PDA

View Full Version : Spoiled

Canuck
March 27th, 2013, 8:09 PM
Not sure how useful this thread will be, but I've come across a couple of shows/films recently that have blatantly spoiled another movie or show without warning. I've not had much ruined for me yet, but I thought this might be a good idea to prevent it from happening. If you're aware of spoilers contained in separate films eg 'This is 40' completely ruining Lost for anyone who hasn't finished it yet, then we could compile a list which may help steer readers away from a program that might spoil something else they're interested in. I can edit this first post when we get some going so we have an extensive list in one place. Obviously we won't say how they spoil it, but just to give some fair warning might be nice.

The Rogerer
March 27th, 2013, 8:42 PM
There was a study, however spurious, that said when something is spoiled before you watch it, you enjoy it more. If it's spoiled once you're already invested, it's annoying, but I'm a believer in it, and I think that I end up enjoying things a lot more several times in.

Hero!
March 27th, 2013, 8:50 PM
One of my coworkers has a knack for spoiling EVERYTHING. Genuinely nice guy, he doesn't even realize he's doing it, so I try not to get mad, but GOD DAMN IT, IT PISSES ME OFF. I've had spoiled (in recent memory):

sons of anarchy
the office
django unchained
young justice
walking dead

all by the aforementioned coworker.

Pete Cash
March 27th, 2013, 10:36 PM
My girlfriend accidentally spoilt THE BIG SPOILER in Game of Thrones season 1 for one of her friends lmao. It used to be pretty risky to discuss ASOIF on the internet without someone coming in and going

NEDS DEAD

Without the spoiler tags.

That is a spoiler for the end of book 1 or season 1 and its the spoiler my GF accidentally gave away.

I spoilt the last book for myself because I had been waiting so long I just wanted to know where the plot went. It didn't ruin my enjoyment. I know Alf went out of his way to avoid them. Different strokes.

Judas Iscariot
March 28th, 2013, 12:44 AM
Yeah Pete you need to be more patient with big fat George and enjoy the ride more with the last few books.

I had The Sixth Sense spoiled for me with someone I was watching it with fifteen minutes left. That made me really happy.

Someone should ask lotjx what his favorite moments were that he got a kick out of spoiling for people.

Cewsh
March 28th, 2013, 1:15 AM
There was a study, however spurious, that said when something is spoiled before you watch it, you enjoy it more. If it's spoiled once you're already invested, it's annoying, but I'm a believer in it, and I think that I end up enjoying things a lot more several times in.

I was so baffled when I heard about that. When I hear a spoiler for a thing I wanted to see, it removes a lot of desire to see it.

Judas Iscariot
March 28th, 2013, 1:37 AM
That even being possible is nonsense.

I can understand if something is based on a book and the reader is watching it play out on the screen. That can be enjoyable.

But I will again refer to my broad and Game of Thrones smacking me and pacing across the room because I didn't tell her a spoiler. That's the point.

It's not about you enjoying the spoiler. It's about your real, natural human reaction to something and how something like a make believe story can affect you in such a way that the author or director or whomever got you so emotionally invested in a piece that you react as if it actually happened to you in that moment.

I'm going to go ahead and turn in my man card here, but I had been bugged to watch The Notebook and finally did. Chick flick.

It wound up making me pace around a little bit.

Knowing what's coming upon your initial viewing takes your spontaneous response completely out of the occasion and ruins the point of a work.

The Rogerer
March 28th, 2013, 5:28 AM
I was so baffled when I heard about that. When I hear a spoiler for a thing I wanted to see, it removes a lot of desire to see it.I meant to say something that you're not that invested in will be more enjoyable. If you're already anticipating seeing it, then the spoiler is an invasion.

Pete Cash
March 28th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Yeah Pete you need to be more patient with big fat George and enjoy the ride more with the last few books.

I had The Sixth Sense spoiled for me with someone I was watching it with fifteen minutes left. That made me really happy.

Someone should ask lotjx what his favorite moments were that he got a kick out of spoiling for people.

Something like asoiaf is driven by the twists but George the fat fucker also puts in a lot of excellent foreshadowing and cool little things one might miss. I enjoyed dance with dragons a lot more than say a clash of kings which I read unspoiled.

people get too touchy about spoilers.