PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Cup Final?

Peter Griffin
April 14th, 2013, 11:56 AM
With the FA Cup final on the horizon, I figured we could discuss our own personal favorite cup finals. For me it has to be this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OXvDcfIV9w

Purely because it was the first cup final I watched from whistle to whistle as a kid and it got me hooked on football..maybe im looking at it through rose tinted glasses (weird phrase), but I remember loving this game, Chelsea went into the break 0-0 and comfortable, Man Utd destroyed them in the second half, beautiful stuff. Also wasnt this the final when Hansen said you cant win anything with kids? Might be wrong on the front though.

JP
April 14th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Carling Cup Final 2011 - Arsenal vs. Birmingham

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io7838EA-iw

Do I really need to explain why?

Peter Griffin
April 14th, 2013, 12:02 PM
No, I think I get it ;), I went batshit celebrating the Martins goal and I dont even like Birmingham :rofl:

Gary J
April 14th, 2013, 12:17 PM
1987 Coventry Spurs final. Was a cracking game from start to finish probably being nostalgic but it was probably up there as one of the best games i've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Paks-qbF-x8

turdpower
April 14th, 2013, 1:25 PM
With the FA Cup final on the horizon, I figured we could discuss our own personal favorite cup finals. For me it has to be this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OXvDcfIV9w

Purely because it was the first cup final I watched from whistle to whistle as a kid and it got me hooked on football..maybe im looking at it through rose tinted glasses (weird phrase), but I remember loving this game, Chelsea went into the break 0-0 and comfortable, Man Utd destroyed them in the second half, beautiful stuff. Also wasnt this the final when Hansen said you cant win anything with kids? Might be wrong on the front though.

Nar the Hansen comment was 1995/96 first day of the Premier League season against Aston Villa after having lost 3-1.

turdpower
April 14th, 2013, 1:26 PM
Also it's a horrible answer that probably doesn't keep in spirit with the thread (as I assume you mean domestic) but; the 1999 Champions League final

:D

MMH
April 14th, 2013, 3:27 PM
1987 Coventry Spurs final. Was a cracking game from start to finish probably being nostalgic but it was probably up there as one of the best games i've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Paks-qbF-x8

That was my first thought too. Great match.

connorboy
April 15th, 2013, 12:35 PM
If we're counting playoff finals then you won't beat the 98 Division One Playoff Final

FA Cup finals Arsenal 2-0 Chelsea was funny but West Ham vs Liverpool was a great Fa cup final

1_Pablo_Angel
April 15th, 2013, 3:13 PM
1996 League Cup Final. Still my favourite footballing memory.

The Rosk
April 15th, 2013, 3:16 PM
Me too. Complete domination.

Hlebsfall
April 15th, 2013, 3:27 PM
Beating Sheffield Wednesday twice in a month in the League and FA cup finals. Topped off by Andy Linighan jumping 15 feet into the air and crashing in a header for the win. These days he would have been sold to Barcelona for 15m. Instead he's now a plumber, with the logo 'Average Footballer - Excellent Plumber' on the side of his van.

MikeHunt
April 15th, 2013, 3:30 PM
Scottish Cup 2002.

my god what a fucking game. Best game I've ever been to in person by a million miles!

connorboy
April 15th, 2013, 3:39 PM
Beating Sheffield Wednesday twice in a month in the League and FA cup finals. Topped off by Andy Linighan jumping 15 feet into the air and crashing in a header for the win. These days he would have been sold to Barcelona for 15m. Instead he's now a plumber, with the logo 'Average Footballer - Excellent Plumber' on the side of his van.

Don't forget Big Tone dropping poor Stevie Morrow on his shoulder and breaking his arm

Peter Griffin
April 15th, 2013, 4:13 PM
1996 League Cup Final. Still my favourite footballing memory.

I honestly dont remember this final, but I would of thought 1994 would of held just as good memories for Villa fans?

1_Pablo_Angel
April 15th, 2013, 4:45 PM
That was my first proper footballing memory. It was bloody brilliant but in a different way.

Against Leeds we were just awesome though. That team was seriously good until Stan and Sasa somehow completely ruined it.

The Rosk
April 15th, 2013, 4:53 PM
Wasn't helped through Draper going shit and Townsend aging and McGrath going to Derby. I can literally remember every result of the 95/96 season by memory, goalscorers and everything. First full year that obsessed me. Yorke that season remains the best player I've seen in a Villa shirt.

Peter Griffin
April 15th, 2013, 4:55 PM
Wasn't helped through Draper going shit and Townsend aging and McGrath going to Derby. I can literally remember every result of the 95/96 season by memory, goalscorers and everything. First full year that obsessed me. Yorke that season remains the best player I've seen in a Villa shirt.

Wasnt McGrath virtually crippled and half cut all the time by the time he came to us? still a good player though.

The Rosk
April 15th, 2013, 5:03 PM
Yes. He was fucked. He was 36. He was actually quite fit for his age when he left us outside of his knees, and I remember him doing pretty well to g you to midtable or so.

Peter Griffin
April 15th, 2013, 5:07 PM
Yep he certainly helped us stay up in our first season in the Premier League.

1_Pablo_Angel
April 15th, 2013, 5:15 PM
He was always half cut. He used to disappear for days on massive benders and no-one would know where he was. The club just covered for him whenever this happened. Don't think he'd get away with it now.