PDA

View Full Version : The TNA Signing and Release Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Cewsh
July 3rd, 2013, 12:45 PM
We should definitely have one of these for the revolving door that is the TNA roster. And there's no better time than now, with the announcement of a bunch of releases.

It looks like Crimson, Taeler Hendrix, Sam Shaw, Joey Ryan, and Christian York have all been released, and Madison Rayne's contract has expired and she was not resigned.

Cewsh
July 3rd, 2013, 1:38 PM
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/CewshReviews/1Twitter_zps62c4d516.png

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jacknife
July 3rd, 2013, 1:40 PM
Is it bad I've never heard of Taeler Hendrix, Sam Shaw, or Christian York?

Rip
July 3rd, 2013, 1:42 PM
I'm calling it, within 3 months it'll be gone.

Or owned by someone who's surname rhymes with NcNahon

Hero!
July 3rd, 2013, 1:54 PM
I care about literally none of those people. TNA has a pretty significantly talented roster, no need to keep these people around. If finances are tight, they should probably ditch developmental.

Cewsh
July 3rd, 2013, 2:08 PM
Well the funny thing is that these people represent almost all of the winners of their Gutcheck Challenge that they've invested a ton into, as well as a guy that they built for over a year as unbeatable.

Cold_Hearted_Truth
July 3rd, 2013, 2:51 PM
York should have been paying TNA to let him perform. An utter useless roided out piece of shit. I think Madison is one of their better knockout workers, but can't say I care any of those names are gone.

Next person they should get rid of is Brooke Hogan. I'm sure she's making a pretty penny to be the talentless hack she is.

Next up on the hit list:
Brooke Hogan
Rob Terry
ODB
Rockstar Spud
Chavo
Hernandez (probably after BFG series)
Eric Young
one of Knux/Doc

And if they're not going to use him, Matt Morgan. Also wish Taz would piss off, but he's kissing someone's ass to keep his job. Gunner is really lucky IMO to get involved in the Storm angle when he did (as he'd be gone too IMO)

Cewsh
July 3rd, 2013, 2:52 PM
I don't see how they keep any member of Aces and Eights not named Dudley after the angle is over.

Matthew
July 3rd, 2013, 2:52 PM
the only way id accept big rob terry leaving is if he went to wwe or became ruler of the planet

Cewsh
July 3rd, 2013, 2:54 PM
I second that.

Cewsh
July 3rd, 2013, 2:56 PM
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/CewshReviews/Miscellaneous/tumblr_mg1f1dijD11qk2t5po2_250.gif

Mills
July 3rd, 2013, 3:13 PM
Maybe this is the reason why Sting is sending feelers to WWE?

Peter Griffin
July 3rd, 2013, 3:23 PM
Hahahahaha The beginning of the end. I doubt there will be a invasion angle this time mind, because no fucker watches TNA. (I may be talking shit, but just as many people watch TNA here in the UK as in the States)

Jacknife
July 3rd, 2013, 3:42 PM
I thought you were from Quahog?

Peter Griffin
July 3rd, 2013, 3:48 PM
HoHoHo

Peter Griffin
July 3rd, 2013, 3:59 PM
Sam Shaw has been removed from the story.

son_of_foley
July 3rd, 2013, 4:14 PM
Hahahahaha The beginning of the end. I doubt there will be a invasion angle this time mind, because no fucker watches TNA. (I may be talking shit, but just as many people watch TNA here in the UK as in the States)
Yeah Fuck yeah. Thank god that there will be less wrestling on free to air tv eh?

Cretin

Peter Griffin
July 3rd, 2013, 4:16 PM
Oh fuck off SOF :wanker:

Peter Griffin
July 3rd, 2013, 4:18 PM
If it was decent wrestling I wouldn't be so happy about it, but I cant stand it (at the minute). Which is a shame because about 3 years ago (when McGuiness first came in) I was a big fan.

son_of_foley
July 3rd, 2013, 4:24 PM
Yeah you're still a cretin.

Yay people lose their jobs.
Yay less choice as a consumer.

Don't like it don't watch it. Celebrating it going out of business makes you an absolute dick.

Post some more smilies though at least you can't typo them*

*Is aware of the irony

Peter Griffin
July 3rd, 2013, 4:28 PM
Perhaps if TNA goes bust challenge may put some deal together for a decent British show together?

I'm really not sure were this problem with me has come from, thought we got on, goes to show I know the square root of fuck all.

Peter Griffin
July 3rd, 2013, 4:32 PM
To be fair I would rather you call me a dick head or a cunt, for some reason I find cretin more offensive.

VHS
July 3rd, 2013, 5:09 PM
I don't watch TNA, but I don't want to see it go under and have a lot of talented guys have to search for new jobs.

Cewsh
July 3rd, 2013, 5:11 PM
Yeah, after WCW and ECW were bought by WWE, a lot of people had to just leave the industry, because they couldn't make a living on the indies, and couldn't get steady work with WWE or in Japan. It's bad for the industry.

Peter Griffin
July 3rd, 2013, 5:13 PM
Ok then, maybe Ted Turner can buy it and we can have The Monday Night Wars again.

Cewsh
July 3rd, 2013, 5:20 PM
Ted Turner doesn't control the television programming anymore. Without tv, there's no sense in anyone investing in a national promotion.

Peter Griffin
July 3rd, 2013, 5:22 PM
Well you get my drift, someone that could take the company to a legit challenger to WWE. I don't actually want TNA to go bust, I was just laughing because its so fucking shit when it could be so good.

Cewsh
July 3rd, 2013, 5:30 PM
I think making TNA into a competitor to WWE on a national, let alone global, landscape would require a complete overhaul of staff, a complete change in company vision, and at least 10 years of serious quality. None of that is ever going to happen. WWE really is an incredible anomaly that won't ever be challenged by anyone unless it falls apart by its own doing.

maxxmisery
July 3rd, 2013, 6:13 PM
I don't agree that current management/writing is a great thing with TNA, but it would be a damn shame to see them fold up shop. I like having something else to watch, it feels different after seeing a thousand hours of WWE programming a week with the same old people. I just love watching all wrestling programming, so the more the better imo.

Cewsh
July 3rd, 2013, 6:16 PM
So here's a small list of TNA news from today.

- A bunch of wrestlers released.
- Company wide cost cutting alongside the revelation that several wrestlers haven't been paid in over a month.
- WWE announces that it has bought the Impact Zone to use as their Hall of Fame.
- TNA re-signs Taz.

The is the TNAiest day of all time.

Pipkin
July 3rd, 2013, 6:31 PM

- Company wide cost cutting alongside the revelation that several wrestlers haven't been paid in over a month.
- WWE announces that it has bought the Impact Zone to use as their Hall of Fame.
- TNA re-signs Taz.

Wow, this really is a dark day for TNA. Re-signing Taz could mark the beginning of the end.

Vice
July 3rd, 2013, 6:36 PM
Ok then, maybe Ted Turner can buy it and we can have The Monday Night Wars again.

The Monday Night BORES more like lol

One Man Gang
July 3rd, 2013, 7:08 PM

- TNA re-signs Taz.

Well the WWE didn't announce the HoF, the newz sites are reporting that's the plan. It could just end up being another case of putting the cart before the horse. Though it does make sense given the location.

But when Tazz said he re-signed with TNA, the first thing I thought of was "I guess WWE didn't want him."

The_Mike
July 3rd, 2013, 8:07 PM
I don't want to see people lose their jobs or the industry lose its only significant alternative to WWE's watered-down store-brand kool-aid. Still, I can understand the impulse to be somewhat smug about seeing TNA's appalling management finally seeing the whole thing fall apart. This is really their doing. Running a wrestling promotion is hard and it can seem too easy to armchair book when you don't have to deal with clashing egos and real people every day, but TNA just squandered every chance it got, and it did so with enthusiasm. It also had a habit of engaging in pretty unsavoury business practices, including paying women like shit even if they outdrew everybody else, just because they don't have magic rods in their trunks that grant them the permission to be taken seriously. Carter seemed a lot more interested hanging out on camera with big names like Sting and Hogan than in making new stars, and eventually even a hardcore wrestling fan like myself got sick of wading through a river of self-indulgent, derivative crap just to find the odd nugget that was a decent AJ Styles or Sarita match.

Of course, if TNA really does go, those women won't get paid anything and there won't be any nuggets to find. So there's that.

JustDuett
July 3rd, 2013, 8:45 PM
**First off, I have stayed away from taping spoilers, so some of my comments may be completely off base, just a warning**

I hate the rumblings going around and really hope that maybe they are not completely true. I am not the biggest TNA fan, but I am one of the ones that loves any type of alternative that I can view consistently. It really does seem like there is something fundamentally not working up top within the company and it always seems to trickle downhill. While the booking of storylines and shows is not necessarily indicative of problems going on with the corporate side, in TNA's case the booking definitely seems to be a symptom of the overall problems. They never (or hardly ever) seem to be able to realize the potential they have in a storyline once it is started and that almost always leads to them blowing it and running the storyline, probably the talent, and a little bit the overall company further into the ground. I really do enjoy watching the show for the most part, and am looking forward to the Destination X "live" Impact here in Louisville in a couple of weeks, but more times than not, I am fast-forwarding through the product because it all just seems ridiculously put together and short-minded. I had such high hopes for the AJ storyline (even if it were possibly going the way of 96-97 Sting), but they seem to have changed direction midstream and are taking it somewhere much less climactic. That storyline is just one of most every storyline that gets flubbed in some way and as I said before, I think the erratic booking is just an end result of the company being run the way it has been. I really do not want to see it close down, and with its current state, I don't know who would want to come in and buy it, but I would be intrigued to see someone (Not a Hogan/Bischoff entity haha) buy it if they are really in dire financial straits. Fresh eyes, or more wrestling-minded eyes, controlling the finances and the corporate side of things may really help out in the end, but it does seem that there is A LOT of help needed to keep this ship afloat.

Poor decision to leave the Impact Zone IMO. The atmosphere (on TV) appears much more energized than at the Impact Zone, but good grief the gates are small and there is hardly anyone in those arenas outside of the camera shot. WWE can afford all the glitz and glamour of arena shows on a 2 nights a week basis, TNA probably needed to stick to the Impact Zone, or something similar.

The Rick
July 3rd, 2013, 8:45 PM
Eric Young

Not while he has the show on Animal Planet. While he has a face on a different show, he can steer people back to the Impact product. Impact can't lose that possibility. It might not be a big number of people that he brings, but some is better than the goose egg that others might be bringing.

ratings for his show on Sunday June 23
Off the Hook: Extreme Catches (8:00) - Animal Planet
0.718 million viewers, #32; 0.308 million adults 18-49 (0.2 rating), #34

Off the Hook: Extreme Catches (8:30) - Animal Planet
0.700 million viewers, #33; 0.319 million adults 18-49 (0.3 rating), #32

futoncritic link for info (http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratings/2013/06/25/sundays-cable-ratings-skywire-live-true-blood-dominate-viewers-demos-41412/cable_20130623/)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WofK-GDbjwA

virms
July 3rd, 2013, 11:04 PM
Sting supposedly gets paid 500k a year. I do believe if he went elsewhere tna could save some money and probably keep afloat.

the_man_diva
July 4th, 2013, 2:12 AM
Isn't Christy Hemme also one of - if not THE - highest-paid Knockout? I remember a couple years back they released the news about the women being paid lower ... and she was pulling in like $175,000 ... to ring announce. I love Christy, but you could easily cut her, save money, and hire someone else if funds are THAT tight.

I'd get rid of Bischoff, anyone with the last name Hogan, STOP trying to pull in celebrity guests from reality shows to "wrestle" or be part of storylines, stop jumping on every wrestler's dick that gets the axe from WWE, and cut some of your non-wrestling, auxiliary characters ... for a company the size of TNA/Impact, you don't need so many damn non-wrestlers. WHY is there a VP of the Knockouts Division when you have a WOMAN who is the LEADER of the company. Put Dixie in the role that Brooke is playing ... hell, have Dixie just be the on-air boss, and you won't have to pay ANYONE to play the role.

Let Sting go to WWE and have that big 'Mania match with Undertaker. He'll be set after that. Let him get his WWE Hall of Fame induction. Let Kurt Angle get his final WWE run that he wants so badly too ... that gives TNA ample time to pull in and save more funds, while building up new stars who will cost less.

Return to the Impact Zone, or something in similar size, because that's obviously KILLING them too. Be consistent with your booking. You don't have to sign EVERYONE that comes in through the door, ain't no shame in using people for one-off appearances or even LOCAL talent to help build your stars up.

PS: If TNA would just do its OWN thing and stop worrying about trying to compete, they would be tremendously successful. They aren't going to be at WWE's global level just yet, so enjoy the ride and worry about putting out the best product possible ... they already have some of the most AMAZING talent.

Zacharie
July 4th, 2013, 3:49 AM
Make this shit more about the X division. Keep Angle, and get rid of everyone else who doesn't fit into the X division style. Styles, Joe, Daniels, and Aries are the dudes I wanna see at the top along with Kurt.

Bluegunn
July 4th, 2013, 1:51 PM
Is it bad I've never heard of Taeler Hendrix, Sam Shaw, or Christian York?

The fact you never heard of York just means you never watched any ECW.
Seems like yesterday that Crimson was the next Goldberg.

Cewsh
July 4th, 2013, 1:52 PM
Why? He was hardly a big name in ECW.

Hero!
July 4th, 2013, 1:58 PM
BUT HE WAS EXTREEEEEME

OD50
July 4th, 2013, 2:43 PM
I thought York looked horrible in TNA. Slow, sloppy and roided to the gils and yet he was supposed to be this high pace, high flying X-division guy.

Speaking of the X-division, it sure has sucked since that stupid 3-way rule was made.

They should can Jay Bradley while they're at it, dude's been wrestling since 1999 yet still looks totally awkward in the ring.

StoneColdWWE316
July 4th, 2013, 5:55 PM
I don't get why they made every X-Division bout a Triple Threat. It waters down the concept of a 3-Way.

Bagel
July 4th, 2013, 11:22 PM
I don't get why they made every X-Division bout a Triple Threat. It waters down the concept of a 3-Way.

It's TNA, they'll change this in a couple months and hope nobody notices.

The_Mike
July 4th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Months? They'll change it next week.

Cewsh
July 4th, 2013, 11:53 PM
They actually literally changed it last week.

McBain
July 5th, 2013, 12:32 AM
To what?

Cewsh
July 5th, 2013, 3:03 AM
Status quo.

the_man_diva
July 5th, 2013, 5:48 AM
Make this shit more about the X division. Keep Angle, and get rid of everyone else who doesn't fit into the X division style. Styles, Joe, Daniels, and Aries are the dudes I wanna see at the top along with Kurt.

This.

Make it about the X-Division and the Knockouts Title, X-Division is exciting and the Knockouts are repeated ratings winners.

Cewsh
July 9th, 2013, 5:31 PM
From Prowrestling.net

TNA wrestler Matt Morgan is telling colleagues that TNA released him from his contract on Tuesday. It was well known within the TNA locker room that Morgan asked company officials for his release a month ago.

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/CewshReviews/tumblr_mlxie1TlEf1r3hfzbo1_400_zps1eb9ee24.gif
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/CewshReviews/johnny2yf22_zps6c19cd02.gif
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/CewshReviews/dO2nI_zps7cdf9b62.gif
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/CewshReviews/Miscellaneous/MsELz_zps6dcdb38b.gif

MikeHunt
July 9th, 2013, 5:33 PM
You are celebrating someone losing their job?

Cewsh
July 9th, 2013, 5:34 PM
He asked to leave. So yes.

MikeHunt
July 9th, 2013, 5:38 PM
Dick.

Cewsh
July 9th, 2013, 5:39 PM
Don't care. Too busy partying.

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/CewshReviews/Miscellaneous/Highfive.gif
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/CewshReviews/Miscellaneous/c.gif
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/CewshReviews/Miscellaneous/funny-gifs-reprise.gif
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/CewshReviews/Miscellaneous/ClP2X.gif
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/CewshReviews/Miscellaneous/1280235400688.gif

Peter Griffin
July 9th, 2013, 6:33 PM
Cewsh I like you but I hope Matt Morgan tracks you down and gives you the carbon footprint.

Hero!
July 9th, 2013, 6:34 PM
Oh god, either I'm gonna be seeing him more often (if he comes home) or he's going back to WWE.

i do not like either of these things.

Cewsh
July 9th, 2013, 6:34 PM
I don't. Being in a room with him causes pushes to spontaneously combust.

Hero!
July 9th, 2013, 6:37 PM
I have been in the same room as him on several occasions. Perhaps this is why my push in life seems to keep slowing down. O_O

Vice
July 9th, 2013, 6:38 PM
You're very far from the glass ceiling, at least.

Hero!
July 9th, 2013, 6:41 PM
Was...

Was that a short joke ..?

Peter Griffin
July 9th, 2013, 6:42 PM
I hope WWE do pick him up and have him win one of the world titles just to troll Cewsh.

Cewsh
July 9th, 2013, 6:44 PM
I don't actually hate Matt Morgan himself. I hate him in TNA.

Mills
July 9th, 2013, 6:51 PM
The giant is dead!

Vice
July 9th, 2013, 6:51 PM
Was...

Was that a short joke ..?
It's very possible it went over your head.

Cold_Hearted_Truth
July 9th, 2013, 7:05 PM
Strange that Morgan was a Free Agent last summer, then came out of crowd in his return for BFG to help Joey Ryan IIRC. Then, they proceed to use him sparingly.

Not sure where he'd fit in with WWE. Maybe he'll go to Japan or indy scene. He definitely needs to be aligned with someone IMO. Amazing he was on Tough Enough 2 12 years ago. Really thought he'd be much farther along in his wrestling career success wise than he is.

mth
July 9th, 2013, 8:48 PM
Last I saw a picture of him, he was rocking a pretty solid beard, yeah? So if he goes to WWE, he could slot into the Wyatt Family then.

Zacharie
July 9th, 2013, 9:28 PM
I hope WWE only takes him if they plan on giving him a serious push. If not, why even bother? He'd probably just turn out like poor Albert.

Rip
July 10th, 2013, 3:10 AM
He annoys me, he has the physical ability, the look, he's a decent talker when given the right material, yet somehow he just doesn't quite work.

He reminds me an awful lot of Test.

Vice
July 10th, 2013, 3:14 AM
Well TNA did kind of bury him...

Rollingthunderuk
July 10th, 2013, 8:49 AM
I heard they finally cut the Knockout Tag team titles. I liked the idea, but you do kind of need more than 8 women in your roster to have a competitive women's single division let alone a tag division. And having less Miss Tessmacher time on TV makes me sad...

On another note, the possibility of having Angle at WM30 may be a bit more real. Angle vs Bryan Vs Punk. This would make me very happy...

Zyphlin
July 10th, 2013, 9:44 AM
Man, reading this thread just kind of makes me sad. I used to be one of the big TNA fanboys on the site but had to finally face reality. I'm actually somewhat maazed the thing is still running at this point. I really think they could've had a chance to become a more major factor but just could never fully go in one direction or fully embrace innovation.

McBain
July 10th, 2013, 9:51 AM
I feel the same. I barely even read results these days, the whole thing is a mess.

Rollingthunderuk
July 10th, 2013, 10:32 AM
I have about 12 weeks worth of TNA to watch on my SKY+ box. Finding it hard to motivate myself to watch it.

StoneColdWWE316
July 10th, 2013, 6:34 PM
TNA had so much potential then Hogan came in and ruined it all. Im amazed some of these die-hard TNA marks think its so much better today.

Peter Griffin
July 10th, 2013, 7:05 PM
I really don't think you can blame Hulk for everything.

mr sabu
July 10th, 2013, 11:19 PM
blame who ever came up with the idea off take out Joseph park and have abyss take his place.........

StoneColdWWE316
July 11th, 2013, 1:06 AM
I really don't think you can blame Hulk for everything.

No but he's been behind most of it and they had a couple chances to become the legit #2. They just haven't done it.

Mills
July 11th, 2013, 2:12 AM
Its a legit #2, but its settled for being a better Indy promotion with a tv deal

son_of_foley
July 11th, 2013, 3:23 AM
Would like to think the pre-orders for UK tour have cleared their finiancial difficulties but to be honest I have no idea of the scale of either amount but I would guess that the UK tour is a nice windfall each year.

They should come over and do an extended summer tour or similar. There's a lot of wrestling starved places in the UK and they could quite comfortably do 3-4 shows a week to good crowds

Peter Griffin
July 11th, 2013, 3:29 AM
It may be a anomaly but this years event in Notts was noticeably less well attended than the year before.

son_of_foley
July 11th, 2013, 3:38 AM
Dublin was pretty much sold out. I believe London sold out did it? They had increased ticket prices by a good bit as well if I remember correctly.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was among their most successful weeks every year.

Also I thought Slammiversary did ok in Boston with ticket sales?

I guess I'm probably not factoring in a Hogan and Sting salary though....

Peter Griffin
July 11th, 2013, 3:42 AM
Probably why Notts isn't on the tour this time :shifty:

I think* they gave away a good proportion of tickets for that show, you are right about us being wrestling starved mind, and I missed a independent show headlined by Jay Lethal in Nottingham recently as I didn't find out till afterwards. :sad:

Jacknife
July 11th, 2013, 8:04 AM
I think TNA needs to fail, and then something really awesome will rise out of it's ashes.

son_of_foley
July 11th, 2013, 8:16 AM
I think TNA needs to fail, and then something really awesome will rise out of it's ashes.

Dunno. Think TV companies etc would be slow to give something else a real chance.

I read, although its probably wrong, that TNA gets higher viewing figures in the UK than Raw. Understand the channel choice is the massive driver for that but still pretty impressive

Cewsh
July 11th, 2013, 11:25 AM

Like how TNA rose from WCW's?

The same talent and leadership would wind up at the new place and drive it into the ground.

OD50
July 11th, 2013, 11:38 AM
I haven't watched an entire episode of Impact in months, something just feels very, very.. Off.

The Sucka
July 11th, 2013, 12:06 PM
I read, although its probably wrong, that TNA gets higher viewing figures in the UK than Raw. Understand the channel choice is the massive driver for that but still pretty impressive

But you have to look at that and factor everything in. Impact is on a free to air channel that everyone has at about 9pm or something like that (don't watch it so don't know). RAW is on at 1am on Sky Sports which to have you need to have a Sky or Virgin Media box and then on top of that you need to have paid for the very expensive Sport packages.

So realistically a 9pm showing of Impact on a channel that 100% of Wrestling fans have is always going to get higher ratings than a 1am showing of RAW on a channel that maybe 50% of Wrestling fans have.

Rip
July 11th, 2013, 3:15 PM
If you count in the replays of Raw and the recorded viewings I'd doubt it, although I'd be willing to bet a higher percentage of British wrestling fans watch Impact than the co-responding number of US fans.

Jaymz
July 11th, 2013, 5:50 PM
Its a legit #2, but its settled for being a better Indy promotion with a tv deal

The problem is that TNA was amazing when it literally was an Indy promotion with a TV deal.

I think it was the growth that management at TNA didn't know how to handle. It's one thing to be ahead of all the other indy promotion, but when you start taking aim at WWE, that's a massive leap. The sheer infrastructure, fanbase and talent at WWEs disposal and clear market leadership means it's going to take something truly special to have real competition.

Cewsh
July 11th, 2013, 5:51 PM
JAYMZ. Haven't seen you around in forever.

Jaymz
July 11th, 2013, 6:03 PM
I've been off on my travels again, so flitting around and not paying too much attention to TNA of late beyond reading results regularly. My travels end in a few weeks when I take up a new job, so all should be good to beomce more of a regular.

TNA appears to have no direction of late. Looking at the champs, barring Abyss, all seems fine. Bully Ray/AA/Angle should hold the world championship, Sabin holding the X-Division belt makes sense and Mickie James as the KO champion is a safe choice. Gunner & Storm as tag champs is fine, but tag wrestling seems to have gone out of vogue lately.

If I'm honest, stable feuds aren't doing anything for me of late. The Shield, while their impact is undeniable, their motives are still nothing more than arbitrary after all this time. Aces and 8's, with their 'Take over TNA' motive? Until they hold the gold and essentially have their own PPV, no-one will believe it. It all seems to be lacking focus.

TNA could be doing a lot worse than trimming the roster down and building things up around a core of great talent. It's easy to forget that when TNA was at their best, it was very uncomplicated, with a focus on the in-ring action, and they'd be very well served by going back in that direction at least in the short term.

Cewsh
July 11th, 2013, 6:22 PM
I just badly want to see a TNA without Aces and Eights. The angle has been going on for so long that the shows won't ever really be interesting until its done away with.

Hero!
July 11th, 2013, 6:24 PM
Aces and Eights is just such a stable of shit, with only Bully & Devon being remotely interesting. The rest of TNA is just a mess of meaningless storylines and characters doing fuck all. TNA needs a god damn overhaul.

Version 6
July 11th, 2013, 6:43 PM
TNA needs a god damn overhaul.

If I had a dollar for every time I've read that sentence.

TNA had it right when they signed Christian and built their shows around him. He really was the perfect acquisition for them at the time and they really did get the mix right.

The match quality was there, and there was still that element of "star power" without it seeming like they were just bringing guys in who didn't have anywhere else to go.

Hero!
July 11th, 2013, 6:55 PM
Christian elevated everyone he worked with and made himself an absolute money star. Unfortunately, TNA forced his hand when they brought in Angle and forgot all about CC. Damn shame, I'm sure he would have stayed, regardless of whatever money WWE offered him, if TNA would have kept him in the main event.

Dude probably figured: "TNA doesnt want me in the Main Event anymore? I can get paid much better as a midcarder in the WWE."

Cewsh
July 11th, 2013, 7:00 PM
A lot of guys have thoughts that. Especially around that time.

Version 6
July 11th, 2013, 7:06 PM
I'd say he'd have seen TNA as a good break from travel and an opportunity to spend a few years with his family before going back on the road to earn that WWE money.

Hero!
July 11th, 2013, 7:10 PM
TNA brought him as a real big deal, though. He was the first person to willingly decline an offer from the WWE to go there and he was instant main event.

Then again, the travel thing is a pretty big deal too. Hell, Christian lives in Florida and could just drive on over to work.

JRSlim21
July 11th, 2013, 11:16 PM
I wanna see TNA built around a face champion. Or even a tweener champion. Based on my assumptions of the BFG Series, we could be headed that way. I know "babyface chasing the dominant heel champ" is the safest money bet in pro wrestling, but why not change it up. Cena gets booed out of the building and is laughing all the way to bank.

Peter Griffin
July 16th, 2013, 7:48 PM
TNA Impact Wrestling revealed today via their official Twitter page today that former Knockouts Champion Tara has been released.

TNA wrote:

"Impact Wrestling has released Tara. We thank Tara for all her contributions and wish her the best of success in the future."

Mills
July 16th, 2013, 8:05 PM
Terrible news. She was hot and really kicked ass

Peter Griffin
July 16th, 2013, 8:10 PM
Well I dunno about that, but figured I would post seeing as it seems TNA is getting rid of a fair few at the min. If they should get rid of anyone its the WWE rejects from Aces and Eights.

JRSlim21
July 16th, 2013, 8:26 PM
Just Bischoff and Wes. I'm fine with the others.

Jacknife
July 16th, 2013, 8:50 PM
Fire the whole roster and hire Scott Steiner to ramble for 2 hours every Thursday.

Mr_Nobody
July 16th, 2013, 8:55 PM
I do have a question. How come, when WWE lets someone go, the headline reads WWE releases so and so, but when TNA does it, it's TNA fires so and so?

Peter Griffin
July 16th, 2013, 9:01 PM
Last few times they have used the term released, I really dont remember them using the term fired before today, certainly not recently.

JRSlim21
July 16th, 2013, 9:09 PM
The Director of Chaos bites the dust. DOC is the latest cut.

Maybe we should do the TNA Dead Pool next year

Hero!
July 16th, 2013, 9:10 PM
Holy shit, really? I wonder if he asked for his release to come back to WWE...Punk could use a friend right now

Mr_Nobody
July 16th, 2013, 9:10 PM
Where did you see that?

Hero!
July 16th, 2013, 9:12 PM
Does TNA have a no-compete like WWE? Aren't most of their guys non-contract anyway?

Hero!
July 16th, 2013, 9:13 PM
Where did you see that?

Gallows announced it on Twitter

Mr_Nobody
July 16th, 2013, 9:15 PM
I hate that. But maybe he'll get picked up by WWE.

Hero!
July 16th, 2013, 9:17 PM
He'd make a great cornerman for Punk at SS. I don't think Colt or Compton or up to anything, Punk really needs to bring them down with him, like MMA fighters do with their crews.

mth
July 16th, 2013, 9:34 PM
I'd be glad to see Gallows back in WWE. I think he's still got potential for success there.

JRSlim21
July 16th, 2013, 9:46 PM
He'd make a great cornerman for Punk at SS. I don't think Colt or Compton or up to anything, Punk really needs to bring them down with him, like MMA fighters do with their crews.

TEH INTERNETZ WULD LUV DIS!!!

Seriously though, that would be a fantastic idea. Punk continues on as the voice of the voiceless and brings back his friends to aid him in his quest.

Hero!
July 16th, 2013, 10:16 PM
Just imagine it:

Lesnar comes out with Heyman and Axel by his side. Punk comes out, grabs a mic and says "You may have your clients, Paul, but I have my family." and out come Compton, Cabana, Gallows, and maybe a Gracie or two.

Cewsh
July 16th, 2013, 10:21 PM
:lol:

The rats can smell the ship burning before the captain does.

Hero!
July 16th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Does seem like its ex-wwe talent leaving lately, so who's next? My money's on Kennedy. I assume they'll be cleaning up Ace's & Eights...maybe ditch Knox and one of those bland guys. I foresee some X-division talent getting peaced out too. The "x division" means nothing anymore anyway.

id love to see Aries walk out too. He's be a great fit for WWE.

Cewsh
July 16th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Does seem like its ex-wwe talent leaving lately, so who's next? My money's on Kennedy. I assume they'll be cleaning up Ace's & Eights...maybe ditch Knox and one of those bland guys. I foresee some X-division talent getting peaced out too. The "x division" means nothing anymore anyway.

I'd prefer Roode, since he isn't a huge dickhead.

JRSlim21
July 17th, 2013, 12:20 AM
So according to "another site," Tara was like the others in the past where it was just a matter of cutting costs. DOC apparently was another case of waiting to negotiate at the wire. In words, Pritchard basically screwing the pooch like he did with Roode, RVD, and Devon. Those guys being the most notable.

Mills
July 17th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Well, Pritchard must have an odd way of going about business because he's now on his way out after refusing to renegotiate his contract

Defrost
July 17th, 2013, 1:17 AM
How soon until they release their tape library to Vince McMahon?

Version 6
July 17th, 2013, 1:37 AM

I might be the only one, but I find Aries to be incredibly boring and to have absolutely no genuine star power whatsoever. He really just looks like the surly guy behind the counter at Blockbuster, rather than this larger than life professional wrestler.

Roode is a much better chance of successfully transitioning to the WWE style.

Edit: On a side note, I miss Alex Shelley.

Mills
July 17th, 2013, 1:37 AM
how long until Vince is interested in their tape library?

Defrost
July 17th, 2013, 1:44 AM
Edit: On a side note, I miss Alex Shelley.

Watch New Japan

G-Fresh
July 17th, 2013, 1:44 AM
How soon until they release their tape library to Vince McMahon?

I reckon Vince will buy TNA within 5 years. 7 at the most.

The Rise & Fall of TNA will be a good doc.

Mills
July 17th, 2013, 1:45 AM
I wish he'd go to WWE already. Makes it easier to watch him then watching New Japan, plus would bring a younger edge to the product. I'd love to see a MCMG reunion but Shelley would probably work with any main junior heavyweight

Mills
July 17th, 2013, 1:46 AM
I reckon Vince will buy TNA within 5 years. 7 at the most.

The Rise & Fall of TNA will be a good doc.

They better have parts about how stupid year one was. The Johnsons? Cheex? Disgraceland? Kill me now

Version 6
July 17th, 2013, 1:47 AM
I predicted 7 or 8 years ago that Alex Shelley would be the next Chris Jericho. Probably because I know very little about wrestling and am an idiot.

But I loved him. :(

Defrost
July 17th, 2013, 1:54 AM
I predicted 7 or 8 years ago that Alex Shelley would be the next Chris Jericho. Probably because I know very little about wrestling and am an idiot.

But I loved him. :(

Watch this. Be happy.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11apm5_prince-devitt-vs-alex-shelley-njpw_sport#.UeYxd6wiySo

Mills
July 17th, 2013, 1:56 AM
I also thought Shelley was the next Jericho. Great promo, good look and could go in the ring. His ROH run was criminally underrated and he could've been a believable champion

son_of_foley
July 17th, 2013, 2:59 AM
DOC going isn't any big loss to the product. He's contributed the square root of fuck all to the TV output.

Tara whilst sad to see her go probably wasn't offering value for money as you would assume she was on a decent wedge there. Hopefully that allows them to pick up 2-3 other women and fill out the division a little more.

Best thing TNA could do is get rid of Hogans wage if they are having genuine money trouble. Whilst I think he does add numbers to the gate and he and Sting definitely do I don't think it's enough to make financial sense.

Hlebsfall
July 17th, 2013, 4:00 AM
Or get rid of his daughter. I stuck a bit of it on last night. There was a backstage section with her and Hogan, and she was fucking dreadful. The fact it was a pre-record, I'm assuming they got to film it a few times, and that was the best take. Stumbling over her lines all over the shop.

Still there was a pretty decent ladder match between Gail Kim and some blonde hair with tits.

son_of_foley
July 17th, 2013, 4:42 AM
Or get rid of his daughter. I stuck a bit of it on last night. There was a backstage section with her and Hogan, and she was fucking dreadful. The fact it was a pre-record, I'm assuming they got to film it a few times, and that was the best take. Stumbling over her lines all over the shop.

Still there was a pretty decent ladder match between Gail Kim and some blonde hair with tits.

Oh god yeah I assume they are a package deal so we would see both go.

Ladder match was alright actually. Enjoyed it. Not a big fan of jokers wild.

Cewsh
July 17th, 2013, 10:50 AM
So, if Pritchard is on his way out, that's going to be interesting. He's the head of talent relations, but everything I've read says that he's basically also the head writer. So TNA will be losing basically it's entire management team in one go.

Cold_Hearted_Truth
July 17th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Cuts are making their way up.

Just not high enough yet. And it'd be a shock to me if they did. I think it'll take them going completely under for them to cut the cord with Hogan.

Im missing what paying Hogan (or even Sting for that matter) the money they're making, not to attend house shows (where they draw 500 people) is helping their financial woes. They're not worth at this point in their careers. Not a chance in hell that TNA is even close to breaking anywhere near even going on the road and having 500 people at these shows. At some point, someone somewhere in that company has to see how much of a money pit TNA is right now as constructed. Said it some years ago, TNA needs to be based overseas. The interest just is not there in the US to be successful to the level TNA wants to be.

Hero!
July 17th, 2013, 11:07 AM
And that's a great point, CHT, Hogan isn't bringing in money for them. He isn't bringing in ratings. Hogan was a megastar so long ago that most people younger than 18 have probably only seen him in old clips on YouTube. Who is seriously tuning into TNA to see their old hero HOLLYWOOD HULK HOGAN? At this point, Hogan is really only good for the occasional guest spot on a RAW or PPV. Or Rent-A-Center commercials, those are great.

same with bischoff. This dude doesn't have heat anymore. He was a big deal 15 years ago...10 years ago...7 years ago...what does he bring now? Sure, we older or more involved fans know who he is, but what real reason do kids have to care about him? It's like when I was a kid and I'd see Brisco and Patterson, I never thought about them as wrestlers, just as old man stooges.

Cewsh
July 17th, 2013, 11:13 AM
It's important to realize that the reason they signed guys like Sting, Angle, Flair and Hogan in the first place is that the entire reason for their existence is the support of Spike TV, and Spike wanted them to have big recognizable names on the roster that they could sell to advertisers to make it feasible to give TNA the cushy timeslot they have. Spike was never going to allow TNA to be based around AJ Styles and Samoa Joe by themselves. TNA splurged and bought way too many of those guys and it's crippled them, but to say they should just fire them all and that would solve things isn't true.

Also, Hulk Hogan's contract is not through TNA, it is directly through Panda Energy. So he isn't a drain on TNA's resources at all.

Hero!
July 17th, 2013, 11:19 AM
But Panda Energy owns the entirety of TNA, so it is technically an expense on the parent company, which could lead to less funds for TNA as a whole.

I do wonder how much longer it'll be until Dixie's father decides he wants to cut his losses and just sell off TNA.

VanillaJello
July 17th, 2013, 11:26 AM
But Panda Energy owns the entirety of TNA, so it is technically an expense on the parent company, which could lead to less funds for TNA as a whole.

I do wonder how much longer it'll be until Dixie's father decides he wants to cut his losses and just sell off TNA.

I'm not too familiar with taxes... but maybe TNA is big enough of a loss that it actually drops Panda Energy into a lower tax bracket and they use it as a deduction to make their main business more profitable?

Cewsh
July 17th, 2013, 11:28 AM

I actually know someone on the Board of Directors for Panda Energy, (nevermind how,) and the answer to your questions is never.

I'm not too familiar with taxes... but maybe TNA is big enough of a loss that it actually drops Panda Energy into a lower tax bracket and they use it as a deduction to make their main business more profitable?

I don't think it's anything close to that much of a loss.

Hero!
July 17th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Interesting. Very interesting.

Cewsh
July 17th, 2013, 11:31 AM
But if Dixie's dad drops dead tomorrow, things will get very interesting very fast.

Defrost
July 17th, 2013, 2:59 PM
My theory on TNA has always been that Dixie is an obvious money mark, but she is not the money so her father either deeply loves her or is so desperate to keep her away from the main family business he has invested in a money pit as the lesser of two evils.

Cewsh
July 17th, 2013, 3:10 PM
And in fairness, by all accounts TNA is a very minor drain on Panda Energy. I don't think they've ever lost a million dollars in a year.

Defrost
July 17th, 2013, 3:11 PM
How is that possible

Jacknife
July 17th, 2013, 4:04 PM
Was panda energy always involved?

Kneeneighbor
July 17th, 2013, 4:14 PM
They better have parts about how stupid year one was. The Johnsons? Cheex? Disgraceland? Kill me now

And only being on PPV for their weekly show.

Cewsh
July 17th, 2013, 4:29 PM
How is that possible

All the major contracts are paid by Panda, and since they aired almost every show out of the Impact Zone and stacked tapings, they had very few running costs.

Plus they pay everyone below the main event indy wages.

Was panda energy always involved?

From 2004 on.

Cold_Hearted_Truth
July 18th, 2013, 12:08 PM
As we've been reporting, there have been a lot of issues behind the scenes in TNA in recent weeks. The company has been falling behind making payments to wrestlers, office workers and vendors and several top wrestlers and creative team members leaving.

According to the Wrestling Observer - even Hulk Hogan has been subject to late payments.

As you can imagine, morale in TNA has taken a big hit, with several TNA wrestlers reportedly sending out feelers to WWE officials, through their friends in WWE.

Regarding DOC's release, there had been plans for him to turn babyface and feud with Mr. Anderson.

Where is the always perky and bubbly Dixie right now? She gonna throw out a tweet that everything is perfectly ok?

Shit's gonna hit the fan soon. Where there's smoke, there's fire. Someone gonna put them on blast about not getting paid.

Didn't think it would happen, but I could very well see next year being the year we see Sting in WWE. I think TNA's rep as a nice wholesome relaxed place to work isn't so much any longer. Read they wouldn't even return RVD's calls earlier this year, which is just an awful way to do business. I'm sure RVD cares no longer with a part time WWE schedule.

Cewsh
July 18th, 2013, 12:35 PM
But hey, all hope isn't lost.

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/CewshReviews/DixieCarterTNADixieonTwitter_zps7187fe38.png

We're getting a new $1,000 title belt!

son_of_foley
July 18th, 2013, 12:41 PM
I wonder how many TNA employees could get a WWE contract by sending out feelers and I would wonder why they havent bothered before

Cold_Hearted_Truth
July 18th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Nice. Maybe the winner can pawn it off to pay their rent.

She really just sounds completely clueless as to how a business is run. Given the money isn't hers, she has no concept of valuing it. I can see her daddy coming to her someday and saying "We're gonna have to shut the TNA doors". And her response will be "Why? What's wrong? Everything is going so well"

Cold_Hearted_Truth
July 18th, 2013, 12:48 PM
I imagine they've put out feelers before, but imagine the TNA morale and cut down schedules were factors staying with the company in the past (if WWE were even remotely interested in said wrestler).

I think TNA does have talent WWE would be interested in (Roode/Styles/Sabin/Aries & even Hardy, latter who I think will return when provided a part-time deal). The bad part is these guys aren't exactly kids anymore and got to wonder about their desire to work FT schedules (which the Roodes/Styles/Sabin's of the world are gonna have to do there) & if WWE really wants to invest in them at their age -- given they aren't known to the average fan & looking at a limited return on them.

I've heard various people say AJ Styles (among others) are wasting away in TNA. It really hits as true to me. As good as wrestler as he's been, what mark has he really made in the grand scheme of things?

MikeHunt
July 18th, 2013, 12:50 PM
I imagine that those with ROH connections could go to punk or Nobel. Everyone else has direct contact with wwe surely.

the only people I could imagine wwe taking on or back ATM are;

magnus,
dudleys,
roode,
hogan,
sting,
taz.

son_of_foley
July 18th, 2013, 12:53 PM
I meant though putting out feelers only means so much if WWE would want them.

I can't think of many people who WWE would want who wouldn't have already put out the feelers and gone. Maybe the Shelley and Flair contract situation is more the issue there... dunno.

I would think nearly every member of the TNA roster would prefer a WWE contract maybe with the exception of Bully Ray as he's a world champion as opposed to a tag champion.

Cewsh
July 18th, 2013, 12:54 PM
I wonder how many TNA employees could get a WWE contract by sending out feelers and I would wonder why they havent bothered before

Well in the Johnny Ace era, they wouldn't touch any talent with indy experience with a 10 foot pole. TNA counts as an indy. I'm sure many of them did put feelers out, while others like Styles and Roode have clearly tried to make themselves TNA lifers in case it all worked out.

Cold_Hearted_Truth
July 18th, 2013, 12:57 PM
I think the RVD (part time) contract gonna mean a lot to guys like Angle and Hardy returning to WWE in the future. Not a shot at RVD, but I was quite surprised at the hype they gave him coming back. I think both Angle/Hardy are both much more popular with better WWE resumes. Perhaps it was feeling RVD TNA run was dreadful in every respect, but I was really meh on RVD coming back to WWE.

I'm actually surprised they returned for new contracts in TNA. I do think the work environment/morale was quit a bit better at the time of their re-ups so it's understandable. And I'm sure they're being paid quite well for their names.

Cewsh
July 18th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Honestly, a guy like AJ Styles, for example, knows that he isn't going to get a better spot in WWE. I think people in the upper midcard and up make a comfortable living and don't work nearly as many dates, so it's a trade off. If you want more money, fame, pressure and work go to WWE. If you just want to wrestle and cash a paycheck and don't mind that nobody knows who you are, stay in TNA.

In Alex Shelley's case, he's actually in New Japan, and he's said that that's where he's always wanted to work. New Japan may become a viable alternative for the guys who can cut it there, because it's clearly bigger than TNA at this point.

Hero!
July 18th, 2013, 10:10 PM
D-Lo gone now too, it seems.

McBain
July 18th, 2013, 11:32 PM
It's almost as if they're realising the whole A&E thing has been a mistake.

MikeHunt
July 19th, 2013, 2:46 AM
i dont think a&e was a mistake as such but i do believe that it has dragged on for far far too long

Cewsh
July 30th, 2013, 1:52 PM
http://www.wrestleviewradio.com/images/mutajarrett.jpg

I hope you guys are ready to see some Japanese wrestlers get buried!

Peter Griffin
July 30th, 2013, 3:48 PM
Apparently the meeting was regarding TNA sending talent to Muta's new promotion, so one would assume he wont bury his own talent ;)

Cewsh
July 30th, 2013, 4:07 PM
Apparently the meeting was regarding TNA sending talent to Muta's new promotion, so one would assume he wont bury his own talent ;)

Yeah, that's not how it works, Pete. TNA is the bigger company, and W1 asked them for help. TNA's wrestlers will be winning those matches.

Peter Griffin
July 30th, 2013, 4:13 PM
Dont call me Pete :squint:

Cewsh
July 30th, 2013, 4:15 PM
You got it, Griff.

Peter Griffin
July 30th, 2013, 4:17 PM
I cant quite see how having TNA wrestlers come over and beat talent he is trying to base his company around will help anyone.

Cewsh
July 30th, 2013, 4:18 PM
I cant quite see how having TNA wrestlers come over and beat talent he is trying to base his company around will help anyone.

Exactly.

The idea is that by getting big name guys that Japanese fans know (Angle, Sting, Team 3D) they can build a drawing base for their company along with the guys they have. World-1 just split off of All Japan, so it doesn't really have a lot of talent right now, or the infrastructure to grow more on their own.

So along with those stars to help kickstart the concept, they'll use lower card TNA guys to pad out the undercards of shows. When this is done well, those midcarders get over and because invaluable and there is a mutually beneficial relationship between the two companies (New Japan and WCW, New Japan and CMLL) and when it is done wrong, one company treats the other like garbage and rides right over them while doing whatever they want (TNA and New Japan, TNA and AAA, NOAH and ROH, WCW and AAA).

Peter Griffin
July 30th, 2013, 4:22 PM
:shifty: Yeh I get your point now, took me a while to get there.

Vice
July 30th, 2013, 6:30 PM
You got it, Griff.

Don't tarnish that name. :(

If anything, you are the Grif of the group. YEAH. Went there.

Cewsh
July 30th, 2013, 6:34 PM
It's a PUMA, dammit.

Mills
July 30th, 2013, 6:36 PM
Pssh, NOAH didnt run over ROH, they dropped a friggin bomb on them. Soooooo awful

Cewsh
July 30th, 2013, 6:38 PM
Yeah, agreed. Morishima was the bullet that killed ROH.

Mills
July 30th, 2013, 6:47 PM
This makes sense, though Gabe Sapolsky committed suicide with that gun.

JRSlim21
July 30th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Too bad this this wasn't done sooner. Could've put 1 of the Japanese guys in the BFG series

Vice
July 30th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Hell, I'd find some way of throwing him in there right away as a late entry. A guy who wants to be in it so damn bad that he is willing to try his heart out despite being way behind in points. Then find some way of having him compete a lot and make it to the finals in some ridiculous Rocky-esque type story of living his dreams and being this amazing underdog, and then have him lose. Puts him over huge without actually having to sacrifice the top guy.

McBain
July 30th, 2013, 11:00 PM
JJ is looking a bit stout.

Hero!
July 30th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Yeah, agreed. Morishima was the bullet that killed ROH.

I never got this. I thought Morishima was great and gave us a lot of excellent matches. To me, ROH died a painful death during the Mcguiness title run. After that way too long reign it was boring indie champ after boring indie champ until Black took the belt.

Yes, Tyler Black was a good champion. Come at me bro.

Cewsh
August 22nd, 2013, 11:14 AM
So rumor has it that AJ Styles' contract expires next month and they're nowhere close to a deal. According to THE SHEETS, some people in the company are convinced that TNA is about to let AJ walk and that's why they short circuited his storyline.

Wow.

Rip
August 22nd, 2013, 11:22 AM
Ouch.

TNA have no plan do they, if they let AJ go that's another nail in the already pretty secure coffin.

Shame for AJ as well, can't see the WWE picking him up.

Cewsh
August 22nd, 2013, 11:27 AM
I imagine we'd see him in New Japan sooner than later. Maybe ROH? If he were 5 years younger, WWE would be all over him these days.

Rip
August 22nd, 2013, 11:42 AM
Maybe, he lacks in promo skill though and as you say he's now probably at least five years too old, wasn't he offered a spot in WWE developmental and turned it down a while ago?

Cewsh
August 22nd, 2013, 11:48 AM
Yeah, though that was at a very different time in where the developmental program was, and TNA was actually going strong then.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if WWE brought him in. They wouldn't push him too much, but he's close friends with Punk.

Mills
August 22nd, 2013, 12:23 PM
They'd be stupid not to sign him. He's a younger RVD without the pot issues

Cewsh
August 22nd, 2013, 12:26 PM
I think the most important thing is that AJ has basically been the heart of TNA since it was founded. He's like the Tommy Dreamer of that company, who has always been loyal, even to the detriment of his career. To let him walk in his prime would just look so bad for TNA.

Rip
August 22nd, 2013, 12:36 PM
I do quite like AJ, he has something about him that's likeable and he's talented no doubt, I just can't see what he'd do role wise in the WWE, there are a pretty fair number of guys in the mid-level area of the card who don't have much to do as it is, I can see him just getting lost in there with them.

Mills
August 22nd, 2013, 12:37 PM
If it does happen, and its still at IF, TNA signed its death warrant. This isn't letting Bret Hart go, this is suicide

Cewsh
August 22nd, 2013, 12:44 PM
I do quite like AJ, he has something about him that's likeable and he's talented no doubt, I just can't see what he'd do role wise in the WWE, there are a pretty fair number of guys in the mid-level area of the card who don't have much to do as it is, I can see him just getting lost in there with them.

Well the things he has going in his favor are a) he's one of the 5 or so TNA guys that WWE fans might be somewhat familiar with, and b) he's a natural babyface. WWE is constantly hard up for anyone who can play babyface. Hence them recently bringing back Van Dam.

Rip
August 22nd, 2013, 12:55 PM
I could see him paired with Van Dam I guess, Rob gets beat down and brings in AJ, they'd make a good pair and it would be a good way to ease him into the WWE.

No idea why Rob would pick him over 100 other guys but that's never bothered the WWE before.

JP
August 22nd, 2013, 1:01 PM
WWE would sign AJ Styles in a heartbeat.

Never gonna be top tier, but a great worker who can work any way they want.

chatty
August 22nd, 2013, 1:10 PM
WWE should bring him in and start up the cruiserweight division again. Have it on Smackdown which could do wonders with a load of cruisers having good matches on the show and maybes elevate the top couple to Raw once in a while.

Greed
August 22nd, 2013, 1:26 PM
AJ vs. Sin Cara or Rey would still draw.

Not sure if they will even consider going in that direction though.

I haven't seen an AJ Styles match in over 2 years. Is he still a top level guy in the ring? Or have injuries and age started to take their toll on his style? (sorry, pun.)

Cewsh
August 22nd, 2013, 1:34 PM
He's a little slower, but better at psychology.

Cewsh
August 22nd, 2013, 1:38 PM
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/CewshReviews/AJStylesOrg_zpsf0035b24.png

virms
August 22nd, 2013, 1:56 PM
I think a good stint in japan before wwe would make some sense. He will always be a TNA guy but if he could make a bit of noise over there and kinda separate himself a bit it might help in the long run. Doubt it though.

I wouldn't mind to see him in wwe as there are plenty of people he could have great matches with I just don't ever see it amounting to much.

Judas Iscariot
August 22nd, 2013, 2:03 PM
Yeah he'd be a good pickup but I don't think he ever would have made a huge splash in WWE.

But :rofl: @ TNA. Fucking hell what happened to them?

G-Fresh
August 22nd, 2013, 2:09 PM
AJ is the shit, but he looks like a fuckin nascar driver and has about as much charisma.

JT4104
August 22nd, 2013, 4:00 PM
AJ would be interesting at this point in his career. I have no questions that he could adjust his style and fit it.

I think the machine that is WWE could help him in the promo department. The thing for me is though that southern accent and I dont remember WWE every really having a guy with a southern accent in a lot of promos. I guess maybe Jarrett but he seems to be the only one that comes to mind.

darkhorse
August 22nd, 2013, 4:22 PM
If it does happen, and its still at IF, TNA signed its death warrant. This isn't letting Bret Hart go, this is suicide Manik.

Couldn't resist.

Seriously though, WWE signing AJ Styles would be the biggest thing outside of signing Sting or Kurt Angle in terms of stealing talent away from TNA. Hell, AJ is basically to TNA what Sting was to WCW, so imagine how it would've been for WCW if the WWF signed Sting back then. It probably would've accelerated the death of WCW, so the same could happen to TNA if they let him walk.

It would especially be pretty damn stupid if they let him walk and brought in another WWE castoff. If TNA has consistently done one thing right, it's build guys like AJ to begin with. They might not have been considered a serious threat back in 2004 when I started watching, but I enjoyed seeing guys like AJ, Christopher Daniels, Team Canada, etc. who didn't have name recognition but could entertain when given the chance, and TNA was an interesting alternative until they seemingly brought in just about anyone who got a pinkslip from the WWE. If TNA lets AJ walk, then it's the biggest and perhaps final reminder of just how badly they lost their way.

Version 6
August 22nd, 2013, 6:25 PM
I think AJ's in that rare Hart/Malenko/Benoit category where he could get reasonably over without having the most natural charisma on the basis of ringwork alone.

I agree that he's a more natural face, but would love to see him paired with Paul Heyman. Makes a much more interesting Paul Heyman guy than McGillicutty for mine.

Cewsh
August 22nd, 2013, 6:37 PM
I also think that AJ is the only homegrown TNA talent that would get a substantial reaction if he showed up in WWE in a smark city.

Version 6
August 22nd, 2013, 6:43 PM
Agreed. Not quite Punk at the Hammerstein Ballroom, but it'd be up there.

Hero!
August 22nd, 2013, 7:24 PM
WWE should pair him with Christian again. Those two have a special kind of chemistry.

McBain
August 22nd, 2013, 7:41 PM
Man I really hope this is true. Then maybe Joe will leave too and then I can stop bothering even reading TNA's results.

McBain
August 22nd, 2013, 7:41 PM
WWE should pair him with Christian again. Those two have a special kind of chemistry.

YES.

Newf
August 22nd, 2013, 7:42 PM
Actually I really like that idea of pairing him with Heyman. They could totally allude to his history elsewhere without flat out saying "TNA"... but for the love of God, keep his name. Finding the right city to debut him in is key and maybe even a few weeks of vignettes announcing him with an attitude of "You've been living under a rock if you don't know who this guy is"... I could be talking out of my ass and it could flop, but just once I'd love to see a Radicalz style debut where someone from TNA comes over with their name and at an already-established level on the card.

I mean, how many guys did WWE take from TNA? Monty Brown? Alexie Laree? Chris Harris? Kazarian? Kaval? Lance Hoyt? (I won't count Punk since I think of him more as an ROH/indy guy). All but one (Kaz) had a name change and very few talked about their time in "another big company" and they all more or less started at the bottom.

Hero!
August 22nd, 2013, 7:47 PM
AJ Unfashionable

Hero!
August 22nd, 2013, 7:49 PM
Daniel Christopher would be a great one for taking a stab at TNA.

Newf
August 22nd, 2013, 7:49 PM
Could they even have two AJs on the same roster? Oh no! Our stupid fans might confuse the 5'11", 215lbs. man with the 5'2", 115 lbs. woman!

McBain
August 22nd, 2013, 7:50 PM
Anyone know if he owns the rights to his own name?

Would be bizarre seeing him wrestle without it. He also has that AJ tattoo...

Hero!
August 22nd, 2013, 7:52 PM
Yeah, I'm almost positive that he does. He started in TNA before they started trademarking names and he's never left, so it's not like he had to renegotiate a name like Daniels or Kazarian.

JP
August 22nd, 2013, 7:57 PM
I also think that AJ is the only homegrown TNA talent that would get a substantial reaction if he showed up in WWE in a smark city.

Samoa Joe would blow the roof off in the right city.

Hero!
August 22nd, 2013, 8:04 PM
Fuck dude, Joe coming out in NY or Philly and staring down Bryan, Punk, or Rollins. Imagine it.

darkhorse
August 22nd, 2013, 8:09 PM
I mean, how many guys did WWE take from TNA? Monty Brown? Alexie Laree? Chris Harris? Kazarian? Kaval? Lance Hoyt? (I won't count Punk since I think of him more as an ROH/indy guy). All but one (Kaz) had a name change and very few talked about their time in "another big company" and they all more or less started at the bottom.

I think Kong was the first TNA name to come over to the WWE without having to be relegated to the bottom of the pecking order, and up until her pregnancy, she had a ton of momentum going for her. Granted, comparing the male roster to the women's division is like comparing apples to oranges, but I think that showed it is possible for a TNA name to migrate over to the WWE without necessarily having to start from scratch, especially a name like Styles.

The Rick
August 22nd, 2013, 8:52 PM
Could they even have two AJs on the same roster? Oh no! Our stupid fans might confuse the 5'11", 215lbs. man with the 5'2", 115 lbs. woman!

You just downplay the "AJ" during commentary, and focus on the Styles portion of the name. Or the WWE defines the "A" and the "J". They calls them out during the entrance, and still focus on the "Styles" during commentary.

mth
August 22nd, 2013, 9:20 PM
I can't see them keeping him as AJ Styles. They rename everyone now. I definitely think having him be a Paul Heyman guy would be a good way to go. Heyman could give a hell of a good introduction without having to directly name TNA, run down his credentials and put him over verbally. Have guys like Punk and Bryan acknowledge his indy cred and such.

But before we all get too carried away, how many other guys have they had whose contracts were set to expire that ended up just sticking with them? They had the Devon fake out, recently something with Roode if I'm not mistaken?

JT4104
August 22nd, 2013, 9:31 PM
If it was to happen...AJ debuting in the Northeast would be key. Also places like Chicago, Detroit would work. No debuting in KC or something like that.

mr sabu
August 22nd, 2013, 9:34 PM
can we just have

bryan, punk, Rollins, Joe, Ambrose, Zayn

Cewsh
August 22nd, 2013, 9:43 PM
I can't see them keeping him as AJ Styles. They rename everyone now. I definitely think having him be a Paul Heyman guy would be a good way to go. Heyman could give a hell of a good introduction without having to directly name TNA, run down his credentials and put him over verbally. Have guys like Punk and Bryan acknowledge his indy cred and such.

But before we all get too carried away, how many other guys have they had whose contracts were set to expire that ended up just sticking with them? They had the Devon fake out, recently something with Roode if I'm not mistaken?

This is a different situation. In those cases they didn't know the contracts were coming up until after they expired because they're idiots. In this case everyone knows, but they aren't doing anything. Totally different.

JRSlim21
August 22nd, 2013, 9:45 PM
If Austin had any pull, Joe would be in a WWE ring in a heartbeat. Stone Cold loves that guy. As far as AJ is concerned, he's almost like Jeter to the Yankees. If he becomes a FA then you can't picture him with another team but you have to pay him accordingly. Pritchard is gone; you can't blow this

Cewsh
August 22nd, 2013, 10:18 PM
So Cal Val no longer works for TNA, according to her. No idea if she quit or was released. It might not seem like a big deal to most, but she was the host of the show on house shows and before tv started and was a fixture of every show for over 9 years.

Basically, TNA is clearcutting the whole damn forest.

virms
August 22nd, 2013, 10:33 PM
Now she can go do all that fetish wrestling video shit she loves.

Probably be a good pick up for ROH though.

Cewsh
August 22nd, 2013, 10:35 PM

I seriously doubt she loves it. Girl's gotta make a living.

The_Mike
August 22nd, 2013, 10:43 PM
This is a different situation. In those cases they didn't know the contracts were coming up until after they expired because they're idiots. In this case everyone knows, but they aren't doing anything. Totally different.

I would not want to be their accountant.

virms
August 22nd, 2013, 10:51 PM
She's been doing it for the past 6 or 7 years. Surely TNA payed her well enough to not do it.

Version 6
August 22nd, 2013, 10:55 PM
Don't count on it.

Cewsh
August 22nd, 2013, 10:56 PM
She's been doing it for the past 6 or 7 years. Surely TNA payed her well enough to not do it.

TNA pays the women who actually wrestle so little that they all have to have day jobs to survive. So no, they don't.

Vice
August 22nd, 2013, 11:02 PM
I seriously doubt she loves it. Girl's gotta make a living.If she clearcuts HER whole damn forest, there's lots of money to be made. :naughty:

virms
August 22nd, 2013, 11:02 PM
Well damn. I like her so I hope she finds something good. Perhaps she could go work NXT for a while and work her way up. I just don't see her getting into WWE anytime soon.

Kneeneighbor
August 23rd, 2013, 1:16 AM
TNA pays the women who actually wrestle so little that they all have to have day jobs to survive. So no, they don't.

This is a fact. ODB bartends here in Minnesota.

McBain
August 23rd, 2013, 5:57 AM

What's this about fetish wrestling??

son_of_foley
August 23rd, 2013, 6:44 AM
So Cal Val no longer works for TNA, according to her. No idea if she quit or was released. It might not seem like a big deal to most, but she was the host of the show on house shows and before tv started and was a fixture of every show for over 9 years.

Basically, TNA is clearcutting the whole damn forest.

I understand sentimentality here but if they are realling having money issues I think So Cal was a reasonable candidate to go. Her onscreen role anyway has been negligible.

Wouldn't be suprised to see Hemme go soon.

JRSlim21
August 23rd, 2013, 8:20 AM
I'd hate to see Styles go, but depending on who they're considering, I understand this logic

As you may have heard, AJ Styles' contract with TNA expires in September and there is a very real chance that he leaves the company for the first time in TNA's history. Negotiations are said to be ongoing with Styles, but TNA is trying to get younger (and cheaper) in terms of talent. It is said that Styles may have priced himself out of TNA's range, and that if they can get 4 or 5 younger talents for the same price as Styles, they will go that direction. TNA is said to be evaluating the contracts of all of their talent in a manner similar to how NFL teams evaluate against the salary cap, and that they don't want to invest too much of their budget in any one talent. (Compulsory reminder: Hulk Hogan's contract is said to be owned directly by Viacom, the parent company of Spike TV, not TNA.)
Another TNA wrestler in the same situation as Styles is reportedly Ken Anderson, whose contract is said to be up in the near future as well. Like Styles, Anderson is a pricier veteran who TNA may consider moving on from in order to save some money.

The_Mike
August 23rd, 2013, 9:52 AM
I understand sentimentality here but if they are realling having money issues I think So Cal was a reasonable candidate to go. Her onscreen role anyway has been negligible.

I would have thought that So Cal Val would be paid so little by TNA that getting rid of her wouldn't really make a dent in their spending. Her onscreen role isn't her only one, she has for a long time been something of a face of the company at live events. If they actually feel her contract is too expensive to keep paying for the sake of having a friendly, familiar face welcoming everybody to their shows, I'd guess they are in pretty dire straits.

I'd hate to see Styles go, but depending on who they're considering, I understand this logic

Is Sting's contract also owned by Viacom? I would think the logic of moving on to more young talent would make sense if it wasn't Styles they were in danger of dropping. If they get rid of Anderson and even more then we're looking at a very strange wrestling company where there's a lot of cheaply contracted no-name talent mixing it up with legends who should have retired over a decade ago (and whoever's in the middle they can still afford). Still, according to their website at least, they have a pretty slim roster right now, which is padded with the announcers and Abyss being on there twice. Maybe they really do need to find the money to bring in a few more people.

son_of_foley
August 23rd, 2013, 10:07 AM
I would have thought that So Cal Val would be paid so little by TNA that getting rid of her wouldn't really make a dent in their spending. Her onscreen role isn't her only one, she has for a long time been something of a face of the company at live events. If they actually feel her contract is too expensive to keep paying for the sake of having a friendly, familiar face welcoming everybody to their shows, I'd guess they are in pretty dire straits.

JB has that role too so it's not like she is the only one. Also in the UK anway Val doesn't come over and they still have that friendly atmosphere.

Hemme will go soon as I remember hearing her contract was very high.

I think a regearing to live within their means might work out well for them. I think they probably had got a bit bloated (salary wise) thinking the spike deal was going to be the game changer for them

Cewsh
August 23rd, 2013, 11:06 AM

JB has that role too so it's not like she is the only one. Also in the UK anway Val doesn't come over and they still have that friendly atmosphere.

The thing about releasing Val is that it reflects a very strange approach to this process that TNA is using. Based on what the in ring talent gets paid, I would be amazed if So Cal Val got paid more than $500 an appearance, and she filled a lot of rolls, from timekeeper, to house show host, to live event host, to occasional on screen character. Somebody is still going to have to do those things, and Jeremy Borash can't literally fill every position on every show.

It's the same as when they released Jesse Sorenson. These aren't the people you go about cutting in situations like this. You're cutting tiny salaries that have a minimal effect on your bottom line, while people you don't even use made 50 times what they do. If they're trying to manage this roster like an NFL team, then what they need to understand is that it's not about spending no money, it's about spending money in the right places, on people you can't easily replace. Can they replace Ken Anderson? Absolutely, yes. Can they replace every member of the Aces and Eights other than Bully Ray? Absolutely. Can they replace what AJ Styles means to that fanbase and in the history of that company with 5 younger, less talented guys? No. They really can't.

Wrestling isn't a sport where just putting athletic bodies in there can result in success. And TNA has such a limited number of people who are actually over that they can't afford to throw away a guy like AJ Styles and assume that they can make a new one. Especially since WWE has gotten its act together and is now signing up just about every single worthwhile indy talent that comes along. Where is the new talent supposed to come from?

It's bad business, and it's organized foolishly. Cutting So Cal Val isn't stupid in and of itself, but its symptomatic of a company that doesn't know how to objectively judge itself. And that's going to kill them.

Mills
August 23rd, 2013, 11:13 AM
Letting AJ walk will be the dumbest move they've made, and we're talking about TNA here people

Cewsh
August 23rd, 2013, 11:23 AM
But they can get 5 Christian York's for the price of AJ Styles!

Mills
August 23rd, 2013, 11:26 AM
A poor man's BJ Whitmer? Pass. Maybe bring back Sonjay Duty for the 7th time

HHHnFoley_Rulez
August 23rd, 2013, 11:49 AM
The Phenomenal AJ Styles Red!

Cold_Hearted_Truth
August 23rd, 2013, 12:37 PM
Hope AJ takes the leap. Probably his last best chance at 36 years old. If he's ever going to do it, now's the time.

Perhaps they already know he's leaving & reason for the abrupt turn to 'Phenomenal' AJ Styles.

Cewsh
August 23rd, 2013, 4:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KZe-zIk1Aq8

So this video showed up on TNA's Youtube site today. I can't figure out if its old and they released it to say, "Hey, we hire people sometimes too!" or if its new and the X Division Champion wasn't under contract until now.

Defrost
August 23rd, 2013, 4:46 PM
WWE did not spend an ungodly amount of money on a development facility to sign guys who are pushing 40 who aren't already giant stars. AJ Styles is going nowhere.

Hero!
August 23rd, 2013, 4:56 PM
There are several people in developmental who are in their 30s. AJ may be 36, but he's a damn near complete package. He does not need to spend 3-4 years in developmental like most of the others down there. Cara and Kharma skipped developmental and I could see Triple H giving AJ the pass as well. Unlike Bryan or Rollins, AJ has a ton of experience in working in the weekly TV show format and condensed for TV matches.

StoneColdWWE316
August 23rd, 2013, 5:20 PM
I think if AJ does leave TNA it would almost be like when the Radicalz left WCW in 2000.

Defrost
August 23rd, 2013, 5:21 PM
Sin Cara was the biggest draw in professional wrestling at one point and signed by a company desperate for a Mexican hero. That is a slight difference between him and AJ "95% of people watching Raw have no clue who I am" Styles

Cewsh
August 23rd, 2013, 5:27 PM
And Kharma is the biggest potential female money draw of this generation. But there is an outside chance.

JRSlim21
August 23rd, 2013, 8:57 PM
Make him a Paul Heyman guy. Turn him into the anti-Punk. Punk vs Styles; IWC fanboys dream in a WWE ring. Money made. Remember, it's a business. You just need a certain segment of fans to get the ball rolling.