PDA

View Full Version : "It isn't usually like THIS, I swear..."

BullyRayStoleMyLunch
June 2nd, 2013, 7:01 PM
Today's topic:

What wrestling moment have you been most embarassed watching while with friends/family/etc?

All I'm saying is this: Me and my Dad barely said more than 5 words to each other in the fortnight after Mae got her
(old) lads out...

Simmo Fortyone
June 2nd, 2013, 7:43 PM
Jesus, where do we start?

Basically anything involving the Divas and/or Hornswaggle.

Mr_Nobody
June 2nd, 2013, 7:44 PM
One name:

Katie Vick

G-Fresh
June 2nd, 2013, 7:59 PM
Chyna winning the IC belt. I don't think it can get much worse.

FaSho34
June 2nd, 2013, 8:00 PM
Hornswoggle being CW Champ was bad too

Kev
June 2nd, 2013, 8:12 PM
Eugene, Cena poop jokes, lame Sheamus promos, the anti-every-other-country-pro-USA-jingoistic-bull, backstage segments where divas would come onto older authority figures like Vince and Teddy Long, Brodus Clay dancing...

BullyRayStoleMyLunch
June 2nd, 2013, 8:17 PM
Eugene, Cena poop jokes, lame Sheamus promos, the anti-every-other-country-pro-USA-jingoistic-bull, backstage segments where divas would come onto older authority figures like Vince and Teddy Long, Brodus Clay dancing...

Though not an exact comparison, your Diva comment reminds me... Al Bloody Wilson. No need.

mr sabu
June 2nd, 2013, 8:44 PM
kennel from hell

maxxmisery
June 2nd, 2013, 8:46 PM
anything that Mae Young is/was involved in

The Law
June 2nd, 2013, 9:08 PM
Vince making Trish strip and crawl around the ring barking like a dog really stands out as completely horrific. "Hot Lesbian Action" on Raw in 2002. Shameless exploitation. The Katie Vick segment with Triple H humping a mannequin. The "Dr. Hiney" segment where Vince decided it was a good idea to mock JR's prostate surgery. After he fired him for like the fifth time. Any of the Vince McMahon "Kiss My Ass" Club segments. The Muhammed Hassan/Davari/Undertaker martyr segment.

More broadly, every time I hear about a wrestler dying young I'm disappointed and angry at the environment wrestling has created. The toleration and embrace of steroids and painkillers, the schedule forced on wrestlers by promoters that force them to turn to those drugs, the low wages and lack of insurance and retirement plans. I wish there was a way I could change how wrestling works, but it just doesn't seem possible.

G-Fresh
June 2nd, 2013, 9:14 PM
Ain't nobody puttin a gun to their heads making them wrestle.

BullyRayStoleMyLunch
June 2nd, 2013, 9:31 PM
Change in any form would take wrestlers, from the Cenas to the most obscure Indy guys, to band together and demand it.

But wrestling is such a dog-eat-dog world, that it never will. Somebody will always stooge, grass up any mutiny in the big leagues, to get a better spot. And plenty would forego all the benefits mentioned, if they thought it'd get them a push over someone who did demand these things.

There's a reason there's no Wrestling Union
- though a co-operative endeavour out of neccesity, the gains to be had by acting on individual interests make it highly unlikely that such a group would, or just as importantly, could unite.

G-Fresh
June 2nd, 2013, 9:35 PM
Unions retard progress.

BullyRayStoleMyLunch
June 2nd, 2013, 9:38 PM
Unions retard progress.

In this precise case, they couldn't do much worse...

FaSho34
June 2nd, 2013, 9:43 PM
The Oddities are also up there

G-Fresh
June 2nd, 2013, 9:50 PM
Oddities 4 life

WHOOP WHOOP

VHS
June 2nd, 2013, 10:00 PM
The guest host era was shlock.

mth
June 2nd, 2013, 10:26 PM
There were some gems in there, though, like Barker and The mofuggin' Muppets.

FaSho34
June 2nd, 2013, 10:27 PM
Can't forget some of the silliness with the Hardcore title. Godfathers Ho winning.

G-Fresh
June 2nd, 2013, 10:39 PM
Any woman winning a mans title is embarrassing.

FaSho34
June 2nd, 2013, 10:40 PM
Mighty Molly as well

G-Fresh
June 2nd, 2013, 10:43 PM
Can't forget about how awful the "Hervina" stuff was.

FaSho34
June 2nd, 2013, 10:44 PM
Oh gosh, and the Santina thing at Wrestlemania too

Mills
June 3rd, 2013, 12:39 AM
Hornswaggle and the hole in the wall.

FaSho34
June 3rd, 2013, 12:45 AM
Small People Court

Mills
June 3rd, 2013, 1:22 AM
That was dumb, but I loved the Trial of Eric Bischoff

McBain
June 3rd, 2013, 1:49 AM
Unions retard progress.

If you can call the race to the bottom progress.

G-Fresh
June 3rd, 2013, 1:55 AM
Yup. Look at how well Detroit is doing right now thanks to the UAW.

Rip
June 3rd, 2013, 5:42 AM
Katie Vick, Mae Young, Heidenriech raping Cole, many, many other things.

OD50
June 3rd, 2013, 7:17 AM
I have only watched three matches together with friends in my adult life..

-Mankind/Undertaker KOTR '98
-Goldberg destroying Chavo Guerrero on Nitro
-DX/Savio Vega vs. Steve Austin/Cactus Jack/Terry Funk/Owen Hart - NWO of Texas '98

There's probably been 10,000 segments I would have been embarrassed to watch with anyone but myself.

/Hell.. Shit like Hornswoggle running through a hole in the wall and Aurora Helmsley-McMahon FPS view embarrassed me even being all by myself. :blah:

Dreyski
June 3rd, 2013, 1:18 PM
Vince's Kiss my ass club.
Looking back I wonder how Mr Fuji and Slick would be received nowadays...

Kneeneighbor
June 3rd, 2013, 3:53 PM
MR. Fuji was awesome and still would be awesome today.

Slick would have everyone cringing from the start.

JP
June 3rd, 2013, 4:35 PM
Unions retard progress.

We must have wildly different definitions of progress.

In terms of the thread, I don't really get that embarrassed feeling. Even the bad stuff normally has an element of farce about it to redeem it on some level. The closest I get is when Cena goes all 'comedy' on his promos, but only because it's awful and insulting the viewer's intelligence.

turdpower
June 3rd, 2013, 4:39 PM
Vince making Trish strip and crawl around the ring barking like a dog really stands out as completely horrific.

I remember being about 13 at the time and watching at a mates house and his mum walking in and basically her pretending she hadn't seen anything and us pretending that it was basically OK was it was WWF.

JP
June 3rd, 2013, 4:41 PM
I remember being about 13 at the time and watching at a mates house and his mum walking in and basically her pretending she hadn't seen anything and us pretending that it was basically OK was it was WWF.

Wan't the Trish barking like a dog segment cut from the UK broadcast because Sky thought it crossed a line?

Excel
June 3rd, 2013, 4:42 PM
Hornswaggle and the hole in the wall.

This. and the time Orton could see his dad with blood on his face and we saw through ortona eye. And when undertaker posessed josh Matthews

Chris
June 3rd, 2013, 5:00 PM
JBL assaulting Hornswoggle in his hospital bed remains one of the most uncomfortable scenes ever for me.

All the DX cock jokes during their feud with the McMahons were quite cringeworthy. But I think Al Wilson must be near the top. Smackdown went off the air with him having a heart attack, for goodness sake.

VHS
June 3rd, 2013, 6:44 PM
Also, the Dawn Marie and Al Wilson storyline that would not die. How long did that sucker last before it was finally over? It felt like 10 years.

BullyRayStoleMyLunch
June 3rd, 2013, 6:46 PM
Hornswoggle's Hole In The Wall routine has come up a lot: if we're assuming that Looney Tunes gimmicks = crap, then I nominate the Austin/Vince *Bang* skit.

On the subject of those 2, I will instantly argue anybody who nominates the Angle/Austin hug war with Vince. COMEDY GOLD.

Simmo Fortyone
June 3rd, 2013, 7:20 PM
That was a practical joke playing by Austin on Vince. Not the same.

Peter Griffin
June 3rd, 2013, 7:27 PM
More broadly, every time I hear about a wrestler dying young I'm disappointed and angry at the environment wrestling has created. The toleration and embrace of steroids and painkillers, the schedule forced on wrestlers by promoters that force them to turn to those drugs, the low wages and lack of insurance and retirement plans. I wish there was a way I could change how wrestling works, but it just doesn't seem possible.

Force them to take these drugs? not having that, is Vince stood there with a syringe and a handful of pills? The word forced keeps coming up here, nobody is forcing anybody to do anything.

MikeHunt
June 3rd, 2013, 7:34 PM
you forced me to look at your willy on msn Peter Griffin. i really tried not to look but you forced me.

BullyRayStoleMyLunch
June 3rd, 2013, 7:41 PM
That was a practical joke playing by Austin on Vince. Not the same.

Having a GUN as part of a WRESTLING angle, imo, is always silly, Pillman included.
And as practical jokes go...."I'm going to shoot you, in front of a live audience in their thousands, as well as well as millions at home... LOL JK - But you did pee a bit."

We're told a big part of enjoying wrestling is suspension of disbelief... Your average 6 year old, Santa believing, tooth fairy convert, easter bunny hunting kid could have called BS on that quicker than you can say *Bang*

I'm calling it. The Vince/Austin feud had plenty of great comedy moments at Vince's expense, but to me, this was not one of them.

Peter Griffin
June 3rd, 2013, 7:41 PM
MSN? What is this 2005?

MikeHunt
June 3rd, 2013, 7:48 PM
racist.

mth
June 3rd, 2013, 8:07 PM
Surprised no one's mentioned the Father/Daughter match the Vince and Stephanie had.

The Law
June 3rd, 2013, 8:08 PM
The schedule is so brutal that many, many wrestlers have turned to painkillers to allow themselves to manage it. As for steroids, it's not that Vince forced anyone to do it. It's that they insisted for years on only pushing guys who had mountainous, bodybuilder physiques. Guys who had natural physiques had to work twice as hard to get the same pushes as the musclemen. When a guy like Chris Masters lost muscle mass after presumably going off steroids, they made fun of him on TV and dropped him down the card.

I don't want to make it seem like I'm shifting all of the responsibility to promoters. The wrestlers make their own decisions. But when it seems like every single wrestler who was active in the 1980s and 1990s used steroids, you have to start to question the system that let it happen. Why not impose strict drug testing before Eddie Guerrero died? Or when Vince wasn't on trial with the Feds?

jwstrick
June 4th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Going back a bit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuAKfG9JOns

BullyRayStoleMyLunch
June 4th, 2013, 2:15 PM
I'm in complete agreement with you that the promoters let it happen for as long as it was in their personal interests to do so.

However, the wrestlers are in full knowledge of that too, as well as everything else regarding steroids or painkiller use and misuse these days.

Every walk of life has its own risk or reward situation, whether it be a Banker risking a criminal sentence for the vast rewards insider training could bring, to the Fireman who risk everything, every day, for the simple reward of another's life, we all, to varying extents, face these experiences.

To me, as we stand in 2013: This issue has been documented, whether in print or, more poignantly from those who it will affect, possibly in front of their very eyes.

Every wrestling fan on here today could quote Chapter and Verse on the names we've lost, and why.
Surely, every wrestler should know these risks, and more importantly, make an individual decision as to whether the rewards merit the stake, if you will.

For those affected already by it - Though Vince himself has said the reasons behind it were purely for public relations, for those that hit that level at least, there are rehabs and health schemes in place for those affected.

Whether Vince set that up out of need or want is a moot point. For that level, the promoter is coming to the dance, so to speak.

Problem is, it takes two to tango...