PDA

View Full Version : Californication

Slare
April 29th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Did a search and nothing came up strangely.

Lot of fans of this on here? Just fired through the first four seasons on Netflix and I absolutely love it. Incredibly seedy, hilarious and very near the knuckle stuff.

First couple of Seasons were absolutely tremendous and while the fourth never quite reached the heights of the first three, it's still one of the funnier things I've watched.

David Duchcovny (spelt that wrong obv.) is immense in it and I love his little fat jewish friend who was Hurley's imaginary pal in Lost.

Anyway, going to download Seasons 5 and 6 soon and get through them, but please, let's discuss.

Vice
April 29th, 2013, 2:48 PM
I thought season one was brilliant, and then it all started going downhill rather fast. I still watch it, but I haven't actually been very entertained by it for a few seasons now. Definitely has its moments here and there, though, and Duchovny is still fucking brilliant.

Mik
April 29th, 2013, 2:58 PM
I think that I got up to season 4 and want to continue watching. I always found it fairly enjoyable and most importantly it always had the most ridiculously hot mucky women in it.

Some of the women on that were virtually perfect and the best bit was...they all almost always got bucked.

Slare
April 29th, 2013, 7:05 PM
The one from the first episode who's actually 16 in it is absolutely unreal and it made me very happy to find out she was a regular character.

Mik
April 29th, 2013, 7:35 PM
Nah, she's top 10 in the series at best, you mucky pup.

Slare
April 30th, 2013, 7:22 AM
In fact, the one who's constantly cutting about in the multi-coloured bikini who wouldn't give her name and stole all his vinyl. Shes tremendous. I prefer his daughter though.

VHS
April 30th, 2013, 11:39 AM
I stopped watching after Hank and Karen got back together and split up for the dozenth time.

Version 6
April 30th, 2013, 6:35 PM
I enjoy the show, but not nearly as much as I did in the early seasons.

The dialogue and story have both become a little "samey". I mean as an outsider looking in, there really isn't very much keeping Hank and Karen apart so a lot of the drama feels somewhat manufactured. Especially, when Hank's unfortunate and accidental circumstances become major plot points/stumbling points between he and Karen. How many times can that possibly happen?

Hank is portrayed as a man who makes bad decisions and that's what keeps him and Karen apart. But the reality of the show is that Hank is in many instances a victim of circumstance and coincidence. And that's far less interesting and makes the tension far less realistic.

I will continue to watch because I've fallen in love with Hank and Karen. But it's already gone a tad too long.

Bert
April 30th, 2013, 10:30 PM
I prefer his daughter though.

Which season are you watching again? :squint:

I agree that Mia was amazing. I watched that The Collector movie (and Torn watched it to for some reason) just because she was in it.

Karen is amazing too though.

Vice
April 30th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Mia is phenomenal. Kind of weird that she was one of the small fries on The Nanny, though.

virms
April 30th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Still watch the show and get a good chuckle out of it. If they really want people to be invested in Hank and Karen then they need Hank to become a saint for a season and defeat all his temptations. Have him sober up, complete a book, etc. Charlie or now even Becca can carry Hank's share of being a drunk sex fiend. Hell, even let Karen let loose for a season.

An even better idea is make Hank follow Rob Lowe's character around for a year. If he can behave thru that then people might buy into him and Karen.

Mik
May 1st, 2013, 5:23 AM
I stopped watching after Hank and Karen got back together and split up for the dozenth time.

I enjoy the show, but not nearly as much as I did in the early seasons.

The dialogue and story have both become a little "samey". I mean as an outsider looking in, there really isn't very much keeping Hank and Karen apart so a lot of the drama feels somewhat manufactured. Especially, when Hank's unfortunate and accidental circumstances become major plot points/stumbling points between he and Karen. How many times can that possibly happen?

Hank is portrayed as a man who makes bad decisions and that's what keeps him and Karen apart. But the reality of the show is that Hank is in many instances a victim of circumstance and coincidence. And that's far less interesting and makes the tension far less realistic.

I will continue to watch because I've fallen in love with Hank and Karen. But it's already gone a tad too long.

Still watch the show and get a good chuckle out of it. If they really want people to be invested in Hank and Karen then they need Hank to become a saint for a season and defeat all his temptations. Have him sober up, complete a book, etc. Charlie or now even Becca can carry Hank's share of being a drunk sex fiend. Hell, even let Karen let loose for a season.

An even better idea is make Hank follow Rob Lowe's character around for a year. If he can behave thru that then people might buy into him and Karen.

You guys mean anyone actually wants him to end up with Karen? I'm always wondering why he's so infatuated with her when there's so many better women out there. Anytime they are back together it feels like the show is wasting time.

Also, the girl that plays Becca has become a truly awful actress. Every line is delivered the same way.

Bert
December 10th, 2013, 2:55 AM
http://www.tv.com/shows/californication/community/post/californication-canceled-showtime-season-7-138661878498/

Whether you see this as a chance for the show to end on its own terms or as a cancellation is up to you. However, the former seems to be the case, because Showtime says that the story arcs for Hank Moody, Karen, Becca, Charlie, and Marcy will all receive fitting endings, implying that everyone working behind the scenes knew that Season 7 would be the end.

The final season will run for 12 episodes and premiere in April 2014, with Hank working as a writer on the TV series based on his never-produced film Santa Monica Cop. Keep an eye out for appearances from guest-stars like Michael Imperioli, Heather Graham, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Stephen Tobolowsky, Rob Lowe, and Brandon T. Jackson.

I'm ok with this. It probably should have ended a few seasons ago realistically.

Version 6
December 10th, 2013, 5:10 AM
Yep. They have run out of compelling story to tell.

Mik
December 10th, 2013, 5:42 PM
Are they still getting outrageously hot women in it though?

Version 6
December 10th, 2013, 6:01 PM
I'd say we could count on that.

Little Californication fun fact I didn't know until a few weeks ago, Pamela Whatshername that plays Marcy Runkle is the voice of Bobby Hill in King of the Hill.

Mik
December 10th, 2013, 6:02 PM
Oh of course! FACK.

Myles
December 10th, 2013, 6:04 PM
this show peaked with season 4. it was dark as hell, the last couple seasons have been slapstick comedy ffs.

season 4 was tense and gritty. I loved it.

Also season 2 with the rockstar was pretty awesome. :yes:

Version 6
December 10th, 2013, 6:05 PM
Oh of course! FACK.

I know, right?!

It's one of those things where you slap yourself and think "how the fuck did I not pick it before?"

Newf
December 11th, 2013, 12:26 AM
this show peaked with season 4. it was dark as hell, the last couple seasons have been slapstick comedy ffs.

season 4 was tense and gritty. I loved it.

Also season 2 with the rockstar was pretty awesome. :yes:
I'd have to go back and look at the season by season break down as it's honestly a bit of a blur (which isn't a sign of great story-telling if you ask me) but I'd tend to agree. Hell, even the first season was a lovely little package that could've just existed on its own. But I definitely found myself watching the last season or two out of nothing more than loyalty. I'll give season 7 a chance but I might tap out mid-way through.

virms
December 11th, 2013, 12:58 AM
No you won't newf. Some super hot hollywood bombshell will get naked gratuitously in it and you will watch.

Newf
December 11th, 2013, 1:40 AM
This is true. Addison Timlin's tits were great in whatever season that was. As were Eva Amurri's, and Camilla Luddington.

Jesus Christ, I'm a sucker for tits.

Newf
December 12th, 2013, 12:59 AM
Cruising my YouTube favourites from way back I saw that I'd bookmarked this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59KXZ3cAgA8

If they could capture THAT in a season I'd be on board for season 7. God I get chills watching that. But it was that time jump in season 5 where things started to go down hill a bit, for me, and then the overall cheesiness of season 6. I really hope they can get back to the core for season 7.

Version 6
December 12th, 2013, 1:10 AM
Really?

They capture THAT every season. The show has been for the better part of several seasons now, meandering and wallowing in those exact themes and with pretty much that tone. And that's really the essence of the problem, because these people aren't 25. They're 50 something and for the past few seasons the things keeping them apart have been pretend.

The show is full of (just like that clip) these vague abstract references to things that keep them apart, but what are they really?

The show is full of brilliant prose and a stunning soundtrack. That and the tits are all it has left.

Version 6
December 12th, 2013, 1:11 AM
I love the character of Hank Moody, but its time for this to end.

Newf
December 12th, 2013, 1:37 AM
I dunno, there's something a bit romanticized and idealized about that trailer. Maybe it's just the clips set to the music. I feel, though, like this past season with Faith, and Hank choosing between her or Karen, and the recurring dreams/visions was getting away from the core of the show, plus all the Tim Minchin stuff. The season prior to that with Marcy and Karen both remarried and all got too far away from the core of the show as well. I really just want it to get back to the stuff he highlights in that voiceover, rotting in the LA sun, figuring things out while drowning in a sea of pussy, getting lost out there without each other. Like you said, the things keeping them apart are pretend and really dependent on themselves, just the two of them. We don't need new love interests and characters getting remarried and rockstars tempting Hank with life on the road. It's too much external shit. Hank's struggle has always been internal. I want more of that, I guess, is what I'm saying. Focus less on the gimmicky guest stars and go back to basics.

I mean, hell, if they could somehow ignore or gloss over the last two seasons and act as if this was season 5 that'd be alright too.

Newf
April 14th, 2014, 12:54 PM
So I'm watching the premiere and have only just paid it to the title sequence.

This is feeling really forced. Hank is just TOO desperate, too aggressive scaring off that yoga guy. Hank isn't usually like that, is he? He's way more detached and aloof normally. Maybe it was to illustrate just how "serious" he is about Karen this time, but it felt off.

And that "cummus" line was horrible and forced as well.

I worried about this last season and I'm starting to think I was justified, but I'll give it 'til the end of this episode.

VHS
April 14th, 2014, 1:28 PM
Hank's chasing Karen again? :wtf:

So what's the gist of what's going on these days w/ Californication? I stopped watching a long time ago, but I saw that Hank was banging Carla Gugino... Karen was married to somebody else... what's the haps?

blackening
November 13th, 2014, 10:41 PM
So I finished watching this on Netflix yesterday. The last season (maybe last two) and last episode were pretty shit. And what was up with in between season 5 and 6 I believe. Karen was with the black dude and he saves Hank's life then out of nowhere she's married to Bates and you never see the dude again. Early seasons were great though.

Version 6
November 13th, 2014, 11:09 PM
So I finished watching this on Netflix yesterday. The last season (maybe last two) and last episode were pretty shit. And what was up with in between season 5 and 6 I believe. Karen was with the black dude and he saves Hank's life then out of nowhere she's married to Bates and you never see the dude again. Early seasons were great though.

Season 5 is set like 3 years after Season 4.

I've always kind of thought that Karen should have ended up with Zoe Kravitz dad, and Hank should have ended up with Carla Gugino.