PDA

View Full Version : Late Night with Seth Meyers

Ochoa
May 12th, 2013, 5:41 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/42/5.3.10SethMeyersByDavid-Shankbone.jpg/200px-5.3.10SethMeyersByDavid-Shankbone.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2013/05/12/seth-meyers-nbc-talk-show/2153735/ (http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2013/05/12/seth-meyers-nbc-talk-show/2153735/)

So it's official. Seth Meyers is taking over for Late Night once Fallon takes over the Tonight Show. I applaud this move. I think he will do well. I wonder now who takes over Weekend Update. Discuss.

Brian M.
May 12th, 2013, 11:00 PM
I like this because Weekend Update is the only consistently funny part of SNL these days, so I think he will do a good job in a similar type of gig such as this. Also it means he will no longer be writing the sketches for SNL which seems like good news as well.

Fro
May 12th, 2013, 11:07 PM
I too think he's a good choice, but I wonder how much this will hurt SNL. Unlike the Fallon appointment this time Lorne is actively taking a star off of one platform to push him onto another. There's no obvious weekend update replacement. Maybe Jason Sudeikis.

G-Fresh
May 12th, 2013, 11:31 PM
SNL can't get much worse.

Dream-Evil
May 13th, 2013, 4:30 AM
Sudekis is leaving soon isn't he?

Beer-Belly
May 13th, 2013, 7:18 AM
I believe Sudeikis is on his way out.

The new Update anchor will probably be Taran Killam because he's pretty much the definition of a non-threatening vanilla white guy.

Brian M.
May 13th, 2013, 6:46 PM
Taran Killam is also fucking hilarious and under-utilized on that show so I hope it is him.

I think Meyers does a great job on the Update desk but the live sketches this year have been downright bad most of the time. I'm ready for a new voice to be heard on that show.

Ochoa
May 13th, 2013, 6:58 PM
Killam or Pharoah would be my guess.

Fro
May 13th, 2013, 8:38 PM
Taran Killam is also fucking hilarious and under-utilized on that show so I hope it is him.

I think Meyers does a great job on the Update desk but the live sketches this year have been downright bad most of the time. I'm ready for a new voice to be heard on that show.

I think the sketches have been okay. I definitely wouldn't call this season (or the last few years) a high point of the show but I also don't think it's been much worse than the norm. I tend to agree with those who say that everyone looks back on past seasons fondly as they watch the highlights and shit on the current incarnation because they see the good and the bad, and there's always been a lot of bad sketches even in the glory years (whenever you consider that to be).

Anyway I could agree that Meyers has been there long enough that it's time for him to move on, but I don't know if removing him will have the impact you want it to. There's like 20 writers including a co-head writer with Meyers, and it's Lorne's show more than anyone's, and the cast plays such a big role in what sketches they can or can't pull off. Meyers is head writer for a reason (for example Fey credited him with writing the Sarah Palin sketches). Maybe it'll be a nice change of pace but I think more likely it'll be a step backwards at least in the short term.

Killam or Pharoah would be my guess.

Killam could be the one who gets it although I'm totally not sold that he would be a good fit. Pharoah, nah, he hasn't really established himself beyond an impressionist. I think his comedic timing is a little off and even though I do like him, he hasn't quite lived up to expectations as Obama or otherwise.

Pipkin
May 14th, 2013, 12:43 AM
I think the sketches have been okay. I definitely wouldn't call this season (or the last few years) a high point of the show but I also don't think it's been much worse than the norm. I tend to agree with those who say that everyone looks back on past seasons fondly as they watch the highlights and shit on the current incarnation because they see the good and the bad, and there's always been a lot of bad sketches even in the glory years (whenever you consider that to be).

Anyway I could agree that Meyers has been there long enough that it's time for him to move on, but I don't know if removing him will have the impact you want it to. There's like 20 writers including a co-head writer with Meyers, and it's Lorne's show more than anyone's, and the cast plays such a big role in what sketches they can or can't pull off. Meyers is head writer for a reason (for example Fey credited him with writing the Sarah Palin sketches). Maybe it'll be a nice change of pace but I think more likely it'll be a step backwards at least in the short term.

Killam could be the one who gets it although I'm totally not sold that he would be a good fit. Pharoah, nah, he hasn't really established himself beyond an impressionist. I think his comedic timing is a little off and even though I do like him, he hasn't quite lived up to expectations as Obama or otherwise.

I agree with all of this 100%.

I don't really know who I'd like to see take over Weekend Update. I think Kenan could probably do a good job, but I feel like he's been on the show so long already he might not stick around for too much longer. He also does good "guest" spots at the Update desk once in a while that I'd hate to lose. Of the current cast, I think I might prefer Vanessa Bayer. She seems versatile enough to me to pull it off, perhaps unspectacularly, but consistently.

Ochoa
May 14th, 2013, 7:12 AM
I have the feeling they'll go back to a two person team. I like that girl Cecily Strong. Maybe not for Update because that party girl character I like, but anywhere on the show is fine with me.

Fro
May 14th, 2013, 8:55 AM
The girl at a party you wish you hadn't started a conversation with is great.

Atty
May 14th, 2013, 9:10 AM
I don't mean this to be against Fallon, but Myers would be amazing as Tonight Show host. He's perfect for it. His bit at the White House Correspondent's Dinner a couple years back sold me for life. Not just for the quality he was delivering, but for that part were he throws a joke at Trump, sees Trump frown and scowl at him with no sense of humor, so Seth just starts mauling him with joke after joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YGITlxfT6s

As a note, this was going on as Bin Laden was being killed.

Fro
May 14th, 2013, 9:22 AM
Meyers killed at the White House correspondents dinner, while Conan was pretty poor this year, but there's a lot more that goes into a talk show. Like Fallon and Conan I expect late night with Seth Meyers to start off pretty shaky and gradually get better as he gets comfortable with the format. To say he would be a perfect Tonight Show host when he's never done the format before is a huge leap. To even expect Meyers' late night show to be as good as Fallon's version is a tall order.

VanillaJello
May 14th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Well, it won't be Bill Hader replacing Meyers on Weekend Update.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/arts/television/bill-hader-to-leave-saturday-night-live.html?_r=1&

Fro
May 14th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Thank god lol. I don't mind Hader but I'm glad he's moving on. I think he's pretty much run his course on SNL.

I'm still hoping that Sudeikis will return though.

Beer-Belly
May 14th, 2013, 5:07 PM
Well, it won't be Bill Hader replacing Meyers on Weekend Update.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/arts/television/bill-hader-to-leave-saturday-night-live.html?_r=1&

Well, I'm done with SNL.

Judas Iscariot
May 14th, 2013, 5:10 PM
No more Stefon = Cancel SNL right now

Beer-Belly
May 14th, 2013, 5:13 PM
Yep.

Hader and Sudeikis were the only things keeping me around. With them heading off to greener pastures, I've got no reason to stick around.

Ochoa
May 14th, 2013, 6:07 PM
Hader is leaving? Dang. Well I guess it's time. I will miss Stefon and his James Carville.

Beer-Belly
May 17th, 2013, 5:25 PM
Apparently Jason Sudeikis and Fred Armisen are leaving SNL too.

Ochoa
May 17th, 2013, 6:15 PM
Where do you see that?

Atty
May 17th, 2013, 6:21 PM
To say he would be a perfect Tonight Show host when he's never done the format before is a huge leap.
Don't recall saying that.

Beer-Belly
May 17th, 2013, 6:33 PM
Where do you see that?

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/05/16/fred-armisen-jason-sudeikis-snl/

Ochoa
May 17th, 2013, 6:44 PM
Well I'll be damned. Certainly a rebuilding year if true. Didn't know Seth was staying for half a season. They should have him do Update with someone until he leaves.