PDA

View Full Version : The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon [Leno being kicked to the curb]

Fro
March 20th, 2013, 7:41 PM
It looks like there’s a reason why Jay Leno’s been sounding awfully testy about his bosses lately: A report in the New York Times today says it has promised Jimmy Fallon that he will succeed Jay Leno as the next host of The Tonight Show no later than fall 2014. The plan is to move the show from Burbank, Calif. to New York, where Fallon currently tapes his show. There is also talk of it returning to a 90-minute format. It’s unclear when an announcement will take place, and for now, NBC is only confirming that it is building a brand new set for Fallon. The Tonight Show first began in New York with Steve Allen in 1954. The news comes on the heels of Jimmy Kimmel’s emergence as a key player in the 11:30 p.m. timeslot. Though Leno continues to dominate in viewers and adults 18-49, Kimmel has been a success for ABC in terms of ad sales. ABC is able to attract premium ad dollars because of the younger viewers who have migrated to the show that also touts a strong musical (see: way hipper) element.

Earlier this month, The Hollywood Reporter posted a story that revealed succession plans involving Fallon, but NBC issued a categorical denial. In the meantime, Leno’s mounted a defensive on his show by taking digs at the top brass. On Monday, he compared his bosses to “snakes” while last night, he took a swipe at the ratings. Leno, like his counterparts at ABC and CBS, have long made fun of his superiors but he also has a right to sound and act a little cocky: The last time he was booted out of late night to make way for a younger talent like Conan O’Brien, it turned into a financial and public relations nightmare. It took a little time but, once returned to his throne at 11:30 p.m., Leno was able to bring The Tonight Show back to the winner’s circle where he has remained. Because of Leno’s dominance, there has to be some fear that Fallon may not be able to hold onto that lead if he ever does succeed Leno, a veritable every man who tells jokes that have every man appeal. Longtime Leno fans may not stick around to watch the younger guy, and the poor lead-in that NBC is currently offering isn’t doing The Tonight Show any favors. There is always the chance that a changing of the guard at 11:30 on NBC — and eventually at CBS, where David Letterman, 65, will beg off sooner rather than later — may help Kimmel even more.

For his part, Fallon is remaining humble about whatever change may be in store. In the issue of GQ out March 26, said “who really cares” about whether he’s the heir apparent. “In the nicest way. It would be great, sure, I guess. I’d love it, but it’s not on my mind. I’m in no rush to do anything,” he said in the magazine. “I’m kind of a boring character in that book. I’m not in a fight with Jay or Conan, or any of them. I don’t have that story.”

So it's happening. AGAIN. I doubt Leno will survive this one and it'll be Fallon's seat for a long time. Haters will hate but Fallon's show has become my favorite late night talk show going at the moment. He keeps his monologue short and sweet and has a bunch of good bits going like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJYYITqvFeE

:lol:

It's funny that Leno made news by calling NBC "snakes" in his monologue BEFORE this news broke. That means Leno's really pissed and will probably be leaving the station entirely unlike last time. This could get ugly.

Jimmy Zero
March 20th, 2013, 7:49 PM
Boo hoo for that big chinned unfunny cunt. If weren't for NBC being snakes, he never would have been given back his old Tonight Show gig in the first place. Fuck him and his goofy steam powered car collection.

LOCONUT
March 20th, 2013, 7:56 PM
Didnt NBC already try this with a late night host who was funnier and more over than Fallon? Not a knock on Jimmy but I cant see him having more success than Conan did. I dont watch so I am not really concerned personally but NBC is biting its own hand here. Jay is an idiot, but he is still #1 in late night ratings.

Beer-Belly
March 20th, 2013, 8:27 PM
Old people love Leno. If Conan can't woo the old codgers then I don't give Jimmy much hope. Much luck to Fallon and his crew, but I can't see this ending well.

I don't understand how the Nielsen's still matter when it comes to late night. Most people DVR the shows, and younger audiences just watch the bits they want online.

Atty
March 20th, 2013, 8:31 PM
Fallon has actually been great since the role clicked for him.

I wholely expected him to get Cocoed, though.

Beer-Belly
March 20th, 2013, 8:33 PM
I just want NBC to go belly up, honestly. Fuck 'em.

One Man Gang
March 20th, 2013, 8:43 PM
I want to see how long it takes Fallon to bring the ratings up. Leno got 2 years and Conan got 9 months I think?

Beer-Belly
March 20th, 2013, 8:54 PM
I want to see how long it takes Fallon to bring the ratings up. Leno got 2 years and Conan got 9 months I think?That 's what's always pissed me off; Conan got less than a year to prove himself. I wish he'd moved to Fox when he had the chance in the mid-2000's. Unfortunately, he wanted the Tonight Show brand name. I never got that at all. Brand names don't matter when it comes to talk shows. People watch for a personality, not the name of a show.

Conan's main mistake was that he didn't have the time slot guaranteed in his contract. He could have told NBC to suck it if he had 11:35 guaranteed.

Judas Iscariot
March 20th, 2013, 9:03 PM
Kimmel has apparently been taking chunks of the younger demographic from Leno and Letterman alike in that time spot.

I prefer Kimmel to either of them and his musical guests are always much better. Fallon has really gone from awkward to awesome though.

Craig Ferguson is still the best in late night.

Fro
March 20th, 2013, 9:05 PM
I want to see how long it takes Fallon to bring the ratings up. Leno got 2 years and Conan got 9 months I think?

Yeah, this move was obviously going to happen eventually given Fallon's recent success but the shocking part is how quickly they're doing it. Kimmel's pulling in the younger demos but Jay's still #1 in overall viewership like GBF said. And Kimmel JUST moved to 11:30 a couple months ago. They should have given it more time to shake out and see if Kimmel is going to sustain his recent hype. Now they've potentially got a disgruntled Leno on their hands for the next year (unless he ends up quitting early and Fallon moves up starting this fall).

I just want NBC to go belly up, honestly. Fuck 'em.

They practically have already. They finished 5TH PLACE in this season's sweeps. They've fallen behind the spanish channel ffs. That's why they aren't being patient with this situation. They need instant results and that's making them super reactionary - just like with Conan.

I don't want them to go under though - as much as they're being huge cocks and fuck ups right now, I still love the station. Seinfeld, Friends, The Office, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, SNL... it's historically been far and away the best comedy network.

Beer-Belly
March 20th, 2013, 9:07 PM
Could never get into Ferguson's comedy. I do like how he subverts the format, though.

I'm glad this means that Fallon gets to keep The Roots around.

Judas Iscariot
March 20th, 2013, 9:11 PM
Fallon's video game jokes aren't going to go over just like the masturbating bear. Which I know wasn't even allowed but still, you can't target the college audience that's up at 12:30 anyway at the earlier slot.

Beer-Belly
March 20th, 2013, 9:12 PM
Fro, most of those shows are long gone. Parks and Rec. is great, but I'm sure it could continue on Netflix or Amazon. With SNL... that would be strange. I'd imagine there'd be a bidding war for it or something.

Fro
March 20th, 2013, 9:26 PM
I'm glad this means that Fallon gets to keep The Roots around.

Let's hope. I assume they will stay with him but you never know, especially since it's NBC and The Roots have a successful music career to fall back on if negotiations don't go well.

Fallon already has the best music in late night for a hip hop head like myself (by far). Not only does he have The Roots every night but he's also had some very memorable TV debuts of upcoming rappers like Odd Future, Joey Badass and ASAP Rocky. Which is not to say that's the only genre he has on the show.

mr sabu
March 20th, 2013, 9:27 PM
i enjoyed spike feresten

Version 6
March 20th, 2013, 10:19 PM
I've always wondered about the US late night show culture.

How do these shows, which start so late have so much mainstream influence and attention? And how do they have such large audiences given the timeslots?

It's always been something I've found interesting and fairly unique to America.

Atty
March 20th, 2013, 10:41 PM
We drink far too much caffeine here, basically.

Beer-Belly
March 20th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Conan O'Brien is huge in Finland.

G-Fresh
March 20th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Jimmy Fallon is an annoying bitch. I really don't get why people think he's so funny.

The Rick
March 20th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Jimmy Fallon is an annoying bitch. I really don't get why people think he's so funny.

It was when he joined Saturday Night Live, that I stopped watching. I prefer Ferguson for the late shows. I'm usually finishingup my game or Netflix movie during Leno & Letterman's time slot.

G-Fresh
March 21st, 2013, 12:43 AM
Ferguson is all about some Wu-Tang. He gets legit excited every time RZA is on.

Fro
March 21st, 2013, 5:36 PM
It was when he joined Saturday Night Live, that I stopped watching.

Wow that's unfortunate. That Ferrell - Fallon - Morgan - Meadows - Hamond - Oteri - Gasteyer - Kattan - Parnell - Shannon - Sanz - Fey era is my favorite of the whole show.

Cewsh
March 21st, 2013, 5:41 PM
I've always wondered about the US late night show culture.

How do these shows, which start so late have so much mainstream influence and attention? And how do they have such large audiences given the timeslots?

It's always been something I've found interesting and fairly unique to America.

It's basically something that people watch as they're going to bed. A recurring joke is that Jay Leno and David Letterman have inadvertently watched more fucking than anyone else alive.

Mik
March 21st, 2013, 7:19 PM
They can't see out of the television mate, it's not a window.

Ochoa
March 21st, 2013, 8:04 PM
I like Fallon, but I'm still unsure of this actually ending well. I can see NBC panicking again if Fallon isn't a success right away. That should still be Conan's job imo.

virms
March 21st, 2013, 8:38 PM
Someone will have to prove Fallon is funny to me first.

G-Fresh
March 21st, 2013, 8:41 PM
He's nothing more than an Adam Sandler biter.

ReDPath
March 23rd, 2013, 7:11 PM
Leno will end up being a regular on Bill Maher.

Leno I had no problem with, he was a stabilizing force IMO.

A lot of these guys are so-so, so I really can't blame NBC for being skeptical. Though I do like Conan.

Mark Hammer
March 23rd, 2013, 7:18 PM
Someone will have to prove Fallon is funny to me first.

The celebrity whispers video Fro posted in the OP almost had me crying.

virms
March 23rd, 2013, 7:29 PM
Maybe I need to watch it again but it didn't even garner a chuckle out of me.

Mark Hammer
March 23rd, 2013, 8:33 PM
I bet you don't laugh at farts either.

mth
March 23rd, 2013, 8:45 PM
I gave it a watch. I smirked at best.

Judas Iscariot
March 23rd, 2013, 8:57 PM
The whispers thing wasn't funny at all. The letters thing he does van be funny though.

Vice
March 23rd, 2013, 9:01 PM
I just went back and watched the whispers thing and thought it was terrible.

Atty
March 23rd, 2013, 9:17 PM
I didn't even smirk at the whispers bit.

Fro
March 24th, 2013, 2:43 AM
Mark Hammer is the only one of you lot with a sense of humor. :mad:

I think his bits overall are as good or better than the other bits by late night hosts. That one (celebrity whispers) is something I only saw recently and I think he does it rarely, but it cracks me up. His more regular ones (thank you notes, pros and cons, hashtags) are not ground breaking comedy by any means - they're typical late night fodder - but they are good for a chuckle. Thank you notes is his go-to Friday-night one and it's just as good as "Headlines" or the top ten list both of which were funny for a while but lost their charm years ago.

I love Conan. Whenever I find a podcast with him as guest I listen to it because he's a hilarious person and always has a quick funny comeback. The bits he does where it's just him going out on location to some random job, or his video game reviews, are hilarious. But I also think he's easily the weakest of the lot when it comes to interviewing guests (he tends to make it awkward with his self-deprecating schtick and brings it back to himself instead of setting up the guest).

I'd love it if Conan was still the Tonight Show host with Fallon following him for the next decade, and ultimately I think Conan suffered mainly from bad timing (with NBC not ready to move on from Leno), but I can also see why Fallon has a better chance to succeed in the big chair. He has more mass appeal and his humor tends to be less confrontational, and his overall production is just as strong.

Atty
March 24th, 2013, 9:53 AM
Mark Hammer is the only one of you lot with a sense of humor. :mad:

You liked Mega Man 8 too?!

Fro
April 3rd, 2013, 1:38 PM
Well, it's official. Leno gets one final year before leaving for good.

The rumor is that Seth Meyers will take over Fallon's late night gig which could mean that Lorne Michaels will be producing about 14 hours of television a week for NBC. He is probably the happiest out of anyone about this. Meyers is a good choice, I'd say.

Pipkin
April 3rd, 2013, 1:48 PM
I like Meyers on Weekend Update a lot. I don't know how well that translates to a late night hosting slot, but it couldn't hurt. I would be very excited to watch Fallon/Meyers back to back, and it could give NBC a real leg up on the younger audiences going forward.

Jimmy Zero
April 3rd, 2013, 5:29 PM
So, what have we learned from all this?

Stick around on Weekend Update long enough, and NBC will probably give you your own tv show.

G-Fresh
April 3rd, 2013, 5:57 PM
or make you a Football commentator.

Jimmy Zero
April 3rd, 2013, 5:58 PM
LOL that shit was hilarious.

Judas Iscariot
April 3rd, 2013, 6:10 PM
:rofl: BRING MILLER BACK. I tried to video on YouTube but I guess they've been wiped, so here's this:

http://www.jokeindex.com/joke.asp?Joke=3148

Ochoa
April 3rd, 2013, 6:39 PM
Did Colin Quinn have his own show? He's the only Weekend Update person I've never heard from since.

Matthew
April 3rd, 2013, 6:48 PM
had his own panel show on comedy central

G-Fresh
April 3rd, 2013, 6:54 PM
Yup & Norm has had a string of awkward shows.

Zacharie
April 3rd, 2013, 6:54 PM
I hate Fallon and his side kick. He'll probably end up sticking though. People are attracted to shit.

It doesn't even matter anymore, Conan and Kimmel are still around so late night is still great.

Judas Iscariot
April 3rd, 2013, 7:02 PM
Quinn had a short lived sitcom, too. Or a sketch show, but he had something else that didn't last long at all.

Jimmy Zero
April 3rd, 2013, 8:45 PM
Colin Quinn was easily the worst Weekend Update person ever. So awful.

Beer-Belly
April 4th, 2013, 5:08 AM
Colin Quinn is funny outside of his Update stint, though. His type of rambling observational humor was never going to work well in that environment. His panel show, Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn, was great while it lasted. That's where I first got exposed to Greg Giraldo and Patrice O'Neal.

I think Seth Meyers going to Late Night could be a great fit. His Weekend Update is usually the only reliable part of SNL these days.

Judas Iscariot
April 4th, 2013, 5:20 AM
Quinn came after Norm, who was my favorite Weekend Update anchor because he so clearly didn't give a shit. I liked Quinn for the Update because he did something similar but somehow more deadpan.

I completely agree that Meyers is gonna be made for Late Night.

Beer-Belly
April 4th, 2013, 5:33 AM
Man, Lorne Michaels owns NBC's late night now.

There was some interview recently Tina Fey where she said that no one else could do SNL but Lorne Michaels and that the show should end when he retires which... is bullshit. I respect Michaels, but the reverence that some people have for him is ridiculous. Jesus, you're telling me that no one in North America can do semi-weekly sketch comedy but Lorne Michaels? Fuck outta here with that non-sense. SNL can be funny at times, but more often than not it's fist clinchingly awful. Yeah, abort the search, gang; we're never going to top the man who gave the greenlight to Drunk Uncle.

Beer-Belly
April 4th, 2013, 9:27 AM
Apparently Letterman's contract is up 2014 and there's interest in Jon Stewart as the replacement. Not a big fan of that. Stewart has a unique thing going with The Daily Show and to drop that and go to a regular late night talk show would be quite a shift. Not to mention that he's a politically polarizing figure that a sizable portion of the audience will release frothy shit into their pants over.

Fro
January 22nd, 2014, 1:02 AM
Apparently Letterman's contract is up 2014 and there's interest in Jon Stewart as the replacement. Not a big fan of that. Stewart has a unique thing going with The Daily Show and to drop that and go to a regular late night talk show would be quite a shift. Not to mention that he's a politically polarizing figure that a sizable portion of the audience will release frothy shit into their pants over.

Agreed, Stewart could never do a regular non partisan late night show at this point. That would suck so much. Liberals would be pissed that he's toning it down and conservatives would still hate him for his 20 years or whatever of sticking it to them.

Anyway I bumped this thread to say that even though I'm stoked for Fallon to take over Tonight and Seth Meyers to get his own show, I've been flipping to Leno lately, just here and there as his time comes to a close, and the man is good at what he does. He's a legend in the game and even though I think Fallon's Late Night is much more creative, funny and relevant, I'll miss Leno a bit. Dude has been on the Tonight Show since I was 6. I'll tune in for his finale for sure.

Atty
January 23rd, 2014, 11:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duKL2dAJN6I

Particularly like the end.

Atty
February 18th, 2014, 1:34 PM
Suck it, Leno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTpn30Pms8I

VHS
February 18th, 2014, 2:28 PM
I like Jimmy, but he's just not... "funny".

He's a pale comparison to previous late night talk hosts.

Fro
February 18th, 2014, 2:44 PM
I would argue that he's more comedically talented as a performer than any of his predecessors and it's not even remotely close. Granted he doesn't have much of a standup background and is more about sketch, improv, music and impersonations.

Donald
February 18th, 2014, 2:46 PM
Does he still laugh during everything he does?

Beer-Belly
February 18th, 2014, 4:13 PM
Leno tells hack jokes for simpletons.

I don't believe there's ever been a talk show as funny as Conan's run on Late Night. Comedy is subjective, though. Bits and characters like the Coked Up Werewolf, The Interrupter, and Vomiting Kermit were right up alley, but I understand that a lot of people don't like that type of humor.

Atty
February 18th, 2014, 4:31 PM
Fallon got Will Smith to do the Carlton. He's obviously miles beyond Leno based on that alone. He also got Colbert, Tina Fey and Mike Tyson on the same show with that. That war criminal Leno could never do that.

Newf
February 18th, 2014, 4:35 PM
My big thing is that Leno A) seemed to think he was above his guests and B) didn't seem up for making fun of himself. A lot of his laughs came at the expense of others... Jaywalking being a prime example.

I feel that Fallon is always up for making an ass of himself so guests are more willing to come on and do a silly bit with him, like the arm wrestling thing with Statham or the egg roulette bit with Tom Cruise.

I'm just glad that out of touch prick is gone and Fallon's brought some new life to the Tonight Show. His was the first episode I watched probably since Conan left.

The Rick
February 18th, 2014, 4:40 PM
I completely agree that Meyers is gonna be made for Late Night.

I watch Ferguson in the Late Nigh slot. Unless Meyers pulls a gay skeleton robot and Secretariat out of his ass too I don't care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3aExw7wpRg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wboh5onk-g

Atty
February 18th, 2014, 4:41 PM
I don't think I watched Leno's second run at all. Maybe a bit of the monologue here and there, but it was just cringeworthy and the guy had been sealed as an unlikable dickhole in my mind.

The not making fun of himself thing is a good point. Can't really recall Jay ever mocking himself, even after he chased Conan away. I would say he did some chin jokes, but what I can recall along those lines were just drawings they might have shown going to commercial rather than him actively poking fun at himself.

Pipkin
February 18th, 2014, 5:07 PM
I would argue that he's more comedically talented as a performer than any of his predecessors and it's not even remotely close. Granted he doesn't have much of a standup background and is more about sketch, improv, music and impersonations.
Including all those facets, maybe. His career as a performer is more successful than any of the others at that point in their careers, but Leno was a standup, Carson was more of a radio personality I think, and Conan was a writer, so I don't know how you can really compare them to a tv and film actor. I don't really know anything about Steve Allen or Jack Paar, honestly, and have never seen any of their Tonight Show work.

During monologues, I think Fallon's delivery and timing are noticeably worse than Conan's, Carson's, and Leno's, but that's obviously just one facet of the gig. Fallon's bits and interviews are generally good, but I would personally rate both Conan and Carson ahead of him in both categories.

Newf
February 18th, 2014, 5:09 PM
I love Ferguson. It's a shame that he doesn't seem a lock for Letterman's job but he's admittedly weird and flips the whole late night format on its head, so I can see where a bunch of stuffy old guys might be reluctant to give him the captain's chair.

His rapport with Kristen Bell is just amazing and some of his banter with Geoff has me crying laughing (as it has him sometimes, it seems.)

Pipkin
February 18th, 2014, 5:43 PM
Craig is my favorite late night host. He really is amazing, but I don't know if he's really a good fit for an 11:30 slot because he's so purposefully different.

Oh hey, I just flipped the channel and Ferguson is on CBS's rip off of The View. He's so genuinely interesting and funny...he's really one of my favorite people on television.

I loved his memoir too.

Mik
February 18th, 2014, 5:46 PM
I like Fallon, partially because a good friend of mine works on his show and says that he's absolutely lovely. He does seem like a nice guy. However he just doesnt seem as comfortable or natural in front of a camera, he isnt a performer as such, he's not especially charismatic. That doesnt mean he's not good though. Just different.

Fro
February 18th, 2014, 7:37 PM
Fallon is extremely agreeable and pleasant. He's perfect for the broad audience of The Tonight Show because he's generally inoffensive. I think he's great at the interviews, he gets the most out of the guests instead of taking over the conversation and making it awkward like Conan. And the games he plays with the guests are cool too. In terms of monologue, he's perfectly adequate. The only three I watch are Fallon, Conan and Kimmel and they're all about even for me. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. Conan's monologue shtick is pretty played out by now. I like his delivery but his improv with the audience is lame (it wasn't always but it is now). Kimmel has a good deadpan deliver and does everything without much emotion or variation.

Newf
February 18th, 2014, 8:00 PM
I've lost interest in Conan. Like you said, he's too much about making it awkward and the self-deprecation is overdone. Craig also sort of does awkward but in less of a dirty uncle way. He's just very aloof and plays it so much better when he says something pervy.

I've gotta say, a big thing going for Jimmy (Fallon, but both of them for that matter) is relevance on social media. If you see a late night clip posted on Twitter or Facebook it's almost always Fallon or Kimmel. I can't remember the last time I saw anything from the other 4 posted the way Celebrities Read Mean Tweets or any one of Fallon's throwback/nostalgia things or skits get posted. In a way it's that topical, pop-culture, finger on the pulse quality that might alienate some of Leno's viewers but it is also what sets him apart and will serve him well down the road, hopefully.

Brian M.
February 18th, 2014, 8:01 PM
I couldn't stand Fallon by the end of his SNL run, so it took my a few years before I finally tuned into Late Night. I feel like I missed out though, because the dude's definitely found his calling. I haven't been watching much late night TV at all, and when I do it's usually Ferguson. But I can see myself watching Fallon a few nights a week now. There's always at least a couple of things that make me laugh out loud, which is tough to do these days on a talk show.

Morrison
February 18th, 2014, 8:05 PM
My big thing is that Leno A) seemed to think he was above his guests and B) didn't seem up for making fun of himself. A lot of his laughs came at the expense of others... Jaywalking being a prime example.

I feel that Fallon is always up for making an ass of himself so guests are more willing to come on and do a silly bit with him, like the arm wrestling thing with Statham or the egg roulette bit with Tom Cruise.

I'm just glad that out of touch prick is gone and Fallon's brought some new life to the Tonight Show. His was the first episode I watched probably since Conan left.

I don't think I watched Leno's second run at all. Maybe a bit of the monologue here and there, but it was just cringeworthy and the guy had been sealed as an unlikable dickhole in my mind.

The not making fun of himself thing is a good point. Can't really recall Jay ever mocking himself, even after he chased Conan away. I would say he did some chin jokes, but what I can recall along those lines were just drawings they might have shown going to commercial rather than him actively poking fun at himself.

leno used to make fun of himself. back in the early years of his run he had segments like mr. brain and iron jay that were waaaayyy more goofy and playful. at some point he just became complacent and stuck in a formula/routine.

Kyle_242
February 18th, 2014, 8:08 PM
Yeah, people forget how funny Leno was for awhile there. It was right around the time Letterman stopped caring.

TimeSplitter
February 18th, 2014, 9:07 PM
Just watched the first episode. Fallon is a funny guy, and I think having a wider fan base will heighten his act. Looming forward to further shows.

Atty
February 18th, 2014, 9:45 PM
I couldn't stand Fallon by the end of his SNL run, so it took my a few years before I finally tuned into Late Night. I feel like I missed out though, because the dude's definitely found his calling. I haven't been watching much late night TV at all, and when I do it's usually Ferguson. But I can see myself watching Fallon a few nights a week now. There's always at least a couple of things that make me laugh out loud, which is tough to do these days on a talk show.

Fallon had the blessing and curse of his start on Late Night being quite poor. He looked nervous, his delivery was off and it was a bit of a car wreck. I stopped following him then. When I caught him a year later, it was like a whole new Fallon. He earned so much respect from me for how much he obviously put into improving himself and he's been very good ever since. I've noticed a lot of people who saw a few early episodes and still hold that as what his act is now. For those people (the "does he still laugh at his own jokes like he did 15 years ago on SNL?" group) that he could really shine to now. Someone with that mindset who tunes in is liable to be quite surprised.

I still prefer Conan (and Colbert and Stewart if you count them), but Fallon really has found his calling.

Kyle_242
February 18th, 2014, 11:04 PM
He's definitely improved. I couldn't stand him on SNL, so I had no desire to see him take over for Conan, but I started catching some Late Night clips here and there and warmed up to him pretty quickly.

I think he was the first late night host to really embrace social media, which made the show feel very current. And the comedy segments are really good more often than not. But I actually can't stand his interviews, he could have Charles Manson and he'd gush over how he's his favorite celebrity and he loves every single thing he does. And I don't find the celebrity games he does that entertaining, although they do have their moments.

I prefer Kimmel's interviews, since he's not afraid to poke fun at the guests. Reminds me a little of old school Letterman (who, imo, still hasn't been matched, even by Letterman himself). But the rest of the show is pretty hit and miss, it feels like I want to like it much more than I do.

I don't catch Ferguson that often, but I probably should check it more. It's the off-beat humor I like, like old school Conan, and of all the shows it gives me the most potential to absolutely lose it laughing. Unfortunately I can't shake that C-show "Later-ish" vibe from it, but if it's funny who cares.

Oh, and I always forget Conan still has a show.

Beer-Belly
February 20th, 2014, 1:21 AM
I still go back and watch old Conan clips.

Fallon seems to be keeping his Late Night schtick going, which I like, but I can't see the old Leno crowd going for it.

Atty
February 20th, 2014, 3:16 AM
Conan's still marvelous. I particularly love his website as you can steam monologues, comedy sketches, interviews or full episodes all in a row. Like, if I want to watch his skits, I can have them fire off one after another. It's lovely.

Fro
March 5th, 2014, 6:13 PM
I've watched a little bit of Late Night with Seth Meyers ... the premiere and a few other times.... and man is he awful! I know these guys always start out slow so we shouldn't judge him for a year or two, but he is worse than I expected.

Pipkin
March 5th, 2014, 6:58 PM
He's worse than I expected, but I wouldn't say he's awful. I agree that he needs lots of work though, particularly on his timing.

Beer-Belly
April 3rd, 2014, 5:01 PM
David Letterman is retiring next year. I figured I just post that in here rather make a whole new thread. Speaking of which, any chance we could just make this a catch all thread for late night talk shows?

Atty
April 3rd, 2014, 5:20 PM
He's worse than I expected, but I wouldn't say he's awful. I agree that he needs lots of work though, particularly on his timing.

His delivery is the thing that needs the most work. He's very used to the the Weekend Update delivery and still does the pause and confident smirk after his jokes. That worked very well in that setting, but when he's standing up doing a monologue, it doesn't. He also acts like he thinks the box is still to the left of his head, giving some summary of the story with a witty name/picture.

Atty
April 22nd, 2014, 12:40 PM
Legendary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jidziKYG9jk

Fro
April 22nd, 2014, 1:41 PM
That's a good one :yes:

Clerk
April 22nd, 2014, 1:53 PM
Like Late Night reality shows go watch Conan

Fro
April 22nd, 2014, 1:57 PM
Was that a sentence?

Donald
April 22nd, 2014, 2:42 PM
He's being sarcastic I believe. Of course late night reality shows don't watch Conan.

Kimura Kid
April 22nd, 2014, 2:48 PM
Legendary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jidziKYG9jk

:yes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-YCeIgt7hMs

The Rick
April 28th, 2014, 11:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDyt0M8Zecw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8EKjgU5Lts

I gotta say, Fallon is growing on my in his tonight show gig. With Colbert coming up, I don't know who to cheer for. Maybe Truthiness

The Rick
April 29th, 2014, 10:26 PM
Oh and Craig Ferguson is leaving the Late Late Show at the end of the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMeltYXaQw0

This sucks. The show has really found a nice pace with writing and interplay with the characters. I preferred him to Fallon in this late time slot, and hoped he would have gotten a shot at being the successor to Dave. I'm wondering if that has a little to do with it. He has been funny for quite some time. I don't blame a guy that wants something different after 10 years. Good for him, and I hope he finds another fun job.(but probably not one with the very attractive females that his current gig gets). :yes:

Fro
May 23rd, 2014, 6:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uBOtQOO70Y

this is pretty great

Donald
May 23rd, 2014, 6:40 PM
Luke warm chili peppers :lol:

VanillaJello
February 5th, 2015, 12:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MftOONlDQac

sam_elmendorf
February 5th, 2015, 4:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL6baIiRkSg

Fro
February 5th, 2015, 10:03 PM
holy shit belding is so fat!!! and kelly is still hot

Atty
February 5th, 2015, 10:07 PM
I loved that so much. I've seen Belding a lot since Saved by the Bell (Always Sunny, The JBL (Not Cole) Show), but never realized how fat he had gotten until seeing him next to the Zack Pack.

Fallon has been killing it. Tried to get tickets to the Phoenix show but they were gone immediately.

lotjx
February 5th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Tiffany Amber. Christ.

Fro
February 5th, 2015, 11:12 PM
That fresh prince video is also wonderful

and while were at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vMIazx2yWo

Donald
February 5th, 2015, 11:31 PM
Love this guy's love for Neil Young.

http://youtu.be/H6otmy3DAK8

Bert
February 6th, 2015, 12:29 AM
That fresh prince video is also wonderful

and while were at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vMIazx2yWo

Good video. I don't know if I can watch anymore of these now that I know he's a lying scumbag though.

sam_elmendorf
February 6th, 2015, 2:32 PM
Yeah, it kinda sucks that he got called out on that. I think he is the only newscaster, anchor whatever that I've actually enjoyed watching in a long time. I'm pretty sure he's still a cool guy, but riding on that lie for so long really fucked him.

Atty
February 6th, 2015, 2:48 PM
And he's got mad rap skills.

LOCONUT
February 6th, 2015, 5:12 PM
That Neil Young video is excellent.

Fro
April 8th, 2015, 7:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYuvII0Pohw

hilarious story

Judas Iscariot
April 8th, 2015, 7:44 PM
Louis CK is probably my favorite person ever.

Dream-Evil
April 8th, 2015, 9:11 PM
Makes me laugh that the other writer Louis is talking about is Starburns from Community.

Beer-Belly
April 8th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Louis CK is one of the few people in show business that's totally bulletproof. You don't have to look hard to find some of the "offensive" shit he's joked about over the years. I'd post his discussion with Patrice O'Neal about the origin of the "N word", but I'll leave it alone considering DVDA got banned for posting a Chappelle skit.

Rancid_Planet
April 8th, 2015, 10:11 PM
Louis CK is one of the few people in show business that's totally bulletproof. You don't have to look hard to find some of the "offensive" shit he's joked about over the years. I'd post his discussion with Patrice O'Neal about the origin of the "N word", but I'll leave it alone considering DVDA got banned for posting a Chappelle skit.

Wait what? Banned for posting a skit from a non pay cable show where they can't even use real dirty words? Wtf? What skit was it?

Beer-Belly
April 8th, 2015, 10:19 PM
Wait what? Banned for posting a skit from a non pay cable show where they can't even use real dirty words? Wtf? What skit was it?

DVDA posted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCbaMqyG2tA

He was banned before anyone asked where the clip was from.

The_Mike
April 8th, 2015, 10:33 PM
That's just bizarre. Did he post it as a response to Rosk's mum making a typo?

Rancid_Planet
Was he banned before anyone watched it? That's the funniest skit in the history of that show. If you posted that video on a neo nazi/kkk forum THEY would ban you for poking fun at their ignorance.

Beer-Belly
That's just bizarre. Did he post it as a response to Rosk's mum making a typo?

I don't think so. It was in the Asylum as well.

Beer-Belly
April 8th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Was he banned before anyone watched it? That's the funniest skit in the history of that show. If you posted that video on a neo nazi/kkk forum THEY would ban you for poking fun at their ignorance.

I can't remember who banned him, but I remember they were from the UK and apparently Chappelle wasn't a big deal over there.

Rancid_Planet
April 8th, 2015, 10:41 PM
Perhaps it isn't widely understood in the U.K. that we have this thing called the Klan here and they are stupid and need to be made fun of.

I went to school with a ton of kids whose dad's were in it. Business owners, Sheriff, Preachers...Tennessee can be such a hell hole. All those guys need to be fucked in the eyes through their hood holes.

G-Fresh
April 8th, 2015, 10:49 PM
I can't remember who banned him, but I remember they were from the UK and apparently Chappelle wasn't a big deal over there.

It was Andy and it was fuckin funny when I posted it. Ain't nobody give a fuck about what ADR has to say in some jibber jab language. Speak English if you want me to give a fuck.

Beer-Belly
April 9th, 2015, 2:16 AM
Who knew Louis CK was such a historian?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRDXeinEUJQ

G-Fresh
April 9th, 2015, 2:23 AM
The Opie vs Anthony feud is wacko.

Beer-Belly
April 9th, 2015, 2:30 AM
Opie is a piece of shit hack. Fuck that guy. His lack of self awareness is stunning. Even if Anthony is a creep in real life, I don't care because he makes me laugh. Opie has never made me laugh. That thin skinned asshole only has a career because he's been propped up by people like Anthony, Jim Norton, Colin Quinn, Louis CK, Bill Burr, Jim Jefferies, etc.

Fuck Opie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFvIdTbaMhA

Jimmy Zero
April 9th, 2015, 10:20 AM
How do you really feel?

Donald
April 9th, 2015, 10:55 AM
I enjoy the games Jimmy plays with the guests. I think it's unique.

The_Mike
April 9th, 2015, 2:33 PM

I knew of it back in high school...