PDA

View Full Version : Europa League winners to get a Champions League place

Simon
May 23rd, 2013, 11:33 AM
Apparently UEFA are going to announce this tomorrow. Massive step in the right direction if true.

Ringo
May 23rd, 2013, 11:38 AM
PAH. Right after we win it...

But that would be great. Just what is needed.

Simon
May 23rd, 2013, 11:41 AM
What you PAHING about you got in the CL anyway. I wonder who will get the extra spot in the likely event that the winners end up qualifying for the CL through league position anyway. Losers in the final? Next team down in the league?

Bad Collin
May 23rd, 2013, 12:09 PM
The FA cup winners should get one too I think.

Peter Griffin
May 23rd, 2013, 12:23 PM
Just bring back the cup winners cup :shifty:

El Capitano Gatisto
May 23rd, 2013, 1:20 PM
It's a good idea. They also have some bad ideas on there, talking about giving a 5th CL spot to the big leagues and somehow giving more Europa spots to various leagues. I think they should abolish the teams dropping down from the CL to the Europa after the groups, it's a farce really.

Andy
May 23rd, 2013, 1:54 PM
I think they should abolish the teams dropping down from the CL to the Europa after the groups, it's a farce really.

Definitely. That's worse than the winners not getting a CL place IMO.

turdpower
May 23rd, 2013, 3:47 PM
So if the winners have already qualified (like this season), what happens to that place? Would Benfica get it? And as a good example, Benfica already have a place - so who would get it then? 5th place in England? Another random nation getting an automatic place?

MTR
May 23rd, 2013, 4:12 PM
It's a good idea. They also have some bad ideas on there, talking about giving a 5th CL spot to the big leagues and somehow giving more Europa spots to various leagues. I think they should abolish the teams dropping down from the CL to the Europa after the groups, it's a farce really.

Yeah I have never understood why teams from CL drop down like that. Get rid of that.

I like the idea of the winner get a spot in CL.

MTR
May 23rd, 2013, 4:14 PM
So if the winners have already qualified (like this season), what happens to that place? Would Benfica get it? And as a good example, Benfica already have a place - so who would get it then? 5th place in England? Another random nation getting an automatic place?

From what I read they probably wouldn't give the runner up the spot but they didn't really say what they would do though since it would be unlikely for them to give a country like England another slot in the CL. I would like to see what they would propose for this situation and others.

MMH
May 23rd, 2013, 4:53 PM
The FA cup winners should get one too I think.

Isnt that up to the national organization to arrange rather than UEFA itself?

It may not be, I just always assumed it was.

turdpower
May 23rd, 2013, 5:26 PM
I imagine its not. Purely because no nation has a cup winner being given a place, does it?

Andy
May 23rd, 2013, 5:41 PM
Not really the same but don't Holland have a play-off?

turdpower
May 24th, 2013, 2:59 AM
Bring back the Cup Winners Cup.

Fanny
May 24th, 2013, 3:24 AM
Isnt that up to the national organization to arrange rather than UEFA itself?

It may not be, I just always assumed it was.

I imagine its not. Purely because no nation has a cup winner being given a place, does it?

It's up to the FA to enter the number of teams it has been allocated CL spots for. They could enter anyone they like, technically.

Bad Collin
May 24th, 2013, 3:52 AM
I think it is up to the FA. They will never make that decision though just in case a small team comes in and shockingly wins the cup. Arsenal are better for the champions league than Wigan sadly.

Peter Griffin
May 24th, 2013, 6:02 AM
Bring back the Cup Winners Cup.

:squint: