PDA

View Full Version : Who is WWE's Next Top Guy?

The Law
April 23rd, 2013, 11:24 AM
So John Cena is now in his eighth year of being top guy in WWE. That's a very long run on top, and it looks like it will continue for several years. But at some point, WWE will have to acknowledge Cena's mortality. He just turned 36 today, so it's not unreasonable that he could still be wrestling in ten years. But I can't imagine he's still going to be their top wrestler and on the road every week at that point. So who is going to take over for him?

When I look at the current roster, I just don't see anyone who I feel can fill that role. I would say the guys from the Shield are the most intriguing. Reigns definitely seems most like the guy they would want to push, based on his body and look. However, he's definitely the least polished of the three, both on the mic and in the ring. I definitely see him as a future main eventer, but I'm not sure he has the skill set to be the top guy.

When I look at it, I feel like WWE's next top guy probably isn't on the roster right now. I'm not an avid watcher of NXT, so maybe there's someone there that I haven't seen. But I feel like the next big thing is someone currently in training, or wrestling in the Indys, or someone who hasn't even started wrestling yet.

Psycho666Soldier
April 23rd, 2013, 11:35 AM
From people currently on the roster, it's either Sheamus, Ryback, or Big E. Sheamus will be huge, and they've been trying to brush him up that way. He gets a great reaction, but at this point his promo skills just don't hold a candle to Cena. He has all the ring ability, more than Cena does, I think, but he just doesn't have the same charisma, which could prove a problem.

Ryback's going the heel path now, and depending on how well he does and how they book it, it could potentially ruin him forever. Plus, he still hasn't 100% proved himself in the ring, so there are a lot of question marks with his capability.

Big E. seems like a HUGE possibility, but we haven't seen enough of him and how well he will hang with the main roster. Yet, I feel he's in it for the long haul, and has much more potential than Ryback. More personality, stronger, AND he has yet to botch a move, at least in any serious or noticeable way. Plus, he's really good in the ring. If I were to take a guess, I'd say Big E. is a very likely candidate.

RuneEdge
April 23rd, 2013, 11:48 AM
Ryback's going the heel path now, and depending on how well he does and how they book it, it could potentially ruin him forever. Plus, he still hasn't 100% proved himself in the ring, so there are a lot of question marks with his capability.
If they want Ryback to be the top guy, its in his best interest to be a heel now. If he stayed as a babyface, he'd probably become stale by the time his career reaches that "make or break" point. We already know he can be a babyface. Thats good enough.
Now they can develop his skills whilst being a heel, without the risk of having him shoved down our throats like some babyfaces are. Let him improve and when he's ready, turn him again.

VHS
April 23rd, 2013, 11:57 AM
Sheamus and, unfortunately, Ryback seem to be the closest at the moment. If there were any slew of the roster behind them however, I'd say the next big names could be Ziggler, Bryan, Cody, and Sandow.

There is such a big chunk of guys that have been on the main roster for years now that haven't made an actual impact since their debut. I respect WWE for planting the seeds for the next up and coming "top" guy, but Ryback isn't that one.

Kimura Kid
April 23rd, 2013, 12:02 PM
It's hard for me to say because all of the guys that I think have a ton of potential don't seem to have the typical frame of a "Top Guy"

Image is everything for the and most of the guys coming up right now just don't have the frame of a potential "Top Guy"

But in my own opinion I think the single most important attribute to being a "Top Guy" is the ability to get over. And no one has that ability more than DB right now. Aside from his frame he has the potential to be one of the biggest stars the WWE has ever seen.

But Still I see most of the current guys wrestling including DB fit the Mold of a HBK, Bret & Sting.......Not Hogan, Austin & Cena

Kyle_242
April 23rd, 2013, 12:18 PM
My guess is that it won't be anyone who's on our radar right now. And as Law said, Cena's far from done, so I think it's too early to say.

OD50
April 23rd, 2013, 1:01 PM
Reigns.

...No, not Luther Reigns.

Kdestiny
April 23rd, 2013, 1:01 PM
Cesaro

Matty C
April 23rd, 2013, 2:31 PM
Question from a guy that hasn't watch in close to two years: has CM Punk dropped off so much that he doesn't even warrant a menton here? Or is he simply to close in age to Cena, who I agree is probably going to keep going for some time yet.

Kimura Kid
April 23rd, 2013, 2:38 PM
I personally don't think he could impact Wrestling the same way Hogan, Austin & Cena have. I persoanlly don't think we've seen the next guy to fill that role.

Although I do believe Punk to be in the same group as guys Like Bret Hart, HBK & Sting.

Keep in mind I think Punk is the best thing to happen to wrestling since the NWO & Attitude era. The guy is golden.

If we seen a sauced up punk.....that was booked similair to Austin than it's possible he becomes the Next Top Guy.

But most casuals don't see Punk as an intimidating threat.

The Law
April 23rd, 2013, 2:39 PM
He's both the same age as Cena and probably not a big enough draw to be the top guy. I think he's 34, which means that he'll be over the hill by the time Cena needs to be replaced. Secondly, WWE clearly doesn't view him as Cena's successor. They might have had him beat Cena twice in a row in 2011, but his subsequent title run solidified that Cena is the guy on top. Punk was defending the title in the midcard unless he was fighting Cena. I don't have numbers to back this up, but I think it's reasonable to say that Punk isn't capable of being the top guy. He's just not appealing enough to the casual fan. No shame in that, lots of great talents never really made it to the top. Punk will be a darling of smart fans and respected by casual fans, but he's never going to overtake Cena.

Rip
April 23rd, 2013, 3:15 PM
If Cena walked out tomorrow, it would probably be Shaemus, simply because he's the closest they have to that role on hand, I don't think he's the long term future but he'd be a reasonable pair of hands to put the ball in for now.

Long term I'm in the 'no-one' camp right now, I haven't seen anyone else with the simple raw charisma that Hogan/Cena/Austin/Rocky brings to the table, Punk is close, but as Kimura said for me he's more HBK/Bret level, massive, popular really good to have around but not quite 'the' man. Taking Cenas age into account and his injury history we're looking for someone who is probably only 20ish now, so there's a really strong chance they're not even in the picture yet, of the younger guys around I just don't see any becoming the face of the company for the 2020s, there are a few who I think will get to the next tier with a little luck and work but the only one who comes even onto the picture charisma wise would be Ambrose and he's destined to be the Punk of his generation in my eyes.

Kyle_242
April 23rd, 2013, 3:27 PM
Punk has had the unfortunate circumstance of having his career at the same time as Cena's. Otherwise, I really don't see why he couldn't be the guy. He's got the looks, the charisma, the mic skills, the wrestling skills, the hungry attitude, everything. On top of that, as an added bonus, the dude is DRUG FREE. If a list of all the guys that used PED's (or hell, any other drugs) leaked, he's the only one where I'd be shocked to see his name.

The only significant weakness I can think of is that he's never been a compelling face. I'm probably in the minority, but even the "Best in the World" Punk felt a little awkward to me. But if they let him be a full-fledged anti-hero like Austin, I'm sure he'd do just fine.

Andy
April 23rd, 2013, 3:34 PM
I think it could be Daniel Bryan. The guy is so over and he's over with all sections of the crowd and fans in general. His in ring work is obviously amazing and I really think he's up there with the best talkers now. I guess the argument is that WWE has to have a big powerhouse of a guy to be at the top but he easily do what the likes of Jericho and Guerrero did. Ok so maybe that doesn't mean being THE top guy but they really do have a big star on their hands with him.

_me
April 23rd, 2013, 3:36 PM
count me in the 'Haven't seen him yet'. To me for THE GUY, Vince is always looking for 'Big and Muscular' and 'Can Talk' and 'Kids Love Him'. I am intrigued by Big E. His interview segment with Ziggler (with the fake interview voice) was surprising in a good way. Showed some charisma i didn't know he had, plus him and Cena are good friends i hear, so I could see Cena making him look great in a feud. I also think Roman Reigns will be given multiple chances due to his look and family connections.

Kimura Kid
April 23rd, 2013, 3:37 PM
I still feel Cena has a good amount of time left, But once He's gone they could just Replace Cena with Darren Young! Just throw a Bright Shirt and hat on him, a few arm bands and say Cena just got back from Vacation.......

I wouldn't put it past em.

Matty C
April 23rd, 2013, 4:03 PM
Why is Cena considered more Hogan/Austin/Rock than Bret/HBK? Business has been way down with him on top. Surely that suggests more of a Bret/HBK type “top guy” class. If we’re talking about Bret and Shawn sharing the spotlight, so did Rock with Austin. I’m not sure I get why people see him in that grouping.

Fair points on Punk though. Too close in age, seen as too far down the star-power ladder. I get it.

The Law
April 23rd, 2013, 4:15 PM
So for reference, here are the ages of previous top guys at the point they became top guys:

-Bruno Sammartino: 28 (Top guy from 1963 to 1977)
-Billy Graham: 34 (Top guy from 1977 to 1978)
-Bob Backlund: 29 (Top guy from 1978 to 1984)
-Hulk Hogan: 31 (Top guy from 1984 to 1993)
-Bret Hart: 36 (Top guy from 1993 to 1996)
-Shawn Michaels: 31 (Top guy from 1996 to 1998)
-Steve Austin: 34 (Top guy from 1998 to 2002)
-Triple H: 33 (Top guy from 2002 to 2005)
-Cena: 28 (Top guy from 2005 to present)

Average age is 31.5. This sort of reiterates that Punk, Sheamus, Orton, ect. are all too old to really take over unless Cena's career ends within the next year or two. Bryan is a bit more in the range, but I don't see them putting him on top due to his size. The Shield guys will be in their early 30s in 2017 (about the time I anticipate they will be looking to replace Cena) so I think they're interesting candidates. I'm sticking with it being someone who's not currently on the roster.

wardy
April 23rd, 2013, 4:21 PM
Why is Cena considered more Hogan/Austin/Rock than Bret/HBK? Business has been way down with him on top. Surely that suggests more of a Bret/HBK type “top guy” class. If we’re talking about Bret and Shawn sharing the spotlight, so did Rock with Austin. I’m not sure I get why people see him in that grouping.

Fair points on Punk though. Too close in age, seen as too far down the star-power ladder. I get it.
Because Cena is more over than HBK and Bret ever were.

Newf
April 23rd, 2013, 4:21 PM
If a list of all the guys that used PED's (or hell, any other drugs) leaked, he's the only one where I'd be shocked to see his name.Off topic, but I'd be shocked to see guys like Bryan and Cody.
Cody cuz I can remember when he debuted and seeing how his physique has very gradually changed over 6 years. He had a good, natural build to start but he's definitely put more muscle mass on and not in an alarming short time period. Bryan for similar reasons plus I just can't see him being vegan (which he said he initially did for health reasons (relating to impetigo from rolling)) and being on PEDs. That may not be a GREAT reason, but in my head it just doesn't compute.

StoneColdChris
April 23rd, 2013, 4:48 PM
With as over Bryan is, I don't see whey they don't give him a shot. I'm not saying he should or will become the next Cena or anything, but it couldn't hurt to start actually pushing him as a Main Eventer.

Matty C
April 23rd, 2013, 5:01 PM
Because Cena is more over than HBK and Bret ever were.

How so? I can see arguing his longevity, as he's been on top for a long run at this point but "overness" is a bit blurry. Bret was very over internationally though admittedly off and on in the States. HBK had a very short time where he could concretely be called the guy. Cena is overseeing the largest collapse in WWE history in terms of market share. How does that support him being really over?

Cewsh
April 23rd, 2013, 5:09 PM
Cena is overseeing the largest collapse in WWE history in terms of market share. How does that support him being really over?

Bigger than the 93-96 era? Have any numbers for that?

As for the next big star, I will seriously put all my eggs in one basket here.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/8c2954bc747eefedd2863a460242059b/tumblr_mlnmdvMPeZ1s1vcudo1_250.gif

Vice
April 23rd, 2013, 6:03 PM
WWE wasn't around in 93-96, dumdum.

Kapow.

mth
April 23rd, 2013, 6:10 PM
I would have said Ryback a few months back but eehhhh...they dropped the ball and haven't (and may never) recover it.

Big E. seems like a pretty solid bet. He seems to have everything. I'd still peg Roman Reigns as a potential top guy though he doesn't seem as complete as Big E. yet.

chatty
April 23rd, 2013, 6:17 PM
I think they'll have a patch where several guys trade the top place until they find a guy who can cement himself in the number one spot. If you look back they had Hogan and when he was done they had a few years of trading between Hart, Michaels, Taker and Nash.

Then they found Austin who was only on top for a short period really compared to say hogan or Cena. After him they had a patch with Angle, Jericho, Eddie and Benoit with a few other people dipping in and out. Lesnar could of course have took it but he buggered of and Cena took his spot.

I can see a period with maybes Ziggler, Bryan, Cody and maybes Punk if he's still around or Shield guys going solo trading the place for a few years until someone starts hitting that babyface run.

Judas Iscariot
April 23rd, 2013, 6:23 PM
Dean Ambrose is going to be the top guy and sell more merch than Hogan and Austin combined.

chatty
April 23rd, 2013, 6:24 PM
One of the great advantages they have with no competition is that when Cena goes stale (and I lose the term in regards to the kids) and they stop liking him they can turn him heel, have him stay at the top of the ladder and see who gets the best reaction in opposing him as the main threat - whoever gets the most over will probably get pushed in that role at least for a couple of years.

VHS
April 23rd, 2013, 6:42 PM
Big E. seems like a pretty solid bet. He seems to have everything. I'd still peg Roman Reigns as a potential top guy though he doesn't seem as complete as Big E. yet.

Oh my gosh, yes. As far as the three Shield member go, I'd say Roman was the one I had the least expectations for until he turned himself into a total boss. His look is there, and he looks like he could spear 10 rhinos into oblivion.

chatty
April 23rd, 2013, 6:51 PM
i could see any of Big E, Reigns or Ambrose doing it all depending on the direction the company took. i would say Ambrose is the least likely as he looks set to go the heel route and be psychopathic rather than rebellious face.

Reigns has the look and is improving they done a good thing sticking him in the group he's in as they can all learn on the job whilst covering each others weaknesses. Reigns has the most to do as he isn't great on either the mic or in the ring so he needs to keep working hard and constantly improving. Rollins needs to work on the mic but is quality in the ring and Ambrose is a pretty solid all rounder but needs to find his X Factor under PG hinderance.

Big E still has a way to go in the ring but I think thats why they put him with Ziggler. He's not bad but he hasn't been in long well built matches yet and from a Dolph interview I read he doesn't seem ready for that for a while yet come across as eager to learn so sounded good long term.

I think Bray also has a lot going for him, he's a big monster, can talk and has a unique wrestling style and gimmick - he'll not likely be the face but I think he could hang up and around there for a while.

Cold_Hearted_Truth
April 23rd, 2013, 7:11 PM
Ziggler

And IMO any of Ambrose,Rhodes, Bryan have a better shot at extended stay at the top than Ryback/Big E. If they put someone to speak for Ryback/Big E, maybe things could change.

Ringo
April 23rd, 2013, 7:28 PM
Why are you so sure Big E will need someone to speak for him? He's oozing charisma and has appeared to show he's quite comfortable talking for himself.

I think Ryback is doing fine too in that regard - it's the booking that's the problem. But he doesn't need to speak much anyway.

mth
April 23rd, 2013, 7:36 PM
I do think this heel Ryback thing could work well if they do it right. I want to see him be more of a "just don't give a fuck" douche, where he's just a self-centered, uncaring asshole who is disrespectful and aloof because he knows no one will fuck with him. Not arrogant/cocky so much as just not giving a shit about anyone, if that makes sense, Channel a bit of Bully Ray, maybe.

And yeah, far as I can tell, Big E. seems surprisingly solid on the mic.

Ringo
April 23rd, 2013, 7:45 PM
I do think this heel Ryback thing could work well if they do it right. I want to see him be more of a "just don't give a fuck" douche, where he's just a self-centered, uncaring asshole who is disrespectful and aloof because he knows no one will fuck with him. Not arrogant/cocky so much as just not giving a shit about anyone, if that makes sense, Channel a bit of Bully Ray, maybe.

:yes:

They dropped the ball in a massive way with him after building a lot of momentum and flushing it down the toilet. I'm not yet sure if he's good enough to make things work almost from scratch but he's still got something to offer. Remains to be seen how fans react when/if he does win the title and starts main eventing PPVs. The way they book his character will be a big part of that but of course he'll have to step up and work his ass off.

Can't see him ever being the "Top Guy" though.

kangus
April 23rd, 2013, 7:53 PM
Every time Ryback talks, my brain hurts.

mth
April 23rd, 2013, 8:56 PM
I really wish he'd drop the heavy breathing. It really detracted from that promo last week. Seems a lot of wrestlers think 'heavy breathing = intensity' and yeah, it can add some if it's in the right places but between every sentence is overkill.

Psycho666Soldier
April 23rd, 2013, 9:14 PM
I hate days like this when a great topic of discussion is brought up in the morning RIGHT BEFORE I go to work, and then by the time I get off, there's a ton of long posts to read. I will read them, but for now, on the subject of Punk:

CM Punk has all the talent in the world to be a top guy, except for the fact that the babyface role doesn't work out too well for him. His title run proved that, even if it was probably due to him not being able to 100% be himself when he was the good guy. More importantly, Punk seems to get bored when he's babyface. He loves being the villain, and while I feel he will be, and is essentially on the cusp of becoming the top HEEL of the company, I don't see much room for him at this point to be the main face of the company. He's proven himself to be a star above just about everyone else, though, so there's no doubt he is A top guy in WWE right now, he just won't ever be the John Cena/Hulk Hogan/Austin/Rock of the company. Well, he can be The Rock when Rock was heel.

Cewsh
April 23rd, 2013, 9:32 PM
Punk could easily be to top star of a heel led company. But he'll never be the top star of WWE. He's just not made for it. Has nothing to do with his ability, really.

Kyle_242
April 23rd, 2013, 10:19 PM
So was Ryback's injury back in the Nexus days the best thing that happened to him, career-wise?

Legit question.

Tempest
April 23rd, 2013, 10:35 PM
I remember him as the guy begging for votes on here during Tough Enough and have never taken him seriously since

Kneeneighbor
April 23rd, 2013, 10:53 PM
Yeah he should get his ass back in here and post.

JRSlim21
April 23rd, 2013, 11:03 PM
Face turn Ziggler is my vote. His selling + sympathetic babyface = $$$$$.

Mills
April 24th, 2013, 2:17 AM
He's going to be a JBL/Flair style champ where he seems to eek it out by the skin of his teeth. I love the idea that someone had of Dolph holding it til wrestlemania while Big E has the MITB case at the same time

Rip
April 24th, 2013, 3:17 AM
Can I just say...

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBJ9aeUhcFXVpAoiHC2s6KjG8FBFwsK 463JRHnwQMohBgyUz32Og

And...

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4Y31c3_QgaLmUOJc_ewKBLZF_z1lPu X_7_DCZVrskxO5he9dwbQ

I've found Big Es' Dad!

OD50
April 24th, 2013, 3:36 AM
Punk could easily be to top star of a heel led company. But he'll never be the top star of WWE. He's just not made for it. Has nothing to do with his ability, really.

Punk to TNA, not joking.. A Double, Bobby Roode, Bully Ray, Evil cigarette smoking Jeff Hardy.. TNA ususally has some pretty damn great heel World championship reigns, Punk would do amazing in that role me thinks. His style and personality would work better in a non PG environment too. Honestly, Punk seems kind of down on WWE as of late too, maybe it's just his injuries bugging him, but yeah, I kind of get that feeling every time I hear him talk (on the MMA Hour for example).

Maybe Punk could be the guy that finally moves the needle for TNA. The way Rhino, Christian, Angle, Kennedy, Hardy, Hogan, Sting et all pretty much failed to do.

So was Ryback's injury back in the Nexus days the best thing that happened to him, career-wise?

Legit question.

Yup, yup, yup.

MACE
April 24th, 2013, 3:44 AM
My mate is adamant the future is Corey Graves.

OD50
April 24th, 2013, 3:45 AM
That would infinitely shock me.

Vice
April 24th, 2013, 3:45 AM
Punk loathes TNA because of how they treated him during his run there many many years ago. If he leaves WWE, I think he'd go back to ROH or Japan before even thinking about TNA.

OD50
April 24th, 2013, 3:52 AM
TNA isn't really the same company it was in 2004 and he can't hold a grudge for so long about something so pedestrian could he? Lots of guys has patched things up with promotors over way worse things in the past. Or maybe he could still hold that grudge, what do I know.. :dunno:

What kind of money could he make in ROH these days though? Probably not even 1% of what TNA would shell out for him. TNA would be mongs not to offer him a Sting/Hogan type deal, I think he could do really good things for them.

Oh, and once again just to be on-topic..

Reigns.

...No, not Luther Reigns.

Ringo
April 24th, 2013, 4:10 AM
My mate is adamant the future is Corey Graves.

HEY SHIELD, it's GRAVES.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/2d6e4e839aa1d07b440ec9b9d9f6c1e2/tumblr_mg3seoeLIH1rtpf4ro1_500.gif

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-cOP7rMqv86M/UWcPpXFwLNI/AAAAAAABPZs/3_26H6mDKew/s1600/4-11-2013+3-31-43+PM.jpg

OD50
April 24th, 2013, 4:12 AM
No, just no..

Maybe it's just me but I think people are seeing waay too much in Corey Graves.

Ringo
April 24th, 2013, 4:15 AM
Stay.

Down.

OD50
April 24th, 2013, 4:16 AM
He has a reverse tramp stamp ffs..

Rip
April 24th, 2013, 4:17 AM
So...

The future is Vanilla Ice?

Oh ffs...

OD50
April 24th, 2013, 4:20 AM
Could be wrong but I don't ever see Graves going past where Cesaro, Barrett, Sandow, Cody etc are right now in WWE.

Badger
April 24th, 2013, 4:21 AM
Punk pulls off the homeless-looking, tattooed gimmick much better.

Rip
April 24th, 2013, 4:23 AM
Could be wrong but I don't ever see Graves going past where Cesaro, Barrett, Sandow, Cody etc are right now in WWE.

I think you mean Santino, Ryder, DiBiase, A-Ry etc...

Ringo
April 24th, 2013, 4:24 AM

I don't expect him to ever get that far. I'd be happy if he went as far as the Prime Time Players tbh. Think it's a bit odd that someone would pick him for this topic.

Badger
April 24th, 2013, 4:27 AM
Pancake Patterson is where the money is.

McBain
April 24th, 2013, 4:30 AM
I can see Ziggler being a huge deal, but not quite the face of the company.

D-Bry will be back in the main event before too long, but will never be more than a Jericho/Angle/Benoit type in my opinion. Which I'm sure he'd be more than happy with, it's ideal for him.

Really not seen enough of Big E to know whether he's cut up for it, but gotta agree that it's disappointing what has been done with Ryback. The failure to pull the trigger on him may end up being one of the biggest "what ifs" of the modern era. Not doing so has led to the loss of much of his mystique, which was one of his biggest assets ala Ultimate Warrior.

OD50
April 24th, 2013, 4:30 AM
Well, at least no one has said Bo Rotundo yet, right?

If Bray Wyatt doesn't go far in WWE there is absolutely no justice in the world of wre.. sports entertainment. That epic fat bearded lad is amazing.

Of course he will never be the guy, but he's the perfect evil foil for whoever it will be.

Badger
April 24th, 2013, 4:40 AM
I'm sure it won't be too long before Bray and Ohno are called up.

Bo is the worst thing to happen to NXT, shame that IRS couldn't get it right with both kids.

Rip
April 24th, 2013, 5:05 AM
As long as they don't mess with the character he has now Wyatt can be a top class heel for many, many years to come.

I hear a lot of people talk about Ohno but for me he's missing something, even in his feud with Regal I just kept waiting for the shift of gears which for me never came.

chatty
April 24th, 2013, 6:24 AM
I can see Graves having a Jamie Noble like WWE career. Solid guy who can have a few decent lower card feuds but ultimately isn't made for the company and will disappear.

Cewsh
April 24th, 2013, 9:30 AM
No, just no..

Maybe it's just me but I think people are seeing waay too much in Corey Graves.

100% agree.

lotjx
April 24th, 2013, 9:31 AM
As long as Cena is there with the part timers, there is no one who they will give that spot to.

Matty C
April 24th, 2013, 9:51 AM
Bigger than the 93-96 era? Have any numbers for that?

WWE wasn't around in 93-96, dumdum.

Kapow.

Although Vice has already defeated you, I will answer as well. :lol:

It’s tough to quantify if that’s where you’re going with this, I agree. Name change aside they really are a totally different company now. In 1993 Raw was in it’s infancy as the first real first run weekly programming that the WWF had ever had. House shows were a massive part of business revenue and there weren’t nearly as many PPVs. You ask for numbers but I’m not spending hours looking up specifics. Domestic house revenue had to be down, mainstream exposure was certainly down. SNME basically folded. It was a down time, no doubt.

With that said, exposure was already trending down in terms of the mainstream with Hogan having cooled off considerably from his late 80s peak. Just look at them having to change arenas for WM 7. Bret inherited a bit of a mess and it can be argued that although he clearly lacked the charisma of Hogan or even Savage, the US was also just worn out on wrestling at the time. Still, Raw managed to find a foothold, WWF managed to expand their PPV offering and international events stayed strong.

When Cena came along the company had totally changed. They had at least 3 first run weekly programs running at the time if I remember correctly, two of them were doing decently well. There was a slew of PPVs in place. They relied less on house show revenue, though it was, and still is, obviously important. The same argument can be made in terms of him inheriting a mess. Things were trending down before he officially took the reins. The guy WWE expected to carry the torch after Austin unexpectedly left (Rock). Still, since he took centre stage PPV revenue has dropped in what, like half? Smackdown basically was lost. Raw became a cable TV after thought. And mainstream exposure, despite the nice WWE vignettes pumping themselves all the time, is practically nil. This isn’t all Cena’s fault there are many, many factors in the drop in business not to mention the total shift in the way people consume media over the last 5 years or so. Still, going from the level of exposure and success they were having to start the 2000’s, to where they are now which is very much niche market stuff, is a massive drop-off. I would honestly see it as having fallen farther than they did during the mid-90s even though the company, from a dollars and cents standpoint, is obviously far better off. Whether his fault or not, that’s under his reign as the indisputable top guy.

In the end though my comment was meant to be regarding overness and I think that ties in with my last point. People’s attention is split 700 different ways today. Back in ’93 Bret and Shawn were at least as well known and “over” as Cena. Guys like Austin, Rock and Hogan are in totally different leagues. I don’t get why people seem to think he’s more Hogan/Austin than Bret/HBK, obvious personal bias aside.

OD50
April 24th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Don't forget the sex, roidz and rock n' roll, that's one of the things that came very close to killing off the WWF.

I think people mean that Cena is the guy, just as Hogan, Austin and Bruno were. HBK and Bret on the other hand were on top until the real guy Vince were looking for came around. Punk is kind of like Sting or Savage, he will get his stints on top but will never be Vince's true guy as long as Cena is around, just as Hogan and Flair back in the 80's and 90's were the real man on top even if Savage, Warrior or Sting held the title.

The Law
April 24th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Regarding business drop-offs, they definitely took a bigger hit in the 1993 range than when Cena took over. I feel like business has largely been flat with Cena on top. The big drop-off was in the 2001-2003 range. PPV buys have declined, but that's a combination of higher prices and a general decline in the PPV market.

Okay, so it's a little complicated. I compared 2004 to 2007. I did this because 2004 was the year before they put Cena on top, but 2007 was the year they dumped brand exclusive PPVs and Cena was in the main event of every show up until he got hurt.

In 2004, they grossed an inflation-adjusted $200 million on PPV. In 2007, they grossed an inflation-adjusted $233 million. The catch is that they ran 15 pay-per-views in 2007 and only 14 in 2004. So once you break it down to revenue per show, 2004 did $14,285,000 and 2007 did $15,558,000. Straight-up better business. Last year their revenue was $182 million. That was actually an increase from the previous year. This is all much more complicated than one guy. It involves changes to technology, the overall state of the product and popularity of wrestling, and various other factors. But it's still really interesting.

Bluegunn
April 24th, 2013, 12:24 PM
I am predicting that the man to be the Top guy next is not even on the roster yet. So I am going with Adam "Big O" David. I see him signing with WWE in the future

BBF
April 24th, 2013, 2:03 PM
HEY SHIELD, it's GRAVES.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/2d6e4e839aa1d07b440ec9b9d9f6c1e2/tumblr_mg3seoeLIH1rtpf4ro1_500.gif

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-cOP7rMqv86M/UWcPpXFwLNI/AAAAAAABPZs/3_26H6mDKew/s1600/4-11-2013+3-31-43+PM.jpg

Who's this cunt and where can I see more of him?

Ringo
April 24th, 2013, 2:17 PM
Only on NXT, the best show WWE has to offer!

BBF
April 24th, 2013, 2:27 PM
Is he good? He looks good. Tell me he's good, Ringding.

Ringo
April 24th, 2013, 2:32 PM
He DOES look good so I've decided he's good.

In reality he's probably not that good.

[He has over 13 years experience on the indies (including ROH) but has never really achieved much. I remember he used to have a bit of a reputation as a poor man's Punk. But let's be honest - a poor man's Punk isn't all that bad.]

BBF
April 24th, 2013, 2:54 PM
He's good.

Ringo
April 24th, 2013, 3:01 PM

BBF
April 24th, 2013, 3:07 PM
I've literally done no other research into him but I value your opinion on him that much. Plus we normally like the same things (disregarding football teams) so I'll take it as gospel.

chatty
April 24th, 2013, 4:31 PM
I like his finisher. It looks boss.

OD50
April 24th, 2013, 4:33 PM
Yeah, that's one thing I do like about him. What's it called, the 13th step or something..

Only on NXT, the best show WWE has to offer!

:yesyes:

chatty
April 24th, 2013, 4:35 PM
I'm still not sure what his gimmick is though, evil teddyboy?

Ringo
April 24th, 2013, 4:39 PM
Certified bad ass.

OD50
April 24th, 2013, 4:40 PM
Looks like some bad boy straight out of Beverly Hills 90210. That or a Tommy Lee wannabe.

Ringo
April 24th, 2013, 4:45 PM
Just you wait, OD! I SHALL be quoting you when Graves is headlining Wrestlemania a couple of years from now.

OD50
April 24th, 2013, 4:52 PM
Well, as long as it's opposite Big Bray I wouldn't mind it all that much. :cool:

Ringo
April 24th, 2013, 4:55 PM
I have high hopes for Bray but do worry a bit that his look might actually get in the way of his progress. He's unique, the complete opposite of his brother, but it was Bo that got the nod for the Rumble spot despite being younger, blander and generally shittier.

VHS
April 24th, 2013, 5:14 PM
What worries me about guys like Bray and Graves is what happens when they debut on the main roster? Will they retain their original gimmicks and keep their edge, or will they start from square one? Big E debuted and while he has been doing fine lately, he doesn't have the same edge that allowed him to get over in NXT. His charisma and interaction with the crowd was intense, but he just being used as a lackey.

chatty
April 24th, 2013, 5:21 PM
I think they want Big E to ease his way in, he's not the finished product so theyve put him with a veteran to further his education. I digged his NXT gimmick though, I suppose they can go back to that (in an evolved sort of way) if they want to down the road though.

Rollins turned differently to his NXT character as well but thats worked out great so far.

I've been impressed with how they've handled the NXT guys so far. Bo was crap but he is anyway so not much they can do with him. Worst guy on the entire roster imo.

Ringo
April 24th, 2013, 5:29 PM
What worries me about guys like Bray and Graves is what happens when they debut on the main roster? Will they retain their original gimmicks and keep their edge, or will they start from square one? Big E debuted and while he has been doing fine lately, he doesn't have the same edge that allowed him to get over in NXT. His charisma and interaction with the crowd was intense, but he just being used as a lackey.

Disagree. The 5 count gimmick got over quickly in NXT but he was a face. He's been called up as a heel and despite being in the background as Ziggler's muscle he has been afforded the opportunity to actually speak, team up with Ziggler and play a part in the angles - they are already apparently building towards a face turn anyway, when he will finally get tired of putting up with Ziggler and AJ's nauseating relationship and destroy them.

ReDPath
April 24th, 2013, 5:39 PM
Hogan and Flair are still kicking and ticking.

Gonna say Cena will be the next top guy for next ish......25-30 years easy.

Cena will be main eventing Mania 50.

Cewsh
April 24th, 2013, 6:37 PM
Big E debuted and while he has been doing fine lately, he doesn't have the same edge that allowed him to get over in NXT. His charisma and interaction with the crowd was intense, but he just being used as a lackey.

That's all they want him to do right now. So long as he has it when they give him the green light, he'll go all the way.

Vice
April 24th, 2013, 6:45 PM
Case in point, Batista.

OVW:
http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/pictures/b/batista/07.jpg

WWE:
http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/pictures/b/batista/12.jpg

http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/pictures/b/batista/11.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VrvBAzZ.gif

http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/pictures/b/batista/23.jpg

Ringo
April 24th, 2013, 6:47 PM

Best transformation. Ziggler's is pretty great too.

Kerwin White's caddy -> 4th most talked about Spirit Squad member -> "Hi I'm Dolph Ziggler" guy -> PERFECTION

Tainted Eclipse
April 24th, 2013, 8:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/VrvBAzZ.gif

man, those couple months going into wrestlemania have to be some of the best star-making booking of all time with batistia. if theres not a youtube anthology of it right now, which i am about to find out, there needs to be immediately.

McBain
April 24th, 2013, 8:27 PM
The look on Flair's face is gold. :D

Vice
April 24th, 2013, 8:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kdc7ts7umg

AWESOME video package right at the start that shows off the great booking.

Hero!
April 24th, 2013, 8:43 PM
Corey Graves has an awesome look. I'm all for calling up more dudes with full tattoo sleeves and a look of "IDGAF".

To me, the next top guy is Dean Ambrose. I know people are putting their money on Reigns, but big Dean has got the mic skills to be the jake/raven of our generation. Just wait till he breaks out on his own and starts doing crazy boiler room brawls and house of fun matches.

ps. bring back boiler room brawls.

Kyle_242
April 24th, 2013, 9:23 PM
And bra & panty matches.

Hero!
April 24th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Brawl & panty boiler room brawls

Psycho666Soldier
April 24th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Brawl & panty boiler room brawls

What about Brawl IN Panties. The male wrestlers, that is.

mr sabu
April 24th, 2013, 10:32 PM
el generico after he's formed and finished a tag team with shale helms

and arctic rescue ant

Atty
April 24th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Ziggler could make for the next top face. Well, maybe not next, but in the near future. He's over with crowds and he's one of those guys where, once they pull the trigger on the turn, he could just take off to an entirely different level. He reminds me a lot of young Shawn before he went face.

Bryan should be the guy. Punk too.

Psycho666Soldier
April 24th, 2013, 11:05 PM
I really thing Bryan has a lot more going for him that could push him past that Jericho/Benoit/Guerrero level. He has the ability to get over with the crowd like it's no other man's business. He is fucking EXCELLENT in the ring and you could hardly argue for anyone else on the roster, or even in the country, being better between those ropes. He has charisma that just gets better as he goes on. While Jericho did have a lot of this, in the new era eventually coming, I see Bryan being a huge deal. I doubt he's going anywhere, and he'll continue to give it his all, so I feel he actually has loads of potential to be one of the next Top Guys.

In the least, he'd be lucky to be a part of an era where it's kind of hard to pick one "top guy", sort of like Rock, Austin, and to an extent Triple H, who all had their "top" moments(Trips a bit later) in a similar era and shared a bit of spotlight.

That said, he would probably be more like The Rock to Austin, or even Triple H to both. Not quite the top, but you know he's a big fucking deal. Jericho or any of the other guys comparable to his level never quite got THAT far.

Beer-Belly
April 24th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Ziggler could make for the next top face. Well, maybe not next, but in the near future. He's over with crowds and he's one of those guys where, once they pull the trigger on the turn, he could just take off to an entirely different level. He reminds me a lot of young Shawn before he went face.

Bryan should be the guy. Punk too.
Ziggler definitely has the potential. I recently got one of my buddies hooked on wrestling partially because he dug Ziggler so much.

MichaelC
April 25th, 2013, 5:42 AM
I could certainly see Bryan reach the Bret Hart/Punk level of success, Psycho.

Big E is the man. Only that warning voice in the back of my head that says "Remember Mike Knox?" makes me doubt he'll be a major star one day.

Reigns will be the biggest star from the Shield.

And the guy who replaces Cena probably wont even have signed with FCW yet.

Cewsh
April 25th, 2013, 10:51 AM
In fairness, I was baffled that anyone thought that Mike Knox might actually ever be a big star. His look was all wrong for WWE.

Mills
April 25th, 2013, 11:25 AM
A man can dream..... :(

Hotbeef-Injection
April 25th, 2013, 11:49 AM
I don't think anyone today will get close to Cena in the next 2 years or so. There are guys who will be in the Hart/HBK/Jericho bracket, but nobody new is getting the Austin/Rock/Hogan bracket anytime soon.

I don't think Langston has shown anything close to the potential people see in him. He's got presence sure, but has his mic or ring work shone through in any way? Not really. Personality? Again, nothing beyond the role he's played (and played well, I should add). I just think we should see more of him before declaring him the next big thing. I personally think Roman Reigns has shown more. But I am a Shield fanboy, so I would say that.

Bryan will be the next Jericho I think. Over, putting on the best match on the card on a monthly basis, getting the championship a few times, but never being 'the man'.

Cewsh
April 25th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Do you watch NXT?

Kimura Kid
April 25th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I do watch NXT and I think the World of Langston and see a ton of potential in him. But I hate to be the guy to say this because I am the farthest thing from racist but are we really considering that WWE Would push an African American as the "Top Guy"??

I'm all for it and think it's long overdue but I just cannot fathom WWE making that decision.

Ringo
April 25th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Yeah, was going to say. He's got something but he is somewhat short and definitely black.

Cewsh
April 25th, 2013, 12:53 PM
I think they absolutely would. They were 100% going for it with Lashley. If he'll make money, I have zero doubts that they would go with anyone.

Kyle_242
April 25th, 2013, 1:05 PM
I'll turn off my TV in disgust though.

Rip
April 25th, 2013, 1:08 PM
I think his biggest problem would be his height, I can see Vince having a fit about the new face of the company being 4'6

Cewsh
April 25th, 2013, 1:09 PM
He's the same height as Cena, isn't he?

Rip
April 25th, 2013, 1:11 PM
:dunno:

His problem is he looks short though, some people look taller than they are (Jericho) but others seem to shrink at times, sadly he falls into that group which won't help him.

Ringo
April 25th, 2013, 1:15 PM
I guess he's not that short, his body shape just makes it look that way. Looks comparable to Ryback in height here. I picture him as being shorter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5O5Deq3Qus

Also, I miss Barrett on commentary. Who would call their kid "BIG E."?!

VHS
April 25th, 2013, 1:20 PM
I miss Alex Riley. :(

And I think it would be tremendously cool if Barrett was a commentator and wrestler right now. :yes:

Rip
April 25th, 2013, 1:21 PM
I think it's because his entire body is 'thick' he's got such a powerful build it sort of tricks the eye.

Barrett really should be in the World Title hunt, he has to be one of the best examples of a badly timed injury.

Ringo
April 25th, 2013, 1:22 PM
Just another victim of WWE's obsession with calling up wrestlers when they clearly aren't ready. He did so well with Miz, then they realised he was green as shit in the ring and gave up.

MichaelC
April 25th, 2013, 1:24 PM
In fairness, I was baffled that anyone thought that Mike Knox might actually ever be a big star. His look was all wrong for WWE.

I was surrounded, SURROUNDED by Fort Knox fans. A mod who will remain nameless (but whose name starts with m) actually made me sit and watch lots of Mike Knox matches in the guise of him getting pushed on Smackdown and wanting someone to watch the show with...

(He wasn't actually all that bad, and could have been a useful midcard type...but top guy, never.)

I guess he's not that short, his body shape just makes it look that way. Looks comparable to Ryback in height here. I picture him as being shorter.

Also, I miss Barrett on commentary. Who would call their kid "BIG E."?!

Mrs E. :D

MichaelC
April 25th, 2013, 1:25 PM
Alex Riley's career highlight was falling out of the ring by accident and eliminating himself from the 2011 Rumble.

Ringo
April 25th, 2013, 1:30 PM
Mike Knox's sadistic doctor gimmick had potential. Him beating the shit out of Rey every week was right up my street. He had some good brawls with various other hard men too. But I don't think he was ever really going to rise above a certain level.

mth
April 25th, 2013, 1:45 PM
Regarding Knox, what Ringo said. And it ticked me off that he had two feuds with Finlay where he lost every match and a feud with Kane that did him no favors.

The Law
April 25th, 2013, 1:48 PM
The race issue is interesting. Obviously, WWE's racial history is not great, as they have had a number of stereotypical and overtly racist gimmicks over the years. The Rock is half African-American, and he was basically a top guy in WWE (in 2000 was Austin was out). Had he stuck around, there's no doubt he would have been the guy for a solid decade. Booker T was a world champion, although treating him as a success story is definitely complicated by the Triple H race angle. Mark Henry was a world champion, but he was also subjected to racial taunts from Michael Hayes, who remains employed by the company.

Here's what's changed: the growth in their fan-base and the general population growth in this country and this world isn't white. Their next big market is probably China, so I would expect an Chinese or at least Asian (or Asian-American) wrestler to make a big impact in the next few years. Since Eddie in 2004 they've had a position of "Hispanic top guy" that went from Eddie to Rey to Del Rio. The ethnic champion is an old tradition in wrestling that kind of got phased out in the 1980s when the companies started competing nationally rather than regionally and needed to appeal to a broader audience. I'm not sure what percentage of WWE's fanbase is African-American, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were a potential growth market. I agree that they were going to all the way with Lashley. I don't think he had the mojo to overtake Cena, but they definitely would have given it a try.

Overall, I don't see Big E's race as an impediment and I think it's potentially an asset. Most of their growth in the next few years is generally going to come from places other than America, so it wouldn't be surprising if the roster became even more diverse in the next few years.

OD50
April 25th, 2013, 2:31 PM
Just another victim of WWE's obsession with calling up wrestlers when they clearly aren't ready. He did so well with Miz, then they realised he was green as shit in the ring and gave up.

Speaking of which...

-

It's acknowledged within WWE that several wrestlers on the NXT roster belong on
WWE's main roster but Triple H has been particular about having long-term plans ready for new call-ups when they make it to TV.

If true it's just one more reason behind-the-scenes Trips is awesome.

Andy
April 25th, 2013, 2:33 PM
Like Lashley, Big E has a very weird shaped head. Lashley looks like a weird alien and Big E has tiny eyes and a massive forehead.

OD50
April 25th, 2013, 2:35 PM
Big E looks way too much like Carlton Banks for me to take him seriously. He should grow a manly beard and shave his head.

Ringo
April 25th, 2013, 2:39 PM
If true it's just one more reason behind-the-scenes Trips is awesome.

Yeah definitely. The last few call ups (Sandow, Cesaro, Shield, Maddox and Langston) are all either noticably further along than previous call ups or have been deliberately given something to work with that can also hide their inexperience (Reigns, Langston). Just hope they don't have The Shield split up or Big E turn on Ziggler any time soon. I don't think they're ready to go at it alone just yet.

OD50
April 25th, 2013, 2:46 PM
It's the old school way of booking inexperienced guys. If he's green as a worker put him in a tag-team/stable or make him a bodyguard of some kind. If he's green on the mic hook him up with a mouthpiece/manager.

For a while it felt like WWE just took new guys and threw them to the wolves to either sink or swim.

VHS
April 25th, 2013, 2:58 PM
Mason Ryan *cough*

Ringo
April 25th, 2013, 3:02 PM
To be fair they did it with Ryan as well but he was forced to go at it alone too soon as well. Why they couldn't have found someone else to have him act as muscle for I don't know.

Rancid_Planet
April 25th, 2013, 4:54 PM
Cody Rhodes could be unstoppable if they ever paid any attention to him. For god's sake the man's gimmick is "I have a mustache" and he makes it WORK! Time for a face turn too. I'm sure many don't see much there as a face concerning Cody but that Rhodes DNA is just too charasmatic for it not to work.

VHS
April 25th, 2013, 5:09 PM
Cody as a face would definitely rock our worlds, especially as a naturally edgy and cocky face that's able to handle himself in any situation. I can't remember the last time we saw Cody caught in the headlights where he came off as a total rookie, nor can I even imagine he's ever looked that way at all. He's one of the younger folks that I believe could be banked on... once we get out of this Ryback/Cena/Orton/Sheamus shlock.

Beer-Belly
April 25th, 2013, 5:32 PM
Except Sheamus is the shit.

Cewsh
April 25th, 2013, 5:36 PM
once we get out of this Ryback/Cena/Orton/Sheamus shlock.

I can't think of any time in wrestling history that a guy like Cody Rhodes has ever been pushed over a guy like John Cena.

G-Fresh
April 25th, 2013, 6:02 PM
I liked Cody until he decided that growing a Freddy Mercury stache would help his career.

Hotbeef-Injection
April 25th, 2013, 6:23 PM
Yeah and Langston has been decent for sure but has he really shown 'top guy' potential? I mean genuinely shown that he's got the total package? (No Lugar jokes).

Cewsh
April 25th, 2013, 6:25 PM
In NXT he absolutely did, I feel.

G-Fresh
April 25th, 2013, 6:30 PM
His finisher is lame. Other than that he is a monster in training.

Ringo
April 25th, 2013, 6:32 PM
Watch Langston/Maddox from this week's NXT. The man is pretty magnetic.

Hotbeef-Injection
April 25th, 2013, 6:40 PM
I think there are better ring workers in NXT than Langston for sure, and guys like The Shield, Cesaro, Ohno and Wyatt are newcomers I prefer to watch in the ring, and even on the mic. Langston to me has shown he has magnetism, as Ringo said, and he's certainly got the raw strength to impress. He could be a Hogan-like main eventer who doesn't put on great matches but has the charisma to be a top guy, but I'm in no rush to declare him the next best thing. Ahmed Johnson took WWF by storm when he first turned up and look what happened to him.

MichaelC
April 25th, 2013, 7:06 PM
Sheamus is awesome.

I can't think of any time in wrestling history that a guy like Cody Rhodes has ever been pushed over a guy like John Cena.

Remember all those times David Sammartino went over Hogan?

(OMG is going to murder me when he sees this one. :D)

chatty
April 25th, 2013, 8:04 PM

He doesn't really have to be pushed over those types, he can have his bits at the top and inevitably they will come back stronger but he should defo be pushed as a main event player in the next couple of years. He's my bet to win MITB this year so maybes he'll get his change some time 2014.

One Man Gang
April 25th, 2013, 9:12 PM
Remember all those times David Sammartino went over Hogan?

(OMG is going to murder me when he sees this one. :D)

Look at Michael bating me. :p

It feels like Rhodes has been around forever because since his debut in the summer of 2007, he hasn't really been taken off television. Guys like Sheamus, Daniel Bryan, Alberto Del Rio, and Jack Swagger have debuted after Rhodes in the WWE and won the big one. Of course they have more total time in the business and are older/were older when they won the heavyweight championship.

It took Bret Hart from 1984 to 1992 to win the title and Michaels from 1988 to 1996. So eight years. Of course this was back when there weren't two world championships. :(

Surely he is next in line over the next year or two...

One Man Gang
April 25th, 2013, 9:20 PM
And Ziggler (God bless his soul) didn't really debut as a normal superstar until about the end of 2008 having just taken a 2 year hiatus in development after finishing his spirit squad extra gig and caddy adventure from what I recall.

This is depressing me now.

How many Rhodes must Cody walk down, before you can call him world champ?

virms
April 25th, 2013, 9:39 PM
I liked Cody until he decided that growing a Freddy Mercury stache would help his career.

It has helped him quite a bit honestly.

I mean Cody's career has been nothing but side objects causing fan outrage/love

Kneepads.
Stache.

Mills
April 25th, 2013, 10:48 PM
You forgot the evil facemask

Psycho666Soldier
April 25th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Cody is a man who is waiting for his next big break. He's had multiple opportunities with strong exposure and compelling storylines. But WWE never went all the way with him. That doesn't necessarily mean give him a world championship, but a few shots would have been interesting. Test him. His IC Title reign was great except they bungled it with bad pay-off(though WM was a decent one). Couple that with a reign that had a minimum of defenses, it just shows how WWE gives him the ball, he runs with it, then they just kind of meander with him.

One day, he'll break out, and prove his glimpses of genius are actually the best star-making qualities.

Mills
April 26th, 2013, 12:04 AM
You can't wait for someone to hand you an opportunity, gotta grab it and keep going... unless your name is Zack Ryder.

Cody had some flashes of potential, but I don't know if he'll ever break away from the ceiling that he's firmly under, he doesn't seem to have that "it" that people are drawn to. He's a solid hand, but so was Val Venis, Lance Storm and other solid midcard wrestlers. Sorry to say it, but his star is fading

Psycho666Soldier
April 26th, 2013, 12:07 AM
You can't wait for someone to hand you an opportunity, gotta grab it and keep going... unless your name is Zack Ryder.

Cody had some flashes of potential, but I don't know if he'll ever break away from the ceiling that he's firmly under, he doesn't seem to have that "it" that people are drawn to. He's a solid hand, but so was Val Venis, Lance Storm and other solid midcard wrestlers. Sorry to say it, but his star is fading

I don't agree with that. He was running strong with whatever he was doing in his final IC reign, and they killed it and made him fall off for a while. His deal with Rhodes Scholars is good, but it's good for the tag division, not the individuals.

That being said, I don't think he'll be THE top guy, or even a major top guy, but he will get the world title and do something good with it. He'll either be a fleeting star who sticks around, or he'll prove he's one of the top players who you can rely on for entertainment.

Mills
April 26th, 2013, 12:14 AM
I'm sorry you don't agree, but if he was truly running with it and being a star, they wouldn't have killed his IC reign. They gave him a fairly big angle for Wrestlemania with Big Show and they had the reinvention of the IC title under his reign, but the fans still are apathetic towards him. I'd argue that Sandow gets a better reaction then Rhodes does from the fans.

Psycho666Soldier
April 26th, 2013, 12:23 AM
I'm sorry you don't agree, but if he was truly running with it and being a star, they wouldn't have killed his IC reign. They gave him a fairly big angle for Wrestlemania with Big Show and they had the reinvention of the IC title under his reign, but the fans still are apathetic towards him. I'd argue that Sandow gets a better reaction then Rhodes does from the fans.

It could be argued. Perhaps he isn't always a stand-out, but the reason the fans got so apathetic is because the booking was terrible. He had strong reactions during his IC title reign. The Big Show angle was rather good, and then they had him lost to Christian unceremoniously and hardly gave him anything to do. If he isn't doing anything, how is he supposed to shine?

I will admit he has floundered most opportunities mic-wise as a part of this tag team, but I feel Sandow isn't quite as good either under the tag guise. Again, both guys do better on their own.

Somewhat on topic, Damien Sandow is someone who has loads of potential to be a top villain 3-5 years from now. Let him crush the midcard division for a couple years before taking the main event by storm.

Mills
April 26th, 2013, 12:35 AM
I was at a smackdown where he and Big Show were going at it verbally, and Big Show owned him. I've never been the biggest Show fan, but he usually isn't a verbal wunderkund. As for the end of his reign, he lost to Christian, which is more about Christian rushing back too soon from injury, and went nowhere.

Like I said, Rhodes has shown some signs of potential greatness, but I can't see myself spending my money to watch Rhodes wrestle, let alone watch a face give him his comeuppance. Solid mid card help, sure, but not a star.

mth
April 26th, 2013, 1:07 AM
...what happened to you Mills? You used to be cool. I mean, you were in Fort Knox and everything...

Kdestiny
April 26th, 2013, 1:20 AM
The Rock

Mills
April 26th, 2013, 1:23 AM
were? WERE? WERE????

Mills
April 26th, 2013, 1:25 AM
Whose name is at the top of the Fort Knox membership?

mth
April 26th, 2013, 10:33 AM
I could edit your signature if I wanted to.

One Man Gang
April 26th, 2013, 4:11 PM
I was at a smackdown where he and Big Show were going at it verbally, and Big Show owned him. I've never been the biggest Show fan, but he usually isn't a verbal wunderkund. As for the end of his reign, he lost to Christian, which is more about Christian rushing back too soon from injury, and went nowhere.

Like I said, Rhodes has shown some signs of potential greatness, but I can't see myself spending my money to watch Rhodes wrestle, let alone watch a face give him his comeuppance. Solid mid card help, sure, but not a star.

Rhodes had the best line on RAW just a few weeks ago yelling at Hornswoggle. Also didn't you read his response to which celebrity he'd want wrestle? It was amazing. He's not verbally deficient. Just needs the writers/creative to pay attention to him.

Not saying he's the next Cena/Austin/Hogan or anything, but he is due for the main event.

Edit his sig, mth!

Kimura Kid
April 26th, 2013, 4:20 PM
OMG

New Avatar Idea
http://i42.tinypic.com/33ojksm.jpg

MACE
April 27th, 2013, 8:25 AM
Everyone knows that Graves is Vader's son, yeah.....?

Kimura Kid
April 27th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Jake Carter is Vaders son, Not Graves.

MACE
April 27th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Well well. You learn something new everyday. I just assumed it was Graves as it looks like he has a huge Vader tattoo on his right arm.
EDIT: its Vader-looking. In a weird way.
http://corey-graves.net/photos/displayimage.php?album=7&pid=384#top_display_media

Kyle_242
April 27th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Every time I read this thread title, I keep expecting Tyra Banks to tell us.

MMH
April 27th, 2013, 1:23 PM

I think you are spot on there. Hes a guy who could step into a main event feud at some point in the future but I cant see him being a main event guy. Thats Ok though, not everyone can be.