PDA

View Full Version : Trance

Slare
April 18th, 2013, 7:42 AM
Anyone saw this?

Went to see it last night. Usually a massive massive fan of Boyle (The Beach and 28 weeks later are two of my favourite films) and his style, but I left this thinking - I dunno - it was a bit of him just waving his directorial cock about a bit.
The story went from intruiging and engrossing to just being a bit convoluted for the sake of it with one too many red herrings thrown in. It was immense in style, cinematography and soundtrack, but it just seemed like there was too much going on at times - like it was trying to be three or four different films at once with Boyle lumping on all his trademarks on top of it.
That being said, I was never bored and genuinely really enjoyed the final act. It was by no means a bad film - the three leads were all tremendous - but it just seemed a bit much I guess.

Anyway, thoughts?

Mik
April 18th, 2013, 8:40 AM
I saw it and enjoyed it. I agree that it was a bit over the top. But it seems like the type of thing a genuinely top director would be likely to do after having won an Oscar and then directed the Olympics thing, ie just a big fun mess. I do think the choice of what Danny Boyle got his new girlfriend to do in the film was a bit odd, but I did like it.

Slare
April 19th, 2013, 7:48 AM
A 'big fun mess' is actually a great way to describe it. It's like a horrible B Movie about a heist with some stellar acting and a bit of whackiness thrown in all over the place.

I did love the actual reveal at the end and just remembered after posting yesterday that there had been a small hint to it in one of her previous therapy sessions, which was fairly well done. I thought the whole love affiar with Cassel was a bit out of nowhere and didn't make much sense, but I guess they needed it for the final scene.

Mik
April 30th, 2013, 6:52 AM
I think it was one of those films that probably wont hold up all that well during repeat viewings and I was annoyed at the amount of third person exposition they felt the need to give to Rosario Dawson towards the end.

But hey, it was good daft fun.

Slare
April 30th, 2013, 7:04 AM
Yeah that's a fair point actually. Her back story and the whole "and the lady did x,y,z" came a bit out of nowhere and was a tad overpowering towards the end. Like it felt like something that would've made more sense being revealed gradually as the film went on, but for some reason they were busy establishing a sexual relationship between her and Cassell. AlsoI'll never complain about seeing a vagina but the whole shaved art clean fanny thing felt completely tacked on for no reason.