PDA

View Full Version : Christopher Nolan's Interstellar

Beer-Belly
April 4th, 2013, 10:36 AM
I searched, but couldn't find anything.

Matthew McConaughey to star in Christopher Nolan's Interstellar
Nolan's forthcoming film, a science-fiction time-travel drama influenced by physicist Kip Thorne, will include the Texan actor

Ben Child

guardian.co.uk, Thursday 4 April 2013 09.08 EDT

Matthew McConaughey has confirmed he will star in Christopher Nolan's next film, the science fiction-themed Interstellar.

The Texas-born actor, whose performances in recent films Magic Mike and Killer Joe have been well received by critics, made the admission during an interview with the Minneapolis Star Tribune. He revealed no other details about his role in the film.

Interstellar has previously been described as an original science-fiction film about time travel and alternate dimensions. It will written by the British film-maker's younger brother and regular collaborator Jonathan, riffing off scientific theories developed by Kip Thorne, a theoretical physicist, gravitational physicist and astrophysicist at Caltech, the California Institute of Technology. Reportedly complex and multilayered, the film's plot will centre on a group of space explorers who travel through a wormhole.

The famously secretive elder Nolan has announced little about the film, which is his follow-up to last year's The Dark Knight Rises. McConaughey has more than proved himself over the past few years. I haven't seen Magic Mike, but Killer Joe and Bernie were both fantastic.

The movie was originally written for Spielberg, but he backed out due to having a full plate.

Jimmy Zero
April 4th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Sounds pretty cool.

I'm really glad McConaughey has started branching out from the rom-com bullshit he was constantly starring in. Yeah, there was other stuff he did like Sahara, or that submarine movie, but starring in horrendous garbage like How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days and Wedding Planner really started to sour me on him. It was disappointing, too, because when he first started getting big, it seemed like he'd be in a wider range of movies. Lone Star, for one, was an awesome movie. It's nice to see that, in the last few years, he's started to act in movies that are interesting to more than just bored housewives.

Beer-Belly
April 4th, 2013, 10:51 AM
He always had promise. He just made some poor choices and got relegated to romantic comedy hell for far too long.

Maybe this will silence the idiots who complain about Nolan only using a certain group of actors.

The movie is due November 7, 2014.

Mik
April 12th, 2013, 1:59 PM
Anne Hathaway cast too. Nolan loves his loyalty.

Beer-Belly
April 13th, 2013, 7:33 AM
Reusing a stable of actors isn't anything new. Hitchcock did it.

Mik
April 13th, 2013, 7:35 AM
Erm...I dont think that anyone is saying its anything new mate. Loads of directors have done it. Most directors have their recurrent 'muses' anyway. In fact I doubt that there's many directors you can find who dont generally collaborate with many of the same people.

Kdestiny
April 13th, 2013, 4:58 PM
Tim Burton especially.

seems decent casting but I'll hold my judgement until I've seen more

Newf
April 13th, 2013, 8:21 PM
Tim Burton especially.

seems decent casting but I'll hold my judgement until I've seen more
http://rukkle.com/wp-content/uploads/johnny-depp-lifes-too-short-620X400.jpg
"Do you have any idea who my leading lady is on this film?"
"In the Tim Burton film? Um... Helena Bonham Carter?"
"... how'd you know?"

Beer-Belly
July 26th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Ellen Burstyn, John Lithgow, Topher Grace, and Wes Bentley recently joined the cast. This movie is fucking stacked.

Beer-Belly
August 28th, 2013, 4:16 PM
Matt Damon has joined the cast in a small role. Again, what a fucking cast.

Alf
August 28th, 2013, 5:50 PM
McConnablah is no incredible form at the moment. He has one coming (dallas buyers club) where he plays a guy with aids who border hops to Mexico to buy drugs and sell them on the black market. Then The Wolf of Wall Street. Then there's mud, magic mike, and killer joe from last year. He's making great moves.

Mik
August 28th, 2013, 6:05 PM
Aye, he's on quite a tear. Mud is one of my favourite films of the year so far.

Beer-Belly
December 14th, 2013, 9:02 PM
Teaser trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyc6RJEEe0U

Fro
December 14th, 2013, 9:39 PM
Well that didn't reveal anything. I don't love Mcconoghey as a lead tbh. he's better in a supporting role.

Jimmy Zero
December 14th, 2013, 9:49 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority, but that's a terrible teaser.

It does nothing to drum up any interest I have in the movie. It's, dare I say, boring.

mth
December 14th, 2013, 9:53 PM
Yeah, that teaser did nothing for me. Very bland.

The_Mike
December 14th, 2013, 9:53 PM
I wasn't particularly impressed either. It tells us nothing, except going into space is cool. We know that.

Beer-Belly
December 14th, 2013, 10:31 PM
It's going to be an effects heavy movie, so I wonder if the effects not being finished has anything to with the minimal amount of footage. I'm definitely not blown away by it either, but it's only a teaser and people always bitch when trailers show too much of a film.

lotjx
December 15th, 2013, 12:06 AM
I liked it. I am there next year. I do like the fuck you to letting NASA go even if has nothing to do with NASA.

Mik
December 15th, 2013, 6:47 AM
It feels very much like early man of steel teasers to me. I think MM is going to be tremendous in this.

JP
December 15th, 2013, 7:30 AM
Yeah, I think McConoghey's good enough to anchor this. He's not your classic centrepiece but just look at some of his previous performances, especially A Time To Kill.

MikeHunt
December 15th, 2013, 7:37 AM
Mud is awesome. He's amazing in it.

Fro
December 15th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Well this is a sci fi movie about space travel so we definitely need some folksy down to earth enthusiasm to keep it grounded. Said the casting director of both this and Contact.

Jimmy Zero
December 15th, 2013, 11:48 AM
It's going to be an effects heavy movie, so I wonder if the effects not being finished has anything to with the minimal amount of footage. I'm definitely not blown away by it either, but it's only a teaser and people always bitch when trailers show too much of a film.

Showing too much of the film in teasers and trailers is annoying. Hovever, this gives us nothing. I have no clue what this movie is even about based on that trailer. It just as easily be a period piece about developing the space program as it could be about traveling through a worm hole.

I'm still super excited to see this, but this trailer is a total let down.

Mik
December 15th, 2013, 7:25 PM
Showing too much of the film in teasers and trailers is annoying. Hovever, this gives us nothing. I have no clue what this movie is even about based on that trailer. It just as easily be a period piece about developing the space program as it could be about traveling through a worm hole.

I'm still super excited to see this, but this trailer is a total let down.

I agree in part, but really didnt expect anything else. Nolan is super secretive.

VanillaJello
May 16th, 2014, 1:53 PM
First full-length trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWdZVtXT7E

Bad Collin
May 16th, 2014, 2:20 PM
Looks amazing

Kdestiny
May 16th, 2014, 2:23 PM
Woah

TimeSplitter
May 16th, 2014, 3:03 PM
Now THAT'S a trailer!

VHS
May 16th, 2014, 3:19 PM
I'm going to be in the minority here. Trailer looks really good, it's just that I'm feeling tired of this story. We've seen stuff like this many many times like in Armageddon or Sunshine for starters... and it's another movie with the family man aspect that's meant to tug on our heart strings. Love Nolan, love his work, but his storytelling and directing took a dip with Dark Knight Rises. I'll give this a go though.

LOCONUT
May 16th, 2014, 3:47 PM
Wow

lotjx
May 16th, 2014, 4:13 PM
I am all about this, yet I do think we have seen this before which doesn't mean it won't be the best of the bunch.

LOCONUT
May 16th, 2014, 4:16 PM
it doesn't exactly have stiff competition. sunshine was half a great movie.

Bad Collin
May 16th, 2014, 4:20 PM
And Armageddon is the worst film ever

Jimmy Zero
May 16th, 2014, 4:42 PM
This looks great.

Since when does a movie have to have a totally original concept, anyways?

Kdestiny
May 16th, 2014, 4:49 PM
This looks great.

Since when does a movie have to have a totally original concept, anyways?

It's really hard to be original anymore.

I have friends who started hating Nolan. I don't think it's because his movies are bad, I think it's because he has become too popular and important. I know good work when I see it.

JustDuett
May 16th, 2014, 5:02 PM
And without pulling out ALL of the snarky comments, how many movies these days have a completely original concept? Very very few...

Anyhoo, the trailer looks great, I love the storyline and have hopes that this movie handles it well. Looking forward to it!

Ringo
May 17th, 2014, 6:15 AM
I love McConaughey.

Beer-Belly
May 17th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Love Nolan, love his work, but his storytelling and directing took a dip with Dark Knight Rises.
No, it really didn't. The movie had it's issues, but it was engaging and entertaining throughout.

wardy
May 17th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Armageddon is great.

Alf
May 17th, 2014, 7:54 PM
I'm going to be in the minority here. Trailer looks really good, it's just that I'm feeling tired of this story. We've seen stuff like this many many times like in Armageddon or Sunshine for starters... and it's another movie with the family man aspect that's meant to tug on our heart strings. Love Nolan, love his work, but his storytelling and directing took a dip with Dark Knight Rises. I'll give this a go though.

Well... It really depends on how much of the film we are seeing in the trailer. We could only be seeing from the first act. If it goes on past the wormhole stuff then it could be very interesting indeed.

El Capitano Gatisto
May 17th, 2014, 8:15 PM
And Armageddon is the worst film ever

Have a word with yourself. Class film.

Matthew
May 17th, 2014, 8:16 PM
i don't wanna close my eyes

i don't wanna fall asleep

cause i miss you ecg

and i don't wanna miss a thing

truffle_shuffle
May 17th, 2014, 8:26 PM
Or VHS could rewind a bit. He is excited over godzilla and robocop, both of which fall into the same thing he is talking about here to a degree.

godzilla is especially the same old thing too if we are nitpicking. Big monster attack, big monster protects from other monster, city destroyed, etc. Just because the cgi capability and the modern day warfare has changed doesn't mean it changes the ultimate premise of the story.

I for one think this looks tremendous and I am anxious see a few more trailers to let me in on more of the story.

seems this will be plotted more realistic (as Nolan tends to do) and I am looking forward to hearing and seeing the deep space exploration bits. Also ever since gravity's astounding visuals I am excited for more realistic space stories. Again, something Nolan roots himself in.

My biggest concern is not building up too much hype in my mind.

Percussion
May 18th, 2014, 10:01 PM
Well... It really depends on how much of the film we are seeing in the trailer. We could only be seeing from the first act. If it goes on past the wormhole stuff then it could be very interesting indeed.

I think it appears fairly certain the story will go all the way past the passage of the wormhole. And I'm gonna give Nolan benefit of the doubt that he wouldn't take on a project that grandiose without feeling he can make at the least an interesting story out of it.

VHS
May 18th, 2014, 10:10 PM
Don't get me wrong... I'm sure this movie will be awesome and I'll enjoy it along with the rest of ya. I just don't want somebody like you (truffle) picking my nose after everybody says how good it is.

Mik
May 19th, 2014, 5:00 PM
I think it looks good, much more conventional than Nolan's usual, but I'm interested.

Bad Collin
May 19th, 2014, 5:56 PM
Have a word with yourself. Class film.

I hated everything about it; stupid idea, cheesy acting, that fucking song.

Beer-Belly
July 31st, 2014, 4:44 AM
New trailer:

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/interstellar-trailer-christopher-nolan-1201272055/

Can't fucking wait.

Chris
September 29th, 2014, 2:55 PM
New TV trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Amsgu7lNE

There's a few new TV spots as well which tend to show the same sort of footage. I think I'm going to avoid looking at anything else now. The story has hooked me, and I don't want to see any spoilers from the post-wormhole part of the film.

Fro
October 1st, 2014, 1:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vxOhd4qlnA

3rd trailer... Best one yet :hyper:

Jimmy Zero
October 27th, 2014, 6:53 PM
Early reviews are putting this on par with Close Encounters. If it's even half the movie that Close Encounters is, this is going to be a classic.

Atty
October 27th, 2014, 6:55 PM
So excited for this. Even more so as I've avoided ALL spoilers. All I know is the trailers and hope to keep it that way.

G-Fresh
October 27th, 2014, 6:57 PM
I really dislike Christopher Nolan, but this shit looks dope.

Jimmy Zero
October 27th, 2014, 6:58 PM
I'm really trying to temper my expectations because I want to be able to go in and enjoy this and judge based on what is, and not what I wanted it to be.

Very excited to see it.

Beer-Belly
October 27th, 2014, 7:05 PM
I really dislike Christopher Nolan, but this shit looks dope.

Even The Prestige?

Jimmy Zero
October 27th, 2014, 7:09 PM
Oh man, I thought The Prestige was mediocre as hell.

Beer-Belly
October 27th, 2014, 7:12 PM
Brad Bird, Edgar Wright, Rian Johnson, and Patton Oswalt all saw it early and loved it. I'll take their word over 90% of film critics.

When does the inevitable backlash start?

Beer-Belly
October 27th, 2014, 7:14 PM
Oh man, I thought The Prestige was mediocre as hell.

Whaaaaaaaaa?

I love that movie. What were your issues with it?

Jimmy Zero
October 27th, 2014, 7:17 PM
Whaaaaaaaaa?

I love that movie. What were your issues with it?

It just bored me. I don't really have any specific complaints that I remember off the top of my head. It's been ages since I saw it. I just remember hating all the main characters.

Beer-Belly
October 27th, 2014, 7:22 PM
The main characters weren't supposed to be particularly likable. Their drive to be the best at their craft made them into pretty shitty people.

Mik
October 28th, 2014, 5:16 AM
I think from here on out ALL Nolan films are going to be polarising because of the anticipation. I'm trying to read as little as possible, but the reviews keep me intrigued so far. I loved The Prestige, it's one of my favourite films. Watched the dark knight rises the other week and a lot of my issues with the film on release (although not all) have disappeared.

Atty
October 29th, 2014, 11:45 PM
This came across my Facebook feed and I thought it was fascinating. Love how they're going for realism on things where we've never really seen realistic depictions. In this case, if they just went with some generic version, no one would be the wiser but I just love the attention to detail so much.

Don't think it's spoilery at all.

http://video.wired.com/watch/exclusive-the-science-of-interstellar-wired

McBain
October 30th, 2014, 3:14 AM
Reminds me I've been wanting to re-watch the Prestige for a while.

Not particularly fussed by this, but will check it out at some point because MM is the man.

Simmo Fortyone
November 5th, 2014, 7:35 PM
Anyone seen this yet? I've been offered a ticket to go tonight, but I'm already really tired and have a massive day at work tomorrow. Will it be worth it?

Clutch
November 5th, 2014, 10:31 PM
Fuck yes.

Wife and I will be seeing it on the weekend, pretty amped for it :yes:

Beer-Belly
November 5th, 2014, 11:08 PM
I'll be seeing it in IMAX tomorrow night. Not the real deal 70mm IMAX, but good enough for me.

Fro
November 5th, 2014, 11:17 PM
I heard it sucked and was a huge letdown.

Ok not really but I feel it's better to temper your expectations for these type of films and not go into Inception expecting it to be as good as The Matrix

Jimmy Zero
November 6th, 2014, 11:12 AM
I'm going to try and see either this or Birdman this weekend.

kangus
November 6th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Alright, well thanks for the update Jimmy Zero.

Simmo Fortyone
November 6th, 2014, 5:24 PM
Went and saw it last night.

Holy moly. I need a few days to process it I think.

Mik
November 7th, 2014, 7:30 PM
Went and saw it last night.

Holy moly. I need a few days to process it I think.

just got out from seeing it. My exact same reaction.

Atty
November 7th, 2014, 9:50 PM
Just saw it and was just going to post "Holy shit. I need a few days to process this", so I feel right in line.

I'll need to see it again (while in theaters.) Only quibble isn't with the film at all but with the theater advertising a 3:10 start time online and then having it actually be 2:50. Missed maybe the first two minutes.

Simmo Fortyone
November 8th, 2014, 2:54 AM
One thing that surprised me above all else is

that in the internet age of news and rumours and shit they managed to keep quiet about Matt friggin Damon having a significant role

Beer-Belly
November 8th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Did anyone have trouble making out the dialogue in some of the louder scenes?

Atty
November 9th, 2014, 2:45 AM
Yes.

I wasn't sure if it was the theater but will definitely watch it with subtitles eventually.

Beer-Belly
November 9th, 2014, 3:17 AM
I'm sure the audio will be fine on the Blu-Ray.

Atty
November 9th, 2014, 10:53 AM
It's a couple days later now and I can't stop thinking about this film. I think this will be one of those that gets better each viewing and considering my already strong opinion of it, that's a very good thing.

Craig T. Nelson
November 9th, 2014, 1:45 PM
I heard McConnaughy reaches an alien planet, hits the beach, removes his shirt, and smokes some dank-ass weed.

Mik
November 10th, 2014, 7:44 AM
I still havent really been able to fully formulate my views on this. I have been thinking about it and reading about it a lot.

What I can say is that it is truly a visual and technical masterpiece and a work of almost unparalleled ambition and imagination.

I cant wait to see it again.

mth
November 11th, 2014, 7:34 PM
Just got back from it a bit ago. Preatty damn incredible film in a lot of ways. Beautiful to look at and I absolutely loved the music. Very compelling and gripping, emotional, great acting. Didn't drag at all, kept me hooked and curious the whole time. Very interesting concepts.
Fucking headline I saw on a website a couple days ago kind of ruined it a bit for me. Was reading a wrestling article on some pop culture site and one of the 'articles you may like' at the bottom had the headline:
'So it turns out Interstellar is a prequel to...'
FUCK YOU. My immediate thought was 'itself' because that made the most sense.
So I think that unfortunately impacted my viewing a bit and took a little bit of magic away from it.

JustDuett
November 12th, 2014, 3:01 PM
Did anyone have trouble making out the dialogue in some of the louder scenes?

I did, but there were a couple of instances where the drowned out dialogue was re-visited later on which made me think it was on purpose. Other times, the music was just too loud and some lines were lost.

The theater I was at last night crapped out Just as Michael Caine died (He actually died 4 times in my viewing because of their errors lol) and it transitioned into the reveal that MATT DAMON was Dr. Mann where the audio continued, but the video froze, so the "shock" was not as big as it would have been since I actually heard the voice in question.

I am going to be seeing this again this weekend and while thinking about it last night and today, it feels like it is zooming up my list of favorites/most memorable movies. I need to flesh out my full opinion and thoughts on this, but the weirdest part of the whole viewing was how emotional I got during the family-oriented storyline. Was definitely not expecting an emotional reaction to this film.

JustDuett
November 12th, 2014, 3:03 PM
I heard McConnaughy reaches an alien planet, hits the beach, removes his shirt, and smokes some dank-ass weed.

SPOILERS, DUDE!!! The main conflict in this movie is finding out whether he ends up alright, alright, alright, or not! :)

VHS
November 12th, 2014, 3:25 PM
I had an enjoyable conversation/debate with my sister about this, and it's safe to say I loved this movie. I do have a lot of gripes with how Nolan directs his films though, which is what sparked the tiny debate. I felt like 80% of the scenes were all crescendos to the point where I was exhausted every time we got to the next scene. It was like the score was beating me over the head from beginning to end even when there were just people exchanging dialogue. I guess it was because Nolan wanted to show us how every single second of time was NOT to be wasted, but I've seen him do it in all of his movies. During Dark Knight, things were always running forward and there was no time to let things set in... and we'd move onto something else with the blaring score and morse code dialogue.

But what I loved about this movie was that there was an actual ending. Things weren't ambiguous or left-open to interpretation. We know who ended up where, and what was going to come next.

One movie I did bring up was Contact. I remember being absolutely captivated during the entire movie... up until the ending. We were building up to one thing... seeing the aliens and knowing where the transport blueprints came from. Jodie Foster travels to the farthest reaches of the universe, only for us to be told nothing. Spoiler alert.

Interstellar started fine, picked up during the middle, and ended beautifully. 8.5/10

Question though:

So when Cooper wakes up in the hospital and sees the space station above Saturn... he's told to go find Amelia. Why hasn't anybody else found her yet? They have the space station near the black hole now; all they need to do is go into it and search the planets they'd already blueprinted. We see her at Edmund's camp, and it's not like she could be anywhere. Her resources were scarce so she couldn't have gotten that far from where Cooper left her before traveling back home. And the station clearly has the ships/technology to easily travel in and through the hole.

Gah, I need coffee.

kangus
November 12th, 2014, 5:49 PM
Fuck you Dr.Mann, it looks like a great planet to me.

JustDuett
November 12th, 2014, 6:53 PM
VHS:

I chalked it up to time slippage. Murph found the watch when she was 35-40ish, meaning that Cooper was roughly 75ish based on the "same age" conversation. The docs told him that he was 120something, right? That leaves 40-50 years Earth time for Murph & Co. to develop the technology that we saw at the ending while little to no time passed for Amelia and Coop. I forgot if they mentioned time slippage on Edmund's planet, but what we saw last of Amelia, she had not been there too terribly long....and Coop had not aged very much at all from the time he manipulated the books in the tesseract.

ALSO just found this in case anyone wants a headache, but would like to explore more info of the timeline, etc of the film:

http://i.imgur.com/MgwWMFU.jpg

VHS
November 12th, 2014, 11:46 PM
Yeah, no thanks. I liked the movie, so... ehh, no thanks. :lol:

Like staring at endlessness streaming towards the horizon.

Atty
November 12th, 2014, 11:53 PM
You asked...

JustDuett
November 13th, 2014, 9:54 AM
:lol: Yeah, I gave that image a once over and clicked away from it. Way too confusing.

I feel like I will be seeing it again soon because of how much I enjoyed the movie. I agree with VHS that this felt a lot like Contact (Which I really loved as a teenager) up until the fact that this one has a resolution. I put this one at an 8.5 or 9 out of 10.

Gary J
November 15th, 2014, 6:29 PM
Went to see this today and loved it. I agree with what others have said on here about it being hard to get a great grasp of it with only one watch. I must confess I had tears in my eyes during a couple of scenes.

I can't believe how great an actor Matthew McConaughey is this time last year I just dismissed him as that guy from rom-coms who walked around without a shirt. But after seeing him in Mud , Killer Joe , Lincoln Lawyer , Dallas Buyers Club , True Detective I don't think anyone comes close to him at the moment.

Chris
November 16th, 2014, 3:25 PM
Just back from seeing this. Incredible film. The imagery was stunning, the ideas were so ambitious and rich and McConnaughey was superb from start to finish. I absolutely loved the score - it was overwhelming at first, but it felt like a perfect fit for the scale of some of the decisions being made at key parts of the film. I've read a lot of reviewers wondering how Spielberg would have handled this film. As much of a fan of his work as I am, I think he would have gone for a far safer resolution to the plot. Nolan just went for it without worrying about how many viewers will be able to keep up with the concepts.

Major spoilers from here on out:

I loved the spaceship set and the robots - the technology felt very tangible.

The moment where Cooper watches his son grow up on the recordings was absolutely gut-wrenching.

I'm astonished that I didn't read anything on the internet about Damon's role before I saw the film. People say that JJ Abrams is a master of secrecy, but keeping that one quiet is very impressive. If I had one slight disappointment with the film, it's the direction that Damon's character takes because it felt like something we've seen plenty of times before. It felt out of place in a film that was so fresh and so willing to take us to places that we could hardly imagine.

I was wondering how the future human race originally survived in order to know that Cooper was so important and build a Tesseract specifically for him. I'm guessing the answers lies in the idea that if they have moved beyond three dimensions, they can look at an infinite number of possibilities and figure out how the Endurance mission could bring Plan A about. So was there an original Plan B mission, that didn't feature a wormhole (maybe the crew hibernated for hundreds or thousands of years), with future humans colonising on a planet and eventually evolving into five-dimensional beings? And the events of the film are the 5D beings changing history by setting up the wormhole and the Tesseract, in order to ensure the survival of the human race.

The film couldn't have come out at a better time, what with ESA landing a probe on a comet 300 million miles away from Earth. I love the fact that this film is so daring in its ambition, just as the real human race is taking another giant leap forward in terms of what it can achieve in space.

Mik
November 16th, 2014, 3:30 PM
To your spoiler question I believe that Plan B mission is the one that is successful in the film (the one involving Anne Hathaway) and that the Plan B human beings at some point evolve to 5 dimensional beings and with things like time and suchlike not being linear for them, they decided to intervene to help the Plan A work retrospectively, or all at the same time, or however time works for them.

Mik
November 16th, 2014, 3:38 PM
I've always liked Sci Fi films, but I've never especially been interested in the space travel element of them. I've never actually been interested in space travel in general. I havent seen films like Contact and 2001 A Space Odyssey.

Because of Interstellar I now am. I am going to watch those films as soon as I can and I am genuinely engaged in space travel, I've read about the comet in absolute fascination. It feels very timely and important in a time when due to recessions we are more interested in looking within rather than without. I saw a statistic about the cost of the probe landing on the comet and couldnt believe that people where whining about it being a waste of money...A waste of money to achieve something that has never been done before, that could give us insights into our existence and our place within the universe. Its incredible that human beings as a species have explored so far and learned so much as still know so little.

I think that was probably all Nolan's intentions with this film and he has achieved it with me.

Fro
November 16th, 2014, 3:44 PM
This film changed Mik's life, damn.

Although it's a little strange that it took a Nolan film to get you to see 2001 and Contact, given your status as film buff. I just was watching Mission to Mars on cable. Now that's a space flick. It ends with the alien telling the astronauts the history of humanity in an easily understandable holographic PowerPoint presentation then they all hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

Beer-Belly
November 16th, 2014, 3:46 PM
The Nolan backlash seems to be growing due to the sound mixing issues. The score can be overbearing at times, but fuck me, it wasn't that bad.

Chris
November 16th, 2014, 5:44 PM
To your spoiler question I believe that Plan B mission is the one that is successful in the film (the one involving Anne Hathaway) and that the Plan B human beings at some point evolve to 5 dimensional beings and with things like time and suchlike not being linear for them, they decided to intervene to help the Plan A work retrospectively, or all at the same time, or however time works for them.
Of course, that completes the loop. The 5 dimensional beings know about Cooper's role because he was there at the start of the colony.

I've always liked Sci Fi films, but I've never especially been interested in the space travel element of them. I've never actually been interested in space travel in general. I havent seen films like Contact and 2001 A Space Odyssey.

Because of Interstellar I now am. I am going to watch those films as soon as I can and I am genuinely engaged in space travel, I've read about the comet in absolute fascination. It feels very timely and important in a time when due to recessions we are more interested in looking within rather than without. I saw a statistic about the cost of the probe landing on the comet and couldnt believe that people where whining about it being a waste of money...A waste of money to achieve something that has never been done before, that could give us insights into our existence and our place within the universe. Its incredible that human beings as a species have explored so far and learned so much as still know so little.
The comet landing has been so compelling. 25 years in the making. It shows what can be achieved when people work together, against a backdrop where so many populations are at odds with each other or disillusioned with their own trajectory.

Mik
November 16th, 2014, 7:27 PM
This film changed Mik's life, damn.

Although it's a little strange that it took a Nolan film to get you to see 2001 and Contact, given your status as film buff. I just was watching Mission to Mars on cable. Now that's a space flick. It ends with the alien telling the astronauts the history of humanity in an easily understandable holographic PowerPoint presentation then they all hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

I cant ant see everything unfortunately. Like I said, previously I was not remotely interested in space travel.

Mik
November 16th, 2014, 7:54 PM
https://ikjyotsinghkohli24.wordpress.com/2014/11/07/on-the-science-of-interstellar/

Bert
November 18th, 2014, 7:30 PM
I'm going to see this in a few hours. I've actually managed not to be spoiled so I have no idea what I'm in for other than Matthew McConaughey going to space.

Alf
November 20th, 2014, 6:34 AM
Saw it last night. Holy fucking shit bananas. Loved it.

The science is as flimsy as a BBF alibi but as a spectacle it was great. I totally called the '5 dimensions represented in a way that he could understand' but as soon as I saw it.

The soundtrack was AWESOME and I don't see why people are being thickie and complaining about the dialogue being trampled. That's the point. I thought it was obvious. The wormhole and blackhole sequences were amazing. The spin, holy fuck the spin was tense (could have been edited a touch more dramatically). The despair.

Jessica Chastain can't act. I don't think it executed the portion between the black hole and him turning up outside jupiter as effectively as it could have. There was WAY too much clumsy expositional dialogue at the start ('Oh hi there remember when you were a pilot and that?') and towards the end. They could have done a touch better representing the passage of time.

Mik
November 20th, 2014, 7:10 AM
Having read A LOT about the film since I've seen it, the science is by and large theoretical physics all consulted on by a professor of theoretical physics and by all accounts its pretty much bullet proof...because its all theoretical, nobody can necessarily prove whether it is actually right or wrong, just whether it makes theoretical sense or not...and that is subject of much debate anyway. That link I posted up above was one physicists response to two other physicists criticising the scientific accuracy within the film and in effect getting them to admit that they were wrong (one in particular actually admitted within the comments section that he was wrong).

Jessica Chastain is probably the finest lead actress working in Hollywood at the moment, you're crazy.

Trust me Alfred, whatever you are feeling now will only improve as you think about it more. A couple of weeks removed, I am going to see this again on Monday and I cant wait. I came out of the cinema thinking that it was pretty good, but being a bit overwhelmed and unable to judge how much I liked it. I'm fast beginning to think that this might well be Nolan's finest film to date.

Alf
November 20th, 2014, 7:13 AM
So a tiny spaceship would be fine flying towards the crushing gravity of a black hole?

Chastain is wooden trash. She hasn't lead anything competently yet. Even zero dark thirty she was the weak link. There's no charisma or light behind the eyes, it's all surface facial expressions. It's the classic 'I AM ACTING' red flag for me.

And I bloody loved it. But it is flawed.

Mik
November 20th, 2014, 7:38 AM
Apparently the important factor is that it is not a static black hole, but a spinning black hole.

https://ikjyotsinghkohli24.wordpress.com/2014/11/07/on-the-science-of-interstellar/

I think most of the science questions are answered in that.

We'll just have to agree to disagree with Chastain. She was fantastic in Zero Dark Thirty I thought, exceptional in Take Shelter, I loved her in Interstellar, in fact I like the look of all the films she has out this year.

Alf
November 20th, 2014, 7:43 AM
Oh, and that scene where he watches the video messages murdered me. Brutal.

I also found the concept of 5 dimensions strangely moving. Weird. I felt small.

Mik
November 20th, 2014, 7:49 AM
Aye, its such a well structured scene too, with the tension of getting Hathaway off the planet and the huge cascading waves, you briefly forget about the impact that every second down there is causing, time completely becomes the enemy. Then you get back up and bang, Romlin is an old guy then double bang, his kids have grown up and given up on him all while he was trying to save everyone's lives. Devastating.

Completely agree about the idea of being 5 dimensional. The whole film made me feel very small and yet amazed at the reach of the human race. Even reading stuff like that link I posted above makes me marvel how we as a people can have achieved such things.

Alf
November 20th, 2014, 9:42 AM
I already want to see it again. The soundtrack is great. I want Stay to be played at my funeral, and as the crescendo hits I want you to fire a flaming arrow into my ship (viking boat burial, obvs).

Mik
November 20th, 2014, 10:34 AM
I would do that for you Alf, you know I would.

LOCONUT
November 20th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Get a room.

Bad Collin
November 22nd, 2014, 8:23 PM
Just got back from watching this. Like everyone else I need some time to think about it. Amazing film.

Bad Collin
November 23rd, 2014, 7:17 AM
My biggest problem at the moment is thinking beyond linear time. I get relativity and how time can act and be observed differently by different people but I can't forget about causality.

(e.g. How did the future humans create the wormhole and the tesseract when they were dependent on both for survival?)

Mik
November 23rd, 2014, 2:07 PM
Because time isn't linear for them.

Alf
November 24th, 2014, 6:46 AM
Yep, they are 5th dimensional beings, so to them time could be akin to looking on google maps or doing a search on wikipedia.

Bad Collin
November 24th, 2014, 8:20 AM
I can't get my head around a universe without causality. I can almost accept that they can leaf through the pages of history whenever they want and have limited influence on the past but I don't accept that they could exist in the future then go back to make sure that the human race survived, I think the Grandfather paradox is too strong.

Unless we are talking about alternative time lines but then why would they bother messing with another time line?

Mik
November 24th, 2014, 2:57 PM
They didnt go back and make sure that the human race survived, they gave the human race the power to save themselves. To the future 5 dimensional selves, that could have been no big deal really. They were maybe moved by the Cooper's story and maybe saw that as being the one way of ensuring the human survival with minimal effort from them.

I saw it again today, even better on a second viewing.

Bad Collin
November 24th, 2014, 3:17 PM
It's not their motivation that bothers me but the fact that they wouldn't exist if they hadn't gone back in time to create the wormhole. Therefore they shouldn't have existed to create the wormhole to save themselves.

I know it's fiction and it's possible the human race could have survived a different way but this paradox bothers me enough to bump the film down to 8.5/10.

I do need to see it again.

Mik
November 24th, 2014, 3:30 PM
But thats basing your assumptions on what we currently can comprehend as time. In the 5 dimensional world things are different. Time is different, gravity, relativity etc, the rules we abide by and understand now are different that what happens in this 5 dimensional world.

Bad Collin
November 24th, 2014, 4:27 PM
But the 5 dimensional world shouldn't exist because humans would have perished without the wormhole appearing from the future. Unless you are saying that time so flexible that everything can be said to happen at once and everything is predetermined. In that case it becomes an advert for religion, because if the universe is not shaped by causality then it must have been shaped by a creator (i.e. God)

I think a universe where civilisations can pop in and out of existence and where there is no causality is a bit pointless. Especially when the rest of the film is based on such good science.

Simmo Fortyone
November 24th, 2014, 5:13 PM
BC the way I looked at it is that the colonisation (Plan B) worked, but took 10,000 years to work (I'm plucking that number out of nowhere) with heaps and heaps of suffering. Future 5thD folk were all like "gee if only there was a way that all that suffering could have been avoided" and then were like "oh we can just give them a shortcut to the survival bit"

Pablo Diablo
November 24th, 2014, 5:54 PM
BC the way I looked at it is that the colonisation (Plan B) worked, but took 10,000 years to work (I'm plucking that number out of nowhere) with heaps and heaps of suffering. Future 5thD folk were all like "gee if only there was a way that all that suffering could have been avoided" and then were like "oh we can just give them a shortcut to the survival bit"

I see BC's concern and that is that Plan B doesn't work without the wormhole being placed there from the future in the first place. I think I'll just have to accept it from Mik's explanation of us just not understanding 5 dimensions which is a shame because pretty much everything else I was happy with the theoretical science of this one just gives me the hold up.

Mik
November 25th, 2014, 10:51 AM
But the 5 dimensional world shouldn't exist because humans would have perished without the wormhole appearing from the future.

Again, you're thinking 3 dimensionally. It shouldnt exist based on OUR 3 dimensional rules and laws of these things.

Bad Collin
November 25th, 2014, 4:07 PM
OK but what about the second part of my post then.

Unless you are saying that time so flexible that everything can be said to happen at once and everything is predetermined. In that case it becomes an advert for religion, because if the universe is not shaped by causality then it must have been shaped by a creator (i.e. God)

I think a universe where civilisations can pop in and out of existence and where there is no causality is a bit pointless. Especially when the rest of the film is based on such good science.

Mik
November 26th, 2014, 7:22 AM
I dont think that saying everything happens at once, where time is something that works like a loop going on at the same time all at once is the same as saying that things are pre-determined.

Chris
November 26th, 2014, 3:37 PM
The paradox we see in the film is the Bootstrap Paradox, which is to do with information rather than people travelling back through time. Jonathan Nolan explained in an interview that the future humans have mastered gravity and use it to send information through time. We see Murph realising the "ghost" in the room at the beginning of the film - to me, that means that for fifth dimensional beings, the past and the future are occurring simultaneously.

There is a theoretical self-consistency principle when it comes to people travelling through time - that they wouldn't be able to change history, but simply play a role in making history occur as it always did. But the Bootstrap Paradox suggests that information would work differently - information from the future becomes information from the past, and a loop is created. The current problem with that theory is that the information then has no distinct origin. But the more you read about Interstellar, the more you realise that Nolan and co did some serious homework when it came to the science and the possible theories that could become reality at some point in the distant future (or the past....ah thank you).

IGN: I want to hone in on that moment in the black hole where Cooper imagines that we - as a species - evolved into fifth dimensional beings. The film is sort of imaging what that would be or mean, and I guess I thought, if we did evolve in this manner and we could physicalize time in order to send a message back to an earlier point in our evolution then it sort of creates a paradox, which is okay, we often see paradoxes in science fiction. But if the intention was to save the human race so that we evolve to the point of becoming these beings -- why pick that method? Why make it about a man, his daughter, a bookcase, and morse code...?Why not pick a simpler, more fail-safe method to save the human race?

Nolan: That's a good question. Well, because it provides us an opportunity to tell a more compelling story. [Laughs] No, I think the idea is that one of the things that we worked on from the beginning with the film was that the idea of gravitation is odd. There's something about it that functions a little differently from all of the other forces that we're fluent in in the universe -- strong forces, weak forces, electromagnetism and gravity. What's different about gravity is that it appears to be oddly weak in our universe. It's actually very strong; it's binding all of us to the surface of the planet -- a f***ing ball of mud hurtling through space. But actually, versus all those other forces, it's bizarrely weak, which suggests that it's sort of an iceberg situation. The gravitation as we experience it in this universe actually connects our rich and deep level, our universe, our brain, within a higher-order bulk, to potentially other universes, which suggests -- suggested to me at least -- the idea that, you know, you've seen a million time travel movies. The idea that we wanted to present here was that time travel for people: not possible. For objects, for things, for phenomena within our universe: not possible. But the idea that information can travel through time is entirely possible.

Like I said, the bookshelf. We've found a way to pass ideas in the future -- not yet a way to pass ideas and information into the past. That creates -- well, frankly, all paradoxes, if you can translate information in the past, you can create almost as many paradoxes as you could if you transmitted people into the past. But the idea that you could transmit information into the past is a lot more of a palatable and grounded idea. But gravitation suggests itself -- to me at least, by the time I was done studying these things -- gravitation seems to be the mechanism by which that might be possible. The idea being, however, that gravitation is such a slippery bastard that you would have to -- the only way it would be possible would be within certain regions of space, right? In 2001, the idea is the Monolith is buried on the surface of the Moon because only a sufficiently advanced, technologically advanced creature would be able to get to the Moon from Earth. It becomes an acid test. If you can dig it up, then you're sufficiently technologically advanced -- you've gotten to the Moon -- so here's a beacon to let you know what the next step is. This is different. This is the idea that communication or gravitation might be such an extreme and difficult phenomenon that it would only be possible in the most extreme reaches of space. In other words, you imagine the letterbox in which you would be able to leave yourself a letter from the future, but the letterbox is beyond the event horizon of a black hole. You don't even know it's there.

son_of_foley
December 2nd, 2014, 4:47 AM
I was a bit dissapointed that they felt the need to show him doing the gravity/time thing. I felt that it was heavily implied through the film and I would've been happier with it ending when he went through the blackhole.

virms
March 19th, 2015, 8:29 PM
Things you shouldn't do.

Watch interstellar right before you plan to go to sleep.

:mad:

Did this the other night and sleep was black listed. Great movie.

VanillaJello
April 4th, 2015, 7:05 PM
Can anyone explain how the wormhole came to be?

If the wormhole could only be created by the 5thD humans it should have never existed as there was no way for present day humans to make it to the new planets before dying out due the massive amount of travel it would take to get to the planets... therefore the 5thD humans never came to exist. If they don't exist the wormhole isn't there.

VHS
April 4th, 2015, 10:11 PM
Don't think about it, or even ask about it. I tried that and I got called stupid and was accused of being an anti Nolanite.

Beer-Belly
April 6th, 2015, 8:49 AM
Where did that happen at? From the looks of it, not here.

Atty
April 6th, 2015, 9:28 AM
Go easy on him. He sees posts in his head. It's like hearing voices, but not

Bad Collin
April 6th, 2015, 9:48 AM
Can anyone explain how the wormhole came to be?

If the wormhole could only be created by the 5thD humans it should have never existed as there was no way for present day humans to make it to the new planets before dying out due the massive amount of travel it would take to get to the planets... therefore the 5thD humans never came to exist. If they don't exist the wormhole isn't there.

It's a paradox which is resolved if you can believe a universe without causality. I can't so I think it is a flaw in the film.

The_Mike
April 6th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Is this like David Lewis' thinking on causal loops, that they don't have to have a first cause because, well, they're loops and information cannot ever be pinned down as having a first cause anyway?

LOCONUT
April 6th, 2015, 12:55 PM
This movie was monumental. Why are you wankers getting all scientific about a fiction film?

Bad Collin
April 6th, 2015, 12:59 PM
Is this like David Lewis' thinking on causal loops, that they don't have to have a first cause because, well, they're loops and information cannot ever be pinned down as having a first cause anyway?

Well that relies on backwards time travel which current scientific thinking deems to be impossible.

The_Mike
April 6th, 2015, 1:10 PM
Well that relies on backwards time travel which current scientific thinking deems to be impossible.

Not all of it, and his argument was only concerned with the logical principle anyway.

And we are talking about a sci-fi film, if we're going to say "it's a plot hole because current scientific thinking says it is impossible" we've not got a lot to work with.

LOCONUT
April 6th, 2015, 1:14 PM
Also if you haven't seen Timecrimes then you don't have a handle on scientifically perfect time travel.

The_Mike
April 6th, 2015, 1:21 PM
Bill and Ted proved the only reliable time machine chassis is a telephone booth. That's where Doctor Who got the idea. From the future.

Mik
April 7th, 2015, 5:01 AM

Thats the pooit. You've got to open your mind to the fact that interstellar is not based entirely on current scientific thinking.

Fro
May 13th, 2017, 1:32 AM
Finally saw this. Good flick, definitely well done. It's not my favorite Nolan film - I just watched The Prestige again and I think that's a lot better - but he created a very worthy space epic to put in the ranks of the best of them like 2001 and Apollo 13 (granted the latter isn't sci-fi). I agree with what was said in this thread earlier which was that it was basically on par with Contact but had a better ending (and thus delivered where Contact failed). 8/10 for me on first viewing.

All the tearjerker scenes were unexpected. They got me, I was definitely blubbering like a baby, but I'm not sure if they were cheap or not. Sure we needed the family element but they really beat you over the head with it.

Matt Damon's heel turn I could have done without. That part really seemed unnecessary and small to me, taking me out of the larger plot as a viewer. This guy was the leader of this whole program, the smartest and best guy among them, and he pulls that? Ugh. I get sending the signal to get rescued but why did he have to kill all of his rescuers? Solitude can make you go mad, sure, but he turned comically evil. I also don't think Damon was best for the role. Someone more sinister could have pulled that off better, I think. Speaking of Damon, I'm not sure which I preferred: this or The Martian. Both were very good entries into the genre with a heavy emphasis on science.

The very end seemed rushed. "I've been waiting 90 years for you to return, and you've been on an epic trip through space and time including traveling through a black hole, but I've got my own kids now so now that we talked for 1 minute you should go back to space." Come on. I would have given them a proper reunion scene, then let a few weeks pass of them hanging out, THEN had the scene with Murph on her death bed where she tells him to head back to space rather than watch her die. There was too much build up for that brief of an exchange.

Some gripes aside though, definitely enjoyed it. This and Inception are a cool tandem of movies, one going into the mind and the other going outward to space. Relativity plays a big role in both of them with the threat of being lost in time.

Beer-Belly
May 13th, 2017, 6:02 AM
Matt Damon's heel turn is great. Damon was actually Nolan's first choice to play Two Face in The Dark Knight.

I wish they made TARS toys. Something small to put on a desk would be cool.