PDA

View Full Version : I think I like you...

The Rogerer
May 7th, 2013, 4:43 PM
Is there anyone you think you like, even if you don't know why, and maybe you actually don't like them? I would expand this to people you want to like but hate, but that's probably a lot easier to come up with.

My example would be Chris Jericho

I remember being delighted when he won the Undisputed Championship, and even had this in my signature for a long time afterwards:

http://members.multimania.co.uk/jomaaar/miscpics/undisputed.jpg

When I played wrestling games, I would always go to pick Jericho as my character, and it's a practice that I still keep up today. Seeing him recently, I had to admit to myself that I thought I liked him, but the criticisms I'd apply to him now actually apply through most of his career.

Sloppy - While far from a disaster, the WWE style is very much based around textbook execution and it's fairly easy to find something that really doesn't look right in any Jericho match. While I'm on it, what on earth was the finish to his WM match with Fandango?
Story telling - Maybe he's not a great seller, or maybe I just don't get him. He's certainly not lazy, but doesn't often build of a convincing story in the ring. He will go all out selling, and next thing will suddenly start ignoring punches. This could be another case of him not working within the WWE style quite right
Idiotic Promos - Again, he's good on the microphone, but was always so busy wisecracking that you never really bought that he cared. I have to admit I actually like his namecalling against Fandango, mostly because he's going so ridiculous and acting under half his age that I can enjoy it.
I don't even really like Fozzy. I had one of their albums, the first or second, and it was okay.
Stupid WWF version of the Walls of Jericho - At least he's stopped this now, but this was so frustrating to watch back in the day.

While it's just a random list, and it sounds like I'm tearing him apart, it's trying to figure out what it is that makes me think I really like him. I actually don't enjoy his matches, or his character very much in general, and yet my head keeps telling me he's one of my favourite wrestlers. I didn't get to see him live until 2009, and my take away from the night was that I finally got to see Jericho live.

Is there anyone else you like, and yet don't, or do you want to put me out of my misery and explain what this is about?

Ochoa
May 7th, 2013, 4:58 PM
So are you just talking about Jericho of today? Because I thought his promos when he started wearing suits were top notch.

The Rogerer
May 7th, 2013, 5:04 PM
I would have missed that era, but then that makes sense to my point as they probably are pretty good and yet I didn't see them, plus they wouldn't explain my early like of Jericho. It's about the conflicted relationship, I suppose.

Atty
May 7th, 2013, 5:36 PM
Mine would be Great Khali. Should hate the guy, but he's always amused me. Even before they tried to make him funny, he was funny.

Andy
May 7th, 2013, 5:38 PM
I love Heath Slater and The Bellas.

Atty
May 7th, 2013, 5:53 PM
The Bellas are amazing.

Simmo Fortyone
May 7th, 2013, 6:49 PM
John Cena. I want to hate the overbooked Supercena, but he's just so damn likable.

Atty
May 7th, 2013, 6:54 PM
I'm the complete opposite there. I want to like him—I've tried to like him—but he's just a fucktard.

Seems like it would be more enjoyable to like him, but then he'll do a corny joke and I'll want to roshambo him.

Ochoa
May 7th, 2013, 7:24 PM
It may be Punk for me. Good wrestler and on the mic. I like all of that, but something about him turns me off for some reason. I don't know what it is.

RuneEdge
May 7th, 2013, 7:46 PM
For me its Cena, easily. So many things bad about him but its the thought that Cena also knows this and loves fucking with the marks that makes me like him. The greatest troll the industry has ever seen.

Kdestiny
May 7th, 2013, 7:53 PM
For me its Cena, easily. So many things bad about him but its the thought that Cena also knows this and loves fucking with the marks that makes me like him. The greatest troll the industry has ever seen.

Fact

the_man_diva
May 8th, 2013, 12:11 PM
This sounds like a fun discussion.

I guess I'd have to say Kane. I've liked Kane since the first moment I started watching wrestling, which was right after his epic WrestleMania 14 clash with The Undertaker. He just always fascinated me ... then they went and butchered his character, unmasked him, had him basically rape Lita, showed him crying and howling in the hospital, and now he wears that awful ring attire ... I find him still amusing today, and have remained a true fan in spite of all the shit they've piled onto his character (and the fact that he looked hella blown up and winded in his match against Orton at WrestleMania 28). I think credit should go to Glenn Jacobs for just trying to make the best out of a shitty character or storyline.

On the Diva-side, I really didn't mind Kelly Kelly ... but there's one broad who gets a lot of hate that I just feel bad for, Rosa Mendes. I mean, she's a very pretty girl, she can act and talk on the mic, and she can actually bump in the ring ... she's just not a wrestler. She can't lead a match and I think it's ludicrous we expect her to when she's no better than a Stacy Keibler or Torrie Wilson to be frank. She gets a lot of hate and I find myself always scratching my head, wondering how the fuck she's stayed employed for so long ... but I don't loooooathe her like I do other women on the roster. She seems like a genuinely nice person.

Conversely ... everyone loved Gregory Helms/The Hurricane. I really wasn't a fan. Nothing personal against him in the slightest, I just never connected with what he was doing on TV. Great wrestler, really good on the mic, very confident and self-assured ... I also wanted to like Shelton Benjamin too, but just couldn't really get into his stuff on TV.

Again, on the Diva side of things, everyone loved Sunny. I couldn't stand her. Not because I was a Sable fan either and not because she was a "great heel," just something about her made me not like her ... then when shoot interviews became popular, I found out why ...

takerson
May 8th, 2013, 12:34 PM

That.

I want to hate the man, but can't help liking him.

DaSaintFan
May 9th, 2013, 4:36 AM

I was going to go with Sin Cara, but I figure I'm going to pick someone the majority of Rajah seem to rag on all the time...(and probably one of my all-time favorite characters of the WWE (And WCW))

WELL ITS THE BIG SHOW...

I've been a fan of Mr. Wight's ever since his days in WCW as "The Giant". For a man his size, he can do some INCREDIBLE things in the ring, (or at least could, before age and injuries started catching up with him).

But show doesn't get the credit he deserves for being able to do face _or_ heel. Whether Show's a comedic fan-favorite face (his routine before joining with Johnny "People Power" Laurinitis was priceless, his time when he dressed up as Hulk Hogan.... His fued with the Guerreros). He could play it for the laughs, or he could be the monster heel (see with Sheamus, John Cena, Batista, Taker, etc.).

If he's supposed to be the naive dupe and get suckered in (again, the Guerreror fued(s) or Del Rio.), He's a man you can count on to make his opponent look GREAT when he needs to look great. Show is the guy that gets it, and doesn't seem to have issues when he's supposed to put someone over. If you want to ask about someone that Show has helped make... I've got two words for you... BBBBRRROCK LESNAR!!! Show helped MAKE Lesnar the upper-card roster member he is. (and you could argue Daniel Bryan and probably a few others that Show helped put over at the right time to give them that much needed boost to the moon.

As for his negatives: If there's anyone who's had as many booking issues as Kane did, it would be Big Show, not to mention, as said, I never expect Show to win a feud... but that I guess isn't his job anymore... don't ever expect to see any 4* matches from Show in terms of workrate. But he doesn't have to be bouncy around the ring to get a story across, although I'd love to see him pull out a dropkick one of these days again... (and of course, I'd LOVE to see one last Show Moonsault).

On the Diva side: It's kinda hard for me to say, as I know a lot of people are Natalya fans, so i can't say that "I like her and others don't"... I'll probably go with Vicki Guerrero. (okay, I'm stretching it a little, as she's not really a wrestling diva) but is there one woman who can draw as MUCH heat as Vickie can with just two words ? "Excuse Me!". She can be doing stuff that fans should be loving, and it just takes those two words for the crowd to turn on her. I cringe when she's first comes on TV in any segment, but then i have to watch, and she somehow manages to save it, whether it's through good or bad acting (and sometimes both)

Conversely ... everyone loved Gregory Helms/The Hurricane. I really wasn't a fan. Nothing personal against him in the slightest, I just never connected with what he was doing on TV. Great wrestler, really good on the mic, very confident and self-assured ... I also wanted to like Shelton Benjamin too, but just couldn't really get into his stuff on TV.

I'll probably get slapped around for saying this... but there are two (well one and a group)... 1) Brian kendrick. Yes, he had a lot of the "it' factors.. but he never clikced for me. and then the one I'm going to get ripped to shreds for... The Shield. I've given up trying to even bother worrying about what "miscarriage of justice" they were supposed to be going after, they're just a "group" that has to work with the numbers game (much like the Nexus did, much like the Freebirds did), but NOTHING so far about the Shield has had me interested... "Oh my, two people picked up one wrestler to set him up for a power bomb"...

yes, they're booked brilliantly so far in terms of being a top threat... but honestly, I quit caring after the 30th time from the stage and just outnumbered their opponents over and over..

JP
May 9th, 2013, 5:13 AM
I jump from one end of the scale to the other with the Cena and it's directly related to what I'm hearing other people say about it him.

As soon as I hear some stunted, troglodyte cuntobrains come out with any of the legendary 'he can't wrestle', 'he knows 5 moves' etc I go from somebody frustrated with his stale as month old bread character to his staunchest defender.

And here's the kicker, you watch 90% of his ppv matches without background or context and they're brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. The man is a big show performer and has such an incredible body of work that really only the Undertaker on the current roster can match, maybe HHH too.

And I hate myself for not hating him.

Big_Dre
May 9th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Everyone here hates Kofi because of his lack of development over the years, and I've come to find his mic work lately to be kinda bland, but I still love the guy. He's my favorite guy in the WWE at the moment.

As far as someone I should like but don't..I can't honestly think of anyone. Though I don't hate the guy, I'm not as over the moon with Dean Ambrose as a lot of you are. He's great, but I prefer Rollins the most out of all the Shield guys.

Diva-wise I'd definitely say Rosa. She's easily one of the best looking girls there and she's actually got a personality. I don't care that she can't wrestle. I guess she's a guilty pleasure.

The Rogerer
May 9th, 2013, 12:14 PM
I feel so guilty about this thread that I'm going to go and watch a batch of Jericho's highlights tonight to see him get into proper matches. Maybe I am always looking for him to mess up.

Cewsh
May 9th, 2013, 12:21 PM
I jump from one end of the scale to the other with the Cena and it's directly related to what I'm hearing other people say about it him.

As soon as I hear some stunted, troglodyte cuntobrains come out with any of the legendary 'he can't wrestle', 'he knows 5 moves' etc I go from somebody frustrated with his stale as month old bread character to his staunchest defender.

And here's the kicker, you watch 90% of his ppv matches without background or context and they're brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. The man is a big show performer and has such an incredible body of work that really only the Undertaker on the current roster can match, maybe HHH too.

And I hate myself for not hating him.

Brilliant post. I'm exactly the same way. From what I write on the internet, you'd think that I was president on the John Cena fan club. It's a constant stream of defending the man and praising his matches. But honestly, I'm as fatigued by the guy as anyone, and I have so many problems with how his character is presented and how it makes me not invest in his feuds until the matches come around. I just never get to talk about that part because some fuckwit will show up and say "JOHN CENA IS THE WORST HE ADDS NOTHING TO THE PRODUCT AND SHOULD BE FIRED" when that is so far from the truth that it's comical.

Andy
May 9th, 2013, 2:08 PM
The most recent thing that annoyed me about Cena was wwe.com acknowledging that fans call him Super Cena, along with the explanation that it's because he's capable of coming back from extreme punishment without showing the effects of it, or something to that effect. So they've just made an excuse for the most annoying part of his ring work and seemingly ensuring it will go on. :no:

Cewsh
May 9th, 2013, 2:13 PM
I've never minded his selling in the ring mid-match. He's clearly doing his interpretation of Japanese style fighting spirit, and while it's a little clunky and out of place, I've come to accept it as part of his style and his matches have even benefitted from that trope in some ways. It's the no selling immediately after matches and in promos that is so problematic for me. He deflates the atmosphere around matches and feuds without even meaning to. Really disappoints me.

Andy
May 9th, 2013, 2:15 PM
It's everything about his selling, in the ring and out. As you say, post-match and promos are just shit. I remember it being particularly bad after Extreme Rules last year.

Was it in the match against Punk where he was on the floor outside the ring, then suddenly at the count of 8 he got up, sprinted back into the ring then decided to lay down again. Laughable.

chatty
May 9th, 2013, 7:38 PM
With Cena I'm neither this or that. I just don't care much for him but don't really dislike him.

He's had a lot of good matches so the can't wrestle thing doesn't really stand up. Sure, he's not as technically gifted as say Dynamite Kid or Bret etc but he has good matches when in with the right people so who cares.

His might work, well it's aimed at kids, he can work the mic well but he's just a big cheesy goofball so its never gonna get over on me. His character is stale as hell though but I can understand why they don't change it.

I just forward past his stuff, if I hear he's had a good match I'll watch it other than that I'm happy enough to just bypass him.

In answering the Thread I'm gonna say the Rock for most of his time in the company. I thought he was great during his Nation run and for a certain time period as he got with the corporation but then he just started recycling the same shit - I wanted to like him but in reality I was never that into him. He got kinda boring for me especially as a face, his matches aren't great in general - he has a few but mostly i find they are just run of the mill.

He was refreshed a bit when he came back as a heel but he was too far over and they just changed him back. His run the last few years, in personal opinion I would say is one of the worst runs in the companies history, very very dull - basically just a catchphrase machine.

i would have liked to like he guy more but from about 2000 onward other than three months he just never did anything that got me pumped unless I was routing for someone to kick his ass.

The Rogerer
May 10th, 2013, 9:11 AM
I rewatched Jericho vs. Michaels at WM19 last night. It was a bloody good match, and it helped me figure out what I feel. It's a good/bad choice as I am not a fan of a lot of what I've seen of Michaels matches in a similar way to Jericho. Michaels and Jericho both put in a lot of effort, but I think HBK's wrestling style can come across as 'hammy'.

I noticed instances of what I said about Jericho's selling issues - I will watch the match again and highlight specific instances, but there were times in the match where he would counter something straight after an impact, so he's not taking the moment to recover that you would expect. You can maybe just completely no-sell something every so often but I think Jericho would do this a bit too often. I started to wonder if other people act like this frequently, or if I just attribute this to Jericho. I think it is something that you would see elsewhere but it doesn't fit into the WWE textbook match. I will go on to keep an eye out for comparable behaviour as I get more back into wrestling and recap more Jericho matches.

Shawn Michaels is another example of someone who I appreciate on a technical level, but leaves me cold at times. Due to the times I've been most into wrestling, I haven't seen very much of him at all, though. I remember there being a big deal about him overselling to Hogan. Comparably, the first time I watched the Montreal Screwjob I thought he was having a laugh - his selling of the punches is cartoonish.

Ringo
May 10th, 2013, 9:18 AM
Don't disagree with much of what you've said there. I love Jericho but he's often overrated when it comes to his ring work. Michaels too, but I love him less.

Always been a big Y2J fan but 2008 was his biggest and best year, no doubt. That was the year he finally looked right at home in the main event. The change in appearance, the "Anton Chigurh" character, the more intense ring style and a hell of a story with Shawn which featured some his best promo work and four great PPV matches which each had their own distinct character and place within the feud.

Atty
May 10th, 2013, 9:29 AM
Shawn Michaels is another example of someone who I appreciate on a technical level, but leaves me cold at times. Due to the times I've been most into wrestling, I haven't seen very much of him at all, though. I remember there being a big deal about him overselling to Hogan. Comparably, the first time I watched the Montreal Screwjob I thought he was having a laugh - his selling of the punches is cartoonish.

Yep, he'd do that with people he wanted to mock. Hogan apparently said he had to win right before the event, contrary to their plans and Shawn oversold him like crazy as a result. Shawn's said that Hulk wanted the "old heel Shawn" for the match—he got it.

The best part is that Hulky wasn't looking or realizing, as he was just focusing on how he looked and posing for the crowd. The time he did notice was after the big boot—he boots Shawn, turns around to pose to the crowd and, rather than just fall down, Shawn goes down from the boot, gets right up, runs in a circle like a chicken with his head cut off and falls back down into place. Hulky turns around just in time to see the end of this and gave a great wtf expression.

WizoOzz
May 10th, 2013, 2:28 PM
There's instantly one guy that I think of that I should absolutely abhor, and yet still manage to find something in him that clicks with me: The Miz.

He is absolutely 100% everything that I bitch about that is wrong with wrestling (and in some instances, society) - he was a reality show star who outlived his welcome after his 15 minutes, was pushed far too soon before he should have into not only the world title hunt, but a win over Cena at Wrestlemania, and honestly his in-ring work is just not that spectacular. But every time that I watch the guy, I see how much has has improved, and when he's a heel, I think he not only gets true "want to see him get his teeth kicked in" obnoxious heat, but he's one of the best guys they have at getting it. I remember talking to my dad when I was living with him and saying that the Miz would be champ by the year's end, and he was. I just overall, as much as I should hate him, dig what he does.

A guy I don't get at all - Wade Barrett. He seems to be an internet darling, and I just don't see it. He just screams generic to me. I find his matches boring, and him boring overall. I just don't see if WWE let him go, how they'd lose anything at all.

The Rogerer
May 10th, 2013, 6:38 PM
I can see that with Barrett, I like his look and prescence, but I don't think he's translated that into anything interesting. I missed a lot of the rise of The Miz and so his stature is something that's baffling to me as it stands.

I went for a match that I have fond rajah memories of - the last man standing with Kane and Jericho at Armageddon 2000. This was Jericho on good form - doing a good job of fighting a big man and making convincing comebacks, and everything made sense (except, perhaps, a lionsault onto a chair, but that's wrestling). I noticed a nice connection in the match whether it was intentional or not - Jericho's early successful flying elbow then led to him taking a further dive off the apron that went wrong for him and his match fell apart from three, it was a nice story. The negative thing about this match is that it has the Attitude era written all over the start and ending - I do not miss the aimless brawling in backstage, and then the set theatrics at the top of the ramp to finish. Neither gets in the way of the match, you need a dramatic finish for last man standing.

Andy
May 10th, 2013, 7:24 PM
Yeah I always liked that match. Really weird period for Kane that was. Turning on Taker for no reason, then the infamous coffee feud with Jericho, but he was so over at the Rumble that they turned him face and had him team with Taker at No Way Out. That's how I remember it anyway.

The Law
May 11th, 2013, 1:23 AM
Yeah I always liked that match. Really weird period for Kane that was. Turning on Taker for no reason, then the infamous coffee feud with Jericho, but he was so over at the Rumble that they turned him face and had him team with Taker at No Way Out. That's how I remember it anyway.

Turning on Taker was an audible. Him and Taker were feuding with Shane's group ("The Conspiracy," I think they were called) of Benoit, Angle, Big Show, Edge, and Christian. They were building toward some kind of match with Big Show at Summerslam, maybe Big Show and Shane vs. BoD. But Big Show injured his back and management got fed up with him being overweight, so they wrote him out and sent him down to OVW. So that left Taker and Kane with nothing to do for Summerslam. So they had Kane do one of his many random heel turns, get beat up by Taker at Summerslam, and then subsequently drop the issue. By the start of 2001 they were teaming up again to fight Rikishi and Haku.

Kyle_242
May 11th, 2013, 1:31 PM
For me, it's always been Edge. He's good, and has put on pretty solid matches, but I never felt that I should've cared about him as much as I did. Even way back in the "tormented soul" days, I always paid an irrational amount of attention to this guy.

Although he was pretty horrific by the time he left (see: Kane feud), I still missed him almost immediately. Still do.

Badger
May 12th, 2013, 1:12 PM
Used to root for Greg Valentine only because he had the same first name as me.

lotjx
May 12th, 2013, 2:26 PM
For me its Cena. I was on the Cena bandwagon when he was cutting scathing promos and inventing a new move to fit with his throwback gimmick a week. Even for a good chunk of his first title reigns I was with him, but eventually he got old. The thing with Cena is he could be amazing, I mean a true Ric Flair for our age, but he got lazy. Yes, he knows how to work the crowd, but a lot of that has to do with the fact, he was so shitty at it to start, the WWE has gone out of its way to protect him like no other wrestler they ever had. When, he doesn't need protecting, yet they still do it for him.

I am almost on the Punk hate wagon, meeting him live was a bit of a disappointment considering how cool he was with other fans mainly ones with boobs, but as soon as I said I watch Raw for him and Bryan. He put his head down, signed and shrugged me off. I know it was a smart mark thing to say and there was like a thousand other things I wanted to say, but I sorta choked. The stuff with Paul Bearer was pretty awful and I wish he didn't decided to turn heel, because he knew he was never going to be the number one guy. It sorta like throwing in the towel. I will say his Mania match was amazing live and I am waiting for his return to see what he is going to do.

Matthew
May 12th, 2013, 2:34 PM
lol

lotjx
May 12th, 2013, 2:41 PM
The irony is same day I had 15 minute conversation with DDP who told me, he was going to be the 4th NWO member.

Brian M.
May 12th, 2013, 4:21 PM
But I bet you didn't start that conversation off by telling him you only watched Nitro for him and Dean Malenko.

Ringo
May 12th, 2013, 4:38 PM
:D

Tainted Eclipse
May 12th, 2013, 4:50 PM
why would being told you're 1/2 of the reason someone watched a tv show be offensive

Beer-Belly
May 12th, 2013, 4:59 PM
Punk might very well be a prick, but I'm not really sure how you expected him to respond to that statement. You're kind of insulting his friends and co-workers.

Bennedy
May 12th, 2013, 5:11 PM
Hardly. You would have to be a bit of an idiot to not take what lotjx said as a compliment.

kangus
May 12th, 2013, 5:39 PM
The irony is same day I had 15 minute conversation with DDP who told me, he was going to be the 4th NWO member.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/26315922.jpg

Andy
May 12th, 2013, 5:56 PM
I have no idea if he actually was annoyed at you but I can kind of understand why he'd be frustrated at that sort of comment.

JP
May 12th, 2013, 6:18 PM
Punk admits all the time to being a grumpy arse.

Bennedy
May 12th, 2013, 6:21 PM
Could probably do with a decent nights sleep to sort that out.

Ringo
May 13th, 2013, 1:31 AM
And a couple of fucking beers YEAH!?

MMH
May 13th, 2013, 3:41 AM
Everyone here hates Kofi because of his lack of development over the years, and I've come to find his mic work lately to be kinda bland, but I still love the guy. He's my favorite guy in the WWE at the moment.

Im a big Kofi fan too. Hes not the most interesting guy character wise but its very rare he has a bad match and can be carried to some great ones. One of the most underated guys on the roster in my opinion.

mr sabu
May 13th, 2013, 3:56 AM
now i may give him shit from time to time but i don't mind hornswaggle..

Bennedy
May 13th, 2013, 5:13 AM
I hate the hornswoggle character, but from the interviews I have see of him he seems like a nice guy.

JP
May 13th, 2013, 5:35 AM
Im a big Kofi fan too. Hes not the most interesting guy character wise but its very rare he has a bad match and can be carried to some great ones. One of the most underated guys on the roster in my opinion.

See, in ring I have a problem with Kofi too.

The Orton series aside - which again shows just how good Orton can be when not used incorrectly - a Kofi match 4 years ago is the same match you will see now. It's actually a problem I'm starting to have with Ziggler too.

lotjx
May 13th, 2013, 8:52 AM
I have no idea if he actually was annoyed at you but I can kind of understand why he'd be frustrated at that sort of comment.

Yeah. As soon as I said I was like oh shit that was the smarkest thing to say to a guy who hates smarks. I was hoping he would like my Zelda/Transformers shirt that has the "You have got the touch" lyrics. Alas, no. There was no 80s geek bonding just shame.

Beer-Belly
May 13th, 2013, 9:45 AM
It's not like he'd remember you if you met him again. You shouldn't lose any sleep over it.

mth
May 13th, 2013, 12:09 PM
I hate the hornswoggle character, but from the interviews I have see of him he seems like a nice guy.

That's pretty much how I feel. There have been a few times I was alright with his character (original rabid leprechaun and his DX involvement come to mind) but most of the time I am not a fan of it. But, I am a huge fan of the guy himself. Nice guy, humble and just happy to be living the dream, loves The Muppets, etc.