PDA

View Full Version : Kick Ass 2

Hero!
March 13th, 2013, 5:23 PM
Trailer is ONLINE:

http://www.mtv.com/videos/movie-trailers/887615/kick-ass-2.jhtml#id=1703507

Well, I'm STOKED. Fucking loved the first one and this one looks like it's gonna have a bunch of awesome new characters.

VHS
March 13th, 2013, 6:12 PM
Kick Ass to me was just... ok. But this looks tremendous. :)

Kick Ass got buff.

Beer-Belly
March 13th, 2013, 6:37 PM
Tremendous? That's a bit overkill, don't you think? Jim Carrey's involvement is interesting, but other than that, it looks juvenile and hackneyed. I literally grimaced at some of that dialogue.

The tonal shifts of the first one really annoyed me. If you're going to do a batshit cartoonishly violent movie then go for it, but don't try and pull a 180 in the third act and expect me to take it seriously.

Jimmy Zero
March 13th, 2013, 8:59 PM
No, it looks pretty tremendous.

Matty C
March 14th, 2013, 9:21 AM
I was just ok with Kickass as well. My wife loved it though so I assume we'll end up seeing this. Cage was the best part of the first one for me and I assume he's not going to be back.

VanillaJello
March 14th, 2013, 10:14 AM
I was just ok with Kickass as well. My wife loved it though so I assume we'll end up seeing this. Cage was the best part of the first one for me and I assume he's not going to be back.

Well... I don't really see how he could have survived being burnt alive... but I suppose stranger things have happened.

The_Mike
June 24th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Jim Carrey, star of Kick-Ass 2, has withdrawn support for the film following the Sandy Hook massacre.

Carrey tweeted on Sunday: "I did Kickass a month b4 Sandy Hook and now in all good conscience I cannot support that level of violence.

"My apologies to others involved with the film. I am not ashamed of it but recent events have caused a change in my heart," he added.

It's not out until August and Sandy Hook happened in December, so I'm not sure why he picked June to suddenly make this announcement. I sympathise with his position on gun control but I had thought he was more sensible than to act like violence in an R-rated comic book movie is going to cause somebody to take an assault rifle to school. Violence in the media is not the issue, and it's not as if shooting sprees weren't happening on a frequent basis before December 2012. Nothing changed with Sandy Hook, and that simply compounds the tragedy.

Anyway, looking forward to the sequel, saw the first one on a whim and it was surprisingly entertaining. Hit Girl being much taller kind of seems to change the dynamic of the character, but probably better to stick with a very good original actor rather than recast the part.

Peter Griffin
June 24th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Violence in the media is not the issue
According to the chairman of the NRA that's exactly the issue :rolleyes:

Gary J
June 24th, 2013, 2:25 PM
The comic was fucking awful so not holding out much hope for this. I'll probably watch this at some point but for a change i'll actually want a change from the books.

Beer-Belly
June 24th, 2013, 2:27 PM
Let's not pretend that Carrey isn't completely full of shit.

Fanny
June 24th, 2013, 2:37 PM
he's so unbelievably full of hippie faux spiritual bullshit that it makes me sad when I think of all of his films that I love. He's a complete fucking moron with his flavour-of-the-month points of view and inane fucking Twitter ramblings and catchphrases.

I liked Kickass and will be seeing this on DVD when it comes out :yes:

TimeSplitter
June 24th, 2013, 3:47 PM
Any reason to believe this is just to avoid doing press for the movie? The timing seems odd...

Jimmy Zero
June 24th, 2013, 8:01 PM
Jim Carrey is such a bitch. I wish he'd just completely fuck off, at this point.

Beer-Belly
June 25th, 2013, 3:31 AM
It's a shame; I idolized Carrey as a child, but now I pity him. I believe he's struggled with mental illness throughout his life and I think it might be getting worse with age.

lotjx
June 25th, 2013, 9:21 AM
Kick Ass is just a bad comic and a bad movie all around. Trying to say "Hey comics are full of shit." Then have a huge epic battle at the end thus proving to some degree comics aren't bullshit. Its a very uneven story and seems to go for the violence and gore when there is zero story to tell.

Atty
June 25th, 2013, 10:06 AM
I don't begrudge Jim at all for this this reaction. He filmed the movie just before the school shooting, and right after filming an elementary school was shot up. I don't blame him one bit for his reservations on a movie with kids shooting people up and villains who want to kill kids. Saying this now is very smart on his part and it gives him an out if the movie gets bad press in an ongoing national debate.

Fanny
June 25th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Because that's why you should hold a point of view, to give you an 'out' in case people agree with you.

Mik
June 25th, 2013, 1:56 PM
I don't begrudge Jim at all for this this reaction. He filmed the movie just before the school shooting, and right after filming an elementary school was shot up. I don't blame him one bit for his reservations on a movie with kids shooting people up and villains who want to kill kids. Saying this now is very smart on his part and it gives him an out if the movie gets bad press in an ongoing national debate.

Nonsense. Its not like this is the first school shooting there's been and he didnt read the script before he got it. This just makes him look stupid.

VHS
June 25th, 2013, 2:10 PM
Because he is stupid. He dated Cameron Diaz.

lotjx
June 25th, 2013, 3:36 PM
Because he is stupid. He dated Cameron Diaz.

To be fair, Cameron Diaz from the Mask was one of the hottest piece of ass in the 90s. Now, not so much.

Atty
June 25th, 2013, 3:54 PM
Nonsense. Its not like this is the first school shooting there's been and he didnt read the script before he got it. This just makes him look stupid.

Yeah and this one was debated constantly over the American media for months, creating an incredibly divisive debate, including parties that blame Hollywood. And while it's not the first shooting, it was a kindergarten class being murdered. That could definitely cause a man some pause immediately after he films a movie where he sees a connection.

Jimmy Zero
June 25th, 2013, 6:23 PM
Honestly, if that's what it took for his little epiphany, and not the multitude of other shootings (whether they were in elementary schools, high schools, on college campuses, in a mall, in a movie theater, or in the inner city (which, as a Chicagoan, I can safely say people STILL don't give much of a shit about)) that happened before a school of upper middle class white children was shot up, than he's an even bigger idiot than I originally thought.

Morrison
June 25th, 2013, 6:48 PM
Honestly, if that's what it took for his little epiphany, and not the multitude of other shootings (whether they were in elementary schools, high schools, on college campuses, in a mall, in a movie theater, or in the inner city (which, as a Chicagoan, I can safely say people STILL don't give much of a shit about)) that happened before a school of upper middle class white children was shot up, than he's an even bigger idiot than I originally thought.

maybe it wasn't an epiphany. maybe it was the straw that broke the camels back. beyond that, he's never really been in action films with lots of gunplay and violence, so he probably felt more personally connected to the debate as such.

Jimmy Zero
June 25th, 2013, 9:16 PM
Then why do the movie, knowing full well before agreeing to it what the subject matter entails, in the first place? Using what happened at Sandy Hook as the reason that he can't support KA2 seems totally disingenuous, imo.

Beer-Belly
June 26th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Not to mention he's a HUGE fan of the original Kick Ass movie, going as far as to dress up as the title character for Conan O'Brien's tour a few years back.

Also, he's a part of the anti-vaccination crowd, so he clearly doesn't care that much about the lives of children.

Atty
June 26th, 2013, 4:36 PM
Also, he's a part of the anti-vaccination crowd, so he clearly doesn't care that much about the lives of children.

And that's crazier than anything he said.

Beer-Belly
June 26th, 2013, 5:19 PM
How so? The anti-vaccination crowd are worse than stupid, they're dangerous.

I can't believe anybody is falling for this idiot's bullshit. I hope he gives back the money back he made from this movie or donates it to charity.

Jimmy Zero
June 26th, 2013, 6:20 PM
I could be wrong, but I thought he did an about face on the vaccination stuff.

Beer-Belly
June 26th, 2013, 8:05 PM
I haven't heard about him reneging on the anti-vaccination thing. If he did, that would further prove that he's a hypocrite. "Vaccinations cause autism? Nah, that's just something I said while I was dating my ex-girlfriend."

VHS
June 26th, 2013, 8:27 PM
If he's so against the violence in Kick-Ass 2, then he should give his earnings to Sandy Hook charities. This kind of news makes me roll my eyes, I can only imagine how fumed Wadlow is over this shlock. Hasn't directed a movie in 5 years and now he has to put up with this.

Atty
June 26th, 2013, 11:07 PM
How so? The anti-vaccination crowd are worse than stupid, they're dangerous.

And you're using something he's wrong about to say that he doesn't care whether children live or die.

Judas Iscariot
June 27th, 2013, 2:48 AM
Separate thread needed for the absurdity of every healthy person who is not very very young or very very old lining up to get flu vaccines while they douse their bodies in Purel and antibacterial soap.

Please note that I believe that vaccinations have done a world of good with diseases that needed to be eradicated, but it reaches a point where it's like, "Ok, listen, like really, it's the sniffles and you're proliferating the reproduction of resistant bacteria and ever changing viruses that makes things worse."

Judas Iscariot
June 27th, 2013, 2:49 AM
BTW The Truman Show is one of my favorite movies ever.

The Rogerer
June 27th, 2013, 7:41 AM
Separate thread needed for the absurdity of every healthy person who is not very very young or very very old lining up to get flu vaccines while they douse their bodies in Purel and antibacterial soap.

Please note that I believe that vaccinations have done a world of good with diseases that needed to be eradicated, but it reaches a point where it's like, "Ok, listen, like really, it's the sniffles and you're proliferating the reproduction of resistant bacteria and ever changing viruses that makes things worse."Absolutely nothing to do with the anti-vaccine movement, really.

I can understand where Carrey is coming from, a little bit, even if his logic appears completely backwards. I enjoyed Kick Ass, but it was a strange film, very adolescent in a way that it didn't really believe in anything, there was just a lot of wanton death.

Bill Casey
June 28th, 2013, 9:05 PM
I haven't heard about him reneging on the anti-vaccination thing. If he did, that would further prove that he's a hypocrite. "Vaccinations cause autism? Nah, that's just something I said while I was dating my ex-girlfriend."

Changing your opinion on something =\= hypocrite...

Fanny
June 29th, 2013, 2:45 AM

Please note that I believe that vaccinations have done a world of good with diseases that needed to be eradicated, but it reaches a point where it's like, "Ok, listen, like really, it's the sniffles and you're proliferating the reproduction of resistant bacteria and ever changing viruses that makes things worse."

I think you might have vaccinations and anti-biotics mixed up here

virms
June 29th, 2013, 2:56 AM
He has 1st cousins and regular people mixed up so this is not a surprise.

Beer-Belly
June 29th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Changing your opinion on something =\= hypocrite...

No, but you wouldn't think twice about trusting a guy who immediately changes his opinion on something the minute he gets out of a relationship?

Morrison
June 29th, 2013, 5:59 PM
No, but you wouldn't think twice about trusting a guy who immediately changes his opinion on something the minute he gets out of a relationship?

i wouldn't pretend to know the personal nature of his adoption of the opinion and his possible change in that opinion in the context of his own personal relationship, so no, i wouldn't put much thought behind whether or not to 'trust' somebody based on that asinine criteria.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-carrey/the-judgment-on-vaccines_b_189777.html

there's an editorial he wrote on the subject. he hardly beats a blindly ignorant drum about the subject and seems genuinely curious and concerned that it COULD potentially be a problem if left out of control.

Beer-Belly
June 29th, 2013, 6:41 PM
i wouldn't pretend to know the personal nature of his adoption of the opinion and his possible change in that opinion in the context of his own personal relationship, so no, i wouldn't put much thought behind whether or not to 'trust' somebody based on that asinine criteria.Was it not clear that I was speaking hypothetically?

Jimmy Zero
June 29th, 2013, 6:49 PM
What difference does that make? It's still a pretty silly thing to bash someone for. Have you never supported, if only superficially, some dumb ass cause because your significant other was into it? If not, try dating a vegetarian. Or, even worse, a vegan.

To be clear, I still think his (or, more accurately, Jenny McCarthy's) stance on vaccine safety is completely retarded.

Beer-Belly
June 29th, 2013, 6:59 PM
I don't see any equivalency between being a vegetarian or a vegan and being anti-vaccine. I know you aren't saying there is one, but being against vaccinations clearly has consequences on other people in a way that being a vegan doesn't.

El Capitano Gatisto
June 29th, 2013, 8:28 PM
i wouldn't pretend to know the personal nature of his adoption of the opinion and his possible change in that opinion in the context of his own personal relationship, so no, i wouldn't put much thought behind whether or not to 'trust' somebody based on that asinine criteria.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-carrey/the-judgment-on-vaccines_b_189777.html

there's an editorial he wrote on the subject. he hardly beats a blindly ignorant drum about the subject and seems genuinely curious and concerned that it COULD potentially be a problem if left out of control.

That article is stupid. What's worse than beating a blindly ignorant drum is presenting pseudo-scientific argument to try to suggest there is a debate where there is none. For instance, he bangs on like a dickhead there about thimerosal about how vets removed it from animal vaccines years ago, when in fact thimerosal has never been in the MMR jab, and was removed from all childhood vaccinations in 2001 (despite absolutely no proof or biological rationale whatsoever that it's presence has any link to autism, it was largely in response to hysteria). He and all anti-vax pricks should shut the fuck up about it and try imagining a world with no vaccines, a place called "history" where children were lucky to make the age of 5 alive, if not permanently harmed by infectious diseases that have basically disappeared from daily life. The only reason some of these diseases are coming back and actually harming children are because of assholes like Jim Carrey writing misinformed bullshit like that dressed up to sound like rational scientific inquiry, appealing to dunderheaded middle-class fucking know-it-alls who gurn endlessly about "big pharma" yet fill the pockets of supermarkets and health food companies selling supplements that are, at best, worthless but at worst may actually be harmful (the only sure thing is that they generally don't do any good).

El Capitano Gatisto
June 29th, 2013, 8:31 PM
That looks like a decent film by the way.

Jimmy Zero
June 29th, 2013, 8:47 PM
I don't see any equivalency between being a vegetarian or a vegan and being anti-vaccine. I know you aren't saying there is one, but being against vaccinations clearly has consequences on other people in a way that being a vegan doesn't.

The actual cause is immaterial to the point I was making.

People support dumb shit for their significant other was my point.

Version 6
June 29th, 2013, 8:51 PM
The article is retarded.

Have a close look. The only "support" is for his proposition that further investigation and research is required in relation to vaccination of new born babies. Well, yes. That has happened and will continue to happen.

He offers absolutely no scientific support for his proposition that "vaccines are both good and bad". On what authority does he make that statement? With what evidence and with what credentials? It is irresponsible in the highest for him to write this kind of article in the first place for a myriad of reasons, but even more so to position his "conclusions" about vaccinations next to:
a) a 30 - 40 year old one paragraph, out of context extract; and
b) the Healy paragraph which makes no conclusion whatsoever other than calling for further research.

By doing so, he implies (by proximity) that Healy's comments support his conclusion. They don't.

Finally, the scattergun approach doesn't assist him at all. Is the issue the "toxins" or the viruses contained in the injection?

I'm more confused about his position after reading the article than I was before it.

And the disappointing thing about it is that people will read it, buy into it and adopt the mentality that "yes, there is a risk associated with vaccination, and yes, its perfectly okay for other children to take that risk to avoid the outbreak and spread of infectious disease to keep my child safe".

Version 6
June 29th, 2013, 8:56 PM

I don't think you know the difference between influenza and the common cold.

Morrison
June 29th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Was it not clear that I was speaking hypothetically?

what difference does that make? i'm speaking realistically.

Beer-Belly
June 30th, 2013, 4:37 AM
Alrighty then.

Anaconda Sniper
August 21st, 2013, 3:23 PM
Saw this Monday and man did I love it. So much fun..hit girl and motherfucker def stole the show. And Carey did as well..sucks he has to be a dbag about it but he did good in this film.

Bert
August 21st, 2013, 3:33 PM
I liked it. I wouldn't say I loved it, I thought the dialogue but pretty bad compared to the first one but it had some cool action scenes and some funny moments which is what I was going to see it for anyway. I'll most likely go see the 3rd in theaters.

eldanielfire
August 23rd, 2013, 7:56 PM
I liked it. The dialogue meant that HitGirl had far less wit to her character. The first one was flawed but great. This one is good and benefits from joking around the sick stuff in the comic which forgot the whole "teenage superhero in the real world" context and just turned into a sicko's fantasy.

Dream-Evil
August 24th, 2013, 4:05 AM
I liked it. I'm glad that the score was similar to the first. As it's one of my all time favourite film scores.

mr sabu
August 24th, 2013, 4:33 AM
i give it 3.5 cunts out of 5