PDA

View Full Version : WWE Tag Division Thread

The Law
July 15th, 2013, 4:47 PM
Thought it would be nice to have on place to discuss WWE's tag team division.

After a long, weak period since the 2000-2002 glory years, WWE rebuilt their tag division last year around this time. For the first time in years, we actually had a solid group of teams: Kane and Bryan, Mysterio and Sin Cara, Rhodes and Sandow, Prime Time Players. And there were even some low card tag teams for the first time in a long time!

A year later, a lot of those teams are gone. At this point, Shield and Usos are just about the only teams left with much credibility, and the Usos being pushed is a very recent development. I see signs that Swagger and Cesaro are going to be teaming up, which is a good plan. After what happened last night, I can see Shield vs. Usos vs. Real Americans (or "The Kings of Wrethling") for Summerslam.

Who would you like to see team together? Who should break up? When should Shield lose the tag titles? Who should win them? What does the future hold for WWE's tag division?

Cewsh
July 15th, 2013, 4:48 PM
This would be a great time for a mod to lock this thread and just post Vince McMahon strut gifs for several pages.

One Man Gang
July 15th, 2013, 4:54 PM
I am waiting for the Wyatt Family to monstrously destroy the Shield. Kinda like when a big super heavyweight would come in and destroy the previous big super heavyweight in a match.

MichaelC
July 15th, 2013, 4:57 PM
Kane > Vader > Yokozuna > Earthquake > Andre (?).

Then Kane jobbed to all the new giants. Heh.

Anyhow, I am completely behind the recent Usos push.

Andy
July 15th, 2013, 5:42 PM
The PTPs need another push. I quite enjoy the long title reigns we're seeing these days but I think the tag division could do with some frequent title changes for a while. Get lots of guys in the spotlight for a while, mix it up.

Hero!
July 15th, 2013, 6:21 PM
Where the fuck is Evan Bourne these days? He and Cara could really do with being a tag team. Just imagine Roman Reigns spearing the both of them clear across the ring...:drool:

Cewsh
July 15th, 2013, 6:24 PM
Bourne is still recovering from numerous foot surgeries. He's getting back into ring shape.

Hero!
July 15th, 2013, 6:25 PM
Wasn't be doing dark matches recently or am I wrong?

Cewsh
July 15th, 2013, 6:26 PM
NXT dark matches, and the WWE higher ups didn't think he was ready yet.

Hero!
July 15th, 2013, 6:34 PM
Ahhhh, that makes sense. Well, I hope he's back soon, he's pretty damn good in the tag division and dear fuck could WWE use more baby faces right now.

The Law
July 15th, 2013, 6:48 PM
I think Gabriel and Kidd or Gabriel and Bourne would make a good tag team. "International Airstrike?" Maybe the term "Airstrike" would be deemed insensitive. Or they could just rehire Harry Smith and bring back the Hart Dynasty. Turns out Smith is only 27. Dude was 21 when WWE first signed him.

They should put Hawkins and Ryder back together. Neither guy has anything else to do right now.

I think Primo and Epico would be fine if they repackaged them. I don't really have any ideas for it, but people usually respond when it becomes apparent that management has ideas for someone.

Cewsh
July 15th, 2013, 6:49 PM
It'll be awhile before Smith will be available. He's under contract to New Japan.

chatty
July 15th, 2013, 7:01 PM
Last years tag division was looking great but suffered so many set-backs. Kidd got injured just as him an Gabriel were about to join the tag ranks properly, can't remember which one but Rey or Cara got injured (possibly both at separate times), Bourne got caught smoking pot again, EPico/Primo just didn't work, Rex quit and PTP lost there manager and that was the end of their small push (even though they are better without him.

Hopefully this time they will work it out better as I think they thought with the big season coming up they best put there focus on that and come back to it.

At current there is Shield (Reigns and Rollins, Wyatts, Brodus/Tensai (whatever e is going under now), PTP and Uso's with possibly Swagger and Cesaro joining the mix. I'd like to see them add more, maybes Kidd/Gabriel when Kidd is ready to come back, Hawkins/Ryder is a good shout and maybes do something like Riley/Dallas as the cheesiest tag team of all time.

Hero!
July 15th, 2013, 7:07 PM
Yoshi and Evan Bourne should form a new tag team called "Wi Tu Lo"

#ohnohedidnt

Andy
July 15th, 2013, 7:08 PM
Now that Linda's given up in politics they should bring back AW. That was a genius idea.

The Law
July 16th, 2013, 12:00 AM
Christian and Jericho would make a really awesome short-term tag team if Shield run out of challengers. Both Canadian, former champions, have history teaming together (and feuding).

JRSlim21
July 16th, 2013, 8:28 PM
Stick Miz and Riley together again.

Hero!
July 16th, 2013, 8:29 PM
I forgot Alex Riley was employed.

Hero!
July 16th, 2013, 8:31 PM
Come to think of it: A-Ry, Yoshi, DiBiase, JTG, Hawkins, and PrimEpico should really form a stable called "Yes, we're still employed"

Hey, it's kinda worked for 3MB

Hero!
November 22nd, 2013, 1:51 PM
So, with 11 tag teams on the current roster (not counting Best & the beard yet) we have a giant tag division. Adding into the mix that Rey & Cara are both back and could team together again, as well as Camacho & Hunico, and even Air Bourne soon enough, the division just gets bigger. Factoring in NXT tag teams that could be called up and Triple H's supposed initiative to call up more NXT guys as tag teams, is the division TOO big for just one set of belts? It feels like we have a lot of tag teams with potential to be the champs, but they can't because there's just so many teams on the current roster. I've been thinking that WWE should add a six-man tag title to the mix and make more 3-man tag teams in addition to the 3 we have now.

Thoughts?

Hero!
November 22nd, 2013, 1:54 PM
I only bring this up as there were always multiple tag belts during the tag team heydays of the 70s/80s. I don't want 2 sets of normal tag belts, though, so I think a six-man tag title would be great.

Nash Diesel
November 22nd, 2013, 4:27 PM
One thing to note though is during the WWF's tag-team heydays of the 80's and 90's, they had 1 tag-team belt and just as many teams who were getting a lot more focus and had more depth than a lot of the teams of today. Today we have all these teams, but only a few have any depth to them. The WWE is definitely working on that, but I would like to see some of the teams that are only being used to put people over to develop rivalries with other midcard teams. Like back in the day, The Rockers/Orient Express, Rougeu Brothers/Bushwackers, when those 4 teams weren't putting over Demolition, the Harts, or the Bulldogs, they were opening up ppvs and battling at house shows constantly. There wasn't any storyline or tag-team title hopes, just what appeared to be competitive rivalries.

So instead of the WWE just using Tons of Funk or PTP or even 3MB and Hunico/Camacho as enhancement teams so to speak, why not build something between them even if it's just a competitive rivalry?

I really think that we are on the cusp of a true tag-team breakthrough, the main teams: Rhodes Bros, Rollins/Reigns, Harper/Rowan, Real Americans, Usos, those 5 right there are great. They have a solid undercard of teams such as the 4 mentioned above that could use some work if they're going to be paired together for the long run, El Matadores may or may not be around much longer but if they are hey, why not? Not too long ago I was questioning the quality of some of these teams, referencing the mid 90's era of the New Rockers, Smokin' Gunnz, Bodydonnas, and only like 1-2 teams that mattered (ironically both having Owen i.e. Yoko/Owen, Bulldog/Owen).

What kind of sucked for the WWE was back in the Dudleyz/Hardyz/E&C era, when they split those 3 teams up, there wasn't anyone to take the torch and run with it so they scrambled and threw together all these whack teams that no one remembers and never really built any teams that were getting over like the peak years of the 80's and 90's. Now, I see that slowly changing, and I hope it keeps evolving to a positive outcome.