PDA

View Full Version : The Purge

Mik
June 6th, 2013, 7:09 AM
Anyone seen it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0LLaybEuzA

Good concept, good initial execution, ultimately fell down in the last half of the film.

Worth a watch though, particularly as the daughter in the film is dyn-o-mite.

Beer-Belly
June 6th, 2013, 7:19 AM
I was thinking of giving it a shot as long as it isn't M Night Shyamalan bad. I love schlock, but I immediately turn off if it tries to wedge a message in there.

The Rogerer
June 6th, 2013, 7:57 AM
I hope they do have a message in there to justify just how moronic the premise is.

son_of_foley
June 6th, 2013, 8:16 AM
Not much of a message. If you go with it, it's quite fun although no really redeemable characters with it.

Enjoyed it enough to be honest.

Wouldn't mind another film on the subject or set during this 'reality' but with different characters

Alf
June 6th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Purge 2 is already greenlit. Great concept though. I think I'll give it a wee watch.

Fro
June 6th, 2013, 10:04 AM
This is the one where they're like "for the next X hours, all crime is legal" right?

Sounds extremely dumb. What is the backstory that leads to the purge rules? Tag if necessary..

The Rogerer
June 6th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Obama

Jimmy Zero
June 6th, 2013, 10:11 AM
LOL that looks like the dumbest shit ever.

"Crime is at an all time low....except for one night a year and this black guy comes running into your neighborhood looking for help!"

Mik
June 7th, 2013, 7:30 AM
I think the concept is actually quite well explained in the film. It makes a degree of sense at least. Maybe only a degree though.

It isnt really a 'message' film either.

son_of_foley
June 7th, 2013, 7:49 AM
Yep definitely not a message film.

Feels like an episode of the twilight zone or something but ramped up a little (and maybe just a little over-stretched)

So the reasons behind the purge

- Triple dip recession lead to record high unemployment which lead to record high crime and violent crime
- New founding fathers (not something fully fleshed out in the movie) legalize nearly all crime including murder for 1 night. There are some rules like pretty much no bombs etc
- Basically the rich end up killing most of the poor who can't afford protection so this ends up reducing unemployment and crime right down (covered really early in film and not a spoiler)

This is set on like the 10th or 11th purge so I guess you asked to believe the country has taken to it and enjoys it and likes the blood lettinbg. You think people stick to the rules because you assume I guess someone who didn't during a purge has previously been prosecuted or similar.
-

Dave
June 7th, 2013, 7:12 PM
Anyone seen it?

Good concept, good initial execution, ultimately fell down in the last half of the film.

Worth a watch though, particularly as the daughter in the film is dyn-o-mite.I saw it last weekend, and pretty much agree with your comments entirely - especially the bit about the daughter.

I don't think the trailer doesn't really set up the film all that well. I saw it based on the premise alone, and then saw the trailer after, but was glad I did as I would have gone in expecting a very different film otherwise.

I'll be interested to see a sequel though as there are so many different things they could do with the premise (however ridiculous it is).

The_Mike
June 8th, 2013, 4:53 PM
That's Lolly from Neighbours, by the way.

Looks kind of like the Hunger Games for adults, but with rules. Seems like a concept that you could do a fair amount with but the trailer left me kinda cold.

Jimmy Zero
June 9th, 2013, 7:17 PM
Is there a reason the bad guys are wearing masks when there's literally no reason for them to hide their identities?

Peter Griffin
June 9th, 2013, 7:21 PM
Because bad guys wear masks :panic:

The_Mike
June 10th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Well, everything is legal but there'd still be witnesses, and presumably repercussions during the next purge if they left survivors who cared about their victims.

Dave
June 10th, 2013, 2:43 AM
I felt that it was because of their role in the community. They seemed to be portrayed as the type of young adults that would be looking to go into politics. The Purge may have made crime legal, but it doesn't mean that it was completely socially acceptable, or how it would come to be viewed in future years. If they were looking at running for public office then it taking part might end up being detrimental to their future careers.

Bill Casey
June 10th, 2013, 4:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFUBHR0gwhM

son_of_foley
June 10th, 2013, 5:35 AM
I felt that it was because of their role in the community. They seemed to be portrayed as the type of young adults that would be looking to go into politics. The Purge may have made crime legal, but it doesn't mean that it was completely socially acceptable, or how it would come to be viewed in future years. If they were looking at running for public office then it taking part might end up being detrimental to their future careers.

This.

Mik
June 11th, 2013, 6:10 AM
Is there a reason the bad guys are wearing masks when there's literally no reason for them to hide their identities?

Yeah...because it makes them look creepy.

Dave's explanation is good, but does it explain why they were skipping around and playing on swings creepily?

That was an element of really bad execution in the film where by far the strongest element of it was its concept.

son_of_foley
June 11th, 2013, 6:19 AM
I got the feeling that a lot of them were just playing. Channeling their favourite horror films for this night. Overly entitled and overly confident they thought they could rock up and act creepily and clear the house out.

At one point one is piggybacking the other through the house until he sees the guy isn't cowering in fear but instead has a shotgun and is after them and they panick and scream oh shit.

I think the film did a reasonable job of showing the arrogance of those characters and showing that on this night it's not monsters and it's not superhuman serial killers it's real people and they are stupid.