PDA

View Full Version : New daft punk album!

MikeHunt
April 17th, 2013, 6:23 AM
Released 21st of may in the uk a day later in the USA. I genuinely can't wait. Eclectic selection of guests throughout the album.

They played a clip of a track at cochella and the funk influence is clear.

my only worry is that with all the collaborations the tracks are lost in the shuffle with the collaberation heavy nature of music at the moment.

anyone else fucking hyped up for this?

JP
April 21st, 2013, 8:39 AM
Cannot fucking wait.

Discovery's still my favourite dance album ever and I seem to be playing Get Lucky on a continuous loop since it got put out, just some disco funk greatness.

Not counting Tron, waited 8 years for this bloody thing and it looks like it's been worth the wait.

MikeHunt
May 10th, 2013, 2:58 AM
Just heard some wee snipits last night from a music journo friend of mine. Unbelievable. This is the sound of the next summer and next year. Expect shit will.i.am and guetta slants on it soon but for now......lets fucking disco.

was also out and about round a few clubs last week and get lucky is making people move. Making people move like I've never witnessed. I'm so so so excited to hear this full thing and see these guys live as many time before they call it a day:

JP
May 10th, 2013, 3:19 AM
I can't put into words how crushed I was about not being able to go to any of the festivals hosting the Alive tour.

I want this album NOW!

Simon
May 10th, 2013, 4:35 AM
I don't get the Daft Punk hype at all. That new song is as bland and derivative as every other commercial dance track out, yet people have completely lost their minds over it. Inexplicable. I don't dislike them by any means - One More Time was the sound of the summer years back - but I don't see anything noteworthy about them that would make me think they would be elevated above any other dance act.

McBain
May 10th, 2013, 4:47 AM
Go and stick yourself some artful dodger on mate.

GARRIDGE.

MikeHunt
May 10th, 2013, 4:52 AM
I don't get the Daft Punk hype at all. That new song is as bland and derivative as every other commercial dance track out, yet people have completely lost their minds over it. Inexplicable. I don't dislike them by any means - One More Time was the sound of the summer years back - but I don't see anything noteworthy about them that would make me think they would be elevated above any other dance act.

Everything they've ever done has been spectacular. Discovery is one of if not the greatest dance album of all time. That's not subjective that's fact. They are honestly one of the best live acts I've ever seen. JP do what ever you can to get to the next tour.

MikeHunt
May 10th, 2013, 4:55 AM
Also I'm not going to lie I was a bit underwhelmed by get lucky initially but it's simplicity is its beauty. The same with all disco and funk music proper simple.

Simon
May 10th, 2013, 5:01 AM
Go and stick yourself some artful dodger on mate.

GARRIDGE.

Go rock out to the music of an established child rapist.

PROFFITZ.

JP
May 10th, 2013, 5:01 AM
I don't get the Daft Punk hype at all. That new song is as bland and derivative as every other commercial dance track out, yet people have completely lost their minds over it.

It's nothing like anything else doing the rounds at the moment, a proper simple throwback and awesome for it. It is unashamedly their most classically pop sounding track to date, but given how pop itself has moved to a more edgy sound, that in itself stands out.

It is Chic with robots. You hear it, you start to move with the beat.

Simon
May 10th, 2013, 5:25 AM
It's nothing like anything else doing the rounds at the moment, a proper simple throwback and awesome for it. It is unashamedly their most classically pop sounding track to date, but given how pop itself has moved to a more edgy sound, that in itself stands out.

It is Chic with robots. You hear it, you start to move with the beat.
Well it (possibly directly?) rips off Junior Senior's "Move Your Feet", there's more than a hint of Armand Van Helden's "Full Moon" and - go with me on this - something of Bloodhound Gang's "The Bad Touch" as well (I think it's the bassline).

I'm not saying the song is shit - it's fine, it's perfectly serviceable dance/pop, catchy enough to be a big hit for sure and better than most of the R&B/dance hybrids and electro-fuck that has been around for the past few years. I just don't get the overreaction to it, like it's notably fresh or original.

Simon
May 10th, 2013, 5:31 AM
Incidentally, The Artful Dodger DID actually provide something fresh and original, whether you liked them or not. There was a lot of crap, derivative, simple garage about, much of it I'm a big fan of...The Artful Dodger were a huge step above that, and are rightly respected in the dance 'community' such as it is. They were instrumental in building that scene. Terrible choice by McBain.

McBain
May 10th, 2013, 5:50 AM
Incidentally, The Artful Dodger DID actually provide something fresh and original, whether you liked them or not. There was a lot of crap, derivative, simple garage about, much of it I'm a big fan of...The Artful Dodger were a huge step above that, and are rightly respected in the dance 'community' such as it is. They were instrumental in building that scene. Terrible choice by McBain.

It was a throwaway comment, don't get your nickers in a twist.

Simon
May 10th, 2013, 5:55 AM
I don't think it's getting my knickers in a twist to mention a genuinely innovative and important dance act in the context of this thread, is it?

Bennedy
May 10th, 2013, 6:01 AM
I don't know how Simon has come to the conclusion that Get Lucky is another bland dance track. The people I have talked to seem to agree that it is a breath of fresh air compared to what is about at the moment. I agree with them.

MikeHunt
May 10th, 2013, 6:10 AM
Simon I genuinely don't know where you've been hearing electro-funk in the charts. R'n'b-electro, pop-electro, r'n'b-dance, pop-dance and dubstep elements. but I don't recall anything /funk.

Artful dodger were the bollocks btw. Seen them djing a few times in the last couple of years and what a set they do. Love a bit of uk garage.

Ringo
May 10th, 2013, 6:31 AM
Lots of Daft Punk songs are essentially remixes/reinventions of old 70s and 80s funk and disco songs (eg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVVfZAZdIUs). I always thought they took sampling a little further but I don't really care. Music isn't just about originality or how much credit the artist should get for songwriting. I enjoy the whole aesthetic (the helmets, cover art, videos etc.) and attitude towards live shows. They're just great fun - an entertaining arena-style throwback tribute act. It'd be difficult to not be enticed by their appeal. Some legitimately good stuff came out of that whole Electro movement they spearheaded and the related Ed Banger sound.

"Get Lucky"'s release coincided with a bit of sun here, so having that on my iPod was a treat. Have got a little tired of it though.

Simon
May 10th, 2013, 6:46 AM
Simon I genuinely don't know where you've been hearing electro-funk in the charts. R'n'b-electro, pop-electro, r'n'b-dance, pop-dance and dubstep elements. but I don't recall anything /funk.

I didn't say electro-funk :cool: :D

Simon
May 10th, 2013, 6:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DTzIlskagM

MikeHunt
May 10th, 2013, 7:27 AM
From 2000 Simon. Jesus.

MikeHunt
May 10th, 2013, 7:27 AM
Might as well say it sounds like chic.

Hlebsfall
May 13th, 2013, 4:02 PM
Just downloaded the album. It's pony.

Stringer Bell
May 13th, 2013, 5:09 PM
I've never seen so much hype for an album as there has been for this. It's wild. I mean, I know they make great music, but it's like everyone is suddenly a massive Daft Punk fan.

That said, the album sounds pretty good.

Jimmy Zero
May 13th, 2013, 5:37 PM
I've only heard Get Lucky, so far. Meh. It sounds like Jamiroquai, or something.

I'll certainly give the album a fair shot because they've got a fantastic track record, but I wasn't too into the new song.

Simon
May 14th, 2013, 5:31 AM
I've only heard Get Lucky, so far. Meh. It sounds like Jamiroquai, or something.

Ahahaha yes, it fucking does.

Simmo Fortyone
May 16th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Agree in part with Simon that they are overhyped, but that isn't synonymous with "bad". Get Lucky is a fantastic track.

Had a couple of Facebook friends shit upon the album, but I know that they're clowns who were expecting Discovery Part 2: Discoveryer

MikeHunt
May 23rd, 2013, 3:38 AM
I think the album is a fucking quality piece of music. I've listened to it several times over the last week and what a grower IMO. Initially I felt that the funk/disco elements were a bit heavy but I love the relentless guitar riff that runs through the album.

I can understand why people maybe don't get it or don't think it's daft punk sounding but really I think that there are elements of their previous albums and throughout the tracks and there are nods to their influences, some subtle some not. There is some beautiful little flutters of pure electronica throughout and the robots have done a good one.

For me it's a quality 8.5/10.

LOCONUT
May 23rd, 2013, 3:56 AM
Dancey nonsense for dickheads. People who play this in their car are absolute shit. Douche music.

MikeHunt
May 23rd, 2013, 8:21 AM
How about I listen to some music for men with feelings??? Who the real bender GBF?

JP
May 23rd, 2013, 9:12 AM
Me. :wiggle:

A bit disappointed to be honest. Georgio by Moroder is head and shoulders above everything else on the album. You can tell the time, precision and care they've put into this and it is impressive in its scope, but there is an element of fun missing, which I've never felt with Daft Punk before.

Hoping it grows on me, and it is by no means a bad or even mediocre album, it is good, but I was expecting a bit more oomph.

I do wonder if they resent what they help create though, in the pop-electro monster machine.

The Rosk
May 23rd, 2013, 9:51 AM
Dancey nonsense for dickheads. People who play this in their car are absolute shit. Douche music.

Yeppers.

MikeHunt
May 23rd, 2013, 9:59 AM
Me. :wiggle:

A bit disappointed to be honest. Georgio by Moroder is head and shoulders above everything else on the album. You can tell the time, precision and care they've put into this and it is impressive in its scope, but there is an element of fun missing, which I've never felt with Daft Punk before.

Hoping it grows on me, and it is by no means a bad or even mediocre album, it is good, but I was expecting a bit more oomph.

I do wonder if they resent what they help create though, in the pop-electro monster machine.

To me the nicest thing about it is that te sound despite being recycled sounds so fucking fresh compared to the codine laced r'n'b, electro hip hop and fucking dubstep themes the majority of music has had in the last 1-3 years.

I totally understand where you are coming from though with the fun element.

I read yesterday they have no plans to tour this though which if true is so disappointing!

JP
May 23rd, 2013, 10:07 AM
Oh, completely. It was a very smart move, by moving away from they built themselves on - by the way Simon, brilliant call on the samples used in Get Lucky :facepalm: - and stripping it down to building it up piece by piece with different, top of their field session musicians they stand out like crazy. It's almost like HD for your ears as opposed to the majority of things, sounds almost crisper.

I think it will probably grow on me and the fun element will show itself less n how the music makes you feel and more an appreciation of the music itself. I also can't deny that a little bit of me probably wanted an old school vibe to it to help me forget I hit 30 earlier this year. Ah we'll, just have to stick on Face to Face and accept my impending death.

Yep, no tour, not even a one off supergig. :(

JP
June 3rd, 2013, 4:37 PM
Very glad to find this is seriously growing on me.

MikeHunt
June 3rd, 2013, 5:01 PM
There is comfrimation that they will be remixing the album as well. So all the mongs that don't like this will have something they can gush over pretty soon.

Dubya
June 3rd, 2013, 8:04 PM
Finally got around to listening to this album over the weekend .. pretty ace. :yes:

wardy
June 3rd, 2013, 8:14 PM
Haven't listened to the album yet but Get Lucky grew on me and Daft Punk in general are awesome.

MikeHunt
June 3rd, 2013, 8:17 PM
please listen to it a few times before judging it lads. its a proper grower.

Slare
June 4th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Yeah agree with Mike. Wasn't bowled over with it to begin with, but I've listened right the way through a good half dozen times and it's really good. Works best as an 'album' rather than a collection of songs. Lots of nice ideas they carry right the way through and plenty of coda's back to other songs and the like. Really enjoying it. Touch, Lose Yourself to Dance and 'seedy german talking guy' are tremendous, although the latter is just probably because it reminds me of the music in Blackpool tower off of my childhood.

Simon
June 4th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Basement Jaxx were making more interesting, diverse and innovative, and just as unlistenable, music a decade ago, why didn't anyone claim them as the second coming of dancing dancy dance? And why does Scotland only seem to recognise dance music's various genres as the entirety of music? That and the Proclaimers song.

JP
June 4th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Basement Jaxx were making more interesting, diverse and innovative, and just as unlistenable, music a decade ago, why didn't anyone claim them as the second coming of dancing dancy dance? And why does Scotland only seem to recognise dance music's various genres as the entirety of music? That and the Proclaimers song.

I adore Remedy, which is still their best album by quite a distance, but it's not a patch on Discovery or even Homework.

And while I'm a fan they've hardly been that diverse, especially early on. Remedy, Rooty and Kish Kash all had an incredibly similar sound.

Slare
June 4th, 2013, 1:26 PM

I don't really like dance music. I don't really see this as my perception of 'dance' music (Hardwell and all that arse). I just like it because it sounds nice in my ears.

MikeHunt
June 4th, 2013, 1:45 PM

Stop being a mong.

In reply;
1 - basement jaxx are brilliant.
2 - you may have a jaded memory but daft punk are one of the biggest dance acts in te world for more than 10 years. One more time ring any fucking bells? Massive cross over track that sounded fresh when it was released due to how different it sounded. Just like get lucky now. See a pattern?
3 - Of course there are different sub genres of dance music. Just like there is with any generalised genre. Do you think death grips would be happy being called rap which would put them under the same bracket as 50 cent. Doubt it. Dance is a general term, sub genres like electro, wonk, dubstep all sound completely different so why generalise.
4 - the proclaimers are shit and only snp independence chasing nationalist fucking morons jump around downing buckfast and blues to that sort of nonsense.

now go and listen to coca cola freestyling in a dingy basement from Brixton and shut up about music you clearly have no interest in or knowledge of.

Simon
June 4th, 2013, 1:56 PM
I'm only winding you up about the dance music, it does seem to be very popular in Scotland and the north though. Can't get enough of that happy hardcore toot.

I'm not saying DP haven't had any decent tunes - One More Time was pretty good for sure. But if you are honestly claiming Get Lucky is fresh or different to everything else around, you have completely cracked. Plus they can get fucked for releasing that Around The World track which is possibly the most irritating song of all time.

Basement Jaxx are alright actually, having thought about it I liked quite a lot of their stuff and, as I mentioned before, it was innovative and diverse. Hated a couple of their big releases though - Romeo, Red Alert and Where's Your Head At? were all wankypants.

Slare
June 4th, 2013, 2:00 PM
Dance music is strangely massive up here, moreso now than in a long long while. I don't mind it but I just don't fit in with the 'dance culture' (apart from when I'm having sex in foam parties victim number 3 etc).

I've genuinely not had much time for Daft Punk before this album and actually listened to it quite begrudginly, but it was totally different from what I expected and I really like it.

Basement Jaxx are no Artful Dodger.

MikeHunt
June 4th, 2013, 2:01 PM
I asked you before to give me examples of dance music song which sounds as fresh as get lucky and you posted an armand van helden track from 10 years ago. It is a recycled sound with their twist on it but compared to everything that's out right now it sounds so fresh.

Slare
June 4th, 2013, 2:29 PM
Scissor Sisters.

MikeHunt
June 4th, 2013, 3:03 PM
Joke I assume.