PDA

View Full Version : The Trip - Coogan/Brydon

turdpower
April 29th, 2013, 3:33 PM
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-04-26/rob-brydon-and-steve-coogan-confirm-the-trip-series-2-will-shoot-in-italy

Brilliant news :D

Mik
April 29th, 2013, 3:37 PM
Oddly the link wont open, but the title tells me all I need to know. Delighted about that. The first series was like putting on a comfortable pair of shoes.

McBain
April 30th, 2013, 11:37 PM
Excellent news.

turdpower
April 13th, 2014, 1:57 PM
I've really enjoyed it.

It hasn't moved on a great deal at all but I think that's what makes me love it.

Chris
April 14th, 2014, 5:50 PM
Really enjoying this so far. I thought the bit they did about newsreaders' intonations was great, and the MIchael Caine duels always get me. Brydon doing a B&Q advert as Bane in the first episode was priceless. It's amazing how they get so many gems out of doing exactly the same thing in every episode.

I liked the way Coogan did the Partridge shoulder shrug at one point.

turdpower
April 15th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Was that the bit when he said he was friends with Jake Gillenhall but didn't know how to say his surname?

Clive Plasma
April 15th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Avoiding watching this so far, got tickets to see it at the Sundance Festival in London in a couple of weeks time.

Mik
April 27th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Honestly I think that I could watch Coogan and Brydon bickering and bantering endlessly.

turdpower
May 2nd, 2014, 5:33 PM
Fucking hell, Brydon doing Parky interviewing Coogan was brilliant.

:lol:

Chris
May 4th, 2014, 11:34 AM
That bit was great. I love the moments where Coogan seems to genuinely crack up at what Brydon is throwing at him.

Really going to miss this when it finishes. There has to be a third series, surely. A trip to the US, perhaps?

Lagom
May 4th, 2014, 11:58 AM
A trip to the moon, please. Big Brother style.

turdpower
May 4th, 2014, 3:38 PM
That bit was great. I love the moments where Coogan seems to genuinely crack up at what Brydon is throwing at him.

Really going to miss this when it finishes. There has to be a third series, surely. A trip to the US, perhaps?

Yeah I was thinking US is a logical third series. But anywhere works really, it's the same whatever.

Although, would you really think of doing a trip to America about "fine dining"?

Chris
May 4th, 2014, 4:37 PM
I'm sure they could make up some reason for going there. The restaurant reviews aspect has been downplayed this series, in favour of them tracing the history of Byron and Shelley. The only thing they do consistently about the restaurants this time around is having Coogan guess the price of the meal.

Fictional Coogan had an American series in the first trip, and now fictional Brydon has been offered a role in a feature film. So a trip to the US makes sense in terms of what they've built up already and there would be an natural animosity about their respective Hollywood careers to get plenty of banter from. They maybe wouldn't go for somewhere as predictable as New York or Los Angeles. But it wouldn't really matter where they go. I could watch this kind of show endlessly.

turdpower
May 4th, 2014, 6:55 PM
Yeah, but the places they are going to are "fine dining" and they haven't had a meal under €150

Mik
May 5th, 2014, 7:32 AM
It'd be interesting seeing an American series, because since The Trip to Italy has been filmed, Coogan has become an Oscar nominated writer.

Chris
March 24th, 2017, 7:55 AM
The Trip to Spain starts on 6th April on Sky Atlantic. I love these shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPjk2nYiY0Q

There's a good interview with them in the Guardian. It'll be interesting to see how Coogan plays his character now that he's done Philomena. I love the fact that some people genuinely thought Brydon had cheated on his wife in the second series.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/mar/19/trip-to-spain-rob-brydon-steve-coogan-i-like-it-when-people-think-this-is-real

How do they feel about the move of channels?

“Rob feels fine, I feel awkward,” Coogan says firmly, within ear of the Sky press officer. Brydon laughs. “Because you’re more nuanced?” he asks. “No,” Coogan says, “because I don’t like Rupert Murdoch.” Brydon leans back a little in his chair. “Whereas I … I adore the man. Listen, my thing is, if you’ve signed, it’s a bit disingenuous to then take the …” Coogan cuts him off: “Whereas I think it’s more dishonest to reverentially toe the line of your employer. The thing is, it’s not like we’re doing them a favour. We are providing them with ‘content’.” He picks the word up limply.

The series would have been on the BBC, Brydon explains, but the corporation wasn’t prepared to pay. “Essentially they wanted us to do it for less money than last time,” he says. “It’s a quality thing, and it seems like a very bad precedent to set, for everyone, making every programme, if you say, ‘We can give you the same thing for less money.’ Where does that end?”

Coogan smiles. “I wish more people watched Sky,” he says, more gently. “That’s another thing. But maybe they will when The Trip goes out.” He has, after all, already publicly labelled the show “Last of the Summer Wine for Guardian readers”. “It’s my theory that a lot of people who like The Trip are the very demographic who are resolutely non-Sky subscribers. So I think we might just be a cynical ploy by Sky to get them to adopt the platform. If they manage to do that I’ll be very impressed. But it wouldn’t sway me.”

Slutty McWhoreface
March 24th, 2017, 8:16 PM

The Rogerer
March 24th, 2017, 9:11 PM
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/media/2016/02/sky-s-gazumping-killing-popular-drama-imports-tv-no-viewers-isn-t-tv-all

I found that article about how no one watches Sky

turdpower
March 26th, 2017, 7:06 PM
Mid Morning Matters and other Partridge pieces was on Sky Atlantic, so it's not the first time he's done stuff on Sky in the recent history.

Bizarre for the BBC to supposedly offer less money for it.

Slutty McWhoreface
March 26th, 2017, 9:34 PM
I had seen "The Trip" several years ago, and instantly fell in love with the brilliant chemistry between Coogan and Brydon.

imagine my elation when I saw that there was a sequel waiting for me on Netflix... and the promise of a third installment.

I had no idea that this was a series in the UK... I just thought that it was meant to be a feature film.

no current comedic duo brings me unadulterated joy like these two.

such sophisticated, highbrow comedy... yet they're also not afraid to be silly.

I can't wait to see more.

Marlon Dingle
March 28th, 2017, 4:36 AM
Good interview with Coogan on Adam Buxton's podcast.

Simon
March 28th, 2017, 4:39 AM
Yeah that was great, Coogan was in unusually relaxed form. Most interviews I've seen and heard with him, he's so spiky it's cringing to listen to.

Mik
March 29th, 2017, 3:49 PM
That was a good interview actually. Not as good as the Buxton one with Louis Theroux where he just kept singing in falsetto for what seemed like hours and had me madly laughing on my evening walk home, but still pretty good.

turdpower
April 3rd, 2017, 8:14 PM
I had seen "The Trip" several years ago, and instantly fell in love with the brilliant chemistry between Coogan and Brydon.

imagine my elation when I saw that there was a sequel waiting for me on Netflix... and the promise of a third installment.

I had no idea that this was a series in the UK... I just thought that it was meant to be a feature film.

no current comedic duo brings me unadulterated joy like these two.

such sophisticated, highbrow comedy... yet they're also not afraid to be silly.

I can't wait to see more.

I'm pretty certain "The Trip" was released as a film at some point, just all bunched together.

Simmo Fortyone
April 3rd, 2017, 9:24 PM
Yeah it was basically a highlights package of the first series

son_of_foley
April 4th, 2017, 4:42 AM
That was a good interview actually. Not as good as the Buxton one with Louis Theroux where he just kept singing in falsetto for what seemed like hours and had me madly laughing on my evening walk home, but still pretty good.

Adam Buxton is awesome

turdpower
April 4th, 2017, 7:57 PM
Didn't Adam and Joe go to uni with Theroux?

Slutty McWhoreface
April 4th, 2017, 8:50 PM
I'm pretty certain "The Trip" was released as a film at some point, just all bunched together.
I'm not sure exactly where within my post the confusion lies... I clearly stated that I was previously under the impression that it was released solely as a film-- oblivious to it's original run as a series in the U.K.

turdpower
April 4th, 2017, 9:27 PM
I was just clarifying that the films were literally all 6 episodes at once. After the TV show, nothing else.
Chillax mate.

Slutty McWhoreface
April 4th, 2017, 10:07 PM
Wasn't trying to be a cock... I just don't get the confusion is all.

no biggie.

Marlon Dingle
April 5th, 2017, 3:37 AM
Although the first episode of this airs tomorrow, I noticed on the Sky website it looks like that the entire boxset will be available from the 13th.

https://www.sky.com/watch/channel/sky-box-sets/the-trip-to-spain-sky-box-sets

Marlon Dingle
April 5th, 2017, 3:42 AM
I was just clarifying that the films were literally all 6 episodes at once. After the TV show, nothing else.
Chillax mate.

No they weren't. I watched the first film on US Netflix and there was a good bit cut out. The films have run times of 112 and 108 minutes. So they are not the 6 episodes played back to back.

Simon
April 5th, 2017, 4:40 AM
Turdy didn't say they were back to back, he said they were all at once. So it would have a running time of around 24 minutes and would be impossible to make out any of the dialogue :D

Marlon Dingle
April 7th, 2017, 3:08 AM
Although the first episode of this airs tomorrow, I noticed on the Sky website it looks like that the entire boxset will be available from the 13th.

https://www.sky.com/watch/channel/sky-box-sets/the-trip-to-spain-sky-box-sets

The whole series looks to be available now. I watched two episodes last night. Coogan appears to have lost a bit of weight. Cutting out the booze has his benefits.

Clive Plasma
April 9th, 2017, 4:25 PM
Third episode in and I've enjoyed it so far. Same formula, different nonsensical chat. So easy to watch.

Chris
April 9th, 2017, 4:46 PM
It's funny how they stick rigidly to the same formula and it remains so watchable. They know what works and don't feel the need to put a new spin on it.

Simon
April 9th, 2017, 6:05 PM
Only seen the first episode so far but it seemed slight even compared to the previous series. Nothing happened and they didn't really talk about much, and the bleak weather means it doesn't even look particularly good. The impressions of Jagger doing an impression of Caine were great though, and I'll stick with it because there's still a charm to it.

Clive Plasma
April 10th, 2017, 4:11 AM
I thought the same Simon, but it's clearly a setup episode for the rest once you get into Episode 2. So good.

turdpower
April 12th, 2017, 7:11 PM
It's still great and hasn't really changed.

Boshed through 5 episodes last night.

The Beer Monster
April 12th, 2017, 8:21 PM
Never seen any of this before, but I've totally buggered my back at football and can't sleep so I think I'll smash a few out.

Mik
April 14th, 2017, 5:34 PM
Just finished the third episode now and it's probably the best of this season so far. I know it's probably the most overused compliment of the show, but I honestly could watch half an hour of the same format every day and never get bored.

Clive Plasma
April 15th, 2017, 5:35 AM
When they're walking down that hill towards the dinosaur, and Coogan makes a comment about footing and slips immediately, I must have rewatched that moment so many times. It's classic Partridge. So subtle.