PDA

View Full Version : Properties that deserve a good video game

The Rick
July 7th, 2013, 1:56 AM
Licensed games run the gamut of Excellent(Batman, Riddick, Spiderman 2) to deplorable(Superman 64, ET, Fight Club... there are a lot on this side).

- What property would you like to see in a game, and done well?
- What type of game should it be?
- What aspects should they focus on for that property?

The Rick
July 7th, 2013, 2:06 AM
I would like to see a good G.I.Joe game.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuRj0S1YSxoJOQcdUccbUw4ws79jdR8 Yc2rhwy4vNCXXyBFGo5

Ideally I would like it to be a 3rd person action game. I would like the guys who either did Battlefield Bad Company, Vanquish, Warhawk, or Mercenaries. The factions make for a good team vs team game. Multiplayer is a no-brainer, and the game modes would probably be pretty generic(TDM, CTF, FFA, Domination, etc...). Now if the guys who did Warhawk/Starhawk could do the game(in my dreams right?) then you could throw in the cool vehicles that were in the cartoon. There are a shit ton of "unlockable characters" that they can tap into for the game. Some could be for single player, and some could just be skins for multiplayer use.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6QCqgobR0H44CINiV7X5HbcAy0HNZA YRJAKn8RsgFf-aEcJj7bQ

The Rick
July 7th, 2013, 2:21 AM
One more property I would like to see done(doesn't deserve it by any means). Would be the 80's cartoon M.A.S.K.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/wp-content/uploads/MASK.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Z1yLO9C-Q

I would like to see this game in a Twisted Metal type car combat game. Level design is key here. Many of the vehicles on the show fly, but there are some that are amphibious. You need to have a nice mix in the levels where sea buffs are better than the air buffs so the vehicles with airborne ability aren't overpowered.

T.I (uh oh)
July 7th, 2013, 6:25 AM
I think you've hit the nail on the head in the OP but didn't expand on it - Superman deserves something decent - but the source material (in terms of the Superman abilities) really don't lend themselves to video game design. No one enjoys running (or flying) around being massively overpowered. But you also can't strip back Superman's powers for the sake of gameplay progression, because then it wouldn't be Superman. He's not some guy who learns his abilities one by one and has to master them - he just is.

In terms of something that has already had a decent video game, I think Shadowman needs to make a comeback. The first game was amazing (the second one puss). I'd be happy with a similar structure to the first Shadowman, but tighten up some of the controls, and focus the level design around Shadowman's abilities (lots of platforming). Incorporate some massive dungeons scattered with environmental puzzles, set combat areas etc. Would also like to see the pacing improved, in terms of ability progression, and encouraging more exploration of previous completed areas once new weapons/abilities have been acquired. Pack it with some batshit crazy villains, and amp up the gothic and freaky environments. 'We are Legion. For we are many'

Chris
July 7th, 2013, 9:53 AM
I always thought something like Inception would be a great concept for a game. There would be a diverse world-building element, in terms of the dreams that you have to create in order to keep the target engaged. It might have a GTA-style element, with regard to tracking down people with specific skills to join your team and companies chasing you in the real world as a result of your actions. It could blend multiple genres, like shoot-em-up, bea-em-up, espionage and RPG, depending on the mission.

The film has already imposed limits on the concept which fit the restraints of a game - the notion of levels, the fact that you can't do anything too crazy so as not to alert the subconscious projections and the idea that you have to create a dream which appeals to the target's personality or interests (which means the world-building has to have limits). There would also be plenty of user customisation. For example, you could upload a picture or music track to be your personal "totem", and choose whether your character is the "extractor", "architect", "forger", etc. The online aspect could also have a lot of scope. There could be sharing of dream levels, rankings of the best types of character or co-op where you can be recruited for someone's mission based on your skills.

Granted, it would one of those games where you would be instantly dubious about whether they could do the concept justice. Nolan was supposedly toying with the idea back in 2010, but nothing ever came of it.

The Rick
July 7th, 2013, 10:30 AM
I think that there could be good Superman games that can be made, but may have to explore gaming mechanics out of what people might think normal for the genre. It's Superman so you figure it has to have fighting in it right? Well what if there was a choice element to the game ala Mass Effect. You have the power to save lives, and fight the bad guys. You only have so much time, and you are but one man. I think it would be cool if there was a morality mechanic, but getting DC on board might be a tough sell. Or if not a morality mechanic there could be a rating system like Resident Evil, on how well you managed the situation of the day(how many saved versus how many possible).

I think there could be a fun game there, but developers have to think about more than just action beat-em-up. Superman has never been my favorite property, so I don't usually put much thought into it.

Atty
July 7th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Superman is definitely the first thought to come to mind but the very first and very last thing they would need to work on, making sure it's fluid and fun, are the flying controls. Those controls would be key to the game's success. Not just controls, but details. If you fly around and there's nothing up there, it could get routine, so having birds flying around, planes and so forth could make it feel like a real world. Not so many that it's cluttered, but not so few that you're alone. Kind of like the helicopter density in Arkham City.

Then a final level where you go to Apokolips and are having to fight as you fly, could be great.

The other thing they'd need to determine are limits. What can't you do? If there's some invisibile wall that you can't fly above, most every player will find it. If you can do something awesome like break out of the atmosphere into space and then do reentry with flames consuming the screen due to your rapid speed, then that would be a random thing players could do for entertainment outside of the proper game. Games where the main story is all that's there tend to have shorter lives.

Fighting Zod, Metallo, Parasite and ultimately Brainiac/Darkseid, all while Lex has some plan at work could be very groovy. Even someone like Weather Wizard could be great, with you having a Scarecrow-like level when you have to fly through horrible weather conditions that keep changing to save something/someone. It could be that level that's totally different and really cool. Grodd could be a cool level too, with mind control turning the people against you.

The_Mike
July 7th, 2013, 12:55 PM
24. I actually enjoyed the game they made for it, but that's because of the story and the fact it had about two genuinely good levels. The piecemeal approach and mini-games made for a disjointed and unpolished experience. The driving... good grief. But a show like 24 has such a rich universe that is so well set-up for an action-adventure or action-RPG kind of game. Some sort of sandbox like GTA, where you build a career at CTU by going about LA doing missions and thwarting small-scale stuff until building into a serious end-game arc shouldn't be that difficult to pull off and would likely be a really enjoyable way to revisit that world. I doubt a publisher would dare allow it now, but they could let you choose a terrorist career path as well, like when you could be either GDI or NOD in Command & Conquer.

Serenity is a film/show I think could have led to a really good space-trading game. We had enough of the verse set up and enough rules to give the game world structure, so why not turn it into a toybox where you can fly your own ships and ferry your own cargo and all that jazz?

The Doc
July 7th, 2013, 1:44 PM
Superman deserves something good. I don't think that you can't dial him back though for starters if you want. Sure he kinda just is (Smallville from what I saw seemed to suggest that he does actually learn his powers if not one by one certain he doesn't know he has all his abilities from the get go) besides a lot can done with various mastery bits like Mass Effect. Sure he always has super speed but how long did it take him to master using it precisely? Considering Justice League/Superman TAS shows him lobotomize Doomsday and shave using heat vision I and if you count the movies he once performed brain surgery on himself and killed dozens of Doomsday Clones. Clearly there is a lot of on off and how much power must he use on this.

I'd like a game based on WMAC Masters. It was basically a martial arts competition done pro wrestling style with story lines and the like.
It would obviously be a fighting game, probably 3D since much of their matches had to do with ring awareness.

There are three "basic" styles of matches. The Prelims is two guys in a random themed Arena with a bunch of ninjas. The objective is to survive the time limit with the highest score which is a combination of who has the most ninjas defeated and fewest hits on them. (During the show there was usually a lull at the halfway point to let the competitors go at each other but occasionally the "ninjas" were especially tough or two faces would simply decide to have a clean competition) the second match is in a steel cage. Instead of winning by knocking your opponent out you win by knocking them into the cage, each hit grants a point. At this point losers give up their pendant. Once some one has obtained ten pendants they can challenge for the Dragon Star. The Dragon Star challenge takes place on a platform with a pit around it. You lose by getting ring outted.

I think it would be fun just because it would be something different. There was a similar game on the N64 that nobody but me played apparently called Fighter's Destiny, it had take downs, ring outs, insta kills and a few other things. The point being that virtually every fighting game in existence you win by beating the other guy down and depleting his life bar. (I suppose one could argue that Wrestling games don't constitute their own genre and that they have all sorts of neat stipulations but I digress) I think it would be a lot of fun to have a game that didn't focus on that and instead had some other win conditions.

I agree with Mike on Serenity though I think it would be ideal for an MMO.

I kinda miss the 16/32 bit era when people with good properties would just dump their shit off with quality companies and walk away. I know I seem to be the only person who really enjoyed LA Noire but I'd be quite happy to play through Bones with that basic system. Show up, see the crime scene, gather clues, go back to the lab examine things with the help of the Squints, catch the bad guys. Same goes for Dexter except. . .well we aren't gonna be bringing people in for questioning.

Also as a fan of Elite Beat Agents I kinda think a Chipmunks games (based on the 80's cartoons not the modern movies) could be a lot of fun. The boys out, get themselves into trouble that only the power of song can fix and then play. I'm frankly amazed that when Rock Band and Guitar Hero were whoring themselves out that Disney never stepped in and dropped pretty much their entire 90's musical library on them.

And finally Nascar Unlimited though it would probably end up similar to The Rick's Mask idea. I do like the idea of having some racing games be team games.

VHS
July 7th, 2013, 4:08 PM
Woods, wilderness, rough terrains, mercenaries, soldiers, stealth, bow and arrows.... I think what I'm trying to say is...

http://directgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/rambo-first-blood-part-ii-01.jpg

The Doc
July 7th, 2013, 6:02 PM
Didn't they make that and call it Far Cry?

Beefy
July 7th, 2013, 6:04 PM
I kept think all the way through Dredd 3D that that World was perfect for an Arkham City style Sandbox game.

The Law
July 7th, 2013, 7:28 PM
Indiana Jones is the big one that jumps out at me. Seems like a slam dunk: traveling the word collecting artifacts, exploring ancient civilizations, fighting Nazis. Combination platform/stealth/puzzle game. Use Ford's likeness, get him to do the voice, put him on the cover of the game. Hard to imagine that not selling.

"24" seems like it should have a better game than it did. Shooting, driving, interrogating. How hard is it to make a good game out of those elements? Throw in the time aspect and you've got a novelty.

Vice
July 7th, 2013, 7:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Jj3wwXE.gif

That game was about as entertaining as the movies.

ReDPath
July 7th, 2013, 8:40 PM
Both pretty good games. Yeah, people shit all over F13 NES, but I thought it was quite good for what it was. Buffy Chaos Bleeds I also felt was very good, faithful to the series. It was canon, had most of the cast do voice work, you could play as any one of the main characters on the show with different fighting styles, and the controls were ok.

That said, I always felt Friday the 13th would work really well as a grungy survival horror game and another mode where you could play as Jason in a different game mode. As for Buffy, to me its a no brainer, it would make for a great fighter with the expanded universe, including perhaps other Whedonverse characters from whatever Whedon stuff they wanted.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dd/Buffy_the_Vampire_Slayer_-_Chaos_Bleeds_Coverart.png
http://www.strangekidsclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/f13-videogame-box.jpeg

T.I (uh oh)
July 7th, 2013, 8:49 PM
Also as a fan of Elite Beat Agents I kinda think a Chipmunks games (based on the 80's cartoons not the modern movies) could be a lot of fun. The boys out, get themselves into trouble that only the power of song can fix and then play.

This idea is money! I love me some EBA, and the Chipmunks have just the right amount of cheese to pull this off. Although their voices would get rather grating after awhile I would think.

24. I actually enjoyed the game they made for it, but that's because of the story and the fact it had about two genuinely good levels.

This reminds me - although Alias had a game on Xbox/PS2, from all reports it was pretty rubbish. The time has probably passed, but I would still like to see a spy/action game based on it. Kinda like Perfect Dark cross Metal Gear cross OG Tomb Raider maybe?

Atty
July 7th, 2013, 9:11 PM
I'd love a proper Star Trek game. This won't be a fair comparison, but one that's like Mass Effect where you play as some new Captain (who you name) and go around exploring, but can make decisions that change things a good deal and others view of you. And proper space battles, obv.

Peter Griffin
July 7th, 2013, 9:17 PM
traveling the word collecting artifacts, exploring ancient civilizations, fighting Nazis. Combination platform/stealth/puzzle game.

So Uncharted then?

The_Mike
July 7th, 2013, 9:52 PM
I'd love a proper Star Trek game. This won't be a fair comparison, but one that's like Mass Effect where you play as some new Captain (who you name) and go around exploring, but can make decisions that change things a good deal and others view of you. And proper space battles, obv.

There were a couple of pretty good Next Generation games on the PC in the early 1990s (and I think a DS9 one) that worked this way, but unfortunately they were restricted to you being Picard/Sisko on a single long mission rather than being able to explore the galaxy. You could travel, communicate, give orders, send down away teams, allocate power to the shields and blow stuff up, which was good fun, but everything was kind of on rails because there was only one story being told. I'd love to see a proper open world Star Trek game. Haven't really found a game where you are in charge of a ship's crew and go exploring and stuff, ever. Star Trek online took the concept and managed to do it the entirely wrong way.

Atty
July 7th, 2013, 10:02 PM
I really like the idea of taking an unknown Captain (the player), getting a starship and then shaping in via what you do, while having similar entities to those in the series pop in (Q, Klingons, Romulans, Gorn, Andorians, a different Greek God in space and so forth.)

Being able to play as a noble explorer or an unprincipled nut who breaks the Prime Directive and tells a planet he's their God and gets worshipped (on the far other end of the spectrum) would be great. Especially if the later led to Kirk and the Enterprise being sent after you for the "evil" final act, where you're brought down and tossed in jail.

Psycho666Soldier
July 7th, 2013, 10:25 PM

Basically you want KOTOR with Star Trek

Atty
July 7th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Yes, but I chose to name drop Mass Effect... :p

You can't deny it would be great to have a game where you can fly to some developing planet in a tricked out spaceship and make the locals worship you... ...or be boring and not do that.

The_Mike
July 7th, 2013, 11:04 PM
I'd love a game to have some genuine unwinnable scenarios and moral dilemmas. Violating the Prime Directive for your own gain is an attractive direction to take your character, but what if you start breaking the rules to help people or because you don't agree with them? Imagine you've just come across a planet where two intelligent races are constantly at war and are fairly evenly matched, meaning the conflict will drag on for decades and be incredibly bloody unless you find out a way to stop it. Diplomacy just doesn't work with their cultures, so your options are to pick a side and arm it so the conflict ends swiftly, or leave them to it so your hands aren't bloody but a lot more people die. I think there was a TNG episode along these lines and Picard wrestled with himself to figure out what to do.

Beer-Belly
July 8th, 2013, 4:11 AM
Godzilla.

A game that tracks him from pissed off destroyer to monster savior would be excellent. I'm sure that'd be next to impossible to pull off, though.

thesamuelcooke
July 8th, 2013, 2:14 PM
Breaking Bad anyone?

Open world/stealth game with a morality meter. Either GTA or Heavy Rain style game play.

Dunno how to make it interesting though, no clue haha.

Citizen Kane? To stop everyone looking for the Citizen Kane of gaming...

Jacknife
July 8th, 2013, 5:42 PM
I'd like to see a decent Terminator game, as well as an Alien game. They just can't seem to get them right.

Beefy
July 8th, 2013, 6:45 PM
I'd like to see a decent Terminator game, as well as an Alien game. They just can't seem to get them right.

Errrrrrrrrrr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKq1b9CzToE

The Doc
July 9th, 2013, 9:36 AM
Godzilla.

A game that tracks him from pissed off destroyer to monster savior would be excellent. I'm sure that'd be next to impossible to pull off, though.

That would be interesting. I think the problem is that Godzilla rarely really feels like a savior and is instead just defending his turf. I'd totally play that game though.

I actually like the Alien 3 game on the SNES/Genesis quite a bit and there have been quality AVP games as well. I just think it's frustrating they don't routinely knock it out of the park with that franchise not that it's never been done well.

I'd love to get a Batman game that focuses more on the detective aspect of things and less on the action. I find that all of my favorite Batman stories focus on him having to unravel what's going on and less on him being a bad ass. Not to say he doesn't kick ass in them just No Man's Land wasn't primarily about kicking ass.

Atty
July 9th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Breaking Bad anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=fSUK4WgQ3vk

The Rogerer
July 10th, 2013, 8:32 AM
Errrrrrrrrrr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKq1b9CzToEMentally, they made 2 Aliens games for the C64, and that isn't the best one. The other one is such a great idea.

I would have bought the knockoff Dredd game if they'd done one with the last film.

Matty C
July 10th, 2013, 12:40 PM
I agree about 24. They could surely put together an awesome 24 themed game at this point.

Godzilla is tricky. The Godzilla Nintendo fighter was a lot of fun. A more story based entry would appeal to me but I’m a Godzilla nerd. I’m not sure it would appeal to many outside of that demographic. He is most definitely seen as a saviour in many of the early “Vs.” style movies by the way and not just defending his turf. The human characters literally hope for him to save them from the alien monsters running amuck.

I like the Friday the 13th shout. It was a cool NES game, it would make an awesome current gen game IMO.

An open world Star Trek seems so intuitive that I have no idea why it hasn’t been done. It would do extremely well. KOTOR with Star Trek was exactly my thought Psycho.

Now some of my own ideas:

Jurassic Park. That movie just screams for a proper adventure game with massive dinosaurs and puzzles in the yet to be completed amusement park.

The Goonies. This is more for me but the adventure aspect of the movie, the puzzles required to move ahead and the light tone allowing for kids to participate would be a great mix for a video game.

More of a concept than a "property" but: Short Track Car Racing. There are a ton of oval racing fans in the US and Canada that a game surrounding smaller scale racing, building to larger tracks and series, could appeal too IMO. Put in some dirt tracks, different types of cars (sprints, dirt late model, pavement super late model, etc) and make it move from a Mom and Pop style shop to a massive racing team. The NASCAR Road to the Top or whatever it was called games from PS2 were close to this and I loved them.

Cewsh
July 10th, 2013, 12:46 PM
There are very few properties that would really make me buy a game to play in that universe, but Star Wars has gotten me again and again, and an immersive game in the Star Trek universe would have me as a first day buyer.

Atty
July 10th, 2013, 2:03 PM
There are very few properties that would really make me buy a game to play in that universe, but Star Wars has gotten me again and again, and an immersive game in the Star Trek universe would have me as a first day buyer.

Star Trek in the mold of Mass Effect makes so much sense that I have no clue why they haven't done it. New Captain in a new ship, moral choices, upgrading the ship, BOOM.

People like to point out Uncharted as grabbing from Indy, but Mass Effect is basically the same with Trek. It just seems like such an obvious game/series to me.

Cewsh
July 10th, 2013, 2:04 PM
Dear god yes.

The Doc
July 10th, 2013, 2:20 PM
I'm not even a Star Trek fan and that sounds like you'd be printing money so quickly you'd collapse the world economy.

Matty C
July 10th, 2013, 3:00 PM
It's really shocking that it hasn't happened when you think about it. Particularly with the JJ Abrams movies having recreated a buzz around the franchise. We need to crowd-fund this guys.

Gary J
July 10th, 2013, 3:45 PM
Judge Dredd

Atty
July 10th, 2013, 3:59 PM
It's really shocking that it hasn't happened when you think about it. Particularly with the JJ Abrams movies having recreated a buzz around the franchise. We need to crowd-fund this guys.

Yep. Especially with the way JJ rebooted (alternate universe and all.) You could visit locales from the original show and have levels incorporating characters from there that you wouldn't otherwise in a non-Enterprise ship.

Also, with upgrading the ship, I'm pretty much thinking of All Good Things where in the future timeline Riker has tricked out the Enterprise with an extra pod and a giant ass laser. I want a giant ass laser!

The Doc
July 10th, 2013, 4:03 PM
Like I said, I'd buy it and I don't even like Star Trek but once I figured out the controls in Mass Effect I had a pretty good time with that.

Judas Iscariot
July 10th, 2013, 4:14 PM
I have long loved the Mortal Kombat films and think they could easily be converted into a game franchise.

Atty
July 10th, 2013, 4:20 PM
That raises an interesting question: Would the Resident Evil presented in the films make for a good game? I don't think they would.

The Doc
July 10th, 2013, 5:19 PM
Considering Resident Evil movies are just kick ass with monsters I think Devil May Cry stands pretty well as a proof of concept for Resident Evil the Movie the Game.

Until I played The Walking Dead I would probably have never suggested game based on Supernatural but I think I could get behind slowly losing all of my friends as I make the best decisions I can knowing full well shit sucks no matter what I do. then sharing notes with my friends and finding out how differently things turned out if you did make some different situations.

Bill Casey
July 10th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Anchorman...

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/1/17/Anchorman004.jpg/600px-Anchorman004.jpg

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Brick-Tamland-Throws-Trident-Anchorman.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/18c18d153e35481411b68849b488bad4/tumblr_mm4iv19oKw1s85x8bo1_500.gif

in the mold of Mass Effect

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/I-immediately-regret-this-decision-anchorman.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljurgcbl8z1qdz72so1_500.jpg

Throw an alien invasion, a hostage crisis and a zombie outbreak in there and you have yourself a video game...

turdpower
July 11th, 2013, 5:34 AM
We've spoken about this in another thread, but I don't really know if it fits in here.

I've always thought this idea would be the pinnacle of computer games, but don't know realistically if it's possible within the next 10 years?

A game with maps as large as GTA (but bigger, THE WHOLE ACTUAL WORLD), possibilities to move into FPS ala Modern Warefare (or whatever view you want), driving around with controls and realism of GT, be able to drive up to a football stadium and take part in a game as good as FIFA. ETC ETC

It would be called THE COMPUTER GAME and it would be absolutely ace.

The Rogerer
July 11th, 2013, 5:48 AM
I go to the World Cup final, and it's Germany versus England, and I wish that I were playing, and suddenly I am, and I score the winning goal, and they carry me into the dressing room and there's Rooney and Beckham and then Posh Spice walks in and...

turdpower
July 11th, 2013, 5:51 AM
You start playing Singstar?

The Rogerer
July 11th, 2013, 6:12 AM
My alternative joke was that it was going to be a Richard Branson simulator. I'd like a game like yours except you're stuck in the working class and never manage to get further than your own street.

turdpower
July 11th, 2013, 6:18 AM
Was that game Chalie Brooker reviewed on Gameswipe real where you were an alcoholic tramp?

turdpower
July 11th, 2013, 6:21 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/6117777/Violent-tramp-video-game-provokes-controversy-in-France.html

I assume this was it.

The Rogerer
July 11th, 2013, 7:52 AM
Did anyone ever play that 'Hooligan' game that came out over a decade ago... like Command & Conquer/Starcraft but with football hooligans?

The Doc
July 11th, 2013, 12:38 PM
We've spoken about this in another thread, but I don't really know if it fits in here.

I've always thought this idea would be the pinnacle of computer games, but don't know realistically if it's possible within the next 10 years?

A game with maps as large as GTA (but bigger, THE WHOLE ACTUAL WORLD), possibilities to move into FPS ala Modern Warefare (or whatever view you want), driving around with controls and realism of GT, be able to drive up to a football stadium and take part in a game as good as FIFA. ETC ETC

I doubt it very strongly. (Though I'd love to see The World from hack.//sign make an apperance.)

What your talking about is simply too much awesome which usually involves a game trying to do a lot of things but not doing any of them partiulcarly well. That said ten years at current computer change speeds is a LONG time and who the fuck knows if someone is going to come up with a great Facebook app that links dozens of games together coherently.

I've always kinda wondered what would happen if someone figured out how to make a game with lots of "layers" for a lack of better words. Something like Warcraft (3 especially) where your friends playing Farming games would actually increase or decrease your farm abilities, your guys who wanted to grind WoW for the +infinity sword could not only do it but they could deliver it to you troops ala WC3.

Battlefield 4 looks to be taking a step in that direction where the commander plays from a tablet and calls in artilery strikes and summons drones and the like.

The Rick
July 11th, 2013, 12:42 PM
They could do somethings similar now. If Playstation Home was worth anybodies time, it links up with most of your games that are downloaded on your console. So if the world was enlarged, and was allowed to communicate with your games some things could happen. You walk by a stadium and you get a prompt

would you like to play a game of football?

After you indicate, you are then loaded up on that field for play.

SImilar things done for racing games.

The FPS war games would be a bit different though.

The Doc
July 11th, 2013, 2:39 PM
Can we get a WWE game where people who want to play GMs can play GMs to REAL players who play in an actual "sport" style WWE game?

OD50
July 11th, 2013, 3:26 PM
Always wanted a proper He-Man and the Masters of the Universe game. Some kind of third-person hack & slash/action/adventure where you alternate between Adam, He-Man, Man-At-Arms, Teela and Orko for different levels of the game. Maybe some Borderlands/Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions cell shading to go along with that.. :chin:

And an open world Hobbit/Lord of the Rings game, Eldar Scrolls V style would be badass.

/And I know about the guys trying to make a modded MERP version of Skyrim. Who knows if that will ever see the light of day though. :/

Dubya
July 11th, 2013, 6:31 PM
I think Game of Thrones could make a seriously epic RPG game if done correctly ..

lotjx
July 11th, 2013, 9:18 PM
I love all the suggestions like GI Joe and Game of Thrones. I think the Star Trek MMO is the closest you are going to get to KOTOR version of Trek. I would love to see a Ducktales/Darkwing Duck game due to how great the original games were.

The Doc
July 11th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Considering games apparently have an easier time (in general) getting made than movies and the like I'd like to see some cross overs. Back when one was photo-realistic (or whatever the proper term is for MK graphics) and the other was traditional sprides there was a good reason why Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat never happened. That day is gone. Same for a good ole fashioned DC vs Marvel vs Amalglam universe.

Atty
July 12th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Marvel vs. DC would be so brilliant as a fighter.

Always wanted a proper He-Man and the Masters of the Universe game. Some kind of third-person hack & slash/action/adventure where you alternate between Adam, He-Man, Man-At-Arms, Teela and Orko for different levels of the game.

There's actually an iPad game that's exactly that which I've been playing.

Bill Casey
July 12th, 2013, 3:35 PM
Marvel vs. DC would be so brilliant as a fighter.
Fans are working on that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyjrJcPQzHw

http://www.moddb.com/mods/dc-vs-marvel

Matty C
July 12th, 2013, 6:22 PM
In the spirit of Red Dead, with it essentially being a GTA game set in the old West, I'd like to see a Kung Fu style game like that. No guns. Just hand to hand combat with your character out to avenge the death of a family member by some evil clan or something. You go around learning how to fight and depending on how you interact with the world around you create a reputation as a hero or a feared villain, all the while tracking down the baddies that wronged you.

Does something like that already exist?

The Rick
July 12th, 2013, 6:31 PM
In the spirit of Red Dead, with it essentially being a GTA game set in the old West, I'd like to see a Kung Fu style game like that. No guns. Just hand to hand combat with your character out to avenge the death of a family member by some evil clan or something. You go around learning how to fight and depending on how you interact with the world around you create a reputation as a hero or a feared villain, all the while tracking down the baddies that wronged you.

Does something like that already exist?

SO kinda like a cross between Read Dead Redemption and Jade Empire? That would be pretty ace imo. Kinda in a similar era that Samurai Shamploo. Maybe using three characters like said property, and GTAV.

Kyle_242
July 13th, 2013, 2:24 PM
I remember having fun with the GI Joe arcade game that was basically Devastators with a license. Probably hasn't aged well at all, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJo-IuxIugw

Also I remember the NES games being pretty ok, but it might've just been because I was reaaaaaaally into GI Joe at the time. Almost bought the first one at a retro games shop a couple months ago, but the dude wanted too much for it.

For me, it would have to be He-Man. I know there was that iOS platform game, but I can't stand playing games on a touchscreen. Always felt that world has been criminally untapped to this day, though.

Though the Intellivision game was pretty rad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEmAfSKX6bw

The Doc
July 14th, 2013, 3:33 PM
You know what needs a game? Meerkat Mansion.

turdpower
July 23rd, 2013, 4:55 PM
Did anyone ever play that 'Hooligan' game that came out over a decade ago... like Command & Conquer/Starcraft but with football hooligans?

Yes, it was both awful and brilliant.

turdpower
September 5th, 2013, 1:38 PM

GTA are doing this!

As was hinted in the trailers, GTA V contains fully playable golf and tennis mini-games. Except there’s nothing “mini” about them. I got to play both, and it’s like having Tiger Woods PGA Tour and Top Spin hidden inside San Andreas. Several tennis courts dot Los Santos, while the city contains one 18-hole golf course. The mechanics are both familiar and fully functional. Pull the stick back and whip it forward at the right moment on your golf swing, while tennis controls are almost identical to Top Spin’s. It’s surprisingly fun, and tennis can be played in two-player online, while golf can accommodate a foursome in GTA Online. Shooting the breeze with your friends while you hit the links is going to be a huge draw unto itself.

T.I (uh oh)
September 5th, 2013, 7:09 PM
I wonder if you can pull out your gun while playing Tennis/Golf and ice your opponent should you get behind? Or drive your car through the golf course killing those who are playing?
I suspect that they are self-contained modules - but who knows right?

Regardless, it seems highly unnecessary to me. I get that GTA games are about the open-world etc, but judging by the other games in the series, there are going to be game mechanics that are either non-functional or so exploitable that it breaks the balance. Sometimes a narrower focus yields better results, and for me GTA5 just seems to be adding so much stuff that will never get used.

Technically it is amazing, but I don't see the fun factor at all.

The Rick
September 5th, 2013, 7:17 PM
I wonder if you can pull out your gun while playing Tennis/Golf and ice your opponent should you get behind? Or drive your car through the golf course killing those who are playing?
I suspect that they are self-contained modules - but who knows right?

Regardless, it seems highly unnecessary to me. I get that GTA games are about the open-world etc, but judging by the other games in the series, there are going to be game mechanics that are either non-functional or so exploitable that it breaks the balance. Sometimes a narrower focus yields better results, and for me GTA5 just seems to be adding so much stuff that will never get used.

Technically it is amazing, but I don't see the fun factor at all.

Well if you are talking about online competitive multiplayer then I agree. But if you are talking about hitting 18 after a Deathmatch with friends, then I totally disagree. If you have friends that use bugs and exploits to beat you in the game you play with them, then I would say that they are assholes. I love that I can potentially go on a bank heist, hit up a pony(van) race, then finish it off with some tennis. Now I don't know if the tennis is just one-on-one, or doubles also. Regardless, having those activities in the game are just great touches that not many other studios can do.

T.I (uh oh)
September 5th, 2013, 8:09 PM
I'm not just talking about the multiplayer mechanics - just overall game mechanics and systems. From shooting, driving, weapon switching etc to the in-game economy and the communication systems etc.
So many complex, interdependent systems running at once, and so many variant weapons/vehicles etc with their own stats, that balancing it all is a massive feat.

Great touches, and gameplay variety are all well and good, but to me it seems contrived, and out-of-character.
To me it seems like a waste of development resources, spending time and money on these systems which are not core, possibly at the expense of other more important areas. At the end of the day, most people buying a GTA game are doing it for the action, not for the tennis/golf simulator. Jack of all trades, master of none comes to mind.