PDA

View Full Version : The Vince and the Pauper...

BullyRayStoleMyLunch
July 15th, 2013, 1:29 PM
... apologies for the title, the heat is zapping my usually punny ways.

Right:

By some happening, you get put into a position of power at WWE. Not for long, but long enough to set into place 3 changes, which are guaranteed to be enforced for the next two years.

What would you pick, and why?

1: Stop all the foreshadowing of events by commentators and go-home shows.

We've all seen it: last Raw before a PPV, the Hot Face lays his rival to waste in the ring, with the announcers declaring something like "X is going to be unstoppable come Sunday!"

And we all know, 9/10 times, it means "No, X won't. He'll fall just short, but hey - here's a little bit of what you WON'T SEE."

Because we already can predict the outcome, we care less about what happens.
Suprise us: have an announcer be actually right for a change!

2: Remember what the second W stands for.

I think with the slow handing over of the reins to HHH, this aspect is, and will continue to improve in-ring.

It's outside the ring I want to look at:

Its always seemed to me from a writing aspect that WWE tends to discriminate more against writers who DO have a lifelong interest in wrestling.I can make a logical jump as to why they might like a soap opera writer, with the "serial drama" aspect of it.

But their continual treatment of "marks" as writers confuses me.
It's like Pepsi employing a quality control tester who hates the taste of the stuff.

I'm not suggesting q "let the inmates run the asylum" approach. But, a couple of writers with a lifelong interest with wrestling could give a decent fan perspective on things.

Also - Matt Striker did not need to be fired. The man LOVES wrestling.
Yes, he's too smarky for the main demographic. But Styles got accomodated on the website. And with their proposed network coming up, he could easily have been given something to do there.

3: Evolution, not Revolution.(Alan Partridge, represent)

Brock, Rock, RVD, etc.

All short term solutions to a long term problem.

With The Shield, Wyatts, Ryback et al starting off a period of a few fresh faces in WWE, it'd be nice to see one of the part time warriors (Jericho excluded, he already gets it) elevate someone who could use that little nudge up to the top table.

NOT Rock losing the belt to Cena, and just going back to movies.
NOT Big Bad Brock coming in, and Cena just scraping by.

And you guys...

VHS
July 15th, 2013, 1:33 PM
1. Stop saying "The WWE Universe" forever.

2. Focus on making faces more compelling.

3. Replace King with Regal.

Psycho666Soldier
July 15th, 2013, 1:45 PM
1. Get Rid of Scripted Promos. Bullet Points only. Being able to read lines is important, but some people who feel like they have personality just cant' deliver properly when they're trying to follow a word for word script. Someone like Kofi could probably benefit from having more freedom.

2. Stop Wasting Top Dollar Match-Ups on TV. A big match between stars who have never fought(i.e. Orton/Bryan, Sheamus/Sandow, Cesaro/Anyone) is fine from time to time, and it's always nice to test the waters before you put effort into a PPV program. However, that doesn't mean HAVE THEM FIGHT EVERY WEEK, EACH SHOW OF THE WEEK, and ruin the mystique before they've even had a chance to properly feud! And if you're trying to START a feud, use segments, damn it.

3. Take the Women Seriously. WWE is already starting to do this a bit, but I'd make sure we get an average of at least 4-7 month Title reigns with the occasional year-long, more exposure for the entire roster, bring up the NXT girls before long, and really letting every female wrestle to the fullest of their abilities like they get to do on NXT or Superstars rather than shoehorning them. Let them develop characters, and not ones that always revolve around love or whether the face is fat or not. Lastly, I'd take away the "Diva" moniker and change the belt.

Andy
July 15th, 2013, 1:45 PM
1. Stop pushing social media/the app so much. Use them sure, but don't go on about them in every fucking match.
2. Fire Lawler. Harsh as hell, but it will improve things a lot.
3. Fire Cena. I'm a risk taker baby. I don't dislike Cena as a guy and he has good matches, but it's hard to see any major changes in the main event landscape while he's around. Get rid of him and see who sinks and who swims trying to replace him.

The Law
July 15th, 2013, 1:51 PM
Fire John Cena...

Top star. Top draw. Most over guy in the company. Great representative of the company. Durable. Incredibly professional. Does tons of charity work. Puts on great matches on a consistent basis. Relatively durable. Top five overall performer in the company.

And you want to fire him.

Andy
July 15th, 2013, 1:55 PM
That's right. :cool:

BullyRayStoleMyLunch
July 15th, 2013, 1:57 PM
1. And if you're trying to START a feud, use segments, damn it!

THIS. All day long!

Rip
July 15th, 2013, 2:02 PM
1. Tell Better Stories. Right now the storylines are simply awful, if you want to get people to care, give them a reason.
2. Listen To The Fans. Daniel Bryan, says it all really.
3. Stop Bouncing Roles. TNA does it all the time, now WWE is starting down the same path, pick face/heel and run with it, if' it doesn't get over instantly be prepared to work on it.

OD50
July 15th, 2013, 2:41 PM
1. Get Rid of Scripted Promos. Bullet Points only. Being able to read lines is important, but some people who feel like they have personality just cant' deliver properly when they're trying to follow a word for word script. Someone like Kofi could probably benefit from having more freedom.

2. Stop Wasting Top Dollar Match-Ups on TV. A big match between stars who have never fought(i.e. Orton/Bryan, Sheamus/Sandow, Cesaro/Anyone) is fine from time to time, and it's always nice to test the waters before you put effort into a PPV program. However, that doesn't mean HAVE THEM FIGHT EVERY WEEK, EACH SHOW OF THE WEEK, and ruin the mystique before they've even had a chance to properly feud! And if you're trying to START a feud, use segments, damn it.

Yes. :yes:

Jacknife
July 15th, 2013, 3:06 PM
1. Bring back four on four Survivor Series matches, and have that grand match at the end with all the survivors, like in 1990.

2. Bring Raw back to 2 hours. Three hours is too much. Put the extra third hour into Smackdown. Don't make Smackdown a video package replay of RAW.

3. Make sure the US, IC, Tag, and WWE championships are fought for at every PPV.

BullyRayStoleMyLunch
July 15th, 2013, 3:14 PM
1. Bring back four on four Survivor Series matches, and have that grand match at the end with all the survivors, like in 1990.

2. Bring Raw back to 2 hours. Three hours is too much. Put the extra third hour into Smackdown. Don't make Smackdown a video package replay of RAW.

3. Make sure the US, IC, Tag, and WWE championships are fought for at every PPV.

I would LOVE the Grand Survivor match back. So much could be done with it... imagine a Heyman pretty much haranguing survivors on their way back through the curtain to join his side for the main event. Or will he, won't he turns. Now the WWE has a bit more than the full heel/face dynamic it did back then, it opens up the door for more story possibilities.

G-Fresh
July 15th, 2013, 3:15 PM
1. Bring back blading
2. Bring back chair shots to the head
3. Unban moves like piledrivers and brainbusters

chatty
July 15th, 2013, 3:21 PM
1. Turn Cena heel.

2. Unify the WWE/WHC and US/IC titles.

3. Make part timers feud with upcoming guys far more often.

Hotbeef-Injection
July 15th, 2013, 6:10 PM
1.) Get midcard faces to stop being cheesy comedy acts who resort to name calling or sucker punching. Christ you want us to root for these guys, right?

2.) More competitive matches between main eventers and mid-carders. No more 90 second squashes. Like Punk did with Darren Young. Makes Young look good without weakening Punk at all.

3.) Tournaments. King of the Ring,. Gold Rush, Tag tournament. Whatever. They always make me mark out.

Hero!
July 15th, 2013, 6:22 PM
I like how everyone's answers are just "bring back such-and-such". There's a reason why WWE stopped doing whatever it was, let it go.