PDA

View Full Version : WWE's New Guys

The Law
June 24th, 2013, 3:18 PM
WWE has seen a huge influx of new talent in the past year. Some of these guys will become the biggest stars in the industry, some will be forgotten. This thread is designed to discuss and evaluate WWE's recent call-ups.

Dean Ambrose-A wrestler with tremendous ring presence and character. He reminds of of Jake Roberts in many ways in his ability to convey emotions with his facial expressions and body language. His maniacal character could use more depth, but there's always time for that. He hasn't impressed me with his matches yet, but there's definitely potential there. I see getting a long way, perhaps even becoming a world champion. I expect him to be an important member of the roster for years to come.

Seth Rollins-The underrated workhorse of the Shield, in my opinion. He's had the most significant ring experience of the three members to date, so it's not surprising that he's the most polished. Needs to be a better talker and develop more character if he wants to get to the main event.

Roman Reigns-Definitely has the look of a main eventer. Great body and look. Definitely the weakest wrestler of the three, as he's still developing. Reminds me of Batista when he was in Evolution in 2004-you could see the potential, but he didn't really know what he was doing yet. Can he replicate Batista's career path? I don't see him being that big, but I expect him to crack the main event.

Curtis Axel-They're doing everything they can to get him over, but I don't think he's going to make it. He's competent at everything, but not especially good at anything. Not much of any character, decent in the ring, bland talker. I think his push will peter out eventually.

Big E Langston-Really impressed by this guy. Tons of charisma, good talker, surprisingly funny, pretty good wrestler. I think he should turn face along with Ziggler, because that's where I think his charisma will really shine. I see him going all the way and becoming on of WWE's top guys.

Fandango-Meh. I think his one moment was right after Wrestlemania, and WWE mishandled that. Even working with Chris Jericho, I haven't found his matches very impressive. The character is entertaining, but he doesn't really seem that good at playing it. He needs to do more talking beyond saying his name. I don't see him going much further than he has already.

Bray Wyatt-Love the character and the personality. Not sure about his wrestling ability, unless he's improved a ton since he was Husky Harris a few years ago. I think he's a valuable midcarder who will be over regardless of whether or not he's winning matches due to the strength of his personality.

I'm not a consistent NXT viewer, so I can't really comment on any of those guys. What do you think of WWE's new kids? Who's going all the way? Who can't scratch it?

Cewsh
June 24th, 2013, 3:21 PM
Big E Langston and Bray Wyatt are the two best talents that developmental has put out since Brock Lesnar.

G-Fresh
June 24th, 2013, 3:22 PM
Big E is the shit, but he needs to get a different finisher cause the one he uses now is fuckin stupid.

The Law
June 24th, 2013, 3:24 PM
I'd love to see him use either a Batista Bomb or straight Jackknife Powerbomb. Nobody is Powerbombing on the roster right now, and I don't like it.

Andy
June 24th, 2013, 3:28 PM
He should do the Last Ride. He could probably do it without making it look at difficult as Taker did.

Judas Iscariot
June 24th, 2013, 3:30 PM
I think Big E could have "face of the company" potential. The guy is fucking gold and will be massive as a face.

MMH
June 24th, 2013, 3:31 PM
I'd love to see him use either a Batista Bomb or straight Jackknife Powerbomb. Nobody is Powerbombing on the roster right now, and I don't like it.

The Shield?

The Law
June 24th, 2013, 3:32 PM
Oops. Felt like I was forgetting something. Good point, although it would be fine for someone to be using it as a solo finisher.

G-Fresh
June 24th, 2013, 3:33 PM
Swagger too.

chatty
June 24th, 2013, 3:47 PM
I think Reigns will get pushed to the WHC at least. He is a big guy with a good look and seems willing to learn, his spear is awesome and he does power moves very well, he's pretty decent in ring compared to other big guys at this stage of their career so I think he'll do well.

Ambrose will all depend on the direction they take with him, let him be a twisted psycho and he'll go far, if they reel him in then it will be harder but he has a lot of potential imo.

Rollins can be a workhorse, I think it will take him the longest of this lot to get to the top but he can if he backs himself up in the ring consistently and keeps working on his promos and character, I think he's massively improved already, if he can become sympathetic as a face then he can ride the underdog train.

Wyatt has one of the most interesting characters in wrestling at current and backed with his family he should get a good initial push. Problem is, he will take a few defeats and at somepoint he's probably gonna have to shift the character another direction or else it will get old so I'm not sure how far he goes but its gonna be fun for a while at least.

I dont think neither Harper or Rowan will go further than perhaps a tag title or mid card title run if any.

Big E is awesome, I can't wait for him to break away as a face as thats his best role imo. They are doing the right thing with him and breaking him in slowly and putting him with a vet in Ziggler so he still gets big angles all while learning. Huge guy, quality on the mic, good look and alright in the ring, once that improves he should start flying up the roster.

Fandango - it'll get old quick, I said that from the start so Ill wait and see how he adapts, much like Rollins I think he needs to be good consistently in the ring and work his arse off. The main men/women behind the scene seem high on him though so he'll get a chance to prove his worth.

Sin Cara - not as new as the other but needs a character, people aren't responding so he needs some work. He'll either slowly work his way up and be a upper mid card guy who gets shots in the main event picture or just completely fade into obscurity.

Bo Dallas - will go nowhere, his best may have already been.

Curtis Axel - never been fully into him but he's done well since coming in again. He's not a guy I see i n the main event picture long term but can be a solid mid-carder for a few years.

Hero!
June 24th, 2013, 3:57 PM
Ambrose, Rollins, and Reigns - The Shield is the most ingenious call-up the WWE has ever done. It allows Ambrose to showcase his mic skills, hides Reigns green-ness by putting him mostly in "big spot" positions, and keep Rollins from talking and instead doing what he does best. As long as these 3 stick together while they develop the rest of their essential tools, they'll all be big stars, no doubt.

Axel - I just don't get it. I see nothing of value in him. Push Drew or Otunga instead.

Langston - Talk about the complete package. BIG, muscular dude who can talk, has a unique look, and isn't SO big that he falls into the generic "big man" category. Whenever he breaks away from dolph and AJ, he needs to use his 5-count gimmick again. It's brilliant.

Fandango - The gimmick is over, but Curtis isn't. People like the theme, the ugly tights, the absurdity of his entrance, Summer Rae, and everything else, BUT Fandango in the ring. He needs to tap into the same aggression that we saw when he attacked Jericho and turn himself more into a Rico "effeminate tough man" character.

Bray Wyatt - Talk about someone who just GETS his gimmick. He's got a great look, great mic skills, a cool stable, and he is solid as hell in the ring. If you don't watch his NXT stuff, don't worry, Bray Wyatt is not Husky Harris in the ring. It's like watching a larger, faster Raven in there. This guy has got it all.

Andy
June 24th, 2013, 4:02 PM
I don't want to ever hear the words "push Otunga" again. Drew, yep. Heath, definitely. Not fucking Otunga though.

Hero!
June 24th, 2013, 4:02 PM
Otunga is money.

Cewsh
June 24th, 2013, 4:07 PM
Yeah, Otunga is amazing. Ridiculous that he isn't still on tv.

Really, he's a perfect candidate for becoming a top level manager.

Andy
June 24th, 2013, 4:12 PM
I don't mind him as a talker and he was perfect as Laurinitis' right hand man but he's dreadful in the ring.

Hero!
June 24th, 2013, 4:20 PM
He's really improved in the ring from his days on NXT. Granted, we haven't seen him in action in a while, but I really do enjoy watching him. He's got a good character with a great look in and out of the ring.

VHS
June 24th, 2013, 4:38 PM
I think Big E could have "face of the company" potential. The guy is fucking gold and will be massive as a face.

This!

Cewsh
June 24th, 2013, 4:40 PM
Yep.

VHS
June 24th, 2013, 5:26 PM
And another guy I'm interested in seeing 1-2-3-4-5 years from now is Corey Graves. I'm on the ropes with him being a main event guy, but I do think he is a unique entity within the entire WWE roster.

MikeHunt
June 24th, 2013, 5:38 PM
I hate him.

MikeHunt
June 24th, 2013, 5:38 PM
Shit gimmick, stupid look and boring as fuck.

Cewsh
June 24th, 2013, 5:43 PM
We are no longer in agreement.

Edit: To VHS

Kimura Kid
June 24th, 2013, 5:44 PM
Graves is the shit!!

There are a ton of guys in NXT that if given the same opportunity as those coming in now are given could really shine. I've said it before but the landscape of WWE is going to get a facelift in the near future. WWE's developmental territory is only getting larger with the new facitlity. We are seeing a ton of new faces and I believe this is only the beginning.

Guys like Kruger, Ohno, Graves, Neville & the Ascension will be called up within the next year or so. Along with the guys listed in the OP and we have a whole new roster of potential!!

VHS
June 24th, 2013, 5:59 PM
We are no longer in agreement.

Edit: To VHS

Bobby Lashley was shlock, and Otunga has no talent.

Cewsh
June 24th, 2013, 6:04 PM
Bobby Lashley was shlock, and Otunga has no talent.

Just throwing out blatant falsehoods isn't helping your argument.

G-Fresh
June 24th, 2013, 6:11 PM
Lashley is awful. I hope he never re-signs with WWE.

Hero!
June 24th, 2013, 6:11 PM
Poor Lashley....if only he hadn't come up at a time where there were no managers, whatsoever. If he could have gone his entire career without ever opening his mouth, he could have been huge.

G-Fresh
June 24th, 2013, 6:16 PM
He looks stupid as fuck, so he'd have to wear a mask too.

Cewsh
June 24th, 2013, 6:17 PM
I will fuck your shit up over this DVDA. You don't even know.

MikeHunt
June 24th, 2013, 6:18 PM
Graves is the shit!!

There are a ton of guys in NXT that if given the same opportunity as those coming in now are given could really shine. I've said it before but the landscape of WWE is going to get a facelift in the near future. WWE's developmental territory is only getting larger with the new facitlity. We are seeing a ton of new faces and I believe this is only the beginning.

Guys like Kruger, Ohno, Graves, Neville & the Ascension will be called up within the next year or so. Along with the guys listed in the OP and we have a whole new roster of potential!!

Kruger, graves and o'brian are boring mongs. I just don't get te hype one bit.

VHS
June 24th, 2013, 6:25 PM
Just throwing out blatant falsehoods isn't helping your argument.

If denial was a ruler, you'd be a yardstick.

Cewsh
June 24th, 2013, 6:25 PM
If denial was a ruler, you'd be a yardstick.

If wrongness was a ruler, you'd be King Louie the 14th.

VHS
June 24th, 2013, 6:29 PM
Mine was better. (http://emotibot.net/pix/7064.png)

Cewsh
June 24th, 2013, 6:30 PM
Mine was gayer.

mth
June 24th, 2013, 7:07 PM
Honestly, I'm finding Ambrose the least interesting member of The Shield right now. I know the dude is talented but his solo matches haven't done anything for me yet. Reigns looks terrific and has some beastly offense, and while Rollins looks/sounds ridiculous, he's got some eye-catching offense and had that wonderful match with Bryan. So, as it stands, those two are grabbing my attention more than Dean...but I'm sure Dean will shine in time. I've said before that I think Reigns is going to be the one that reaches the top first.

I was really hoping the pairing with Heyman and revamping would get me into Curtis Axel but so far, it's not working too well. I'm willing to give it more time, though, but you can put all the hype and push on a bland dude and in the end, he'll still be a bland dude. Hoping Axel proves to not be a bland dude.

Big E has got it all and I can definitely see him being the face of the company. And his finisher is BOSS you fools.

I still dig Fandango but agree that he's still gotta get it together in the ring more. Outside of that, though, I think he's brilliant.

I don't watch NXT so all I know of Bray is a few youtube clips and word of mouth. I was a Husky Harris fan so I was already digging the dude before he got his shit together and now he's got a fascinating character going, lost some weight I believe?, and I would assume has improved in the ring, as well. I am STOKED as hell for him and the family.

Oh, and in regards to the powerbomb comments...Ryback's been powerbombing people on a weekly basis. Sometimes through tables.

G-Fresh
June 24th, 2013, 7:14 PM
Big E has got it all and I can definitely see him being the face of the company. And his finisher is BOSS you fools.

Nah. That shit is wackness. He lands it like he's being hit with a running powerslam. It don't look like it hurts his opponent at all. Now if he would change it up a bit and land it like a stunner or RKO that shit would be sweet.

Zacharie
June 24th, 2013, 7:45 PM
There have only been 3 guys who have made it since showing up around 2009-2010. Alberto, Sheamus, and Bryan. I guess technically four if you want to throw Swagger in there. But you could kind of tell that Alberto, Sheamus, and Swagger would make it because they were pushed so hard and quick.

If I had to pick, I'd go with Big E. Guy targeted Cena on his first night so they must love something about him. He's also featured on television a lot so I doubt that they forget about him any time soon. I haven't seen him doing anything special, but I can see that he's got something.

Too early to tell with Bray. His gimmick doesn't seem like one that would take him very far in WWE land.

Fandango will be in Brodus Clay's position soon, so no-- not until they change his gimmick.

Them Shield boys are impressive but I only see Ambrose making it, maybe.

--yeah, Big E needs a finisher that shows off his strength more, definitely. What he does now seems more like a move that would lead to the finisher.

Bagel
June 24th, 2013, 7:48 PM
Curtis Axel-They're doing everything they can to get him over, but I don't think he's going to make it. He's competent at everything, but not especially good at anything. Not much of any character, decent in the ring, bland talker. I think his push will peter out eventually.

He reminds me a bit of Charlie Haas. Capable of putting on a decent, not flashy match, but little else. Nothing really impressive about him, would be better off in tag division and what they've pushed him to now will be his peak.

mth
June 24th, 2013, 11:00 PM
:yes: I can definitely get the Haas vibe.

Kimura Kid
June 24th, 2013, 11:09 PM
wrong thread

McBain
June 26th, 2013, 8:34 AM
I honestly thought you two were the same person.

Mark Hammer
June 26th, 2013, 8:34 AM

Changing his name from Michael Mcguillicutty (sp) was a definitely a step in the right direction. What were they ever thinking calling him that? It would have been bad enough if it was his real name but it wasn't.

I agree with this sentiment though. He's got a fine pedigree but lacks "it" imo. I don't think he'll be as successful as his father but that's not to say he won't be a multiple time World champ before they finally give up on him.

JP
June 26th, 2013, 8:45 AM
Am I the only person who isn't high on Big-E?

Ringo
June 26th, 2013, 8:47 AM
the man diva thinks he should be released because he's just a black ryback.

Mark Hammer
June 26th, 2013, 8:49 AM

I can't get past the tiny singlet. They need to cover him up, give him some pants.

Cewsh
June 26th, 2013, 9:27 AM

YES

Slare
June 26th, 2013, 9:35 AM
Another perfectly good thread being utterly spoiled by known racist Peter Griffin rising to Mike Hunts tired trolling. Nonsense.

Anyway, I'm actually quite high on Axel. Reminds me of early 1999 HHH actually. They just need to be patient with him and let him build up a catalogue of good matches and settle on how much they want him to mirror his father with his move set/entrance and everything. I think he could have a really good face run ahead of him at some point actually.

Also, yeah, Big E is boss.

Wyatt is the most I've looked forward to a character in forever and I fancy him to do well with the recent run of not brining guys up unless there is something proper planned for them.

Obviously the Shield are fucking great and Ambrose will be world champion one day.

maxxmisery
June 26th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Really surprised how much Axel is unliked here.

He hasn't really had much time to shine, only being on TV for a couple months or so. He's good enough in the ring and has the best possible mouthpiece in the business with him. His future is bright as hell imo. Agree with Slare above, he has that 99 HHH vibe for sure.

Hero!
June 26th, 2013, 11:29 AM
I can't get past the tiny singlet. They need to cover him up, give him some pants.

Nah, Big E's singlets need to keep getting smaller and smaller until he's coming out in a bikini.

he actually had some longer singlets in NXT, so I think management has a thing for his mini-singlets, for some reason.

Cewsh
June 26th, 2013, 11:31 AM
I'm actually really getting behind Axel. They're using him incredibly well, and I think this push is really going to work.

chatty
June 26th, 2013, 11:37 AM
So whats happened to the Ascention, aint been watching NXT since I cancelled sky and thats a shame as its the best show but I heard they are putting Judas Devlin in with him in replacement for Kenneth Cameron. I'm not to big on Connor in the singles role but as a tag team they could have a good few years as the boss team to beat.

VHS
June 26th, 2013, 11:37 AM
I hope Curtis Axel grows on you guys, really do. I also think he's going to need more than what he's shown us, even though he definitely got the crowd excited at Payback. He needs to show us who he is rather than just having Heyman speak on his behalf, and his promos need to stop being so robotically written.

He's a 'new' guy and new guys morph over time. With Axel, I'm sure he can morph into something that will click with the fans.

InsertItHere
June 26th, 2013, 1:13 PM
I know people were making a comparison between Axel and Haas earlier, but does anyone see Cody Rhodes when watching Axel? Like Rhodes, I see a wrestler who will be given the opportunity to establish himself, have a few lengthy but not necessarily memorable mid-card title runs, but ultimately never crack the main event scene. Just something about both of their personalities/demeanors that seem like will never fully "click" with the audience. Both have similar wrestling abilities as well...good to even very-good at times, but never great.

Yes, I know Rhode's career is far from over, but I feel like at this point he's going to be stuck in mid-card purgatory the rest of his career. I see a similar progression for Axel.

InsertItHere
June 26th, 2013, 1:15 PM
Also, Big E is most definitely the future. The man just seems to have IT. I'd love to see him in a few lengthier matches to truly showcase his talent. The Del Rio matches seemingly were just the tip of the iceberg.

Slare
June 26th, 2013, 1:26 PM
Do you think that big E being Black might affect him being the 'face' of WWE. I don't subscribe to the argument myself but it's something I see come up every now and again?

Cewsh
June 26th, 2013, 1:27 PM
I don't honestly. I think they were seriously going that route with Lashley before he left.

Slare
June 26th, 2013, 1:31 PM
It's a strange one, because it's glaringly obvious every one of their top top guys have been white (barring the Rock but that's a whole 'nother debate) and they've only had a handful of black 'stars' in time gone by.

However, I think it would be an awesome change of pace and exactly what they need to do. The guy is absolute gold, but I think theres just that unspoken subconcious stigma against it. Hopefully I'm wrong.

VHS
June 26th, 2013, 1:33 PM
I know people were making a comparison between Axel and Haas earlier, but does anyone see Cody Rhodes when watching Axel? Like Rhodes, I see a wrestler who will be given the opportunity to establish himself, have a few lengthy but not necessarily memorable mid-card title runs, but ultimately never crack the main event scene. Just something about both of their personalities/demeanors that seem like will never fully "click" with the audience. Both have similar wrestling abilities as well...good to even very-good at times, but never great.

Yes, I know Rhode's career is far from over, but I feel like at this point he's going to be stuck in mid-card purgatory the rest of his career. I see a similar progression for Axel.

Not at all :wtf:

Cody, I feel, has more ability than Axel in the one department Axel has been lacking in: character. Cody's a naturally funny and charismatic guy that can carry matches with the big boys. He'll be a main guy some day.

Beer-Belly
June 26th, 2013, 1:36 PM
Lashley has the charisma of an uncooked turnip, so I highly doubt he would've ever gotten to the top of the totem pole. Big E, on the other hand, has everything WWE looks for in a top guy.

Cewsh
June 26th, 2013, 1:56 PM
It's a strange one, because it's glaringly obvious every one of their top top guys have been white (barring the Rock but that's a whole 'nother debate) and they've only had a handful of black 'stars' in time gone by.

However, I think it would be an awesome change of pace and exactly what they need to do. The guy is absolute gold, but I think theres just that unspoken subconcious stigma against it. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I think there is a stigma, but it has a greater impact on the sheer number of white wrestlers compared to wrestlers of any other race. I think it's likely that black people are discouraged from getting into the industry at all, more than Vince McMahon specifically refuses to push them. I mean, how many black wrestlers has WWE had who had that potential? Booker T was heavily pushed, but not on that level, Bobby Lashley was headed down that path but quit for unrelated issues, the Rock made it unquestionably, Ron Simmons didn't, because he wasn't the right fit at the time, Shelton Benjamin and Kofi Kingston had the talent but not the personality. Who else really deserved a shot but could be seen as having been held back?

Lashley has the charisma of an uncooked turnip, so I highly doubt he would've ever gotten to the top of the totem pole. Big E, on the other hand, has everything WWE looks for in a top guy.

Regardless of what you think of the man, his push was clearly headed in that direction. He may never have been the top guy, but they were positioning him to be at least what Batista was during that period.

InsertItHere
June 26th, 2013, 2:07 PM
Just my opinion.

Obviously, yes, Rhode's character has developed over the years, but has he even been close to tasting the main event scene as a single's competitor? No. I can see Axel progressing similarly.

Not at all :wtf:

Cody, I feel, has more ability than Axel in the one department Axel has been lacking in: character. Cody's a naturally funny and charismatic guy that can carry matches with the big boys. He'll be a main guy some day.

JP
June 26th, 2013, 2:20 PM
Out of the mid-card Cody is the one who hasn't been at ME level before that would make the easiest transition to it.

He will win the Blue Briefcase.

Andy
June 26th, 2013, 2:48 PM
I really hope Cody wins that briefcase, or at least gets a shot at the big one this year. Despite having limited opportunities recently he still connects with the crowd every time he goes out there. He's good on the mic, puts on good matches and always seems to get himself heat despite being pretty irrelevant at the moment. I much prefer him to Sandow personally.

InsertItHere
June 26th, 2013, 4:25 PM
Out of the mid-card Cody is the one who hasn't been at ME level before that would make the easiest transition to it.

He will win the Blue Briefcase.

But doesn't it feel like he's been at this same level for 2-3 years now? Why hasn't the trigger already been pulled? What makes this time different?

One Man Gang
June 26th, 2013, 4:46 PM
But doesn't it feel like he's been at this same level for 2-3 years now? Why hasn't the trigger already been pulled? What makes this time different?

His age? Position in line for such a push? He's about to turn 28. Most guys like Ziggler, Bryan, Punk, Sheamus, ADR and so on are several years older than him. It just seems like a long wait for Rhodes because he's consistently been on television for the past six years without being released or having to deal with a major injury or being pushed down to dark matches. The fact that he has been able to survive in the midcard for so long in this overexposed television era should be a credit to him.

VHS
June 26th, 2013, 4:47 PM
To be fair, WWE hasn't given much of a crap for midcarders for several years now. But it does feel like they're trying a whole lot more with all these new guys coming in. Cody IMO is the most solid amongst the midcard and has been for quite some time. It all depends on what WWE chooses to focus on really.

If we're going to be talking about guys that have been in the same place for 2-3 years then let's mention Kofi Kingston, who has been the same act since his debut in ECW and that was 5 (FIVE) years ago. Cody on the other hand has been through a whole lot more, like his initial face debut... to his Legacy days with Ted... to his Dashing act... to his disfigured character... and now he's pretty much cemented himself character-wise in WWE.

Andy
June 26th, 2013, 4:49 PM
There's loads of guys that get stuck in the midcard or lower, not necessarily their fault. Axel is a guy they obviously like but he's been nowhere for years. It took ages for them to pull the trigger on Ziggler, even longer for someone like Benoit.

I think he'll get there. He's still young and he has the talent. Sometimes it just takes that one storyline, one feud, one MITB win. I mean the guy grew a mustache and the fans have been going on about it for months. He has charisma in and out of the ring and the fans connect. He'll make it.

JP
June 26th, 2013, 4:52 PM
I remember back when Legacy was happening and most people were hot on Ted. I said it then that Cody would be the bigger star, the lad just oozes natural charisma. He is naturally likable, which is actually a huge step in being a great heel.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
June 26th, 2013, 4:56 PM
I'm going to be unpopular here and say Cody, to me, is rather generic. He doesn't stand out for being too big/small, he doesn't have any distinguishing features beyond his moustache. Does it matter? Maybe not. I just feel like the times I liked Cody have been the times he had "something" about him. The paper bags, the face protector, now the moustache - but you can't bank a main event on a moustache... Maybe he can bring back the old belt. :chin:

Cewsh
June 26th, 2013, 4:56 PM
There's nothing actually wrong with being a career midcarder.

JP
June 26th, 2013, 4:58 PM
Cody won't be one though.

Cewsh
June 26th, 2013, 5:01 PM

Who knows? His brother was, and he was much more charismatic. People view becoming a main eventer as something that talented guys will just eventual do. It doesn't work that way. If he develops the right character at the right time, and the crowds respond, he'll get there. Otherwise he'll just be a well paid and highly valued member of the most prestigious wrestling promotion on the planet.

InsertItHere
June 26th, 2013, 5:02 PM
My thoughts exactly. I think this is what Cody will be, but doesn't make it a bad thing.

There's nothing actually wrong with being a career midcarder.

MMH
June 26th, 2013, 5:02 PM

He probably will be. His time to make the step up to the main event has been and gone. Not even his fault. Same with Barrett I reckon.

He will be a Christian level guy I reckon. Can step up into the main event every once in a while but will always be just beneath it.

Cewsh
June 26th, 2013, 5:05 PM
I also think that people tend to forget that tons of career midcarders became main eventers later in their careers when they had the experience and crowd savvy to be dependable on that level. Mark Henry, JBL, Steve Austin, Mick Foley. All sorts. Just because he might be ready one day is no reason to give him a title shot now when he has no momentum whatsoever.

JP
June 26th, 2013, 5:09 PM
Cody is a future World Champion, this year or next, mark my words.

No doubt in if Dustin was at his peak in this age he would have also been a champion.

JP
June 26th, 2013, 5:12 PM
I also think that people tend to forget that tons of career midcarders became main eventers later in their careers when they had the experience and crowd savvy to be dependable on that level. Mark Henry, JBL, Steve Austin, Mick Foley. All sorts. Just because he might be ready one day is no reason to give him a title shot now when he has no momentum whatsoever.

The briefcase gives him momentum immediately and a spotlight to shine in as he bides his time.

But on your larger point, absolutely. Mark Henry is possibly the best example.

Cewsh
June 26th, 2013, 5:15 PM
The briefcase gives him momentum immediately and a spotlight to shine in as he bides his time.

I don't agree with that at all. If you give the briefcase to someone who has been jobbing on Main Event for months without giving him any kind of actual build or character change before hand, all you're doing is ensuring that a title match down the road will be flat and unconvincing. Every time the briefcase has actually helped a wrestler, they won it at a point in their career where they were ready talent wise AND push wise to start moving rapidly up the card. The Miz is the closest to Cody right now, and he had been portrayed as a much bigger deal beforehand and still barely made it work.

Cody may have the skill and he may not, but forcing it this year isn't going to do him any favors.

One Man Gang
June 26th, 2013, 5:17 PM
He probably will be. His time to make the step up to the main event has been and gone. Not even his fault. Same with Barrett I reckon.

So he should have been main eventing at age 25? Very very few people are given that opportunity so young unless they're monsters. Ziggler is what, 33 and debuted as a caddy in 2005? It took Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels eight years since their WWE debuts to finally main event or win the big one.

I really don't think time has run out for Rhodes. Do I think he'll be the next Stone Cold? No. But he'll have his time.

JP
June 26th, 2013, 5:19 PM
Who has the briefcase not helped, even if was only for the short term?

Cewsh
June 26th, 2013, 5:20 PM
Who has the briefcase not helped, even if was only for the short term?

Jack Swagger.

That's the nightmare scenario. It ruined his career.

Andy
June 26th, 2013, 5:21 PM
Daniel Bryan wasn't exactly doing much before he won MITB was he? And he lost loads of matches after he won it before he cashed in.

I agree there's nothing wrong with being a midcarder for life, I just don't think Cody will be. Axel, Slater and Truth are three current guys who spring to mind when you say midcarder for life.

The other thing is, the WWE roster has never had this much depth, IMO. You have guys like Rhodes, Sandow, Cesaro, Barrett and Sin Cara jobbing on Superstars half the time, all of whom I could see winning the WHC at least at varying points in the future.

Cewsh
June 26th, 2013, 5:23 PM
Daniel Bryan wasn't exactly doing much before he won MITB was he? And he lost loads of matches after he won it before he cashed in.

Definitely, but Cody Rhodes is no Daniel Bryan.

The other thing is, the WWE roster has never had this much depth, IMO. You have guys like Rhodes, Sandow, Cesaro, Barrett and Sin Cara jobbing on Superstars half the time, all of whom I could see winning the WHC at least at varying points in the future.

Totally agree.

JP
June 26th, 2013, 5:24 PM
Jack Swagger.

That's the nightmare scenario. It ruined his career.

No it didn't, the woeful booking of Swagger after he lost the belt was his downfall. His win against Jericho, feud with Rey and general handling during that time were very well done. I specifically remember a total rip off of an old Angle, ummm, angle that Swagger pulled off brilliantly with high school awards, portrait etc etc.

And don't give up on my Swags. He'll get there* one day.

*there may be jail

Andy
June 26th, 2013, 5:24 PM
Swagger failed because he's fucking boring. They gave him that briefcase way too soon and after years when they tried to rekindle his push he fucked up getting arrested and being as boring as ever. The guy has no charisma in the ring or out of it.

MMH
June 26th, 2013, 5:25 PM
So he should have been main eventing at age 25? Very very few people are given that opportunity so young unless they're monsters. Ziggler is what, 33 and debuted as a caddy in 2005? It took Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels eight years since their WWE debuts to finally main event or win the big one.

I really don't think time has run out for Rhodes. Do I think he'll be the next Stone Cold? No. But he'll have his time.

I just dont see him as a main event guy. Hes well rounded and a great hand. Depends what you deem a main event guy to be really. Zigglers progression was steady and generally upwards. Cody got a big break early in Legacy and has gone down somewhat since then. I have this problem with a lot of the potential main event guys like Barrett, Sandow, Rhodes etc.

Cewsh
June 26th, 2013, 5:26 PM
No it didn't, the woeful booking of Swagger after he lost the belt was his downfall. His win against Jericho, feud with Rey and general handling during that time were very well done. I specifically remember a total rip off of an old Angle, ummm, angle that Swagger pulled off brilliantly with high school awards, portrait etc etc.

He got that briefcase push before his character or his skills were ready to have the spotlight on him like that, and he crumpled under it. The storylines were bad, and the Big Show feud was all wrong, but it was Swagger himself who failed. It's not a coincidence that he spent forever jobbing in penance afterwards.

MMH
June 26th, 2013, 5:27 PM
Swagger failed because he's fucking boring. They gave him that briefcase way too soon and after years when they tried to rekindle his push he fucked up getting arrested and being as boring as ever. The guy has no charisma in the ring or out of it.

I think Swaggers push was done in the wrong place. He won the briefcase and title when he was still quite a goofy character. If they would have given him a serious character after winning the belt it may have worked. As it was he won the belt and nothing changed.

Andy
June 26th, 2013, 5:27 PM
Definitely, but Cody Rhodes is no Daniel Bryan.

Perhaps, but he's a lot more interesting that someone like Swagger and much more ready than someone like Ambrose at this stage.

I just think he could make the step up no problem. I'd like to see him feud with the likes of Ziggler, Bryan, Orton and Punk as a heel, loads of possibilities if he were a face too.

Cewsh
June 26th, 2013, 5:31 PM
Perhaps, but he's a lot more interesting that someone like Swagger and much more ready than someone like Ambrose at this stage.

I just think he could make the step up no problem. I'd like to see him feud with the likes of Ziggler, Bryan, Orton and Punk as a heel, loads of possibilities if he were a face too.

I'll be honest, I have quite a lot of trouble picturing Cody Rhodes as someone to take seriously. He doesn't have a lot of presence in or out of the ring. He's very comfortable on the mic, but not memorable expressive on it, and his matches predominantly highlight his opponent whether he's a heel or a face. He seems to me like a perfect number 2. I think he could be a really compelling Arn Anderson to someone else's Ric Flair, but after all these years, he still doesn't command attention. I thought he had something with his disfigured gimmick, but even that always felt like a build up to a moment that never happened.

I think age and experience will give him even more tools to work with, and if I were making a promotion, he'd be one of my early draft picks to build a midcard around. But 2013 Cody Rhodes is not a World Heavyweight Champion.

JP
June 26th, 2013, 5:31 PM

You have a point on the charisma. Not that he has none, but that he struggles to let it out at times.

All the tools, a great body, a legit background, pushed too hard too quickly who most people think has peaked already and might be best to let him go. For years, that was Mark Henry.

One Man Gang
June 26th, 2013, 5:33 PM
I just dont see him as a main event guy. Hes well rounded and a great hand. Depends what you deem a main event guy to be really. Zigglers progression was steady and generally upwards. Cody got a big break early in Legacy and has gone down somewhat since then. I have this problem with a lot of the potential main event guys like Barrett, Sandow, Rhodes etc.

Cody has gone downhill since Legacy? I would think most would agree his stock rose when he became dashing and undashing. It's just been this past year that has stalled him. Rhodes Scholars wasn't a bad place to be up until they lost at the Royal Rumble and it became clear they wouldn't win the tag titles. So really we're just talking about the past 4 or 5 months where for the most part he's been putting over everyone. But we've seen this before with Daniel Bryan and Dolph Ziggler etc.

Andy
June 26th, 2013, 5:34 PM
I think age and experience will give him even more tools to work with, and if I were making a promotion, he'd be one of my early draft picks to build a midcard around. But 2013 Cody Rhodes is not a World Heavyweight Champion.

I would've said the exact same about Bryan in 2011.

Cewsh
June 26th, 2013, 5:35 PM
I would've said the exact same about Bryan in 2011.

And you would have been right. His run was specifically as a guy who had no business being there.

Tainted Eclipse
June 26th, 2013, 5:36 PM
Not everyone with any talent needs a run at the main event. Cody doesn't have a great look, isn't exceptional in the ring, and isn't particularly over. He's reasonably charismatic, good on the mic and decent in the ring; seems like a fine recipe for a career midcarder who can have a couple notable mid card feuds, maybe put some people over, and have a consistent spot on the roster. Granted they're not even doing that with him and to that extent he is underutilized, but there are plenty of guys in the mid card with more ability and main event potential than Cody.

MMH
June 26th, 2013, 5:37 PM
Cody has gone downhill since Legacy? I would think most would agree his stock rose when he became dashing and undashing. It's just been this past year that has stalled him. Rhodes Scholars wasn't a bad place to be up until they lost at the Royal Rumble and it became clear they wouldn't win the tag titles. So really we're just talking about the past 4 or 5 months where for the most part he's been putting over everyone. But we've seen this before with Daniel Bryan and Dolph Ziggler etc.

Like Cewsh said, hes not Daniel Bryan though, I wouldnt say he is like Ziggler either who connects more with the crowd.

Dashing and Undashing was a good mid card act. Legacy was mixing with main eventers.

I may be proved wrong and hope I am coz I like him but I just dont see him being a top level guy anymore. There is nothing wrong with that either.

MMH
June 26th, 2013, 5:48 PM
Oh going back to the black guys getting pushed as a big deal thing, They wanted Ahmed Johnson to be a top player but he messed that up be being pretty useless. They were certainly behind him though at the time.

Fanny Batter
June 26th, 2013, 6:11 PM
Rhodes had great momentum before that Big Show feud at Wrestlemania last year. Why they killed that run with Show when they had no plans for the big man as a babyface I have no idea. Rhodes should have defended the IC title at that show and went on to better things later in the year, instead they bitched him out and he hasn't really gotten back to where he was.

The Law
June 26th, 2013, 6:19 PM
-Cody Rhodes will turn 28 later this week. He's one of the youngest members of the roster, basically the same age as the guys from The Shield. He still has a long time to develop.

-I really wanted to see Ric Flair become Ziggler's mentor, and then form a new Four Horsemen with Ziggler, Cody, Sandow, and Big E. Unfortunately, they gave Miz the Flair push.

-I don't see Cody as a main event player. He's a great guy to have in the midcard, as he knows all the fundamentals of wrestling, is comfortable on the mic, and knows how to make people look good. But he's not great in the ring, or great on the mic, or incredibly charismatic. Guys who are good at everything but great at nothing don't usually make for main eventers.

-On the other hand, when most guys on the roster were 27 they were in developmental or not working for WWE at all. So again, there's still time.

Simmo Fortyone
June 26th, 2013, 7:05 PM
I honestly don't see much in Axel as a character. He's just another angry white dude that we see seemingly hundreds of.

Big E is a fucking boss. He's Lashley but likable.

And I'm fairly certain people have been saying "Cody will be WHC in the next year" since Legacy ended.

Ringo
June 26th, 2013, 7:54 PM
I think Swaggers push was done in the wrong place. He won the briefcase and title when he was still quite a goofy character. If they would have given him a serious character after winning the belt it may have worked. As it was he won the belt and nothing changed.

That's not how I remember it. His reign was short (82 days) and I think I was only watching Smackdown for half of that period (note: when most people who actually watched Smackdown here were enjoying it, not when everyone promptly came to the conclusion that his reign had been a huge flop) but I think I'm right in saying that there was a quite deliberate change in his character when he won. When he cashed in on Jericho he came to the ring all excited and desperate - even worried that the opportunity might slip away from him. But as soon as the ref counted 3 he got right up and just stood there stone-faced and serious as if to say "I never had the slightest doubt - I was always meant to be here holding this". For a couple of weeks after he delivered good promos in a more serious manner. I'm sure I remember talking about it with people like mth and Hero. I think he even took away the goofy posing in his entrance (the press ups etc.) but I could be wrong.

After that I only saw the lackluster PPV defence (against Orton I believe) and loss to Kane at MITB... so I'm not really sure.

The Law
June 26th, 2013, 8:33 PM
He spent most of his title reign playing a really goofy character who would go on and on about his accomplishments in a delusional way-claiming he had won the Heisman Trophy, ect. The primary problem with him playing a serious character is his voice-it's hard to take him seriously with that lisp. Giving him a manager was a good idea and should have happened sooner. He hasn't really gotten over that much with Zeb for a couple reasons: 1) most of the audience doesn't care much about politics, so the only thing they can really get going is that Zeb and Swagger hate Mexicans. As most of the audience isn't Mexican, most of them don't really care. 2) His more serious character out of the ring hasn't led to any change in his in-ring style. He doesn't wrestle any more aggressively than he used to and still does all the same moves that he used to.

I think he's a fine midcarder, but I don't really see him getting further than he already has. Somebody with influence obviously loves him, they've spent more time pushing him than almost anyone else on the roster.

Anaconda Sniper
June 26th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Swagger was doing great until they had him feud with the heat killer face Big Show. They did the same to SES that summer too. Big Show pretty much killed all Swaggers heat he had gained..and killed SES heat as well...thank god Punk got drafted to Raw shortly after that.

mr sabu
June 26th, 2013, 10:04 PM
just turn cody into Mr sinister

Brian M.
June 26th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Swagger has almost everything they are looking for in a top guy. The size, the look, the ring presence, and especially the legit athletic background. Unfortunately he has no mic skills, doesn't know how to connect with the audience and is seemingly a bit of an idiot. He will likely stick around for quite a long time in the hopes that he finally puts it all together one day, but I hardly see it happening. Especially since there are literally about 20 mid-carders on the roster who run circles around him.

Kimura Kid
June 27th, 2013, 9:21 AM
I no like swaggers :drevil:

Slare
June 27th, 2013, 9:30 AM
I actually really enjoyed Swagger in the 'We the People' run - especially that Kayfabe busting video they did. I think the real issue is that he was paired up with Del Rio - we saw the match a million times and they're not a duo that will set the world alight. If they gave him a little more JBL and a little less Muhammed Hassan then I think they could get there.