PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Ever Backyard Wrestle as a kid?

Kimura Kid
June 24th, 2013, 2:44 PM
If so share some of your favorite memories!!

I used to always make Cardboard championships and glue my Grandma's gold doily's to the cardboard to make some pretty epic championships. From there my best friend and I would gather all the tin foil trays we could find to utilize as steel chairs. We would use my backyard as the ring and it was a four sided fence that we could bounce off of like they were ropes. I used to have a neighbor that would come out and scream at us because we permantly damaged the fence where we would bounce off of. I always remember telling my buddy (who wasn't as into it as I was) That he could be the champion.....and come out with the championship. But I always was a prick that ended up winning the match and the title. haha!!

I still talk to him and he is still my best friend to this day and he still busts my balls and says things like "I could be the champion, but you're going to win right??" anytime I'm trying to get him to do something he would rather not do. lol good times!!

I know Cewsh likes to powerbomb pillows through windows so please share your childhood wrestling experiences!!

VHS
June 24th, 2013, 2:49 PM
I did a couple of times when I was a wee cassette, but after some quick lessons learned I realized that:

a. I would get hurt,
b. the other guy would get hurt, or
c. both of us would get hurt.

Plus, there's always that friend that took it too far and got mad pissed and tried to fight for real.

Cewsh
June 24th, 2013, 2:52 PM
I'm thoroughly embarrassed by how much I did it as a teenager. I'm talking full on stupid people jumping out of trees, and suplexing each other onto wooden bed box covers. Though weirdly the only injury I ever got from that stuff was my friend tried an ankle lock on me while I was in a sleeping bag and I wound up pulling my hamstring. Hurt like fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Andy
June 24th, 2013, 3:08 PM
I broke my brother's should by trying a hurricanrana from hanging on a climbing frame. I was about 10 so he must've been 7, I basically just dropped from a hanging position, full weight onto one shoulder shins first. I'll master the technique one day.

G-Fresh
June 24th, 2013, 3:17 PM
Yup. I still got almost every match on DVD that our fed put on. We used thumbtacks, barbed wire, fire, & a bunch of other crazy shit like frying pans. We didn't use anything to soften the ground slams like padding or mattresses either.

Cracked ribs are really the only injuries I've had other than fucking up my back at the 2003 GotJ by being powerbombed on a pile of chairs. We have access to a ring now so we're gonna start again soon.

MMH
June 24th, 2013, 3:18 PM
Yeah we used to have a "federation" when I was about 11 to 14.

Different world back then though as an atomic drop was a high spot when I was growing up so we never hurt each other. There must have been about 20 of us with most of us pulling double duty to pad out the roster.

We had different arenas, ie peoples houses, but our MSG was a lumber truck that a bloke around the corner drove. Every once in a while he would park it up when home and it was the perfect size for us, about 5 feet in the air and rectangular in shape and made of wood so we could stomp to our hearts content. Well until we got chased away anyway.

I still have the World title belt (made out of a frosties box) and a couple of magazines and hasbro figure backs I made back then complete with all our federations characters on the back. We also filmed some of our "shows" which i still have somewhere on VHS tape too complete with our theme songs etc.

Im glad we didnt grow up in the Attitude/ECW era or we would be dead now.

Kdestiny
June 24th, 2013, 3:39 PM
I'm thoroughly embarrassed by how much I did it as a teenager. I'm talking full on stupid people jumping out of trees, and suplexing each other onto wooden bed box covers. Though weirdly the only injury I ever got from that stuff was my friend tried an ankle lock on me while I was in a sleeping bag and I wound up pulling my hamstring. Hurt like fuuuuuuuuuuck.

I did a Superfly splash out of a treehouse when I was about 13 when I was wrestling against my older brother and he actually moved. Cracked a rib and that sucked.

Cewsh
June 24th, 2013, 3:44 PM
I never did the daredevil stuff. I was always getting landed on.

Hero!
June 24th, 2013, 3:44 PM
God yes. We had quite a few titles: My smoking skull foam belt was the world title. My buddy had lost a sideplate to his SS foam belt, so we put some duct tape on it and called it our hardcore title. One dude had a proper replica European title, which we'd fight for, but no one was allowed to win it as he had to bring it back home whenever we were done.

Unfortunately, my dad works in construction and had a small home repair company that he ran on the side, so we had TONS of stuff to use as weapons. We'd make "tables" out of plywood stacked on bricks, we'd gather recycling bottles/cans, all kinds of pipes, and those throw-away foil cooking dish things and use them to create "backstage brawls", and most of all we fuckin' loved jumping off ladders - which I had plenty of.

Thankfully, we never used any dangerous weapons or bladed, but we could have gotten so seriously injured that i'm SHOCKED none of us ever ended up in the ER. We did this from about 99-01, when everyone, but me stopped watching wrestling.

My ring was A-Pac, btw.

Kdestiny
June 24th, 2013, 4:04 PM
I never did the daredevil stuff. I was always getting landed on.

I started as a diehard HBK fan so I was definitely doing the top rope cool high flying moves.

One Man Gang
June 24th, 2013, 4:29 PM
My friends and I didn't really backyard wrestle so much as we held fight club as teenagers.

VanillaJello
June 24th, 2013, 4:34 PM
Heck yes I did.

Even got my best friend's dad to tape it for us. We wrestled on a trampoline so the impact wasn't as bad. It was terrible then, looks even worse on tape now.

Characters like Mr. Business, RMX, Da Bomb and the Cowboy Kids ran the federation. Our biggest stunt was a power bomb through a "table" which was plywood held up by bricks. You could even hear us count "1, 2, 3" before my friend jumped as I lifted for the power bomb.

Only really tried one or two stupid backyard wrestling moves, like being "thrown"/jumping off a shed and an unprotected piledriver.

Good times.

turdpower
June 24th, 2013, 4:40 PM
It was all the rage at school. I've witnessed a kid get chokeslammed (willingly) and an 11 year old kid be given a DDT by a 16 year old and be taken to hospital in an air ambulance.

Bert
June 24th, 2013, 4:48 PM
Yup. I still got almost every match on DVD that our fed put on. We used thumbtacks, barbed wire, fire, & a bunch of other crazy shit like frying pans. We didn't use any to soften the ground slams like padding or mattresses either.

Cracked ribs are really the only injuries I've had other than fucking up my back at the 2003 GotJ by being powerbombed on a pile of chairs. We have access to a ring now so we're gonna start again soon.

YouTube that shit.

Fanny
June 24th, 2013, 4:54 PM
you can't YouTube lies.

Actually you can.

G-Fresh
June 24th, 2013, 4:58 PM
Nah. It ain't lies.

I might put some online eventually.

Kdestiny
June 24th, 2013, 5:25 PM
I watched my brother have a ladder match and I interfered, that was fun.

MikeHunt
June 24th, 2013, 5:30 PM
You interfered with your brother????

Kdestiny
June 24th, 2013, 5:32 PM
In the match on his behalf, yes

MikeHunt
June 24th, 2013, 5:34 PM
SICK!!!!!!!

Kdestiny
June 24th, 2013, 5:35 PM
Not sure i follow

Cewsh
June 24th, 2013, 5:37 PM
That doesn't mean anything in the States, Mike.

Kdestiny
June 24th, 2013, 5:39 PM

Should have figured he meant it in that fashion

Mr_Nobody
June 24th, 2013, 5:41 PM
My entire neighborhood used to do it when I was a kid. Granted, we're talking when I was like 10-11 years old. We met at the only friend with a trampoline's house. Set up corners using 2x4s, old couch cushions, and duct tape. Used actual rope for the ropes, but we wrapped it in duct tape to provide some protection. We had weekly shows, and we would plan it out as to who was facing who each week. We had the World Title, the US Title, and the Tag Team Titles, made out of cardboard, aluminum foil, construction paper, etc. It last for about 2 years, at least, that's how long I was a part of it, but I know it went on for about a year after I stopped.

We didn't do anything fancy, because, in the end, it was a bunch of kids just playing around. My personal finishing move was the superkick, and I did super high flying moves like a cross body block (which was highflying back then).

G-Fresh
June 24th, 2013, 5:45 PM
Not sure i follow

Molesto.

MikeHunt
June 24th, 2013, 5:45 PM

Uncultured.

Kdestiny
June 24th, 2013, 5:47 PM
Molesto.

Yeah, I got that now. Is that what he thinks intereference is in any match including the WWE?

MikeHunt
June 24th, 2013, 5:50 PM
Obviously window licker.

Kdestiny
June 24th, 2013, 5:51 PM
Cool

Bluegunn
June 30th, 2013, 3:56 AM
I used to all the time as a kid, but we would be mat wrestlers and avoid anything that involved taking bumps

Fanny
June 30th, 2013, 4:32 AM
so basically you just cuddled all your mates loads

wardy
June 30th, 2013, 9:22 AM
Did this all the time. We put a mattress on top of 2 garden chairs out my backdoor and my mate Chucky fisherman suplexed me through it. We snapped one of the chair legs and I smashed my head off the ground but it was worth it as a finish to a match that saw us trade shots to the head with a 'Quality Streets' lid and sprays to the face with an air freshener on top of my garden hut.

Another time in summer 2000 we held SummerSlam out my mate's gran's backdoor which was basically a tag team ladder match between the The Hardy Boyz and the Conquistadors (me and another guy). This garden was perfect as it had a perfectly square raised patch of grass with a clothes pole in each corner that we tied the washing line around at waist height and his gran was the biggest pushover ever, letting us use her actual couch cushions to pad the 'ring'. She would literally sit with a cup of tea and watch Eastenders on the springs and 2ps and whatever else lurks beneath. Anyway, we were all in our socks so we put someone's shoe on top of a big hedge and the only way you could get to it was by climbing this old step ladder they had. So me and Matt Hardy (Chucky) fought out on to the street, commentating the whole time of course, and after a few back and forths in people's gardens I threw him into a hedge and bolted back to the 'arena'. Conquistador #2 had Jeff Hardy occupied so I set up the ladder and made a dash for the title (shoe). Just as I was climbing the ladder, Matt Hardy reappeared like: "Here comes Matt Hardy where the hell's he been... AAAHHHHRGRGKK... Matt Hardy's broke his toe!" as he stubbed his toe on the raised part of the grass and collapsed in agony, allowing me to grab the shoe and bring the title home for the lads!

I miss those days. Next Rajah meet needs to involve some actual wrestling.

Fanny
June 30th, 2013, 9:48 AM
we wrestled like nobody's business all night in Legends nightclub in Newcastle a couple of years or so ago. Everyone else basically cleared the dancefloor while we battered fuck out of each other and Alf got Rock Bottomed in a puddle of beer.

The Rosk
June 30th, 2013, 10:06 AM
No he didn't. It was a World's Strongest Slam. I also sold beautifully for a few big moves. That was fun.

There is a picture knocking round of us recreating the Montreal Screwjob on like the third Meet. We are cool.

I haven't seen the IN THE BIN video for a while. I hope that hasn't gone missing.

Fanny
June 30th, 2013, 12:12 PM
:lol: I stand corrected

Badger
June 30th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Last time was about 12 years ago when I had a summer job packing berries. We wrestled about a bit in the cardboard skip, did a Swanton Bomb into it. Also People's Elbowed someone in a cardboard box.

mth
June 30th, 2013, 5:14 PM
Can't say that I did and honestly, while I think it's pretty reckless and stupid, I kind of wish I had 'cuz it probably would have been pretty fun and created some nutty memories. The main problem was that at various points, I only had one friend that was into it. Other than trying to put each other in a couple of submission holds here and there, we never had any interest in actually trying anything else.
But when I was in 8th grade or so, when the Monday Night Wars were going and such, a handful of guys at my school were often talking about it, playing the games, etc. but they were WCW fans, not so much WWF (meanwhile, me and a buddy or two were into WWF). So, I wasn't even really in league with them since we weren't into the same wrestling. However, there were a couple of occasions where the P.E. teacher had left some pads and mats outside and these guys were trying to do moves to each other and I got in on that. I took a Diamond Cutter and hurt my nose a bit and took a powerbomb.

G-Fresh
June 30th, 2013, 7:06 PM
Elbows are the fuckin worst moves to take. A dude that weighed over 200 pounds jumped up in the air and landed one on my ribs on my right side and it was fuckin bad. I finished the match but couldn't breathe right for weeks and it hurt to walk for a while. I'd much rather take some tacks.

Hero!
June 30th, 2013, 7:26 PM
I only had one friend that was into it. Other than trying to put each other in a couple of submission holds here and there, we never had any interest in actually trying anything else.

"submission holds" eh?

mth
June 30th, 2013, 8:03 PM
Glad I've inspired you to write more mth fanfic now...

McBain
July 1st, 2013, 3:05 AM
Done it twice when drunk and had a lot of fun.

First time was on a trampoline and I managed to somehow fall off the trampoline and fuck up my shoulder pretty bad whilst tannin the voddie.

Second time I had a match with my mate before WrestleMania and won when I planted him onto a chair with a DDT. I think we were hammered then too and lucky I didn't knock him out. Moronic behaviour. We weren't that young either. :ashamed:

Some lads in the year below me at school had their own backyard fed though and one of them leant me the videos to watch one time. :lol: Ridiculous it was.

ckauffman28
July 1st, 2013, 12:50 PM
we always used our trampoline and even had it at one point up against a storage bldg similar to "pods" and jumped off that... never any injuries other than my brothers chipped tooth