PDA

View Full Version : The 'Movies That Dont Justify a Thread' Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Mik
April 18th, 2013, 6:47 AM
So a few people wanted a thread where they can just do a one-off post about an older film they've seen, or a film that might not justify its own thread.

I dont want this to be a ramble thread of a catch all thread that everyone uses to post brief film reviews. If you want to talk about a new film, please post a thread for it...other people might want to discuss it too. But if you want to leave your thoughts on something that you've seen that you dont think anyone else will be interested in, then go ahead.

takerson
April 22nd, 2013, 1:39 AM
So American Psycho is awesome. I'd love to discuss it if anybody wants to.

Here's the amazing and legendary "Do You Like Huey Lewis and The News?" Scene from American Psycho...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzN3qO-qc8U

Annnnnd the parody starring Huey Lewis himself and Weird Al. It's GREAT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk15H6PjBis

Kdestiny
April 22nd, 2013, 1:52 AM
I must say I am a sucker for some of the more recent RomComs. I think my top three movies are Silver Linings Playbook, Perks of Being a Wallflower, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

That's okay, right? :happysad:

takerson
April 22nd, 2013, 2:07 AM
That's NOT okay. :lol:

Haven't seen any of those so can't say. :/

I know a good recent romantic comedy was Hope Springs. I liked that one.

Judas Iscariot
April 22nd, 2013, 2:33 AM
Silver Linings Playbook and Eternal Sunshine are incredible films and I don't think they fit the RomCom description at all. They're just great fucking films that everyone ought to see. The fact that they involve a dude and a chick on some level should have nothing to do with it with how good everything else about them is.

When I think RomCom I think of those stupid fucking movies. You know the ones I'm talking about. How To Lose A Guy In Ten Days and stupid shit like that.

takerson, take it upon yourself to watch the two above mentioned films. They're fucking great.

I haven't seen Perks. I haven't read it, either. It was assigned in high school and I hated everyone who read it and went "OMG Perks!" because it wasn't assigned to my upper level ninja-level high school courses. I should read and watch it though, and see if 10 years later it's any good.

Kdestiny
April 22nd, 2013, 2:38 AM
I wanted to see the movie purely based on my love for Emma Watson, but the movie didn't really disappoint. I never read the book

Judas Iscariot
April 22nd, 2013, 2:45 AM
Going a little bit on Mik's bit about older films, I think everyone owes it to themselves to watch His Girl Friday, with Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell.

Legit funny crime caper, lots of ad-libbing and the first film where characters actually talked over one another instead of waiting for lines to be finished. Seems like a foregone conclusion these days, but 70 years ago it was a breakthrough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHVvnEWez1M

Judas Iscariot
April 22nd, 2013, 2:51 AM
Also, if you haven't seen Some Like It Hot, you're just doing it all wrong. Most of the comedies that come out these days just don't hold a candle. And you get to watch Marilyn Monroe, to boot. Which is kind of weird when you think about how she'd be 87 now. But damn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OhdD5n405I

Judas Iscariot
April 22nd, 2013, 2:55 AM
I wanted to see the movie purely based on my love for Emma Watson, but the movie didn't really disappoint. I never read the book

Emma Watson would get it. She would have gotten it based entirely off of The Rocker.

Kdestiny
April 22nd, 2013, 3:04 AM
Some Like it Hot is a classic. Still funny.

Rip
April 22nd, 2013, 3:06 AM
Also, if you haven't seen Some Like It Hot, you're just doing it all wrong. Most of the comedies that come out these days just don't hold a candle. And you get to watch Marilyn Monroe, to boot. Which is kind of weird when you think about how she'd be 87 now. But damn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OhdD5n405I

:yes:

I'd also add the original 'Ladykillers', 'The Lavender Hill Mob' and 'Kind Hearts and Coronets' to the classic comedies you must see list.

kangus
April 22nd, 2013, 3:13 AM
I only like movies with car chases, a bad guy with a foreign accent and explosions. These classic movies appear to have none of those so I will pass.

Judas Iscariot
April 22nd, 2013, 3:26 AM
I only like movies with car chases, a bad guy with a foreign accent and explosions. These classic movies appear to have none of those so I will pass.

What about movies with BOAT chases, bad guys with foreign accents and DRAG?

And Marilyn Monroe?

And Cary Grant?

I'd hit Marilyn Monroe back in the day.

And to be honest, I'd have to think twice about not letting Cary Grant hit me.

Rip
April 22nd, 2013, 3:31 AM

Ladykillers has a dodgy foreign bad guy, and multiple murders, while Kind Hearts... has dodgy accents and explosions.

Go watch them, now.

Judas Iscariot
April 22nd, 2013, 3:33 AM
We have to remember kangus is Canadian.

You know how you get brain freeze if you drink something really cold too fast?

That's what happens every time he breathes.

kangus
April 22nd, 2013, 3:35 AM
HEY, it's April, do you really think we still have snow on the ground?

Well, we do BUT it's melting and should be gone soon....I think.

Rip
April 22nd, 2013, 3:35 AM
I thought Canadians came with a special hat?

Type Canadian into Google images and you get this...

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPF0KHNCkL0X9yOh_RgCzdUsGJ4hbt4 KenK9sYCmiPGptlYXMN

See, anti brain freeze device.

son_of_foley
April 22nd, 2013, 3:43 AM
I thought Silver Linings Playbook was definitely a very watchable feeling but found the award wins to be a bit strange. Bradley Cooper is haming it up big time for a lot of it and the depiction of mental health issues felt a little cartoonish to me

kangus
April 22nd, 2013, 3:46 AM
I thought Canadians came with a special hat?

Type Canadian into Google images and you get this...

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPF0KHNCkL0X9yOh_RgCzdUsGJ4hbt4 KenK9sYCmiPGptlYXMN

See, anti brain freeze device.

Alright Rip, are you in any position to poke fun at our weather?

Judas Iscariot
April 22nd, 2013, 3:58 AM
At least it's just always grey over there and they never see the sun but get a hint of its warmth.

You Canadians are like emperor penguins, though, hoping to god that the sun will come out again at some point and the lights will come back on so you can waddle around before making it 20 feet towards your southern border until the lights go out again.

Rip
April 22nd, 2013, 4:50 AM
Alright Rip, are you in any position to poke fun at our weather?

Erm, I'm from a little village on the top of the Derwent and Tyne valleys mate, coldest place in England, and the last of our snow melted last week, it's 8 degrees out there and I'm in my 3/4 shorts so :p

Rip
April 22nd, 2013, 4:51 AM
You Canadians are like emperor penguins.

Does that mean you can get them to fall over by pointing up?

Judas Iscariot
April 22nd, 2013, 5:06 AM
Erm, I'm from a little village on the top of the Derwent and Tyne valleys mate, coldest place in England, and the last of our snow melted last week, it's 8 degrees out there and I'm in my 3/4 shorts so :p

Yeah but your 8 degrees is an imaginary temperature. What is 8 degrees in real temperature?

Keep in mind, a few months ago people in California were like, "OH MY GOD THE ARCTIC WINDS! IT'S 56 DEGREES IN REAL TEMPERATURE, BUNDLE UP, OH MY GOD!" when that's shorts and t shirt weather round these here parts.

kangus
April 22nd, 2013, 5:08 AM
Canada: Winter is a lifestyle, not a season.

Also, Moose sometimes wander into grocery stores here (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/04/11/bc-moose-smithers-safeway.html)

Rip
April 22nd, 2013, 5:10 AM
8 degrees over here = 46 over there.

My Dad has a Canadian Special Forces hat he 'obtained' while in the Navy, it's got a bobble on ffs... A bobble.

Judas Iscariot
April 22nd, 2013, 5:21 AM
Oh well 46 is clearly hoodie and shorts weather unless you have to go out to dinner and then you have to put on pants.

Rip
April 22nd, 2013, 5:26 AM
I had a right barney with my eldest lad this morning because he wanted to wear his shorts for school and his Mam had said he wasn't allowed, as soon as she left for Uni he tried it on with me :lol:

JP
April 22nd, 2013, 5:46 AM
Watched A Civil Action last night, love me a good Legal or Courtroom drama.

Really enjoyed it, especially the lack of a Hollywood ending, the emphasis on Travolta's evolution of character rather than the outcome of the lawsuit. Good stuff.

Mik
April 22nd, 2013, 6:28 AM
Clearly Canadian hat talk isnt what this thread is about.

Also, talk about Silver Linings Playbook and Perks of Being a Wallflower is pretty much the concerns I have about this thread. They are both new, both just out on DVD, they really should have their own thread.

Matty C
April 22nd, 2013, 11:41 AM
I saw two crappy horror movies last week.

The Last Exorcism

Meh. It was ok. I kind of saw everything coming but that’s to be expected to an extent I guess. The final scene was pretty cool and the main character was pretty funny and interesting. It’s probably worth a Netflix viewing.

The Haunting of Whaley House

This is an Asylum Netflix special, as such the rating for it has to be adjusted (they’re mostly purposefully terrible). It was entertaining. Completely predictable but also totally whacky in parts which is what I was looking for so I enjoyed it. If you like crappy horror movies that know they’re crappy and don’t pretend to be otherwise, you’ll enjoy this.

I watched about ten minutes of Perks. Not my type of movie. That may be a plus for it given the above.

I did spring yard work in 2 degree weather on Saturday. I wore a baseball cap and a spring jacket. :canada:

Kdestiny
April 22nd, 2013, 12:08 PM
The Last Exorcism was horrific. Can't believe they made a second one

Matty C
April 22nd, 2013, 1:11 PM
Horrific is a bit harsh I think but it was certainly nothing special. Horror movies are cheap to make though so they often get sequels. My sister mentioned the sequel to me and my response was "if it's the Last Exorcism, how can they possibly have another one?". Perhaps it's a prequel? I don't know. I'll probably watch it on Netfilx anyway. :lol:

Kdestiny
April 22nd, 2013, 1:28 PM
No, I do believe it is afterwards.

i know that sometimes horror films are fun to watch whether they are good or bad, but the Last Exorcism was mediocre, this the horrific because it was bland to me.

Bill Casey
April 22nd, 2013, 6:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCQVcckG4-M

This looks completely awful in the best way possible...

Fro
April 22nd, 2013, 9:42 PM
I watched The Amazing Spider Man finally.

Overall I liked it a lot and thought it was better than the Toby McGuire origin movie. The tone, writing, action and cinematography all felt nearly identical to the original - to the point where I think rebooting it so similarly so soon was fairly ridiculous. The reason I preferred this one was that I found Garfield-Stone-Leary-Ifans to be a much more enjoyable cast than McGuire-Dunst-Dafoe-Franco.

Emma Stone has really made a good career for herself out of that Superbad gig. I thought she'd be a one-and-done actress but now she's everywhere.

Matty C
April 23rd, 2013, 9:12 AM
I now feel like I have to see Ginger Clown. You're a good man Bill Casey.

Mik
April 23rd, 2013, 9:14 AM
I watched Office Space again the other day. It really does still hold up as a damn good little comedy film.

Bill Casey
May 2nd, 2013, 4:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy83MPk7Wpg

Mik
May 2nd, 2013, 6:22 AM
...Yes? Care to elaborate on it at all?

Slare
May 3rd, 2013, 7:42 AM
Lately I'm really enjoying just going onto Netflix and randomly picking a film I've never seen before. It's thrown up a couple of absolute crackers that I'd never have gone out of my way to watch otherwise.

Last night I watched one called Confidence with Rachel Wiess in it. Was a typical 'pull off a big job and fuck over a gang boss' thing with a nice twist in the end. Oceans 11-lite but decent fun nonetheless.

It also threw up one called Retreat with Cillian Murphy, Thandie Newman and Jamie Bell, which was a bit of a strange one. A couple having a hard time of it head up to an island getaway just off Scotland to get away from it all. Then Bell - claiming to be from the army - turns up claiming there's been a virus outbreak and they need to shack up in there. Then it just goes a bit mental from there. Still, interesting watch.

Also, watched the Dissapearance of Alice Creed again the other night and forgot what a nice, tense little film that is.

Anyway, I enjoy Netflix.

Morrison
May 3rd, 2013, 7:51 AM
I watched The Amazing Spider Man finally.

Overall I liked it a lot and thought it was better than the Toby McGuire origin movie. The tone, writing, action and cinematography all felt nearly identical to the original - to the point where I think rebooting it so similarly so soon was fairly ridiculous. The reason I preferred this one was that I found Garfield-Stone-Leary-Ifans to be a much more enjoyable cast than McGuire-Dunst-Dafoe-Franco.

Emma Stone has really made a good career for herself out of that Superbad gig. I thought she'd be a one-and-done actress but now she's everywhere.

they needed either a sequel or a reboot working or else they'd lose the rights to the character and it'd revert back to marvel studios. a fourth sequel would cost too much time and money so they rebooted instead.

Fro
May 22nd, 2013, 9:24 PM
Safety Not Guaranteed

This was a nice little indie flick. If you're a sitcom junkie like myself, the cast of Aubrey Plaza, Nick from New Girl and Pete from The League is a nice ensemble and they all fit their roles well.

VHS
May 22nd, 2013, 9:41 PM
Speed

Gosh, this movie. I remember watching this a million times when I was a kid and now that I'm older and have a more fervid love for movies, it's undeniable that this one is a classic. It's crazy remembering that Keanu was in this movie and then he went on to do Matrix, and it's a shame nobody really mentions this film anymore. The cinematography, the script, and the structure... all top notch. How many one liners are uttered today by people who have forgotten that they came from this movie? 10/10

Fro
May 22nd, 2013, 10:05 PM
pop quiz hot shot

yeah that movie is great

Matty C
May 27th, 2013, 12:17 PM
I finally saw Ted last night. I tried searching for a thread but I don't think the search works under four words.

I thought it was fun but I think people constantly telling me how funny it was kind of over-hyped it for me. I also didn't really like Wahlberg's character much and I imagine that's a key aspect of whether you find his antics funny or just juvenile. I'm not normally that sort of viewer too so I was surprised to land on the juvenile side of things. Perhaps I'm just getting old. I thought Ted was pretty funny and, like I said, overall I thought it was fun but I couldn't help but think "dude is a 35 year old man, it's not funny that he sits around smoking weed all day, it's just irresponsible" and thus the character just didn't gain my sympathy and I think it was supposed too. Ted was right, it's not his fault that the guy constantly does whatever he says and ditches everything (girlfriend, work, etc) at a moment's notice just to get high or drunk. I just couldn't identify with him at all.

:dunno:

Rip
May 27th, 2013, 12:20 PM
I liked the Flash bits but apart from that I was pretty underwhelmed as well, it wasn't bad just, meh I guess.

wardy
May 27th, 2013, 4:04 PM
Watched a few films for the first time recently...

Dodgeball - Overrated like fuck. Ben Stiller was awesome and his wife always is, but that was about it. For a comedy, I just didn't find any of the characters (bar Stiller's) or jokes funny which doesn't work. It was watchable though and not so unfunny that it made me cringe.

4/10

21 Jump Street: Good comedy. I normally don't like Jonah Hill but he was spot on here and Channing Tatum was good also. Plenty of laugh out loud moments and a decent story.

7/10

Escape From Alcatraz: Brilliant film. So many touching cloth moments with the suspense being built up and Clint Eastwood is cool as fuck as usual. Mr Heckles from Friends and the old neighbour from Home Alone put in some good performances as well.

9/10

Kneeneighbor
May 27th, 2013, 5:19 PM
I had a right barney with my eldest lad this morning because he wanted to wear his shorts for school and his Mam had said he wasn't allowed, as soon as she left for Uni he tried it on with me :lol:

Can anyone translate this to English for me?

Mik
May 27th, 2013, 6:01 PM
He had an argument with his oldest son because his son wanted to wear his shorts for school, but the Mam denied the request, so once she'd gone to work he tried to get his dad to let him instead.

The Rick
July 25th, 2013, 7:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyougFDZ7zU

The Rick
August 10th, 2013, 6:01 PM
Just got back from seeing 2 Guns. It was entertaining as hell. Denzel and Wahlberg play their parts well, and time flies by to the end of the film. The comedic exchanges between the two actors comes off extremely well, and doesn't grate at all. The plot is a bit hokey, but the action makes you forget about it. The supporting characters to fine jobs in what they do, and Paula Patton is a knockout to watch

http://leathergirlsblog.com/images/sized/Paula-Patton-Weinstein-Company--Audi-to-Celebrate-Awards-Season-600x900.jpghttp://leathergirlsblog.com/images/sized/Paula-Patton-Weinstein-Company--Audi-to-Celebrate-Awards-Season-600x900.jpg

I'd give it...
3-1/2 buddy cop films out of 5

Rip
August 10th, 2013, 6:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyougFDZ7zU

So is this ever going to get released then?

The Rick
August 10th, 2013, 6:24 PM
So is this ever going to get released then?

wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_Badassdom)

On July 25, 2013, it was announced that Entertainment One had bought the North American distribution rights to the film.

No official release date has been set yet. There is a decision of which cut to release too. Details here (http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/entertainment-one-finally-picks-up-knights-of-badassdom-for-release/)

Tainted Eclipse
August 10th, 2013, 6:56 PM
theres a really cool documentary on hulu called 'salesman.' its about door to door bible salesmen in the 1960s, definitely recommend it to anyone who likes documentaries.

The_Mike
August 19th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Saw The Butler, which has a stupid title because of a WB film from 1916 somehow matters. The MPAA are annoying.

Anyway, it was decent, but pretty uneven. A good portion of the dialogue sounded like it was written for a textbook and was really weird coming out of human mouths. "We're trying to raise the American consciousness about equal rights for African-Americans!" Yeah, that's true, but it's not really what a son would say to his father at the dinner table. So much of the stuff going on was telegraphed or ham-fistedly explained by the characters' exposition, which is particularly silly in a movie that is basically a highlight reel of all the famous happenings of the Civil Rights era. The performances were mostly good, Oprah in particular, but the presidents were ridiculous. Robin Williams was especially bad and just seemed like a decrepit version of himself because he was given nothing to work with but terrible make-up. Alan Rickman was the only one who seemed remotely convincing, and Cusak as Nixon was like a ludicrous SNL sketch. He even pulled out a handkerchief to dab at himself while having a quiet conversation. The thing was edited and presented like a TV movie as well, and just seemed to swing really wildly from poignant family drama to schlocky historical review. It's like Forest Gump, with less whimsy and more lynchings. Having the central character and narrator apparently not give a shit about anything but shining shoes well doesn't help.

That paragraph seems like a lot more complaining than praise, but I did think it was decent. Worth watching in what is (for my taste at least) a bit of a cinematic dry spell at the moment. But as a writer, I couldn't help but wonder all too often how the hell the script saw the light of day; so much of it was first-draft material, sketching in what they wanted to say by blatantly writing exposition or historical context into the dialogue in really unnatural ways. With some polish, and if they put the sledgehammer away, it could have been something quality.

Simmo Fortyone
September 15th, 2013, 6:49 PM
Watched Now You See Me on the weekend. I loved the trailer and was really looking forward to it. Now I wish I could go back to before the weekend where I still had the potential to enjoy the movie, rather than be in a position where I have seen it and thought it was dogshit.

The_Mike
September 15th, 2013, 9:38 PM
I liked it. Definitely didn't live up to the trailer, and I had a feeling they'd just be lazy with CG and wild technology to explain their stuff instead of making realistic tricks the centrepiece, but I didn't think it was dogshit. It seemed fun, at least, but tripped over its own dramatic ambition a few times.

Myles
September 15th, 2013, 9:43 PM
I just watched Mysterious Skin for the first time. I had no idea this film even existed until I watched the documentary "this film is not yet rated" which was recommended in the documentary thread.

This movie was great, it left me feeling a bit sick but not in an over the top Afronosky way. It was put together wonderfully and I have to say JGL impressed me. This had a real My Own Private Idaho feel and I dug it. Anyone know anymore dark artistic films like this?

This is much more my scene than 90 percent of the hollywood harry potter/batman/blockbuster shit that is relevant these days. Give me some child molesting and coming of age over blockbuster anyday.

Impressive film for those that haven't seen it. :yes:

Simon
September 16th, 2013, 5:11 AM
I watched The Perks of Being a Wallflower on a whim yesterday...what a beautiful and moving film. The shift in tone towards the end was weird but worked well. I'd never heard of Logan Lerman (?) before but he was great, reminded me a lot of the kid in The Way Way Back. Emma Watson was good as Sam as well, think that was the first time I've ever seen a film she was in. And Ezra Miller was superb as well, such a different role from We Need To Talk About Kevin.

Anyone else seen it? Awesome film that I was expecting to be a bit of throwaway fluff on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Myles
September 16th, 2013, 5:32 AM
I respect your tastes, (as long as it isn't comedy;)) so I'll be checking that out int he next couple of days. :yes:

Bill Casey
September 17th, 2013, 12:27 AM
Michael Bay wishes he made this movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yysbbPStfWw

Fro
October 12th, 2013, 3:36 PM
This is 40

I liked it, but I understand why it got poor reviews. It was long and aimless, but I loved the characters in Knocked Up and they were great here too. I think it was more suited to be a HBO or Showtime mini series than a feature length film.

Clive Plasma
October 14th, 2013, 6:54 AM
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BNTU5ODk5NDg0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzQwMjI1OQ@@._ V1._SX640_SY948_.jpg

6/10 - It was quite good. Sam Rockwell is funny in a role similar to that of Seven Psychopaths and Choke. Also, Steve Carrell plays a complete tosser very well.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7e/Broken_(2012_film)_poster.jpg

8/10 - Very decent film. Tim Roth and Eloise Laurence are brilliant.

Simon
October 14th, 2013, 7:12 AM
I loved The Way Way Back.

Clive Plasma
October 14th, 2013, 7:16 AM
Also saw this the other day as part of the London Film Festival...

http://www.karoofilms.com/posters/poison.jpg

8/10 - Beautifully shot, great performances throughout and a good twist at the end that nobody saw coming (providing you didn't read up on it). Don't think it warranted the standing ovation at the end, that might have just been out of politeness as the director was present at the screening.

Mik
October 14th, 2013, 3:09 PM
I think The Way, Way Back might well be my favourite film this year so far.

Fro
November 1st, 2013, 6:17 PM
Watched Apollo 13 over the course of the last few days. What an incredible film. I've seen it before of course but probably not for nearly 10 years so I had forgotten how good it is.

Chris
November 1st, 2013, 7:19 PM
I love Apollo 13. I watch it once a year without fail. Captain Phillips has got me in the mood for some Tom Hanks films, so I might give it a watch in the near future.

Bert
November 1st, 2013, 8:27 PM
I watched The To Do List last night.

It was interesting seeing Aubrey Plaza play a nerdy girl instead of her usual apathetic to everything character.

Also, Rachel Bilson is still really hot.

I liked it. I'd give it a 7/10.

The_Mike
November 3rd, 2013, 10:59 PM
Saw Ender's Game today. It's a really solid sci-fi film with Harrison Ford being a grumpy old General Solo, and very competent performances from the younger cast. I was never bored but somehow it felt both long and rushed all at once; there's a lot of stuff packed into under two hours, but Ender flies through different teams and schools with incredible rapidity. Another fifteen minutes or so might have actually made it feel a bit shorter if it gave them room to improve the pacing.

Simon
November 7th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Just watching Step Brothers for the first time since it was at the cinema...didn't find it that funny at the time (as happens with most of the improvisation-heavy McKay/Ferrell movies weirdly) but fucking hell there are some great lines.

Simon
November 7th, 2013, 12:58 PM
"This is a house of learned doctors" hahahaha

Canuck
November 7th, 2013, 2:14 PM
I think I liked Kings of Summer more than The Way Way Back.

Checking out Broken on your recommendation CP.

Fro
November 7th, 2013, 3:01 PM
Step Brothers is hysterical

-Dad, we're men. We like to shit with the door open, we talk about pussy, we go on riverboat gambling trips, and we make our own beef jerky. That's what we do, and now it's all wrecked.
-We have literally never done any of those things.

The fucking Catalina Wine Mixer

Kneeneighbor
November 8th, 2013, 12:47 AM
Saw Bad Grandpa tonight. Pretty funny stuff. Good for a night out

The_Mike
November 9th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Saw About Time today. Self-absorbed drivel wrapped in a silly sentimental bow. Our completely unremarkable protagonist uses time travel like a GameFAQs Guide to have sex with Rachel McAdams and then never really struggles with anything ever as he lives a life of tremendous ease and giddy happiness while telling the audience to enjoy all the little things in life. Easy to say when you live in a mansion next to the ocean, have a dream job, perfect family and the ability to undo practically anything that is the least bit uncomfortable or unfortunate. People were crying in the theatre, and I do not know why. Maybe they wished they could go back in time and save themselves the ticket price.

It was a competent and well crafted film from Richard Curtis, from a technical standpoint, but the story was a complete waste of time. Adding the conceit of time travel to the life of someone who doesn't really have any serious problems in life is pointless.

Mik
November 10th, 2013, 6:00 AM
I thought that it was rather charming, however what you've said is the most common complAint regarding Richard Curtis films. I guess it either needs you to suspend your disbelief and go with the fact that Curtis only writes fairy tales about the type of people that don't exist, or simply not watch his work...cos that's what they all are.

The_Mike
November 10th, 2013, 11:54 AM
I don't mind Curtis' other films and was a huge fan of his TV work, but the time travel element completely mucks up his attempt at messaging here. Live for the day, says the man who can relive his day as many times as he likes. There's basically zero conflict in the film, because everything can be fixed by going into a cupboard, except the protagonist has basically nothing in life that needs fixing except his bumbling and borderline creepy attempts at banging a hot American. It surprised me because I thought I would enjoy the film. There's suspending disbelief and then there's having nobody to give a crap about because everything is practically perfect already. At least Hugh Grant characters would have something to worry about when they bumbled about in previous Curtis films because they had to charm their way back.

Basically every Bill Nighy scene was brilliant, though. He really stole the show and ensured the film had some kind of heart to it.

Mik
November 10th, 2013, 6:25 PM
I agree, but I dont think that the film was about conflict. He chose not to relieve every day, he settled on living life as is. I think that its a film that is supposed to make you realise the importance of making the most of life and a film about fathers and sons. I am not explaining myself well, I'm pretty exhausted. I do see your complaints, but they just didnt really ruin it for me. There was nothing that I wasnt expecting there.

Simmo Fortyone
November 10th, 2013, 6:38 PM
Watched White House Down yesterday. Hands down the best comedy of 2013.

Bert
November 10th, 2013, 6:57 PM
That can't be right, This Is The End came out in 2013.

I watched The Way Way Back on Friday and Kings of Summer yesterday. They were both really good. Seeing Steve Carell be a dick was weird though.

Simmo Fortyone
November 10th, 2013, 6:59 PM
Yeah, but This Is The End was actually trying to be a comedy.

Bert
November 10th, 2013, 7:51 PM
Oh, from the trailer I thought it was supposed to be a comedy. Also, Jamie Foxx is president.

The_Mike
November 10th, 2013, 9:37 PM
I agree, but I dont think that the film was about conflict. He chose not to relieve every day, he settled on living life as is. I think that its a film that is supposed to make you realise the importance of making the most of life and a film about fathers and sons. I am not explaining myself well, I'm pretty exhausted. I do see your complaints, but they just didnt really ruin it for me. There was nothing that I wasnt expecting there.

He chose not to because it wasn't that hard to live a practically perfect life anyway. I guess I was expecting something to actually change at some point for the protagonist but he didn't really seem to learn anything or struggle to overcome anything. Life just happened and it was pretty brilliant for him. Why should I give a crap? The heavily telegraphed message about making the most of life barely resonates when it's coming from some middle-England fop without a care in the world. I understand it's a Curtis film and it's not supposed to be heavy on the conflict and drama but it was basically an afternoon of window shopping. I can't see what there is for an audience to care about, let alone cry over. It's barely even a film, it's a painting of dapper, deliriously happy English people.

Fro
November 23rd, 2013, 4:40 PM
Million Dollar Baby

Finally watched this. I knew about the stool scene (mainly from the Always Sunny parody) but that was it, I didn't know what the aftermath of it was. Fuck me what a sad ending. The movie up until then was a really good but fairly typical boxing flick, not unlike The Fighter or any other number of similar underdog stories. I kind of wish it had a happier ending, it was a little too depressing. But I suppose that's what separates it from other boxing flicks and elevated it to Best Picture status. Clint Eastwood is the fucking man. The movies he makes these days are never flashy but they're always really well done in a classical style. Jay Baruchel was really good in this too, I've never seen him in a serious role before and he surprised me.

Simon
November 25th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Just watched that Kings of Summer that everyone creamed it about. Pretty good, not a patch on The Way Way Back. Brooklyn Beckham was excellent in the lead role.

Mik
November 25th, 2013, 4:38 PM
You need to find a way to watch The Selfish Giant.

Alf
November 25th, 2013, 7:00 PM
Short Term 12... rather lovely.

MikeHunt
November 25th, 2013, 7:46 PM
I watched Eden lake at the weekend loved it. Fassbender is of course absolutely class and the lad from skins his name escapes me, (jack something) was outstanding in his role.

Would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a bit of a violent thriller.

Alf
November 28th, 2013, 7:36 AM
Brutal ending too.

Clive Plasma
November 28th, 2013, 7:42 AM
Off to watch Irreversible at the cinema tonight.

"Events over the course of one traumatic night in Paris unfold in reverse-chronological order as the beautiful Alex is brutally raped and beaten by a stranger in the underpass."

Written and Directed by Gaspar Noé, it's apparently pretty grim. Loved Enter The Void and haven't been able to find a good rip/stream/download of Irreversible, so looking forward to it.

The Rogerer
November 28th, 2013, 7:51 AM
I know this sounds like an obvious thing to say but I didn't particularly enjoy it. It might actually be better watching it in a cinema as you don't really have the option to distract yourself during the two main scenes. I personally felt it was just self-indulgence.

Clive Plasma
November 28th, 2013, 8:16 AM
I can understand that. I'll put up my thoughts on it later. I find it weird when rape is used for, in the broadest sense, 'entertainment'. I'm just a fan of Enter the Void and have been told "I have to see this".

It can't be as bad as A Serbian Film. That was a load of self-indulgent bullshit being controversial for controversials sake.

MikeHunt
November 29th, 2013, 8:47 AM
Scenic route.

7/10

MikeHunt
December 9th, 2013, 6:00 PM
The loved ones

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Loved_Ones_(film)

7.5/10

very violent and fucked up. Loved it

MMH
December 9th, 2013, 6:29 PM
Dill Scallion

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51xk1KytNaL.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0179769/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

One of my favourite ever films this. As the IMDB entry says its like a country version of Spinal Tap. Its not as obviously funny as This Is Spinal Tap but better in many ways. The songs are great and it has a pretty good cast for a low budget movie with the likes of Kathy Griffin, Lauren Graham, Jason Priestly, Henry Winkler, Billy Burke and cameos by Willy Nelson and LeAnn Rimes.

Ignore the 5.9 rating is I think only about 3 people have ever seen the film and one person obviously wasnt a fan. Its ridiculously hard to get a copy of it though. Well worth hunting down however. I reckon its the greatest film that nobody has ever seen.

JP
December 10th, 2013, 9:16 PM
Just watched Oblivion.

Genuinely one of the worst films I've ever seen. Fucking awful.

Clive Plasma
December 16th, 2013, 7:52 AM
Spring Breakers - 8/10 - Loved it. Can't understand all the abuse it receives.
Machete Kills - 1/10 - Terrible film.
The Yellow Sea - 9/10 - Great South Korean thriller. Very violent.
A Separation - 10/10 - Easy to see why it won an Oscar.
We're The Millers - 6/10 - Moderately funny.
Prince Avalanche - 5/10 - Nothing really happened, but it was enjoyable.

JP
December 16th, 2013, 7:55 AM
Watched The Heat the other night, loved it.

Just love Sandra Bullock really, never bad.

The Rogerer
December 16th, 2013, 7:56 AM
Clive, how did you find Irreversible?

Clive Plasma
December 16th, 2013, 8:04 AM
Clive, how did you find Irreversible?

Thought it was great. It was very surreal. The rape scene made me feel sick, but I guess that's the point. To shock and make the audience feel uncomfortable.

It was just an odd experience to have that story arc reversed and to leave it on such a happy note, you find your memory of it slowly being replaced by nice ones.

It was a good night all in all though, it was a movie night hosted by Dan Le Sac and he had a comedian on afterwards. Who came out and told a few jokes after the film had aired. One was along the lines of;

"I was in the Curzon cinema in Chelsea, and this guy was obviously on a first date with this woman. They sit down to watch Irreversible and it gets to that scene. The woman stands up, shouts "what the fuck is wrong with you?!" and storms out, to which the guy calls out "I'm sorry, I didn't know it had subtitles"...

Then there was a fucking Q&A session, which are always bollocks. One of the questions was, "Do you not think that when the man comes down into the alley way and sees the rape, then leaves, it is a representation of how sexism in society is still prevalent?". I left quickly after that. Silly woman.

Clive Plasma
January 5th, 2014, 5:07 PM
Recently watched over the last 5 days;

Rush
American Hustle
Lone Survivor
Bad Grandpa
Fish Tank
Prisoners
Mandela
Nebraska

Going to try and do 365 within the year. It will be a challenge but I have 257 in my 'haven't watched' folder on my hard drive, and over 40 unwatched DVDs. I need to get a headstart now while I'm still interested in doing it.

MikeHunt
January 5th, 2014, 5:23 PM
Rush was brilliant. Wish I'd gone to see it in the cinema.

Donald
January 5th, 2014, 5:45 PM
365 movies in one year? Seems like a cool challenge. Mind if I attempt it too? Can they be any movie or only recent ones?

Kdestiny
January 5th, 2014, 6:04 PM
Just saw Walter Mitty, thought it was a neat film and thoughtful. I felt that Wiig was a bit out of place though as a love interest but that may be because I saw Anchorman before that.

it served its purpose, was worth the experience.

Clive Plasma
January 5th, 2014, 6:16 PM
365 movies in one year? Seems like a cool challenge. Mind if I attempt it too? Can they be any movie or only recent ones?

I'm not gonna restrict what you watch. Go for it.

My only rule is that it has to be a film you haven't seen before.

I've started up a tumblr where I can keep track of them all: http://film2014.tumblr.com (http://film2014.tumblr.com/)

MikeHunt
January 5th, 2014, 6:35 PM
Start a thread Clive.

Clive Plasma
January 5th, 2014, 6:49 PM
Nah, lemme get a good number under my belt first then I might start one and ask for suggestions of what to watch next.

Mik
January 5th, 2014, 6:49 PM
Yup, please do.

Clive Plasma
January 5th, 2014, 6:53 PM
I'm about to watch "The Secret in Their Eyes" now.

Just thrown a thread together anyway. Seemed simple enough. Enjoy.

Kyle_242
January 6th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Room 237. Documentary that speculates all the hidden meanings behind Kubrick's "The Shining".

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d6/Room_237_(2012_film).jpg/220px-Room_237_(2012_film).jpg

I LOVE The Shining, and I love hidden meanings and conspiracy theories, so I really, really enjoyed watching this. However, critically speaking, it's not a very good documentary at all. Didn't flow very nicely, and a little too much time was spent on some pretty big stretches for explanations. But if you're really into Kubrick like me, it's worth 90 minutes of your time.

Kimura Kid
January 6th, 2014, 1:09 PM
I watched Olympus has Fallen last night.

I enjoyed it. I actually really enjoyed it. Kinda reminded me of all those 90's action movies.

Also Watched Zodiac. Good movie kept me intrigued but the ending was brutal.

Also watched Zack and Mari make a porno, Thought it was fucking awful.

We just stayed in yesterday and watched movies all day. Weathers been brutal out here.

McBain
January 8th, 2014, 5:16 AM
Watched two cracking films in the past week:

Captain Phillips

Was very moved by this. Excellent performance, as usual, by Hanks. Great tension and closing scenes in particular.

Gravity

Pretty similar to the above. Incredible special effects also. Was sad when Clooney's reappearance was just a dream, but was very useful as a plot device.

Both 8.5/10

Simon
January 8th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Drinking Buddies
If you want to spend 90 minutes staring at the television while absolutely nothing happens, and West Ham aren't playing, this is the film for you.

Slare
January 9th, 2014, 11:34 AM
American Hustle - 7/10 - Odd watch. I knew I was watching a very well put together film and great performances but it just didnt click with me.

Toy Story 3 - 9/10 - So so lovely and fun and cute and genuinely emotional. Just a fantastic film.

TalHotBlonde - 5/10 - Not as slick or as good as Catfish. Would've affected me more 5 years ago. Kinda numb to it now.

The Avengers - 7/10 - First time I've seen it. Was alright. Final battle was great, lots of nice touches but felt like a good half of it was them bickering on a flying submarine.

Anchorman 2 - 6/10 - Fine fun. Some really really funny lines but it was broad and obvious and overused Brick to a silly extent. Ending was mental and overdone. Never a huge anchorman fan in the first place.

Simon
January 10th, 2014, 8:32 AM
Crystal Fairy
Not bad. A little plodding, but Michael Cera is great as a patronising gap-yah arsehole amongst a group of likeable locals on a drug cruise of Mexico. The weird girl is a little irritating but that's plausible enough.

Bad Grandpa
Way better than I was expecting. The emotional kick wasn't amazing, it's difficult to care about such witless characters, but it wasn't terrible either. Some of the set-pieces are just fucking hilarious, particularly the drinks machine.

JP
January 24th, 2014, 5:43 PM
Been in bed with a deadly bout of the man flu so got through a few films this week.

Bad Grandpa - Fun, good heart and consistently amusing but not many belly laughs surprisingly. 7/10

Iron Man 3 - Really enjoyed seeing Stark deal with post-NY problems, out of the suit for most helped, great set-pieces. 8/10

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone - Loved it, loved it, loved it! Carey is so funny as the antagonist 'magician', Carrel just as good as Wonderstone and one of the best supporting casts in a comedy I've ever seen. This sunk without a trace when released and I have no idea why. 9/10

LOCONUT
January 24th, 2014, 6:48 PM
I watched Olympus has Fallen last night.

I enjoyed it. I actually really enjoyed it. Kinda reminded me of all those 90's action movies.

Also Watched Zodiac. Good movie kept me intrigued but the ending was brutal.

Also watched Zack and Mari make a porno, Thought it was fucking awful.

We just stayed in yesterday and watched movies all day. Weathers been brutal out here.

Zack and Miri make a porno was great you lunatic.

RuneEdge
January 25th, 2014, 9:55 PM
I've been going through a shit load of movies for some time now (had a thread about it a while back), but I had a break in my house and the fuckers took one of my tablets and harddrives that stored some of my movies on. :( Plus I got talked into checking out Breaking Bad, which has had me hooked.

Still managed to get the following movies in though.

Zero Dark Thirty (2012)
Up In The Air (2009)
Mississippi Burning (1988)
Oldboy (2003)
Olympus Has Fallen (2013)
Flight (2012)

Enjoyed them all to some extent. Olympus Has Fallen was fun, and I liked Up In The Air. I dont know how I feel about Oldboy though. I enjoyed it but not as much as I expected to considering how highly it's rated. The other three movies were worth a watch.

MikeHunt
January 26th, 2014, 8:14 AM
Filth - shite

3/10

read the book.

MikeHunt
January 26th, 2014, 8:19 AM
Actually thinking back I didn't really like the book. Don't bother with either.

The Rogerer
January 26th, 2014, 8:24 AM
Was going to watch Pacific Rim last night but had Playstation activation problems, that's what you get for actually trying to pay for something. Watched Seven Psychopaths instead. Nowhere near as funny or coherent as the other Martin McDonagh films, but I warmed to it more in the end. Hard to recommend, but I don't know, I might watch it again someday. Strange.

JP
January 26th, 2014, 8:27 AM
Was going to watch Pacific Rim last night but had Playstation activation problems, that's what you get for actually trying to pay for something.

Your Playstation has developed intelligence, likes you and was trying to prevent you from the horrors of some of the worst acting and dialogue known to man.

Apart from Idris doing his best President from ID4 impression, that's pretty cool.

Tainted Eclipse
January 26th, 2014, 1:34 PM
Watched "Raise the Red Lantern" last night and thought it was stunningly good. Been a long time since I had such a strong reaction to a film. In terms of story, performances, meaning and visuals it was really just top notch. Should be seen by everyone. Been watching a bunch of well regarded 90s films over the last several weeks and this might have been the best one.

Mik
January 27th, 2014, 5:53 AM
Your Playstation has developed intelligence, likes you and was trying to prevent you from the horrors of some of the worst acting and dialogue known to man.

Apart from Idris doing his best President from ID4 impression, that's pretty cool.

Its a B Movie.

Simon
January 27th, 2014, 6:06 AM
Watched a British film called Borrowed Time the other day. Mediocre story let down by crap performances from television actors.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1659612/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Not much to recommend it really. It's led by the weird bloke from the Inbetweeners movie that follows them around everywhere, and the taxi driver from the first ever episode of Sherlock who, to be fair, is reasonably good. But basically it's shite.

Mik
January 27th, 2014, 6:08 AM
Haha, love Phil Davis being referred to as 'the taxi driver from the first episode of Sherlock'.

Simon
January 27th, 2014, 6:10 AM
Ahahaha just checked out his Wiki...he seems to have appeared in every single British film I've heard of but not seen.

lotjx
January 27th, 2014, 7:12 AM
Haha, love Phil Davis being referred to as 'the taxi driver from the first episode of Sherlock'.

He is amazing in White Chapel.

The_Mike
January 30th, 2014, 9:22 PM
Saw The Invisible Woman today. Atrocious, frankly. The entire point seemed to be "look at Charles Dickens be a bit of a lecherous old man, isn't he great?" told in stilted scenes sans any music or energy. It's just people in costume in endless awkward conversations, and the occasional scene of breathing at each other while failing to kiss. A handful of jarring editing decisions and shaky-cam closeups makes the whole thing seem unfinished and unfocused.

Still, I'm not a huge Dickens fan, so maybe it wasn't meant for me. All I got out of it was a bunch of vignettes where Dickens looks like a creep and a reluctant teenager is gradually served up to him on a platter.

Bert
January 30th, 2014, 11:53 PM

Charlie Hunnam is a great actor. Watch Sons of Anarchy if you're dumb and disagree.

I agree on the dialogue being bad but it's a robot fighting movie I wasn't in it for the dialogue.

Simon
February 8th, 2014, 5:23 PM
Just watched Shame. Not sure what to make of it. Large parts of it were utterly tedious, but then other parts were mesmerising, particularly the long scene of Carey Mulligan singing. Didn't really enjoy it overall despite Fassbender being excellent in a role that comprised 90% of the movie.

Mik
February 8th, 2014, 5:31 PM
Shame is tremendous, loved it.

Simon
February 8th, 2014, 5:41 PM
I'm trying so hard to be a better film watcher Mik. But then sometimes I catch a film that is apparently great but bores me to tears, and I wonder if I wouldn't be happier rolling in my philistine muck proudly. This one didn't quite fall into that category but I'm almost certain that if I'd stuck Wet Hot American Summer or Wreck It Ralph on instead I'd have had a better time.

Mik
February 8th, 2014, 5:42 PM
I really might start a 'film teaching' thread to try and highlight some things that might enrich your appreciation of films, even if you dont necessarily particularly enjoy them. Make you able to notice some of the elements of craft in them.

Simon
February 8th, 2014, 5:44 PM
I would genuinely enjoy that I think. I have upped my game with film watching considerably in recent years and have watched a ton of films I would have never watched previously, many of which I enjoyed. But there are a lot of films where I feel like, if not exactly going over my head, I just don't have the mindset to enjoy them. Then again a lot of the time when I dislike a critically acclaimed film I just assume it's my own 'fault' as it were, then I read discussions on them and find that a lot of people think the same as me. I couldn't find a thread on Shame on here, but reading other discussions it seems like it was mostly liked, but the people who disliked it really hated it.

Mik
February 8th, 2014, 5:49 PM
Well, Steve McQueen is a very artistic film-maker who often uses lots of really lingering slow shots, which a lot of people can find a bit boring and slows the narrative down, some can see it as a sign of pretentiousness. I love his films, but I can see the complaints.

Simon
February 23rd, 2014, 8:14 PM
Scenes of a Sexual Nature

The most boring inconsequential film of all time. Nothing interesting happens. I give this film -83 out of 10. That is made up of -84 for the 84 minutes I wasted watching this tedious shit and +1 for Tom Hardy being handsome.

Slare
February 24th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Just watched Shame. Not sure what to make of it. Large parts of it were utterly tedious, but then other parts were mesmerising, particularly the long scene of Carey Mulligan singing. Didn't really enjoy it overall despite Fassbender being excellent in a role that comprised 90% of the movie.

Watched it last week and I'm with you. Like I knew what I was watching was very stylish and very well made and the performances were great, but I didn't really like it.

Gary J
February 24th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Watched Bernie the other day I enjoyed it.

It's based on a true story, Jack Black offers a surprising degree of depth as an assistant funeral director with secrets in a town where 'all of the widows had a crush on Bernie'.

Matthew McConaughey also stars and continues to have been in a fair few of the movies I've enjoyed this year and of course True Detective. He's fast becoming one of my favourite actors.

firewall
February 25th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Bernie is one I keep meaning to check out. Will have to get to it soon.

Watched Phantom of the Paradise last night, Arrow Video released the BD this week and it's a film I've always been curious about. It's a rock-opera, I've heard people say it's like Faust mixed with Phantom of the Opera, and I see that. Just a bizarre little film along the lines of Forbidden Zone (I guess), though it's hard to make comparisons when the film is so atypical. Really cool songs and a definite cult classic, worth checking out (I think) if you like this sort of thing. The release has an excellent 50 minute documentary on it too.

Ringo
February 25th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Bernie is pretty great. The interviews with the townspeople - some actors, some actual townspeople playing themselves - are hilarious.

MikeHunt
February 27th, 2014, 5:03 AM
Frozen - brilliant! i laughed, i got sad, it was silly, the animation was lovely and the songs were brilliant especially "for the first time in forever". loved it

9/10

Mik
February 27th, 2014, 7:39 PM
But for the score, I couldn't agree more.

MikeHunt
February 28th, 2014, 10:36 AM
poet.

FYI Blue is the warmest colour has been added to american netflix. if you haven't seen this please watch it as soon as possible.

JP
February 28th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Charlie Hunnam is a great actor. Watch Sons of Anarchy if you're dumb and disagree.

I agree on the dialogue being bad but it's a robot fighting movie I wasn't in it for the dialogue.

Mate, I know about Charlie Hunnam. Every boy who likes boys in the UK around my age knows about Charlie Hunnam. We spent years of our youth wishing we were Charlie Hunnam.

http://i.imgur.com/SSRwdDt.jpg

And yes, that is Littlefinger.

Mik
February 28th, 2014, 4:08 PM
Lick-El-finger.

Alf
February 28th, 2014, 5:10 PM
That was Charlie Hunnam?!? Mind blown.

Simon
March 5th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Has anyone seen The Imposter?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1966604/

The guy's a fucking maniac. But then he seems to have stumbled into something much bigger, that isn't really explained. Very strange story.

Clive Plasma
March 5th, 2014, 1:06 PM
Has anyone seen The Imposter?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1966604/

The guy's a fucking maniac. But then he seems to have stumbled into something much bigger, that isn't really explained. Very strange story.

Yeah, I love that film. It appears as a documentary but it isn't. Weird story. The guy is a freak. There's an actual film called The Chameleon that isn't as good, but looks at the same story - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1359553/

Clive Plasma
March 5th, 2014, 1:09 PM
On a separate note, off to watch Nymphomaniac I & II tonight, back to back. Should be weird.

Donald
March 5th, 2014, 3:24 PM
Got rid of Netflix streaming and signed up for the DVD program. I got tired of spending 2 hours browsing and finding something to watch. Now at least I can watch something I'm interested in.

Got World War Z and We Are What We Are coming tomorrow.

Can't wait.

firewall
March 7th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Watched Gravity and loved it, kind of wish I'd made more of an effort to see it in 3D in the cinema instead of just waiting on the blu-ray. Great stuff though, and the little short film that is included on the BD release is a cool addition too.

Also watched, and thoroughly enjoyed, Frances Ha. I do like Greta Gerwig, she has something clumsy and awkward about her that makes her very watchabe to me. Very cool little film that will probably divide opinion depending on your feelings about these sorts of indie-drama's where people live a "NYC-loft, pine-nut and pumpkin cupcake existence". Liked it lots though.

JustDuett
March 7th, 2014, 12:58 PM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/film-tv/news/new-matrix-movies-set-to-be-made-30057449.html

http://latino-review.com/2014/02/exclusive-que-que-que-new-matrix-trilogy-horizon/

New round of rumors of a new set of Matrix movies. I am one of the ones that actually enjoyed the original trilogy AS A WHOLE, while not being particularly fond of the execution of Revolutions. I think Neo's discoveries in the sequels from conversations with the Architect definitely open a door to possibilities of prequels or further sequels not involving the characters from the original trilogy. I think if done right, hopefully with more focus on the style and methods from the 1st film, this could be a pretty cool idea.

Thoughts?

Donald
March 7th, 2014, 2:43 PM
World War Z was awful.

JustDuett
March 7th, 2014, 4:44 PM
I enjoyed the World War Z book, so I had high hopes for the movie, but I agree with DWyndorf. Even if it had been a stand alone zombie flick without any connection to a book, comic, etc., it would still be disjointed and pretty bad.

Clutch
March 8th, 2014, 4:28 PM
Short term 12

10/10

Incredibly heartbreaking but still full of hope. masterful performances by the entire cast. The scene where Marcus raps about his mom was beautifully devestating. Great movie.

MikeHunt
March 9th, 2014, 6:28 AM
brilliant film couldnt agree any more with your rating

Clutch
March 13th, 2014, 6:39 PM
Shame

9/10

fassbender just completely mesmerizing as an emotionally broken sex addict. Loved the interplay between him and his equally fucked up sister. Great work here. Also, the sex scene between brandon and his co-worker was a pretty awesome portrayal of how he couldn't handle real intimacy and he forced himself to stop when she touched him with a genuine tenderness (stroking his face, hair). Great scene. A hopeful ending too, which sorta implied that he has another chance with the girl on the subway (from the beginning scene of the movie).

anyways, loved the movie. fassbender is in a class of his own. blondie who played his sister looks familiar...she was good too.

Simon
March 13th, 2014, 6:44 PM
Carey Mulligan. She was class in it :yes:

The_Mike
March 13th, 2014, 7:01 PM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/film-tv/news/new-matrix-movies-set-to-be-made-30057449.html

http://latino-review.com/2014/02/exclusive-que-que-que-new-matrix-trilogy-horizon/

New round of rumors of a new set of Matrix movies. I am one of the ones that actually enjoyed the original trilogy AS A WHOLE, while not being particularly fond of the execution of Revolutions. I think Neo's discoveries in the sequels from conversations with the Architect definitely open a door to possibilities of prequels or further sequels not involving the characters from the original trilogy. I think if done right, hopefully with more focus on the style and methods from the 1st film, this could be a pretty cool idea.

Thoughts?

God no. They'd have very little chance of being anything but just milking a name that people remember. I think you have a point there's scope for other stories, but studios are doing this endlessly now, looking for a quick buck. I seriously doubt it will be anything but a hackneyed script and a lot of fuzzy, noisy action sequences strung together in front of 3D cameras so they can go "look at all this spectacle!"

VHS
March 13th, 2014, 7:17 PM
As much as I disliked Reloaded, I feel it's still a massive achievement. The special effects was at that time was over, and we'd entered an era where filmmakers could finally -LITERALLY- do whatever they wanted with CG. The freeway scene will remain as one of my favorite scenes in general of all time. But every action scene outside of that was pretty disappointing. The 100 Smith fight... it's just so ugly to look at.

Revolutions though, I'll never forget sitting next to my friends and we all had this looks of just... ugh. :wtf:

Sati... just why?

The final fight between Neo and Smith was utterly pointless, even though his mission was to exercise the concept of purpose. Neo's to allow The Matrix to use him as a conduit to transfer the virus into Smith, thus killing him and allowing The Matrix to be rebooted. Alright. So what's the purpose of Neo trading punches with him in the first place?

When the movie was over and the credits started rolling, the crowd gave out an emphatic "Pshh."

It's amazing to look back at when Matrix was first released and it felt like we were witnessing a new Star Wars type scenario, and how much buzz there was about it. Then the sequels came out and it was just so disappointing.

More Matrix movies though? I'm alright with it... let's see what you got Hollywood. :yes:

Mik
March 14th, 2014, 6:51 AM
The biggest problem with the downfall of the Matrix was that they made out that they had enough of an idea to spiral 3 films, a range of video games, comic books, animations etc...and they simply didnt. They had a good idea for maybe very two good films and that would've been it. The rest was all just pointless filler.

Shame

9/10

fassbender just completely mesmerizing as an emotionally broken sex addict. Loved the interplay between him and his equally fucked up sister. Great work here. Also, the sex scene between brandon and his co-worker was a pretty awesome portrayal of how he couldn't handle real intimacy and he forced himself to stop when she touched him with a genuine tenderness (stroking his face, hair). Great scene. A hopeful ending too, which sorta implied that he has another chance with the girl on the subway (from the beginning scene of the movie).

anyways, loved the movie. fassbender is in a class of his own. blondie who played his sister looks familiar...she was good too.

Interesting, you interpreted the final scene very differently to how I remember it.

Slare
March 14th, 2014, 7:49 AM
What I got from that final scene is that she was putting out a bit more this time and he was being all aloof and just leaving it.

The Rick
March 18th, 2014, 12:11 AM
http://vimeo.com/82920243

MikeHunt
March 21st, 2014, 7:42 AM
good vibrations - 9/10

amazing film. just watch it.

The_Mike
March 28th, 2014, 5:47 PM
Divergent - 6/10. Everyone in it was good at what was asked of them but the story has serious flaws and the script was shallow yet often lacking coherence. It's not The Hunger Games, no matter how much the studio wishes it was, but it's actually rated higher on IMDB right now. I suspect that will dwindle once more non-fans see it, but even among the fans it appears there are camps who either thing it's great just to see it on the screen or it's a contorted affront to the author's vision. For my part, I really think the story implies a rather strange message.

Divergents are 'special' people, and being born special isn't particularly unusual in YA fiction, but here there's a literal physical difference that is key in the story. The script lamely reiterates the point that Divergents are feared because 'they cannot be controlled', a superficial metaphor for society's pressure to conform that is spelled out multiple times, only for this to turn out to be the literal case. Divergents can't be controlled by a mind-control serum and everybody else can. That's basically the difference, and that means the attractive leads get to retain their autonomy and save the day while all the other characters we spent time watching grow are turned into drones and are simply lesser beings to begin with. Its theme is essentially that some people are just better.

There's a huge issue with the male lead (his name is 'Four' for some reason) having tattoos of all the factions on his back. This left a few people scratching their heads in reviews I've read, because the factions generally don't get along and his faction in particular despises any whiff of disloyalty or equivocation. The book apparently explains it, but in the film it's just confusing and is there solely for a shirtless scene. Nothing wrong with a bit of pandering, though Triss is apparently way hotter than the books intended, but don't cripple your own narrative for it.

Long story short, it's trying to be a broadly appealing social-justice phenomenon like the Hunger Games and winds up being Twilight with tank tops.

The Rogerer
March 28th, 2014, 6:44 PM
After watching the heavy handed advert, I concluded the film would be much better if the titular characters were called "Wrong 'uns"

The Rogerer
March 31st, 2014, 7:00 PM
I couldn't find a thread regarding Mud.

On one hand, an entertaining film that held my interest throughout, very well shot, great performances and the McConnaisance. On the other hand, I don't know if I'd enjoy a second watch, once the trail of the mystery/tension is known. The story felt a little too on the nose, or rather the difference aspects of the life all reflecting each other, to a degree that didn't feel like it was needed as the main story spoke for itself.

Edit: And the mad Hollywood ending that finalises with abandoning the narrative perspective of Ellis.

Mik
April 1st, 2014, 5:59 AM
I thought Mud was great. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Rogerer
April 1st, 2014, 6:05 PM
I didn't mean to be a negative nancy, it was just disappointment that a great movie turned into just a good one in the end. Thought the following as I was trying to fall asleep last night

The film hits a very contrived patch at the end. Ellis falls into the snakes so that Mud has to do the big rescue and prove himself, except we already get it, we understand that Mud is genuine in his own way. Mud then comes into the mainland, the police are alerted, and he's able to leave and get back to the island without any incident. The whole snakes incident doesn't really advance the plot because everything essentially gets reset back to how it was 5 minutes later so it sort of felt cheap because they spent all that time talking about the snakebite at the start so Here's The Poetic Payoff. It didn't help that this lead into a mental shootout, and then you get the happy ending, as I said it's not terrible to have the mystery solved but it feels it cheats because the film relies on Ellis' perspective throughout and then the viewer gets to magically know that Mud's alright.

In summary I think everything from the snakebite on went for this very different tone that went away from the gentle, natural ebbing feel of the rest of the film. Maybe they felt they needed to spice things up?

Also saw The Grand Budapest Hotel at the weekend. Very enjoyable, by far the most accessible Wes Anderson film I've seen and so very easy to recommend. Promises a lot and manages to pull everything off in my opinion.

Mik
April 2nd, 2014, 6:42 AM
Yeah, I don't disagree with any of that. Even the Grand Budapest Hotel review, but to say that I thought The Royal Tennenbaums was better and a little more accessible.

Canuck
April 5th, 2014, 7:44 PM
Divergent - 6/10. Everyone in it was good at what was asked of them but the story has serious flaws and the script was shallow yet often lacking coherence. It's not The Hunger Games, no matter how much the studio wishes it was, but it's actually rated higher on IMDB right now. I suspect that will dwindle once more non-fans see it, but even among the fans it appears there are camps who either thing it's great just to see it on the screen or it's a contorted affront to the author's vision. For my part, I really think the story implies a rather strange message.

Divergents are 'special' people, and being born special isn't particularly unusual in YA fiction, but here there's a literal physical difference that is key in the story. The script lamely reiterates the point that Divergents are feared because 'they cannot be controlled', a superficial metaphor for society's pressure to conform that is spelled out multiple times, only for this to turn out to be the literal case. Divergents can't be controlled by a mind-control serum and everybody else can. That's basically the difference, and that means the attractive leads get to retain their autonomy and save the day while all the other characters we spent time watching grow are turned into drones and are simply lesser beings to begin with. Its theme is essentially that some people are just better.

There's a huge issue with the male lead (his name is 'Four' for some reason) having tattoos of all the factions on his back. This left a few people scratching their heads in reviews I've read, because the factions generally don't get along and his faction in particular despises any whiff of disloyalty or equivocation. The book apparently explains it, but in the film it's just confusing and is there solely for a shirtless scene. Nothing wrong with a bit of pandering, though Triss is apparently way hotter than the books intended, but don't cripple your own narrative for it.

Long story short, it's trying to be a broadly appealing social-justice phenomenon like the Hunger Games and winds up being Twilight with tank tops.

I've read the books. The movie was pretty well done I thought. It's a lot to get into one film so I can see how it can get confusing. I haven't looked into it, but I'm assuming they're making films for all the books. If that's the case, they've cut out some pretty important information from this one. I'm not quite sure where they're going to go with it if that's the case. They've done it in a way that it can be a one off film which I think makes it suffer. A lot can be done with the next ones which could possibly explain aspects of this film.

As for the film itself, I think it was pretty good. Obviously the book is much better, and the film is lacked in some areas, but that is to be expected. They've hinted as things that gives the plot much more substance in the latter stages. I think reading the books in this situation makes my opinion biased more than usual. I think if you're patient with the films they'll come together as a whole much better than they seem individually.

LOCONUT
April 6th, 2014, 3:41 PM
I just watched a film called Afflicted from 2013. This move was a lot of fun. Horror/Thriller type with tons of stuff happening pretty much straight away. It has moments of feeling formulaic with some overly traditional horror elements but I think it was pulled off swimmingly. I highly recommend this film.

Clutch
April 15th, 2014, 4:57 PM
Fifth 9/10 - macavoy is stunning as a hilariously putrid and diabolical character with seemingly no moral compass. Yet he still conveys just enough of a glimpse that pulls at your heartstrings. The scene where he writes some gay graffiti in the bathroom stall and laughs voraciously at himself for the act, and then steamrolls into the office feigning moral outrage at said act, was just marvelous. I didn't see "the reveal" coming, fantastic swerve. Really enjoyed this movie

Ouf of the Furnace 8/10 - Really great depiction of small town america, blue-collar, angry ptsd veterans and hillbillies and economicly depressed and not a lot of hope. Felt a bit too long. Strong performances by affleck, bale and harrelson. The opening scene with harrelson was fantastic and really set the stage.

lotjx
April 27th, 2014, 4:39 PM
Yeah, I don't disagree with any of that. Even the Grand Budapest Hotel review, but to say that I thought The Royal Tennenbaums was better and a little more accessible.

After seeing it a few hours ago, I think Budapest was easier to get into due to not having a ton of storylines revolving around it like Tennenbaums. To me, Rushmore is the easiest and simplest of his fiilms and that is probably why its his best one. Every time, Gweneth's face is in Tennenbaums, I want to spit at my TV.

son_of_foley
April 27th, 2014, 5:02 PM
The Raid 2 is awesome

Mik
April 27th, 2014, 5:09 PM
Oh it is. Although its WAY too long!

Clive Plasma
April 28th, 2014, 5:25 AM
"They Came Together" is so good.

As is "Blue Ruin".

The Rogerer
April 28th, 2014, 5:34 AM
I quite want to see Tracks. Attracted to the idea of a big mad escape, true story, and by the sounds of it the film can be said to be 'dull' in that it doesn't try to build a crescendo.

Mik
April 28th, 2014, 4:09 PM
As is "Blue Ruin".

Seeing it tomorrow, looking forward to it.

Gary J
April 28th, 2014, 4:15 PM
Ouf of the Furnace 8/10 - Really great depiction of small town america, blue-collar, angry ptsd veterans and hillbillies and economicly depressed and not a lot of hope. Felt a bit too long. Strong performances by affleck, bale and harrelson. The opening scene with harrelson was fantastic and really set the stage.

I was a bit disappointed in this I may have been expecting too much though as it had an excellent cast. First time I've ever been disappointed in a Forest Whitaker performance too.

Mik
April 28th, 2014, 4:25 PM
I dont see what there was to be disappointed for Forest. He didnt really have a lot to do.

Out of the Furnace made me realise that I really do rather like redneck media for some reason...providing there is no rape in them.

Gary J
April 28th, 2014, 6:09 PM
I think the fact Forest didn't have much to do may have helped in my disappointment. I expected him to have a bit more of a pivotal part but he just seemed miscast didn't help that he seemed to mumble his way through his lines. That's what I remember thinking at the time anyway.

Myles
May 25th, 2014, 2:06 AM
this isn't about any movie so this probably isnt the thread... but I didn't want to create a new thread and get banned or screamed at etc. :)

I need a new show. After finally getting the internet sorted out at my new house I have spent the last few weeks catching up on everything. I watched game of thrones, season 6 of SOA, the new 24, and a couple of others and it is time for a new show.

I'm watching true detective at the moment and loving it. I have downloaded the first season of suits but I don't know if it is going to be thing, it is on US network and I'm more drawn to HBO type shows. Still anything I need to see? I love shows like the wire, but am open to anything really.

any help and ill rep you so hard for it boys :D

MikeHunt
May 25th, 2014, 2:24 AM
Suits is shit

Kdestiny
May 25th, 2014, 2:27 AM
Yeah, there are tons of better shows that you can watch, like all of them for example.

As far as HBO, I love Curb your Enthusiasm, but I am a bit behind now.

Fro
May 25th, 2014, 2:28 AM
You're up on House of Cards (US)?

Kdestiny
May 25th, 2014, 2:30 AM
Netflix is wonderful, I'm in the midst of 5-6 shows now

Myles
May 25th, 2014, 2:31 AM
yeah, I finished that a couple of weeks ago. Fantastic. :yes:

I'm going to watch true detective over the next few days, after that though, I'll need something new. Suits is shit then? I have heard mixed things, same as the news room... although i have heard that is really shit.

Kdestiny
May 25th, 2014, 2:32 AM
I just started Scandal, that isn't too bad so far

Fro
May 25th, 2014, 2:33 AM
Haven't seen Suits but I would counter with Damages as an alternative. I'm only midway thru season one but it's pretty good

Kdestiny
May 25th, 2014, 2:34 AM
I have so many TV shows to watch its a bit sad

Nash Diesel
May 28th, 2014, 1:23 PM
For all you hardcore horror fans out there, Troma is releasing a Blu Ray/DVD combo pack of Bloodsucking Freaks with never before seen footage. Pre-orders are available now. One of my favorite horror movies of all time.

Clutch
May 28th, 2014, 3:48 PM
Myles, Breaking Bad

The_Mike
June 1st, 2014, 12:53 AM
Saw Maleficent today. Not fantastic or anything, but a fair bit above my expectations. The CGI was atrocious most of the time though, it was weird how ugly and dated it looked.

Gary J
June 1st, 2014, 3:19 PM
Haven't seen Suits but I would counter with Damages as an alternative. I'm only midway thru season one but it's pretty good

The first season of Damages is fantastic. I watched it because it was recommended on here and for some reason never got round to watching the later seasons. Same with Southland which is a pretty great first season also.

truffle_shuffle
June 1st, 2014, 3:24 PM

Suits is better than it has any right to be. It appears to be a guilty pleasure show on the surface but it is filled with amazing buts of drama and comedy.

I also recently got into bar rescue. It is by far the biggest guilty pleasure show i think i have ever watched.

Canuck
June 1st, 2014, 8:29 PM
Watched the second Spiderman. With low expectations, I was still disappointed. Might have set themselves up for a decent third film, but this reboot is fairly crap.

StoneColdWWE316
June 5th, 2014, 2:04 AM
Saw Maleficent today. Not fantastic or anything, but a fair bit above my expectations. The CGI was atrocious most of the time though, it was weird how ugly and dated it looked.

I really liked Maleficent,didn't know what to expect but I thought it was a good re-telling of the Story. Angelina Jolie was awesome throughout,she is one of my favorites.

Simon
June 5th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Has anyone seen Creep, a horror movie from a few years back set on the London Underground? Don't. Pile of shite. The setting should have made it claustrophobic and unsettling, but mainly it was just annoying and crap. Also, if you're going to have a deformed lunatic running around trying to murder everyone he comes into contact with, how about a little explanation of why he's doing so?

Clive Plasma
June 5th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Should watch The Tunnel. More or less the same environment, but in Australia, and a different scenario, and sort of scary.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1735485/

Donald
June 5th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Clive is that the drug dealer from Workaholics in your avatar?

Clive Plasma
June 5th, 2014, 12:19 PM
It is indeed.

The_Mike
June 5th, 2014, 12:22 PM
I really liked Maleficent,didn't know what to expect but I thought it was a good re-telling of the Story. Angelina Jolie was awesome throughout,she is one of my favorites.

Yeah, she really made the film and lifted it onto her shoulders. She could've slept through it and made a bazillion dollars but she really put in a great performance.

StoneColdWWE316
June 5th, 2014, 1:42 PM
Yeah, she really made the film and lifted it onto her shoulders. She could've slept through it and made a bazillion dollars but she really put in a great performance.

Yeah she really did. I can't name a bad Movie she has been in to be honest.

VanillaJello
June 5th, 2014, 5:28 PM
Yeah she really did. I can't name a bad Movie she has been in to be honest.

Salt

The Doc
June 5th, 2014, 5:31 PM
Tomb Raider II

Take away the post combat sex and Mr. and Mrs. Smith is at best average.

Gary J
June 5th, 2014, 6:25 PM
The Tourist is pretty shit in fact it makes Salt and Tomb Raider 2 look like classics.

Gary J
June 5th, 2014, 6:27 PM
In fact I would say Changeling is the only good movie she has appeared in (not counting her animated work here) in the last decade.

Donald
June 5th, 2014, 6:32 PM
Changeling is one of those movies I know I've seen, know the actors, director, etc. but can't remember the movie other than she loses her son.

Gary J
June 5th, 2014, 6:36 PM
Same I remember liking it though but not enough to watch again obviously.

lotjx
June 5th, 2014, 6:45 PM
Wanted.

StoneColdWWE316
June 6th, 2014, 12:22 AM
What was wrong with Salt? I watched Mr & Ms Smith the other day and I thought it was good.

I didn't care much for Wanted but not because of her. I just didn't like the story and the fact they all die at the end.

Clive Plasma
June 6th, 2014, 3:44 AM
Salt was dogshit.

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2010/08/23/1225909/050671-angelina-jolie-salt.jpg

Come on....

Mik
June 6th, 2014, 5:29 AM
I do like Jolie, but she has made a career of being a hot big star who is never in particularly good films.

Donald
June 6th, 2014, 6:59 AM
What was wrong with Salt? I watched Mr & Ms Smith the other day and I thought it was good.

I didn't care much for Wanted but not because of her. I just didn't like the story and the fact they all die at the end.

Thanks for the spoiler...

mr sabu
June 6th, 2014, 7:33 AM
movies been out for ages

not stonecolds fault you haven't seen it

Donald
June 6th, 2014, 12:25 PM
I have seen it. I was just trolling.

Jay
June 8th, 2014, 5:53 AM
No love for Edge of Tomorrow around here?

Myles
June 8th, 2014, 6:21 AM
I do like Jolie, but she has made a career of being a hot big star who is never in particularly good films.

Girl Interrupted is phenomenal. She won for it as well if I remember correctly.

Jimmy Zero
June 8th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Girl Interrupted sucks.

Kdestiny
June 8th, 2014, 12:23 PM
No love for Edge of Tomorrow around here?

Looks great, hope to get out to see it within the next few days

Jay
June 8th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I really enjoyed it. Not particularly a fan of Cruise, but I thought he was great here. And Emily Blunt is obviously never a bad thing. It had a surprisingly good dose of comedy as well. Would give it an 8.5/10. I think a lot more could have been done with the use of 3D, though.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
June 23rd, 2014, 12:40 PM
Saw 22 Jump Street today... I quite enjoyed it. More so than I thought I would. Thought it was funnier than 21 Jump Street.

One Man Gang
November 25th, 2014, 2:45 AM
I thought about getting that at the video store tonight, but instead opted for Citizen Kane.

McBain
November 25th, 2014, 2:47 AM
I guess I don't need to make this then Mik as you already did it.

Beer-Belly
November 25th, 2014, 2:50 AM
Citizen Kane is wonderful. It's truly timeless.

Mik
November 25th, 2014, 10:56 AM
I guess I don't need to make this then Mik as you already did it.

Oh I'm good.

Canuck
December 3rd, 2014, 5:32 PM
Predestination. Anyone else seen it?

I doubt it is the type of film to gain any momentum on this forum, mainly because it is not a blockbuster. Saw it last night with no prior knowledge of what it was, and I was very satisfied. It is not the type of film that makes you guess throughout, but the ending is clever and well disguised. Not an edge of your seat thriller, but written well enough to keep you engaged throughout. I think it is worth checking out for sure.

Donald
December 3rd, 2014, 5:44 PM
They still have video stores?

Nash Diesel
December 3rd, 2014, 6:06 PM
They still have video stores?

We have Family Video, pretty much the only franchise video store. Fucking shame too, I hate Redbox. I don't like the idea of having to drive around looking for a movie or even reserving one that I want to see that's on the other side of town outside of a shithole gas station in the freezing rain just so I can go home to find out that it's the "special redbox version with no special features" fuck off.

Bert
December 3rd, 2014, 8:03 PM
Citizen Kane is wonderful. It's truly timeless.

http://i.imgur.com/LYRZ5RE.jpg

sam_elmendorf
December 17th, 2014, 3:39 PM
THE INTERVIEW

Anyone have opinions on the terror threats regarding this movie.

I'm personally getting sick of everything pissing someone off somewhere. It's a damn movie. People get too damn sensitive about something, put it out there for other people to chime in and be sensitive about it, then we're assholes because we support it or don't have a problem with it, or get threatened if we support something.

The_Mike
December 17th, 2014, 4:09 PM
The issue with The Interview is hardly the same as people being sensitive or politically correct about a movie. It's not like moaning that Exodus is full of white people playing Egyptians and Semites. It's about a lunatic dictator in charge of a state with nuclear weapons that is politically structured as a cult devoted to the worship of their supreme leader, and as a result some people who love him want to murder people as revenge for a film that makes fun of the guy they adore. The people who are threatening anyone for supporting it aren't SJWs, they're literal terrorists.

Clive Plasma
December 17th, 2014, 5:00 PM
The moment it is available to see, I will see it. I love the hacks - I think what is coming out of them is comical. It's amazing how little of a clue the guys in Sony have. Arguing about how they should make more original films like Hunger Games (based on a book - Battle Royale rip off) and Girl With A Dragon Tattoo (US Remake). Bitching about everyone, to everyone.

It's a great publicity stunt though, the cinemas that will show it will be packed out. The hackers don't realise that by doing this, people are now more invested in their film than ever.

Can't let them win though. Show it everywhere.

Simmo Fortyone
December 17th, 2014, 5:07 PM
Whole thing is a publicity stunt.

Seanny One Ball
December 17th, 2014, 5:13 PM
Is that post about Creep serious Simon? If it is that's hilarious

Hero!
December 17th, 2014, 7:24 PM
Sony has officially cancelled the release. Terrorists have won.

Somewhere, a bald eagle is weeping.

virms
December 17th, 2014, 7:46 PM
Can the hackers at least leak the movie online ffs.

RuneEdge
December 17th, 2014, 7:50 PM
Anyone here seen Enemy with Jake Gyllenhaal?

Im interested in what people's interpretation of the story/ending is. The whole thing was kinda weird.

Fro
December 17th, 2014, 7:54 PM
The Interview totally justifies a thread I mean it's causing an international controversy with threats of another 9/11. It's dominating not just entertainment news but news news. But anyway....

We Are Marshall
I watched this on cable. It was pretty good but not great. It was almost exactly the same tone and style as Remember The Titans so I assume it's from the same production group (I know both are Disney). Except it's not as good as Remember the Titans in just about anyway. I give it a decent 5.5/10.

Hero!
December 17th, 2014, 7:57 PM
Can the hackers at least leak the movie online ffs.

they leaked it online like 2 weeks ago.

virms
December 17th, 2014, 7:59 PM
Well thanks for telling me this two weeks ago hero. I am definitely going to go vote you worst poster now.

sam_elmendorf
December 17th, 2014, 8:40 PM
THE INTERVIEW now has it's own thread.

http://forums.rajah.com/showthread.php?149144-THE-INTERVIEW

Clive Plasma
December 18th, 2014, 3:28 AM
Anyone here seen Enemy with Jake Gyllenhaal?

Im interested in what people's interpretation of the story/ending is. The whole thing was kinda weird.

My interpretation of it is that Gyllenhaal’s character(s) are the same person. The spiders represent the web of lies he has made, and he is genuinely that delusional that he believes he has an identical ‘body double’. There are some really clever moments pointing to the ongoing theme of this ‘web’, such as the smash on the car screen or the wires overhead, but above all else he is man repressed by repetition, and has a web of lies so deep that even he has managed convince himself of his doubles existence.

Mik
December 18th, 2014, 10:45 AM
The moment it is available to see, I will see it. I love the hacks - I think what is coming out of them is comical. It's amazing how little of a clue the guys in Sony have. Arguing about how they should make more original films like Hunger Games (based on a book - Battle Royale rip off) and Girl With A Dragon Tattoo (US Remake). Bitching about everyone, to everyone.

I think 'Battle Royale rip off' is a bit lazy.

Clive Plasma
December 18th, 2014, 10:57 AM
I think 'Battle Royale rip off' is a bit lazy.

That is essentially what it is though, isn't it? I admit I haven't seen it, it is what I have heard it described as numerous times, I was merely stating that when they point to 'original' films, the ones they have chosen to prove their point are hardly original.

Mik
December 18th, 2014, 11:00 AM
It is obviously inspired by things like Running Man and Battle Royale (although the author of the books claims to have known nothing about Battle Royale), but the series turns into being about more than that, it is more about rebellion and propaganda and over-throwing oppressive regimes. You should watch them.

The Rogerer
December 18th, 2014, 11:02 AM
They're original cinematic properties rather than trading off an existing brand. You wouldn't get very far if you discounted films based on books. They're also interested in being good rather than being a payday for Adam Sandler and a product placement circus.