PDA

View Full Version : If you take wrestling at face value...

turdpower
March 20th, 2013, 4:04 PM
Ask questions in this thread.

What does hooking the leg on a pin do? (Why don't they hold their hands on their opponents shoulders to keep them down?)

How does an Irish whip work?

You go.

Andy
March 20th, 2013, 4:07 PM
Kicking out is easier using your hips and legs. Hooking the leg makes that more difficult/makes you use more energy using your shoulders.

What do you mean how does it work?

Andy
March 20th, 2013, 4:09 PM
At the risk of getting too anal, why doesn't Sheamus get disqualified when he does he chest slap thing in the ropes? Everyone knows you get a five count to get out of the ropes but he literally counts to ten himself.

turdpower
March 20th, 2013, 4:14 PM
Kicking out is easier using your hips and legs. Hooking the leg makes that more difficult/makes you use more energy using your shoulders.

Are your two sentences linked? Because I didn't ask how that bit worked.

If you are answering the Irish whip question, it's basically fucking impossible.

mth
March 20th, 2013, 4:15 PM
At the risk of getting too anal, why doesn't Sheamus get disqualified when he does he chest slap thing in the ropes? Everyone knows you get a five count to get out of the ropes but he literally counts to ten himself.

I think his ten count goes faster than the ref's five count, though. You'd have to pay close attention but I believe the ref is doing his five count at the same time.

Andy
March 20th, 2013, 4:19 PM
Are your two sentences linked? Because I didn't ask how that bit worked.

If you are answering the Irish whip question, it's basically fucking impossible.

Yeah sorry. Do you mean because the person could stop themself or what? Could say that about loads of moves.

chatty
March 20th, 2013, 4:23 PM
Why has just about every referee in the history of the sport neglected to stop people using a clenched fist despite it being an illegal move.

Why isn't almost evry wrestler in jail for hitting another guy with a chair, sledge hammer, ring bell, bat etc etc

turdpower
March 20th, 2013, 4:28 PM
Yeah sorry. Do you mean because the person could stop themself or what? Could say that about loads of moves.

Most moves you could do to people with a bit of a strech. Irish whip requires the person receiving the move to carry on running for whatever reason.

JP
March 20th, 2013, 4:28 PM
How does an Irish whip work?

I've noticed an attempt recently to make them look more realistic, with the person performing the move grabbing the back of the head for control.

chatty
March 20th, 2013, 4:36 PM
Some moves just don't look like they hurt. The bggest example of a move that was massively over that doesn't look like it wuld really work unless it was on an eight stone female would be the stone cold stunner. Reaistically it wouldn't do shit.

Kdestiny
March 20th, 2013, 4:39 PM
It would do a hell of a lot more than Big Es finisher

chatty
March 20th, 2013, 4:46 PM
yeah thats a pretty weak move as well, as is the zigzag, rough rider etc.

Also the moves where they have people on their backs (AA, F5 etc) and walk around the ring with them for five minutes before hitting their finisher, just wouldn't happen.

Tainted Eclipse
March 20th, 2013, 4:48 PM
for the irish whip, i always imagined that the idea was that someone is flug with such force that the best chance they have to not hurt themselves is to just run with it. like, if they tried to stop themselves on a dime the force would just crash them into the mat, or if they tried to really stick out a leg to stop it they might injure their leg, ala Trips' quad or something, so the best bet is to go with it off the ropes and hope they're quick enough to counter whatever their opponent is hoping to hit on the rebound.

yeah still pretty suspect

turdpower
March 20th, 2013, 4:55 PM
Some moves just don't look like they hurt. The bggest example of a move that was massively over that doesn't look like it wuld really work unless it was on an eight stone female would be the stone cold stunner. Reaistically it wouldn't do shit.

With the stunner, I always wondered why he never did an obvious LOW BLOW on the first stage when there was no ref.

Cewsh
March 20th, 2013, 4:58 PM
Because then they'd fall down and he wouldn't be able to hit the Stunner part.

turdpower
March 20th, 2013, 5:01 PM
Well that's not true.

The Rogerer
March 20th, 2013, 5:01 PM
You need to get them groggy before you can hit the smackdown finisher. Everyone knows that.

Andy
March 20th, 2013, 5:25 PM
It would fucking hurt if you did have your chin slammed into a shoulder.

The problem with moves like the Rough Ryder, Fameasser, Zigzag is unless they're hit absolutely perfectly they look shit.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Big E's finisher in the word of wrestling. Powerful slam and the chest bein slammed down onto the shoulder looks like it should hurt.

chatty
March 20th, 2013, 5:29 PM
Sure it would hurt if someone slammed your head onto their shoulder full force but in the real world that just aint happening unless your either massively more powerful than them and I mean that in a huge capacity or they are already unconscious which takes the point away from a move all together.

I suppose you can say that for the majority of wrestling moves other than the moves that are actually holds.

chatty
March 20th, 2013, 5:30 PM
Another one would be if clenched fists are illegal, why is Big Show allowed his as his finisher and no one ever has a problem with it,

Mark Hammer
March 20th, 2013, 5:40 PM

Can you imagine giving someone a shove causing them to run endlessly while bouncing off stuff?

Cewsh
March 20th, 2013, 5:46 PM
The idea is supposed to be that you're dazed and the other guy flings you at the ropes which spring you back to him with extra speed so he can murder you. So guys going along with it might be playing possum, hoping to spring their move move to surprise the other guy, or just might be out of it with their body taking over.

DDT
March 20th, 2013, 5:57 PM
Another one would be if clenched fists are illegal, why is Big Show allowed his as his finisher and no one ever has a problem with it,

I remember Cole making fun of either Lawler or someone else when they cited that closed fists were illegal, and Cole was all, "lol wut iz dis, 1970?" So I guess they quietly abolished that rule. That in and of itself is stupid as hell, but at least Big Show is not breaking the rules.

Vice
March 20th, 2013, 6:01 PM
If there was ever a time when this was even slightly relevant to post, it is now.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/Envious_Vice/General%20wrestling%20GIFs/TornadoWhip2.gif

Mark Hammer
March 20th, 2013, 6:02 PM
Why are clenched fists illegal while kicks to the face are not?

Mark Hammer
March 20th, 2013, 6:03 PM
If there was ever a time when this was even slightly relevant to post, it is now.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/Envious_Vice/General%20wrestling%20GIFs/TornadoWhip2.gif

:lol: Jesus that is horrible. Why not just do the whip closer to the wall?

Cewsh
March 20th, 2013, 6:05 PM
It's a joke match.

Mark Hammer
March 20th, 2013, 6:07 PM
The idea is supposed to be that you're dazed and the other guy flings you at the ropes which spring you back to him with extra speed so he can murder you. So guys going along with it might be playing possum, hoping to spring their move move to surprise the other guy, or just might be out of it with their body taking over.

If someone is dazed and then shoved their legs are not going to kick into autopilot, they'll fall flat on their face.

It's a joke match.

Ah, it makes sense then. :yes:

chatty
March 20th, 2013, 6:08 PM
I remember Cole making fun of either Lawler or someone else when they cited that closed fists were illegal, and Cole was all, "lol wut iz dis, 1970?" So I guess they quietly abolished that rule. That in and of itself is stupid as hell, but at least Big Show is not breaking the rules.

I though that might be the case, I could just never recall them actually addressing it ever.

The Law
March 20th, 2013, 6:12 PM
Why aren't wrestlers held accountable for the crimes they commit? Looking past the basic chair shots and beatdowns that could be explained as wrestlers consenting to a certain amount of violence based on their profession, what about the kidnappings (Paul Bearer, Vince McMahon, Stephanie McMahon)? The attempted murders (Paul Bearer in the concrete crypt, Kane with Shane McMahon, Nexus with Bret Hart)?

How are there cameras in some of the places that there are cameras? When Austin kidnapped McMahon, why was there a camera crew in the room with them and why didn't they do anything about it? Why did Paul Bearer and Undertaker bring a camera crew to record them attempting to embalm Steve Austin alive? Why do wrestlers talk about secret plans with a camera recording them?

Why does a wrestler's music always play when he runs to the ring, even if he wasn't scheduled to be there? And the entrances have gotten so elaborate now that it isn't just music, it's flashing lights, entrance video, lighting cues.

Given that referees being knocked out is common problem in wrestling, why don't they always have referees on standby near the curtain backstage or just have a second referee waiting at ringside in case they are needed? Also, the second referee would catch cheating that occurs behind the first referee's back.

More of a lack of logic in rules, but why does one wrestler rolling back into the ring re-set the count for a count out? The rule is that you can't be outside the ring for more than ten seconds. What difference does it make if your opponent rolls back into the ring at nine? You've still been outside for nine seconds and if you're out for one more second, you are counted out. It also seems like they apply this rule very selectively. Sometimes a guy rolls back in at nine and it doesn't re-set the count. Instead, they just count to ten for the finish.

Why don't wrestling promoters book their main event in advance? It seems like there's never a main event for the show until one guy comes out to cut a promo at the start of the show and then another guy interrupts him. Then the GM comes out and announces the main event, which apparently wasn't scheduled until they were live on TV.

How does the slingshot work? Clearly, the guy being launched jumps. There's no other way it could work physically. Without cooperation, you would just fall flat on your face.

Why do wrestling shows end on time? Isn't it risky to start a match at 10:55 when you know you have to be off-air by 11:10? Why doesn't the main event ever run through their timeslot. This is much more egregious on Smackdown and the other taped shows where they always end right on time.

Why do wrestlers always introduce themselves during a promo? How many crappy heel promos have started "My name is..."? And why do they call each other by their full names. "Let me tell you something, Shawn Michaels."

Why is there no security at wrestling venues? Anyone can just walk in if they want to.

Other moves that make no sense: Christian jumping over the top rope and landing on the floor to slap his opponent in the face (No added force, risk of a knee injury by landing wrong). The 619 (why do they just sit there? And land in that position so much?).

Vice
March 20th, 2013, 6:13 PM
If someone is dazed and then shoved their legs are not going to kick into autopilot, they'll fall flat on their face.

Not that I agree with Cewsh here, but I would like to say that it is surprisingly difficult to actually cause someone to fall flat on their face. No matter how wobbly someone is, if you push them from behind, one of their legs is going forward to try and stop from falling. It's practically involuntary. The body does not want to fall.

Cewsh
March 20th, 2013, 6:17 PM
And for the record, that's just the logic behind it. I'm not saying it neccesarily makes sense.

Mark Hammer
March 20th, 2013, 6:32 PM
Back on the Stone Cold Stunner, why did it sometimes cause some people to go into convulsions?

Cewsh
March 20th, 2013, 6:34 PM
“Seizures may develop immediately after an injury to the brain or may develop in delayed fashion, showing up months or years after the initial trauma. Generally speaking, the risk of post traumatic seizures is related to the severity of the injury — the greater the injury, the higher the risk of developing seizures. Even mild to moderate injuries can result in seizures.

Beer-Belly
March 20th, 2013, 6:35 PM
I guess because it fucked up their throat, although that's still an odd way to sell it. There weren't nearly enough people who just collapsed and grabbed their throat.

Mark Hammer
March 20th, 2013, 6:37 PM
D-Von Dudley in particular used to regularly go into seizures after taking a big bump. If wrestling were real I'd be worried about his physical well-being.

QuoteTheRaven
March 20th, 2013, 6:40 PM
As a former college wrestler/current coach, pinning has always been an area I thought was stupid. To really keep a guys shoulders on the mat, you should scoop the head, be chest on chest, and be on your toes, not your knees. Chest to chest pressure keeps their backs to the mat. Maybe hooking the leg is a way to "stack" them on the mat, but you'd have to pull the leg wayyy harder than they do. Over the years I've noticed more guys doing "cradle" pins though, which look a lot more realistic to me.

I always saw the Irish whip as a concession of both guys. The guy doing the Irish whip flings him because of the potential to do more damage to a running opponent, while the other wrestler agrees to run because he thinks maybe it's a chance to turn the tide with his own move as well.

Mark Hammer
March 20th, 2013, 6:42 PM
Given that referees being knocked out is common problem in wrestling, why don't they always have referees on standby near the curtain backstage or just have a second referee waiting at ringside in case they are needed? Also, the second referee would catch cheating that occurs behind the first referee's back.

I've always thought it was dumb how rasslin referees tend to be scrawny little twerps. A referee's job is to enforce the rules amongst the competitors, surely a job that requires that kind of physicality should be filled by beefier refs?

Vice
March 20th, 2013, 6:47 PM
http://www.mmaweekly.com/wp-content/gallery/miscellaneous-photos-ufc-129/big-john-mccarthy-ufc-129-9188.jpg

:yesyes:

Mark Hammer
March 20th, 2013, 6:48 PM
Exactly. You aren't going to knock Big John out for ten minutes by accidentally running into him.

QuoteTheRaven
March 20th, 2013, 6:49 PM
Why don't heel champions just straight up try to get DQ'd every match? There's like 10 ways to get DQ'd without the other guy being able to stop it like hitting the ref, not letting go of the ropes, hell just leave the ring and sprint to the back. They'll never get you back before the 10 count.

Mark Hammer
March 20th, 2013, 6:54 PM
When somebody is apparently out from a sleeper hold why does the ref methodically raise his arm and drop it three times, turning to the bell keeper to specifically count each time, just to make sure he's asleep? In reality there is the potential for severe brain damage or death by allowing someone to be continually choked when they are already unconscious.

DDT
March 20th, 2013, 6:55 PM
The 619 (why do they just sit there? And land in that position so much?).

The idea is that they are being leg swept and landing throat first on a stiff cable. As (probably) one of the few people here who have legit been punched in the throat, I can assure you, you ain't moving for a while.

Why don't heel champions just straight up try to get DQ'd every match? There's like 10 ways to get DQ'd without the other guy being able to stop it like hitting the ref, not letting go of the ropes, hell just leave the ring and sprint to the back. They'll never get you back before the 10 count.

Pride in being the best, fear that too much and they'd be booked in things like cage matches, or "knowing" they'd be straight up stripped of the title.

QuoteTheRaven
March 20th, 2013, 6:58 PM
When somebody is apparently out from a sleeper hold why does the ref methodically raise his arm and drop it three times, turning to the bell keeper to specifically count each time, just to make sure he's asleep? In reality there is the potential for severe brain damage or death by allowing someone to be continually choked when they are already unconscious.

What is the exact choke rule anyway? You have to have the lock around the chin, but you can still choke them?

Cewsh
March 20th, 2013, 6:59 PM
Yeah, every time a heel does that the GM restarts the match or fucks them with a stipulation in the rematch.

maxxmisery
March 20th, 2013, 6:59 PM
Threads like this are why I joined this forum :yes:, amazing stuff here. (seriously, not being sarcastic)

Why is everyone backstage always standing? The GM in the office on the phone is always standing, before being confronted by whomever is going to interrupt the call during that segment. The jobbers you see in backstage segments in the background are always standing around and talking, rather than finding some chairs to sit in. No matter what, they are always standing, and that just seems uncomfortable to me.

Even in the parking lot, there are always people standing around during a brawl.

Beer-Belly
March 20th, 2013, 7:00 PM
A chin lock would still wear you down, especially if it's applied by a dude the size of a typical WWE wrestler.

Mark Hammer
March 20th, 2013, 7:06 PM
What is the exact choke rule anyway? You have to have the lock around the chin, but you can still choke them?

Why is it illegal to choke someone with an open hand but Sleeper Holds and Rear Naked Chokes are fair game?

Beer-Belly
March 20th, 2013, 7:07 PM
Rear Naked Chokes aren't fair game, I don't think.

Mark Hammer
March 20th, 2013, 7:08 PM
I don't know what's more entertaining, the questions being brought up or the attempts at legitimate answers being given.

Hammer gives this thread two thumbs up.

DDT
March 20th, 2013, 7:09 PM
Chokes that "block blood-flow" (Sleeper) are okay; chokes that block air-flow (rear naked) are nay. It's a stupid distinction, but that's the logic behind it.

Mark Hammer
March 20th, 2013, 7:10 PM
Rear Naked Chokes aren't fair game, I don't think.

Really? I was unaware of that.

They are perfectly legal in the N64 wrestling games. :cool:

QuoteTheRaven
March 20th, 2013, 7:12 PM
Really? I was unaware of that.

They are perfectly legal in the N64 wrestling games. :cool:

There was a point where the Big Show was getting rear naked choked every match.

Beer-Belly
March 20th, 2013, 7:13 PM
Tazz got away with it somehow, but I can't recall anyone else even attempting it.

The Law
March 20th, 2013, 7:15 PM
Blood chokes are legal. Air chokes are illegal. You can cut off the blood flow to the brain legally, but not stop them from breathing. The Sleeper Hold cuts off blood to the brain by squeezing the arteries, not cutting off someone's oxygen flow. Same goes for the Triangle Choke. The Gogoplata is an air choke and technically Undertaker shouldn't be allowed to use it (they actually addressed this by banning it in kayfabe).

Mark Hammer
March 20th, 2013, 7:15 PM
Since the object of winning a match is to get a three count, why do the really big guys ever have proper matches with the smaller guys? All they have to do is hold on real tight and lay on top.

Mark Hammer
March 20th, 2013, 7:16 PM
Tazz got away with it somehow, but I can't recall anyone else even attempting it.

Funny you should mention him, I almost did because I could have sworn the Tazmission was a RNC variation but I wasn't 100%.

chatty
March 20th, 2013, 7:25 PM
Why hasn't anyone moved the commentator booths yet.

Does Vince make every one of his employees sign up to a wrestling contract even though they have only been employed as say a commentator, manager etc with apparently no wrestling experience and then forces them into matches.

Surely they could get out of these matches based on the fact that they aren't wrestlers and are being forced against their will to wrestle.

Also surely a wrestler would have the right to turn down a stipulation match if they felt it was to dangerous - does each contract have a disclaimer saying that they cannot turn down matches that include steel cages, weapons, ladders etc etc

How come wrestlers back int he late 90s/early 00s could take a chair shot to the head without budging at times but would be practically incapacitated after being hosed with a fire extinguisher.

Why didn't Vince ban vehicles such as beer trucks, cement mixers, monster trucks from the arena when Austin was crushing his cars etc every other week. Also did the guy who was outside of the arena who lent Austin his Coors truck to go spray Vince and co get sacked - I can't see his boss being to thrilled with his work that night.

The way the mandible claw is set up to work, doesn't putting a sock over your hand kind of stop it from working properly?

Why does Undertaker and Kane always attempt to chokeslam the Big Show even though they have constantly failed to pull this manouever of? Also why do they always try to double choke slam eople even though they both know they can't do it as they use the other arm to do the move?

How would the peoples elbow even hurt?

Why did referees never say anythink to Tajiri when he sprayed green mist in his opponents faces even though they must have witnessed him do it a million times?

wardy
March 20th, 2013, 7:28 PM
How are there cameras in some of the places that there are cameras? When Austin kidnapped McMahon, why was there a camera crew in the room with them and why didn't they do anything about it? Why did Paul Bearer and Undertaker bring a camera crew to record them attempting to embalm Steve Austin alive? Why do wrestlers talk about secret plans with a camera recording them?
Depending on the situation, they either want to be seen or it's a secret camera set up by production to try and catch something interesting.

Why does a wrestler's music always play when he runs to the ring, even if he wasn't scheduled to be there? And the entrances have gotten so elaborate now that it isn't just music, it's flashing lights, entrance video, lighting cues.
They go to the production guys first and either ask or demand them to play it for them.

mth
March 20th, 2013, 7:29 PM
Pretty sure the ref was always distracted when Tajiri did the mist. And Kane and Taker have both successfully chokeslammed Big Show (Taker put him through the ring).

chatty
March 20th, 2013, 7:32 PM
OK then how come wrestlers don't get suspended when they are caught on camera blatently breaking the rules whether that be spitting mist in someones face or hitting them with a sledge hammer.

Come to think of it, how come no one has died after being hit in the head by a sledgie from a twenty stone power lifter.

Judas Iscariot
March 20th, 2013, 7:36 PM
How would the peoples elbow even hurt?

When The Rock delivers the elbow, note that he runs between the ropes, leaping over the opponent. This begins to stir the opponent ever so slightly and he begins to breathe more deeply. Where one would think Rock would immediately deliver the elbow, note how he shakes his leg. This is done to set up the perfect moment when the Rock delivers the elbow with such velocity to the diaphragm that the wrestler is left completely spent of oxygen, thus effectively making the wrestler pass out and unable to kick out.

Vice
March 20th, 2013, 7:44 PM
One of Samoa Joe's finishers is a straight up rear naked choke, which is legal in TNA. Rear naked chokes cut off the blood, so why shouldn't they be legal when sleepers are? I mean really, the only difference is basically that the rear naked choke has the dude's other forearm behind the neck, as opposed to it just being on the dude's head in a sleeper. Same shit.

And speaking of the rear naked choke, and chokes in general, I absolutely despise when the ref does the 3 arm drop thing with them. Like Mark Hammer mentioned, if it was actually applied correctly and the dude was unconscious for like 10 seconds while the ref counted to three, he'd sustain a fair bit of brain damage. Second, if you are being choked out and have no blood to the brain, you are not going to miraculously keep your arm from dropping that third time, get a burst of energy and fight your way to the ropes while still in the hold. I would CONSIDER it if the person applying the hold began loosening up during the count to make sure the guy wasn't dead, and that gave the other person enough blood to regain consciousness.. but that's never the case. Or at least never touched upon by the commentary.

kangus
March 20th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Chokes that "block blood-flow" (Sleeper) are okay; chokes that block air-flow (rear naked) are nay. It's a stupid distinction, but that's the logic behind it.

Actually if executed properly the RNC usually is, in fact, a blood choke. Once you have the front arm around the neck with the inside of the elbow nestled right around the trachea, you squeeze down, in and up. This does two things, it cuts off blood supply from the carotid arteries at the side of the neck and actually perserves the trachea (which is a good thing if you're constantly practicing it in training with a partner). Certainly there are variations to the RNC which directly attack airflow via the trachea but these are less common because a blood choke is simply more effective in that even if the victim doesn't tap they'll be unconscious very soon after application due something about the ol' noggin needing oxygenated blood.

DDT
March 21st, 2013, 12:12 AM
http://sighroll.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/themoreyouknow.jpg

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::beer ::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:: beer::beer::beer::beer::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::y es::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

McBain
March 21st, 2013, 12:22 AM
When The Rock delivers the elbow, note that he runs between the ropes, leaping over the opponent. This begins to stir the opponent ever so slightly and he begins to breathe more deeply. Where one would think Rock would immediately deliver the elbow, note how he shakes his leg. This is done to set up the perfect moment when the Rock delivers the elbow with such velocity to the diaphragm that the wrestler is left completely spent of oxygen, thus effectively making the wrestler pass out and unable to kick out.

:lol::yes:

Judas Iscariot
March 21st, 2013, 1:18 AM
OK then how come wrestlers don't get suspended when they are caught on camera blatently breaking the rules whether that be spitting mist in someones face or hitting them with a sledge hammer.

Come to think of it, how come no one has died after being hit in the head by a sledgie from a twenty stone power lifter.

Wrestlers don't get suspended when they are caught on camera breaking the rules for the same reason that if an umpire blows a call at first base, there is no replay system as that would take the human element out of the equation. Wrestling is one of the last pure sports in that element and has not gone down the road of replay to make sure that it is as authentic now as when the Greeks invented it some 17,500 years ago. While it can certainly be frustrating in some instances, it is a tradition that hearkens back millenia. It should really be celebrated.

As for no one dying when they're hit with a sledgehammer in the head, you have to take into account the superior training and nutrition that professional wrestlers pride themselves in. You know how an athlete who gets punched in the stomach may not even flinch because of how developed the muscles of the abdomen are? Wrestlers spend a significant amount of time shaping and toning their levator labii superioris alaeque nasi, occipito-frontalis, zygomaticus minor and several other muscles in the head in the same way so that they protect the cranium better.

Speaking of the bones in the head, wrestlers consume calcium at a level that a layman couldn't dream of, through years of gradually increasing the amount consumed. You know how people vomit after drinking a gallon of milk? Records show Fatu of the Headshrinkers once consumed the entire milk case of his local Stop n Shop without so much as a burp and wanted more.

I hope this helped.

Morrison
March 21st, 2013, 1:46 AM

i loved that stretch of time where randy orton was facing cena and found ways to lose on purpose like straight up slapping the ref. there was another one, but i forget what it was.

Sparky
March 21st, 2013, 1:54 AM
At face value? Okay, here goes...

Kane can light people and ring posts on fire. Magic? Why doesn't he use this in a match, ever.
When people show up unexpectedly, why does their music still play?
Touching the ropes is illegal, how do people get away with setting up top rope moves and superplexes for so long.
What does grabbing the tights actually do in a pin?
Why do wrestlers have such courtesy to remove anything dangerous from the announcer table before slamming someone through it.
In ladder matches, why has a wrestler never just gotten his buddies to hold someone down on their behalf?
What move is Ric Flair going for off of the top rope?

And, I've never understoon the theory behind cage matches. You can get rewarded for...successfully running away? It's odd how such a flawed concept from the start became so integrained in wrestlings history, that its just accepted.

QuoteTheRaven
March 21st, 2013, 2:18 AM
i loved that stretch of time where randy orton was facing cena and found ways to lose on purpose like straight up slapping the ref. there was another one, but i forget what it was.

Seems like something heel HHH would do at some point. Not totally sure, but he went through an "abuse the ref" phase

Matthew
March 21st, 2013, 2:26 AM

Kane can light people and ring posts on fire. Magic? Why doesn't he use this in a match, ever. because setting people on fire is not a legal move

What does grabbing the tights actually do in a pin? leverage. actually, this isn't even an unreasonable thing. seems pretty obvious

Why do wrestlers have such courtesy to remove anything dangerous from the announcer table before slamming someone through it. whatever they destroy comes out of their payday.

What move is Ric Flair going for off of the top rope? double axe handle. he has hit it before

Fanny
March 21st, 2013, 2:26 AM
how come all the birds are thick as fucking pig shit?

QuoteTheRaven
March 21st, 2013, 2:28 AM

Kane can light people and ring posts on fire. Magic? Why doesn't he use this in a match, ever.
Touching the ropes is illegal, how do people get away with setting up top rope moves and superplexes for so long.
Why do wrestlers have such courtesy to remove anything dangerous from the announcer table before slamming someone through it.
In ladder matches, why has a wrestler never just gotten his buddies to hold someone down on their behalf?

And, I've never understoon the theory behind cage matches. You can get rewarded for...successfully running away? It's odd how such a flawed concept from the start became so integrained in wrestlings history, that its just accepted.

It took him 25+ years to hit that double axe handle.

Why would a wrestler set up a chair in the corner and Irish whip someone into it? Seems like an awful big risk when you could save the time setting the chair up and just smash them in the face with it instead. That's some Wile-E-Coyote shit right there.

Why would a downed wrestler not listen to the crowd when his opponent is setting up his big finisher (Sheamus, Shawn Michaels) and then move out of the way? For the love of God, the crowd is even chanting "BROGUE" rhythmically.

Matthew
March 21st, 2013, 2:31 AM
cause they are women

zinggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Judas Iscariot
March 21st, 2013, 2:39 AM

[quote]Kane can light people and ring posts on fire. Magic? Why doesn't he use this in a match, ever.

As everyone knows, the ring itself is made of highly lacquered plywood, covered by a flammable canvas. While the arenas allow for pyrotechnics and the setting of people on fire backstage where fire extinguishers are readily available off-camera, the WWE's request for Kane to use his abilities in this manner in the ring resulted in the arenas demanding the ring be surrounded by firefighters. Feeling that this would kill the immersion of the audience, the WWE backed off of the request. Incensed by the fact that he was not allowed to express his freedom, Kane is now a Libertarian and Ron Paul supporter.

WWE is a cutting edge high tech company. The backstage curtains are in fact equipped with DNA-sensing body scanners that automatically play said superstars music when they pass through, to help with the live crowd reaction.

Everyone gets a five count. Because the crowd is so loud, the ref makes sure the wrestlers hear what number he's at before he moves on to the next one.

Grabbing the tights gives grip and leverage, further pinning the opponent's body to the mat.

There is a stipulation in every competitor's contract that simply states, "You break it, you buy it." This does not apply to tables as all of WWE's tables are manufactured from 100% recyclable materials.

It's no secret that professional wrestlers tend to be very superstitious. Much like Wade Boggs had to eat a bucket of fried chicken before every baseball game, professional wrestlers believe that holding someone down on behalf of a friend is tantamount to walking underneath a latter. Superstition or fact? That's not for me to decide.

In the documentary, "Too Be the Best, You've Gotta Wooooo! The Best," it's shown that during his NWA years Ric Flair was in fact the inventor of a 450 splash into a swanton bomb into a flip piledriver combination. This was, of course, not only was it deemed too dangerous by WWE, but seeing as they now own the library, all footage of the documentary and the move itself have been destroyed so as not to encourage other wrestlers from utilizing it. Any effort to post the footage on youtube has not only seen the accounts deleted, but the owners of those accounts account for 1/4 of all missing persons cases in the United States.

Cage matches are derived from events at the Coliseum in Rome as written about in The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by English historian Edward Gibbon, first published in 1776. Unfortunately all subsequent editions erased the passage that spans from pp 367-374 which detail the event. They have, however, been called the new Dead Sea Scrolls should they be found.

I hope this all helped.

Judas Iscariot
March 21st, 2013, 2:45 AM

cause they are women

no zing

thats why

Beer-Belly
March 21st, 2013, 2:50 AM
As everyone knows, the ring itself is made of highly lacquered plywood, covered by a flammable canvas. While the arenas allow for pyrotechnics and the setting of people on fire backstage where fire extinguishers are readily available off-camera, the WWE's request for Kane to use his abilities in this manner in the ring resulted in the arenas demanding the ring be surrounded by firefighters. Feeling that this would kill the immersion of the audience, the WWE backed off of the request. Incensed by the fact that he was not allowed to express his freedom, Kane is now a Libertarian and Ron Paul supporter.Remember when Kane set that stagehand ablaze in like '97? He didn't just do that to be a dick, the guy was a union member and Kane was sending a message to those bastards.

McBain
March 21st, 2013, 3:08 AM
Why would a wrestler set up a chair in the corner and Irish whip someone into it? Seems like an awful big risk when you could save the time setting the chair up and just smash them in the face with it instead.

More so, Irish Whips are probably the most absurd thing anyway. "I guide your running in that direction so you can't stop running". Surely if someone was fucked then they'd simply crash to the floor instead of running.

Judas Iscariot
March 21st, 2013, 3:28 AM
More so, Irish Whips are probably the most absurd thing anyway. "I guide your running in that direction so you can't stop running". Surely if someone was fucked then they'd simply crash to the floor instead of running.

I believe that his was sort of covered before, but I'd like to explain it beyond the usual responses of, "The idea is..." or, "The guy thinks he might..." as if it's choreographed or something.

That's hodge podge.

I think it's safe to say that all of us at some point or another have been shoved or pushed by another human being. Did we flop onto the floor?

No. We didn't.

We continued moving forward as our legs carried us in that direction so that we could maintain our balance. We kept on moving, similar to how when one runs at full speed they can't simply stop on a dime. They have to slow down. That's how a normal person reacts in that situation.

But consider this. You've been backed into a corner and received chops to the chest that would make a normal man, not a professional wrestler, faint. Your flesh is raw, all your mind can think about is the pain. A similarly trained athlete, knowing this, uses his strength and leverage to then GRAB YOU and SHOVE YOU with the PSI of a lion clamping down on a gazelle.

It's the same exact thing. That playful shove has been magnetized by the force. Instead of you simply stumbling, your legs are propelled to try to maintain your balance. And you would, of course. Except the ring is 20' by 20'.

Note that those who are Irish Whipped into a corner hit the corner with maximum force. Those who hit the incredibly elastic ropes are propelled back into the direction from which they came.

This is simple physics, people, it's not complicated.

McBain
March 21st, 2013, 3:37 AM
Yeah if this thread is proper old I've probably mentioned it before.

Your argument is nowhere near as convincing as your People's Elbow one though...

kangus
March 21st, 2013, 3:37 AM
What do wrestlers do when they're not wrestling, on their off days? Like what do you think The Undertaker is doing RIGHT NOW?

Judas Iscariot
March 21st, 2013, 3:38 AM
What do wrestlers do when they're not wrestling, on their off days? Like what do you think The Undertaker is doing RIGHT NOW?

Banging Michelle McCool.

McBain
March 21st, 2013, 3:43 AM
They probably take ice baths, pop pills and hobble around.

QuoteTheRaven
March 21st, 2013, 3:47 AM
I believe that his was sort of covered before, but I'd like to explain it beyond the usual responses of, "The idea is..." or, "The guy thinks he might..." as if it's choreographed or something.

That's hodge podge.

I think it's safe to say that all of us at some point or another have been shoved or pushed by another human being. Did we flop onto the floor?

No. We didn't.

We continued moving forward as our legs carried us in that direction so that we could maintain our balance. We kept on moving, similar to how when one runs at full speed they can't simply stop on a dime. They have to slow down. That's how a normal person reacts in that situation.

But consider this. You've been backed into a corner and received chops to the chest that would make a normal man, not a professional wrestler, faint. Your flesh is raw, all your mind can think about is the pain. A similarly trained athlete, knowing this, uses his strength and leverage to then GRAB YOU and SHOVE YOU with the PSI of a lion clamping down on a gazelle.

It's the same exact thing. That playful shove has been magnetized by the force. Instead of you simply stumbling, your legs are propelled to try to maintain your balance. And you would, of course. Except the ring is 20' by 20'.

Note that those who are Irish Whipped into a corner hit the corner with maximum force. Those who hit the incredibly elastic ropes are propelled back into the direction from which they came.

This is simple physics, people, it's not complicated.

Then why do even the most raw-chested pummel bitches seem to be able to reverse Irish whips at random? I can understand being shoved, but reversing it to make the other guy run? Mindfreak?

kangus
March 21st, 2013, 4:13 AM
Banging Michelle McCool.

I just imagine her reading a book in bed when all of a sudden *lights go out* *GONG* *lights go back up* and naked Undertaker is lying next to her ready for sex.

son_of_foley
March 21st, 2013, 5:57 AM
I just imagine her reading a book in bed

Try and keep it realistic Kangus

kangus
March 21st, 2013, 6:06 AM
aahahahhaah I was thinking about that while posting it. FINE, she's in bed pondering whether or not vegetarians can eat animal crackers.

Badger
March 21st, 2013, 9:44 AM
Does Kane ignite the bedposts before sex?

Jacknife
March 21st, 2013, 9:47 AM
Only when he climaxes.

JP
March 21st, 2013, 9:56 AM

I fucking love you.

Sinner
March 21st, 2013, 10:45 AM
fuckin' magnets, how do they work?

DDT
March 21st, 2013, 11:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1CIeaHs-R90

Jacknife
March 21st, 2013, 11:25 AM
I take it at heel value.

Badger
March 21st, 2013, 1:35 PM
Why is the People's Elhow enough to finish Punk off yet Sandow can't put Ryder away with Co E To Aquiet? (Elhow of Disdain)

Badger
March 21st, 2013, 1:37 PM
Also goes for Ziggler and his 10 elbow drops.

turdpower
March 21st, 2013, 2:11 PM
I want to inflict as much pain on you as possible so I'm going to put you through the announce table.

Better take out those big monitors first though.

Excel
March 21st, 2013, 2:49 PM
aahahahhaah I was thinking about that while posting it. FINE, she's in bed pondering whether or not vegetarians can eat animal crackers.
Wasnt she a school teacher before she became a diva? Oh... Wait...

Vice
March 21st, 2013, 2:55 PM
I want to inflict as much pain on you as possible so I'm going to put you through the announce table.

Better take out those big monitors first though.

Ahaha. Reminds me of Triple H vs. Nash in the hell in a cell match. Triple H picks up a tool box, empties out all the screwdrivers, wrenches, hammers, clamps, etc., then bonks Nash in the head with the flimsy empty tool box.

Chris
March 21st, 2013, 3:17 PM
Why do the wrestlers lack an awareness of what's going on during a live show? We'll see wrestlers concocting a scheme for a later match, and their opponents are blissfully unaware of the dastardly plan despite the fact that it's been broadcast live to millions of people. When Shawn Michaels had his drink spiked by Stephanie McMahon, was there not a single friend or family member watching at home who could have texted him to tell him what happened? Was there not a wrestler watching the show backstage who could have gone to him and said "You're fucked - get to the hospital". When Batista secretly listened in on Triple H and Ric Flair's admission that they were trying to get him out of the World Title picture, wasn't there anyone who have could told them "Don't go to the ring with Batista - he knows about the plan and he'll probably try to beat the shit out of you"?

Jacknife
March 21st, 2013, 3:29 PM
why do guys always roll into perfect position for a frog splash or swanton bomb?

Vice
March 21st, 2013, 3:33 PM
Wrestlers also have no idea what happened to them during a show until next week when someone presents them with a video package.

Cewsh
March 21st, 2013, 3:45 PM
Why do the wrestlers lack an awareness of what's going on during a live show? We'll see wrestlers concocting a scheme for a later match, and their opponents are blissfully unaware of the dastardly plan despite the fact that it's been broadcast live to millions of people. When Shawn Michaels had his drink spiked by Stephanie McMahon, was there not a single friend or family member watching at home who could have texted him to tell him what happened? Was there not a wrestler watching the show backstage who could have gone to him and said "You're fucked - get to the hospital". When Batista secretly listened in on Triple H and Ric Flair's admission that they were trying to get him out of the World Title picture, wasn't there anyone who have could told them "Don't go to the ring with Batista - he knows about the plan and he'll probably try to beat the shit out of you"?

Well in the latter case, why would anyone try to help the two most hated assholes in the company?

Chris
March 21st, 2013, 4:36 PM
Doing a favour for a World Champion and a legend could have its advantages for someone's career.

Beer-Belly
March 21st, 2013, 4:42 PM
When did Stephanie spike HBK's drink? I don't remember that.

The Law
March 21st, 2013, 4:45 PM
When did Stephanie spike HBK's drink? I don't remember that.

It was while Vince was feuding with Shawn in 2006. Stephanie spiked his drink, he passed out in the ring, and the next week Vince made him take a drug test in the ring. And then Michaels threw a cup full of apple juice on Vince.

Which reminds me that it would have been a legendary wrestling rib if Shawn had actually pissed in the cup and thrown it on Vince. Shades of the time Perfect took a shit under the ring when all the NWO guys had to hide under there for all of Nitro.

Chris
March 21st, 2013, 4:46 PM
It was during his feud with Vince and Shane McMahon in the first half of 2006.

Whoops - Law beat me to it.

JP
March 21st, 2013, 4:48 PM
It was while Vince was feuding with Shawn in 2006. Stephanie spiked his drink, he passed out in the ring, and the next week Vince made him take a drug test in the ring. And then Michaels threw a cup full of apple juice on Vince.

Which reminds me that it would have been a legendary wrestling rib if Shawn had actually pissed in the cup and thrown it on Vince. Shades of the time Perfect took a shit under the ring when all the NWO guys had to hide under there for all of Nitro.

Oh what is this Henning brilliance?

Simmo Fortyone
March 21st, 2013, 5:20 PM
Do you think they sit backstage and watch the telly until their music gets played and "welp guess it's my turn"? No. They are preparing for their match - getting dressed, tanned up, oiled up, made up. Doing some stretches to warm up. Listening to "Now You're A Man" (aka theme from Orgazmo) to get fired up. Staring at themselves in the mirror to get in the zone. All that shit takes time. Time that can't be wasted with silly distractions like checking your phone or seeing what others are up to. These dudes are serious athletes.

Chris
March 21st, 2013, 5:33 PM
Do you think they sit backstage and watch the telly until their music gets played and "welp guess it's my turn"? No. They are preparing for their match - getting dressed, tanned up, oiled up, made up. Doing some stretches to warm up. Listening to "Now You're A Man" (aka theme from Orgazmo) to get fired up. Staring at themselves in the mirror to get in the zone. All that shit takes time. Time that can't be wasted with silly distractions like checking your phone or seeing what others are up to. These dudes are serious athletes.
The vast majority of these serious athletes seem to be standing around chatting in groups of roughly 3 - 5 people on a lot of shows. They don't even try to avoid the cameraman as he's following someone down the corridor. And some of the biggest stars in the attitude era were notoriously late for some shows. Rock showed up for Backlash 2000 after the opening match, as opposed to training at the arena all day. No wonder he needed Austin to help him win. I submit that there's a serious lack of discipline in the WWE locker-room. Though Vince sets a bad example for the talent, since he tends to arrive in his limo while a show is well underway. He probably doesn't even give a rough ETA, so some poor sod with a camera has to wait around for ages in the parking garage to capture his immediate arrival.

Torn
March 21st, 2013, 6:48 PM
Why does hitting someone on the back break up a pin every time? If the opponent is out and the ref is already on the way to counting three, and they guy with their body over the downed guy gets smashed in the back, they have been pressed into their opponent and usually they are still covering the opponent who still has their shoulders down for a three count. But it never gets counted.

Also and more importantly why does no one just walk out the bloody cage door when they can!?

The Rogerer
March 21st, 2013, 7:03 PM
It counts as an interruption to the pin, kind of like a rope break.

The cage door is ridiculous.

turdpower
March 21st, 2013, 7:04 PM
Why are ladders so difficult to climb?

Simmo Fortyone
March 21st, 2013, 7:06 PM
Why does hitting someone on the back break up a pin every time? If the opponent is out and the ref is already on the way to counting three, and they guy with their body over the downed guy gets smashed in the back, they have been pressed into their opponent and usually they are still covering the opponent who still has their shoulders down for a three count. But it never gets counted.
You can't have someone assist you with a pin. And there can't be grey areas to make judgement calls on, so any contact by a third party counts as "assisting" and therefore ends the pin attempts.

Simmo Fortyone
March 21st, 2013, 7:08 PM
Why are ladders so difficult to climb?
Fatigue. Plus difficulty in balancing a flimsy ladder when the climber is heavy.

chatty
March 21st, 2013, 7:08 PM
is there a rule where the wrestlers have to start the cage match on the canvas. Can the first person in not climb to the top ready to jump of when the bell rings?

Torn
March 21st, 2013, 7:18 PM
You can't have someone assist you with a pin. And there can't be grey areas to make judgement calls on, so any contact by a third party counts as "assisting" and therefore ends the pin attempts.

What about that match that one time where Matt Hardy and Lita helped Jeff pin Big Show?

turdpower
March 21st, 2013, 7:24 PM
And when Undertaker and Kane pinned Austin.

Torn
March 21st, 2013, 7:27 PM
Considering the amount of foul play involved in the majority of wrestling matches, why hasn't the WWE followed the lead of many sporting leagues in implenting a video review system. Not so fast, Dolph Ziggler, upon appeal the third umpire has seen you pull those tights. The WWE needs DRS.

Atty
March 21st, 2013, 7:42 PM
Video review would be brilliant. Then some day they go to review a heel's win and the video is different than what we just saw...

Ochoa
March 21st, 2013, 7:52 PM
Why are there no timeouts in pro wrestling? Better use for a commercial break than an opponent being down?

The Law
March 21st, 2013, 8:13 PM
Oh what is this Henning brilliance?

Several guys (I know Hennig, Warrior, and Scott Norton were among them) had to hide under the ring for a long time during a Nitro. They were all going to do an angle for the main event where they appeared from out of nowhere to attack someone. So at some point Hennig drops his tights and takes a huge shit in a bucket they had left under the ring. Word is that Warrior puked it smelled so bad. Norton said that everyone was pissed at Hennig and planning to kick his ass, so when the angle went down Hennig immediately just booked it for the lockerroom where he had a car waiting.

Hennig is definitely a first ballot hall of famer in the Ribs Hall of Fame. Owen Hart too. And the guys who took a shit in King's crown (I've heard the Klique, I've heard Taker, bunch of different people).

_me
March 21st, 2013, 9:45 PM

this was always my number 1 wrestling-logic pet peeve. especially when they had a manager outside who proved they would cheat to win (megaphone, salt, cane, etc). I think this would have been a perfect gimmick for heel Punk keeping his title or trying to beat the streak next month.

The Law
March 21st, 2013, 10:46 PM
Also, if someone is in a match where if the champion is disqualified they lose their title, why don't they just have a friend or manager attack them so they can win by DQ? This is understandable when a face doesn't do it out of honor. But what about when it was Christian vs. Orton, or Jericho vs. Punk, or Orton vs. Triple H and the heel challenger could have won the title if the face was disqualified? All of them should have just had someone run in and jump them as soon as the match started.

darkhorse
March 22nd, 2013, 2:19 AM
What are the terms and conditions listed on the contracts that appear during a match's contract signing?

virms
March 22nd, 2013, 3:25 AM
Everything Judas has typed here is 100% true. Except for Kangus is a wonderful human being. However, no one would ever type that so there is nothing to worry about.

turdpower
March 22nd, 2013, 3:59 AM
Also, if someone is in a match where if the champion is disqualified they lose their title, why don't they just have a friend or manager attack them so they can win by DQ? This is understandable when a face doesn't do it out of honor. But what about when it was Christian vs. Orton, or Jericho vs. Punk, or Orton vs. Triple H and the heel challenger could have won the title if the face was disqualified? All of them should have just had someone run in and jump them as soon as the match started.

Agreed, this is why I suspected the Shield would attack Punk at EC.

Torn
May 20th, 2013, 3:43 PM
Considering the amount of foul play involved in the majority of wrestling matches, why hasn't the WWE followed the lead of many sporting leagues in implenting a video review system. Not so fast, Dolph Ziggler, upon appeal the third umpire has seen you pull those tights. The WWE needs DRS.

They've been reading :cool: