PDA

View Full Version : Gravity

VanillaJello
May 10th, 2013, 1:01 AM
Clooney and Bullock.

Directed by Alfonso Cuarón (Children of Men)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgGPTa7-vlE

VHS
May 10th, 2013, 1:12 AM
Yes! I saw this earlier today and it absolutely terrified me. I hope this is awesome.

Mik
May 10th, 2013, 5:08 AM
Its Alfonso Cuaron...I'm sure that it will be.

Apparently it opens with an unbroken 17 minute single take shot. Could be mega.

Mik
August 28th, 2013, 5:28 PM
First reviews are out and apparently it is VERY good.

Alf
August 28th, 2013, 5:44 PM
I'm hyped for this one. The scene they released a few weeks agon was mental.

The_Mike
August 28th, 2013, 5:47 PM
I was hoping this would be something pretty special. Looking forward to it.

Beer-Belly
September 4th, 2013, 8:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiTiKOy59o4

Stoked to see this in IMAX.

mth
September 4th, 2013, 8:43 PM
Saw the trailer before Man of Steel, I believe it was, and thought it looked very promising. Now I watched the trailer BB just posted and...holy shit, yes. Sign me up.

Fro
September 4th, 2013, 9:40 PM
The trailer in OP is great. I'm assuming they float off and we get an Open Water type flick where they are just by themselves in space waiting to die..

Atty
September 4th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Is this in 3D? From that trailer, it's the first thing in ages (since Avatar) that I've actually wanted to see in 3D.

Beer-Belly
September 5th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Yeah. Even James Cameron is doing cumsies in his pants over the 3D.

Jimmy Zero
September 5th, 2013, 12:21 AM
This looks really awesome. I'm really stoked for this one.

Simmo Fortyone
October 4th, 2013, 2:51 AM
Saw this last night. Bloody amazing movie.

The effects and cinematography were incredible. I've avoided 3D movies since I saw Clash of the Titans, but I'm itching to get out and see this in 3D, or even IMAX if I can. Bullock was brilliant, although Clooney was a bit of a caricature of himself.

I do like how short it is (90min). The tension was turned up to 11 for most of the movie and I think any longer would have just worn it out.

I loved the scene where
Clooney "returns" and starts babbling on as if nothing was wrong. I expected a sense of "oh here we go he saves the day" but instead there was a sense of "whaaaaaaaa something ain't right here" and sure enough, it wasn't. Really well done, that part.

The Time website (http://science.time.com/2013/10/01/what-gravity-gets-right-and-wrong-about-space/) has an article about what they got right and wrong about space stuff, but even the author himself said it's pretty nitpicky and everything can be overlooked because of how good the movie is.

Fro
October 6th, 2013, 3:22 PM
Seeing this in IMAX 3D tomorrow. :hyper:

virms
October 6th, 2013, 3:24 PM
Me too. Maybe even tonight

Mik
October 6th, 2013, 3:32 PM
Wish it was fucking out over here.

Hobbit
October 7th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Looks alright innit

Fro
October 7th, 2013, 9:36 PM
Visually STUNNING film. I highly recommend seeing it in 3D, it was absolutely perfect for it. The best use of 3D I've ever seen. It's an absolute lock for the best visal effects Oscar, in my opinion.

I kinda wish Clooney's character was played by someone else though, he was a little too Clooney for me.

similar to what Simmo said, when Clooney came back and opened the door I was like welp Bullock's dead, that sucks. WHAT SHES ALIVE?! Glad that turned out to be her imagination. (although I could be wrong about her not being able to survive that since my knowledge of space is almost solely based on other movies).

virms
October 8th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Saw this last night and loved it.

For starters IMAX 3D is just insane and amazing. Granted this movie seemed made perfectly for it but I found myself flinching from time to time when shrapnel came flying. The woman, who had never even seen a 3d movie, was constantly jerking in and out of her seat.

Overall it was visually brilliant. If you suspend your belief here and there this movie is just absolutely lovely. Loved the scene where Clooney came back and figured she was either dead or imagining things due to the vacuum not killing her. It was a nice little moment that was set up nicely during the beginning of the movie with Clooney rambling on with his stories. Definitely helped make the scene more believable.

If I could change one small thing in the movie I would have had Clooney float off into the sunset when he detached himself from bullock. That along with his little speech about setting the spacewalk record and the old time country music would have been a brillant image.

VHS
October 8th, 2013, 1:27 PM
This is the best 3D experience I've ever had, and hands down this is one of my favorite films of 2013. Stunning, stunning, stunning.

Alfonso does things with the cinematography that are downright astonishing, and I guarantee you will be in awe just with the opening shot.

10/10

Ending:
The symbolism of having them swim onto the beach, crawl onto the shore, and then walk away was kind of cool. Evolution has been kind to us.

Fro
October 8th, 2013, 1:51 PM
There was another piece of symbolism I loved, I think it was right after she finally made it into the first station and she was exhausted and was just floating in this spherical room with her eyes closed, resting , and there were ropes floating too, and it looked just like a baby in a womb with the rope as the ambilical cord

Bill Casey
October 8th, 2013, 6:03 PM
One of the most ironic film titles of all time...

LOCONUT
October 8th, 2013, 6:05 PM
Seeing this tonight.

LOCONUT
October 9th, 2013, 12:46 PM
This is about an hour of absolute gorgeousness followed by 20 minutes of pure crap.

Canuck
November 9th, 2013, 7:14 AM
Saw this in 2D last night. It was good, agree with GBF, but maybe not to the extent of it being pure crap. Just not on par with the first hour.

There are a few small things that bugged me

The fact that none of the docks were getting smashed by the satellites until she conveniently reached them. The probably would have all been taken out in the first wave according to their 90 minute calculations.

And the fact that the ropes were too loose to hold Matt and Ryan, but strong enough to hold the whole ship?

Minor things I know, but just on my mind. Would have much preferred 3D after seeing it, but oh well.

Jimmy Zero
November 9th, 2013, 11:03 AM
I saw this the other night and thought it was stupid. Visually, it looked great, but other than that I was bored out of my mind.

Mik
November 10th, 2013, 6:28 PM
I saw it tonight and thought that it was magnificent.

Clive Plasma
December 19th, 2013, 6:38 AM
Watched this last night and thought it was absolutely incredible. Definitely deserves all the praise it has been getting.

Mik
December 22nd, 2013, 6:00 PM
I agree, its a shame that it seems to be getting passed off as a 'Technical masterpiece', while 12 Years a Slave is getting just 'Masterpiece' as a way of illustrating why most of the awards are likely to go to the latter. Its the typical awards narrative really, have to put one film down to elevate the other. I havent seen 1 Years a Slave, but if its a masterpiece of modern cinema, then that makes two of them this year as far as I'm concerned.

Bad Collin
January 12th, 2014, 7:20 AM
I saw this last night and loved it. As others have said it was stunning and the 3D is incredible.

My one problem with the film was the usual Hollywood cliches; the main character escaping just as stations blow up etc.

it was obvious that she would survive so I didn't feel any sense of peril really.

It was brilliantly acted though.

I kept thinking about the wider results of the space debris. I cared less about one woman when mankind's ability to travel to and study space has been wiped out in an instant.

9/10