PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky gameplay

Simon
July 17th, 2013, 2:01 PM
Hello bastards

As I may have mentioned before, the downtime periods at my work are so quiet and the attitude is so relaxed from higher-ups that I have been able to play FM on the sly for quite some time, first CM01-02 and then graduating to the newer ones. However this can get a bit boring so I would like to venture into other games, but it needs to be stuff I can play in a reasonably surreptitious manner. Can anyone recommend any games that fit this description?

Off the top of my head they would need to...

-not require much in the way of memory etc, so I can still get on with work when necessary
-play in windowed mode (this is essential for obvious reasons)
-gameplay needs to be the sort of thing where you can click offscreen at no notice without it fucking your game up. So basically no action games, platform games etc...I guess strategy/management games would be the best?
-this is going to sound stupid but bear with me...ideally (but not essentially) it shouldn't look too 'gamey'. Im struggling to find a way of saying it that doesn't make me sound like an idiot...but yeah, while people at work know I'm pissing about on a game, I think they would prefer that it isn't too blatant if only to cover their backs if someone ever took issue with it. I should at least be making an attempt to play it secretly, even if it isn't that important that I do so.

I have RCT2 on my computer and would love to stick it on my hard drive to play at work, but I can't find a way of forcing it into windows mode and I think playing a game as obvious as that on full screen mode would be taking the mick.

Cheers

Si

Kunt 4 Life
July 17th, 2013, 2:18 PM
In my downtime periods of work i play a bit of games. I got an emulator in and played a few gameboy games but the ones that i really enjoyed, and got a few other people in the office playing as well, was text adventures. And the good thing is that text adventures look alot like work.
Babel and Zombie were two of my favourites.

Hlebsfall
July 17th, 2013, 2:41 PM
Extreme Warfare Revenge. The wrestling booking game. There are a load of mods for it as well for various databases.

RuneEdge
July 17th, 2013, 2:58 PM
Can it be something you'd have to pause? Like say Commandos or Sim City?

Kyle_242
July 17th, 2013, 9:31 PM
FTL.

You do need to pause as the combat is real-time, but pausing is really part of the gameplay anyway.

Grimario
July 17th, 2013, 9:50 PM
I play FM as my sneaky at work game if I am working from home. Log into Remote desktop, boot up FM and it sits in the background the entire day, basically. Good to fill those fucking dull hour long pointless meetings.

Plants vs Zombies runs in window mode and I think it even auto-pauses if you alt tab away from it. If you have somehow never heard of it, it is basically a tower defense/resource management game but it's considerably more entertaining than some of them. Was probably my favourite game the year it came out.
Defense Grid: The Awakening, another tower defense game that is most excellent.
Anomaly 2 runs in a window mode as well. Unfortunately the first game (Anomaly Warzone Earth) only has full screen (but you can alt tab out without hassle). It's almost a reverse tower defense game... you play the units assaulting and get round/through the towers that are defending.

Those are the three that immediately spring to mind.

Simon
July 18th, 2013, 9:58 AM
Can it be something you'd have to pause? Like say Commandos or Sim City?
Yeah at a stretch, I mean FM is like that when you're in a game. So many times I've been at a crucial point in the game and suddenly had someone at my desk, unable to pause the game and just have to trust the cunts to do the job without me. I kind of think of it as being 'sent to the stands'.

Pablo Diablo
July 18th, 2013, 10:17 AM
FTL is a great suggestion. Just be prepared to be tested to fuck. Toughest game in the world. Even on "easy" mode.

RuneEdge
July 20th, 2013, 2:00 PM
Slightly off topic, but Roller Coaster Tycoon's coming to iOS and Android soon. :hyper: