PDA

View Full Version : Name their best match. Number 2: Edge

Andy
March 18th, 2013, 5:29 AM
A lot of Edge's singles run was going on at the same time I took a long hiatus from wrestling so this one will be helpful for me. Hopefully I find a few gems I haven't seen before.

I really enjoyed his two big matches against Undertaker at Mania 24 and the HIAC at No Mercy 2008. His Mania match with Jericho at 26 is good, as is he match with Foley at Mania 22. Come to think of it he was a bit of a Mr Wrestlemania himself, wasn't he? Great matches at 16 and 17 in the triple threat tag matches, plus 21, 22, 24, 25 and 26.

I also remember him having a really good TLC match with Cena at some point and a really good fatal four way with Orton, Cena and Michaels (Backlash?).

So what do I need to catch up on to see the best of Edge?

Vice
March 18th, 2013, 5:43 AM
vs. Cena, last man standing. Backlash 2009.

Chris
March 18th, 2013, 6:45 AM
The no disqualification match on Smackdown with Eddie Guerrero in late 2002 comes immediately to mind.

Also, his Summerslam 2001 opener with Lance Storm and his match with RVD at Vengeance 2006 are worth checking out.

The street fight with Shawn Michaels on Raw in early 2005 also tends to get a lot of praise.

Mills
March 18th, 2013, 6:49 AM
Im a bit of an edge head so...

No dq vs Eddie Guerrero Smackdown
Cage Match vs. Kurt Angle Smackdown
The 3 Tlc tag matches
his street fights w/ HBK on Raw
His run W/ Taker from WM 24 to Summerslam

chatty
March 18th, 2013, 9:32 AM
TLC II for me and by a fair bit. I was never really a fan of Edge tbh and during the Cena/Orton/Edge years I didn't watch too much so I've probably missed a lot of his best matches.

ECDUB
March 18th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Certainly worth a mention and off the top of my head my favorite Edge match,

IC Title: Edge vs. Randy Orton Vengeance 2004

Peter Griffin
March 18th, 2013, 10:46 AM
He had a pretty good run with Angle in 02, Also in the latter part of 02 he was involved in several good tag/multiple man matches involving him,Rey,Angle,Benoit,Eddie and Chavo, the triple threat tag match at Survivor series being a highlight.

Had a good ladder match with Flair. A couple of good matches with Taker, Several with Cena. Some good matches with HBK in 05, And thats just the tip of the iceberg, he had loads of great matches. Miss the guy as a performer.

chatty
March 18th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Another quality set of matches he had was with Rey Mysterio as his tag partner against Los Guerreros and Angle/Benoit.

McBain
March 18th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Like others, I missed his best run by the looks, but huge fan of TLC II, and the Smackdown Six matches.

I know when he retired there was a thread to find his best match, and I was planning on working through a list to catch up on the guy, but I don't think it was ever finished unfortunately.

Cewsh
March 18th, 2013, 10:59 AM
vs. Cena, last man standing. Backlash 2009.

:yes:

I came in here to say that same thing.

Peter Griffin
March 18th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Another quality set of matches he had was with Rey Mysterio as his tag partner against Los Guerreros and Angle/Benoit.

:squint:

chatty
March 18th, 2013, 11:07 AM
:squint:

I'd been out the room for a while so when I came back on I hadn't seen you had all ready posted it mate.

Peter Griffin
March 18th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Ha its all good. You know another good match? the T.I.T finals at no mercy 99.

Andy
March 18th, 2013, 12:27 PM
I remember the tag match at Royal Rumble 01 against the Dudleyz being really good, although that might have been as much the hit crowd as anything else. Will need to go back and watch that.

Jacknife
March 18th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Was that the Royal Rumble at MSG?

Peter Griffin
March 18th, 2013, 12:47 PM
If it was that was in the year 2000 wasnt it?

OD50
March 18th, 2013, 1:16 PM
2001 was in New Orleans I believe.

Not really a fan of Edge but he has been in some really good matches. Will have to think about it.. :chin:

The Law
March 18th, 2013, 1:29 PM
I'll split this into tag and singles matches:

Singles: Street Fight vs Eddie Guerrero (Smackdown 2002), vs. Kurt Angle (Backlash 2002), Last Man Standing vs. Cena (Backlash 2009), vs. Undertaker (Wrestlemania 24)

Tag: w/Christian vs. Hardys (No Mercy 1999), w/Christian vs. Hardys and Dudleys (Wrestlemania 2000, Summerslam 2000, Wrestlemania 17), w/Mysterio vs. Angle and Benoit

I'd say the tag match from No Mercy 2002 is my favorite. Maybe the best straight up tag team match I've ever seen, and they did have to break any tables or jump off any ladders to do it.

Lesser known stuff: vs. Owen Hart (Breakdown 1998), vs. Benoit (Smackdown 2007), vs. Randy Orton (Raw April 2007), vs. w/Christian vs. Hardys (No Way Out 2000)

Also, my favorite Edge theme was "Never Gonna Stop." But I also love the Altar Bridge song.

Hero!
March 18th, 2013, 2:19 PM
I need to watch his matches with Cena again, 'cause I know they were hella great, but I can't remember which one I liked best. I remember their TLC being brilliant.

The Edge that sticks out most in my mind, though, would have to be his match with Taker at Mania. What a FANTASTIC match.

Andy
March 18th, 2013, 2:54 PM
TheRumble at MSG in 2000 had the Dudleyz vs Hardyz in a tables match I believe, 2001 was E&C vs Dudleys in a normal match.

Brian M.
March 18th, 2013, 6:43 PM
The Backlash LMS with Cena and Wrestlemania match with Taker are definitely his defining matches. But really he never had a bad match with either of those guys. I also love his matches with Cena at Summerslam '06 and the TLC match at Unforgiven a month after that. They had a few really good TV matches too. As someone mentioned, his entire run with Taker in 2008 was fucking brilliant.

Edge is one of those guys when I break him down as a performer, I'm not wholly impressed. Then I look at his laundry list of amazing matches and I'm like, "Oh...well I'm probably wrong." You can't have that many great performances and not be a great wrestler, as far as I'm concerned.

Kdestiny
March 18th, 2013, 7:07 PM
Edge and his WM match with Taker was great and all, but I have always had a soft spot for TLCII.

ReDPath
March 18th, 2013, 7:13 PM
Definitely his TLC matches.

Just a shame he lost SOOOO much steam once Lita walked out the door. He never really regained it either with Vickie, etc.

He never was as hot as a heel as he was when the Hardy drama was mixed into the fold.

Kdestiny
March 18th, 2013, 7:20 PM
Shame he had to retire so soon. He could've had some quality stuff during Punks lengthy reign

Defrost
March 18th, 2013, 7:35 PM
I got a tie. His Mania match with Taker. Crowd was dead and just wanted to go home and this match got us back somehow. And Vengeance 2006 against RVD.

Peter Griffin
March 18th, 2013, 7:41 PM
When you say dead do you mean worn out? I seem to remember that being a pretty good show if you take out the Kane/chavo and divas stuff.

Vice
March 18th, 2013, 7:42 PM
The crowd had zeeeeeeero energy when the match started, and for a fair bit through the match. But they did a lot of great work, and by the end of it, the crowd was pretty damn insane.

Defrost
March 18th, 2013, 7:58 PM
When you say dead do you mean worn out? I seem to remember that being a pretty good show if you take out the Kane/chavo and divas stuff.

Yeah, I loved that show, but when Edge vs Taker started I just wanted Taker to Tombstone him so I could back to the apartment and go to bed

Peter Griffin
March 18th, 2013, 8:01 PM
Fair play, I can see how it would get tiring being constantly involved for 4 hours.

The Rick
March 18th, 2013, 8:10 PM
The crowd had zeeeeeeero energy when the match started, and for a fair bit through the match. But they did a lot of great work, and by the end of it, the crowd was pretty damn insane.

yep. I think they should have swapped the Divas match for the Floyd Big Show match. The crowd was pretty into the match, and after Shawn v. Flair, Orton v HHH v Cena, and Floyd v. Show no wonder the crowd was out of energy. The show was excellent but there needed to be a buffer match before the Edge Taker match, or as many of us think, Flair and Shawn should have gone on last.

I'm a huge fan of the tag TLC matches, but I don't think I would put them up as Edge's best. They are great matches that he is in, but not his best. I would put the No Mercy ladder match with the Hardys there though.

These, I feel, are some of his best singles matches.
-Cena v Edge (TLC) Unforgiven
-Cena v Edge SummerSlam
-Edge v Kurt Angle (Hair vs Hair) Judgement Day
-Edge v Ric Flair (TLC) Raw
-Edge v Shawn (Street Fight) Raw
-Edge v Eddie (Street Fight) Smackdown
-Edge V Undertaker Wrestlemania {despite the dead crowd}
-Edge v Undertaker SummerSlam

stylepoints
March 18th, 2013, 8:38 PM
The no disqualification match on Smackdown with Eddie Guerrero in late 2002 comes immediately to mind.

I thought I'd have to bring this one up. If you don't think this was the best singles match of Edge's career then you need to watch this match again. I'd say it's one of the best SD matches ever. Not the best but definitely top 10, maybe top 5.

Tainted Eclipse
March 19th, 2013, 3:39 PM
I watched the Cena LMS match and didn't really care for it. The first couple minutes actually felt like the start of a really good regular one on one match. But too much time during the bulk of the match revolved around long counts for moves that didn't really feel like a big deal, and really disrupted the flow of the match and it got kinda boring at time. A couple cool spots though, the FU into the crowd was neat, and a decent ending. Meh.

The 2005 cage match with Hardy was pretty good.