PDA

View Full Version : Actors without Characters

TimeSplitter
June 21st, 2013, 11:31 PM
I thought of this idea for a thread while I was watching "This is the End", which is hilarious by the way.

The movie got me thinking about how it is difficult for me to see certain actors as individual characters. There are certain actors who don't differentiate in character and they as characters are never developed.

Seth Rogen jumps out to me as a guy who only plays one archetype and never differentiates. But at the end of the day, when I watch Seth Rogen in a movie, I have no idea what his character's name is, but simply follow the movie with Seth Rogen as the character.

Other actors who spring to mind in this subject to me are as follows:

Tom Cruise
Will Smith
James Franco
(more to follow with discusssion)

This is not to say that these individuals (and others) are bad actors. I am simply stating that when I see them in a film, they don't have a character.

I was just wondering if this is a common occurrence with other filmgoers. This was actually the study of my final research paper in film school, and it was met with a lot o criticism from my peers, but I was slowly able to show examples to win them over. I also just got done with a rather lengthy discussion about this with some friends of mine, and they also seem to agree.

G-Fresh
June 21st, 2013, 11:38 PM
Vince Vaughn plays the same character in every movie he's made in the past 10+ years.

Mr. Boombastic
June 21st, 2013, 11:41 PM
Yeah totally agree, infact, I would take it further and say that most actors are basically just playing versions of themselves. I feel like there are far fewer actors who are truly great and have a wide range of characters where you can sometimes forget who is even playing the part and get lost in the performance.

Newf
June 21st, 2013, 11:45 PM
Julia Roberts for me.

Version 6
June 22nd, 2013, 12:05 AM
Hugh Grant.

The_Mike
June 22nd, 2013, 12:14 AM
I think there's a difference between actors who play the same character in every movie (Vaughn, Grant) and those who play essentially ciphers who exist just for a plot to happen around them (Cruise). Precisely where to draw the line is difficult to say, especially once you get so used to seeing an actor as a type of character, but there's definitely a difference between a repeated character and a complete lack of character. I like Tom Cruise, for one, but the extent of his character in just about every movie is "the guy who wants to win".

Bert
June 22nd, 2013, 12:20 AM
Michael Cera

Will Ferrell

G-Fresh
June 22nd, 2013, 12:28 AM
I'll agree with Michael Sera, but not so much with Will Ferrell. He can change his shit up when he wants. Everything Must Go is a good example.

Cewsh
June 22nd, 2013, 12:35 AM
I feel like Will Smith has purposely stepped out of his comfort zone a few too many times to be lumped in here. Though every character he plays becomes charming in some way, because WIll SMith is playing him

mr sabu
June 22nd, 2013, 12:56 AM
keanu reeves

G-Fresh
June 22nd, 2013, 1:46 AM
keanu reeves

Nicolas Cage too. He is basically a slightly less enthusiastic version of him.

Vice
June 22nd, 2013, 1:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP1-oquwoL8

Quite possibly the best thing on the internet.

--

Ken Jeong is basically the same character in everything. Just that crazy, overenthusiastic Asian guy.

I find that a lot of Jack Nicholson's stuff is very same-y.

STEVEN SEAGAL.

Dream-Evil
June 22nd, 2013, 4:08 AM
Hahha YES. Steven Seagal. I think Under Seige is the only film where he isn't holding a gun on the poster.

Judas Iscariot
June 22nd, 2013, 4:21 AM
I'll agree with Michael Sera, but not so much with Will Ferrell. He can change his shit up when he wants. Everything Must Go is a good example.

Really good shout on Everything Must Go. Also Stranger Than Fiction. The dude can throw down when it comes down it, but that's not where he makes his bank and he's been typecast, so fuck it.

Adam Sandler was fantastic in Punch Drunk Love and good in Spanglish, but they don't make the money Grown Ups 2 is going to make.

Jim Carrey was just just the doofus Jim Carrey until he did The Truman Show and it was like, "Oh shit, Ace Venture can act?" Then he did Eternal Sunshine and it's brilliant.

Version 6
June 22nd, 2013, 4:32 AM
Yeah Adam Sandler was brilliant in Funny People too.

Guy can act.

Judas Iscariot
June 22nd, 2013, 4:47 AM
Fuck me for not mentioning Funny People.

Rogen was good in it, too. It wasn't really a departure for him but he showed something.

And for whatever reason, Jonah Hill's line about, "I'm gonna put my glasses on your ass so when I'm fucking you in the ass I can pretend I'm fucking your mouth," was the single funniest thing I ever heard at the time and I use it now and then and no one knows what I'm talking about.

I don't know why that stuck with me. That's probably a case Freud needs to tackle.

Peter Griffin
June 22nd, 2013, 4:57 AM
I feel like Will Smith has purposely stepped out of his comfort zone a few too many times to be lumped in here. Though every character he plays becomes charming in some way, because WIll SMith is playing him

Yup, The pursuit of happiness,Ali,Bad boyz,Hancock, fair range right there.

Judas Iscariot
June 22nd, 2013, 4:57 AM
Adam Sandler aggravates me. Because I know, we know and he knows that he can do better. But fuck, he's gonna make money off of Jack and Jill.

BTW I paid for a ticket to see that disaster.

And sat there giggling the entire time. I can't help it with him.

Kdestiny
June 22nd, 2013, 10:39 AM
Zach Galifanakis.

Peter Griffin
June 22nd, 2013, 10:53 AM
Zach Galifanakis.

Have you seen It's kind of a funny story? Played a pretty different character in that, was quite surprised how good he was.

Jimmy Zero
June 22nd, 2013, 11:02 AM
Including Zack Galifinakis is like saying Mark Hamill only ever played the same character.

Kdestiny
June 22nd, 2013, 11:05 AM
Including Zack Galifinakis is like saying Mark Hamill only ever played the same character.

How so?

Mik
June 22nd, 2013, 11:21 AM
Jack Nicholson is the one that springs most immediately to mind.

McBain
June 22nd, 2013, 11:41 AM
Samuel L Jackson

Jimmy Zero
June 22nd, 2013, 9:08 PM
How so?

I just checked his imdb page, and he's been in a lot more stuff than I thought, though it's mostly guest spots on tv shows, voiceovers and the occasional bit part in a movie.

That said, he really didn't become someone anyone other than fans of his stand-up paid attention to until the Hangover. I'd take a wait and see approach with him before lumping him in with the "same character over and over," crowd. Though, that stupid Due Date movie does seem to bolster your point.

Mr_Nobody
June 22nd, 2013, 10:28 PM
The person for me is Jack Black. You go back to one of his first roles (heck, it might be his first role), all the way back to the Never Ending Story 3, and he's basically the same guy, albeit a little meaner. He plays the same type of character he acts like in interviews and in the public.

It's hard for me to separate the actor from the character, because they are almost one in the same for him.

There is one exception though, and that's The Big Year, which is a really good movie that most people haven't heard from, staring Steven Martin, Jack Black, and Owen Wilson. He's very low key in it, and it threw me for a loop, because it's something out of character for him.

Fro
June 22nd, 2013, 10:36 PM
James Franco

I'm not sure about this one. His characters in Freaks and Geeks, Pineapple Express and Milk are very distinct and different from his regular guy persona (i.e. Apes, Spider Man)

Fro
June 22nd, 2013, 10:39 PM
Samuel L Jackson

His character in Django Unchained was so great though. He really surprised me with that performance. Other than that I would agree.

Jimmy Zero
June 22nd, 2013, 10:49 PM
I loved him in Unbreakable.

Simmo Fortyone
June 23rd, 2013, 1:26 AM
I thought of this idea for a thread while I was watching "This is the End", which is hilarious by the way.

The movie got me thinking about how it is difficult for me to see certain actors as individual characters. There are certain actors who don't differentiate in character and they as characters are never developed.

Seth Rogen jumps out to me as a guy who only plays one archetype and never differentiates. But at the end of the day, when I watch Seth Rogen in a movie, I have no idea what his character's name is, but simply follow the movie with Seth Rogen as the character.

Other actors who spring to mind in this subject to me are as follows:

Tom Cruise
Will Smith
James Franco
(more to follow with discusssion)

This is not to say that these individuals (and others) are bad actors. I am simply stating that when I see them in a film, they don't have a character.

I was just wondering if this is a common occurrence with other filmgoers. This was actually the study of my final research paper in film school, and it was met with a lot o criticism from my peers, but I was slowly able to show examples to win them over. I also just got done with a rather lengthy discussion about this with some friends of mine, and they also seem to agree.
Exception rather than the rule, but Tropic Thunder?

Vince Vaughn goes at the top of this list. I couldn't tell you any of his character's names in movies because they are literally just him.

Bert
June 23rd, 2013, 2:22 AM
I'm not sure about this one. His characters in Freaks and Geeks, Pineapple Express and Milk are very distinct and different from his regular guy persona (i.e. Apes, Spider Man)

And from what I hear he's great in Spring Breakers as a gangster/rapper.

http://i.imgur.com/7cVlvXM.jpg

I'm waiting for a bluray rip to find out.

kangus
June 23rd, 2013, 2:36 AM
The person for me is Jack Black. You go back to one of his first roles (heck, it might be his first role), all the way back to the Never Ending Story 3, and he's basically the same guy, albeit a little meaner. He plays the same type of character he acts like in interviews and in the public.

It's hard for me to separate the actor from the character, because they are almost one in the same for him.

There is one exception though, and that's The Big Year, which is a really good movie that most people haven't heard from, staring Steven Martin, Jack Black, and Owen Wilson. He's very low key in it, and it threw me for a loop, because it's something out of character for him.

Dude, if you have a chance, I suggest you watch the movie Bernie. He is fantastic in that film.

Stocky
June 23rd, 2013, 3:29 AM
Jason Bateman...

Grimario
June 23rd, 2013, 4:30 AM
Dude, if you have a chance, I suggest you watch the movie Bernie. He is fantastic in that film.

Was about to say the same thing. Fantastic in Bernie :yes:

Canuck
June 23rd, 2013, 5:45 AM
I'm not sure how much this counts.. but Mark Wahlberg always playing the guy from Boston has turned me against him.

McBain
June 23rd, 2013, 6:17 AM
What....no??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rq-7zEVuwI

Sancty
June 23rd, 2013, 7:46 AM

He's quite good in The Holiday which is not your typical Jack Black role. He's also excellent in a smaller role in Enemy of the State

Jason Bateman...

Have you ever seen Juno?

Fro
June 23rd, 2013, 11:48 AM
Bateman is a good shout. I have seen Juno, and he is Jason Bateman in it.

Bill Casey
June 24th, 2013, 3:05 AM
Woody Allen...

Judas Iscariot
June 24th, 2013, 4:01 AM
Bateman is a good shout. I have seen Juno, and he is Jason Bateman in it.

Juno is an explosion of Bateman, Cera and Paige.

Not that I care, the film is great and I wanna hang out with them all.

Judas Iscariot
June 24th, 2013, 4:08 AM
Woody Allen...

I disagree. That one role where he married his adopted step-daughter who was 37 years his senior seemed so realistic it was unbelievable.

Rip
June 24th, 2013, 7:30 AM
I think you could point the finger at most action 'stars' in a way, but in their defence it's probably down to poor writers with limited imagination to the extent where most action roles could almost fit half a dozen actors with limited (if any) change.

Surprised no one has mentioned the undisputed king of this yet...

http://www.biography.com/imported/images/Biography/Images/Profiles/C/Sean-Connery-9255144-1-402.jpg

takerson
June 24th, 2013, 8:53 AM
The first person that popped in my mind, and I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned yet, is Ryan Reynolds.

He has played Van Wilder in every single movie since Van Wilder.

Mr_Nobody
June 24th, 2013, 9:13 AM
I think Ryan Reynolds did a great job in Smokin' Aces, and he wasn't the normal character he normally is. Although Reynolds is one of those actors I like, as long as I don't have to watch the movies he's in. Although, I still think he is taylor made to play Deadpool.

Cewsh
June 24th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Have we mentioned the Rock yet? Because the Rock.

Peter Griffin
June 24th, 2013, 11:03 AM
http://ts2.explicit.bing.net/th?id=H.4662827999822765&pid=15.1

Also Gameplan, Be cool and Grid iron gang were pretty different from a typical Rock movie I thought.

Cewsh
June 24th, 2013, 11:06 AM
They were different movies, but I don't think it would be a stretch to say that he was basically just being versions of himself in all of them except for Be Cool.

takerson
June 24th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Scorchin'! :D

The Rick
June 24th, 2013, 12:28 PM
I think you could point the finger at most action 'stars' in a way, but in their defence it's probably down to poor writers with limited imagination to the extent where most action roles could almost fit half a dozen actors with limited (if any) change.

Surprised no one has mentioned the undisputed king of this yet...

http://www.biography.com/imported/images/Biography/Images/Profiles/C/Sean-Connery-9255144-1-402.jpg

no no. He is obviously Russian in this movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bm59rWJGCE

and an Egyptian from Spain here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbvbIN0nN7A