PDA

View Full Version : Face or Heel

chatty
March 16th, 2013, 3:36 PM
Simple as choosing which guys you liked best in what role: Face or heel.

Lets start with a group of guys and once it runs dry we can move onto others so:

Hulk Hogan
Shawn Michaels
John Cena
Mick Foley
Big Show
Chris Jericho
Jake The Snake Roberts
The Rock
The Undertaker
Steve Austin
Randy Savage

chatty
March 16th, 2013, 3:38 PM
For me:

Hulk Hogan - Face
Shawn Michaels - Face
John Cena - Heel (but he's be so stale as a face for so long its hard not to go the otherway)
Mick Foley - Heel
Big Show - Face
Chris Jericho - Heel
Jake The Snake Roberts - Heel
The Rock - Heel
The Undertaker - Face
Steve Austin - Face
Randy Savage - Heel

QuoteTheRaven
March 16th, 2013, 3:41 PM
Hulk Hogan - Face
Shawn Michaels - Heel
John Cena - Face
Mick Foley - Heel
Big Show - heel
Chris Jericho - heel
Jake The Snake Roberts - heel
The Rock - face
The Undertaker -face
Steve Austin - face, although his heel work was impressive
Randy Savage - face

Vice
March 16th, 2013, 3:49 PM
Hulk Hogan - Heel
Shawn Michaels - Face
John Cena - Heel
Mick Foley - Face
Big Show - Heel
Chris Jericho - Heel
Jake The Snake Roberts - Honestly haven't seen enough of him
The Rock - Heel
The Undertaker - Face
Steve Austin - Face
Randy Savage - Face

stylepoints
March 16th, 2013, 5:04 PM
Hogan- heel
Shawn - heel
Cena - face
Foley - heel
Big show - face
Jericho - face
Jake - face
Rock - face
Taker - heel
Austin - heel. Stunning Steve!
Savage - heel

I'm gonna purpose we put Luger on the next list as he had an amazing career as both.

The Law
March 16th, 2013, 5:19 PM
Hulk Hogan-Face. His heel run was a nice change of pace, but his face run was the most successful in wrestling history.

Shawn Michaels-Heel. Face Michaels was also a bit bland as a character.

John Cena-Face. He made a great face until they removed all the things that people liked about him.

Mick Foley-Heel. Broken down face Mick paled in comparison to the sadistic heel Cactus Jack, the tortured soul Mankind, or anti-Hardcore Cactus/Foley.

Big Show-Heel. He just doesn't really work as a face. He's too much bigger than everyone else he fights. Unfortunately they tend to have him lose all the time as a heel.

Chris Jericho-Heel. Either whiny WCW Jericho or suit-wearing Jericho.

Jake The Snake Roberts-Heel. Just a natural villain.

The Rock-Heel. Hollywood Rock was so much fun as a heel.

The Undertaker-Face. He's the kind of guy that no one really wants to boo.

Steve Austin-Face. His heel run had some nice moments, but he couldn't actually get people to boo him.

Randy Savage-Heel.

stylepoints
March 16th, 2013, 5:28 PM
I'm the only one who liked Taker better as a heel? I loved his first few years when he was putting people in bodybags. The way he came in is how I'll remember him when he's gone from wrestling.

lotjx
March 16th, 2013, 5:35 PM
Hulk Hogan-Face. Hulkamania lives forever.

Shawn Michaels-Heel. Crackhead Shawn is still the best Shawn.

John Cena-Heel. His face is so bland while his heel was very exciting for the short time, he was heel.

Mick Foley -Face. His first title win, is still one of my favorite moments.

Big Show-Heel. His WCW run as a heel was really good and I thought when he is booked as a monster, he is does it very well. Again when they do it well.

Chris Jericho-Face. As much as I love evil Jericho, I just can't stop cheering for him.

Jake The Snake Roberts-Heel. He has a snake. Nuff said.

The Rock-Face. I know the IWC loves his fun heel, but when he was the face of the WWE, he was the man. Maybe Austin or Hogan did it better, maybe. Even when he is heel, people want to cheer him.

The Undertaker-Heel. I love Ministry Taker, I also love a Taker that is full on dark side. Now, that we have to deal with the streak, he has to be face. When he was bad, he was the Darth Vader of the WWE in all the good ways.

Steve Austin-Face. I mean come on. Glass Crashing and Pop go hand in hand. Zamboni, mother fuckers, Zamboni.

Randy Savage-Face. I liked Savage more than I did Hogan. He had the title, the moves and the girl. Who is booing this guy?

Cewsh
March 16th, 2013, 5:37 PM
Hulk Hogan - Heel
Shawn Michaels - Heel
John Cena - Face
Mick Foley - Heel
Big Show - Heel
Chris Jericho - Heel
The Rock - Heel
The Undertaker - Heel
Steve Austin - Heel
Randy Savage - Heel

Man, I'm not a "cheer the heels" kind of guy, but good god.

Tainted Eclipse
March 16th, 2013, 6:40 PM
Hulk Hogan - Heel. His NWO character and a promos were fantastic.

Shawn Michaels - Definitely a more entertaining character as a heel. I don't think there's a terrible difference in his ring work between both roles.

John Cena - Face. More interesting character as a heel, but plays promotion ace very very well and works great as top face in the ring. Would be very interested to see his ring-work as a heel at this stage in his career though.

Mick Foley - Face.

Big Show - Heel.

Chris Jericho - Heel.

Jake The Snake Roberts - Heel.

The Rock - Heel, his character is just off the charts as a heel. Check out his promo after winning the title at SS98, the crowd showers his with out of control heat and he carries it so well.

The Undertaker - Face. My favorite phase of Taker by far has been his post-active status as legend, and it's where where his best work has come from too.

Steve Austin - Face. Pretty fantastic heel but man, watching some old RAW you really see how off the charts over he was, and how much he deserved to be.

Randy Savage - Heel. Better character as a heel, and I like his ring work more too. His high flying stuff as a heel has such a cool crazy, dangerous feel to it.

One Man Gang
March 16th, 2013, 6:40 PM
Hulk Hogan - Face
Shawn Michaels - Heel
John Cena - Heel
Mick Foley - Face
Big Show - Heel
Chris Jericho - Heel
The Rock - Heel
The Undertaker - Face
Steve Austin - Face
Randy Savage - Face

Rip
March 16th, 2013, 8:00 PM
Hulk Hogan - Face - I remember Hogan from when I was a kid, to me he's always been about the red and yellow
Shawn Michaels - Heel - I like DX, but as a face he always ends up as the semi useless pathetic tit
John Cena - Face, he just is, sorry get over it
Mick Foley - Heel Cactus :yes:
Big Show - Face, when he's allowed to be himself
Chris Jericho - Oooh... either... Heel, he's funnier.
Jake The Snake Roberts - Heel, again, it's a childhood thing
The Rock - Heel, his cocky ott style just sits better as a heel
The Undertaker - Face, he's the phenom, you should be allowed to get behind him
Steve Austin - Hmm, at his best he's a tweener heel, so I guess heel
Randy Savage - Face, greatest moment in wrestling from my childhood was watching his wedding with my Dad.

Kneeneighbor
March 16th, 2013, 8:38 PM
Hulk Hogan- Face
Shawn Michaels- Heel
John Cena- Face
Mick Foley- Heel
Big Show- Heel
Chris Jericho- Heel
Jake The Snake Roberts- Heel
The Rock- Heel
The Undertaker= Heel
Steve Austin- Face
Randy Savage - Heel

I have tended to lean towards heels most of my life.

Spoonman
March 16th, 2013, 9:26 PM
Personally, I think that most of the top guys are better heels as most of their characters originated as heels. Jericho, Austin, The Rock, Taker, Foley, Trips. . . They all had their longest most successful runs as babyfaces but their whole schtick began as heels. Hence why most of these guys are what i would call "natural heels".

There are some guys who are natural babyfaces: Bret Hart, Cena, Sammartino, Backlund, but I'd say that a hell of a lot of performers are better as heels. It's just that it usually takes a babyface turn for them to draw real money.

leinz
March 19th, 2013, 3:37 AM
Hulk Hogan Face, probably the best face in the history of the industry during his heyday
Shawn Michaels Heel, his time as a face seemed forced except during his first title run
John Cena Face, hard to argue with his drawing power in the top face position
Mick Foley Face, this is a tough one because he was good at both
Big Show Heel, should be booked as a monster heel giant
Chris Jericho Heel, great mic work and seemed to bring the best in everyone
Jake The Snake Roberts Face, easy to get behind a guy who brings a huge live snake to the ring
The Rock Heel, thinking Rock circa 98-99 was one of the best heel runs ever
The Undertaker Face, hard to think of anyone wanting to root against the Deadman
Steve Austin Face, however his original heel WWE run during the early days of the Bret fued was excellent and forgotten
Randy Savage Heel, another guy who could go either way the company needed. I prefer his work as a heel though

Jacknife
March 19th, 2013, 3:40 PM
Hulk Hogan - Never cared for either, never liked Hogan, but face Hogan was more bearable than heel.

Shawn Michaels - Definitely his first singles run as a heel. Loved his turn on Jannetty.

John Cena - Face, he's just a great guy.

Mick Foley - Heel Mankind was one of my favorites.

Big Show - Heel, should be destroying people left and right.

Chris Jericho - Equal on both, both are fantastic work.

Jake Roberts - His early 90s heel work with the Undertaker, Ultimate Warrior was just superb.

The Rock - Like Hogan just don't care for the guy, but heel work was better.

The Undertaker - Definitely heel. Early 90s Undertaker and Ministry Taker are my favorites.

Steve Austin - Heel, especially in his early days as Stone Cold, though the Invasion run was memorable too.

Randy Savage - Definitely face.

MMH
March 19th, 2013, 5:52 PM
I'm the only one who liked Taker better as a heel? I loved his first few years when he was putting people in bodybags. The way he came in is how I'll remember him when he's gone from wrestling.

Yeah me but not for the same era. I actually loved what was probably regarded as Takers worst era when he was Big Evil. I thought he was excellent at being a complete prick.

Cewsh
March 19th, 2013, 5:54 PM
Same here. That was by far my favorite run of Taker's.

stylepoints
March 19th, 2013, 6:30 PM
Booger Red as J.R. called him. It's kind of a shame he had such mic skillz and never used him since. Sure he was the best person to play UT but it sucks to waste such a good talker.

Tempest
March 19th, 2013, 6:37 PM
Hulk Hogan - Heel
Shawn Michaels - Heel
John Cena - Heel
Mick Foley - Heel
Big Show - Tweener
Chris Jericho - Heel
The Rock - Face
The Undertaker - Face
Steve Austin - Face
Randy Savage - Heel

Excel
March 19th, 2013, 7:29 PM

Big Evil and the leader of the Ministry were my two favourite incarnations. Taker is great as a heel.

Mark Hammer
March 19th, 2013, 7:33 PM
The Rock was a phenomenal heel. So great in the roll that fans fell in love with him and they were forced to turn him face.

His 2003 heel run was spectacular but didn't last nearly long enough. Loved all his mannerisms, from the change in attire (out of the ring) to how he'd pat himself on the back and sarcastically give himself a round of applause after a suplex.

Excel
March 19th, 2013, 7:36 PM
I miss 98 heel rocky with the ridiculous shirts and awesome sideburns. The Rock who didn't yell his way through promos, and was a sanctimonious prick and revelled in being so. Who knew the fans hated him but acted like they loved him.

Mark Hammer
March 19th, 2013, 7:39 PM
I miss 98 heel rocky with the ridiculous shirts and awesome sideburns. The Rock who didn't yell his way through promos, and was a sanctimonious prick and revelled in being so. Who knew the fans hated him but acted like they loved him.

Agreed. I'll never forget the first time they teased a face turn, fans wanted it so bad, and then BAM allies with the Corporation. I was about 14 at the time and I HATED him for a while after that.

Excel
March 19th, 2013, 8:00 PM
They tripled his heat in one move with that. it was perfect. Get the fans to think he is finally going to turn face, and smack them so hard with a heel turn that the guy gets over as the other major face of the company.

McBain
March 19th, 2013, 8:34 PM
I missed heel Rocky for the most part, but from the footage I've seen it was awesome. Shame I missed out.

I also loved the Big Evil Taker days. :yes:

Bluegunn
March 22nd, 2013, 4:42 PM
Hulk Hogan: Face - Hulkamania will not die
Shawn Michaels - Face - Early heel was nice, but his best work was as a face.
John Cena - Heel - Face character is getting old quick, and his heel had a better underdog gimmick.
Mick Foley - Dude Love - Face, Mankind - Heel, Cactus Jack - Heel. Just Foley - Face
Big Show - Face - As soon as the hair left, he is just made as a face. Especially with his Chameleon gimmick.
Chris Jericho - Face - I like his funnier jokes
Jake The Snake Roberts - Face - His better matches were as faces.
The Rock - Heel - Loved to hate the guy.
The Undertaker - Undead - Face, Booger Red - Heel. The Biker look was made for a heel character.
Steve Austin - Heel, His character is just made for heel.
Randy Savage - Heel, you never could trust Savage.

Bluegunn
March 22nd, 2013, 4:58 PM

I hope you don't really mean that.
You would remember:
Kane as a Dentist
Raven as a Quebecer
Justin Credable as Aldo Montoya
Al Snow as a Japanese wrestler
And Ryback as a pushover

chatty
March 22nd, 2013, 7:14 PM
Ok next ten:

Bret Hart
CM Punk
Ric Flair
Lex Luger
Scott Hall
Roddy Piper
Goldust
Kurt Angle
The Natural Disasters
Demolition

Kneeneighbor
March 23rd, 2013, 12:52 AM
Bret Hart Face
CM Punk Heel
Ric Flair Heel
Lex Luger Face
Scott Hall Face
Roddy Piper Heel
Goldust Heel
Kurt Angle Face
The Natural Disasters Heel
Demolition Heel

The Law
March 23rd, 2013, 1:02 AM
Bret Hart-Face. He was a good heel in 1997, but his heart wasn't really in being a bad guy. His heel runs in WCW were pretty bad.
CM Punk-Heel. His face character just hasn't really worked in WWE. Straight Edge was too dull and the 2011-2012 rebel face was such a shell of what he was at the beginning of Summer of Punk II. His heel runs (Straight Edge Moralizer, Straight Edge Society Messiah, New Nexus Leader, and current "respect" character) have been much more interesting and entertaining. He does struggle a bit to get people to boo him, but he generally finds a way.
Ric Flair-Heel. Just his natural role. Hasn't been able to get people to boo him for about 20 years now though.
Lex Luger-Heel. Guy was too much of a dick to cheer.
Scott Hall-Face. Didn't get to play it much, but he had so much charisma that people wanted to cheer him.
Roddy Piper-Heel. His natural role. Guy was so hatable back in the day. They booked him perfectly, too: no one ever got their hands on him.
Goldust-Heel. The original character was tremendous.
Kurt Angle-Generally more entertaining as a heel, but he never really got any heat after 2003 or so. He just couldn't get people to boo him. Would have had to tone back his performance in the ring to do it.
The Natural Disasters-Heels. Guys this big aren't meant to be cheered.
Demolition-Heels

Mills
March 23rd, 2013, 2:19 AM
Bret Hart= Face. As over as he was as a heel, he carried WWE through some dark times as their #1 face.

CM Punk=Heel. I always felt that Punk is more himself as a heel. His heel runs were more memorable and he pulled off feuds with just about everyone.

Ric Flair=Heel. He was the heel of the 80's, making believable title contenders out of everyone from Lex Luger and Sting to Hawk and Ricky Morton.

Lex Luger= Heel. This is a preference, but he seemed to be more comfortable. I remember his run with Race in the early 90's well rather then his Lex Express run.

Scott Hall= Face. This is weird, but follow me. Hall was rarely a heel in NWO, being the fan favorite in the NWO and never trying to get boos, but cheers. Isn't that being a face?

Roddy Piper= Heel. I never connected with Piper as a face, he seemed to be the best heel in the first half of the 80's

Goldust= Heel. His heel run in 96 could've led to a world title run if they had continued to push the card. Rhodes seemed a lor more into his character during its heel runs.

Kurt Angle=Heel. Come on, they had to remix his theme song so they couldn't chant you suck during his face runs. Kurt was a great goofy heel and killer heel too. Great all around talent, but a fantastic heel.

The Natural Disasters= heel. They shouldve always been a heel team, they were beasts with no discernable mic skills to speak of.

Demolition= Face. I loved these guys as faces. chasing the colossal connection, feuding with the POP, just fun characters.

Bluegunn
March 23rd, 2013, 3:08 AM
Bret Hart - Heel, his anti-America character was great.
CM Punk - Heel, straight edge gimmick got boring quick
Ric Flair - Heel, he is the dirtiest player for a reason
Lex Luger - Heel, that bolt in his arm made for a great heel gimmick
Scott Hall - Face, Razor gimmick was great.
Roddy Piper - Heel, he was like a non-technical Ric Flair
Goldust - Face, always going to remember him more for his Natural Dustin Rhodes. His heel work not as fun.
Kurt Angle - Face, He is an American Hero.
The Natural Disasters - Heel, Face run was very forgettable
Demolition - Heel, Their look and gimmick just fit.