PDA

View Full Version : American Gods on HBO

Mik
April 25th, 2013, 7:38 AM
I know we had a thread around for this, so quite a few of us have read the Neil Gaiman book, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Apparently HBO have commissioned a TV series of the book and the first season could be out as early as this year, which is being written by the author himself.

This is perhaps the most interesting bit of all though:

The series is currently being planned out in no less than six seasons of 10-12 episodes each. The budget for each season will be in the $40 million range, with a heavy emphasis on CG.

http://screenrant.com/neil-gaiman-american-gods-hbo-6-seasons-mcrid-119432/

Pretty cool!

Alf
April 25th, 2013, 8:08 AM
I only read this recently. Very interesting. HBO will do a great job, it's perfect for them.

Hlebsfall
April 25th, 2013, 8:28 AM
Six seasons? Seems excessive. I'm about half way through the book at the moment. I don't particularly like it if I'm being totally honest, I'm finding it pretty slow and dull.

Mik
April 25th, 2013, 8:34 AM
Only the first two seasons would be made from the first book. He's writing a sequel apparently.

Miotch
April 25th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Lovely. I needed some motivation to finish the book, and I'm off work starting tonight.

I'm sure the series will be much expanded. Even if the 2nd book is done there's not enough material there for 6 seasons worth. I'm thinking they probably go something like the route that Showtime did with Dexter, and the show takes its own course after the first season.

Rip
April 25th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Not a bad book to base a series around I guess, I guess you could 'pad out' the series as well with a few monster of the week type episodes with some of the Gods as well which could be quite fun.

I see they're going ahead with 'The Graveyard Book' as a movie as well, Henry Selick to write/direct for Disney.

Judas Iscariot
April 25th, 2013, 12:56 PM
A sequel would be welcome. I hated the ending, but that was 10 years ago. Maybe I should give it another go.

Rip
April 25th, 2013, 1:09 PM
Gaimen has brilliant ideas but sometimes gets bored towards the end of things, he works best with a collaborator.

Pete Cash
April 26th, 2013, 2:30 AM
Jesus mik thanks for using a font that is almost impossible to read..

I quite liked the book. Thought it was pretty clever. That said its a bit poorly paced in parts.

Mik
April 26th, 2013, 10:42 AM
...I dont know what skin you are using, but its perfectly clear in the one I'm using.

Marlon Dingle
May 2nd, 2017, 5:22 AM
Did anyone watch the first episode of this? I thought it was interesting enough. That sex scene was probably the highlight just because of how bizarre it all was.

The Beer Monster
May 2nd, 2017, 2:01 PM
I liked the first episode, I especially liked how dead that guy with the arrows was.

Rip
May 2nd, 2017, 2:24 PM
Yeah, that guy was having a bad day.

Really enjoyed it, Ricky has come a long way from his crappy beginnings.

Beer-Belly
May 3rd, 2017, 9:14 PM
Isn't this show on Starz?

Marlon Dingle
May 4th, 2017, 3:05 AM
Isn't this show on Starz?

Yes, this thread was created at the very start of pre-production, when it looked like HBO might be the channel to air it. It's on Amazon Prime in the UK.

Beer-Belly
May 4th, 2017, 3:37 AM
Whoops.