PDA

View Full Version : Rating Gimmick Matches #1: Ladder Match

chatty
July 12th, 2013, 10:43 AM
What would you rate as the best ladder matches.

Here is a full list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladder_match Theres probably's some missing but its good to have a look through.

Interesting that TNA has managed to match WWE for number of Ladder Matches in ten year as the E has in 20.

Anyway my list would be:

1. Shawn v Razor I
2. Edge/Christain v Hardys v Dudleys
3. Jericho v Benoit
4. RVD v Eddie
5. Jericho v Michaels

There's a few I could probably switch around quite easily, especially if I watched them again such as Bret v Shawn, Razor v Shawn II, HHH v Rock and there is quite a few I havent seen or really cant remember too well. I havent included TLC or MITB even though they are similar.

Cewsh
July 12th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Do we count TLC matches and MITB matches in this?

chatty
July 12th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Do we count TLC matches and MITB matches in this?

I havent because I might do separate ones but then again I'm not sure if there is enough of the others to make a full thread of it. Just do as you please

Atty
July 12th, 2013, 11:46 AM
1. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho: No Mercy 2008
2. Shawn Michaels vs Razor Ramon: WrestleMania 10
3: The Hardy Boyz vs. Edge & Christian: No Mercy 1999
4. Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit: Royal Rumble 2001
5. Paul London & Brian Kendrick vs. William Regal & Dave Taylor vs. MNM vs. The Hardy Boyz

Really wanted to include The Undertaker vs Jeff Hardy somehow, but ran out of room in the five spots. That match was absolutely brilliant for putting Jeff over and making him a credible option as a singles wrestler.

Andy
July 12th, 2013, 11:47 AM
I find it harder to seperate multi-man matches and one-on-ones than I do TLCs/MITB/ladders.

So if have two seperate lists. The one on ones would go something like:

1. Shawn/Razor
2. Jericho/Benoit
3. Jeff/Taker
4. Edge/Cena
5. Jericho/Michaels

JP
July 12th, 2013, 11:57 AM
1. HHH/Rock
2. HBK/Y2J
3. Benoit/Y2J
4. Undertaker/Jeff Hardy
5. RVD/Eddie

HHH/Rock for me is the benchmark for ladder matches that concentrate on psychology over spots, criminally underrated.

Special mention to Mankind/The Rock.

Even more special mention, cause they were WCW and seemingly forgotten, but Benoit/Jarrett was very good and Eddie/Syxx would crack my top 5 in a mixed list.

Obviously only counting 1 on 1 matches.

Cewsh
July 12th, 2013, 11:59 AM
If I'm including TLC matches that aren't THE TLC matches, my top 5 would go like this:

1. Jeff Hardy vs. The Undertaker
2. The Hardy Boys vs. Edge and Christian
3. Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon
4. Chris Jericho vs. Shawn Michaels
5. Edge vs. Ric Flair

thesamuelcooke
July 12th, 2013, 12:11 PM
1. Chris Jericho vs Shawn Michaels
2. Jeff Hardy vs The Undertaker
3. Shawn Michaels vs Razor Ramon
4. Rob Van Dam vs Eddie Guerrero
5. Chris Jericho vs Chris Benoit

Andy
July 12th, 2013, 1:54 PM
I need to watch Mankind/Rock again. I do think Rock/Trips is somewhat overrated tbh, I like it but it wouldn't make my top 5.

Tainted Eclipse
July 12th, 2013, 2:39 PM
Morrison/Sheamus is probably the best 1v1 ladder match WWE's ever done. I'll watch more and try to come up with a list.

Cewsh
July 12th, 2013, 2:41 PM
I forgot all about that. Fantastic match.

Atty
July 12th, 2013, 3:48 PM
If I were just going with one-on-one matches, Shawn/Razor II might crack my top five. It's hard to say, as I like it much less than their first showing, but really admire what they did in not using the ladder as a weapon, which was the style of the time.

thesamuelcooke
July 12th, 2013, 4:06 PM
If I were just going with one-on-one matches, Shawn/Razor II might crack my top five. It's hard to say, as I like it much less than their first showing, but really admire what they did in not using the ladder as a weapon, which was the style of the time.

http://media.tumblr.com/bd6fa37fb972a9a053d6aceb564e1b19/tumblr_inline_mihr86bJud1qz4rgp.jpg

Anaconda Sniper
July 12th, 2013, 4:39 PM
1. Shawn/Razor WM 10
2. Shawn/Jericho Unforgiven 2008
3. Raw October 2002 Kane vs Spike/Bubba vs Christian/Jericho vs RVD/Hardy
4. Jeff/Taker
5. Christian/RVD for ic title

Atty
July 12th, 2013, 4:47 PM
I also really dug Christian/Jericho on rewatch. I liked their Mania and cage matches more, so it gets overshadowed, but it's very good.

Mills
July 12th, 2013, 5:21 PM
Here's my WWE list:

1. Michaels/Jericho No Mercy 2008. I was very fortunate to be there live for this match.
2. Edge/ Jeff Hardy Extreme Rules 2009. Fantastic match between the two, really carried on with the story of their careers intertwining in ladder matches.
3. E&C/Hardys No Mercy 2000. Textbook example of how to get two teams over without a real story behind them.
4. Michaels/Razor 1 WM 10. The first ladder match that few others have reached in terms of quality.
5. E&C/Hardys/Dudleys WM 2000. Started the TLC trend despite not actually being a TLC match.