PDA

View Full Version : "Wow, what an exciting face turn!"

Kyle_242
June 23rd, 2013, 12:17 PM
...have these words ever been spoken? Ever?

Many heel turns are immortalized in our memory. HBK and the barber show window, Hogan at Bash at the Beach, just to name a couple that immediately come to mind. But I can't think of a memorable face turn, it always seems to happen quietly off-camera, when someone will come out as a good guy one week and start wrestling bad guys with next to zero back story as to why.

The closest I can think of getting excited for a face turn was Stone Cold during Invasion, when Vince was trying to bring out the "old Stone Cold". Of course, he just ended up "turning" heel again that night. When HHH and HBK re-united for DX, maybe that would count, but the incredibly drawn-out tease took away a lot of its impact.

With so many face/heel turns over the years, I'm sure this has happened though, right?

StoneColdChris
June 23rd, 2013, 12:28 PM
Batista turning on HHH

mth
June 23rd, 2013, 12:29 PM
Batista's turning on Trips was pretty well received. :yes: :D :no: :eek:

EDIT: Curses, foiled again!

Hero!
June 23rd, 2013, 2:02 PM
I liked when Umaga turned face for two weeks. Or when BIG MAWK came to RAW and turned face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZyFn1wVhFs

THE SMILE ON THIS FUCKER'S FACE.

Also, Del Rio turning face by saving Ricardo was an awesome moment. He'd treated the dude like shit for years and Ricardo always stuck by his side. When Del Rio came out and beat down 3 fuckers at once, it was awesome.

Hero!
June 23rd, 2013, 2:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R306rxKRNs

Angle turning face during the Invasion. Do people even remember how OVER he was until he turned on team WWF? Angle was tearing shit up, beating people for the WCW, US, and hardcore titles and just generally killin' it.

chatty
June 23rd, 2013, 2:18 PM
Macho man with Elizabeth was well received

Undertaker turning on Jake?

Was Luger bodyslamming Yoko a face turn?

Austin refusing to submit to Bret - not sure if that would be classed either.

Cewsh
June 23rd, 2013, 2:22 PM
There have been tons of awesome face turns you cynical bastard.

Batista. Triple H's 2002 comeback, Kurt Angle's becoming WWE's hero in 2001, Virgil turning on Dibiase, the crowd turning Hogan face in 2002, Macho Man reuniting with Elizabeth, the Hart-Austin double turn, Undertaker turning on Jake the Snake, Lex Luger slamming Yokozuna on the aircraft carrier, and maybe most of all Punk's Pipebomb promo. TONS.

Cewsh
June 23rd, 2013, 2:23 PM
Macho man with Elizabeth was well received

Undertaker turning on Jake?

Was Luger bodyslamming Yoko a face turn?

Austin refusing to submit to Bret - not sure if that would be classed either.

All of those are face turns, yes.

mth
June 23rd, 2013, 2:23 PM
I liked when Umaga turned face for two weeks. Or when BIG MAWK came to RAW and turned face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZyFn1wVhFs

THE SMILE ON THIS FUCKER'S FACE.

Also, Del Rio turning face by saving Ricardo was an awesome moment. He'd treated the dude like shit for years and Ricardo always stuck by his side. When Del Rio came out and beat down 3 fuckers at once, it was awesome.

Oh god, YES, that big Mark thing was an amazing moment. And they did not capitalize on it at all, sadly.

Kyle_242
June 23rd, 2013, 4:16 PM
Yeah, those are all good examples. I figured it'd happened before, I was just struggling to think of times when it did.

Seems like the most powerful ones are when guys turn on their heel overlords (Vergil, Batista, etc.). I wouldn't really count comebacks like HHH's, because nearly everyone comes back as a face as a necessity. For instance, Jericho had to troll the crowd for weeks so he'd be able to re-debut as a heel.

Luger's bodyslam (which effectively killed the Narcissist gimmick as well) was a pretty epic one, and I should've remembered that for sure. The crowd forcing Hogan into facedom was also pretty great.

I actually wouldn't count Punk's pipe-bomb promo at all, though. If you go back and watch it, it's clearly heelish in tone, and I'm not sure they ever intended it to be what it was. Which is even more evident in the way they handled it afterward.

Hero!
June 23rd, 2013, 6:00 PM
The thing with Punk is that he WAS heel...that night. The promo caused such a stir and then they left him off TV for week, which pretty much turned Vince heel against Punk. When he came back the following week, he couldn't have gotten booed if he mauled a bag of kittens with a chainsaw, the crowd were too hot for him. He was still acting like a dick to Vince (which the crowd loved), but he got some heat back by comparing Cena to the Yankees in Boston and then tearing up his contract. I consider his face turn his entrance at MITB. He ditched the Nexus gear and full on embraced the crowd, accepting their love and adoration for him.

The Law
June 23rd, 2013, 6:18 PM
Hogan's return to the WWF as a babyface in 1984 definitely counts. It blew the roof off the arena when he saved Backlund from the Wild Samoans. As does the Toronto crowd at Wrestlemania 18 turning him.

This is WCW, but DDP refusing to join the NWO and dropping Scott Hall with the Diamond Cutter got a massive pop.

Savage turning face after losing to Warrior at Wrestlemania VII.

Jacknife
June 23rd, 2013, 7:19 PM
Shawn turning face the night after Wrestlemania XI was awesome.

Mark Hammer
June 23rd, 2013, 8:10 PM
Stone Cold Steve Austin. And that's the bottom line because Mark Hammer said so.

JRSlim21
June 23rd, 2013, 10:09 PM
Wasn't Savage a tweener or a heel when he hit the elbow drop on Flair allowing DDP to win the World Title?

Kev
June 23rd, 2013, 11:00 PM
I think Orton's face turn against his own Legacy stable went over with the crowd well at the time. He defeated them both at Wrestlemania and looked like an absolute beast in the process.

Version 6
June 23rd, 2013, 11:14 PM
Orton's turn was rubbish.

I never understood why were supposed to sympathise with the arsehole who pushed Mick Foley down the stairs, simply because his three arsehole friends don't like him anymore.

Kev
June 23rd, 2013, 11:30 PM
Nah

Atty
June 23rd, 2013, 11:45 PM
Savage at WM 7 was the best. Fucking tearjerking!

Version 6
June 24th, 2013, 12:15 AM
Nah

Never mind me mate. I was getting Legacy mixed up with Evolution.

Kev
June 24th, 2013, 12:27 AM
Hahaha s'all good I was just being a lazy jerk with my response man.

I just remember the crowd going spastic when he got his shine on both Dibiase and Rhodes at Wrestlemania, it was lovely.

(Oh and hey, I got married and just came back from my honeymoon)

Version 6
June 24th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Congratulations mate :yes: