PDA

View Full Version : Activision Unveils Next Gen Graphics Engine

Hero!
March 28th, 2013, 9:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXl-fTVJ56M&feature=youtu.be

Sweet Jesus fucking Christ. Creeps me out.

THOUGHTS?

LOCONUT
March 28th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Insane. I would be interested to see how long it takes developers to get the gameplay mechanics up to speed with those graphical capabilities but obviously the future looks pretty amazing.

The Comet Kid
April 9th, 2013, 5:18 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

The Doc
April 9th, 2013, 5:30 PM
My goodness. It's fucking amazing.

Also you consider this the uncanny valley? I'm much more creeped out by bass mouthed WWE wrestling games than I am this. It's not quite perfect yet but it's damn close.

The_Mike
April 9th, 2013, 6:48 PM
My goodness. It's fucking amazing.

Also you consider this the uncanny valley? I'm much more creeped out by bass mouthed WWE wrestling games than I am this. It's not quite perfect yet but it's damn close.

Well he didn't say it was right at the very bottom of the valley.

Personally, I don't care. How often in-game are you close enough to somebody and having a conversation with them that this level of realism is needed or noticed? And I'm not really interested in another generation of games where all other elements are stripped back further so the developers have the time and money to spend on making sure each pupil dilates exactly the right amount and you can see every pore on the very rare occasion you are nose-to-nose with someone. It's pretty, sure, but I'd be much more interested in game engines that make games fun. I'm grumpy and old, though. I thought Master System games were gorgeous.

The Doc
April 11th, 2013, 1:28 PM
They were. Twenty plus years ago. I'm not a graphics whore though and I agree with Nintendo. For almost everything the PS2 generation had more than enough power and there was no need to upgrade.

I still get creeped out though watching the wrestling games and people trying to groan in pain and that funny thing their faces do.