PDA

View Full Version : Rajah forum impact on wrestling

MOSHanTHRASHER
May 17th, 2013, 7:43 PM
Reading Dave Meltzer column and thread it has made me curious on what level of notoriety does Rajah.com forum have within the wrestling community, as he specifically acknowledged a post by Chewsh. I know there are a few other forums out there that have been around forever TPWW and Wrestlecrap come to mind while the F4 has a good board, however, that one is under the lock and key of being a paid subscriber to make a big enough splash on all of the wrestling community.

I know there really isn't any way to actually measure the level of recognition rajah forum could have but I have heard of wrestlers either posting here under alias or speaking on a subject touched on the forum. Where does Rajah forum and its' community rank in terms of wrestling forums and their impacting nature on the business.

I've been what most call a lurker for close to half of my life time as I have always been insecure in my writing ability, as I have erased many of my posts after written out completely. I believe there are many, many more out there that have had a similar experience that I have had in the past but they fell out of favor with the site after one of the more well known contributors shut them down or called them out for something.

We are in that perfect time frame when the young kids who were could have been reading the forum while young are in wrestling schools learning the trade
and it is possible the next big star got his first smark taste right here. Is there any chance a community like this could be looked upon as such an important aspect to the business as Dave was back in the 80's?

Mills
May 17th, 2013, 7:46 PM
Um no.

Judas Iscariot
May 17th, 2013, 7:49 PM
Yes.

forums.rajah.com is a preeminent presence in the online wrestling community.

None other than Ryback used this very forum as a springboard for his career.

Ever see a TPWW sign at live events? No. Because TPWW appeals only to ingrates and inbred animals.

Rajah signs, however, have been seen everywhere.

G-Fresh
May 17th, 2013, 7:50 PM
Yup. I remember seeing Rajah signs on Raw all the time.

Mills
May 17th, 2013, 7:59 PM
Yeah, I was somewhat kidding. The Meltzler thing isn't just Cewsh, but many others claiming the news piece that he's all pissy about.

However, there's been many a rajah signs at live events, including Taker sons Cewsh reviews signs at TNA shows

Judas Iscariot
May 17th, 2013, 8:43 PM
Yeah, I was somewhat kidding. The Meltzler thing isn't just Cewsh, but many others claiming the news piece that he's all pissy about.

However, there's been many a rajah signs at live events, including Taker sons Cewsh reviews signs at TNA shows

What's the pissy news piece?

Mills
May 17th, 2013, 8:49 PM
Meltzer is pissy because people are claiming he sourced a rumor that Rock left Raw for reasons other than he was hurt.

Cewsh
May 17th, 2013, 9:12 PM
To be clear, Meltzer was actually responding to Thomas Holzerman, the guy who runs The Wrestling Blog, which is in the same network of bloggers that Cewsh Reviews also belongs to. So while I was talking about it, and he might even have seen it, I doubt it was the forums that he saw.

However, it's worth mentioning that I've heard from a HUGE number of people that they either read the Rajah main page now or used to. Including both wrestlers I've interviewed (Chris Masters and former ROH Champion Xavier) and every other major blogger I'm friendly with. The main page is seriously considered to be a big deal. I don't hear people talking about the forums much, though. I don't think there's ever been a really strong, healthy connection between the main page and the forums before recently.

Kimura Kid
May 17th, 2013, 9:47 PM
I was looking for the premier Wrestling news site/forum and this is the place I settled on. Rajah was like the 3rd site listed on Google if you put in "WWE News"

I would assume it has a pretty big influence in the IWC

One Man Gang
May 17th, 2013, 10:51 PM
Apparently the Rajah forums rank very high amongst U.K. and Illinois search engines.

Mr_Nobody
May 17th, 2013, 11:06 PM
You speak of Ryback being on the forums, but he wasn't the only one from WWE Developmental (at the time) that came here. I know a few other guys around Deep South Wrestling would visit this site and 1 or 2 were even on the forums. A couple are on the main roster now.

Mills
May 17th, 2013, 11:29 PM
Ryback was on here when he was tryign to garner votes for tough enough, he hadnt even made the roster yet. Who else was on here?

mth
May 18th, 2013, 12:09 AM
Ooooh. If you're not gonna tell us, let the rampant speculation begin! I'm going to guess Brodus Clay and The Great Khali.

Mills
May 18th, 2013, 12:26 AM
Deep south guys? Wasn't that like Mike Knox, Erik Escobar guys like that? It was probably the Miz

mth
May 18th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Pretty sure both guys I mentioned passed through DSW at some point. Brodus when he was G-Rilla and I'm almost certain Nobody's talked about Khali being there when he was involved.

Andy
May 18th, 2013, 7:00 AM
However, it's worth mentioning that I've heard from a HUGE number of people that they either read the Rajah main page now or used to. Including both wrestlers I've interviewed (Chris Masters and former ROH Champion Xavier) and every other major blogger I'm friendly with. The main page is seriously considered to be a big deal. I don't hear people talking about the forums much, though. I don't think there's ever been a really strong, healthy connection between the main page and the forums before recently.

This is an absolute joke if it's true. No offence to you, as I've said before I enjoy the columns and sometimes I check SD results but apart from that the main page is shocking.

In fact, if it is a big deal, that should be motivation enough to sack all the idiots who write the news pieces and get some people in to do it properly. No speculation and bollocks with no sources. Any news that is reported should be factual and any speculation should be attributed to the original source/person who made it up.

JP
May 18th, 2013, 7:12 AM
This is an absolute joke if it's true. No offence to you, as I've said before I enjoy the columns and sometimes I check SD results but apart from that the main page is shocking.

In fact, if it is a big deal, that should be motivation enough to sack all the idiots who write the news pieces and get some people in to do it properly. No speculation and bollocks with no sources. Any news that is reported should be factual and any speculation should be attributed to the original source/person who made it up.

Quoted for motherlovin truth.

Funboy
May 18th, 2013, 9:43 AM
Back in the pre-internet days, there was a thing called teletext; the wrestling rumours posted on it were attributed to Neo(?) and rajahwwf.com.
That's how I started coming here.
I am a creature of habit, and so check here, one other site and then the forums. But despite joining them years ago, I still mostly float/lurk.
I remember ryan reeves ("the silverback") asking for TE votes; and there was an issue about posting videos a while back (so wwe must pay some attention?)

G-Fresh
May 18th, 2013, 1:05 PM

Word is bond shun.

Cewsh
May 18th, 2013, 1:34 PM

Well mostly the main page is a big deal because it's been an institution ever since wrestling had a presence on the internet at all. So people have been loyally checking it every day for some 15 years by now. And while I do inherently agree with your outrage at how the news in handled, people do like the news in that way, unfortunately.

But regardless, it is probably one of the 10 biggest wrestling news websites.

Andy
May 18th, 2013, 1:48 PM
They're all shite in my experience though. I mean at least this one doesn't have totally ridiculous headlines like "Terri Runnells totally nude click here omg and the latest on Daniel Bryan being FIRED" like I've seen in other places. Obviously trying to just get as many clicks as possible I know but still.

If there really is a huge loyal following and people checking out of habit, making it better would be better for everyone. I can't imagine what sort of people would rather read made up and baseless speculation/lies than logical reports with proper sources attributed to them.

I understand the hunger for news and I have that too, that's why it's such a frustration for me that it just doesn't seem to be available without having to dig through loads of other shit first to find something even remotely true or interesting.

Cewsh
May 18th, 2013, 1:53 PM
Agreed, but the segment of the fan population that likes their news this way is comparable to the segment of the population that reads People Magazine compared to the segment that reads Time Magazine. Sad, but true.

Andy
May 18th, 2013, 2:06 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure I agree with that comparison. I don't want some upmarket broadsheet newspaper type news site with endless essays and debates everywhere; there's definitely a middle ground that I think the majority would prefer.

Cewsh
May 18th, 2013, 2:10 PM
But much like in other forms of journalism, there's a serious struggle to find a middle ground between exploitative gossiping and dry facts and debate. It requires skilled and dedicated reporters, and since nobody gets paid to do this, those are pretty much non existent.

Kyle_242
May 18th, 2013, 3:59 PM
Not to mention that it's extremely difficult to find an actual FACT out there. Much less one that doesn't come from a disgruntled or dismissed member of some roster.

Most people seem happy enough to take rumors as truth, anyway.

G-Fresh
May 18th, 2013, 4:01 PM
I still miss Rajahs old write ups.

Slare
May 18th, 2013, 7:22 PM
The fact that we have this main page with a fair bit of pull in the Wrestling world - long with a forum with so many talented and smart people - and the thing is dominted by the single worst muck raking wrestling 'journalist' in the world is a travesty. Believe me, the main page is regarded as an utter copy/paste joke on F4W and Wrestling Observer sites.