PDA

View Full Version : Emulators

Dreyski
May 27th, 2013, 7:24 PM
Which do you use (if any)? I've never been in a position to be able to keep old consoles, (although my PS2 is sitting somewhere in a cupboard). For the old Spectrum I use ZXspin, SNES9x for the Super Nintendo, and Project64 for the N64. Used to have Amiga Forever on my old laptop, never got round to re-installing it though.
I think the most notciable difference is the pace of the games. Now it's pretty much impossible to have a game you can complete in 30 minutes tops, but I also think old games were much harder, much less forgiving. How many 8/16 bit games do you remember completing?

Kneeneighbor
May 27th, 2013, 7:26 PM
I laugh at this because your "old ps2" is the newest thing I have. I still have a NES, SNES N64 and PS hooked up in the basement.

The Doc
May 27th, 2013, 7:35 PM
I've completed scores of 8/16 bit games. Some of them were harder, mostly we just sucked when we were younger. The ones that WERE harder for the most part were harder because they were bullshit and had they been playtested by people who weren't flawless gods or originally designed for the arcade and thus meant to have some stupid thing you can't beat they aren't that much harder despite how much people want to believe they were.

I don't use emulators for the most part. The last one I had screwed up my computer pretty bad and besides the only system I don't have left is my Atari 2600 and N64, one got hit by a car after an earthquake and nobody checked before backing out of the garage the other was stolen.

William
May 27th, 2013, 8:25 PM
These are the emulators I personally use:

NES - FCE Ultra and Nestopia (I alternate at times depending on the game).
SNES - zSNES.
Gameboy/Color/Advance - VisualBoyAdvance.
N64 - Project64.
Dreamcast - Chankast and nullDC (Also switch between the two).
Playstation - ePSXe.
Playstation 2 - PCSX2.
Nintendo DS - No$GBA (I use No$Zoomer alongside it to make the screen bigger though).
PSP - Jpcsp.
Gamecube/Wii - Dolphin.
Android - Bluestacks.

I do actually own a good deal of these systems, but I find it much better to game using emulators due to save states, throttling certain games, and not having save games corrupt when playing certain older consoles. As far as 8/16-bit games go, I've completed the majority of them aside from the handheld ones. There are some games I will never complete though considering I hate them - IE: Drakkhen, for example.

mr sabu
May 27th, 2013, 8:43 PM
alot of games i get for no$gba don'r work :(

The Rick
May 27th, 2013, 8:52 PM
I'm not using many emulators at the moment. Just the gba and snes emulators on my phone. I had the Dark Alex jail break on my PSP forever, then I just dumped it. NES titles ran fin, but the SNES and Genesis games ran like shit on it. I actually like the retro consoles that have come out better. Yes there are game pads for pc, but nothing beats the NES, SNES, and even Genesis controllers in your hand. The d-pad is.just superior on those controllers. And I like having a library of physical games. I'll try to hold onto them as long as I can.

Mark Hammer
May 27th, 2013, 10:23 PM
ZSNES is the best SNES emulator, imo.

Kyle_242
May 28th, 2013, 12:52 AM
This topic is nothing without MAME.

William
May 28th, 2013, 8:31 AM
This topic is nothing without MAME.

I could never get MAME working properly for me.

JP
May 28th, 2013, 9:13 AM
The newest edition of MAME is so simple to use as compared to the older builds I'd give it another go mate, genuinely could not be easier now.

My PS2 emulator runs so well it annoys the stuffing out of me that I can't get Dolphin to run better for the Gamecube. Frustrating as hell.

Mark Hammer
May 28th, 2013, 9:17 AM
I could never get a PS2 or Gamecube emulator to work worth a damn.

stylepoints
May 28th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Snes - zSnes
Genesis/CD/32x - gens surreal. (My favorite emulator)
NES - Depends on the game
PSX - epsxe
GB/GBA -Visual boy advance

Android - NESDroid, SNESDroid, GENSPLUSDroid, epsxe

I wouldn't waste my time with anything else. Surprised a better emulator hasn't come out for NES in all this time.