PDA

View Full Version : People who have never had a face/heel run?

chatty
March 27th, 2013, 8:21 AM
here can't be very many and its probably easier to find people from early pre 90s as gimmicks lasted longer, less TV time etc. Can also narrow it down to wrestlers time in a certain company to make it easier. Here's some I can think of (although I could be wrong on a few of them):

Ted Dibiase - can't remember him ever being a face in WWF/E other than maybes bit part legends appearances.

Honky Tonk Man - same as Dibiase

RVD - can't remember the guy ever being a heel, even during the invasion angle he wasn't portrayed as a heel (maybes for a couple of weeks).

Hogan - heel run in WWF/E consists of about two months max. Obviously over in WCW his whole time mainly consisted of him being a heel. He was a heel before his Hulkamania run but I'm not sure how long that lasted or if it was even whilst he was employed under WWWE or whatever it was called back then.

Rey Mysterio - had a heel stint in WCW but was mostly face and in WWE I think he's always been a face.

MMH
March 27th, 2013, 8:27 AM
I think DiBiase had a face run in the early 80s. He was a good face elsewhere.

Honky Tonk Man came in as a face and the crowd shit on him so he turned heel. It was quite a fun angle actually as he put it to the crowd to decide if they liked him or not.

Pretty sure Steamboat was never a heel.

McBain
March 27th, 2013, 8:35 AM
Wasn't RVD a heel for a bit with Bill Alfonso in ECW?

Or a tweener. Either way, Alfonso was an annoying cunt.

Fanny Batter
March 27th, 2013, 9:15 AM
Rey hasn't turned in over 10 years of being in WWE. He's been out half of that admittedly so he doesn't get overexposed like many others have, but still impressive. He is the most natural face ever though, simply can't imagine him being anything different. The one thing that would turn him, turning his back on the latino fanbase, would require a good promo, and he hasn't got that in him.

Cena's coming up for 10 years come November, but he's a special case. He was only heel for a year. Dolph's been in the company since 2005 and has never had a face run in all of his guise's. Cody Rhodes has been a heel for 5 years which is decent modern day. Jack Swagger debuted as a heel and hasn't turned yet. Kofi's been babyface for the whole 5 years.McIntyre had a very brief babyface run in 2007 but has been heel since his re-debut. Half of the Nexus (Barrett, Slater, Young, Otunga) that debuted haven't had a babyface run on proper TV since they debuted in June 2010. Yoshi Tatsu hasn't turned since his debut, but admittedly hardly does anything.

Who has had the most turns, Big Show or Kane? Show debuted as a heel, turned face on Vince, heel with Undertaker, face when he won the title, heel with Shane, face as "Showster" etc. (5 turns in about 14 months!). Left as a face, turned on return on The Rock. Turned face by being WWF. Heel on Lesnar. Face upon return in 2004. Heel turn on ECW. Returned as a face. Heel on Undertaker. Face on Miz. Heel on Cena. Face on Shield. Hasn't quite been as obscene since he returned for Mayweather 5 years ago (still 4 since then in the same time frame as Kofi's debut), but christ. 15. Kane debuted heel. Turned face after being betrayed by Taker/Bearer. Heel joining the Corporation. Face with X-Pac. Heel on Undertaker before Summerslam 2000. Face around the Rumble with Brothers of Destruction. Heel with the mask coming off. Face during the Snitsky feud. Flirted with turning for "May 19th but won't count that). Stayed face bloody ages during this run too be fair, finally turning with the Taker is a vegetable thing. Face against The Corre. Embracing the hate mask on heel. Face with Bryan. 11, with one face run lasting 6 years. Take away that and he turns every year pretty much.

JP
March 27th, 2013, 9:39 AM
RVD was a brilliant heel.

Bluegunn
March 27th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Steamboat and Santana the only man to never have been a heel. Steamboat proposed it once, but Patterson said it would never work because the audience would always cheer him even if he turned on Hogan. Unsure about Bruno Sammartino. Sylvain Grenier never played a face except one episode in Canada if you can count that. Chris Nowinski if you can count his short career never played a face.

Andy
March 27th, 2013, 2:04 PM
Heyman has never been a face in WWE and he's still just as good a heel as he was 12 years ago.

Dreyski
March 27th, 2013, 2:23 PM
I could be wrong on all of these (in WWE)...

Heels:
Nasty Boys
Beverley Brothers
I.R.S.
Mr Perfect

Faces:
Legion of Doom
Ultimate Warrior

Cewsh
March 27th, 2013, 2:27 PM
Mr. Perfect did turn face, for sure. He's the one who got rid of Flair.

OD50
March 27th, 2013, 2:28 PM
Was Dusty Rhodes ever a heel in WCW/NWA? Not counting his weird, pointless 1998 nWo stuff.

Maybe The Iron Sheik is a dude who never played babyface in the WWF or WCW. I have this really vague memory of the Sheik making a super brief WWF return in 1988 and kind of acting like a face, we're just talking a couple of matches here though, tops.

Adrian Adonis was always a heel in the WWF I believe, same goes for Cowboy Bob Orton and Rick Rude.

And yeah, like someone mentioned; Honky Tonk Man played a babyface for the first months of his WWF run (mid/late 1986). Then we had the ''vote-of-no-confidence'' or whatever it was.

JYD, Koko B. Ware and Hillbilly Jim were always faces in the WWF.

Hacksaw Duggan had a brief heel run in WCW and I believe he was a heel very early in career, probaly in Mid-South. I believe the heel group was called the Rat Pack, Ted DiBiase and someone else were in there too.

Can't imagine Pedro Morales ever being a heel.

And Bobby Heenan never was a face of course.

Harley Race was a face for the final months of his WWF career in 1989, when he lost the crown to Haku at the 1989 Royal Rumble for example.

Beer-Belly
March 27th, 2013, 2:29 PM
Heyman has never been a face in WWE and he's still just as good a heel as he was 12 years ago.

Heyman was a face when they brought back ECW.

OD50
March 27th, 2013, 2:32 PM

Heels:
Nasty Boys
Beverley Brothers
I.R.S.
Mr Perfect

Faces:
Legion of Doom
Ultimate Warrior

IRS was a babyface when he wrestled as Mike Rotundo in the U.S Express (with Barry Windham and later Danny Spivey). And yeah, Perfect turned face just before the 1992 Survivor Series when he joined Randy Savage vs Flair/Razor. Perfect 'retired' Flair from the WWF the night after the 1993 Royal Rumble on Raw.

JP
March 27th, 2013, 2:38 PM

Heels:
Nasty Boys
Beverley Brothers
I.R.S.
Mr Perfect

Faces:
Legion of Doom
Ultimate Warrior

Nasty Boys were face towards the end of their wwe run.

Hotbeef-Injection
March 27th, 2013, 2:48 PM
Was Jeff Hardy ever a heel in WWE? And was Owen Hart ever a face?

I can certainly think of some guys who never should have been turned face (Lesnar the most obviously).

Cewsh
March 27th, 2013, 2:52 PM
Owen was a face a few times. Notably when he was teaming with Koko B. Ware, and when he faced Triple H at Wrestlemania.

greebull
March 27th, 2013, 2:52 PM
Jeff Hardy was a heel when they were in the 'New Brood.'

Owen was a face for a short time. They called him the 'Black Hart.'

Kdestiny
March 27th, 2013, 3:21 PM
What about Rey Mysterio? Was he heel back in the WCW?

Cewsh
March 27th, 2013, 3:23 PM
Yeah, he was a heel when he lost his mask and joined The Filthy Animals.

MMH
March 27th, 2013, 3:26 PM

Yeah when Jimmy Hart ditched them for The Natural Disasters who he in turn ditched for Money Inc.

stylepoints
March 28th, 2013, 12:37 AM
I think DiBiase had a face run in the early 80s. He was a good face elsewhere.

DiBiase was a face in the mid-south and uwf until 87 when the promotion was sold to JCP. He was such a remarkable face that I was so dissapointed he came into the wwf as a heel. As great as the Million Dollar man gimmick was, I thought he would have been even bigger as a face. His feud with Michael Hayes and the Freebirds is one of my all-time favorites. Then again, Williams, Taylor, and Watts were.also heavily involved.

WWE finally aquired the Watts library a few months ago. Hopefully you guys will get to see what a major win this promotion was. It was like a better attitude era. Mid-South and UWF were.so far ahead of it's time it's ridiculous.

_me
March 28th, 2013, 2:47 AM

if i recall jimmy hart sold their title shot to money inc and thus turning the nastys. 93ish?

edit - just saw MMH's post before me. i forgot about the natural disasters in between

chatty
March 28th, 2013, 8:17 AM
The Biushwackers in WWE - can't remember them being heel under this banner although they were meant to be an awesome heel team when they were the sheephearders

JRSlim21
March 28th, 2013, 8:37 AM
"Owen Hart" debuted as a face before High Energy to start up the New Foundation w/ Neidhart.

Let's please forget about Hacksaw's heel run, albeit a solid idea in theory that would've been huge during the Hogan/Slaughter desert Storm feud.

I think the funny part about RVD is that he's been the same character for the last 15 years or so? He was a guy full of himself, always saying the fans want to see Mr. Monday Night Rob-Van-Dam. Fans just liked him anyway.

I don't believe WWF has ever seen Face Jeff Jarrett

Hacksaw
March 28th, 2013, 12:01 PM
I don't recall Tito Santana ever being a heel.

kangus
March 28th, 2013, 12:26 PM
I wish I didn't recall Tito Santana at all.

Kneeneighbor
March 28th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Was Sting ever heel in WcW?

Atty
March 28th, 2013, 12:32 PM
I wish I didn't recall Tito Santana at all.
He's Arriba McEntire's brother.

kangus
March 28th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Face Tito: ARIBA:)
Heel Tito: ARIBA:mad:

The Law
March 28th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Was Sting ever heel in WcW?

Yeah, they turned him in late 1999. I'd blame this on Russo, but I think it might have happened before he signed. This was really the period where they were just trying anything without any regard to reason or logic.

Atty
March 28th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Didn't Sting have a heel period in TNA?

Mills
March 28th, 2013, 12:46 PM
kinda. It was a precursor to the whole "they" thing

stylepoints
March 28th, 2013, 1:25 PM
Rick Rude was never a face. There was a time where he and Vader were about to feud over the WCW title. Rude never turned face though. He even said the feud was evil vs evil or something like that. This was after Rude was injured in Japan. Apparently he couldnt go through with the feud and retired shortly after. He probably.would have been face in the Vader feud but it never got that far.

Most of the Von Erichs have never been heel. I don't believe Del Wilkes has ever been a heel. He wrestled for AWA as The Trooper and in GWF, WCW, WWF, and Japan as the Patriot. Magnum T.A. had a fairly short career but was never a heel and probably wouldn't have ever turned.

JP
March 28th, 2013, 1:38 PM
Rick Rude was never a face.

Am I remembering his ECW stint incorrectly, as I'm sure he was face, even if only for the short term.

stylepoints
March 28th, 2013, 1:53 PM
I wasn't really counting that. Besides being retired, that was such a short deal and.he buddied up with Douglas in the end anyways.

Chris Scott
March 28th, 2013, 6:04 PM
Dino Bravo and The Mountie?

JP
March 28th, 2013, 6:10 PM
Dino Bravo and The Mountie?

The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers were, quite incredibly, faces when they first started.

Bluegunn
March 28th, 2013, 6:14 PM
Bushwackers were heels in the UWF
The Fabulous Rougeaus started as faces (Jacques Rougeau is the mountie)
Dino Bravo was a face in WWWF when he teamed with Dominic DeNucci
PreRavishing Gimmick Rick Rude was a face
Speaking of Rude he teamed with Warrior back in the day under a heel gimmick

chatty
March 28th, 2013, 6:27 PM
Was koko ever a heel?

Has Warrior ever been a heel other than his real early days?

Bluegunn
March 28th, 2013, 6:30 PM
He teased heel in this match with Tito

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEYsLjAapYI
Koko was the Black Blue Blazer

chatty
March 28th, 2013, 6:31 PM
Was Goldberg ever a heel. I think maybes a short period near the end of WCW, can't fully remember though.

Bluegunn
March 28th, 2013, 7:32 PM
Was Goldberg ever a heel. I think maybes a short period near the end of WCW, can't fully remember though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUDS0VDuPMw

But then he screwed it up during an interview on Nitro talking about how he does not like being a bad guy

Dreyski
March 28th, 2013, 8:02 PM
Don't know enough about his TNA career, but I never saw Jeff Jarrett as a face in WWF or WCW.

darkhorse
March 28th, 2013, 8:06 PM
I believe Jarrett was initially a face in WCW.

Mills
March 28th, 2013, 8:35 PM
Jarrett was a face at first in WCW but quickly turned heel and took the US title and Debra

stylepoints
March 29th, 2013, 1:51 PM
Jarrett was a babyface in his early days in USWA. His first heel run may have been his WWF debut. Not sure on that but he was definitely a face when I first saw him.

Badger
March 30th, 2013, 8:50 AM
Josh Matthews has never been heel.

Umaga'a never been face, but did get face-like reactions kicking the crap out of Santino. That now makes me miss heel Santino.

StoneColdChris
March 30th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Didnt they sort of turn Umaga face around Summerslam '07. I believe he faced Kennedy and Carlito at that PPV. I also remember a Cena/Umaga vs Orton/Carlito tag match around then.

MMH
March 30th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Yeah Umaga was definately face for a short while. I think they just changed their minds and hoped nobody would notice. To be fair hardly anybody did.

Badger
March 30th, 2013, 1:17 PM
Forgot about that stuff.

Still though, Josh hasn't turned......yet.

Jaymz
March 30th, 2013, 2:36 PM
I don't recall Giant Haystacks ever having a face run, but I might be wrong

Bluegunn
March 31st, 2013, 4:25 AM
I don't recall Giant Haystacks ever having a face run, but I might be wrong

Haystacks Calhoun was a face most of the time in the sixties

Jaymz
March 31st, 2013, 5:50 AM
The Giant Haystacks one or the real one? Giant Haystacks had a run as Haystacks Calhoun, but was named after the US wrestler before settling down into Giant Haystacks.

Some wiki research informed me that he even had a run in WCW as Loch Ness!

MMH
March 31st, 2013, 8:09 AM
The Giant Haystacks one or the real one? Giant Haystacks had a run as Haystacks Calhoun, but was named after the US wrestler before settling down into Giant Haystacks.

Some wiki research informed me that he even had a run in WCW as Loch Ness!

Giant Haystacks didnt start til the late 60's so I would assume its not him he is talking about.

Yeah Loch Ness was in the Dungeon of Doom. For about a week anyway.

Jaymz
March 31st, 2013, 12:31 PM
He was diagnosed with cancer shortly after he debuted, which kinda cut that short.

Giant Haystacks and Big daddy were staples of my childhood, and while their matches might look like shit nowadays, their influence on wrestling in Brtain cannot be understated

Mills
March 31st, 2013, 12:37 PM
I remember his match vs Big Show in WCW, that was fn crazy

MMH
March 31st, 2013, 1:46 PM
He was diagnosed with cancer shortly after he debuted, which kinda cut that short.

Giant Haystacks and Big daddy were staples of my childhood, and while their matches might look like shit nowadays, their influence on wrestling in Brtain cannot be understated

Yeah same here. I hated Big Daddy even then though.

Marc Rollerball Rocco, Kendo Nagasaki and the likes were my faves.

JRSlim21
March 31st, 2013, 4:57 PM
I remember his match vs Big Show in WCW, that was fn crazy

Was that the time they attempted a superplex? Little kid version of JR Slim marked the F out on that 1.