead, we probably would've gotten 26 bottle episodes between Ohio max and Litchfield Max once Season 6 began and that would've drove me bananas. So while im torn about half the cast being cut out after Season 5, im also glad they stuck to their guns to tell the story they wanted to tell.

I wouldn't mind a spinoff or prequel. Plenty of stories you could tell.

Rancid_Planet
August 29th, 2019, 10:09 PM
This show doesn't have enough anal rape.

Oz was much better.

mth
August 29th, 2019, 10:22 PM
Pretty happy with how this ended for the most part. Liked that they left a few things open to interpretation and didn't cleanly wrap it all up with a bow.