PDA

View Full Version : Bioshock Infinite

Alf
March 26th, 2013, 7:15 AM
Now, I'm almost certain I've already started a thread for this, but couldn'd find it.

Anyway, I got it on Saturday and have played it a bit. So far, it's been a bit dull to be honest. It feels a bit still and disconnected. You feel very static on screen because they've basically got no bob n weave when you move.

However, I've just met up with Elizabeth, and I think it might change things in a big, big, way.

Anyone else got it?

The Rogerer
March 26th, 2013, 7:26 AM
I don't got it yet but I might buy it soon. I've been waiting so long for this that I don't want to run in straight away as soon as it comes out, as I feel a bit burned out with anticipation. I have been through Bioshock 1 and 2 about three times each, as flawed as they are there's something very repeatable about them. This has been getting magnificent reviews, and they're right - Bioshock's base gameplay has always felt a bit off but the whole thing works somehow.

Alf
March 26th, 2013, 7:32 AM
So far the weapons and enemies were more real, felt like they had weight, in the Bioshocks. We'll see though.

Jez
March 26th, 2013, 7:53 AM
I'm getting it later this week for my birthday which is the first game I've got week one since Assassin's Creed 3. The reviews are painting this as something special and I'm anticipating it will be as I loved the first. In an industry where the most successful games are first person shooters this still somehow stands out from the pack and offers something different. With the Easter holidays coming up I'll have loads of time to sink into this, hopefully I'm not disappointed.

Big
March 26th, 2013, 8:45 AM
The trailer for this has me excited. It looks like a great game.

Alf
March 26th, 2013, 6:01 PM
I officially fancy Elizabeth now though.

The Rogerer
March 26th, 2013, 7:04 PM
Well changing her appearance about 5 times through the development has paid off then.

VHS
March 26th, 2013, 8:29 PM
With the positive press coming from this game, this may be one of the top 10 gaming experiences of all time. Simply beautiful.

Makes me wish I had enough time or money to build a SOTA rig. :(

The Rogerer
March 28th, 2013, 8:10 PM
Birthday present yeeeehaaaaaaa

The Rogerer
March 28th, 2013, 8:46 PM
I can't believe this is running in the same generation as Bioshock 1 & 2. The difference is staggering,

The Rogerer
March 29th, 2013, 5:43 AM
What a game, what a world.

Also the handling and weapons are 872 times better and tighter than the previous games.

Beer-Belly
March 29th, 2013, 6:23 AM
Indeed. As someone who doesn't normally take to first person shooters, this game is fucking amazing. I'm maybe 25% through it and I'm already dreading it ending.

Alf
March 29th, 2013, 8:47 AM
I'm a lot further in now... it is genuinely brilliant.

Beefy
March 29th, 2013, 8:56 AM
Sounds good lads. Is this a series that you can jump in at the third part of should I get the first two games first?

El Capitano Gatisto
March 29th, 2013, 9:45 AM
I might end my buying drought and head into town to get this today. Looks tremendous.

Alf
March 29th, 2013, 9:52 AM
Sounds good lads. Is this a series that you can jump in at the third part of should I get the first two games first?

This one is unrelated to the other two... Although they are well worth getting too.

Cewsh
March 29th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Well, they're connected, so if you play the first two you may get some "Aha!" moments, but the story definitely doesn't force you to have played the originals.

Atty
March 29th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Really want to play Infinite now. Absolutely LOVED the first game (could legit make a top ten ever list for me), but had no interest at all in 2 as it felt unnecessary after how lovely 1 wrapped up. Having a completely new setting and brilliant reviews have my interest.

Cewsh
March 29th, 2013, 11:14 AM
I've just completed the first act, and I would say that, at this point, this is twice the game that Bioshock was. And that was an incredible game.

VHS
March 29th, 2013, 2:09 PM
I want this game so bad, but the only things I'm not happy about are the atrociously convenient auto-aim and the checkpoint system. No quick save/load? I hate consoles.

That's not stopping me from potentially building a new machine from scratch and buying this mofo.

Cewsh
March 29th, 2013, 3:03 PM
I'll admit that I'm a bit annoyed by the lack of any save options other than the check points. It's not an actual issue, it's just a slight lack of convenience.

Alf
March 29th, 2013, 3:25 PM
Well, they're connected, so if you play the first two you may get some "Aha!" moments, but the story definitely doesn't force you to have played the originals.

I thought they were completely unrelated. If there are 'aha' moments then THANKS for signposting that for me...

And I wouldn't read this unless you have finished the game, because I don't know how far in this is... but...

New York and Old Elizabeth bit. Fu-cking-hell...

Cewsh
March 29th, 2013, 4:14 PM
This game takes place in the same world about 30 years before the events of Bioshock.

Beginning of the game detail:

I'm about 90% sure that the lighthouse from the very start of the game is the same as the one in Bioshock.

The Rogerer
March 29th, 2013, 4:19 PM
There's no reason to think that at all, is there?

I'm sure it's mean to be completely independent, and I don't think Bioshock 1 or 2 would make sense with the premise that there was a massive floating city 30 years earlier.

Cewsh
March 29th, 2013, 4:22 PM
There's no reason to think that at all, is there?

I'm sure it's mean to be completely independent, and I don't think Bioshock 1 or 2 would make sense with the premise that there was a massive floating city 30 years earlier.

Looking into it, it seems like people can't decide if it is or not. It was widely reported before Infinite came out that it was, but it could well have been a faulty rumor.

The Rogerer
March 29th, 2013, 4:29 PM
My impression always that it wasn't, and if I was doing it I'd make it independent. It's only called Bioshock for marketing reasons.

Cewsh
March 29th, 2013, 4:31 PM
Well if you were inclined, you could certainly find some parallels to suggest that this is the same world, and that Columbia has early versions of things seen later in Bioshock. But I'm about 1/4th of the way through the game, and it's not a rock worth dying on.

Alf
March 29th, 2013, 5:08 PM
Finished it...

WOW. The whole last section was incredible... fucking HELL... and yeah, Cewsh gets his wish of them being linked, very directly.

Loved the ending. Loved it. The title is incredibly literal it turns out.

EDIT:

Additional ending musing...

So, in bioshock only Andrew Ryan and the protagonist can use the bathyspheres when Rapture is in lockdown because of the dna thingy... and who uses the bathysphere in this game? In-te-resting...

The Rogerer
March 31st, 2013, 7:38 AM
Finished it. Aye, it is it's own story, you don't need to know anything about the previous games. Now, I'm going to have to sit down and think for a bit.

Alf
I was about to say you meant the Vita-chambers, but I think you're right that the same rule applied to the bathyspheres. I'd say it more ties into the fact that only the 'protagonist' can do these things, they do put meta-aspects into their games, and as Elizabeth said "There's always a man...", the first bioshock was already making statements about 'the hero' being very special.

I did a sealed envelope thing and sort of guessed around what was going on but I didn't predict that, ha. I guessed that Comstock and DeWitt had a relationship, I also maybe guessed that Elizabeth was brought back from the future, and was DeWitt's granddaughter, I was maybe seeing some clues they'd left about and putting them together a bit wrong.

I guess Cewsh doesn't know how right he was.

The Rogerer
March 31st, 2013, 9:34 AM
Talking about some things like at the start
You enter the seat in the lighthouse with the number 1 2 2, then you perhaps get drowned at the baptism, and then when you meet the Lucetes and you toss a coin, is it toss 123? They're restarting this whole rescue attempt every time you die, and the coin lands heads every time. It explains how you keep coming back from the dead, you're getting pulled back in by them every time, and they always want to explain how the player can come back from the dead in these things.

Atty
April 6th, 2013, 12:37 AM
Not really for Infinite, but I found this adorable and amusing. Basically, what BioShock (and Silent Hill in the link) would look like as a Dr. Seuss book.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18jprc1k4chw1png/original.png

http://kotaku.com/if-dr-seuss-wrote-bioshock-and-silent-hill-470893512

The Rogerer
April 14th, 2013, 5:51 AM
Elizabeth's Mother
http://www.luxmobilegroup.com/images/picture-bettyBoop.gif

The_Mike
January 13th, 2014, 9:47 PM
Finally finished this today after getting it in the Steam sale. Beautiful story, elegantly told. Shooting a couple of dozen soldiers every third room got to be a bit of a chore, though. I get that it's the nature of shooters but I rarely felt I was having much fun with the playing parts of the game, I just kept wanting to rush to the next part of the story and always came up against a wall of blundering AI that seemed able to hit me from round corners but wasn't smart enough to stop walking right up to my shotgun barrel. On the plus side, Elizabeth was a fantastic AI partner, full of personality and incredibly handy to have around. I can't stand games where your partner is essentially a burden who has to be corralled out of the line of fire all the time, and offers only paltry assistance now and then. She saved my bacon a bunch of times and I could really feel the loss during the sections where she wasn't around. It's a game that made me care about the characters, care about the overall story, and want to see what happens next.

Atty
January 14th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Love this game so much. Didn't play it until about a month ago but left thinking it was one of the best stories I've played in many ways and just loving everything about it. It's very rare that I've found a shooter to be so immersive. The route the story takes is so rare of games today where so many are just setting up the sequel at the end or not aiming so high. Lovely game. And Yahtzee's game of the year.

The_Mike
January 14th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Aiming high is a great way to put it. What felt so special about this one is that they had a story and they went balls to the wall to tell it to you. This wasn't just some instalment of an intellectual property they hoped to milk one last time, it was a world with history and atmosphere and fully realised characters. It's not often in gaming I find myself wondering if I should blow the brains out of a scientist who was torturing my companion because I actually cared about both the companion and my own moral culpability. For a story that basically grabs you by the hand and drags you along a linear path, there's still a great scope for thinking about what's going on and reacting organically.

Pablo Diablo
January 14th, 2014, 2:20 PM
I really loved this game. I'm only now playing Last of Us so I can't compare it with that but it was the top game of the year for me with GTA V. Depending on my mood.