PDA

View Full Version : Most Shocking Wrestling Moments

Kimura Kid
July 5th, 2013, 1:11 PM
Just re read Cewsh's payback review for the 3rd time. Got me thinking about when Ziggler lost to Del Rio. I was in such shock......That was one of the most shocking moments I've ever had watched wrestling. I couldn't believe it. I had to literally pick my jaw up from the floor. I never thought that outcome was possible. While the match was happening I remember feeling like Ziggler was getting his head blasted to smithereens. The sound of the shots landing echoing throughout the arena where spine tingling. It was so easy to get behind Ziggler in this match. And not only the Smarks but women and children and people that wouldn't normally cheer him got behind him. It was one of the most brutal matches I've ever witnessed live. And I was at WM 13 When the original "Double Turn" went down. That match was brutal but something about Zigglers ability to sell and ADR ruthless aggression and his inhumane beat down made it almost feel real.

Never forget that moment for the rest of my life. I realized during the match I was witnessing something special. Then when Ziggler lost I got furious....quickly it turned into joy once the Mark in me settled down and I realized this was beneficial to both men but more so Ziggler. Cementing himself as a main talent and babyface and successfully pulling of the double turn to perfection.

Please share some of the moments wrestling shocked you!

The Law
July 5th, 2013, 1:29 PM
-Eric Bischoff showing up on Raw in 2002. I think Booker T's priceless reaction was the same that pretty much everyone sitting at home had when that happened.

-Hulk Hogan joining the NWO. Hogan had been a babyface for a solid 15 years when that happened. Him joining the biggest heels in pro wrestling wasn't something anyone saw coming.

-Rikishi being revealed as the man who ran over Steve Austin. If you had held a poll of who it would be the night they revealed it, I don't think anyone would have said Rikishi. I would consider this one of those things that was shocking because it was so dumb.

-Hogan pinning Sting at Starrcade 1997. They ended up restarting the match, but I can only imagine what the initial response would have been like if Twitter had been around in 1997. Again, this falls under "shocking because it was unbelievably stupid."

-Warrior returning at Wrestlemania VIII. Also, when he showed up in WCW in 1998.

-John Cena returning at Royal Rumble 2008. Still one of my favorite wrestling moments.

-Unfortunately, a lot of wrestling deaths: Owen Hart, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Brian Pillman. Going back the 80s, I'm sure the deaths of the Von Erics were pretty shocking. You never log on to a wrestling website expecting to read that someone in their 30s has died, but it happens with tragic frequency.

Jacknife
July 5th, 2013, 1:40 PM
-HBK superkicking Marty Jannetty on the Barbershop.

-Jack Swagger winning the MITB.

-Jericho returning at Royal Rumble 2013.

- Mike Tyson punching out HBK Wrestlemania XIV

-Nash returning and Jacknifing CM Punk

Cewsh
July 5th, 2013, 1:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI_6FI6FZ0Q

The Law
July 5th, 2013, 1:50 PM
That pop was absolutely ridiculous. Also a horrible decision to have him be the stalker. DDP is a face. And if he's a heel, he's a goofy dirtbag. Not a pervert.

Cewsh
July 5th, 2013, 1:51 PM
I love that the fans go from loud boos, to ENORMOUS cheers in about 1 second.

Kdestiny
July 5th, 2013, 2:07 PM
Shelton beating Triple H comes to mind for me as well

Xtreme Rebel
July 5th, 2013, 2:12 PM
Jericho beating Triple H for the title before it was reversed.

Jacknife
July 5th, 2013, 2:22 PM
Can you imgaine how shocking some moments would be if the internet didn't ruin them? Lesnar returning, Nash in the Royal Rumble a couple years ago, etc.

Kneeneighbor
July 5th, 2013, 2:25 PM
Tugboat turning on Hogan and becoming Typhoon.

Note his actual turn was not against Hogan but they were BFFs and then for him to go heel was a shock.

Kneeneighbor
July 5th, 2013, 2:46 PM
Also I will nominate Tuesday in Texas when Jake the Snake slapped Miss Elizabeth. That was mega heel heat at the time to lay your hands on a woman like that.

Cewsh
July 5th, 2013, 2:48 PM
:shifty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXkYTbyquxU

turdpower
July 5th, 2013, 3:10 PM
Heyman on comm was brilliant.

Andy
July 5th, 2013, 3:19 PM
Austin turning at WM17
Edge spearing Jeff Hardy at WM17
Punk winning at MITB11
Foley going off the cell

Jacknife
July 5th, 2013, 3:20 PM
HBK Sweet Chin Music to Hogan on RAW.

Vice
July 5th, 2013, 4:48 PM
Benoit making HHH tap at Wrestlemania.

MMH
July 5th, 2013, 4:57 PM
Tugboat turning on Hogan and becoming Typhoon.

Note his actual turn was not against Hogan but they were BFFs and then for him to go heel was a shock.

As usual it was Hogans fault. Throwing Tugboat out of the Royal Rumble from behind. What a dick.

McBain
July 5th, 2013, 4:59 PM
Benoit making HHH tap at Wrestlemania.

Too right. Incredible scenes.

Chris
July 5th, 2013, 5:12 PM
Also I will nominate Tuesday in Texas when Jake the Snake slapped Miss Elizabeth. That was mega heel heat at the time to lay your hands on a woman like that.
On a similar note, Austin pummeling Lita with a steel chair as she tried to defend Matt Hardy from a beat-down.

Eddie Guerrero's blood loss at Judgement Day 2004 immediately sprang to mind when I saw the title of the thread. Absolutely horrible to see someone in that state.

Jimmy Zero
July 5th, 2013, 10:33 PM
For me, Kane's debut at the end of the first Hell in a Cell match blew my mind.

I didn't follow wrestling online, so I don't know if it was obvious that he was going to debut that night. When the lights went out and the flames exploded out of the entry way, and then he RIPPED THE DOOR OFF THE CAGE and tombstoned Taker, I was just aghast. That will always be my favorite debut ever.

OD50
July 6th, 2013, 4:17 AM
Foley going off the cell

http://ccs.dogpile.com/ClickHandler.ashx?du=http%3a%2f%2fi897.photobucket .com%2falbums%2fac180%2fangelavenger_photos%2funde rtaker-tira-a-mankind-o.gif&ru=http%3a%2f%2fi897.photobucket.com%2falbums%2fac 180%2fangelavenger_photos%2fundertaker-tira-a-mankind-o.gif&ld=20130706&ap=4&app=1&c=info.dogpl&s=dogpile&coi=772&cop=main-title&euip=85.226.91.74&npp=4&p=0&pp=0&pvaid=06b8f9dcb2aa415b8f97b74ee8a4581d&sid=1830193568.1248260039122.1373098492&vid=1830193568.1248260039122.1373008065.8&fcoi=417&fcop=topnav&fct.uid=87eb5b3125b14339b15252aec4bb373e&fpid=765&ep=4&mid=9&en=0WEFU%2fZhSoQrR2QhC9ngyiLWjD1jFApuQYQAxZ4xeD8Qp %2frmUICm1Q%3d%3d&hash=4AC89F497EAAD10EE51578B865DA10D8

Was just going to nominate that one. Crazy when it happened. :eek:

Kimura Kid
July 6th, 2013, 10:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4npGnn1GoV8

Jimmy Zero
July 6th, 2013, 11:13 AM
The only cool thing Taz ever did in a WWE ring.

chatty
July 6th, 2013, 11:39 AM
The Hogan turn would have been shocking but in a minor way Heenan spoilt it for me by basically telling you he was turning heel before he made it to the ring.

Also, I can't remember why but I also expected Cena to show up at the rumble and win it despite him supposedly being injured. I dunno if it was leaked info or just because I been watching that long that i expect the unexpected to happen.

Foley of the cell shocked fuck out of me, not only that but the second bump through it, I remember sitting think what the fuck. Lawler shouting that he was dead had me in stitches though.

Jake setting his cobra on Savage, never expected them to go that far.

kanes necro angle for stupidly shocking.

Shane doing a million foot elbow drop onto big show from the backlash sign. The cusions spoilt it a little but that was still a damn bold move.

Zacharie
July 6th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Pretty much anything Austin did during his in-ring WWF career. That guy was all about shock and one of the main reasons to tune in every Monday night.

And them sick bumps that Foley and Shane McMahon would pull off. I think Shane even did some nastier ones than Foley. Too bad Shane-O didn't become something more, wrestling-wise.

LOCONUT
July 6th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Jakes cobra biting Savage was definitely the most insane holy shit moment of my childhood.

The Road Warriors turning on Dusty Rhodes and using a spike to open the fuck out of his head was also up there.

Dreyski
July 6th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Foley getting faceplanted onto thumbtacks at RR 2000 - the first time I'd seen them in a match. The Shane O/Angle street fight at KotR (2001?) and the window spot.

chatty
July 6th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Oh shit, Montreal, I never expected anything like that to go down on a live PPV

JRSlim21
July 6th, 2013, 5:14 PM
From the vomit files, Papa Shango cursing the Ultimate Warrior, who then started throwing up was shocking (and also very stupid looking in retrospect, but hey when you're a kid...). Also from the vomit files, when Scott Hall came out on Nitro wasted and had the nWo break character to get him out of the ring.

turdpower
July 6th, 2013, 5:38 PM
Is the latter on youtube?

Kneeneighbor
July 6th, 2013, 5:38 PM
The Hogan turn would have been shocking but in a minor way Heenan spoilt it for me by basically telling you he was turning heel before he made it to the ring.

But Heenan had done that for years and years. He always doubted Hogan and put the screws to him. It made sense in the grand scheme of things.

The_Mike
July 6th, 2013, 5:55 PM
But Heenan had done that for years and years. He always doubted Hogan and put the screws to him. It made sense in the grand scheme of things.

Agreed. Heenan's in-character hatred of Hogan was such that he always cast aspersions on him and even when Hogan was a heel, Heenan continued to bad-mouth him. I'm also not sure if Heenan had any idea Hogan was going to turn there, WCW tended to keep people in the dark about what was going to happen, either on purpose or simply because they still hadn't decided by curtain time.

chatty
July 6th, 2013, 6:48 PM

Maybes so but as soon as he said that, it just put it straight in my mind that something was up. There was no other need for Hogan to come down in the grand scheme of things and with a third person announced it just seemed to fit. Maybes it didnt do it for other bit for me it put me onto it.

Hero!
July 6th, 2013, 7:26 PM
Let's see:

CM Punk's shoot was pretty damn shocking. I couldn't believe the shit he was saying and whether or not it was approved beforehand. It absolutely broke my perception of what's real & what isn't.

Brock coming back shocked the fuck outta me. I'd heard the rumors, but Bert had me CONVINCED that it was an April fool's joke, so when Lesnat's music hit...Jesus Christ, I damn near fell on the floor.

Miz's title win was a great shock. He wasn't even anywhere near the title scene at the time, as everyone had been dealing with Nexus. I thought Barrett was gonna win, so when he lost, I was bummed, but I NEVER thought Miz would come out and cash in. We went MENTAL in the MSN chat, so I know this caught everyone off guard.

Kdestiny
July 6th, 2013, 7:43 PM
Triple H marrying Stephanie and coming out during the Test wedding is up there too.

BullyRayStoleMyLunch
July 9th, 2013, 2:59 PM
Bischoffs WWE Debut - left me open jawed.

The Benoit Murders - as fans, having some idea what this business is like, performers dying young rarely shocks us. But this was like nothing before it.

Will always remember Savage being bitten by the Cobra. Ok, we all know who really came off worse nowadays, (hint: if you're a hungry snake, biting into an overly steroids guys ARM is a BAD idea!) but I was jumping across the room at the time.

From the same period, Hogan losing the title to Taker: The finish was less than clean, but given Hogan had (Warrior aside) pretty much always been seen as unstoppable made it very odd to see at 8yrs old.

chatty
July 9th, 2013, 3:03 PM
Actually one of my most shocking moments was benoit winning the Rumble, I honestly didn't even really factor him as a live competitor in that one and was seriously over the moon with the result.

OD50
July 9th, 2013, 3:14 PM
Ah shit, forgot about the biggest shocker ever. To me at 12-years old at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu7AS0iavuM

I kind of believed Hogan would be WWF champ forever. Him 'losing' at that time was just mind boggling.