View Full Version : Name their best match number 3: Undertaker

Badger
March 20th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Apologies for stealing Andy's thunder.

For me, the HITC against Michaels.

Hotbeef-Injection
March 20th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Wrestlemania 25 against Michaels.

The man himself has said HBK has 3 of his top 5 matches (it could be argued all 3). Other opponents. I liked his matches with Batista - rare chemistry. Against Bret and Brock too.

Jacknife
March 20th, 2013, 12:57 PM
vs. Mankind Boiler Room Brawl Summerlsam 96

turdpower
March 20th, 2013, 1:06 PM
This is thread 4 ffs.

stylepoints
March 20th, 2013, 1:08 PM
the Smackdown match between Angle and Taker that Brock ruined by doing a run in is my favorite SD match of all time. I hate to say Brock ruined it. Kind of fitting that match ended in a no contest. I like this one better than both WM matches with Shawn.

Tainted Eclipse
March 20th, 2013, 2:00 PM
had a feeling this guy would be coming up pretty soon. need to rewatch the michaels matches although i doubt either of them will end up my answer. i remember really really liking one of his 2008 matches with big show.

i rewatched the michaels hitc over the summer and thought it was flat out bad, and had no idea what anyone could see in it but nostalgia.

edit: oh yeah the brock hitc is almost definitely the answer to this. should rewatch though.

Andy
March 20th, 2013, 2:29 PM
I'd probably have six of his Mania matches in my top 10. Michaels x 2, Trips x 3 and vs Edge.

Kneeneighbor
March 20th, 2013, 2:41 PM
His manina matches against Mable and Giant Gonzalez!

Chris
March 20th, 2013, 2:50 PM
vs Angle at No Way Out 2006, vs Bret at Summerslam 1997 and vs Batista at Wrestlemania 23 are all worthy of mention.

His work with Shawn MIchaels and Triple H is hard to see past. Let's face it, the man is still putting on classics in the twilight of his career. The Hell in a Cell with Michaels will always be a big one, but it would be quite easy to argue that an Undertaker match from the past 5 years is his very best. And that's pretty incredible if you ask me.

The Law
March 20th, 2013, 2:56 PM
Hell in a Cell against Michaels. I would say Taker worked four five-star matches in his career: The Cell, the two Michaels matches at Wrestlemania, and King of the Ring 1998 against Foley. In all cases, the lesson is that Taker is great at dishing out punishment and his best matches are against someone who can take a real beating.

My personal favorite match is No Way Out 2006 against Angle. I just loved the big fight feel, the counters, and the submissions. It just felt like a totally different form of wrestling compared to what we normally see in WWE. He and Angle always worked well together. Someone already mentioned the 2002 Smackdown match and they had a few other good TV matches over the years.

Batista is another guy he had great chemistry with. The Wrestlemania 23 match is one of the all-time pleasant surprises. I don't think anyone expected that match to be good, and it ended up being great. Their other matches were also quite good. I think their matches were so good because Batista was one of the few guys who was both strong enough to throw him around and also athletic enough to move with him. They also tended to do some special stuff in their matches-Batista going to the top rope, some extra force on their slams. It always felt like they were having their raise their respective games to beat each other.

I would say my least favorite opponent of his would be Austin. I liked their Summerslam 1998 match, but they fought literally another ten times on PPV over the years and I never felt like the matches delivered.

I definitely feel like the best run of his career was 2007 to 2010. Basically from the time he got into shape in preparation for Wrestlemania 23 up until the run against Kane in 2010. I felt like this was the period of his career where he was working the hardest, in the best shape, and had altered his style to add in submissions and other MMA-type stuff.

I also want to mention the Hell in a Cell matches against Lesnar and Triple H and the Triple H match from Wrestlemania 27. All excellent work.

Excel
March 20th, 2013, 3:04 PM
May not be his best but often gets forgotten. His ladder match with Jeff Hardy. Someone must feel that was his best. Certainly was one of the best he'd had around that time and against a midcarder.

Andy
March 20th, 2013, 3:08 PM
The HIAC against Foley is certainly one of the most memorable matches of all time but that was all down to Foley and it wasn't exactly a classic match in the traditional sense.

chatty
March 20th, 2013, 3:22 PM
Tough one.

I would say these are his best matches:

V Brock - No Mercy 02
V Michaels - Bad Blood 97
V Mankind - KOTR 98
V Angle - Smackdown
V Angle - No Way Out 06
V Bret - Summerslam 97
V HHH - WM27
V HHH - WM 17
V Michaels - WM 26
V HHH - WM 28
V Michaels - RR 98
V Edge - One Night Stand 08
V Show - Cyber Sunday 08
V Edge - WM 24
V Edge - Summerslam 08
V Angle v Rock - Vengeance 03
V Hardy - Raw

chatty
March 20th, 2013, 3:24 PM
Actually his matches orton, batista and flair at mania were all pretty decent as well.

Mills
March 20th, 2013, 3:30 PM
I say his last match with Michaels was my favorite, but mine is biased from being there live. In reality, I loved his HIAC match with Edge at Summerslam or vs Lesnar at No Mercy.

The mankind HIAC match has its moments but it is in no way a 5 star match

JP
March 20th, 2013, 3:37 PM
No, but his KotR 1996 match against Mankind might just be, always overlooked classic.

Tainted Eclipse
March 20th, 2013, 3:38 PM
man the cell match with brock is pretty great, probably the best match undertaker was involved in, but im a little hesitant to call it "best undertaker match" just because brock was pretty clearly the better performer.

Andy
March 20th, 2013, 3:57 PM
Mania 26 against Michaels for me.

Defrost
March 20th, 2013, 5:25 PM
Said it before will say it again. That first Hell in a Cell is the best match in the history of that promotion.

Beer-Belly
March 20th, 2013, 6:27 PM
I prefer the Austin/Hart I Quit match, but it's still amazing.

Kdestiny
March 20th, 2013, 6:30 PM
Easily WM 25, but I also loved his WM matches with Edge and Batista

Beer-Belly
March 21st, 2013, 12:01 AM
After thinking about it, I have to go with the match at Wrestlemania 25. I was there live and almost had a series of heart attacks. Even the few dodgy spots were great.

Their Hell in a Cell match was phenomenal, but Kane costing Taker the match hurts it a tad when you watch it out of context.

Sparky
March 21st, 2013, 1:16 AM
I just want to put out some love for the Edge and Batista matches at Wrestlemania.

Edge vs. Undertaker - TLC was another good one.

My favorite is most likely the first HIAC.

Shame that I actually had to struggle to think of a good Taker vs. Kane match, as thats my all time favorite feud.

Badger
March 21st, 2013, 4:15 AM
Best one for me was their first at Mania 14.