PDA

View Full Version : WWE DVD edits, I guess

Atty
April 2nd, 2013, 10:08 PM
Was just watching the Taker 20-0 blu-ray that I mentioned picking up the other week in the ramble thread. It's all very lovely, with disc three probably being the greatest disc WWE has put out (Taker's Mania matches in full, from Batista on), but there's one thing that really annoyed me: THEY EDITED THE ENTRANCE MUSIC FOR WM 27!

You know, the one where the crowd went nuts for the lights going off and the gong sounding, only it to be HHH rocking out to "For Whom the Bell Tolls" in his Conan garb with those Spartans from that one special attack in God of War 3. Now, it's a cheesy Metallica soundalike with the crowd completely dubbed over for the entrance. Same with Taker, who no longer matches out to "Ain't No Grave", but to his regular theme with a notably quieter crowd than before.

Really hate when they edit stuff like that. It was epic and now it's in lovely 1080p with this ruining one of the best entrance sequences ever.

Brian M.
April 2nd, 2013, 10:40 PM
Paying for the DVD rights to the Metallica song alone would cost them more than they made from that entire Wrestlemania weekend.

Vice
April 2nd, 2013, 10:45 PM
Use cheaper music.

Brian M.
April 2nd, 2013, 10:51 PM
They should have just had Motorhead write another theme. Different Motorhead theme for every Triple H Wrestlemania match. Or just keep using King Of Kings. That song is fucking badass.

The Law
April 2nd, 2013, 10:52 PM
Yeah, the cost of playing the song in the arena is basically nothing. Releasing it on DVD is totally different and dramatically more expensive. Definitely past the point where it would actually be worth it to pay.

Other songs they edit:

-Hogan's "Voodoo Child" theme has been dubbed over with "Real American" on some releases
-Taker's "Rollin'" has been dubbed for his generic biker theme
-I've seen Foley's Cactus Jack theme dubbed. No idea what the deal is there.
-Edge's Rob Zombie theme would get dubbed over if they release any matches from the period where he was using it
-They dubbed over "Enter Sandman" on the One Night Stand 2005 DVD release. Same reason as always.

Basically, once the rights expire, they don't pay to use it. Also, it's a lot cheaper to play music live in the arena than it is to release it on a DVD.

What else do they edit? They edited the crowd from Royal Rumble 1992. They cheered Sid throwing Hogan out, but on subsequent replays they changed it to boos. Changed Monsoon's commentary too. On the show he said Sid did the right thing, it's every man for himself. On the replays they had him saying he betrayed Hogan. Obviously, they edit Smackdown's crowds. I remember back during the invasion there were claims they were editing out "RVD" chants. Fed the conspiracy theorists. It was probably just a policy to edit out positive chants for heels.

Mills
April 3rd, 2013, 1:07 AM
There's a lot of themes edited in the wrestlemania box sets. Dusty Rhodes, big bossman, Demolition, Slick, OrientExpress and more. I figured most were made in house, but I guess not

turdpower
April 3rd, 2013, 3:09 AM
When they showed this match a year later repeated on Sky Sports they played an edited version of that Katie Perry/Kanye West song over Taker's entrance (Extra Terrestrial, I think). It was so odd.

Atty
April 3rd, 2013, 11:56 AM
That's very odd. Seems like that would be expensive to license as well. I hate that they have to edit what was actually aired live because they'd have to pay more to show the event on dvd than when they did it live.

Even stranger, on the same blu-ray, the Cell still lowers to Metallica's "The Memory Remains" on the very next match.

turdpower
April 3rd, 2013, 11:59 AM
I'd love to know what a Metallica song actually costs to use.

Cewsh
April 3rd, 2013, 12:04 PM
That's very odd. Seems like that would be expensive to license as well.

They were using it in promo videos already, so they already had the license.

Vice
April 3rd, 2013, 12:06 PM
I'd love to know what a Metallica song actually costs to use.

I can't remember the exact number, but the reports around ECW's One Night Stand said Metallica wanted quite a few million dollars to let Enter Sandman be on the DVD. And that is ridiculous.

Cewsh
April 3rd, 2013, 12:11 PM
Here's an article about a filmmaker trying to license an obscure Earth, Wind and Fire song for his short film. It's a similar situation, and they wanted $1,500 for that. So imagine the ballpark we're talking when it's Metallica's greatest hits and they have all the bargaining power.

http://www.jimbobmovies.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-license-a-song-for-a-short-movie/

JP
April 3rd, 2013, 12:21 PM
When they showed this match a year later repeated on Sky Sports they played an edited version of that Katie Perry/Kanye West song over Taker's entrance (Extra Terrestrial, I think). It was so odd.

What?

Are you sure this wasn't a really strange dream? If not, really wanna see that.

Cewsh
April 3rd, 2013, 12:26 PM
I think it's the official DVD version now.

The Law
April 3rd, 2013, 12:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AI_12oMf0M

From the NBC special. Got to say, it's actually pretty awesome.

JP
April 3rd, 2013, 12:44 PM
Well blow me down.

Atty
April 3rd, 2013, 1:30 PM
That should be his entrance this year.