PDA

View Full Version : Hemlock Grove

Mr_Nobody
May 4th, 2013, 7:54 PM
Has anyone else watched this series on Netflix? It's the third of their original series.

I'm through episode 8 at the moment, and it has an American Horror Story vibe to it. It's got one of the better werewolf transformations I've seen on television. Although I do have to admit, I'm shocked, because it's been advertised as basically a werewolf show, and there are werewolves in it, but the wolves themselves have no impact for most episodes, so don't go into the show expecting a lot of werewolf action, because there isn't much. There are some gruesome scenes, and an interesting cast of characters, with a whodunnit mystery through-out.

Right now, I recommend it, because it has captured my attention.

The_Mike
May 4th, 2013, 9:38 PM
I've seen advertising for it, but it just doesn't reach out and grab me. I am beyond tired of murder mystery shows, and can't help but feel the supernatural element just seems like a tacked on gimmick to make the show look kind of cool. Then again, I thought a show about some insomniac hunting terrorists for 24 hours straight would be abysmal. Is it worth checking out if you're not normally drawn to that sort of genre?

Mr_Nobody
May 4th, 2013, 9:47 PM
That I don't know. I initially watched it because of the supernatural element, but for me, the supernatural element is secondary to the characters and the mystery about who killed the people. I'm now on episode 10, and I have a feeling as we ramp up to the final episode, the supernatural element is going to kick into high gear.

Mr_Nobody
May 5th, 2013, 3:04 PM
Just finished watching the final episode and now I hope there is a second season. I figured out a show that this reminds me a lot of, and that's HBO's Carnivale. It's got a very similar atmospheric type build to things, giving bits and pieces here and there, but relying more on character building and eerieness. The next to final episode was probably the best, with the big reveal on who did it, where as the last episode seemed to be the prologue to everything and a lead in to a second season.

One big thing I'm shocked in is who the other characters were. I figured out the two main mysteries out, the whodunit and the one revolving the baby (won't give more details on that one), but I should have figured out that there was more to it than just that.

Once again, I suggest giving it a watch.

Donald
August 3rd, 2014, 10:08 PM
Just started this today. Watched the first two episodes, pretty damn good in my opinion. Anyone else think Peter looks like Seth Rollins?

Mr_Nobody
August 4th, 2014, 8:26 PM
I can see that.