PDA

View Full Version : Fandango..come on!

Shane Luttmann
April 2nd, 2013, 8:41 PM
Ive been a wrestling fan for over 20 years. I remember sneaking up to watch Sat. nights main event at 11:30pm when i was a kid.

This new fandango personality has to be one of the worst that ive ever seen. Ever! This may have flew a few years ago, but where the WWE is today, the timing for such a stupid character, to me atleast is terrible. And knowing that Vince loves this new personality shows me few things. 1 being he will probably win at Wrestlemania, which is sad. and 2. Just how out of touch Vince is towards wrestling fans. Time for him to turn it in if he thinks some prancer wrestler is a great idea. Its sad.

And on a side note. My wrestlemania prediction would be Cena, as much as i hate him. and he cant wrestle. He will win, and you will then see Ziggler cash in his money in the bank and take the title. For sure.

virms
April 2nd, 2013, 8:48 PM
Welcome to the boards Shane.

I disagree with everything you said here and I will elaborate when I am not on my phone. Still, voice your opinions all over the board. We need some passionate new blood like yourself sparking some debate.

Fandango is great.

Tainted Eclipse
April 2nd, 2013, 8:50 PM
and 2. Just how out of touch Vince is towards wrestling fans.

hes been getting just about the strongest reactions of anyone on the midcard.

G-Fresh
April 2nd, 2013, 8:58 PM
Fandango is the shit. You just can't handle his sick dancing skills.

mth
April 2nd, 2013, 9:00 PM
Welcome. You're getting worked, son.

FAAAAAANNNNDAAANNNNNGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooo!!

Beer-Belly
April 2nd, 2013, 9:06 PM
You're not letting the A's breath enough.

Hero!
April 2nd, 2013, 9:11 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e148/Xixiathegreat/FANCANDLES_zps0d73d51e.png
That shit is TIGHT.

The Law
April 2nd, 2013, 9:20 PM
I really had the same initial response, but I've come to really like the character and the work Curtis is doing with it. Obviously, this doesn't mean much until we see him actually get in the ring. But he's getting quite a lot of heat so far. The viciousness of his beatdowns on Jericho has been unexpected. I think they are going to need to expand the character beyond being a dancer and very insistent about the pronunciation of his name. Also, it's hard to see him ever advancing beyond the midcard with this gimmick. Can you really see a ball room dancing wrestler in the main event? Most likely that won't be an issue, as very few wrestlers ever rise to that level. My guess is that over time he'll start to lose the ballroom dance aspect of the character and just become a narcissistic heel. However, the ballroom thing is a nice way to get him a lot of attention and heat in the early going.

Defrost
April 2nd, 2013, 9:27 PM
Fan Dan Go and Jericho is the best built match for Mania

Simmo Fortyone
April 2nd, 2013, 9:32 PM
The inevitable conclusion for this character is a dance-off v Brodus Clay at Summerslam

G-Fresh
April 2nd, 2013, 9:35 PM
Foley should school him in a dance off.

Vice
April 2nd, 2013, 9:43 PM
The inevitable conclusion for this character is a dance-off v Brodus Clay at Summerslam

Have Brodus fall in love with... FAN.. DANGO..., and the fat man tries wooing the sexy dancer, leading to Tensai feeling betrayed. At Summerslam, during a tag match, Tensai turns on Brodus and starts destroying him. The other team clears, so it's just those two in the ring. All hope looks lost for Brodus until... FAN... DANGO... makes the save.

When they need to get rid of FAN.. DANGO.. because he's worn out his welcome and no one cares about him anymore, just have a skit where he and Brodus are doing the tango or a waltz backstage, and Brodus trips on something and falls on him, completely splattering him. When Curtis comes back with a new gimmick, they can just say he has amnesia and doesn't remember how to dance. He is now just a man who has an obsession with GOLD. Or they can kind of pull a Cody Rhodes and have his face get smashed in, leading to him coming back many months later with long hair, a mask, and a very mean streak.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/45/SSFVega.png/180px-SSFVega.png

Simmo Fortyone
April 2nd, 2013, 9:51 PM
Savio Vega?

Shane Luttmann
April 2nd, 2013, 10:05 PM
Welcome. You're getting worked, son.

lol being worked is great! Makes me feel like im already a part of the team :P
but im sorry. there is no way people can really like this guy.. Again maybe its just me. Ive tried to watch these spots of his. His prancing, and dancing. Hey, it could be me being jelious that i cant move like that. But i just cant see it going over well. Its just something about that personality that makes me want to get up., and punch the first thing i see in the face..

Peter Griffin
April 2nd, 2013, 10:07 PM

:squint: Come on now Frosty, your just being a twat for the sake of it here.

VHS
April 2nd, 2013, 10:15 PM
I'm cool with Johnny Curtis going from an absolute bottom of the barrel jobber to facing Chris Jericho on the biggest show of the year, I'm just not so hot on the ballroom dancer thing. There's not doubt I'll warm up to it sooner or later though. :)

Shane Luttmann
April 2nd, 2013, 10:21 PM
Im sure the guy can wrestle. Looks like he has some agility to pull some amazing moves off. But how can that creative team at the WWE put their thinking caps on and only come up with that character. Either it was all Vince,. or the creative guys are scrapping the bottom of the barrel. Big time.

Cewsh
April 2nd, 2013, 10:24 PM
I love the whole deal. He's over like gangbusters so far.

Tainted Eclipse
April 2nd, 2013, 10:26 PM

i think it could honestly be reasonably argued

Cewsh
April 2nd, 2013, 10:27 PM
Yep, agreed.

Morrison
April 2nd, 2013, 10:27 PM
Im sure the guy can wrestle. Looks like he has some agility to pull some amazing moves off. But how can that creative team at the WWE put their thinking caps on and only come up with that character. Either it was all Vince,. or the creative guys are scrapping the bottom of the barrel. Big time.

it's not really scraping the bottom on the barrel. dancing with the stars has brought the whole ballroom dancing things into popularity in the mainstream and lunk head wrestling fans will automatically buy into hating a heel with such a gimmick, let alone one who pulls obnoxious dick moves like wanting his name pronounced a certain way or refusing to wrestle.

Defrost
April 2nd, 2013, 10:28 PM

How am I wrong? You have crazy guy annoyed by another guy so he beats him down screaming say my name ala Ali vs Patterson. Guy gets revenge here and doesn't get annihilated like Patterson did though. Works for me.

Peter Griffin
April 2nd, 2013, 10:32 PM
Im not saying I haven't enjoyed the build, but to say its the best build was (I figured) one of your classic sarcastic comments regarding the build of the other matches, which I have also enjoyed (well except Miz/Barrett and the 8 person tag).

Brian M.
April 2nd, 2013, 10:39 PM
Sometimes I think people forget that the purpose of a heel is to make you want to see their ass get handed to them. This gimmick is perfect for that, and Curtis is making the most of it.

Defrost
April 2nd, 2013, 10:39 PM
The only thing I would classify as all out bad in the build is Taker and Punk. Lesnar and Hunter and Rock and Cena builds are just blah but not outright horrible. I just don't care about them. Henry and The Ryback has been good but that match has all time epic stinker potential. Oh wait I take the first sentence back. Del Rio vs Swagger has been horrid. They are so afraid of making Swagger a racist that he just comes across as a run of the mill Republican and Del Rio has done nothing to make anyone like him so the whole thing doesn't work at all.

Hero!
April 3rd, 2013, 12:16 AM
That entire paragraph is just wrong.

kangus
April 3rd, 2013, 12:18 AM
I actually agree with everything Defrost said there.

Hero!
April 3rd, 2013, 12:19 AM
You would.

Ps: you're both wrong.

mth
April 3rd, 2013, 12:32 AM
I just watched RAW. I'm liking Fandango more and more every week. Terrific character.

Simmo Fortyone
April 3rd, 2013, 12:33 AM
Ive been a wrestling fan for over 20 years. I remember sneaking up to watch Sat. nights main event at 11:30pm when i was a kid.

This new fandango personality has to be one of the worst that ive ever seen. Ever! This may have flew a few years ago, but where the WWE is today, the timing for such a stupid character, to me atleast is terrible. And knowing that Vince loves this new personality shows me few things. 1 being he will probably win at Wrestlemania, which is sad. and 2. Just how out of touch Vince is towards wrestling fans. Time for him to turn it in if he thinks some prancer wrestler is a great idea. Its sad.

And on a side note. My wrestlemania prediction would be Cena, as much as i hate him. and he cant wrestle. He will win, and you will then see Ziggler cash in his money in the bank and take the title. For sure.
Ok so the last 20 years gave us...
- Rosey the Super Hero In Training
- Mean Street Posse
- Al Wilson
- Naked Mideon
- Damien Demento
- Heidenreich
- Bastion Booger
- Mantaur
- Meat
- Beaver Cleavage

...and yet Fandango is one of the worst? Come on.

Hero!
April 3rd, 2013, 12:36 AM
Max Moon, Aldo Montoya, The Burchills incest couple, fake Kane/Taker/Deisel/Razor, Doctor Isaac Yankem, Hornswoggle, etc.

Brian M.
April 3rd, 2013, 12:39 AM
The Mean Street Posse, Al Wilson and the incestuous Burchills were all amazing and I'll hear nothing else of this.

"LOOK AT AL! LOOK AT DAWN!"

Vice
April 3rd, 2013, 12:39 AM
Heidenreich gave us this:

http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/pictures/j/johnheidenreich/17.jpg

And raping Michael Cole.

And that unbelievably awkward "I LIKE... YOUR POETRY...","I LIKE.. WHAT YOU DO.. TO BABIES!" promo with Snitsky.

More than earned his stay.

mth
April 3rd, 2013, 3:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xHnZ946rSkI
:heart: Fandango. This guy is gold.

One Man Gang
April 3rd, 2013, 4:01 PM
Yes they are gold pants.

G-Fresh
April 3rd, 2013, 4:06 PM
Jim Norton is fuckin wild.

stylepoints
April 3rd, 2013, 4:19 PM
Fandango is great.

Fandango is not great. Johnny Curtis is great. I was a big fan of his persona on NXT. Sure, this gimmick is a good launching pad for young Johnny, but it wasn't necessary. Just another example of WWE trying to fix something that isn't broken.

stylepoints
April 3rd, 2013, 4:23 PM
Ok so the last 20 years gave us...
- Rosey the Super Hero In Training
- Mean Street Posse
- Al Wilson
- Naked Mideon
- Damien Demento
- Heidenreich
- Bastion Booger
- Mantaur
- Meat
- Beaver Cleavage

...and yet Fandango is one of the worst? Come on.

Whoa, whoa, just noticed this. How dare you speak ill of Naked Mideon :irked:

Hero!
April 3rd, 2013, 4:25 PM
Yeah, Johnny Curtis, had a real chip on his shoulder

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e148/Xixiathegreat/JohnnyChip-1.jpg

probably for crying over spilled milk
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e148/Xixiathegreat/JCWT-1.jpg

Rip
April 3rd, 2013, 4:29 PM
I like Curtis and his Fandango character isn't a million miles from what he's been doing anyhow, his NxT stuff has often been using his sexuality as a weapon to put his opponents on the backfoot before the match, playing mindgames with opponents (and his own partner at times with McGillihennig) the creative staff have pulled the essense of the character out of there, and for me it's quite an easy one to ramp back if they decide it's holding him back once he's more established on the main roster, Curtis has all the right tools to be a future main eventer and it's a good thing for him to get a run with Jericho now so he can hopefully learn from him.

Peter Griffin
April 3rd, 2013, 4:29 PM
Johnny looks like hes just been to a Bukkake party.

Hero!
April 3rd, 2013, 4:33 PM
That would have been less confusing than watching him pour milk all over himself.

Ochoa
April 3rd, 2013, 4:37 PM
At first, I wasn't sold on Fandango. Now I am. I wasn't sold on Dolph Ziggler either, but the name and the athleticism grew on me. This is sad to admit, but sometimes when I look in the mirror and a little bit of hair is over my eye, I say....FAAAAAAAAAAAN-DAAAAAAAAAAAN-GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,

Anyway, Curtis is a good athlete and he's making this work. Plus, working with Jericho at WrestleMania can only help.

Judas Iscariot
April 3rd, 2013, 5:57 PM
Fandango is da bomb. Curtis is the man. I think his match with Jericho is really gonna take people aback.

Fanny Batter
April 3rd, 2013, 6:08 PM
Fandango is a class act. Brilliantly sleazy with enough of an edge to pull it off. Top bloke.

G-Fresh
April 3rd, 2013, 6:28 PM
He's gonna do fine. Jericho doesn't have bad matches.

firewall
April 4th, 2013, 8:54 AM
Wasn't so sure about this character but if it keeps it's momentum I think it could be pretty good. His brawls with Jericho have been good and I think the match at Mania will be a good one. It's nice to see Jericho working with a guy on the big stage to help establish him.

Beer-Belly
April 4th, 2013, 9:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xHnZ946rSkI
:heart: Fandango. This guy is gold.

I love The Opie & Anthony Show. They occasionally talk about wrestling because two of the producers are really into it. Opie went from hating Fandango to loving him because of how ridiculous the gimmick is.

JP
April 4th, 2013, 10:56 AM

By a country mile, which is crazy.

He's right, by far the best build.

Peter Griffin
April 4th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Matter of opinion :yes: I just thought Frosty was being his usual self tbh :D

JP
April 4th, 2013, 11:07 AM
It's just been a classic build, making the new heel look strong and adding animosity between the two.

HHH/Brock lost its way, Rock/Cena has been shockingly bad, PunkTaker - just for me - stepped over the line of acceptable and Swagger/ADR has been hamstrung with the WWE's reluctance to go all out on it.

Beer-Belly
April 4th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Why would you want them to go all the way with ADR/Swagger if the Bearer stuff offended you? Having full blown racist characters is going to piss off way more people than Punk desecrating an urn.

JP
April 4th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Why would you want them to go all the way with ADR/Swagger if the Bearer stuff offended you? Having full blown racist characters is going to piss off way more people than Punk desecrating an urn.

For me, having somebody play the part of an ignorant racist - especially when the face will end up on top in the end - is exponentially less offensive than what they did with Punk/Taker this past week.

Cewsh
April 4th, 2013, 11:26 AM
I'd rather be offended than bored, even if I'd rather be neither.

Mills
April 4th, 2013, 11:35 AM
I think its more about a person playing a character versus an angle over someone who really died. That said, if this was 1999 no one would bat an eye

Beer-Belly
April 4th, 2013, 11:36 AM
For me, having somebody play the part of an ignorant racist - especially when the face will end up on top in the end - is exponentially less offensive than what they did with Punk/Taker this past week.

They never said the urn had Bearer's ashes in it. Not even a hint. The urn had ashes in it in the early 90's. The urn is just a symbol for the Undertaker and Bearer's past relationship.

JP
April 4th, 2013, 11:40 AM
They never said the urn had Bearer's ashes in it. Not even a hint. The urn had ashes in it in the early 90's. The urn is just a symbol for the Undertaker and Bearer's past relationship.

Bloody nora bab, the very first thing you said on the angle was that you weren't offended but you could understand if somebody else was. Why say that if it wasn't the case?

I couldn't give a shit if it was supposed to be Taker's cat ashes, I just found it crossed my line of taste.

JP
April 4th, 2013, 11:42 AM
I think its more about a person playing a character versus an angle over someone who really died. That said, if this was 1999 no one would bat an eye

Bingo.

And have to agree with the second point too, even for myself. I've changed a bucket load in the interim.

Beer-Belly
April 4th, 2013, 11:45 AM
The imagery was immediately provocative. I don't see it being looked at as deeply offensive in the long run, though. It's benign when compared to Orton telling Rey that Eddie is in hell.

JP
April 4th, 2013, 11:48 AM
The imagery was immediately provocative. I don't see it being looked at as deeply offensive in the long run, though. It's benign when compared to Orton telling Rey that Eddie is in hell.

:lol:

See, I had no issue with that at the time and still don't.

Meh, if we were all the same it'd be boring.

The Law
April 4th, 2013, 11:52 AM
I think the only thing about the Rey/Orton/Eddie angle that Eddie would have complained about was the fact that it sucked. When an angle gets REY MYSTERIO booed for the only time in his entire career, you know things have gone wrong.

Beer-Belly
April 4th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Really? The Eddie thing didn't bother you? I was pretty shocked at how far they took that one. What was worse was the way they had Rey parrot Eddie's mannerisms to drum up sympathy. The crowd eventually started to boo Rey.

JP
April 4th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Really? The Eddie thing didn't bother you? I was pretty shocked at how far they took that one. What was worse was the way they had Rey parrot Eddie's mannerisms to drum up sympathy. The crowd eventually started to boo Rey.

Apologies, I thought you meant that specific angle, not the Eddie's death used as capital. I had a problem with them using his death so blatantly and so soon as a means of building a feud, absolutely, but specifically the whole "Eddie's in Hell" thing didn't knock me, but anything religious based I find quite easy to brush off.

Important to remember at times that wrestling fans can do themselves proud and during that period, we did, very vocal against what was happening.

Cewsh
April 4th, 2013, 12:49 PM
I don't take religious stuff seriously, but there are few people in wrestling so openly religious as Eddie and Rey, so for them to do that very definitely crossed the line and made people resent the whole thing.

QuoteTheRaven
April 4th, 2013, 3:51 PM
I don't take religious stuff seriously, but there are few people in wrestling so openly religious as Eddie and Rey, so for them to do that very definitely crossed the line and made people resent the whole thing.

I know a lot of people who were very offended by the whole "HBK and God vs The McMahons" ordeal. I'm not particularly religious, but I found it to be in bad taste also